What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ran a 10k - Official Thread (7 Viewers)

This winter is going to be interesting. And stressful. 

Our daughter is going to undergo a bone marrow transplant sometime in the next 6 months, probably February. She'll be in St Jude's for 4 months at least. My wife will go with her, leaving the 5 of us guys for that time period. We're in as good a position to do this as possible, great support network, my boss is awesome especially when it comes to flexibility, if I need a day off I'll just have to tell him. If I need to adjust my hours (and I will), I just tell him. 

I think I'll still do the HIM in May, I'll just need to train at 5am before the boys get up for school.  Essentially being a single dad for 4-6 months won't be easy, but the boys are awesome. I've left her with these boys twice for 4 and 6 months, they survived and thrived. We'll be fine.

The princess is tough as nails, but chemo and the transplant is going to be rough for anyone.

All of us will just have to HTFU for a few months. :boxing:
@-OZ- saw on FB that your little girl is getting her transplant today.  Much love to the donor who made this possible, and thoughts and prayers to you and your family!   :heart:

Last edited by a moderator:
"Hey Athletes:

With tomorrow's predicted scattered thunderstorms we wanted to let you know that we will do everything we can to put on a safe event. However, if we do not believe the conditions are conducive to a safe event we will postpone, modify or cancel the event."

:kicksrock:

"Hey Athletes:

With tomorrow's predicted scattered thunderstorms we wanted to let you know that we will do everything we can to put on a safe event. However, if we do not believe the conditions are conducive to a safe event we will postpone, modify or cancel the event."

Ugh.  That sucks.  Fingers crossed for nothing worse than a slight delay.

"Hey Athletes:

Did the joggers receive a message too?

I'm probably going to be setting a new treadmill PR tomorrow....20 miles.  I need to hit my paces, and it's going to be windy and cold outside.  And I'm just mentally done with the Pettit right now.

I'll break it down into four (4) 5-mile segments, with a quick break between sets to take a GU, refill my water, and put on a dry shirt.
So we're calling the 30's cold now.

No, but wind chill around 20° is definitely sub-optimal for trying to knock out a bunch of sub-7-minute miles at the end of a 20...
Yeah, that's a hard workout.  And since it's right before the taper, it's important for it to be successful mentally as much or more than physically. Makes sense to do whatever puts you in the best position to nail it. 

I know the Hanson's plan calls for a max run of 16 miles, which is on the docket for Sunday. But I plan to extend it to at least 18 miles. Maybe 20 if I'm feeling good. Just feeling that I need to do it.

On a side note, I'm pretty much sick of pasta and baked potatoes and clean food right now. 

I know the Hanson's plan calls for a max run of 16 miles, which is on the docket for Sunday. But I plan to extend it to at least 18 miles. Maybe 20 if I'm feeling good. Just feeling that I need to do it.

On a side note, I'm pretty much sick of pasta and baked potatoes and clean food right now. 
Be careful you have 6 SOS workouts left (if you include Sunday's run), in my view the goal should be to get through those workouts healthy.  You've done a great job being consistent this cycle, I'd hate to see you overdo it this weekend and not be able to complete next week's SOS workouts.

Yeah, I'm pretty focused on eating clean until race day, too (no alcohol, desserts, etc.), but I did just allow myself some blueberry banana pancakes for lunch ahead of tomorrow's long run.  It was divine.

Be careful you have 6 SOS workouts left (if you include Sunday's run), in my view the goal should be to get through those workouts healthy.  You've done a great job being consistent this cycle, I'd hate to see you overdo it this weekend and not be able to complete next week's SOS workouts.
Am I the only one who appreciates the irony of the hard workouts being called "SOS?"

Hello Athletes:

RACE POSTPONED UNTIL 3/10/2019

With tomorrow's predicted 100% chance of thunderstorms and winds gusting at up to 40 MPH the Creve Coeur St. Paddy's race will be postponed until Sunday, 3/10/2019. The race will start at 8:30 a.m.

Hello Athletes:

RACE POSTPONED UNTIL 3/10/2019

With tomorrow's predicted 100% chance of thunderstorms and winds gusting at up to 40 MPH the Creve Coeur St. Paddy's race will be postponed until Sunday, 3/10/2019. The race will start at 8:30 a.m.
That's good news. Weather looks pretty good for a race on Sunday. 

gruecd said:
I'm probably going to be setting a new treadmill PR tomorrow....20 miles.  I need to hit my paces, and it's going to be windy and cold outside.  And I'm just mentally done with the Pettit right now.

I'll break it down into four (4) 5-mile segments, with a quick break between sets to take a GU, refill my water, and put on a dry shirt.
i triple dog dare you to do those miles on a treadmill with ... NO FAN!!

ChiefD said:

Watch the time component of the long run too if you decide to add anything on.  I forgot what the total duration guidance is. Also what pbm said. 

What a run a bit ago... last couple of days work and some volunteer stuff got in the way... came home early and had to hustle in a run before dinner and kid activities I'm heading to now... did 5 in about 39 minutes and set all kinds of recent PRs. So pumped for 3 weeks from tomorrow...

Disappointing ending to my long run today. Everything was going as planned through the first 17+ miles, but as I started to work the pace down under 6:40 towards my ultimate goal of running the last mile sub-6:30, I started feeling kinda lightheaded and knew that I needed to abort. Backed off to just over 7-minute pace and finished the run, speeding back up again a bit in the last half-mile.

I was sweating my ### off during the run, and even now my legs keep cramping, so I’m pretty positive dehydration was in play here. On top of that, I’d been eating less than usual this past week in an attempt to drop a couple pounds, so that might have factored in, too. But as much as I try to tell myself that my little bonk wasn’t due to a lack of fitness, it’s still a bit of a mind #### to have it happen right before the taper.

Disappointing ending to my long run today. Everything was going as planned through the first 17+ miles, but as I started to work the pace down under 6:40 towards my ultimate goal of running the last mile sub-6:30, I started feeling kinda lightheaded and knew that I needed to abort. Backed off to just over 7-minute pace and finished the run, speeding back up again a bit in the last half-mile.

I was sweating my ### off during the run, and even now my legs keep cramping, so I’m pretty positive dehydration was in play here. On top of that, I’d been eating less than usual this past week in an attempt to drop a couple pounds, so that might have factored in, too. But as much as I try to tell myself that my little bonk wasn’t due to a lack of fitness, it’s still a bit of a mind #### to have it happen right before the taper.
From a not very experienced viewpoint, you've killed every workout so far this cycle, often doing better than expected and during less than ideal circumstances/weather. If nailing 17/20 miles with a poorer than expected ending when you just finished traveling and haven't fueled like you should is the worst workout you've had, then you should feel good about where you are.

You got this.

Yeah, lightheadedness is a sign of dehydration for me.  Certainly easy to get dehydrated on a 20-mile treadmill run.  Probably means nothing fitness-wise, as you state.

3 weeks!

Also, someone needs to update the strava group with names/ids for everyone. I have most everyone linked to FBG ids without thinking too hard but there are still a couple mystery people on there that aren't listed on the message there.

Run this morning was interesting... After going faster than planned yesterday afternoon, my legs were a little heavy this morning to start but all was well, IMO. Went without my dog today because longer runs at higher pace he has started to fade a bit and I wanted to try to be close-ish to 8 for 11 miles. As mentioned early on my legs were a little dead but about 1.5 miles there was someone on the road a ways in front of me... I tracked her down and passed her and was feeling mostly good then. But then being all alone, 11 miles started to seem a long ways off and miles 7, 8 and 9 I dropped from low 8's to almost 8:30/mile. Buckled back down the last couple of miles and last one of the 11 ended up being the fasted one... but my HR started to spike too... 

Overall it was a great run and am looking forward to the race. Sometimes 1:45 sometimes feels "right there"; other times feels a long ways off. At this point, I'm ready to give it a go, but it is going to hurt trying to hit that time, IMO. Wish my HR would stay just a few beats lower at 8/mile. From all the stuff I've done till now, about 8:15 is a pace I know I could do somewhat "comfortably". Kind of counting on the crowd, the other runners, and such to give me that "something extra" to be able to hold 8... I did it for 8 miles a couple weeks ago and a lot of that was fueled by the excitement of just seeing if i could do it. 

Overall it was a great run and am looking forward to the race. Sometimes 1:45 sometimes feels "right there"; other times feels a long ways off. At this point, I'm ready to give it a go, but it is going to hurt trying to hit that time, IMO. Wish my HR would stay just a few beats lower at 8/mile. From all the stuff I've done till now, about 8:15 is a pace I know I could do somewhat "comfortably". Kind of counting on the crowd, the other runners, and such to give me that "something extra" to be able to hold 8... I did it for 8 miles a couple weeks ago and a lot of that was fueled by the excitement of just seeing if i could do it. 
Having fresh legs makes a world of difference too. Sub 8 pace seems reasonable IMO.

Having fresh legs makes a world of difference too. Sub 8 pace seems reasonable IMO.
I think so/hope so. When I set that goal in November it seemed crazy. To know that it is possible after some of my recent runs just seems nuts. I mean, I set that as a goal that I kind of thought was out of reach but with the hope of just trying to "get close". Now I will actually be a little disappointed if I don't meet it. I have 2 chances in the next 2 months - March 30th and May 4th. 

Nice work listening to your body. 

It may happen race day. I’m surprised you pushed yourself so hard while also constricting calories. I’d be crushed if I tried that. Let me rephrase, I suffer and bonk when I have tried that. 

Enjoy the taper!

3 weeks!

Also, someone needs to update the strava group with names/ids for everyone. I have most everyone linked to FBG ids without thinking too hard but there are still a couple mystery people on there that aren't listed on the message there.

Run this morning was interesting... After going faster than planned yesterday afternoon, my legs were a little heavy this morning to start but all was well, IMO. Went without my dog today because longer runs at higher pace he has started to fade a bit and I wanted to try to be close-ish to 8 for 11 miles. As mentioned early on my legs were a little dead but about 1.5 miles there was someone on the road a ways in front of me... I tracked her down and passed her and was feeling mostly good then. But then being all alone, 11 miles started to seem a long ways off and miles 7, 8 and 9 I dropped from low 8's to almost 8:30/mile. Buckled back down the last couple of miles and last one of the 11 ended up being the fasted one... but my HR started to spike too... 

You’ve come a long way quickly. My fastest half to date is like 145. Nice work!

I had a good final challenging long run before the taper this morning and even managed to get under planned marathon pace the last few miles. My groin has been bothering me the last few months after long runs and it hurts pretty bad right now. I’m not too worried about it since it usually feels much better after some light runs and I think I can handle the pain if it occurs during the marathon.  I’m certainly taking considerable time off in April though.

I have my 5K a week from today. This will be my only tune up race. I want to do well so between wanting to rest for the race and the sore groin I might take it even easier than I normally would for a first week of a taper.  We’ll see.

I took off next week from work and have nothing planned other than some errands, household projects and to do my taxes. Hopefully it will be a good chance to rest and Zen up a bit.

3 weeks!

I need a full Stava cheat sheet as well!

As to the race: When I'm running a rather fast pace (so rather high up in the field), I sometimes remind myself that if I'm going to be up there with the 'racing' folks - and you qualify with an 8:00'ish pace - then I can't be a wimp about it.  I.e., if I'm going to race, I need to actually race ...to stay tough (BMF!), to not think about slacking the pace, to not give in to the negative thoughts.  Because dammit, that's not what racers do!  So develop your mental plan, and then be ready to RACE!  Can't wait to hear how everyone does!!

Also not sure if I have voiced this "out loud" here but I did tell my wife the other day that as much as I would like to run the 1/2 at the Monumental in November again to see compare to this past one, I think I am probably going to run the full thing... 

:unsure:
It's so tempting.  I fully plan to either do the half or full. Leaning half as my nephew will be doing it, the kid has talent. He ran a 5:12 mile last week as a sophomore. Could be fun pacing him, unless he breaks me.

Is it too much to ask for Alabama to stay in the 60s year round? 

This morning's ride was glorious. Except I had to turn around just before mid point due to standing water, apparently a sewer backed up onto the road. I was not riding through that.

Week 4 of my Luke Hanson Running plan complete.

18K today, 12 at Tempo.  Actually, faster than Tempo.  My chest strap was wonky for the first 2k but otherwise HR was strangely great (140ish except for a hill near the end) but muscles were feeling it.  

My 10K is a week from today.  Provided the race isn't snowy/icy it will be great to see if I can run it fast (for me, @Juxtatarot runs his 30Ks at paces I couldn't touch at 10K).  Really curious given all the slow running I've done for the last 4 weeks.

Week 4 of my Luke Hanson Running plan complete.

18K today, 12 at Tempo.  Actually, faster than Tempo.  My chest strap was wonky for the first 2k but otherwise HR was strangely great (140ish except for a hill near the end) but muscles were feeling it.  

My 10K is a week from today.  Provided the race isn't snowy/icy it will be great to see if I can run it fast (for me, @Juxtatarot runs his 30Ks at paces I couldn't touch at 10K).  Really curious given all the slow running I've done for the last 4 weeks.
What's the 10K goal?

Users who are viewing this thread