What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ran a 10k - Official Thread (13 Viewers)

I woke up in the middle of the night with knee pain and it was so uncomfortable that I had a difficult time sleeping.  When I went to bed the knee was fine, not sure why it started hurting.  The knee is fine now and I expect to get my scheduled run in tomorrow.  This seems to happen 2-3 times a year, does this happen to anyone else here?
Not knee specific, but when I have over worked muscle(s) the middle of the night is usually when my body says so.  Sometimes the pain is on and around the muscle and other times it's around a joint.  It's always the middle of the night though.  I think the body adapts to the over usage while in movement then the issue makes its presence known once the rest of your body relaxes.  Kinda like how a turned ankle is often not a major problem when it happens, but then you can't walk the next day.  

Congrats to @tri-man 47, @JAA, @bushdocda, and @-OZ- for some amazing (and in some cases, medal-worthy) performances this past weekend!  Lots of good stuff happening around here!

I continue to plug along with base training.  54 miles over 7 days of running last week including 10- and 15-mile runs.  Hoping for something similar this week, and I'll probably add an interval or hill session in there, too.

gruecd said:
You have to do it on your PC.  Obviously it's someone on a bike.  I've reported several like that.   :ph34r: :shrug:

Also used Flyby to try to see the smoking hot chick (who must be new to the neighborhood) who I've seen on several of my morning runs lately.  Sports bra and booty shorts, and she can pull it off.   :wub:   I'm sure all the soccer moms hate her.  Unfortunately, she doesn't seem to be on Strava.   :kicksrock:   Trying to figure out how I can chat her up and maybe gain a new running partner.....I'm sure my wife would really love that.  
If he's doing 0.73 miles in 54 seconds (48 mph) on a bike, it's a motorcycle. 

ETA: looks like Strava already booted him. Back on top! But really, people just must not run that part often. The #3 guy is a pro, with a 14:27 5k last year and he won this weekend's race with a 4:50 average.

Last edited by a moderator:
Congrats to @tri-man 47, @JAA, @bushdocda, and @-OZ- for some amazing (and in some cases, medal-worthy) performances this past weekend!  Lots of good stuff happening around here!
This!  Just skimmed through the past few days of the thread, great stuff in here this weekend.

I was in the Dominican from Tuesday night (well I left Tuesday night and got there Wednesday afternoon) through Sunday early morning.  I was following Western States as closely as I could on Twitter and the ultralive.net while travelling back, so exciting to see Walmsley finally put it together there.  And Courtney has proven she's just simply the best female mountain/ultra runners in the world right now (in some cases remove "female" from that sentence - she won Moab 240 outright last year.).  So much FOMO with a lot of friends and acquaintances up there struggling through what was a typically hot year.  I don't want to miss being there again anytime soon.

I spent yesterday trying to catch up on sleep, doing chores and errands, and "cross training" with my lady.  After being out 3 days I was slammed with work so got up today at 4:45 and plugged through a 10 miler after 5 days off running (with corresponding 5 days on of day drinking).  Only 5 weeks until AC100, and I'm not near where I wanted to be.  Another trip (7th in 10 weeks I think) this week, flying to Charlotte and back Tuesday-Thursday isn't going to help.  Then it's time to try and "cram" for a 100 miler in the next 2 1/2-3 weeks, and then incorporating heat training (sauna sessions) during the first week of the taper.  Ugggghhhhh......  

Only 5 weeks until AC100, and I'm not near where I wanted to be.  Another trip (7th in 10 weeks I think) this week, flying to Charlotte and back Tuesday-Thursday isn't going to help.  Then it's time to try and "cram" for a 100 miler in the next 2 1/2-3 weeks, and then incorporating heat training (sauna sessions) during the first week of the taper.  Ugggghhhhh......  
This is where I’m at. :sadbanana: Been feeling crappy for a solid month (fatigue, headaches, neck pain, queasy stomach), so finally getting into my doc tomorrow as well as doing a follow up heart scan on Friday to a baseline one I did 4-ish years ago.  Pretty disappointing, as I was hoping to put in more of an effort at the Superior 100 this fall on great buildup this summer.  Looking like I may just be hoping to build a base to finish the dang thing at this stage.

tri-man 47 said:
Twin Lakes Triathlon, Palatine, IL

1:33:31 ...60/329 overall ...3/10 AG

(corrections from FB posting, which was based on race site data (placement list I saw was male only) and info (a posted number of participants - relay, too?))

I was really nervous about the swim early in the week, but I caught the pool three times, which helped a lot to get my rhythm back, and I saw a video from a prior year showing swimmers starting 2 or 3 at a time every few seconds ...so no mosh pit start.  Plus we'd seeded ourselves by estimated swim time, which makes so much sense.  The race started at 6:30 a.m., which meant a very early morning, but it also meant race completion before the day heated up.  

As expected, I didn't sleep well, and the alarm got me up at 4 a.m.  Not too bad, though.  I immediately ate (banana and small bowl of oatmeal), took care of a few loose ends with the packing, then took care of business.  On the road by 4:50 a.m.  I was incredibly calm during the drive to the race site.  Arrived there around 5:25 a.m., so plenty of time.  I was a real pee-pot this morning, so caught a porta-potty right away.  The transition area was really spread out.  I found the ropes for my block of numbers, dropped off my bike and gear, and headed over to body marking and to pick up the ankle tracking strap.  I followed that with another porta-potty trip, then jogged around for a bit to get the HR going.  About 6 a.m., I pulled on the wetsuit over my trisuit and calf sleeves and went down to the lake for some warm-up.  Did a short out-and-back, which felt very relaxed, stood in the shallows for a bit for another good pee (pulling on the arm holes of the wetsuit to let in lake water to 'flush'), and wandered back to my bike for a final check.  During the walk over to the swim start, I again needed to pee!  But in full trisuit and wetsuit, the best I could do is stand casually and ...go.  Ahhhh.  I waited for a trickle down and out the bottom of the wetsuit, but it never came.   :unsure:   The absorbency of the suits, apparently.  Ew.

Swim - 14:01 ...142/329 ...5/10 in AG

Surprisingly and nicely easy-peasy.  Virtually no contact throughout the swim.  We swam straight out, made a 90 degree turn just past an island, another turn at the other end, and a straight shot home.  My rhythm was smooth the entire time, and I was comfortable sneaking peeks on where I was and who was ahead of me.  No surprise for a short swim, but this all went by very quickly.  On the stretch toward home, I thought of @JAA's advice to crush the last few hundred yards, but I ended up not doing so.  I kind of let myself off the hook because we were going right into the sun and I couldn't see if I had traffic ("pincers") in front of me.  Could I have found two seconds ...or 10-15?  I'm sure I could have.  But I was thrilled to see 13:xx as I stepped out of the water...

T1 - 3:15

...but then I gave a lot of that back on a rather slow transition.  I knew it'd be somewhat slow due to the wetsuit.  But I could have approached this with a greater sense of urgency.

Then a big error: Exiting T1, instead of pushing the 'lap' button, I instinctively pushed the 'off' button, which I realized halfway through the bike.  So I was flying blind during the bike and on into the run.

Bike - 42:16 (19.9 mph) ...86/329 ...3/10 in AG

The mount and dismount (of the bike!) weren't too graceful, but the ride itself was strong throughout and enjoyable.  I typically stay in the big ring and shift between what I'd call gears 3, 4, 5, and 6.  Most of my riding is in gears 4 and 5.  I was a bit worried through the first half that I was having to drop into gear 3 several times on a rather rolling course.  But as I found out halfway through, the whole first half was essentially rolling up, which meant the back half was generally rolling down.  That meant I unexpectedly spent quite a bit of time in gear 6 and was flying along.  Throughout the bike, I was very pleasantly surprised by the number of people I was passing.  Probably as a smaller, more neighborhood'ish type of race there weren't as many fancy bikes (like last year's Half IM).  But I didn't expect to be doing this well.  I know to switch to a faster gear rotation at the end to get the legs ready for the run, but I started this too early.  I could have picked up the 16 seconds somewhere in all this.

T2 - 1:22

I didn't have to do much but drop the bike, grab my fuel belt and bib belt, and go, but this still seemed slow.  In total, the transitions were 30-60 seconds slower than I expected or would have liked.  I did restart the watch so I'd get run data.

Run - 32:40 (7:16/mile) ...35/329 ...1/10 in AG

Speaking of the run ...I was kicking butt and takin' names.   :pickle:   I'd scoped the course via Google Maps, so I knew exactly what was coming.  The start felt awkward, of course, but I knew the feeling was not a true representation of pace.  So I just ran ...and kept picking off people the entire time.  As mentioned, I had a net 46 kills (47/1).  After the race I talked to a guy I'd met before, and whom I passed with 3/4 mile to go, and he said he was going to say something but I went by too quickly.  Even walking back to the car after the awards, a young woman biked by and commented on my run.  Run splits for the four miles and final half were 7:27, 7:21, 7:12, 7:08, and 7:01.  That surprises me.  I did float in and out of some mantras over the back half, and that probably helped.  As hard as this was, the run leg went by very quickly.

So that's it!  I feel really good about the effort and balanced race.  Super pleased to medal in a triathlon (4th place was 90 seconds behind).  This is a race, and race effort, I'll remember for a long time.  The training paid off throughout, and it helped me accomplish my big goal of using the winter to cross-train and not overdo my running for these couple of years.  I don't know what is next.  I'll have a sixteen day vacation in early July, but won't be able to take my bike (though I will do a number of lake swims over the first nine days).  I could consider another tri, or I could just enjoy the training and then select running races and do some medal mongering.  For now, I'll enjoy this one!  
Awesome RR, thanks for posting. 

I don’t think you should be surprised by the run, you’ve been kicking ### in you training the past couple months.

gruecd said:
You have to do it on your PC.  Obviously it's someone on a bike.  I've reported several like that.   :ph34r: :shrug:

Also used Flyby to try to see the smoking hot chick (who must be new to the neighborhood) who I've seen on several of my morning runs lately.  Sports bra and booty shorts, and she can pull it off.   :wub:   I'm sure all the soccer moms hate her.  Unfortunately, she doesn't seem to be on Strava.   :kicksrock:   Trying to figure out how I can chat her up and maybe gain a new running partner.....I'm sure my wife would really love that.  
For the love of god please yes

I woke up in the middle of the night with knee pain and it was so uncomfortable that I had a difficult time sleeping.  When I went to bed the knee was fine, not sure why it started hurting.  The knee is fine now and I expect to get my scheduled run in tomorrow.  This seems to happen 2-3 times a year, does this happen to anyone else here?
Ack that sucks. Sorry man. 

Maybe cut it off?

tri-man 47 said:
Twin Lakes Triathlon, Palatine, IL
Didn't realize that you were so close to my house. I thought your race was in Michigan.  I was awake at 6am but heading to a bloodies and bacon event so I wasn't in condition to cheer you on. Next time I'll bring the bloodies and bacon to the tri!

Didn't realize that you were so close to my house. I thought your race was in Michigan.  I was awake at 6am but heading to a bloodies and bacon event so I wasn't in condition to cheer you on. Next time I'll bring the bloodies and bacon to the tri!
Mmm ...bacon.  The packet pick-up was actually at High n' Tri, right where we raced with Juxt last fall!  I hope to return to this race next year (again using the winter season for tri training), so maybe we can catch a short run and/or b'fast.  I've looked for possible tri's in late July or late August, but nothing really works out well. I'll catch a local 8K on July 21 (runs right by house at mile 2), then focus on 5Ks through the fall.  That'll include our fall race with Juxt, et al.

Mmm ...bacon.  The packet pick-up was actually at High n' Tri, right where we raced with Juxt last fall!  I hope to return to this race next year (again using the winter season for tri training), so maybe we can catch a short run and/or b'fast.  I've looked for possible tri's in late July or late August, but nothing really works out well. I'll catch a local 8K on July 21 (runs right by house at mile 2), then focus on 5Ks through the fall.  That'll include our fall race with Juxt, et al.
How's July 28th look?  For those unfamiliar with Jeppson's Malort, here's what the makers of it had to say: 

"Most first-time drinkers of Jeppson Malort reject our liquor. Its strong, sharp taste is not for everyone. Our liquor is rugged and unrelenting (even brutal) to the palate. During almost 60 years of American distribution, we found only 1 out of 49 men will drink Jeppson Malort. During the lifetime of our founder, Carl Jeppson was apt to say, 'My Malort is produced for that unique group of drinkers who disdain light flavor or neutral spirits.' It is not possible to forget our two-fisted liquor. The taste just lingers and lasts – seemingly forever. The first shot is hard to swallow! Perservere [sic]. Make it past two 'shock-glasses' and with the third you could be ours... forever"

How's July 28th look?  For those unfamiliar with Jeppson's Malort, here's what the makers of it had to say: 

"Most first-time drinkers of Jeppson Malort reject our liquor. Its strong, sharp taste is not for everyone. Our liquor is rugged and unrelenting (even brutal) to the palate. During almost 60 years of American distribution, we found only 1 out of 49 men will drink Jeppson Malort. During the lifetime of our founder, Carl Jeppson was apt to say, 'My Malort is produced for that unique group of drinkers who disdain light flavor or neutral spirits.' It is not possible to forget our two-fisted liquor. The taste just lingers and lasts – seemingly forever. The first shot is hard to swallow! Perservere [sic]. Make it past two 'shock-glasses' and with the third you could be ours... forever"
I had something a little more ...traditional ...in mind.   :loco:

Ran with a new local running group last night for the first time. We did an easy 6-mile out-and-back route and then hit a local bar afterwards for a couple beers. Spent most of the time talking to a retired 55-year-old hospital administrator who was a VERY competitive ultra runner locally before messing up his knee recently. Overall a really nice group of people, so I'll try to work their Tuesday night runs into my regular schedule.

Weather the next few days is brutal here. 96 today. 100 tomorrow. 97 Friday. 97 Saturday.

If I wake up at 3:00 AM Saturday to run my long run, by the time I start at 4:00 the suck index will be 152.  :lol:

Looks like a series of short runs the next few days. 

Weather the next few days is brutal here. 96 today. 100 tomorrow. 97 Friday. 97 Saturday.

If I wake up at 3:00 AM Saturday to run my long run, by the time I start at 4:00 the suck index will be 152.  :lol:

At least you can run.  [\Debbie Downer]

When my body is cooperating with running, I find that it's easier to stick with healthy eating, stretching and fitness.  When the running shuts down, I return to bad habits all over. 

When my body is cooperating with running, I find that it's easier to stick with healthy eating, stretching and fitness.  When the running shuts down, I return to bad habits all over. 
Yeah, I can relate to this. I need to get out and at least do something - even if it's just a two mile run to keep the momentum going. 

• Smile
Reactions: JAA

Thankfully I can't compete with that - tomorrow's nice, but beginning Friday it'll be clothing optional for an indefinite period of time.  Goes over 70 at 8 am Friday and not expected back into the 60's until sometime after the current 10 day forecast.  Humidity looks better Saturday, so I'm back to leaning towards racing - in a vacuum 77/66 doesn't look good (it isn't) nor much different than 77/73 but I sure think it is.  Racing in a 66 dewpoint is hard, but 73 is impossible.  Plus I'm tired and don't want to run today.  Got a new longest streak of 20 days, so I'm thinking justify a break time til Saturday by racing then.  I wish it were better conditions because I'm wondering how much slower I'll be with the added weight, but sometimes you have to play the hand that the schedule and mother nature give you.

SFBayDuck said:
In Charlotte right now for work, just walked out of my meeting into an outside world with a 162 suck index.  You fellas run in this ####?  Y'all crazy......
Just got done running. Came back and checked the weather.

92 degrees plus 82 dew point = 174 si. I am a moron. Didnt realize the dew point was that high. Maybe the highest I have seen.

The funny thing is, when I get off tomorrow it is supposed to be 100 degrees with a 67 dew point. Be like air conditioning.  :lol:

Not running tomorrow.

gruecd said:
He said that he retired at 53 or something.  Did a good job saving, lived within their means....and never had kids.  
Kids are such leeches. Fn bastards. 

@gianmarco, what was that pre race shake out recommendation?  an easy 15 mins 2-2 1/2 hours before? nothing of note shortly before the race?

Sorry, should have book marked it.  :ph34r:

@gianmarco, what was that pre race shake out recommendation?  an easy 15 mins 2-2 1/2 hours before? nothing of note shortly before the race?

Sorry, should have book marked it.  :ph34r:
I'll go back and find it. Pretty sure it was both a shakeout and then you still warm up right before the race. I think you have it right, I believe it was just 10-15 minutes really easy just to get things going when you wake up.

Finished a long 26.6 mile run this morning before hiking and backpacking with my son and the Boy Scouts in Vermont. Was considering slipping away for a trail run but with the heat that we will be dealing with, I’m less likely inclined to do that.

Passed 1,500 miles. (Only ran 2,011 last year.). Eyeing a 3,000 number (which is about 58 miles per week.  

Back late on July 4.  Enjoy the weekend and early part of the week fellas!  Anyone racing this weekend or on July 4?

Finished a long 26.6 mile run this morning before hiking and backpacking with my son and the Boy Scouts in Vermont. Was considering slipping away for a trail run but with the heat that we will be dealing with, I’m less likely inclined to do that.

Passed 1,500 miles. (Only ran 2,011 last year.). Eyeing a 3,000 number (which is about 58 miles per week.  

Back late on July 4.  Enjoy the weekend and early part of the week fellas!  Anyone racing this weekend or on July 4?
zoinks!

Jesus dude. 

After the hike did you walk 30 miles into town and get them all ice cream?  :lol:
Ha ha.  We leave tomorrow to go hiking. Unlikely I’ll run in AM but if I wake up early, I can’t rule it out!

This run was a grind tho. Pacing was abnormally slow (guessing my 10 last night and 14 on Wednesday was a big part of the reason). I only did it knowing likely no running for 4-5 days so I wanted to push the legs.  

Im tired.  Ive done 4 days of swimming this week logging more than 10k yards.  I had done like 6.5k in the past 12 hours as of this morning.  I can feel the tiredness in my body, i definitely felt it in the run at lunch.

That said, the swim feels dialed in.  I think im ready for my first marathon swim next week.  Yesterday in the pool i tried for a complete effortless session.  Had a nice warm up, did some catch/pulls then did 3x600 before cool down.  Want to talk about monotonous 12 minutes of time?  Swim a 600 in the pool.  The efforts though felt perfect, all at 2m/100 pace that I felt I could do forever, even without a wetsuit.  I will have a wetsuit for the marathon.

This is the lake:  https://www.google.com/maps/place/Oneida+Lake,+New+York

Here is the approx point to point (ignore driving directions ;)):  https://www.google.com/maps/dir/43.2357549,-75.9056719/43.1623042,-75.9279108/@43.1949285,-75.9500354,13z

In all seriousness though, a lot of things will need to come together for me to even get an attempt.  For example, the weather needs to be perfect.  The water conditions need to be pristine.  My kayak BIL needs to be sober and wakeable at 430am.  Im guessing 3h30min.  Im also guessing the first hour will be a breeze.  I will not enjoy the 2nd hour.  The 3rd hour will be perseverance and the last 30 minutes of anxiousness.

I also need to be on the lookout for any brown trout sightings ...

sick!

Im tired.  Ive done 4 days of swimming this week logging more than 10k yards.  I had done like 6.5k in the past 12 hours as of this morning.  I can feel the tiredness in my body, i definitely felt it in the run at lunch.

That said, the swim feels dialed in.  I think im ready for my first marathon swim next week.  Yesterday in the pool i tried for a complete effortless session.  Had a nice warm up, did some catch/pulls then did 3x600 before cool down.  Want to talk about monotonous 12 minutes of time?  Swim a 600 in the pool.  The efforts though felt perfect, all at 2m/100 pace that I felt I could do forever, even without a wetsuit.  I will have a wetsuit for the marathon.

Here is the approx point to point (ignore driving directions ;)):  https://www.google.com/maps/dir/43.2357549,-75.9056719/43.1623042,-75.9279108/@43.1949285,-75.9500354,13z

In all seriousness though, a lot of things will need to come together for me to even get an attempt.  For example, the weather needs to be perfect.  The water conditions need to be pristine.  My kayak BIL needs to be sober and wakeable at 430am.  Im guessing 3h30min.  Im also guessing the first hour will be a breeze.  I will not enjoy the 2nd hour.  The 3rd hour will be perseverance and the last 30 minutes of anxiousness.

I also need to be on the lookout for any brown trout sightings ...
Is this a race? 

So.....

I haven't run in 5 days.  Last run was a short and easy 4 miles on Sunday morning.  I woke up that morning with some lower back pain/stiffness and it was bothering me halfway through the run.  Since then, it's been aching and the first couple days this week I was having a hard time getting up and down from a seated position so just decided to take it easy.  Timing was fine since we just had some floors installed in our house, wife is out of town, and tons of World Cup on.  Finally got back out today and did an easy 3.5 that felt surprisingly better than I expected but could definitely feel the layoff.  I've kind of enjoyed the time off the last couple weeks from every day running but I know I feel better overall when I'm out there.  I should be starting my HM plan in 3-4 weeks and will look forward to it. 

Temps right now are absurd.  It's currently 95 here with an SI of 173 (95/78).  It's still supposed to get hotter in the next few hours.  I'm tempted to go out for another run in it just to do it.  If the SI hits 175, I think I'm going to try and get 2-3 miles in for fun.  I will say the pool with the kids this morning felt awesome.

Spoke with the running coach on Monday.  Good conversation, almost an hour, nice guy, but I honestly don't think it's for me yet.  I can get a customized 12 or 16 week plan for $120 or $150.  I don't see the point in that.  I can get weekly emails with weekly plans and feedback for $100/month.  Or I can get unlimited calls/emails/texts along with that for $210/month.  No thanks.  I might do a "form session" for $50 with him where we just get out and do a run together, get some feedback, chat him up, and call it a day.  I'll be more open to the above if I get to the point where I've plateaued and don't see any improvements despite putting work in.  But, I'm still seeing gains with what I'm doing, I'm having fun with it, and you guys provide enough accountability and feedback overall that I like where I'm at. 

I will say that, after talking with him, I came to the realization that I may not be built for long distances.  What I mean is, I don't really like longer runs and never realized that that is actually "ok".  He mentioned that some people that he coaches focus on 5Ks and 10Ks and that there's absolutely nothing wrong with that.  I've come to the realization that I'd rather make it hurt for that shorter time and that I enjoy doing a tough 40 min tempo run much more than slogging through 9-10 miles at a slower pace.  My wife is the exact opposite and I keep trying to like it but just can't.  I had this realization point in our conversation inadvertently when discussing goals and what I'm looking for that it's completely ok.  So I'm going to run this HM in October and see how the training and race goes.  At that point, I'll decide if I want to even bother with those distances or just keep it enjoyable and do what I've done these last 2-3 months.  I'm still going to consider doing the J&J that @JShare87 has run next year.  Or the Disney marathon in a year and a half.  But I also understand I may not ever have the desire to put that much training in.  So I guess we'll see.

I'm glad I got the feedback from you guys before I spoke with him because I was able to ask the right questions to figure out if it's right for me.  It may be some day, but just not now.

I will say that, after talking with him, I came to the realization that I may not be built for long distances.  What I mean is, I don't really like longer runs and never realized that that is actually "ok".  He mentioned that some people that he coaches focus on 5Ks and 10Ks and that there's absolutely nothing wrong with that.  I've come to the realization that I'd rather make it hurt for that shorter time and that I enjoy doing a tough 40 min tempo run much more than slogging through 9-10 miles at a slower pace.  My wife is the exact opposite and I keep trying to like it but just can't.  I had this realization point in our conversation inadvertently when discussing goals and what I'm looking for that it's completely ok.  So I'm going to run this HM in October and see how the training and race goes.  At that point, I'll decide if I want to even bother with those distances or just keep it enjoyable and do what I've done these last 2-3 months.  I'm still going to consider doing the J&J that @JShare87 has run next year.  Or the Disney marathon in a year and a half.  But I also understand I may not ever have the desire to put that much training in.  So I guess we'll see.
^^^That.

I think it's perfectly normal to have no interest in the long distance stuff, especially being as new as you are to this.  At some point you'll reach the point in which you cannot get faster at short distances and will be at a crossroads.  If you don't want to do the long stuff now then just keep it in mind for when you hit that point 6 months-5 years from now.  Because you will get to that point.  Then think about the long stuff again.  Your perspective may change.

Signed,

Someone who loathed and generally didn't do anything more than 5 miles from age 13 until about 4 years ago

Temps right now are absurd.  It's currently 95 here with an SI of 173 (95/78).  It's still supposed to get hotter in the next few hours.  I'm tempted to go out for another run in it just to do it.  If the SI hits 175, I think I'm going to try and get 2-3 miles in for fun. 
With all due respect, this is not fun. It's dangerous. Be extremely careful at that SI.

• Smile

Can't wait to hear how it goes!  We haven't had a good endurance swim report for several years (Sand :bye:  ).  Interesting comment about the monotony ...most of my swim training is just steady distance.

I'm finally feeling recovered from last Sunday's tri.  That effort took a lot out of me.  But in hindsight, I'd call that one of my top 3 or 4 performances ever in terms of achieving/exceeding goals and maximizing effort.  And @JAA, one anecdote: Before the race, I saw a younger guy struggling to pull on his wetsuit on the wet and slightly muddy grass.  He had one leg in and didn't seem to be relishing getting leg two into the wetsuit.  I walked over with a plastic bag and showed him the trick of putting that on his foot and letting the leg slide quite effortlessly into the wetsuit.  He was quite astounded and pleased with the new-found trick.

@gianmarco, if long distance doesn't seem to be your thing, then, yeah, just enjoy the short stuff!  Marathon training will control your life, so don't feel bad about holding off on that for now ...maybe later when the kids are grown and you have more time on your hands.

Off to our summer cottage plus extended traveling for the next 16 days!  Not taking the bike due to the extra travel, so I'll focus on the heavenly morning lake swims (no motorized boats before 9 a.m.) and running the country paved and dirt trails and the country roads.  After the cottage time, my wife and I will travel further north in Michigan - a few days on Mackinac Island, then a few days/nights hopping around Michigan's UP and then down through Door County, Wisconsin.  The kids and grandson will join us at the cottage, so it'll be a fun trip!  I might catch a July 4 10-mile trail race that I've done a number of times, but we might instead take the little guy to a parade.  

Can't wait to hear how it goes!  We haven't had a good endurance swim report for several years (Sand :bye:  ).  Interesting comment about the monotony ...most of my swim training is just steady distance.

I'm finally feeling recovered from last Sunday's tri.  That effort took a lot out of me.  But in hindsight, I'd call that one of my top 3 or 4 performances ever in terms of achieving/exceeding goals and maximizing effort.  And @JAA, one anecdote: Before the race, I saw a younger guy struggling to pull on his wetsuit on the wet and slightly muddy grass.  He had one leg in and didn't seem to be relishing getting leg two into the wetsuit.  I walked over with a plastic bag and showed him the trick of putting that on his foot and letting the leg slide quite effortlessly into the wetsuit.  He was quite astounded and pleased with the new-found trick.

@gianmarco, if long distance doesn't seem to be your thing, then, yeah, just enjoy the short stuff!  Marathon training will control your life, so don't feel bad about holding off on that for now ...maybe later when the kids are grown and you have more time on your hands.

Off to our summer cottage plus extended traveling for the next 16 days!  Not taking the bike due to the extra travel, so I'll focus on the heavenly morning lake swims (no motorized boats before 9 a.m.) and running the country paved and dirt trails and the country roads.  After the cottage time, my wife and I will travel further north in Michigan - a few days on Mackinac Island, then a few days/nights hopping around Michigan's UP and then down through Door County, Wisconsin.  The kids and grandson will join us at the cottage, so it'll be a fun trip!  I might catch a July 4 10-mile trail race that I've done a number of times, but we might instead take the little guy to a parade.  
Let me know if you need any Door County recommendations! Have a great trip!

So.....

I haven't run in 5 days.  Last run was a short and easy 4 miles on Sunday morning.  I woke up that morning with some lower back pain/stiffness and it was bothering me halfway through the run.  Since then, it's been aching and the first couple days this week I was having a hard time getting up and down from a seated position so just decided to take it easy.  Timing was fine since we just had some floors installed in our house, wife is out of town, and tons of World Cup on.  Finally got back out today and did an easy 3.5 that felt surprisingly better than I expected but could definitely feel the layoff.  I've kind of enjoyed the time off the last couple weeks from every day running but I know I feel better overall when I'm out there.  I should be starting my HM plan in 3-4 weeks and will look forward to it. 

Temps right now are absurd.  It's currently 95 here with an SI of 173 (95/78).  It's still supposed to get hotter in the next few hours.  I'm tempted to go out for another run in it just to do it.  If the SI hits 175, I think I'm going to try and get 2-3 miles in for fun.  I will say the pool with the kids this morning felt awesome.

Spoke with the running coach on Monday.  Good conversation, almost an hour, nice guy, but I honestly don't think it's for me yet.  I can get a customized 12 or 16 week plan for $120 or $150.  I don't see the point in that.  I can get weekly emails with weekly plans and feedback for $100/month.  Or I can get unlimited calls/emails/texts along with that for $210/month.  No thanks.  I might do a "form session" for $50 with him where we just get out and do a run together, get some feedback, chat him up, and call it a day.  I'll be more open to the above if I get to the point where I've plateaued and don't see any improvements despite putting work in.  But, I'm still seeing gains with what I'm doing, I'm having fun with it, and you guys provide enough accountability and feedback overall that I like where I'm at. 

I'm glad I got the feedback from you guys before I spoke with him because I was able to ask the right questions to figure out if it's right for me.  It may be some day, but just not now.
Absolutely

ill say, before I got into Tri’s I always told myself nothing over a 5k run.  My BIL who did marathons, I told him no chance in hell I could ever run 10 miles. NO WAY!! Then I did my first 10k trail run. Then some of those 15k run races.

And then of course, I found my wife checkin out some Tri guy at the town beach taking his wetsuit off. I was like “wifey, really?”  She was like “well, he has a nice body” ... and now I’m entering my 3 Tri season. 

Hot AF today, so I hit the gym for a little interval workout on the ol' dreadmill.

One mile warm-up, then 5 x 1 mile at 6:18 with 2-minute jog recoveries, then 1/2-mile cool down. Felt "comfortably uncomfortable" and probably could've done at least a couple more.

Contemplating doing a local 4-miler on the 4th, but it's not supposed to get any cooler, so I'll probably pass.

• Smile
With all due respect, this is not fun. It's dangerous. Be extremely careful at that SI.
I ran today and it was 81, felt like 101. I don’t know about this suck index stuff but it was brutal for me.

that at I was cursing you BMF’s for telling me eggs was ok for my meal 2.5 hours previous to my run :puke:

Awesome. That no boats before 9 sounds like a dream!!

ill be sure to post a RR, I’m just hoping I get a shot at it. I’m targeting Friday morning. 

Funny about the wetsuit. I had never heard of that trick before. I find copious amounts of glide work ;)

Users who are viewing this thread