What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Recently viewed movie thread - Rental Edition (5 Viewers)

I'd argue that says more about your age than the quality of a movie. Kids can't see bad acting. Kids can't see terrible writing. If you watch the first Star Wars movie from 1977, that is some TERRIBLE acting by Hammil and Fisher. If you saw that for the first time as a 45 year old, you'd be disappointed. 
I know I will be the first to admit 100% that it very well could be an age thing.  

It is a bonus if it is present, but I honestly don't expect great acting and story for a big blockbuster movie.  A lot of what made me fall in love with movies was the "oh #### - how did they do that??" moments from the movies I remember seeing as a kid.  IF a movie can come close to that now, I will forgive the story and acting because it still engrossed me enough to gloss over those things.  This is why I get grumpy with the overdone CG in most movies - very very rarely can I get myself to that point of being into a movie if it looks like a video game and I know it was just done on a computer.  That is when I would need the story and acting to kick in, and as we know, that is rare in the blockbuster type movies, so the the nitpicking rises and the enjoyment drops.  

I really liked the first F&F, but IMO it has long jumped the shark as our small time crooks are teaming now jumping off of planes, crashing through skyscrapers, driving tanks and whatever nonsense is going on.  I would forgive it more if they started that ridiculous from the first movie like The Expendables or something, but I just thought they got dumber and dumber as they pumped more and more out.   :shrug:

I know I will be the first to admit 100% that it very well could be an age thing.  

It is a bonus if it is present, but I honestly don't expect great acting and story for a big blockbuster movie.  A lot of what made me fall in love with movies was the "oh #### - how did they do that??" moments from the movies I remember seeing as a kid.  IF a movie can come close to that now, I will forgive the story and acting because it still engrossed me enough to gloss over those things.  This is why I get grumpy with the overdone CG in most movies - very very rarely can I get myself to that point of being into a movie if it looks like a video game and I know it was just done on a computer.  That is when I would need the story and acting to kick in, and as we know, that is rare in the blockbuster type movies, so the the nitpicking rises and the enjoyment drops.  

I really liked the first F&F, but IMO it has long jumped the shark as our small time crooks are teaming now jumping off of planes, crashing through skyscrapers, driving tanks and whatever nonsense is going on.  I would forgive it more if they started that ridiculous from the first movie like The Expendables or something, but I just thought they got dumber and dumber as they pumped more and more out.   :shrug:
You like super hero movies dont you?

DON'T YOU>!#>!>#!#@  :)

You like super hero movies dont you?

DON'T YOU>!#>!>#!#@  :)
I like some - Winter Soldier and Spidey: Homecoming I thought were great, but I could live without watching Thor, GotG, Dr. Strange, and the DC movies.  

I said this in the last few pages ( I think in my WW review) - what Marvel actually does well is they actually get real actors, even for the small parts, and I think that makes all the difference.  So even if it's a movie about a teen that can shoot webs, you have Michael Keaton and Marissa Tomei in the background.  I don't require everything to enjoy a movie, but if the 'action' is making me start to check out, there better be something else going on - story, acting, humor.  

Last edited by a moderator:
"Chimes at Midnight" - Orson Welles's amalgam of Falstaff's scenes from Shakespeare's history plays into one story, with the director portraying the man he was born to play - is on TCM @ 8pm tonite

DVR'd that one for sure. I also recommend:

Make Way For Tomorrow 7:45 AM Saturday the delightful Leo McCarey broke my heart with this movie when I first saw it. It's about the later stages of life- no job, kids have moved away and the world seems to have passed one by. Such a strong recommendation on this one.

Act of Violence is part of the Noir Alley Sunday at 10:00 AM. A great lesser known noir from Fred Zinneman. Just a couple years before he directed High Noon and From Here to Eternity, he unleashed the dark tale of a WW2 veteran hellbent on revenge. 
Watched it again last night. Marvelous. Immensely realistic 15th C battle and without the 300-to-none kill rates of modern hero epics. And the only actor i can think of who had that much fun playing a role is Billy Bob Thornton as Lorne Malvo

Looking fwd to Make Way....

AoV is great -  Zinneman was a film MVP in the realm of Curtiz & Lumet for half a century. Love every corny moment of his Julia 

ETA: I think it was Krista who first turned me onto C@M. Like many Welles films, legal baloney kept it from being viewed for decades and she noticed there was a copy showing on youtube, 5-10 yrs ago. My first view on a real screen last nite. Just marvelous

Last edited by a moderator:
Make Way For Tomorrow is the saddest movie I've ever seen. It's also terrific.

Watched half of Chimes At Midnight and wasn't really compelled to go back and finish it. 

Watched it again last night. Marvelous. Immensely realistic 15th C battle and without the 300-to-none kill rates of modern hero epics. And the only actor i can think of who had that much fun playing a role is Billy Bob Thornton as Lorne Malvo

Looking fwd to Make Way....

AoV is great -  Zinneman was a film MVP in the realm of Curtiz & Lumet for half a century. Love every corny moment of his Julia 

ETA: I think it was Krista who first turned me onto C@M. Like many Welles films, legal baloney kept it from being viewed for decades and she noticed there was a copy showing on youtube, 5-10 yrs ago. My first view on a real screen last nite. Just marvelous
Welles absolutely LOVED Make Way for Tomorrow. 

Finally went and saw The Shape of Water.  Really good movie! The whole cast was great, good story, maintained suspension throughout, great score.  There was one scene I didn't really like (B&W dancing) but that was it.  The guy playing the villain was really good and provided a bunch of comic relief.  I'll probably go see it again with my woman.

cockroach said:
Finally went and saw The Shape of Water.  Really good movie! The whole cast was great, good story, maintained suspension throughout, great score.  There was one scene I didn't really like (B&W dancing) but that was it.  The guy playing the villain was really good and provided a bunch of comic relief.  I'll probably go see it again with my woman.
Yeah I totally get that. It was an interesting choice. If I were to defend that, the scene to me speaks to the main character's life of silence and anonymity. Like, she looks like a boring, asexual janitor but she's this fully-formed woman inside. 

Yeah I totally get that. It was an interesting choice. If I were to defend that, the scene to me speaks to the main character's life of silence and anonymity. Like, she looks like a boring, asexual janitor but she's this fully-formed woman inside. 
I thought the bathtub scenes with the egg timer :thumbup: established that pretty well. 

I also thought to myself a couple times that there is no way some custodian/janitor is going to have this much unattended access to the most important/secret project ever in this heavily secure research facility, but had no issue suspending disbelief there. 

Saw Proud Mary this evening.

Its terrible. They advertise it as a kickass action movie. Its not. Its a drama with a stupid action scene at the very end. And the drama is terrible.

Taraji P. Henson is great. But the movie sucks.

cockroach said:
 The guy playing the villain was really good and provided a bunch of comic relief. 
Michael Shannon?  Amazing he’s still that unknown...I haven’t seen it but want to just because he’s playing the villain.

I saw Den of Thieves tonight.  Really solid action/heist flick, but too long in my book.  Gerard Butler was good, but everything with his wife and/or kids should have been on the editing floor.  Cinematography was pretty good, some cameos from some MMA guys, bunch of cool guns and attachments.  I don't really do Transformers or Fast and Furious, but movies like DoT are right up my alley.  I also like how they use the city almost as an extra character.  I give it a 4 out of 5 stars, a 80% fresh, a thumbs up and two snaps with a finger gun, bang! take that to the bank and rob it brohans

I just want to throw this out there.

I watch pretty much any movie - minus Horror/Gore.  I don't get into artsy flicks much but sometimes give them a shot.  Most "best picture" nominees I try to see but end up not seeing anyway.

I love almost any action and or comedy warts and all.

So Commando is one of my all time favorite movies.

Haven't seen that movie in 15 years if not more. Had a bunch of people over playing poker and commando comes on.

It literally turned into a Mystery Science Theater with all the commentary :lmao:

Like the super seedy bar in the middle of a shopping mall.

My point is I don't think those awesome action flicks of the past were much better as a whole.  Of course there are classics  :)
I just want to throw this out there too.

good post!

I just want to throw this out there.

I watch pretty much any movie - minus Horror/Gore.  I don't get into artsy flicks much but sometimes give them a shot.  Most "best picture" nominees I try to see but end up not seeing anyway.

I love almost any action and or comedy warts and all.

So Commando is one of my all time favorite movies.

Haven't seen that movie in 15 years if not more. Had a bunch of people over playing poker and commando comes on.

It literally turned into a Mystery Science Theater with all the commentary :lmao:

Like the super seedy bar in the middle of a shopping mall.

My point is I don't think those awesome action flicks of the past were much better as a whole.  Of course there are classics  :)
Cheesy movies can be really fun. Especially with everyone commenting like you described.  

Three Billboards Outside Ebbing Missouri   9/10

Easily the best movie I saw this year.  (I guess dating back through 2017). 

Just a GREAT cast.  Really great dialogue and story.  People will have varying opinions on whether they like the ending and if it's satisfying, I was ok with it.

I had heard a lot about this movie and the performances, and it met every expectation.  McDormand and Rockwell are so great, but even beyond them, there wasn't a bad performance in the lot.  I couldn't recommend this movie enough.

I could go on and on about the characters in this movie.  The woman that plays the role of Rockwell's mom - was great.

Peter Dinklage has a small role, (no pun intended) but it's so great. 

One of my favorite exchanges in the movie between McDormand and her son.

Robbie:  you're an old c*nt!

Mildred:  I'm not old! 

:lmao:

We saw Life recently- the Alien meets Gravity pitched movie. original. other than being a rehash. so I guess not very original. writing was pretty dreadful, which made what should have been a decent cast pretty dreadful. but the alien was well done.

Hella TCM double feature tonite, if'n you wanna stay up late & dig some furriners - Wings of Desire @ 10:15pm & Day For Night @ 12:45am
:wub:

wings is my favorite movie on most days. havent' seen DfN since college, but loved it... dammit. we don't have TCM any more. :kicksrock:  

I saw Den of Thieves tonight.  Really solid action/heist flick, but too long in my book.  Gerard Butler was good, but everything with his wife and/or kids should have been on the editing floor.  Cinematography was pretty good, some cameos from some MMA guys, bunch of cool guns and attachments.  I don't really do Transformers or Fast and Furious, but movies like DoT are right up my alley.  I also like how they use the city almost as an extra character.  I give it a 4 out of 5 stars, a 80% fresh, a thumbs up and two snaps with a finger gun, bang! take that to the bank and rob it brohans
I liked that movie better when it was called 'Heat' with Al Pacino in the Gerard Butler role

Side note: take that to the bank and rob it brohans :lmao: :lmao:

Thor : Ragnarok should be coming to a Red Box near you soon. 

Fun time :thumbup:

First credit cookie is worth waiting for, second one at the end did make me laugh though

Thor : Ragnarok should be coming to a Red Box near you soon. 

Fun time :thumbup:

First credit cookie is worth waiting for, second one at the end did make me laugh though
Serious question- is Red Box still out there in stores? Floppinha recently shot a commercial for it, but I just assumed it was set up more like old Netflix, with delivered product.

Outside of Madison, WI.   Each small town around us has 1-2, and they are in just about any grocery store, Walmart/Walgreens I've been to in Madison as well. 
You don't have to go more than a mile or two just about anywhere in Austin, usually closer

There's one around the block at the 7/11.

They also have this big Amazon multi mailbox. Anyone see those? I guess if you don't want to risk having them stolen from your house, you can have it sent there?

wow... thanks for the replies. I see them on the coast in MD, but otherwise not. mostly because I don't know if they exist in NYC, and I unfortunately barely exist outside of NYC. 

this definitely explains why they'd still be shooting commercials for their product.

wow... thanks for the replies. I see them on the coast in MD, but otherwise not. mostly because I don't know if they exist in NYC, and I unfortunately barely exist outside of NYC. 

this definitely explains why they'd still be shooting commercials for their product.
so do you need even further prompting to gush about your little girl becoming a more formidable breadwinner than you?

Fans of Thor: Ragnarok should check out The Hunt For Wilderpeople.

Totally different movie, but it's the same director and you can see similar humor in both movies.

Three Billboards Outside Ebbing Missouri   9/10

Easily the best movie I saw this year.  (I guess dating back through 2017). 

Just a GREAT cast.  Really great dialogue and story.  People will have varying opinions on whether they like the ending and if it's satisfying, I was ok with it.

I had heard a lot about this movie and the performances, and it met every expectation.  McDormand and Rockwell are so great, but even beyond them, there wasn't a bad performance in the lot.  I couldn't recommend this movie enough.

I could go on and on about the characters in this movie.  The woman that plays the role of Rockwell's mom - was great.

Peter Dinklage has a small role, (no pun intended) but it's so great. 

One of my favorite exchanges in the movie between McDormand and her son.

Robbie:  you're an old c*nt!

Mildred:  I'm not old! 

:lmao:
I loved it, especially Rockwell and of course McDormand.  Over a drink after the movie last night, my wife and I were in complete agreement that its one of the best of the year for us, but we also both had the same minor complaint.  I'd like to put it in spoiler tags to discuss, but don't know how to do that, and its not really all that interesting.  Basically, the movie's appeal to a large degree is the interplay between comedy juxtaposed with brutal violence and drama, with snappy dialogue in a Cohen Bros / Tarrantino style.  There were a couple areas when I thought this went too far and became somewhat of a weakness, particularly involving the ex-husband's young girlfriend and some of Rockwell's dialogue. My wife also though Woody Harrelson's wife was way too young and hot.

Bates Motel:

I actually ended up falling for this one, and it's reminded me why I stopped watching TV shows and the downside of binge watching - wwwaaaayyy too much of one TV series consumed in the last couple weeks.  I am one episode away from being done with Season 4, so there are only 11 episodes left total.  There is some underlying camp, but I really do love what they did with the characters of Norma and Norman.  It's an absolute clinic on acting watching Highmore and Farmiga - there is just so much going on in the background with reactions and ticks, their ability to get in and out of their different sides of their personalities, and it's great writing to be able to pull off something so interesting when you know exactly where this show is going to end up.  

Couldn't sleep and got stuck on Valley of Violence.  Travolta and Hawke so how bad could it be. 

Truly awful.  Might be the worst movie I've seen in awhile. 

CletiusMaximus said:
My wife also though Woody Harrelson's wife was way too young and hot.
Yeah, that's a systemic problem with most movies. Cast someone normal and appropriate and the role is far more believable. 

Users who are viewing this thread