What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

GM's Thread About Everything/GM's Thread About Nothing (10 Viewers)

gllll cosDad. My dad's also 92, fortunately in good health - hips and knees bother him but hell, he's ninety-freaking two. I'm thankful every day that he and mom are both as healthy as they are.  Good genes I hope.

My son graduates high school today. I’m oddly indifferent to the entire thing. Like sociopathicly indifferent.

Dont get me wrong, I love my son dearly, but I see this as meeting expectation, not really accomplishing something. I get the rite of passage aspect of it, but he’s been in private school his entire life where the graduation rate never falls below 99.5%. What has he really done outside of not being the one idiot out of 200 to screw this up?

Maybe what it comes down to is that even I graduated high school which I think creates a ‘So easy, Epic can do it’ mindset in me. 

Talk to me about his future, going off to college, doing things I didn’t do... I’m not indifferent to that. That excites me.

Graduating High School just has me meh. 

My son graduates high school today. I’m oddly indifferent to the entire thing. Like sociopathicly indifferent.

Dont get me wrong, I love my son dearly, but I see this as meeting expectation, not really accomplishing something. I get the rite of passage aspect of it, but he’s been in private school his entire life where the graduation rate never falls below 99.5%. What has he really done outside of not being the one idiot out of 200 to screw this up?

Maybe what it comes down to is that even I graduated high school which I think creates a ‘So easy, Epic can do it’ mindset in me. 

Talk to me about his future, going off to college, doing things I didn’t do... I’m not indifferent to that. That excites me.

Did he also graduate from Pre-School, Kindegarten, elementary school and Junior High?

Nothing wrong with celebrating the start of the next phase of his life. 

Lighten up. 

Seattle hiker folk all ok? Especially mountain bike folk? 
Yeah, I know proninja and I are fine, and I don't think any other regular GMTANners are hikers/bikers.  Should probably check on @The Future Champs and @The General you and yours accounted for?

Given that these guys were in an area I hike frequently, and everyone I know hikes frequently, I'm nearly certain they'll turn out to be at least a friend of a friend, but I haven't heard anything yet through the grapevine regarding their identities. 

Speaking (sorta) of hiking, @Officer Pete Malloy will be pleased to know that in one of my FB hiking groups, someone posted a picture yesterday of a beautiful tree and said, "You can tell it's an Aspen by the way it is."  A few other people got it, but he also had loads of folks telling him, "That's a Douglas Fir" and the like.  He just stuck with it, and kept replying stuff like, "No, see the way it is?  That's how you can tell it's an Aspen."

Yeah, I know proninja and I are fine, and I don't think any other regular GMTANners are hikers/bikers.  Should probably check on @The Future Champs and @The General you and yours accounted for?

Given that these guys were in an area I hike frequently, and everyone I know hikes frequently, I'm nearly certain they'll turn out to be at least a friend of a friend, but I haven't heard anything yet through the grapevine regarding their identities. 
2 close coworkers of mine mountain bike that area all the time, pretty much every weekend they are out. Was a bit scared to read the story this morning. I don’t think they have released the names yet but the ages are too young to be my friends. 

The details are very scary and sad. RIP. And my heart goes out to the dude who had to ride away. Terrible...

Won’t let it stop me from hiking in the least, honestly is the last thing in my mind when hiking camping. 

I freak myself out more thinking about crazy stuff like “The Blair Witch Project” at night when I have to get out of my tent :lol:

Slo-mo hilarity

Which reminds me.  Who decided birds>>>squirrels?

Since birds can fly doesn’t that mean they should be able to find food sources easier than non-flying animals?
That is fantastic. My parents have always had tons of bird feeders, my dad had always “fought” the squirrels even though he secretly loves them. Has all kinds of weird contraptions to try and stop them that they always defeat. 

He gave up years ago and just feeds the squirrels now as well :lol:  

2 close coworkers of mine mountain bike that area all the time, pretty much every weekend they are out. Was a bit scared to read the story this morning. I don’t think they have released the names yet but the ages are too young to be my friends. 

The details are very scary and sad. RIP. And my heart goes out to the dude who had to ride away. Terrible...

Won’t let it stop me from hiking in the least, honestly is the last thing in my mind when hiking camping. 

I freak myself out more thinking about crazy stuff like “The Blair Witch Project” at night when I have to get out of my tent :lol:
I'm the opposite - cougars really are the only things that freak me out when hiking.  I guess the good news for me is that I was already freaked out about them a lot of the time, so it won't change my hiking habits. :lol:  

I'm the opposite - cougars really are the only things that freak me out when hiking.  I guess the good news for me is that I was already freaked out about them a lot of the time, so it won't change my hiking habits. :lol:  
Your thinking is way more rational than mine. I’m scared of many things but for some reason animals that can eat me don’t do it. Have seen bear in the area while camping and for some reason it doesn’t bug me. I take all the precautions with food and just figure it won’t be a problem.

Put a spider in my tent that I don’t find until I’m all set for the night though, that #### will ruin my evening. 

Speaking (sorta) of hiking, @Officer Pete Malloy will be pleased to know that in one of my FB hiking groups, someone posted a picture yesterday of a beautiful tree and said, "You can tell it's an Aspen by the way it is."  A few other people got it, but he also had loads of folks telling him, "That's a Douglas Fir" and the like.  He just stuck with it, and kept replying stuff like, "No, see the way it is?  That's how you can tell it's an Aspen."
How neat is that?

Be sure to boo when they call out his name.  

Your thinking is way more rational than mine. I’m scared of many things but for some reason animals that can eat me don’t do it. Have seen bear in the area while camping and for some reason it doesn’t bug me. I take all the precautions with food and just figure it won’t be a problem.

Put a spider in my tent that I don’t find until I’m all set for the night though, that #### will ruin my evening. 
:lol:

Bears don't bother me, either; have been up close to them and was just excited about it.  If we had grizzlies, that would be a different story.

Just saw the names, by the way.  The person who died was Sonja Brooks, and the guy who survived was Isaac Sederbaum.

How neat is that?
I did my requisite "that's pretty neat" on his post. :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Around Mt Tam, I used to run into wildlife a bit... mountain biked up on bobcats a few times (who wouldn't get out of the trail no matter how much I'd yell) . But the scariest moment was coming up on a fox carcass on a trial I hiked all the time. At the time, I figured fox we're the Apex predators in the area... Then heard reports about mountain lions being seen. No ####### gracias

My neighbors just planted flowers in the sidewalk tree pits in front of their building. One pit straddles our property line and they put flowers in it right up to the edge of their property and left the other half empty, without saying a word to me. I'm not sure how to feel about this.

My neighbors just planted flowers in the sidewalk tree pits in front of their building. One pit straddles our property line and they put flowers in it right up to the edge of their property and left the other half empty, without saying a word to me. I'm not sure how to feel about this.
Well, they're basically respecting your property....and telling you "#### you, none of OUR flowers for your ###!!" at the same time.

So, you should feel how ever that is supposed to make one feel.

Put up a little barbed wire fence along the border. Let him be confused on the message

I was pretty terrified that the mountain lion victims would be someone I know, since, well, I know a lot of people that ride bikes in that area. 

They weren't someone I know. That isn't very comforting. 
Without getting into any political garbage...

I posted earlier the name of the deceased victim and referred to them as a "she."  Apparently the person was transgendered and used the "they/them" pronouns for them and "she" was not appropriate.  I had noticed that the news stories had implied male and was surprised when I saw "Sonja" as the victim's name.  "Sonja" went by "SJ" and only used "they/them."  There's been a bit of consternation about all of this among their friends (some of whom I know), as you'd expect in Seattle, and even the NYT has now changed its story to use gender-neutral pronouns.  

Nothing big, but it's to me an interesting journalistic footnote in these times.  Tough waters to navigate.

I applied to be on one of my city's boards/commissions in January. I figured there was no way they'd pick me anyway, and my wife was hoping they wouldn't, because I have a tendency to get a little crazy about hobbies. Well, they picked me, and then a couple months later they put me on the 7 person committee that plans out every city expenditure over 100k for the next 7 years. Me, the mayor, the city manager, and a few councilmembers. I met a few people through all of that, and now I'm running unopposed in the fall for the lowest level of elected official humanly possible - basically responsible for outreach to my neighborhood for the state Democrats. 

Being civically active is kinda fun. 
:wub:  

If I'm out solo I frequently just bivy sack it, sleeping out under the stars and all.   This freaks me out far more than any Blair Witch type crap.

I learned in a political thread yesterday that we’re no longer allowed to use this word here.  Not kidding.
Saw that too and thought "Well, that's pretty moronic."

Update/mini-rant:  Getting moved to a new internal project at work today (which I was informed of at about 3:30 on Friday).  This project has a lifespan of, maybe, a couple of months.  After the last two rounds of layoffs in the past month and a half and now this....it appears I'll be sending out resumes again this week.  Where there is smoke in this industry, there is almost always at least a little bit of fire.  Not waiting around tapping feet hoping some shmoe who doesn't give a single eff about my well being tries to land new contracts.

Shoulda learned to drive that garbage truck when I had a chance.

:lol:

Bears don't bother me, either; have been up close to them and was just excited about it.  If we had grizzlies, that would be a different story.

Just saw the names, by the way.  The person who died was Sonja Brooks, and the guy who survived was Isaac Sederbaum.
I heard about this on the news the other night and man.  Very sad.

I certainly don't want to make light of it, but when they showed this picture on the newscast, I couldn't help myself from chortling a bit.  The guy on the right looks like he was caught masturbating.  Neither one really instills a lot of confidence in my nature safety if I'm being honest.

I heard about this on the news the other night and man.  Very sad.

I certainly don't want to make light of it, but when they showed this picture on the newscast, I couldn't help myself from chortling a bit.  The guy on the right looks like he was caught masturbating.  Neither one really instills a lot of confidence in my nature safety if I'm being honest.
Who masturbates over a dead mountain lion?

Heavens to mergatroid!

Sounds like carrying bear spray (if you aren't down with firearms) may be a good idea if you're hiking in those parts.

From the story, it seems like they triggered the big cat's prey chase instinct with their bike riding. Sucks that they initially scared it off but it attacked again. 

I'm not sure that they did anything wrong, but if anyone finds themselves in a similar situation, unless you are 100% positive that you can get to an area of safety by fleeing, you're better off stopping and confronting it. Cougars are normally scared off by people, but if you turn your back and flee, it will only see you as prey. If you act as predator and don't turn your back, that's your best bet. Even once you scare it off, walking out warily without turning your back is the best move, otherwise it may continue stalking you looking for an opportunity when you are turned away.

At least, that's what I gleaned from the internets. 

Users who are viewing this thread