What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ran a 10k - Official Thread (12 Viewers)

I was just looking at your 6X400 workout and I can't tell how fast you ran each 400.  I don't know if the Strava App has a lap button, but if it didn't that would drive me nuts.
It doesn't, I don't think, and it would be clunky to try and do anyway.  Maybe I'm doing it all wrong but I just go to Strava online and then I can look at my workout closer.  I scroll through my pacing and can see where I was at different moments. 

At the time of the workout, the first one I ran without looking at anything.  The rest of them I just looked at my total time when I'd start my lap and just add 1:45 to it (7:00 pace).  I could see if I was a few seconds off or not and then adjust for the next one.  I just kept the run active while I walked after each 400. 

This is probably completely bass-ackwards as I've never learned how to do it and I just kind of figured out a way that works.  All I can say is that I think I have a good feel for what I'm doing at this point but I'm sure there's a much better way.  Keep in mind, I had never done an actual track or speed workout until maybe 2-3 months ago.  And even now, some of it is trial and error where I'll look back at an entire workout and see things I should do differently and then remember it for next time. 

After my runs, I go to my computer at some point and look at Strava there and hover over most every part to see what I did.  You guys probably think I'm nuts :D

After my runs, I go to my computer at some point and look at Strava there and hover over most every part to see what I did.  You guys probably think I'm nuts
You're fine and if that works for you that's great, I am not patient enough for that and often want to look at the results from my phone (hovering not as easy).  With a watch you can hit the lap button on the watch at the start and stop of each interval and see your splits in table format on Strava.

I don't remember what year I started running.  Maybe 2005 or so.  I ran my first race (a marathon) in 2008.  I bought my first running watch in 2009.  I never started saving/uploading runs until late 2012.  I never regularly monitored my heart rate until 2013.

I really wish I had data from those early years to look back at and I'm less a running data analyzer than many of you guys in this thread.

My point to telling you this is your opinion on this today might not be your opinion in a few years.  Obviously, you have recorded a lot already to look back at but maybe someday you'll wish you had more.
Yeah, I wish I had started heart rate training so much earlier. Luckily I stumbled onto this thread early in my running career. 

For me, that HR data is pretty valuable. Probably because I'm not as gifted as runner as most of the guys here. And certainly not as mentally strong as most of the guys here. But for a guy like me, seeing even small gains from time to time is huge for my mental state.

Before the HR monitor, I was running in no-mans land. Potentially a lot of workouts where I didn't really have a purpose. At least now I "know" when my body is in a danger zone. Which helps tremendously during races. (and to be honest, hurts me at times because I do tend to stay on the conservative side when there is probably more in there).

The point is @gianmarco, this data helps a ton. 

If you don't need one for your training right now, that's cool. But get it for us.  :excited:

Thanks in advance. 

I found it helpful at first with the HR stuff but after a while, I felt like I was becoming a slave to it and had a good enough feel that I preferred to not use it.  I always run with my phone anyway on my arm strap so I can glance at stuff with that.  And all of this has forced me to learn what my different paces feel like.  I still get notifications about my times and when I listen for them, I can usually guess really close to where I am. 

I don't know if there's a big enough benefit at this point to get one.  As crazy as I am with numbers, I like not being dependent on that.  I did my 6x400 workout the other day and ran those without any watch or pacing.  In fact, I knew I ran the first couple too fast (was aiming for 7:00 min pace).  On the next one, I simply looked at the time and knew I had to get it done in 1:45 and finished my 400 at exactly that time on my own.  If I ever get to the point where I feel like I'm holding myself back as a result of not having one (whether it's for pacing or for HR data), then I'll pick one up. 
:wub:

Alright, if I were going to get a watch, it looks like it might be one of these:

Suunto Spartan Trainer ($200)

Polar M430 ($200)

Garmin Vivoactive 3 ($270)

I know we had WatchTalk several months ago but don't remember what some of you liked or didn't like so open to any feedback. 

Alright, if I were going to get a watch, it looks like it might be one of these:

Polar M430 ($200)

I know we had WatchTalk several months ago but don't remember what some of you liked or didn't like so open to any feedback. 
I'm a big fan of the Tom-Tom cardio watch. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm a big fan of the Tom-Tom cardio watch. 
From the review site linked above:

A warning on TomTom: The company is basically shutting down their fitness division (albeit very slowly and non-officially).  While they’ve released some new firmware updates recently, employees are being given end dates and leaving and the end is near.  It’s likely TomTom will continue to support watches for some time, but there’s always a risk here that should be noted and evaluated.  Given TomTom as a company isn’t going away anytime soon – I don’t expect these watches to stop working.  Rather, I think we’ll just see them stop getting updates.

From the review site linked above:

A warning on TomTom: The company is basically shutting down their fitness division (albeit very slowly and non-officially).  While they’ve released some new firmware updates recently, employees are being given end dates and leaving and the end is near.  It’s likely TomTom will continue to support watches for some time, but there’s always a risk here that should be noted and evaluated.  Given TomTom as a company isn’t going away anytime soon – I don’t expect these watches to stop working.  Rather, I think we’ll just see them stop getting updates.
Yeah, just noticed that. Their prices have come way down too. 

Never mind.  :lol:

Edit to add: My next watch will be a Garmin. Seeing as how their HQ is in Kansas City, just makes sense for me. 

I'd go with this one, I think this is what @Juxtatarotis using.
@gianmarco  I wouldn't recommend it but I wouldn't discourage someone from getting it either.

I had to return the first one I got because it would no longer charge or connect to my computer.  I just made it within the 90 day warranty.  There were some annoyances I had with the first one.  A handful of times the GPS momentarily thought I was about a half mile away messing up pace and distance for a while.  I had some craziness with the heart rate feature too.  If you look at any of my runs around March you'll see the HR inexplicably drop to like 80 then get back up several times.  The touch screen is too sensitive for the winter.  My clothing rubbing on it would somehow make it switch screens that I'd have to use my nose to switch back (gloved hands won't work).  It's fine in short sleeves though.

The replacement is better regarding GPS and heart rate so far.  It doesn't like to connect to my computer, though.  I often have to reboot at least once if not multiple times to upload a run.  I wouldn't be surprised if it completely stops connecting soon.

Other features are nice if you wear it every day for step counting and heart rate data.  I particularly like looking at resting HR after a night's sleep.

Polar M430 ($200)

I have a Vivo2.  It’s a POS.  The 3 is much better, but I seriously love my Forerunner 735xt for a little more  :moneybag:

So....I've eaten a double-scoop waffle ice cream cone each of the last 4 days.

My runs those same four days?

• 8 miles at 7:25/mile
  • 10 miles at 7:28/mile
  • 7 miles at 7:45/mile
  • 11 miles at 7:31/mile
I think I'm onto something...  :excited:

Speed work without tracking the speed.   :D   

As to watches, I have a many-year-old Garmin 305 with a chest strap HRM, and it all still works just fine.  
You realize it's tracked on my phone and I see it afterward, right?  I meant that I didn't have a watch with continuous pacing that I was looking at while going around.  I knew I was at least at my 5K speed for each one. 

And like I said, my Strava app on my phone displays the total time so when I started a lap (say 8:45 total time), I then looked when I crossed the line after 400m and made sure it was at 10:30 total time or less (i.e. 1 min and 45 seconds after 8:45).  I'm actually doing the math in my head as I'm running around the track!

If I need to be getting an exact lap time each time recorded, then that I haven't been doing.  If that's what you meant, then I'm probably still dead to you  :(

Speed work without tracking the speed.   :D   

As to watches, I have a many-year-old Garmin 305 with a chest strap HRM, and it all still works just fine.  
Yeah, but when you are wearing that you imagine you are running while wearing a bra.

You realize it's tracked on my phone and I see it afterward, right?  I meant that I didn't have a watch with continuous pacing that I was looking at while going around.  I knew I was at least at my 5K speed for each one. 

And like I said, my Strava app on my phone displays the total time so when I started a lap (say 8:45 total time), I then looked when I crossed the line after 400m and made sure it was at 10:30 total time or less (i.e. 1 min and 45 seconds after 8:45).  I'm actually doing the math in my head as I'm running around the track!

If I need to be getting an exact lap time each time recorded, then that I haven't been doing.  If that's what you meant, then I'm probably still dead to you  :(
I very rarely spend any time nor energy monitoring my performance during speed workouts.  100% of my energy is focused towards the actual workout.  The output will tell the story when the workout is over and I have recovered enough to thinking clearly and coherently about how I did vs. what I expected.  Most of the time I usually know before I even finish the cool down.  And doing it this way, you will screw up sometimes - especially at first.  I think that's the best way to learn though.

Got it.  You're alive and well.   :hifive:

I keep thinking I'll run across the ANT stick one of these days. I'm pretty sure it's somewhere in my basement.   :shrug:   Too cheap to buy a new one (particularly with a decades-old habit of manually recording my workouts).

And @ChiefD, the chest strap helps to support my massive pecs.  
I might know where mine is. I have no use for it anymore, so I'll mail it to you if I can find it. Here in the 21st century we upload via Bluetooth...

Polar M430 ($200)

Ah watch post saved me from work stress, thanks!

Don’t know much about Suunto or  polar or TomTom and their app/integration. Garmin connect is pretty good and while I ##### about my garmin 235 giving we none HR reading in the middle of workout sort of a lot, I will probably stick with garmin for next one. Either whatever vivo comes next or a fenix 5 which I covet but can’t justify.  I assume the wrist HR had to be at least a bit better.

The 235 has grown on me since I learned (finally) to program workouts in the app and shoot to the watch. Will be coming in handy as quality workouts start Tuesday. 

Ah watch post saved me from work stress, thanks!

Don’t know much about Suunto or  polar or TomTom and their app/integration. Garmin connect is pretty good and while I ##### about my garmin 235 giving we none HR reading in the middle of workout sort of a lot, I will probably stick with garmin for next one. Either whatever vivo comes next or a fenix 5 which I covet but can’t justify.  I assume the wrist HR had to be at least a bit better.

The 235 has grown on me since I learned (finally) to program workouts in the app and shoot to the watch. Will be coming in handy as quality workouts start Tuesday. 
My wife's watch is the 235.  It works just fine and I'm familiar with it. 

Alright, @ChiefD

I wore the watch tonight for my tempo run.  First of all, I actually looked through all the options ahead of time and set up a training workout for what I was doing tonight to gave it a shot.  It was a 45 min tempo run that is supposed to have 10-15 of slow running to start, then slowly build until you get 2/3rds of the way through the run and peak at 10k pace for 2-5 minutes, then back it down and finish with another 5-10 slow minutes.  After a 10 min warmup, I set it up as 5 min intervals with a :15 window for pace (i.e. 5 min of 9:30-9:45, then 5 min of 9:00-9:15, etc. with a peak at 7:45-8:00).

--That was really interesting to run with the watch telling me where my pace should be.  I've only ever used it to record my data and HR and to look at pace and/or HR during a run.  Using this trainer, If I was too fast (which is usually what happened, especially at the beginning of each 5 min), it would buzz and then gave me an indicator when I was back in the pace zone.  After a couple times, I got used to it.  It completely took the thinking out of the run.  I can see pros and cons with that but overall not bad.

--It was humid AF out there.  I was completely soaked 5 min into my run.  Despite temps in the 70's, it did not feel good to start.

--I only looked at my HR at the very start and it was reading 120's.  That didn't feel right at all based on how I felt (mostly with the humidity) so I just stopped looking for the rest of the run.  Not surprising to look after my run to see it jumped all of a sudden to 150 halfway through my 1st mile.  I would have guessed I was 145-148 to start which is probably right where I was.  Still, not bad for my 9:40 pace in that humidity.

--I got to my peak pace and was getting into a groove.  Working a bit, comfortably uncomfortable, nice open stride, and enjoying that part of the run right next to the lake.  As I'm at my peak rate and getting ready to back down, this woman running toward me from the other direction slows down to a stop and flags me down.  Now, there's lots of other people around (mostly people either walking or sitting by the lake).  No idea what's going on and why she's stopping me.  She's mid to late 30's, like an 8/10.  So I stop in order to figure out wtf she wants (do I know her?) and she goes "do you know how far it is around this lake?".  Are you freaking kidding me?  I'm running at a pretty brisk pace and she stopped me to ask that?  Now, I mapped out a route from where I started that was a total of 5 miles but there are all kinds of ways you can go so I have no idea where she's trying to go and I've never run around this lake before.  I tried to give her an approximation and she's like "well, I've already run like 2.5 miles and still have to get over there".  Finally I just shrugged, said I was sorry, and started back up.  I was so annoyed.  If she wasn't relatively hot, I'd have been downright pissed.  If you look at my Strava feed, right around 3.2-3.3 miles in, you'll see a dip in my HR where I stopped for like 30 seconds.  Ugh.

--I hit that tempo run just the way I was supposed to.  My average HR of 162 isn't that bad for that kind of run I suppose. Pretty pleased with it overall.  I wasn't feeling it at the start, that's for sure.

--After the run, I started trying to set it up and sync with my phone and Strava.  Next thing I know, all of my wife's runs from the last couple months are getting added on my Strava account.  No!!!!!!  So I just spent the last 15 minutes going through and deleting those.  All for you, @ChiefD :)

:lmao:  

PM me your address. 
Haha....I actually had the original picture up first when I posted.  Then when Sebowski noticed it and posted in the soccer thread, I thought about the edit and had to make it happen. 

And this one will be permanent.

pbm107 said:
You're fine and if that works for you that's great, I am not patient enough for that and often want to look at the results from my phone (hovering not as easy).  With a watch you can hit the lap button on the watch at the start and stop of each interval and see your splits in table format on Strava.
This is what I do.  @gianmarco -- check out my Tuesday run.  I upload a screen shot from Garmin so people can see splits.

I use the Garmin 920XT.  Its pricey but I love it. Its really for triathletes so if you want to swim or bike, you can use it as well.  I use the chest strap HRM (of course, I think the HRM just died.  Replaced battery and still not working.  Not sure what else to do.)

Just contributing to the watch discussion. 

After my 2nd Mio Link didn't last 18 months I decided to switch to the Scosche RHYTHM+. So far I am happy with it.
I see it syncs with Garmin too.  So Garmin tracks my distance and this tracks my HR?  Am I getting this right?  And then Garmin somehow puts the two together into one workout?

Aren't chest straps the gold standard in terms of accuracy?  Do you find this to be accurate?

I see it syncs with Garmin too.  So Garmin tracks my distance and this tracks my HR?  Am I getting this right?  And then Garmin somehow puts the two together into one workout?

Aren't chest straps the gold standard in terms of accuracy?  Do you find this to be accurate?
Garmin treats it the same as your chest strap monitor, you just need to pair it to the watch.  I have been using an optical HR monitor since 2014  and I have never considered going back to the chest strap.  DC Rainmakers review of the Scosche Rhythm+ goes into its accuracy and as of Nov 2017 it was still the recommended Heart Rate Sensor.

Dropping the bra strap is liberating. 
I still get wonky HR readings way more often with my Fenix3 HR than I ever did with a chest strap.  If I was doing strict MAF or other HR-based training, I might consider going back to the strap.  But I'm not, so I won't.  There's nothing worse than chaffing so bad after a long race that it looks like my torso got cut in half. 

Anyone need another Garmin chest strap HRM?  I have a brand new one I’m never going to use.  
I'll accept if its okay.  I'm not active enough to participate much in the thread, but I still listen and watch.  

I tried to migrate from the chest strap, but I had bad luck with the little Mio bands. I went thru 2 of them.  The little charging connectors kept rusting and getting stuck.  Plus it was just one more thing to put on the damn charger.  I still love the coin batteries that last 2-3 years. 

I always wear the Garmin strap on the bike and take it to run.   We just moved and the bike used to be in the room by the garage, but now the bike is on the other end of the house.  I never remember to get the damn strap out of the garage before I'm clipped in.  

Basically I need another one cause I'm lazy.  

I'll accept if its okay.  I'm not active enough to participate much in the thread, but I still listen and watch.  

I tried to migrate from the chest strap, but I had bad luck with the little Mio bands. I went thru 2 of them.  The little charging connectors kept rusting and getting stuck.  Plus it was just one more thing to put on the damn charger.  I still love the coin batteries that last 2-3 years. 

I always wear the Garmin strap on the bike and take it to run.   We just moved and the bike used to be in the room by the garage, but now the bike is on the other end of the house.  I never remember to get the damn strap out of the garage before I'm clipped in.  

Basically I need another one cause I'm lazy.  
It’s yours.  I have both straps for it.  PM me where you want this #### sent.

Life has been nuts since about March, but its nothing that should have knocked me back this much.  Back breaking work trying to do a bathroom remodel, sold a house, bought moved, etc.  Broke my foot stepping on a freaking dog toy in the house back in April.  

We're finally settled in the new house.  Neighborhood is on the water so its nice to run in.  The neighborhood loop is right at 1 mile.  So for now its perfect.  Sure it will get boring soon and I'll hit the paved rec trail thats half a mile away.  

One thing that's got me excited is they now have audio guided runs on the Peloton app.  There aren't many of them, but for guys like me that don't have a set training plan (yet) are just trying to build some endurance and get in shape its great.  Its basically a chick going for a run and records herself talking with a good playlist in the back ground...pick up the pace for 2 minutes, now jog for a minute.  My downfall for as long as I can remember is when I'm not on a plan I get lazy.    

Life has been nuts since about March, but its nothing that should have knocked me back this much.  Back breaking work trying to do a bathroom remodel, sold a house, bought moved, etc.  Broke my foot stepping on a freaking dog toy in the house back in April.  

We're finally settled in the new house.  Neighborhood is on the water so its nice to run in.  The neighborhood loop is right at 1 mile.  So for now its perfect.  Sure it will get boring soon and I'll hit the paved rec trail thats half a mile away.  

One thing that's got me excited is they now have audio guided runs on the Peloton app.  There aren't many of them, but for guys like me that don't have a set training plan (yet) are just trying to build some endurance and get in shape its great.  Its basically a chick going for a run and records herself talking with a good playlist in the back ground...pick up the pace for 2 minutes, now jog for a minute.  My downfall for as long as I can remember is when I'm not on a plan I get lazy.    
@JShare87can you make an app with you yelling "I'm a Bad MFer" every few minutes over some music? 

Users who are viewing this thread