What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ran a 10k - Official Thread (12 Viewers)

Bailed on running this morning. Slept badly, felt crappy even though i got up to do it. Feel worse for not doing it. In a funk about my current job which shouldn't suck as much as it does...but its affecting the rest of my life.  :(

End/whine.
Good luck with the job and the funk. Don’t beat yourself up over the unplanned rest day, plenty of other things to beat yourself up over 😉

79F this morning at 0415 and I still wished that I could go run.  

Need to remember this feeling in the future when it's this hot and I can actually run.
I understand the struggle.  I hope you can get back out there soon.

I'm now in full summer mode and want to run 10 miles every day.  Of course, I need to be careful to not go too far with it.  I'm at 36 miles for Monday through Wednesday.  I'll probably take tomorrow off and ride the Peloton to let the legs reset.

Marathon training is right around the corner.

Boys -- its looking more and more likely its London for this fall for my race.  I will likely lead a pace group at Indianapolis.  Thinking I'll try to lead the 3:30 pace group.  It will be a month after London so I should be able to handle 3:30 with no issues.

Admittedly, they may slot me at a different time for Indy. We will see.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey @gianmarcoand @Zasada — I don’t think i can do the 4x4x48 later on.  I need to get moving on marathon training so I’m considering starting my 4x4x48 tomorrow night.

hopefully you guys can do yours together. It’s always good to have a buddy on these things.  

Hey @gianmarcoand @Zasada — I don’t think i can do the 4x4x48 later on.  I need to get moving on marathon training so I’m considering starting my 4x4x48 tomorrow night.

hopefully you guys can do yours together. It’s always good to have a buddy on these things.  
I'd be interested in doing 4x4x24 or 4x4x48 with these other fools later depending upon timing.  And no, I'm still not a runner. I just don't sleep and I can walk for long distances.

Today I learned my brother has signed up for the NYC marathon in November.  It's his first marathon (he's done half-marathons), and he will be just turning 58.  I'd ask you guys for advice if he didn't already know everything.

I'd be interested in doing 4x4x24 or 4x4x48 with these other fools later depending upon timing.  And no, I'm still not a runner. I just don't sleep and I can walk for long distances.

Today I learned my brother has signed up for the NYC marathon in November.  It's his first marathon (he's done half-marathons), and he will be just turning 58.  I'd ask you guys for advice if he didn't already know everything.
He sounds like my brother. Other than the running part. Also 58. Howd he sign up...though a charity group?

Boys -- its looking more and more likely its London for this fall for my race.  I will likely lead a pace group at Indianapolis.  Thinking I'll try to lead the 3:30 pace group.  It will be a month after London so I should be able to handle 3:30 with no issues.

Admittedly, they may slot me at a different time for Indy. We will see.
Motivation...

:popcorn:

Went hoping to see the eclipse, but poorly placed clouds ruined it..

Anybody else catch this?

Also was set to do my speed work, and had to pull the plug. Feeling stressed, leg-weary and underslept.

After the talk with Fred last week, decided i shouldnt fight it and just turn this into a recovery week. So i am.

Also get to see my mom tonight for the first time in a year and a half....things are turning around already.

Ummm, check your notebook.  I'm on IR, and while 4x4x48 might be appealing when I'm back to running, I didn't volunteer for this particular occurrence.  

I don't think juan did either!

Enjoy.

A couple of good runs in a row.  On Tuesday night I waited until the sun was almost down, and despite a starting temperature of 82°, I managed to get outside and run 9 miles at 7:39 average pace and a AHR of only 140.  I didn't die at the end, either, as my last two miles were my fastest at 7:19 and 7:13.

Then last night I hit the treadmill for a pretty tough workout.  Almost bailed when the first portion felt sluggish, and if I had the option of doing it today instead I probably would've, but since I don't, I decided that I'd try to gut it out.  Started with a warmup of 1.5 miles, then did intervals of 2/4/6/8/9/10 minutes at 6:15 pace with recovery jogs equal to half the interval (2-minute interval, 1-minute recovery, 4-minute interval, 2-minute recovery, etc.).  I didn't think I'd be able to complete the workout, but as it turns out, it was actually comfortably uncomfortable.

Rest day today (Bucks game tonight, praying they can somehow get the win), then an easy 10 miles tomorrow and 18 steady-pace LR (720-740s) on Saturday.

A couple of good runs in a row.  On Tuesday night I waited until the sun was almost down, and despite a starting temperature of 82°, I managed to get outside and run 9 miles at 7:39 average pace and a AHR of only 140.  I didn't die at the end, either, as my last two miles were my fastest at 7:19 and 7:13.

Then last night I hit the treadmill for a pretty tough workout.  Almost bailed when the first portion felt sluggish, and if I had the option of doing it today instead I probably would've, but since I don't, I decided that I'd try to gut it out.  Started with a warmup of 1.5 miles, then did intervals of 2/4/6/8/9/10 minutes at 6:15 pace with recovery jogs equal to half the interval (2-minute interval, 1-minute recovery, 4-minute interval, 2-minute recovery, etc.).  I didn't think I'd be able to complete the workout, but as it turns out, it was actually comfortably uncomfortable.

Rest day today (Bucks game tonight, praying they can somehow get the win), then an easy 10 miles tomorrow and 18 steady-pace LR (720-740s) on Saturday.
Is your plan still to prioritize Monumental over Boston? I kind of wish I didn't read your post as I am going to run my long run tomorrow and was planning on running 16. I realized yesterday that I haven't run 18 miles in training since Oct 2018, I have to get back in the marathon training frame of mind sooner or later so I guess I'll run 18 tomorrow. I'm not going to worry about the pace though until July.

Is your plan still to prioritize Monumental over Boston? I kind of wish I didn't read your post as I am going to run my long run tomorrow and was planning on running 16. I realized yesterday that I haven't run 18 miles in training since Oct 2018, I have to get back in the marathon training frame of mind sooner or later so I guess I'll run 18 tomorrow. I'm not going to worry about the pace though until July.
Yeah, that's the plan.  Hard to pass on racing Monumental with the weather being so predictably perfect and the course being so flat and fast.  And none of the PITA logistics of Boston.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm glad you read his post - those extra couple miles don't seem like much on paper, but in practice...well, you know. 

Ummm, check your notebook.  I'm on IR, and while 4x4x48 might be appealing when I'm back to running, I didn't volunteer for this particular occurrence.  

I don't think juan did either!

Enjoy.
Yeah, I think he got us "Z's" confused.  I'm up for the 4x4x24 at some point, but I'm not sure when I can fit it into my schedule.  Also, it almost has to be on a weekend for me, and I think gian said he needs a weekday, so we'll see.

Went hoping to see the eclipse, but poorly placed clouds ruined it..

Anybody else catch this?

Also was set to do my speed work, and had to pull the plug. Feeling stressed, leg-weary and underslept.

After the talk with Fred last week, decided i shouldnt fight it and just turn this into a recovery week. So i am.

Also get to see my mom tonight for the first time in a year and a half....things are turning around already.
I got up at 5:25 and drove ~mile with wife and the youngest to higher ground where we could see the horizon.  We had some low clouds, but broken enough that we could see the sun.  The bummer is that we brought our glasses from the 2017 eclipse viewing, but they seemed to have darkened over time so we really couldn't see through them, and I didn't have anything to make a pinhole filter.  So we did the quick glances thing to get a feel without destroying our eyes.  Took a couple of pictures with the phone, but as expected they don't really get if you don't have a filter.

Glad I got my butt out of bed for it.  I plan on travelling for the total eclipse in 2024.

I have the sudden urge to queue up some Bonnie Tyler for today's run.
You have no idea how many times bits of that song were sung when we went to see the 2017 eclipse.  You're in the path of totality for 2024, but chances of a sunny day in early April seem...  ahem...  not great.

You have no idea how many times bits of that song were sung when we went to see the 2017 eclipse.  You're in the path of totality for 2024, but chances of a sunny day in early April seem...  ahem...  not great.
Early April in NE Ohio, when it's one of 3 things - 35 and sunny with a frigid north wind, 75 and sunny with an annoying south wind, or somewhere in between with lots and lots of rain.

Losing motivation for the 4x4x48.  I think I just need to bite the bullet and do the first one and put it out on Strava and that will be enough to get me to keep going.....hopefully.

Losing motivation for the 4x4x48.  I think I just need to bite the bullet and do the first one and put it out on Strava and that will be enough to get me to keep going.....hopefully.
I'm pulling the plug.  It doesn't make sense to risk a stupid injury or enduring something that I'm not all that passionate about. 

I'll spend this weekend finalizing my marathon training plan so I'm ready to launch this upcoming week

Did my longest run of my rest week thus far, 60 minutes at around MAF pace and 10 minutes of w/u/c/d walking to go 6 miles on the treadmill.  Not a huge exertion but definitely got my heart pumping.  How much, I don't know, because I can't find my watch. I'm pretty sure I will find it on a toy somewhere, and Mr. Bear's heart rate trends will have been sent to strava instead of mine. Oh well.  My legs definitely felt better today than last time I did this and way better than a week ago, and while I was starting to get a little tired by the end, I don't think i've lost any cardio fitness at all.  Looking forward to a proper long run soon. 

Did a "longer run of 6 miles last night so decided against doing my 7 mile outdoor run today because I want to try it with properly fresh legs.  But I figured I could still try a fast mile so I set the treadmill to 7.5 mph and bumped it up to 7.6 at the very end so I could do a 7:59 mile.  That's a good time for me, but what was better was that I thought I could keep going or go even a little faster. One goal I'd half assedly set before was to run a 26:33 5k - that's 7mph on the treadmill for 3.1 miles.  I think I could do that now, or at least soon.  Sub 27 is certainly on the table and sub 26 might be within reach.  I don't know how that translates to outdoor running- remember that my heart rate actually is lower outside than on the treadmill at the same speeds, probably because of my ####ty form.  Now that I'm fully vaccinated and things are opening up again I might sign up for that local 5k series I did years ago and see if they give me a medal for a personal record because I think I was more like 28 minutes back then and I should be able to crush that.  Although my official personal record may have been set the day I ran the course backwards so maybe I'll have to sign up under an alias. 

Cut volume this week to try to freshen up the legs for a 5k tomorrow morn in DC. Looking at about 70*F tomorrow morning around start time, could be worse.  First start since Dec 2019 🥴Assuming stim and warmup go well, I’ll chase 20 min and we’ll see how close I get on base training and a handful of workouts in the past month. Reward will be a recovery putz around Georgetown & DC after so I’ve got that to look forward regardless after the pain cave. 
😤

Cut volume this week to try to freshen up the legs for a 5k tomorrow morn in DC. Looking at about 70*F tomorrow morning around start time, could be worse.  First start since Dec 2019 🥴Assuming stim and warmup go well, I’ll chase 20 min and we’ll see how close I get on base training and a handful of workouts in the past month. Reward will be a recovery putz around Georgetown & DC after so I’ve got that to look forward regardless after the pain cave. 
😤
Good luck!

😤
Good luck, you’re going to love being back in race environment.

We've had some ok weather here the last couple days.

Wife needed me to drop something off in central park, so i made my long run go up there this am. Felt good...still trying to stay in recovery week, but the legs had a little giddyup that i reined back. Ran down 5th Ave for most of the way home...something i try to avoid because of the lights- but was fun for the full NYC effect.

The last few days has really embodied our phrase embrace the suck. Hope the weather is scheduled to break for most of you this week like it is here. If my sack cooperates may reintroduce some SoS.

The last few days has really embodied our phrase embrace the suck. Hope the weather is scheduled to break for most of you this week like it is here. If my sack cooperates may reintroduce some SoS.
Yeah, this was definitely a nasty week.  (A real ball-buster, as some would say.)  Hoping the mornings are a little cooler next week.  

Rest week is over. Found my watch and went out for my usual run.  Finished under 10 min mile pace, which is good for me.  Probably could have gone faster if I hadn't been a little cautious with my first mile.  

One big difference is that my hip/it band didn't feel sore every time I tried to pick up the pace.  My ankle/calf muscles feel a lot better.  I must have had a lot of accumulated wear and tear, because I really had been pushing hard for months without taking any time off.  I think this rest week thing will be a good part of my process moving forward and I am going to try to figure out what the warning signs are that I am getting worn out. 

Most here think ideal is in the 30s or 40s. That’s the fishing part but I’m just joking.

MAC_32 said:
Left the house yesterday, thinking "great it's only 75°" a few minutes in a realize it's foggy because it's at or over 100% humidity. 

This morning was a bit less, 78° and like 98% humidity 🤷🏼‍♂️

Local 10k Saturday is gonna suck

bushdocda said:
😤
Official is 20:46.  5/80 overall, Strava has 20:35 

Small, organized and friendly race. Part of a series around DC that runs races most weekends. This was a 5k and HM on a gravel, small rock path. Thought it was paved trail I was on a couple weeks ago but that is a parallel trail. Not a big deal, got in my head a bit and I dodged a few bigger rock chunks and puddles but not much. I was already nervous at the pace/pain prospects and right Hammy showed up with an unfounded ache all Saturday but stim run felt fine so I drove out around 6a. Wanted to chase 20 mins but was not confident at either holding that pace throughout or negative splitting to get it. Not many other options. I had a handful of up efforts in the past month that included some high 6s so not the most realistic goal.

Parked away from start and warm up was mostly walking - jogging alternate. Didn’t feel good enough to log warm up miles or strides and soon enough it’s go time to end my meh warmup. Took off with the leaders and it was small enough that I probably passed about 5 people and then trailed the top 4 the rest of the way. 

Wanted to stay calm to start, press the edge of my pace to the turnaround at the midpoint and press the edge coming back. Did that pretty well but was hurting on the turnaround back into the full sun. I was even paced so far overall (6:33, 6:33) but there was no negative split coming or much of a hold on either. Wanted to bail but no way I was letting a conga line pass me like that. No relief until the finish and thankfully I rounded the gentle bend to see the sweet end in sight.  The hammy and rest of body came out ok it seems and I learned a thing or two.  

Couple weeks of loose structure upcoming before commencing training with a couple races turned long training runs on the road to Indy. 

Thanks for all the support!

And it begins!  Completed my first London Marathon training run.  I'm vascillating between a hard training plan of Hansons 65-85 mpw) and a more realistic one (45-65 mpw).  I'm going to start with the hard and see how it goes.  I can always drop back.

Almost definitely racing London.  Still figuring out how my training will be impacted by a vacation in late July/Early August.  (going to national parks out west in the heat, so not sure if running/treadmills will be available or able to happen.)

Boston will likely be my slowest marathon.  After racing London, I don't see how I get Boston done in less than 4 hours just 8 days after London.

I've reached out to Indianapolis about leading a pace group.  I'm pretty confident I'll get selected as I have a connection who is assisting me.

Users who are viewing this thread