What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ran a 10k - Official Thread (16 Viewers)

tri-man 47 said:
Yeah, @Harris and I have a lakefront HM tomorrow morning.  Chicago - especially the lakefront - is in the midst of several inch snowfall.  Then the temps will drop with a forecast of about 10 degrees by race start.  Good times!
Get some! :clap:

tri-man 47 said:
Yeah, @Harris and I have a lakefront HM tomorrow morning.  Chicago - especially the lakefront - is in the midst of several inch snowfall.  Then the temps will drop with a forecast of about 10 degrees by race start.  Good times!
How'd it go GB? Any medal mongering? 

January was nice variety as planned. 27 days run for 159 miles mostly easy and some hill strides to keep some semblance of stride.  Core workouts 16 and a couple rides. Daily band stuff for my pathetic right glute and sympathetic right adductor. 

I have about another 6 weeks of more of the same variety with some slow increases to volume to get body more ready for training. 

2022 race calendar sheet is ready for you 🤘

F3 Half-Marathon Report

Note this isn't labeled as a HM Race Report as I knew I wouldn't be able to truly race the HM.  I intentionally laid low in January with a week off and ran only 15 miles a week or so.  I've done other stuff (weights; stretching), but not run training.  And then there's:

Thursday morning: Got my Covid booster shot.  My university was hosting an event, so I took advantage of the opportunity to get my booster.

Friday night: Had my primary booster reaction.  Went to bed earlier with a fever and fatigue; woke up in the middle of the night with a metallic taste in my mouth and a painfully dry throat.

Saturday race day: Woke up around 6:30 am for the 10:00 am race.  I didn't feel too bad, surprisingly.  Had breakfast, took care of business; relaxed a bit, and left around 8:00 am to head into the city to pick up @Harris.  We arrived at the race site (Soldier Field, along Chicago's lakefront) around 9:15 am.  The paved lakeside trail was all clear despite Friday's snow.  Temp was around 10 degrees by the start, but the sun was shining and the wind was light.  We ran a short warm-up, caught the porta-potties, stopped by the car for final prep, and headed to the start line.

Mile 1: 8:40.  Somewhat crowded, and a number of zigs and zags as we looped around Soldier Field and headed south along the lakefront.  I'd done something to my watch and wasted some time running slow trying to figure it out.

Miles 2-9: range of 7:48-7:59.  I'm pleased with this. With no real training over the past two months, it was good to comfortably click off a steady stretch of marathon'ish-paced miles.  I was well aware, though, that in addition to the lack of physical training, I clearly wasn't in a proper mental mode for distance racing.

Miles 10-11: 8:00; 8:09.  The first chinks in the armour.  During both miles, I took a walking break to drink some fluids (wearing a fuel belt).  The legs were starting to feel wonky.

Miles 12-13: 8:48; 8:38.  Strange miles as weakness in the legs  (upper quads), not the lungs, dictated the running.  When I ran, I ran at a good clip (similar to the earlier miles).  But then the legs would start to feel jello-y and I'd have to walk for a short spell.  Rinse; repeat.  Even as I was entering the final shoot, I felt like I was ready to just pitch forward and land on my face.  I was reasonably surprised to see the paces end up where they did, given the choppiness of the miles.

Nice, sad, and funny: As I finished, the announcer acknowledged me - "crossing the line is tri-man, aged 66!  Great to see some older runners out here today!"  It felt kind of like, "oh how cute, look!  An old guy. Awww..."

Overall: 1:46:50 (8:09/mi).  Tied for second (out of twelve); 38 seconds out of first (no AG medals).  Bleh.  But with the lack of training and post-booster, I'm not fretting about it (but well aware that the stats show me leading the AG at mile 10).

Post-race: As Harris and I are walking back toward the parking garage, I hear "Dad."  My daughter and new SIL, who live somewhat nearby in the south loop had come over to catch the finish.  My wife gave them a bad time estimate, so they actually missed the finish, but it was an awesome surprise that they showed up.  Circle of Life: I'd first met Harris when my daughter was a student at Drake University.  When visiting her one weekend, I had the chance to briefly connect with Harris, who was taking a CPA Exam prep course at Drake.  He had been appearing in this thread back then before drifting away for a while.  So that was maybe 15 years ago or so.  And here we were years later, having a chat together as we drove the daughter and SIL back to their apartment before Harris and I drove back to the north side to drop him off.

Really nice to reconnect with Harris!  Really impressed that he la-di-da'd a 1:43 with less run training than me.  

PSA for the Garmin guys.  Maybe a "duh".

I noticed over the last ~month that Garmin had stopped calculating my VO2Max and also had stopped monitoring my training status.

Also, over time I had noticed that my calories burned per km run was dropping noticeably.

Well I did some googling and apparently VO2Max is only calculated when you have 20 consecutive minutes of HR above 70% of your max HR. 

Which I thought I was, but then I checked my max HR in Garmin connect, and it was set at 195!  

My max HR is really around 170 (just from experience as well as using the 220-age formula).  So I reset that in Garmin connect, and now my VO2Max is getting calculated again.

And my calories burned per km run is also up to more normal levels.  I always thought calories burned was based on weight, absolute HR, and time.  But apparently it's weight, HR as a % of max, and time.

I don't know how the Garmin max HR changed (maybe it saw 190+ on a run -- in error -- and automatically did it?), but worth checking if you are seeing weirdness in your stats.

F3 Half-Marathon Report

Note this isn't labeled as a HM Race Report as I knew I wouldn't be able to truly race the HM.  I intentionally laid low in January with a week off and ran only 15 miles a week or so.  I've done other stuff (weights; stretching), but not run training.  And then there's:

Thursday morning: Got my Covid booster shot.  My university was hosting an event, so I took advantage of the opportunity to get my booster.

Friday night: Had my primary booster reaction.  Went to bed earlier with a fever and fatigue; woke up in the middle of the night with a metallic taste in my mouth and a painfully dry throat.

Saturday race day: Woke up around 6:30 am for the 10:00 am race.  I didn't feel too bad, surprisingly.  Had breakfast, took care of business; relaxed a bit, and left around 8:00 am to head into the city to pick up @Harris.  We arrived at the race site (Soldier Field, along Chicago's lakefront) around 9:15 am.  The paved lakeside trail was all clear despite Friday's snow.  Temp was around 10 degrees by the start, but the sun was shining and the wind was light.  We ran a short warm-up, caught the porta-potties, stopped by the car for final prep, and headed to the start line.

Mile 1: 8:40.  Somewhat crowded, and a number of zigs and zags as we looped around Soldier Field and headed south along the lakefront.  I'd done something to my watch and wasted some time running slow trying to figure it out.

Miles 2-9: range of 7:48-7:59.  I'm pleased with this. With no real training over the past two months, it was good to comfortably click off a steady stretch of marathon'ish-paced miles.  I was well aware, though, that in addition to the lack of physical training, I clearly wasn't in a proper mental mode for distance racing.

Miles 10-11: 8:00; 8:09.  The first chinks in the armour.  During both miles, I took a walking break to drink some fluids (wearing a fuel belt).  The legs were starting to feel wonky.

Miles 12-13: 8:48; 8:38.  Strange miles as weakness in the legs  (upper quads), not the lungs, dictated the running.  When I ran, I ran at a good clip (similar to the earlier miles).  But then the legs would start to feel jello-y and I'd have to walk for a short spell.  Rinse; repeat.  Even as I was entering the final shoot, I felt like I was ready to just pitch forward and land on my face.  I was reasonably surprised to see the paces end up where they did, given the choppiness of the miles.

Nice, sad, and funny: As I finished, the announcer acknowledged me - "crossing the line is tri-man, aged 66!  Great to see some older runners out here today!"  It felt kind of like, "oh how cute, look!  An old guy. Awww..."

Overall: 1:46:50 (8:09/mi).  Tied for second (out of twelve); 38 seconds out of first (no AG medals).  Bleh.  But with the lack of training and post-booster, I'm not fretting about it (but well aware that the stats show me leading the AG at mile 10).

Post-race: As Harris and I are walking back toward the parking garage, I hear "Dad."  My daughter and new SIL, who live somewhat nearby in the south loop had come over to catch the finish.  My wife gave them a bad time estimate, so they actually missed the finish, but it was an awesome surprise that they showed up.  Circle of Life: I'd first met Harris when my daughter was a student at Drake University.  When visiting her one weekend, I had the chance to briefly connect with Harris, who was taking a CPA Exam prep course at Drake.  He had been appearing in this thread back then before drifting away for a while.  So that was maybe 15 years ago or so.  And here we were years later, having a chat together as we drove the daughter and SIL back to their apartment before Harris and I drove back to the north side to drop him off.

Really nice to reconnect with Harris!  Really impressed that he la-di-da'd a 1:43 with less run training than me.  
Nice run!  10F isn't so bad while running, but waiting for the race to start has to be a little rough.  Good for you and Harris to get out there! 

Well I did some googling and apparently VO2Max is only calculated when you have 20 consecutive minutes of HR above 70% of your max HR. 
Timely post, as I've been using my new watch since Christmas and looking at the VO2Max info that it spits out.  What's the general take on the accuracy of this number?  Based on race times, it seems like a definite overestimate for me personally.  I would imagine that trendlines over time could be trusted, with the caveat of course that weather is going to mess with it a fair amount.  Curious about other people's opinions here.

Timely post, as I've been using my new watch since Christmas and looking at the VO2Max info that it spits out.  What's the general take on the accuracy of this number?  Based on race times, it seems like a definite overestimate for me personally.  I would imagine that trendlines over time could be trusted, with the caveat of course that weather is going to mess with it a fair amount.  Curious about other people's opinions here.

I had a proper test (treadmill, mask, etc) done a while back and it spit out a VO2Max that was 3pts lower than what Garmin was giving me.  My Garmin race time estimates are crazy fast as well.  

My trendline moves with fitness and weather as well.  

I noticed over the last ~month that Garmin had stopped calculating my VO2Max and also had stopped monitoring my training status.
Mine still tells me these things like before. Maybe it’s bc I have an older watch or haven’t updated connect app in awhile. 

I had a proper test (treadmill, mask, etc) done a while back and it spit out a VO2Max that was 3pts lower than what Garmin was giving me.  My Garmin race time estimates are crazy fast as well.  

My trendline moves with fitness and weather as well.  
That's interesting, because if I go by race times, I would say it's 3-4 too high for me also.

AAABatteries said:
I have no clue if anyone would be interested in this movie and I also have no clue if it's any good or if the title is mislreading but as I reviewed the TCM movies for the week this one showed up:

The Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner

https://www.tcm.com/tcmdb/title/81721/the-loneliness-of-the-long-distance-runner#overview

It is showing at 4:15pm today.
This was not good - but if you like old films that include horrific running form and not really anything interesting happening, it could be for you. IMDb rated it 7.6 so maybe I suck at watching movies. It’s certainly no Den of Thieves. Now that’s a movie.

Warden: What's your name?

Colin Smith: Smith.

Chief Borstal Officer: Say "sir" when you answer the Governor.

Colin Smith: [insolently] Sir Smith.

Warden: That won't get you far here, lad.

AAABatteries said:
I have no clue if anyone would be interested in this movie and I also have no clue if it's any good or if the title is mislreading but as I reviewed the TCM movies for the week this one showed up:

The Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner

https://www.tcm.com/tcmdb/title/81721/the-loneliness-of-the-long-distance-runner#overview

It is showing at 4:15pm today.
I thought for sure this was about the kid who ran home each day because he pissed his bed.  I was close, so close

Zasada said:
@JShare87 I see you're getting some runs in.  Any update on your knee?  I hope it's improving.
Thanks! Unfortunately it is not doing too well. Serious discomfort and pain when running with a brace. Impossible to run without one. Constant pain and discomfort throughout the day. Doctor appointment yesterday, and we agreed to do another scope to clean things up. Surgery scheduled for March 24th. I am going to continue strengthening my legs so the recovery time is much shorter. I also plan to keep running until the surgery. 

Thanks! Unfortunately it is not doing too well. Serious discomfort and pain when running with a brace. Impossible to run without one. Constant pain and discomfort throughout the day. Doctor appointment yesterday, and we agreed to do another scope to clean things up. Surgery scheduled for March 24th. I am going to continue strengthening my legs so the recovery time is much shorter. I also plan to keep running until the surgery. 
 I’m hoping for the best. Be careful.

So this morning I put on my fast shoes and planned to run a more purposeful pace.  As the run went on, I found myself pushing a little harder.  Finished with a 4:29/km (7:13/mi) pace and I'm like "WOO LOOK AT ME I RAN FAST TODAY!".

And then I see @Juxtatarot's "Morning Run" at 4:16/km (6:51/mi) with no fanfare.  Might as well have posted "Wednesday".

What a #BMF.

I believe so, yes.  I read it once for whatever reason (don't remember where I saw it) and it made sense. 
My personal experience is the day to day impacts are very real.  When I'm in training and I feel strong on a run, my VO2 almost automatically goes up one point immediately.  On the flip side, when I am tired or struggling on a run, it goes down immediately.

I don't know what is true or not, just sharing my experience.

Zasada said:
Welcome to the 10K thread.  We have plenty of tips for new runners.  Interested?
I'll take all the tips I can get. I'm an old, out of shape ex runner. Where do you suggest I start to get into this thing again? TIA. 

Users who are viewing this thread