What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ran a 10k - Official Thread (2 Viewers)

I'd much rather be wearing shorts and sweating at 69 degrees than bundling up and running in single digits.  Its not even close.
The process of bundling up is the worst. I spent about 5 minutes this morning trying to fine a second beanie so I could double up. I have a nice, warm pair of mittens that look like they were designed for men who work in freezers. However, after putting on the first one, the limited dexterity makes putting on the second one extremely difficult. I end up using my teeth. Shirtless summer runs are so much easier.

See my name get mentioned. Check the responses. Never change, guys.
Remind the crowd that you not only run in the constant FL heat, but you also chill in your ice bath fridge unit.  You're a bad ### on both ends of the spectrum.  

Last edited by a moderator:
19 feels like 5.

:mellow:

Off I go?
It was cold, but I was dressed well for it. All systems go until a polar bear attack 2/3 of the way through. Wanted to jump a bike to outrun it, but the phone turned off in the cold so I couldn't unlock one. No public bathrooms and no way I was going to shovel it on Avenue B.

Which distances are the Marcos running?
For right now, none.  Still signed up for that HM in March.  That said, I'll talk to the wife when she gets home later.  I don't think I want to do both races, but I would consider switching to this one instead of the HM and use it as another experience/practice run like I was planning with the Mesa Marathon we were supposed to do next month.  If I do this, it would be the full, especially with it being a flat race.

It was cold, but I was dressed well for it. All systems go until a polar bear attack 2/3 of the way through. Wanted to jump a bike to outrun it, but the phone turned off in the cold so I couldn't unlock one. No public bathrooms and no way I was going to shovel it on Avenue B.
I went over lunch - 23 degrees with 24mph winds (30-40 gusts).  Was not real fun.  Didn't help that I opted for thicker gloves and my hands started sweating, so I had to choose between getting them frozen by the wind or continuing to sweat.

On the phone, I have an older phone that gets temperamental in the cold, and I've started turning my running belt around so that it sits next to my lower back.  I've had good luck with this method so far - I think it does a better job of keeping the wind from rapidly cooling it.

I went over lunch - 23 degrees with 24mph winds (30-40 gusts).  Was not real fun.  Didn't help that I opted for thicker gloves and my hands started sweating, so I had to choose between getting them frozen by the wind or continuing to sweat.

On the phone, I have an older phone that gets temperamental in the cold, and I've started turning my running belt around so that it sits next to my lower back.  I've had good luck with this method so far - I think it does a better job of keeping the wind from rapidly cooling it.
Is that 23, or -23?

Those winds in that cold is impressive.  I don’t think I’d make it out the door with those winds.

Is that 23, or -23?

Those winds in that cold is impressive.  I don’t think I’d make it out the door with those winds.
Sorry, I have a bad habit of using too many hyphens - didn't even notice how it could be misinterpreted.  It was +23 degrees F, although the wind chill was something like 7.  Cold, but not Zasada level cold.  Fortunately the lowest raw temperature I've had to run in was 8 degrees or so.  All time low for my neck of the woods is -12 I believe.

Sorry, I have a bad habit of using too many hyphens - didn't even notice how it could be misinterpreted.  It was +23 degrees F, although the wind chill was something like 7.  Cold, but not Zasada level cold.  Fortunately the lowest raw temperature I've had to run in was 8 degrees or so.  All time low for my neck of the woods is -12 I believe.
I'm postponing my run to a little later today..was 17 when I woke up to head out, but supposed to warm to 30 in the afternoon. I'll take it.

I did a 10m race in central park during my tri days where it was 4deg. My fuel belt drinks froze, my tears froze, my franks and beans froze. That's the coldest I've dealt with outside of my last college soccer game in the round of 16 in the NCAAs on a slurpee field away to dartmouth. Feet were frozen and totally numb- didn't know one of them had gotten mangled until showering after and the pain that came with the thaw.

I'm postponing my run to a little later today..was 17 when I woke up to head out, but supposed to warm to 30 in the afternoon. I'll take it.
24. Going out now so I can try to play tennis with floppinha when it hits it's warmest in a few. I don't think the kids have left the apt in days. Plus, floppinho is doing jazz right now (drumming in a small apt is awesome)- time to hit the road.

So, had a 5k today that is fun times. Trail run that is in a park with far too many mole trails in it that were nice and frozen and bumpy. Then it also goes down a steep hill and along the river bank with multiple downed trees to hurdle. It's an awesome fun trail 5k. Did the same race last year but the tweaked the course a bit - measured about .15 too short according to my watch last year about .1 too long this time. I averaged about 43 seconds/mile slower this time around and heart rate averaged about 4 bpm higher. Not a huge surprise on either one - I definitely have some work to do to get back to where I was but it is coming along.

And, these events are just a blast with the crazy trails/course. I've said it before (and likely will say it again in the future) but these races are what I had always pictured cross country meets being like before I ever actually ran one 30 something years ago. I always expected a pseudo obstacle course, which this was with the downed trees and such. 

Glad I waited...it was gorgeous out there. Mid 20s, sunny, and no wind. Only problem with a mid-day run is it was more crowded than my quiet dawn run. Traffic patterns totally different too in Brooklyn- nothing but red lights on the way in to the park, all green on the way back.

I had no real plans outside of putting a longer run in and maybe pushing the park. Kept the phone tucked into the inside palm of my outer glove, which worked great for keeping it alive, less so for looking at it for pace. But just as well- ended up pushing things more than it felt, especially after a longish mile-wise week. And PRed the park, although if I had known my pace I could have dropped it sub 7. 

All in all, feel really good about where I am. Thanks to you guys, I've banked a couple months worth of 30+ weeks and I'm starting to see and feel the dividends with easier miles at pace.

Buddy wanted to do a gravel ride today, supposed to be 28 at the start, was 26, riding around 14mph put the wind chill at 13. That was fun. Don't be a poooosay!

Dr_Zaius said:
I ran in 10F Friday morning and it was fine but there was no wind. Wind is so brutal in the cold, just cuts right to the core.

I ran in 10F Friday morning and it was fine but there was no wind. Wind is so brutal in the cold, just cuts right to the core.
I'm fortunate in that I can pick routes in any direction (from my near-west Chicago suburb).  I check the forecast in the morning, and make plans to head into the wind, which means the back half of each run is not as bad.

Users who are viewing this thread