What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Recently viewed movie thread - Rental Edition (2 Viewers)

I watched High Flying Bird last night on NF. It was on one of the lists I saw, is a Soderbergh movie, and I thought it was pretty damn good.  

@krista4 I assume your issue with Transit is them making no attempt to put in the correct period? I kind of liked it. 
Nah, the endless, continuous, non-stop, completely unnecessary voice-over.  Arrrghgghgghggghh.

The last scene of the movie was fantastic, btw.

I watched High Flying Bird last night on NF. It was on one of the lists I saw, is a Soderbergh movie, and I thought it was pretty damn good.  
Might watch this tonight.  :thumbup:  

Nah, the endless, continuous, non-stop, completely unnecessary voice-over.  Arrrghgghgghggghh.

The last scene of the movie was fantastic, btw.

Might watch this tonight.  :thumbup:  
Very voiceover heavy. I seem not to have the predisposed dislike of voiceover though. 

Very voiceover heavy. I seem not to have the predisposed dislike of voiceover though. 
This was one of the most egregiously unnecessary uses of it I've ever seen, though.  The guy would literally narrate things we were watching on screen.  "Then he crossed the street," as the protagonist crossed the street (not an actual example, but close).

About a rookie in the NBA during a lockout.  

Maybe would make a good movie club pairing with Hoop Dreams?  
I had it on my list since I love Soderbergh, and your post made me push it to the top.  God, I love Hoop Dreams so much, too.

Also just bought tix to see both 1917 and Jojo Rabbit tomorrow.  :)  

This was one of the most egregiously unnecessary uses of it I've ever seen, though.  The guy would literally narrate things we were watching on screen.  "Then he crossed the street," as the protagonist crossed the street (not an actual example, but close).

I had it on my list since I love Soderbergh, and your post made me push it to the top.  God, I love Hoop Dreams so much, too.

I wonder if because it was foreign and I was just reading it that the redundant narration don’t bother me as much.

I might be overselling it, but I love me some Soderbergh and enjoyed the flick.  

We finally saw Parasite last night and there's no question it is among the top movies of the year for me and (I think probably) my wife as well.  She's a much tougher critic.  Bong is a master of the class themes and does a great job with it in this movie.  We had a discussion this morning  regarding the ending:

The last third of the movie, starting with the thunderstorm, is just a non-stop fantastic sequence beating the viewer over the head with the upstairs/downstairs theme.  The Kim family escaping and walking down down down through the rain to their flooded neighborhood. The Parks bringing in the entire Kim family to help with their Indian kid's party after the flooding in the slums.  The dad driving Mrs. Park around, doing the slow burn while she talks on the phone to her rich friends about what a beautiful day it is.  It was a great build.

I'm not sure it was necessary to kill the final fantasy with the last shot of the son back in the semi-basement apartment, but it was I guess good for Bong to deliver that final gut punch.  However, my initial thought was the entire final "vision" was a fantasy, including even the morse code part and the whole idea of the father returning to the basement.  I assumed the delusional son was fantasizing the whole thing about his dad living in the basement.  I get that it fits nicely with Bong's themes, but seems inconsistent for me with the dad's theme (a great character in this movie), and also just highly improbable he would slink away and stay down there, yet still type out this long morse code letter every single night for years. 

I might be overselling it, but I love me some Soderbergh and enjoyed the flick.  
I thought it was terrific.  Plus, Richie Havens songs!  Actually believe this would have been a good pairing this month with Last Black Man in San Francisco.  Now you'll have to pair it with Jerry Maguire sometime.  :lol:   

I thought it was terrific.  Plus, Richie Havens songs!  Actually believe this would have been a good pairing this month with Last Black Man in San Francisco.  Now you'll have to pair it with Jerry Maguire sometime.  :lol:   
0 chance of that.  That would require me to watch Jerry Maguire again.  ;)

We finally saw Parasite last night and there's no question it is among the top movies of the year for me and (I think probably) my wife as well.  She's a much tougher critic.  Bong is a master of the class themes and does a great job with it in this movie.  We had a discussion this morning  regarding the ending:

The last third of the movie, starting with the thunderstorm, is just a non-stop fantastic sequence beating the viewer over the head with the upstairs/downstairs theme.  The Kim family escaping and walking down down down through the rain to their flooded neighborhood. The Parks bringing in the entire Kim family to help with their Indian kid's party after the flooding in the slums.  The dad driving Mrs. Park around, doing the slow burn while she talks on the phone to her rich friends about what a beautiful day it is.  It was a great build.

I'm not sure it was necessary to kill the final fantasy with the last shot of the son back in the semi-basement apartment, but it was I guess good for Bong to deliver that final gut punch.  However, my initial thought was the entire final "vision" was a fantasy, including even the morse code part and the whole idea of the father returning to the basement.  I assumed the delusional son was fantasizing the whole thing about his dad living in the basement.  I get that it fits nicely with Bong's themes, but seems inconsistent for me with the dad's theme (a great character in this movie), and also just highly improbable he would slink away and stay down there, yet still type out this long morse code letter every single night for years. 
i think you are mostly right about the ending. if i knew how to hide comments then i'd go into more detail. 

i took the son's "Vision" to be fantasy. i can buy that he revisits the house surreptitiously and noticed the lights from his father. however, the "plan" he has for himself and the family referenced the conversation he had with his father earlier. in effect, there is none and only offers the illusion of control in one's life.  his father is doomed to remain in the basement, just like he and his mother are. 

i am reminded time and again of just how stratified the social hierarchy is in South Korea. it is an added layer to the story for me.

Last edited by a moderator:
i think you are mostly right about the ending. if i knew how to hide comments then i'd go into more detail. 
Type a bracket and write "spoiler" inside followed by end bracket. 

["Spoiler"] ...without the quoatation marks. Everything you write after that will be spoilered.

Just watched Cannes grand Prix winner Atlantics. beautifully filmed and fantastic ability to take you into coastal ...I think it was Senegal...for the sights and sounds in a way that lived in and not just visited. Felt the story and acting were a level or two below those elements. Tough to fully recommend, unless visuals and mis en scene are your thing.

Just watched Cannes grand Prix winner Atlantics. beautifully filmed and fantastic ability to take you into coastal ...I think it was Senegal...for the sights and sounds in a way that lived in and not just visited. Felt the story and acting were a level or two below those elements. Tough to fully recommend, unless visuals and mis en scene are your thing.
I’ve been wondering about this one.  Will keep it on my list, but I’m not sure it’s going to be for me.

Just saw 1917.  Enjoyed it more than I expected, as war movies aren’t my favorites.  Though Parasite is still my favorite 2019 movie by far, I couldn’t complain if this won Best Picture.

Jojo Rabbit up next!

Just saw Knives Out. Agree with all the praise it’s getting. Bit slow to start but picked up as it went on and a really good ending. Great cast. 

saintfool said:

i took the son's "Vision" to be fantasy. i can buy that he revisits the house surreptitiously and noticed the lights from his father. however, the "plan" he has for himself and the family referenced the conversation he had with his father earlier. in effect, there is none and only offers the illusion of control in one's life.  his father is doomed to remain in the basement, just like he and his mother are. 

i am reminded time and again of just how stratified the social hierarchy is in South Korea. it is an added layer to the story for me.

Reveal hidden contents
I think it could be argued from the three's company slapstick family fall down the stairs onwards, it's all fantasy. But I think you could also make a point that ultimately the son decides to make a plan, rather than go the dad's route...and that could be called a moral here*. 

But yeah...the class servitude thing hits pretty damn close to home for me. Including the beautiful architecture featuring as a prominent character.

Eta...*whether the fantasy actually happens later or not

I think it could be argued from the three's company slapstick family fall down the stairs onwards, it's all fantasy. But I think you could also make a point that ultimately the son decides to make a plan, rather than go the dad's route...and that could be called a moral here*. 

But yeah...the class servitude thing hits pretty damn close to home for me. Including the beautiful architecture featuring as a prominent character.

Eta...*whether the fantasy actually happens later or not
related to the film

when they fell down the stairs and found the old man, i was really expecting it to be the architect instead of her husband. the part where she "came with the previous owner" had me hoping it would take that kind of darker turn. i don't think Korean society allows for much social mobility and that's one of the more pitiable aspects of his "plan". it is utter fantasy on his part and he knows it. 

ultimately, i think the film functions very well as satire. i've had Snowpiercer on the queue for months and months now. likely bumping it up to the top of the list because of Parasite.

watched the Leslie Jones stand up special last night. It was funny but not hilarious. if you liked her on SNL then you'll like this too. 

the John Mulaney and the Sack Lunch Bunch special followed. it was funny, too, and not what i was expecting. it felt a bit like a cross between Wonder Showzen and an SNL bit at times. loved the cameos and special guests. 

related to the film

when they fell down the stairs and found the old man, i was really expecting it to be the architect instead of her husband. the part where she "came with the previous owner" had me hoping it would take that kind of darker turn. i don't think Korean society allows for much social mobility and that's one of the more pitiable aspects of his "plan". it is utter fantasy on his part and he knows it. 

ultimately, i think the film functions very well as satire. i've had Snowpiercer on the queue for months and months now. likely bumping it up to the top of the list because of Parasite.

Hide contents
I had the same thought, re the inhabitant.

Also reminded of the Chabrol film, Ceremonie...although that one was darker by a long stretch. I remember giving it the Bronx cheer at the end...felt like I hated it in the moment. But made me think more and more later, and realized my dislike was it's intent- I associated with the so-called victims and couldn't see past my own bourgeois glasses...in the moment.

Ad Astra...

Pros: solid acting, great mood/ambience, good special effects

Cons: some curious decisions made in the script-writing, and I'm no professional, but the science seemed questionable at times

2.5/5

I'm giving up on network TV shows, but the good cable and streaming shows are better than most films these days. 
Dont agree with this, but fully aware that many feel this way.   Agree that the production value is up,  but for me it's quite rare that I think a show maintains a high level through multiple seasons.  Mostly I think they have a couple of seasons of good material, then stretch on too long. 

ETA:  I get the draw of the multiple hours to explore a character(s), but I still gravitate to the art of being able to tell a great and entertaining story in about 2 hours.  

Guess I should swing back here on Jojo Rabbit as the second of what turned out to be my triple feature on Saturday.  It was...clever...and cute.  The guy playing Hitler, who Mr. krista told me later was the director but I haven't confirmed independently, was fabulous.  But, just not a movie that will be memorable for me.  Certainly quite good in the context of a single year, though.

Later that night we ended up watching The Dead Don't Die, which was an anti-favorite of El Floppo IIRC.  Yeah, it definitely isn't going to make my "best of 2019" list, but I actually found it pretty hilarious.  Whaddya know.

Today on a flight I watched The Farewell.  Another one with high expectations that weren't met.  I remember well the This American Life segment that this was based on, and I had fairly high hopes based on that and positive reviews.  My biggest issue with this movie was the antipathy I felt for the main character.  When she wasn't being an utter beeyatch, she was a complete mope.  So even though some of the other characters were charming - Grandma in particular of course - I didn't feel a damn thing for the family in general.  There were so many opportunities for interesting concepts to be addressed, in particular relating to "real" Chinese vs those who have left for other opportunities, but it seemed like a lot of typical emotional manipulations were trotted out instead and fell completely flat for me.

Not quite apples to apples, but if I would list my top 20 movies of the decade, I would much rather watch those again than any equivalent amount of a TV show from the same time period (that would be about 4 seasons worth?) 

Wife was out of town for a few days, so I caught up on Parasite, Once Upon a Time in Hollywood, The Big Short (somehow still hadn't seen this), and Joker.

I liked them all, though Parasite didn't resonate with me as much as it did with everyone here.  Maybe it was just over my head.  I'd rate them...

The Big Short

Once Upon a Time
Joker

Parasite

krista4 said:
Guess I should swing back here on Jojo Rabbit as the second of what turned out to be my triple feature on Saturday.  It was...clever...and cute.  The guy playing Hitler, who Mr. krista told me later was the director but I haven't confirmed independently, was fabulous.  But, just not a movie that will be memorable for me.  Certainly quite good in the context of a single year, though.

Later that night we ended up watching The Dead Don't Die, which was an anti-favorite of El Floppo IIRC.  Yeah, it definitely isn't going to make my "best of 2019" list, but I actually found it pretty hilarious.  Whaddya know.

Today on a flight I watched The Farewell.  Another one with high expectations that weren't met.  I remember well the This American Life segment that this was based on, and I had fairly high hopes based on that and positive reviews.  My biggest issue with this movie was the antipathy I felt for the main character.  When she wasn't being an utter beeyatch, she was a complete mope.  So even though some of the other characters were charming - Grandma in particular of course - I didn't feel a damn thing for the family in general.  There were so many opportunities for interesting concepts to be addressed, in particular relating to "real" Chinese vs those who have left for other opportunities, but it seemed like a lot of typical emotional manipulations were trotted out instead and fell completely flat for me.
This is Jarmusch, right? I have kind of a love/hate thing with him. The stuff of his that I love - namely Dead Man, Night on Earth, and Broken Flowers - are so very specific in tone. There's a lot of his work that leaves me bored to tears. 

krista4 said:

This is Jarmusch, right? I have kind of a love/hate thing with him. The stuff of his that I love - namely Dead Man, Night on Earth, and Broken Flowers - are so very specific in tone. There's a lot of his work that leaves me bored to tears. 
Man...I can't remember that movie at all, but when I Googled it, kind of recall K4s comment. 

I think you and I have discussed Jarmusch before... Recent stuff just doesn't work for me at all, even if I appreciate some things he's doing- I've given up bothering. But I love love love Down By Law, and still enjoy Stranger than Paradise. Dead Man amd Earth were interesting, but didn't love. I liked broken Flowers quite a bit, but mostly for Murray's performance more than the film.

Just googled his catalogue... Better than I'm giving credit for. Ghost Dog was fun, and no obvious stinkers to me, even though I wasn't a fan of mystery train 

Mea culpa that I have never seen Moonlight (my son was born in 2016 and I missed a lot from that year). Saw it was on Netflix and started watching last night.  About halfway through it, and pretty incredible so far. I can see why it ended up at or near the top of many best of the decade lists.

KarmaPolice said:
Dont agree with this, but fully aware that many feel this way.   Agree that the production value is up,  but for me it's quite rare that I think a show maintains a high level through multiple seasons.  Mostly I think they have a couple of seasons of good material, then stretch on too long. 

ETA:  I get the draw of the multiple hours to explore a character(s), but I still gravitate to the art of being able to tell a great and entertaining story in about 2 hours.  
Aren't many films better than any one season of these shows:

Godless
Trust
Taboo
Succession
Bloodline
Fargo

Mea culpa that I have never seen Moonlight (my son was born in 2016 and I missed a lot from that year). Saw it was on Netflix and started watching last night.  About halfway through it, and pretty incredible so far. I can see why it ended up at or near the top of many best of the decade lists.
I thought the first 2/3 was excellent, but the last 1/3 really dragged.

Overall a very good film, but not a great one.

Aren't many films better than any one season of these shows:

Godless
Trust
Taboo
Succession
Bloodline
Fargo
Again, I realize its not apples to apples.  Most movies have a better budget and shows have the benefit of extra time for development.  

I have only seen one of your list, but that one fits what I said- good for a bit, then IMO hit a wall.  I just dont see what the masses do for TV shows.  

Again, I realize its not apples to apples.  Most movies have a better budget and shows have the benefit of extra time for development.  
I would say that's not so for Succession, Trust and Taboo. Big budgets. We don't have to agree on this, but until you watch those shows, it's hard to get into a deep conversation about this. 

I would say that's not so for Succession, Trust and Taboo. Big budgets. We don't have to agree on this, but until you watch those shows, it's hard to get into a deep conversation about this. 
It's not like I haven't seen big budget shows, just not those.   Mostly I am just a movie nerd/snob and even shows I have loved IMO dont hold a candle to a great movie.  

But again, different mediums as well.  

It's not like I haven't seen big budget shows, just not those.   Mostly I am just a movie nerd/snob and even shows I have loved IMO dont hold a candle to a great movie.  

But again, different mediums as well.  
Right, but you just said a "great" movie. I'm contending that modern dramas are better than most movies, and the evidence supports this. Yes, there's nothing like a great movie. But how many great movies have you seen in the last 10 years? Seven? Eight?  Independent films used to be the home for great writing and fantastic acting. And now, aside from that handful of great movies, the talent has migrated to series and miniseries. 

Right, but you just said a "great" movie. I'm contending that modern dramas are better than most movies, and the evidence supports this. Yes, there's nothing like a great movie. But how many great movies have you seen in the last 10 years? Seven? Eight?  Independent films used to be the home for great writing and fantastic acting. And now, aside from that handful of great movies, the talent has migrated to series and miniseries. 
There were maybe 10 great movies this year alone imo 

There were maybe 10 great movies this year alone imo 
I think we might have to define the word "great." I loved Parasite and Once Upon a Time in Hollywood, and I could call them great. And yet, as a percentage, about 60% of any given year's films are bad, about 10% are mediocre, another 25% are good, and about 5% are great. Anyway, I'm getting sidetracked. If you're not watching the good series, you're missing out on some incredible material. 

I think we might have to define the word "great." I loved Parasite and Once Upon a Time in Hollywood, and I could call them great. And yet, as a percentage, about 60% of any given year's films are bad, about 10% are mediocre, another 25% are good, and about 5% are great. Anyway, I'm getting sidetracked. If you're not watching the good series, you're missing out on some incredible material. 
I’ll need to give some of your recommendations a shot. Succession is the only I’ve seen but the last couple years I’ve been a little disappointed in the new series I’ve seen. 

As for movies, I think this has been an abnormally strong year. 

I’ll need to give some of your recommendations a shot. Succession is the only I’ve seen but the last couple years I’ve been a little disappointed in the new series I’ve seen. 

Definitely. 

I urge you to watch Taboo and Trust. FX is doing incredible work. 

As was 2017.  I am sure we could name 30+ movies in those two years that were great.  

I just think people underestimate the quality of movies in the last decade and overestimate the quality of TV shows.  I think a bit part of that is the narrative that it's nothing but superhero movies out there and part that we have 30 shows at our fingertips and it's a good portion of what the streaming options focus on.  

Users who are viewing this thread