What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Confession time: I really don't like Christmas (1 Viewer)

For me it doesn't really get any better than Trans-Siberian Orchestra.

we went a few night ago - it was a little long but really good (2.5 hrs) ...kept thinking ok, it's over now ...but no

a little hacky, but I liked that, it's like you took the hair metal guys and riffs and put them into Christmas music

all the guys have really, really long hair and lots of leather, they pull a number of riffs from popular 70s-early 80s songs that they change up ever so slightly, but are fairly recognizable still

clearly aiming at the 50 and up crowd and dragging the family with them

the light show and background "drop" (still lighting rather than true stage drops) are nothing short of spectacular

the arena is 18K capacity and was jam-packed, figuring the backstage portion of non-seating - it must have had 13k - 14K in attendance.

the tickets were $125/ea so they are making bank

Last edited:
Gummies are your friend
I'll share my holiday gummies story. Just had my in-laws here "for Thanksgiving." I put that in quotes because they were here 12 days. Yes, 12. It's unbelievable. At least they didn't actually stay at our house. But still. It's horrific.

So I was already well past sick of them by the time the actual holiday was over. The day after Thanksgiving, I was supposed to go wine tasting with my wife and her parents. The in-laws are snobs in a lot of ways, but none moreso than when it comes to wine. So it was going to be extra-excruciating.

My wife and I have three sets of gummies in the house that we use in varying amounts: ones for sleep, ones for chilling out and ones for having giggle fits.

I've never had the ones for chilling out before. But my wife has a stressful job and kind of loses her mind on Sundays as she anticipates going back to work on Monday, so she'll use the anti-anxiety ones on Sundays if she feels extra stressed out.

So, I figured that Friday morning was the perfect day for me to try out those gummies. If I ever needed to chill out, it was going to be for the next few hours of wine tasting with her parents. So, my wife usually takes one, so I took two of them.

(Narrator's note: This is where I announce that her usual dose of these gummies is a half, not a full one. So me taking two means I just took four times the amount she normally takes.)

We head off to the winery - wife is driving (this is called foreshadowing) - about 11:30 a.m., and I figure it could take anywhere from 45-90 minutes for the gummies to start kicking in. It's about a 20-minute drive, then we get seated in this sort of tent area with big space heaters, etc.

Next thing I know, my teeth start buzzing. I don't know what that means, but they did. All my senses seemed heightened. I'm half-deaf, and I was picking up full conversations in other rooms. Every time I try to focus on something, I get one of these Alfred Hitchcock vertigo effects. I'm drinking water hand over fist.

Then the blackouts start. I'll be looking at my father-in-law, nodding along as usual, and then all of the sudden he says something that is so out of place and so out of context, that I know I couldn't possibly have heard several sentences prior to that.

And it's not going away.

Then at one point, my wife says, "Oh, these are big pours here, you better drive the rest of the day, honey."

So I'm freaking out. If we were with anyone else on earth, I just would've shared the fact that I was baked and out on my feet. No big deal. But if I said I was "on drugs" to her parents, they would've called the police (yeah, it's legal here) and when that failed tried to drive me straight to an ER or a rehab facility themselves.

Time is standing still. I'm really starting to get a little worried, because this high is not like any other high I've had from the different gummies I've used before. So I just don't know where this is headed exactly or when it's going to stop.

I keep blacking out. I keep drinking water. I keep looking at everyone, trying to find some sign that they recognize something is wrong with me. Nothing.

We finally finish up at the first place and are walking out to the car to go to the second place. It feels like I'm walking on a trampoline. So I hang back behind my in-laws and grab my wife. "I can't drive. I'm so freaking baked."

"Are you serious? What did you take?" she asks.

"I took two of yours."

"TWO????!!!!!!"

It was glorious, Blue.

how was the wine?

Gummies are your friend
I'll share my holiday gummies story. Just had my in-laws here "for Thanksgiving." I put that in quotes because they were here 12 days. Yes, 12. It's unbelievable. At least they didn't actually stay at our house. But still. It's horrific.

So I was already well past sick of them by the time the actual holiday was over. The day after Thanksgiving, I was supposed to go wine tasting with my wife and her parents. The in-laws are snobs in a lot of ways, but none moreso than when it comes to wine. So it was going to be extra-excruciating.

My wife and I have three sets of gummies in the house that we use in varying amounts: ones for sleep, ones for chilling out and ones for having giggle fits.

I've never had the ones for chilling out before. But my wife has a stressful job and kind of loses her mind on Sundays as she anticipates going back to work on Monday, so she'll use the anti-anxiety ones on Sundays if she feels extra stressed out.

So, I figured that Friday morning was the perfect day for me to try out those gummies. If I ever needed to chill out, it was going to be for the next few hours of wine tasting with her parents. So, my wife usually takes one, so I took two of them.

(Narrator's note: This is where I announce that her usual dose of these gummies is a half, not a full one. So me taking two means I just took four times the amount she normally takes.)

We head off to the winery - wife is driving (this is called foreshadowing) - about 11:30 a.m., and I figure it could take anywhere from 45-90 minutes for the gummies to start kicking in. It's about a 20-minute drive, then we get seated in this sort of tent area with big space heaters, etc.

Next thing I know, my teeth start buzzing. I don't know what that means, but they did. All my senses seemed heightened. I'm half-deaf, and I was picking up full conversations in other rooms. Every time I try to focus on something, I get one of these Alfred Hitchcock vertigo effects. I'm drinking water hand over fist.

Then the blackouts start. I'll be looking at my father-in-law, nodding along as usual, and then all of the sudden he says something that is so out of place and so out of context, that I know I couldn't possibly have heard several sentences prior to that.

And it's not going away.

Then at one point, my wife says, "Oh, these are big pours here, you better drive the rest of the day, honey."

So I'm freaking out. If we were with anyone else on earth, I just would've shared the fact that I was baked and out on my feet. No big deal. But if I said I was "on drugs" to her parents, they would've called the police (yeah, it's legal here) and when that failed tried to drive me straight to an ER or a rehab facility themselves.

Time is standing still. I'm really starting to get a little worried, because this high is not like any other high I've had from the different gummies I've used before. So I just don't know where this is headed exactly or when it's going to stop.

I keep blacking out. I keep drinking water. I keep looking at everyone, trying to find some sign that they recognize something is wrong with me. Nothing.

We finally finish up at the first place and are walking out to the car to go to the second place. It feels like I'm walking on a trampoline. So I hang back behind my in-laws and grab my wife. "I can't drive. I'm so freaking baked."

"Are you serious? What did you take?" she asks.

"I took two of yours."

"TWO????!!!!!!"

It was glorious, Blue.

how was the wine?
My wife said it was good. I have no opinion or recollection one way or the other.

My wife absolutely loves Christmas. We have boxes upon boxes of decorations. Our tree has gone up as early as October (granted it's for a "Halloween tree") but no later than just before Thanksgiving... it's up. And the house is decked out, inside and out. She knows I don't really give a crap what the house looks like since we rarely have visitors. She and the kids put up the tree and decorate it, and put all the decorations up throughout the house. Wife puts the lights and stuff up outside too. Only thing I really do is help out at church with the giant tree they put up.

I like shopping for family. I always get real thoughtful gifts which are appreciated. I like gift-giving. The wife handles the shopping for the kids. No more Santa in our household, which is sad.

This year's celebrations will be tough. My dad will likely be either in the hospital or a skilled care center following his current hospital stay. Wife has to work on Christmas Eve because her boss is a jerk and can't find anyone else to work that day/evening (Starbucks). We will probably just go to a restaurant for dinner, have the kids open a few gifts, and wait until Christmas Day to get everyone together.... but of course things will be not as jolly seeing that my Dad's not doing great.

I worked in retail for a few decades, and came to loathe Christmas. A constant line at the register, endless stream of bad Xmas music, demanding customers, parking nightmares, etc.

I have been out of retail for 14 years now, and have come to enjoy Christmas again just in the past few years.

Oh yeah WELL,

My SiL moved to Florida this past summer/fall .... she is coming to visit her kids and stay with us for 3 days. no biggie .....
She texts my wife, hey I'm going to bring my dog - can you find someone to watch your dog since they can't be around each other :lmao:

GTFO with that. I told my wife if you cave on this I'm going to a hotel for the week. I hate her sister ftr
This would result in a hard no from me. She didn't ask, and she can't kick out your dog. Tell her she can't bring her dog. Maybe she'll get huffy and not come at all. I've done this. Nope. Just. Not. Happening.

I love Christmas.

Me too GB. Love everything about it, including the music.

Now there are a couple things we did/do that make it great for us:

• No presents for adults essentially. My wife makes thinks for the old folks. We’ve stopped buying for the older nieces and nephews too
  • Decorations can be done in a couple hours with 6 of us and taken down in same amount of time
  • We never travel - all family is here. I get to sleep in my own bed
  • Kids are older - none of that Santa nonsense, Elf on the shelf, hiding gifts
  • Spiked eggnog
  • My office slows down a lot in December so I can actually relax

I've begun to really love Christmas. I like seeing my house decorated. If you see my miniature Christmas tree thread, you'll probably begin to understand why I like Christmas so much. It's not the fake cheer, the processed and manufactured sentiments by advertisers, nor material gain that moves me.

I guess what moves me is that It seems like every moment these days is a potential last moment with family. My parents are aging. One is 78 and the other 74. I've lived sort of a difficult life, one might say (by my own hand, really -- I was raised with relative privilege) and I live with them -- we're all close in proximity to my brother. Anyway, as the years have gone on and my parents have moved to the West Coast, I've noticed some things. Like, family things. My mom's sisters and their husbands have all gotten older (one of the husbands passed in 2021, which while not a shock to everybody, was difficult for my aunt) and mortality is creeping or checking in. I mean, everybody's family deals with mortality and family, but it's a little bit different when you're across the country. They don't see each other as much (if at all) and I don't see them, either. So the support group of family and casual visits isn't really there anymore. So it's a daunting thing for my parents to be all across the country, virtually alone with each other and my brother and I.

Speaking of my brother, he used to have an extended family. My brother and his second wife and her children and his children would be around all the time come the holidays. They were basically kids when we moved out here, and they've gotten older, too. So what used to be a big Christmas celebration has dwindled as they've gotten older and gone off to college or been married and had kids and other such adult things. But my brother and her recently got divorced, so there will be no big Christmas celebration this year with them, nothing to note nor any ties that really bind. We'll probably exchange texts and that will be the extent of it. So that makes me sad.

So why do I like Christmas? It's quite simple. My Mom decorates. Now, she doesn't decorate world class or tackily inside and out, she just decorates some typical Season's Greetings stuff and breaks out the fake tree and the fake garland and all of that. But it's not seeing the decorations that makes me happy. It's the motivation behind them. See, my mother's mother was an alcoholic. Bad one. Like had trouble raising the kids bad. Like I would get to know alcoholic bad in my own life. And for whatever reason, my Mom took care of her when she got older and couldn't take care of herself. Out of the three sisters, Mom was really the one who played caregiver role. I remember it because my grandmother used to live with us when I was a senior in high school. And she was not well. And seeing her let me know what my mother's childhood was like, and it wasn't really pretty. And all her life, my mother has been like that. Caregiving to thankless people. And I was one of those for quite a bit. My father, he doesn't do much these days. He just sits in his new office and comes down for dinner, and my mother abides this, and cares for him regardless of his virtual wall of silence he grants everybody else. (Don't get me wrong. I love my father. He's a good guy. But he seems depressed and angry half the time. Aging and two kids like me and my brother will do that.)

And Mom loves the old department stores and has great memories of their Christmas trees and decorations, and she reminds me of this. So, in a way, her decorating is really re-creating a difficult childhood memory, only with people who aren't storming and stamping drunk through everything, like her mother used to do -- like I used to do. So I guess I'm just grateful on Christmas for the decorations. The trees, the garland, the Snoopy figurines, Woodstock the bird (later in life she figured out my love of the two cartoon animals, and she's festooned them upon me with love) stuffed animals, ornaments, trinkets, and other things. And her first name is shared by a character from The Grinch Stole Christmas so every so often I'll laugh and chide her about Cindy Lou Who (she loves the Grinch).

So that's what Christmas is now really. My mother, aging, my father, reclusive, and me, reconstructing a life gone otherwise awry. And that's okay. I'll take it. And I'll also remember how fragile life is, how this might be the last time you ever see someone (I told one of my brother's stepdaughters "I'll see you soon" after the 2019 Super Bowl. It took another two years to see her because of COVID and other things, and I only got to say stuff in passing before the divorce, so I know exactly how fleeting these times in our lives are) on the holidays in their current state. And that's okay. For all the time I spend on this board in my more selfishly emo moments or trying to "stop time" as it were, it's not lost on me that not everything is about me. Sometimes it's about a person remembering their own childhood and their own losses, and constructing a reality with meaning to them -- a meaning that is palatable. It comes into clarity around the holidays, these feelings and emotions, and I hope to have a wonderful Christmas this Christmas. My mother has made a home someone finally appreciates without being concerned about themselves and where they fit into it, really. So that's me on Christmas. You can bet I'll do everything I can to be present and in the moment. There may not be many more like it.

Last edited:
For me the key to really enjoying Christmas was to get rid of the "have-to" visits.

We have to visit these people on this day.

We did it for a few years but it made Christmas exhausting. That running around to seemingly get in every family member. Throw in in-laws and a divorce or two and many people feel like they have 3-5 places to cram into two days. One year we did 4 in two days. Ugh.

About 15 years ago, my wife and I decided "enough". We'd start having our own Christmas, and doing what we wanted. That meant xmas eve and morning to ourselves, and (maybe) one fun/relaxed visit on xmas day. But no "dinner here / dessert there" stuff to check a box - nobody really likes that. If we could we saw some other people over two weeks on either side of Christmas, but no pressure ("hey, we're not gonna see you Christmas, but maybe this Sunday we watch football and do a pot-luck?")

A credit to our families that nobody got offended/cared/etc. In fact most followed our lead. YMMV (families can be weird), but I do urge anyone who is tired of the Xmas tour to do this - the Christmas that really matters is the one with your own spouse and kids. My wife and I now have our own traditions/meals/etc, and it's really fun.

For me the key to really enjoying Christmas was to get rid of the "have-to" visits.

We did it for a few years but it made Christmas exhausting. That running around to seemingly get in every family member. Throw in in-laws and a divorce or two and many people feel like they have 3-5 places to cram into two days. One year we did 4 in two days. Ugh.

About 15 years ago, my wife and I decided "enough". We'd start having our own Christmas, and doing what we wanted. That meant xmas eve and morning to ourselves, and (maybe) one fun/relaxed visit on xmas day. But no "dinner here / dessert there" stuff to check a box - nobody really likes that. If we could we saw some other people over two weeks on either side of Christmas, but no pressure ("hey, we're not gonna see you Christmas, but maybe this Sunday we watch football and do a pot-luck?")

A credit to our families that nobody got offended/cared/etc. In fact most followed our lead. YMMV (families can be weird), but I do urge anyone who is tired of the Xmas tour to do this - the Christmas that really matters is the one with your own spouse and kids. My wife and I now have our own traditions/meals/etc, and it's really fun.

Same for us. We were exhausted and unhappy, and so was everybody else because they were mad we couldn’t stay long. Now we switch a different place every Christmas Eve and stay the f home Christmas Day.

I have gently suggested to my wife that we go this route but that didn't go over well. I honestly don't understand it as she has expressed recently how much anxiety she gets visiting family. But, I think there are certain extended family members where this wouldn't fly and she's worried about it.

For me, with four little kids traveling for the holidays and staying in places not our house is just too stressful in of itself. The sense of loss of control hits both my wife and me hard. I imagine this will improve as our kids get older but, presently, visiting family seems like -EV especially given that we bought a house this year that is large enough to host.

I can relate to a lot in here, but I suppose due to my own circumstances. Always loved Christmas. Then........

A. I took on a career in sales, and seem to always work in a place that closes the fiscal year by the calendar. This means I'm usually helping my teams chase deals the week after Christmas, and reporting forecasts way too regularly. So many friends are out partying and celebrating for the last two weeks, headed to Tahoe, etc. Nope.

2. I got married to an incredible woman. But she is also in sales, so we're both grinding at the same time. On top of A, it makes it hard to get all the Christmas stuff done, because we're working a ton. She also has an incredibly ****ty birthday of January 3rd, when all the nice restaurants shut down for the week after NYE, the weather sucks, everyone else is spent because they were celebrating the holidays, etc. This now means I'm stressing about the holidays, work, and her birthday. Not her fault, but here we are.

D. Had kids. Like the rest of you, I want to make sure they have amazing Christmases, but that gets more and more difficult. From gift-buying, getting them to and from all of their activities, decorating the house (I pull out and distribute 16 large storage totes each year, plus two trees), etc., it's just relentless.

Starting from the day after Thanksgiving, I am running non-stop (writing this post is probably the most cathartic thing I've done since then, and will be headed out shortly to pick up one kid to take him to the orthodontist, and the other to his basketball practice). So, what used to be eat, drink and be merry is now work, drive, and be stressed.

I'm also of the firm belief that Christmas has turned into the Abiliene Paradox over the years. This thread kinda confirms it. As a society, we've put too much emphasis on the pomp and circumstance of it all, assuming that's what everyone else wants. Maybe we should just slow the **** down and enjoy each others company.

The best Christmas present my wife ever got me was buying artificial trees from Balsam Hill. While I loved the CONCEPT of going and picking out a tree, it just made me miserable. All things that have happened at least once, if not consistently:

- Gotta get the perfect tree, so wind up visiting three lots
- Pouring rain on the only day we have available to get it
- Tree falls off the roof of the SUV (fortunately not completely, but needed to pull over, then climb out the other side of the car to fix)
- A full week of carving out time here and there just to get the damn thing lit
- Tree dies and gets crusty before Christmas

This act of generosity by her has dropped my stress level noticeably (but certainly not completely), and I'm grateful for that.

Merry Christmas, everyone (seriously)

Phew...that indeed was cathartic.

I have gently suggested to my wife that we go this route but that didn't go over well. I honestly don't understand it as she has expressed recently how much anxiety she gets visiting family. But, I think there are certain extended family members where this wouldn't fly and she's worried about it.

For me, with four little kids traveling for the holidays and staying in places not our house is just too stressful in of itself. The sense of loss of control hits both my wife and me hard. I imagine this will improve as our kids get older but, presently, visiting family seems like -EV especially given that we bought a house this year that is large enough to host.

"hey everyone, listen. I love you all, but running around all Christmas is too stressful on the four kids and us too. But no worries - we're hosting this year. C'mon over!"

Any chance that works? Or maybe "we want to stay home and start our own traditions with the kids." Honestly, there's a lot to be said for that.

About 15 years ago, my wife and I decided "enough". We'd start having our own Christmas, and doing what we wanted
Hey for real, I think a lot of people who get holiday stress could benefit from this. Go clean slate with your Christmas traditions, do the stuff that would bring you joy.

"hey everyone, listen. I love you all, but running around all Christmas is too stressful on the four kids and us too. But no worries - we're hosting this year. C'mon over!"

Any chance that works? Or maybe "we want to stay home and start our own traditions with the kids." Honestly, there's a lot to be said for that.
I suggested both. They were dismissed pretty quickly.

I suggested both. They were dismissed pretty quickly.

Sorry to hear that. Enjoy it as best you can.

Reactions: Zow
The men want to do what would be best. The women want to do what they think should be done.
It's a huge disconnect in my experience.

• Laughing
Reactions: J R
I've begun to really love Christmas. I like seeing my house decorated. If you see my miniature Christmas tree thread, you'll probably begin to understand why I like Christmas so much. It's not the fake cheer, the processed and manufactured sentiments by advertisers, nor material gain that moves me.

I guess what moves me is that It seems like every moment these days is a potential last moment with family. My parents are aging. One is 78 and the other 74. I've lived sort of a difficult life, one might say (by my own hand, really -- I was raised with relative privilege) and I live with them -- we're all close in proximity to my brother. Anyway, as the years have gone on and my parents have moved to the West Coast, I've noticed some things. Like, family things. My mom's sisters and their husbands have all gotten older (one of the husbands passed in 2021, which while not a shock to everybody, was difficult for my aunt) and mortality is creeping or checking in. I mean, everybody's family deals with mortality and family, but it's a little bit different when you're across the country. They don't see each other as much (if at all) and I don't see them, either. So the support group of family and casual visits isn't really there anymore. So it's a daunting thing for my parents to be all across the country, virtually alone with each other and my brother and I.

Speaking of my brother, he used to have an extended family. My brother and his second wife and her children and his children would be around all the time come the holidays. They were basically kids when we moved out here, and they've gotten older, too. So what used to be a big Christmas celebration has dwindled as they've gotten older and gone off to college or been married and had kids and other such adult things. But my brother and her recently got divorced, so there will be no big Christmas celebration this year with them, nothing to note nor any ties that really bind. We'll probably exchange texts and that will be the extent of it. So that makes me sad.

So why do I like Christmas? It's quite simple. My Mom decorates. Now, she doesn't decorate world class or tackily inside and out, she just decorates some typical Season's Greetings stuff and breaks out the fake tree and the fake garland and all of that. But it's not seeing the decorations that makes me happy. It's the motivation behind them. See, my mother's mother was an alcoholic. Bad one. Like had trouble raising the kids bad. Like I would get to know alcoholic bad in my own life. And for whatever reason, my Mom took care of her when she got older and couldn't take care of herself. Out of the three sisters, Mom was really the one who played caregiver role. I remember it because my grandmother used to live with us when I was a senior in high school. And she was not well. And seeing her let me know what my mother's childhood was like, and it wasn't really pretty. And all her life, my mother has been like that. Caregiving to thankless people. And I was one of those for quite a bit. My father, he doesn't do much these days. He just sits in his new office and comes down for dinner, and my mother abides this, and cares for him regardless of his virtual wall of silence he grants everybody else. (Don't get me wrong. I love my father. He's a good guy. But he seems depressed and angry half the time. Aging and two kids like me and my brother will do that.)

And Mom loves the old department stores and has great memories of their Christmas trees and decorations, and she reminds me of this. So, in a way, her decorating is really re-creating a difficult childhood memory, only with people who aren't storming and stamping drunk through everything, like her mother used to do -- like I used to do. So I guess I'm just grateful on Christmas for the decorations. The trees, the garland, the Snoopy figurines, Woodstock the bird (later in life she figured out my love of the two cartoon animals, and she's festooned them upon me with love) stuffed animals, ornaments, trinkets, and other things. And her first names is a character from the Grinch Stole Christmas so every so often I'll laugh and chide her about Cindy Lou Who (she loves the Grinch).

So that's what Christmas is now really. My mother, aging, my father, reclusive, and me, reconstructing a life gone otherwise awry. And that's okay. I'll take it. And I'll also remember how fragile life is, how this might be the last time you ever see someone (I told one of my brother's stepdaughters "I'll see you soon" after the 2019 Super Bowl. It took another two years to see her because of COVID and other things, and I only got to say stuff in passing before the divorce, so I know exactly how fleeting these times in our lives are) on the holidays in their current state. And that's okay. For all the time I spend on this board in my more selfishly emo moments or trying to "stop time" as it were, it's not lost on me that not everything is about me. Sometimes it's about a person remembering their own childhood and their own losses, and constructing a reality with meaning to them -- a meaning that is palatable. It comes into clarity around the holidays, these feelings and emotions, and I hope to have a wonderful Christmas this Christmas. My mother has made a home someone finally appreciates without being concerned about themselves and where they fit into it, really. So that's me on Christmas. You can bet I'll do everything I can to be present and in the moment. There may not be many more like it.

That's beautiful, man. Where are the Snoopy and Woodstock emojis when I need them?

And - true to FFA form as ever - your lovely post is immediately followed by its bizarro world version:

Christmas brings out the worst in people.

(Not picking on you ghostguy, just noting the quirky juxtaposition of these two posts)

This is what we did about 14 years ago. Between Christmas Eve and Christmas Day we went to SIX different events.

No more. We chose one event on Christmas Eve and Christmas day we hosted a mid afternoon lunch and told everyone to come on over. If they want to see the babies, they will come over. Trust me on this one.

And if they get butt hurt about it, then YOU are not as important to them as they are to you. Because of all the years of us making the effort….well…it was their turn.

And it has worked. We see the people most important to us without any of the stress.

Both my parents and my living brother's family live cross state - couple hours away. Navigating the holidays the first couple years post marriage + kid was more stress than it was worth, but we figured out a routine by kid #2. We do Christmas Eve and Christmas up here (her family's all around Cleveland) then we go there the day after. If we're travelling with babies then it's a long day cause isn't any way we're staying the night. When they're nearing the wall call it quits then hit the road before the melt down and they're passed out before we hit the edge of town. Once the kids got older (7, 10, and 12 now) we began the over night routine and started leaving them over there for 2-3 days after as my folks volunteered to taxi them back so they get some extra grandkids time.

Christmas may now be a week long event, but with everything spread out the stress is pretty much gone. We can enjoy each day rather than rushing to one place so we can get to the next one and enjoy none of it.

And if they get butt hurt about it, then YOU are not as important to them as they are to you. Because of all the years of us making the effort….well…it was their turn.

I'm lucky my family was prettymuch "finally, somebody said it". And my mom is super chill and knows we were happier not driving 1.5 hours to see her, and that made her happy (and she lives with my brother and his five kids so there's tons of activity for her). My wife's family was less traditional, and there were issues my wife had with them anyway so they were an easy cut.

But we were ready to do it anyway, no matter what anyone said or felt. After the year we went to four places, I thought "I'm 40... what am I doing? When do *I* get to decide my holiday?" My wife felt the same. And that was that.

The men want to do what would be best. The women want to do what they think should be done.
It's a huge disconnect in my experience.
Yeah, this is pretty accurate on at least this issue. My wife absolutely feels that we should, and therefore must, see family on the holidays even though she knows it brings stress and anxiety that we wouldn't have at home.

Both my parents and my living brother's family live cross state - couple hours away. Navigating the holidays the first couple years post marriage + kid was more stress than it was worth, but we figured out a routine by kid #2. We do Christmas Eve and Christmas up here (her family's all around Cleveland) then we go there the day after. If we're travelling with babies then it's a long day cause isn't any way we're staying the night. When they're nearing the wall call it quits then hit the road before the melt down and they're passed out before we hit the edge of town. Once the kids got older (7, 10, and 12 now) we began the over night routine and started leaving them over there for 2-3 days after as my folks volunteered to taxi them back so they get some extra grandkids time.

Christmas may now be a week long event, but with everything spread out the stress is pretty much gone. We can enjoy each day rather than rushing to one place so we can get to the next one and enjoy none of it.

This is a pretty good solution. Nothing wrong with stretching it out. I don't want to discount the importance of seeing family, holidays or otherwise. Before we moved to NC we'd take those 4 visits we used to do on xmas eve/day and stretch them out over a few Dec/Jan weekends. Made it much better.

That's beautiful, man. Where are the Snoopy and Woodstock emojis when I need them?

And - true to FFA form as ever - your lovely post is immediately followed by its bizarro world version

Thanks, man. I was thinking about deleting it this morning because of too much information, but it'll stay. I'm glad you were affected enough to comment. That's cool.

I did notice ghostguy123's post under mine and had a good laugh about it, too. I was trying to see the best in the holiday and be the best I could be for it, and that comment was perfect.

Pin, meet balloon. *gasbag*

violent night was pretty great. wife was slightly appalled, but really liked it. 16 year old and I were crying laughing. wife was laughing as well, between covering her eyes. would recommend.

LAM!!! i have a huge *** house. ;)

Thanks, man. I was thinking about deleting it this morning because of too much information, but it'll stay. I'm glad you were affected enough to comment. That's cool.

I did notice ghostguy123's post under mine and had a good laugh about it, too. I was trying to see the best in the holiday and be the best I could be for it, and that comment was perfect.

violent night was pretty great. wife was slightly appalled, but really liked it. 16 year old and I were crying laughing. wife was laughing as well, between covering her eyes. would recommend.

It (sort of) happened again

It (sort of) happened again
Nah. The movie is dark, but full of the spirit of Xmas.

I think the perspective around Christmas that affected my attitude the most is that I shouldn't be a grump about receiving gifts I would never think of buying/owning even if they are cheap.

Folks want you to like the gift they picked out. It's over half the fun of giving. I certainly love seeing others' faces when they open gifts to notice if they sparked a little joy. And people want to see the same for you.

It's ok to let people love on you, even if it isn't actually how you'd choose to go about it personally. In fact, an aura of graciousness really lightens all holiday spirits imo.

1. Remember the reason for the holiday. Even if you arent a Christian, surely you can see the good Jesus did when he was on earth? Take the time for gratitude and thankfulness for all of the good things you have been blessed with.
2. We stopped drawing names last year and I loved it. It appears we are in the clear for this year as well. As others have said, buying things people dont want with money you dont have is just plain stupid.
3. Hallmark isnt real. Your expectations of putting together the perfect decorations, perfect gifts and perfect outcome are not only unrealistic, but unnecessary.

In the vein of my post above, one of my favorite Christmas traditions has nothing to do with me, but instead my brother and our aunt.

When our aunt was younger, she was a single mom working as a nurse, and struggled. She couldn't really afford gifts one year and instead brought chocolates and candies for the whole family to share. One of these confections was a chocolate orange, which I'm sure most of you have seen before. The kind you gotta whack over the bullseye with a sledgehammer to get it to break apart. Anyways, my younger brother was completely mystified by the chocolate orange technology and was over the moon with what our aunt had brought to give on Christmas. It was an emotional moment for her to see someone that appreciated what she thought was a "lesser" gift. She truly felt like she had been allowed to love my brother in the best way she could.

Anyways, fast forward to the next year. We decide to not pull names for gifts, we are just going to buy a group present for my grandparents and celebrate with a nice dinner and a house full of boys that are video game nerds. Awesome time if you ask me.

But, lo and behold, there is one extra gift under the tree this year. A lonely box wrapped in shiny blue paper. For my brother.

It was a chocolate orange, from our aunt.

To this day that entire side of the family looks forward to one of the only gifts given each year: a reminder that being loved is one of the most special things in the world.

I love spending time with my family and friends, and all of the get togethers and parties that last through New Year's. It's busy, but I love being surrounded by others.

What gets to me is all of the fricken' stuff. Trees, ornaments, tinsel, cranberry strings, inflatable reindeer, lights (inside and out), extension cords, cookie parties, egg nog, fruit cakes, ugly sweaters, candy canes, Santa outfits, wrapping paper, bows, and on and on. And then there's the gifts - not just family, but gifts for coworkers, secret Santa, housewarming presents, white elephant, and giving trees. Then there is all the stuff we buy from local fundraisers - the hockey team sells crates of apples, the wrestling team sells trees, the choir sells wreaths, the travel club sells poinsettias. It seems all I'm doing is finding, buying, unpacking, putting up, displaying, wrapping, delivering, taking down, packing up, and storing all of this stuff. It's all so very wasteful, unnecessary, and over the top.

I love spending time with my family and friends, and all of the get togethers and parties that last through New Year's. It's busy, but I love being surrounded by others.

What gets to me is all of the fricken' stuff. Trees, ornaments, tinsel, cranberry strings, inflatable reindeer, lights (inside and out), extension cords, cookie parties, egg nog, fruit cakes, ugly sweaters, candy canes, Santa outfits, wrapping paper, bows, and on and on. And then there's the gifts - not just family, but gifts for coworkers, secret Santa, housewarming presents, white elephant, and giving trees. Then there is all the stuff we buy from local fundraisers - the hockey team sells crates of apples, the wrestling team sells trees, the choir sells wreaths, the travel club sells poinsettias. It seems all I'm doing is finding, buying, unpacking, putting up, displaying, wrapping, delivering, taking down, packing up, and storing all of this stuff. It's all so very wasteful, unnecessary, and over the top.
This is the best part of holiday imo (always with booze)

I think the perspective around Christmas that affected my attitude the most is that I shouldn't be a grump about receiving gifts I would never think of buying/owning even if they are cheap.

Folks want you to like the gift they picked out. It's over half the fun of giving. I certainly love seeing others' faces when they open gifts to notice if they sparked a little joy. And people want to see the same for you.

It's ok to let people love on you, even if it isn't actually how you'd choose to go about it personally. In fact, an aura of graciousness really lightens all holiday spirits imo.
I think this is a big part of the issue for some people actually. We are supposed to fake that we really love our gifts, when the reality is that most of it is a complete waste and is more of a burden that is either going to be stuffed on a shelf, returned, or donated later. And because we pretended to love it, guess what we're going to get next year? The cherry on top is when it comes from someone you know really can't afford to be wasting money, or better yet, who is going to ask you to borrow some to get through the holidays. I appreciate the gesture, but I'd appreciate it a whole lot more if you donated to charity instead (if you have the means), or wrote out a nice card if you do not.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy the holidays very much overall, I just could do without all the pretending. I'm just a very practical person, and it actually makes me feel worse when someone I know shouldn't be buying all this crap is doing so just to keep up appearances. All part of the fakebook life I suppose, but I firmly believe the vast majority would be much better off just being honest and doing things that bring us joy instead of stress. I'm not saying we should chastise our loved ones and I do recognize that there are circumstances where little white lies are the better choice, particularly when they'd bring joy to others.

The other day I was out Christmas shopping. As I parked the car at the mall, I heard Last Christmas. I proceeded to hear that song in every store I went in, all different versions. When I got back in the car, it was on again. It was on the radio when I walked in the house. I heard that song 12 times in three hours. All I can say is, I cannot be held responsible the next time I hear it. I may go postal. I don't understand why this is the year for Last Christmas. I don't care who sings it . . . Wham!, Taylor Swift, Jason Diaz, Ariana Grande, Kelly Clarkson, Backstreet Boys . . . I can't take it anymore. Make it stop!

The other day I was out Christmas shopping. As I parked the car at the mall, I heard Last Christmas. I proceeded to hear that song in every store I went in, all different versions. When I got back in the car, it was on again. It was on the radio when I walked in the house. I heard that song 12 times in three hours. All I can say is, I cannot be held responsible the next time I hear it. I may go postal. I don't understand why this is the year for Last Christmas. I don't care who sings it . . . Wham!, Taylor Swift, Jason Diaz, Ariana Grande, Kelly Clarkson, Backstreet Boys . . . I can't take it anymore. Make it stop!
I feel like this is one of those that you could control.

Yes, he could make a mixtape that includes all the versions. That way he could hear it all year long.

That one was easy to avoid, as I changed the channel to something that wasn't Christmas music. But I have now taken to relishing the narrator of the song getting dumped. I embrace it. Oddly enough, it's not giving me a Bah Humbug attitude about Christmas and I'm not losing any Xmas spirit. It's just that song that sets me off.

Users who are viewing this thread