What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Marvel Contest of Champions - Time Killer (2 Viewers)

Does anyone use similar class heroes for 3v3s?

The inner class synergies are some of the best, like Gamora and Drax giving eachother +20% crit damage, but you eventually get forced in to some mismatches and lose more than the synergies added, right?

Some questions from the new guy:

Knowing that for now, I'm not going to touch the Catalysts I've acquired until I've maxed out some of my characters, I wasn't sure about the other ISO-8 items.

There are the following (all grey ones):

Tier 1 Basic ISO-8 = +75

Tier 2 Basic ISO-8 = +125

Tier 3 Basic ISO-8 = +525

What about these:

Tier 2 Skill ISO-8 = +325 (I have red, yellow and purple ones)

Tier 3 Skill ISO-8 = +825 (I have red and yellow ones)

For all of the ones listed above, should focus on just upgrading my 3 star characters now (only have 2 - Deadpool and Unstoppable Colossus) or should I also upgrade some of my 2 star characters (only have 5 - Black Widow (silver star), Capt America, Black Bolt, Iron Man, Unstoppable Colossus (silver star).

I'm just going to ignore my 1 star ones at this point (I have five of them).

As for crystals, currently have a 3 star Hero Crystal, 2 Quest Crystals, 2 Free (4 hour) Crystals. Figure it makes sense to hold the Hero Crystal till next weeks Dup and can just burn through the ones, right?

Thanks for the help!

Definitely open your 3* crystal now. Hardly a chance it's a dupe and you could use the help on quests.

Use the class iso anytime, just use it on the specific class. Save the catalysts for upgrading.

I'm still unsure on upgrading 2* vs. 3*, but I know that right now you want to be winning 3* champs from the 2* arena for a while, so I'd throw ISO there for a while as long as your 3* champs are strong enough to carry you through the quests.

Between Deadpool and Unstoppable Colossus, I'd throw more ISO at UC, you'll dupe him at some point so he'll be stronger.

Take your 2*s to rank 2, but I don't think you need to spend the catalysts to rank them past 2/20.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, if you have almost no chance of duping a 3*, probably ok to open the crystal now.

But if you have 4 or 5 three star heroes, probably best to save for the next dupe event. 3* dupe is worth 100 points, a 2* dupe is only worth 10. So that's going to be what drives us the most.

IMO as Witz is a new account he is welcome to ride our coattails for awhile. No need to save anything to help contribute in the events. His primary goal should be to build up his collection of heroes as much as possible, as fast as possible. The sooner you have a sizable army the sooner you'll be able to compete in the 3v3 events and earn the 3* and 4* guys possibly.

For 3* guys I'd open anything you get until you reach 6 of them.

For 2* guys I'd open anything you get until you reach 18 of them. That's 6 full teams of heroes and at that point as long as you are committed to fighting in the 3v3 as often as you possibly can then you should be able to earn the 3* hero prize.

As far as who to build up right now....I'd rank your 3* up to 2.1....ie rank 2 lvl 1. This puts them at a nice level to run through the Act 1 quests and earn a 3 star crystal there for the 100% completion goal. And you should be pushing that as one of your major goals early. It not only will get you the 3 star crystal but it will provide you the ISO you'll need to level all your guys.

The 2 star guys I've been slowly moving them all up to rank 2.1 as well. But only when I couldn't put whatever ISO i'd earned into my 3* guys. You need atleast a few guys at that range to help create some bigger point matchups in the 3v3.

Wow I just got gamed by the AI. I sent a nice balanced range of 2* champs into a 3v3 at only a 7 streak level. Picked a medium difficulty matchup. AI showed up with a 1 star 97 rating hero and 2 400+ guys. Ended my streak way early.

IMO as Witz is a new account he is welcome to ride our coattails for awhile. No need to save anything to help contribute in the events. His primary goal should be to build up his collection of heroes as much as possible, as fast as possible. The sooner you have a sizable army the sooner you'll be able to compete in the 3v3 events and earn the 3* and 4* guys possibly.

For 2* guys I'd open anything you get until you reach 18 of them. That's 6 full teams of heroes and at that point as long as you are committed to fighting in the 3v3 as often as you possibly can then you should be able to earn the 3* hero prize.

As far as who to build up right now....I'd rank your 3* up to 2.1....ie rank 2 lvl 1. This puts them at a nice level to run through the Act 1 quests and earn a 3 star crystal there for the 100% completion goal. And you should be pushing that as one of your major goals early. It not only will get you the 3 star crystal but it will provide you the ISO you'll need to level all your guys.

The 2 star guys I've been slowly moving them all up to rank 2.1 as well. But only when I couldn't put whatever ISO i'd earned into my 3* guys. You need atleast a few guys at that range to help create some bigger point matchups in the 3v3.
Thanks, that's what I was trying to ask a disjointed way the other day.

I'm at 1 4-star (Thor), 7 3 -star (Cap Am, Rhino, Iron Fist, Punisher, duped Star Lord, Electro, alliance Collossus), so I'm almost there. I do think I suck at fighting as I can really only get to a 9-10 streak in the 2 star tourney's. I think they need to be leveled to like 2.1 like you said, so I'll probably start doing that some.

So a couple of the top alliances managed to hit the 4* level on the Ultron event and the 1 hour 3v3's go away. Interesting. Starting to get a little pissed at this game.

So a couple of the top alliances managed to hit the 4* level on the Ultron event and the 1 hour 3v3's go away. Interesting. Starting to get a little pissed at this game.
Yea I read that too. For me, Ultron appearances pretty much dried up after that early Ultron 3v3 yesterday, I saw his drones twice and him never.

But we also hit that final achievable milestone during that 3v3, so he can stay gone until they fix the payouts, imo.

Yea I read that too. For me, Ultron appearances pretty much dried up after that early Ultron 3v3 yesterday, I saw his drones twice and him never.

But we also hit that final achievable milestone during that 3v3, so he can stay gone until they fix the payouts, imo.
With a few pet alliances hitting the top milestones, pretty sure the payouts won't get fixed.

I'm at 1 4-star (Thor), 7 3 -star (Cap Am, Rhino, Iron Fist, Punisher, duped Star Lord, Electro, alliance Collossus), so I'm almost there. I do think I suck at fighting as I can really only get to a 9-10 streak in the 2 star tourney's. I think they need to be leveled to like 2.1 like you said, so I'll probably start doing that some.
You'll get the hang of matching your 3v3s up better to get little advantages to swing matches. The class bonuses are obvious, but also things like using your bleeders vs. high armor champs while avoiding non bleeders if possible. Fight power drainers with champs who don't rely on their specials, like Drax.

And then you take that a step further by leveling your champs evenly in groups of 3. I always prefer to go in to battle #6-10 (or when on a streak of 5-9) with my strongest evenly rated teams, looking to maximize the chances of manipulating the matchups in my favor and winning 3 of 3 battles for big points.

And take 2*s up to 2-20, but not to 3-1. Try to get good enough to beat 3/30s with your 2/20s and you'll be unbeatable in this arena.

Will be out of the country for a week starting today. Some access to internet but likely won't be playing or contributing much except maybe in the mornings. A long needed vacation.

You'll get the hang of matching your 3v3s up better to get little advantages to swing matches. The class bonuses are obvious, but also things like using your bleeders vs. high armor champs while avoiding non bleeders if possible. Fight power drainers with champs who don't rely on their specials, like Drax.

And then you take that a step further by leveling your champs evenly in groups of 3. I always prefer to go in to battle #6-10 (or when on a streak of 5-9) with my strongest evenly rated teams, looking to maximize the chances of manipulating the matchups in my favor and winning 3 of 3 battles for big points.

And take 2*s up to 2-20, but not to 3-1. Try to get good enough to beat 3/30s with your 2/20s and you'll be unbeatable in this arena.
Why? Is this just to save the catalyst? Getting the red special can help on those close matchups.

I don't want to nerd this thread up too much, but there really is a lot more that goes in to matchmaking than just lining up classes and ratings. There are other advantages to be gained.

To the point that when I got to about 4-5 teams of 3* champs I broke them up in to teams of 3 based on synergies and abilities (don't put 3 bleeders together, etc). And then leveled them accordingly to even out the ratings within teams.

You can set up your teams so the classes protect eachother. This happened for me by luck, but my top champ on team #1 is a Mystic, and he ALWAYS matches the other teams' #1. Except when their #1 is a Science. So my #2 on that team is a Skill champ, who usually isn't strong enough to match the opposing #1 except when getting a class bonus (vs. Science). Little things like that swing close battles and extend streaks = competitive arena scores.

I don't want to nerd this thread up too much, but there really is a lot more that goes in to matchmaking than just lining up classes and ratings. There are other advantages to be gained.

To the point that when I got to about 4-5 teams of 3* champs I broke them up in to teams of 3 based on synergies and abilities (don't put 3 bleeders together, etc). And then leveled them accordingly to even out the ratings within teams.

You can set up your teams so the classes protect eachother. This happened for me by luck, but my top champ on team #1 is a Mystic, and he ALWAYS matches the other teams' #1. Except when their #1 is a Science. So my #2 on that team is a Skill champ, who usually isn't strong enough to match the opposing #1 except when getting a class bonus (vs. Science). Little things like that swing close battles and extend streaks = competitive arena scores.
Dude, nerd it up more. These are the kind of tips we need.

You'll get the hang of matching your 3v3s up better to get little advantages to swing matches. The class bonuses are obvious, but also things like using your bleeders vs. high armor champs while avoiding non bleeders if possible. Fight power drainers with champs who don't rely on their specials, like Drax.And then you take that a step further by leveling your champs evenly in groups of 3. I always prefer to go in to battle #6-10 (or when on a streak of 5-9) with my strongest evenly rated teams, looking to maximize the chances of manipulating the matchups in my favor and winning 3 of 3 battles for big points.

Why? Is this just to save the catalyst? Getting the red special can help on those close matchups.
Yes, to save catalysts. It's advice I first read on the Kabam forum and have been following.

It is tough to win without the red special, but you learn to. I wouldn't consider myself a super gamer or anything but over time you pick up on what the A.I. is doing and even start noticing which of the profiles you are fighting to better predict their moves.

But since it costs only 2 cats to go to rank 2, and then 4 cats to go to rank 3, its worth it to build a larger 2/20 army quicker and learn to win with them.

You'll get the hang of matching your 3v3s up better to get little advantages to swing matches. The class bonuses are obvious, but also things like using your bleeders vs. high armor champs while avoiding non bleeders if possible. Fight power drainers with champs who don't rely on their specials, like Drax.And then you take that a step further by leveling your champs evenly in groups of 3. I always prefer to go in to battle #6-10 (or when on a streak of 5-9) with my strongest evenly rated teams, looking to maximize the chances of manipulating the matchups in my favor and winning 3 of 3 battles for big points.

Yes, to save catalysts. It's advice I first read on the Kabam forum and have been following.

It is tough to win without the red special, but you learn to. I wouldn't consider myself a super gamer or anything but over time you pick up on what the A.I. is doing and even start noticing which of the profiles you are fighting to better predict their moves.

But since it costs only 2 cats to go to rank 2, and then 4 cats to go to rank 3, its worth it to build a larger 2/20 army quicker and learn to win with them.
I'm working up a group of 2* to really compete in the 3* tourneys. I've got 3 teams that I can routinely win ( all rank 3, level ranges from 1 to 20 ), and 3 more I'm ranking now. I'll give this 2/20 a try with the latter teams.

I'm in the mid tier now. What's the ballpark score should I expect to hit to get to the 3* crystal, and what level for the specific hero for the tourney?

Dude, nerd it up more. These are the kind of tips we need.
Yea, I joked earlier that we needed an FBG style scouting report on each champs' strengths/weaknesses and best/worst matchups, but it would be helpful.. just saying :shrug: I do this to myself.. so when I go in to a battle with an awakened Hulk I'm hopefully using a bleeder and reminding myself to block those specials before all else when his health is low. It all starts with building up evenly rated teams though so you have more flexibility with matchmaking. So the first thing I'd suggest is for people to throw our trios of teams they like based on synergies, because those are important.

I favored crit synergies when making my teams. One team I like is Thor, Colossus, and Juggernaut. Thor gets +6% crit rate from Juggernaut, Colossus gets +6% crit rate from Juggernaut, Juggernaut gets +6% crit rate from Colossus.

I don't know exactly how these bonuses stack, but based on results its something glorious.

And you want to talk about getting nerdy.. if you form and use certain teams long enough, they start to develop identities. My team of Gamora, Storm, and Magik are all stuck at 1/10 and keep getting passed over for cat donations for this reason and that. They're one of my lowest rated and scoring teams, so they're usually a throw away match when my streak gets too long. Thing is, because they are so evenly rated and have the synergies, they work really well together and usually end up overachieving and winning. To the point that they've gained an identity and I'm always a little amped up when running in to battle with them, my Welfare Line Widows. That's nerdy :bag:

So I 100% Thanos this morning, so I now have two 3* ready to go for next week already. I complained about this with Kang, but with Thanos, how on earth are we not getting a guaranteed 4* crystal for beating him 100%?

Along with what Ten has been saying, knowing heroes abilities can make tough fights easy. Not knowing them can make easy fights tough.

For example, Ms. Marvel's signature is to absorb energy based attacks when she's blocking. So she becomes immensely powerful against people like Electro, Cyclops, Storm, Thor, etc. And Ultron. And you adjust your fighting, switching to a more block heavy style the moment they power up so you'll get the absorb. Full Ultron has a similar power so I don't fight him with energy based attacks, or when using Marvel I only use her red so he can't absorb it.

Same thing with knowing your opponent. You should always click each opponent to see who is awakened before choosing the matchup. Fighting awakened Hulk? His damage goes up as he gets hurt, so you are better throwing a few more punches and then using a red special to surely finish him, than you are using the red right away but leaving him with low health but a big damage boost (and special energy from the damage of your red) while you try to land those last few punches necessary.

You can't have everything on every team but you can have some balance. Some people are better against regenerating characters (anyone with a Nullify type power, or a power that reduces healing like Abomination's radiation, or any Tech hero since they are normally Mutants). A lot of Skill heroes rely on Bleed, so do you have a Bleeding immune like Colossus, UC or Vision, or if not maybe you can include a Mutant hero who will get a class advantage. Don't put Colossus and UC together, spread out your immunity to bleeding across multiple teams so it is more likely each can be matched with a bleed-causing opponent.

And the reverse is true... don't bundle up your own bleed characters. Panther, Gamora and Star Lord together means if you face a U. Colossus, one of them is losing part of their damage dealing ability. Again with knowing the heroes, if you did make that mistake, you should know Star Lord is the best choice since only his red special involves bleed, leaving his 1st and 2nd to use at full damage while the other two would get impacted more often.

I also prefer to have 3 heroes close in level most of the time. Using a team with 1 hero higher than the rest could give you a similarly built opposing team but your best is at a class disadvantage against their best so you make that fight very tough.

I like Ten's suggestion about having a hero who covers your best guy's class disadvantage so he can step in if needed.

In quests, hero synergies are great since the opponent's level is static. In Versus I don't avoid them but I also don't make them the top priority normally... since they increase your hero ratings, so seem like they would lead to a commensurate increase in opponent difficulty.

One other thing... you only face opponents using masteries when you draw another player's heroes in the tourneys. The Kabam created teams at max level don't get them, per a post by a Kabam employee. Which is one other bonus of being able to maintain a win streak against max level opponents which are mostly if not all Kabam teams. I also find in the 2*, those Kabam teams rarely are awakened.

Another know your hero tip. If you have a hero who gets Fury or Boosted Criticals, or who does more damage when Armor is on or the like, try to use your specials when those are active so the special damage gets those boosts too.

General fighting tip.. I've noticed the CPU sometimes almost seems to like to wait to attack until effects on him are gone. Even beneficial ones. So if you back up and Colossus is armored up, but just blocking and not chasing... good. Wait and let his armor run out so your hits do more damage when they come. Don't do that against Dr. Strange or full Ultrons though as they keep gaining special power spontaneously without being hit, so waiting too long just gives them more power.

How have you top players built your mastery skill tree out? Which are the major ones we should be looking to build to?
I went with the perfect block bonus because a couple of what will end up being my better fighters (Daredevil and Cap) already have it. I also mentioned I think the one deeper in that lets you resist a heavy attack when blocking is really nice. I notice sometimes it does stagger me but I take no damage, other times it doesn't even stagger me which means I avoided the heavy (which does like 3.3x light punch damage) and then I counter attack with 5 punches that he can't block.

Edit to add: I find the perfect block and resist heavy are particularly helpful on catalysts quests that seem to have the elite AI. The tough side of the Hard level class cats, they can often punch my block twice and whip off a perfectly timed heavy before I can retreat from the heavy which was very much on my mind at the time. Less useful on Versus as they don't get as good of AI normally.

I went with the health and attack percent increase because I cared mostly about my top group. But you need to be pretty high level before it wins out over the straight numeric bonuses, so consider that. I'd look up the max for each and do the math for your characters. Also some may care more about their 2* tourney teams than their top quest characters, which would favor the straight numeric bonus.

Got another premium crystal as a fight reward. Easy path of the tier 2 Science catalyst quest... got ambushed by Storm and got the crystal for beating her.

Where do you guys get this info.

My attack goes like this

Backswipe, frontswipe, punch punch punch

Backswipe, block, frontswipe, punch punch

Get to yellow, use it

Try to evade their powers

Do.it all again and hope I have enough life to win

Where do you guys get this info.

My attack goes like this

Backswipe, frontswipe, punch punch punch

Backswipe, block, frontswipe, punch punch

Get to yellow, use it

Try to evade their powers

Do.it all again and hope I have enough life to win
Click on the hero and read his info. Different spots in there you also click to get more info.

If you haven't unlocked a character's signature of course you don't get the bonus, but also can't read it. But in Versus if facing one that has it unlocked, you can click on his head and it'll give you the text of what is signature does.

Another while I'm thinking about it.

You don't always have to stand blocking and take the lessened damage of someone's non-red special. Someone like Colossus's yellow special, if you see it and aren't hit yet you can retreat far enough back he won't hit you, then dash back in as it is ending to get in hits. Panther and Iron Fist you can but have to keep dashing back repeatedly as they will close a big distance at the start to get to you. Iron Man just have to cover up, I don't think his beam has a max range. Thor and Storm have a max range on their green special so you can often dart completely out of range of it, but I think their 2nd has infinite range.

Can save enough health over just standing blocking that it could be the difference in a close fight.

The Item Use event has started and the prizes are a little better than last week. There are 3 more 2* Black Widows to be won. That represents 30 * 30 = 900 in dupe points if we all save them for next dupe event.

So are we still punting or are we going for it?

For the item event... I was saving my XP boosts and some other items for today. Can chip in 100-150 points towards the 1000 needed.

Unfortunately I started my Thanos run last night as I thought we'd need the 3*, so I just burned through about 100 health items right before this event and don't have much to use at this point.

It says 20 points for "Use a Level 1 Team Revive or any standard boost".

If you guys want to go for it I can throw in a bunch of boosts too. Just everyone give some feedback either way please so we can decide.

Widow's signature doesn't improve with additional dupes. So if we do, we're doing it for the Iso we get for the dupe, plus being able to wait a week to claim her until the dupe event rolls around again so we get points for her.

Duplicate events mean I get new champs. I got a 3* Captain Marvel this morning.

The only time I ever not get duplicates is these events.

Now I know for a fact that this fame is F-ing with me. :mellow:

If the XP/health/attack boosts count I can totally throw some of those at this during tourney fights. I could use the red ISO.

It says 20 points for "Use a Level 1 Team Revive or any standard boost".

If you guys want to go for it I can throw in a bunch of boosts too. Just everyone give some feedback either way please so we can decide.
I'm in for doing it. The added 2* conversion rate on top of the dup event makes sense to throw a few boosts at this.

I'll use some items tonight. Got quite a stockpile.
Same here. I have a collection of Boosts that I don't typically use. I'll go through a few of these today as well. If my calcs are correct, I have about 275 pts tied up in just Lesser and Regular Boost items I can use.

Users who are viewing this thread