What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Leonard Fournette, FA (3 Viewers)

The key is I think he played himself out of Tampa affording him....if Jones has that backfield to himself he could play himself into a #2 fantasy RB in that O
Jones is a very good runner, but it just seems like TB tries to replace him every time they get a chance. Seems like a sneaky place for a high pick, especially with Jones in a contract year. 

Jones is a very good runner, but it just seems like TB tries to replace him every time they get a chance. Seems like a sneaky place for a high pick, especially with Jones in a contract year. 
I would not even call it sneaky, have seen Najee mocked to them some already with idea that team would value someone who could be an immediate producer and while I like ROJO I do think someone like that would be a really nice addition to this offense.

But you are right that ROJO is a very good runner. Passes the eye test quite easily and based on Next Gen Stats was basically the second best interior runner in the league and he combines that with breakaway speed. He's got juice and power and has put in hard work to improve every season. He just needs to improve on some of the things RB's are asked to do when the ball is not in their hands and do a better job of holding onto the ball when it comes his way.

Unless Fournette faces a brutally cold FA market I'd be surprised if he returns to Tampa. Fournette has a high opinion of himself and I think wants a bigger guaranteed role in addition to money, Tampa's got a lot of players to resign and Brady has turned Tampa into his own personal recruiting ground and I'm sure they know if they need to complement ROJO with another RB other then Vaughn they won't need to try to hard to resign Fournette. They'll have options.

Fournette does not like the cold, believes in himself and thinks he should be a starting RB and like most players wants to get well compensated. I look at those factors and think he's heading to Atlanta or Houston.

They took Vaughn in the 3rd last year, but seem to trust him very little.  He had bad turnovers in the couple games he was active and received touches.  Jones broke out somewhat in his second year though too. 

I expect they'll also be looking at James White in free agency.  Their RBs were abysmal out of the backfield.

If a top RB falls to 32?  Wouldn't surprise me to see them take a shot. 

Vaughn never had an off-season to get acclimated. Unfair to write him off. And RoJo is a better runner than LF. I expect LF to leave and hopefully RoJo can learn how to catch. 

Bucs don’t need to draft a RB in round 1 with Jones around. I’d be disappointed in that. 

Vaughn never had an off-season to get acclimated. Unfair to write him off. And RoJo is a better runner than LF. I expect LF to leave and hopefully RoJo can learn how to catch. 

Bucs don’t need to draft a RB in round 1 with Jones around. I’d be disappointed in that. 
James White is an UFA and he is a big time Brady binky...would not be surprised if he ends up in Tampa.

MMQB's Albert Breer reports the Seahawks have made a "strong bid" for Leonard Fournette. 

The Patriots, Breer added, are also interested in signing Lombardi Lenny. Breer said Tom Brady is recruiting Fournette to return to Tampa after Fournette emerged as the team's primary ball carrier down the stretch of the 2020 season. Fournette's impressive postseason was always going to attract running back-needy teams, and with the departure of Chris Carson, Seattle fits that description. Ronald Jones, who was the Bucs No. 1 back before injuries hampered him late in the season, would be the clear beneficiary of Fournette leaving town. Fournette would instantly jump ahead of Travis Homer, Rashaad Penny, and DeeJay Dallas if he were to sign with the Seahawks. In Seattle's run heavy offense, Fournette would have volume-based upside. 

RELATED: 

Ronald Jones

, Seattle Seahawks

, Tampa Bay Buccaneers

, New England Patriots

SOURCE: Albert Breer on Twitter 

Mar 16, 2021, 8:23 AM ET

The Tampa Bay Times' Joey Knight reports the Bucs have made "no real headway" with Leonard Fournette. 

Fournette is taking his sweet time to sign after emerging as Tampa's No. 1 back in the final month of the 2020 season. Seattle was reportedly interested in Fournette before they re-signed Chris Carson -- a move that probably means the Seahawks are off the list of potential Fournette landing spots. Fournette could be in line for an unreasonably rich short-term deal with a bad team after looking the part of an every-down back in December and January. His departure from Tampa would open the starting job to Ronald Jones, who was dinged up in the final month of the 2020 season. 

RELATED: 

Ronald Jones

, Tampa Bay Buccaneers

SOURCE: Joey Knight on Twitter 

Mar 24, 2021, 10:31 AM ET

Josina Anderson reports Leonard Fournette is re-signing with the Bucs. 

It's a one-year deal worth up to $4 million, as Tampa continues to keep its championship roster intact. Chris Carson returning to Seattle last week eliminated a potential landing spot for Fournette, who received attention from a few teams. It's surprising that Fournette, 26, didn't get a longer-term offer from a bottom dwelling team. Lombardi Lenny functioned as the Bucs' lead back during their Super Bowl run last season while Ronald Jones struggled with a quad injury. Fournette would figure to be a (slight) favorite to start 2021 as the Bucs' No. 1 back, but a healthy Jones caps his upside. Tampa's backfield split will be a topic of ample discussion in fantasy circles this summer. Unless Fournette or Jones miss time in 2021, both will likely be frustrating fantasy options. 

RELATED: 

Ronald Jones

SOURCE: Josina Anderson on Twitter 

Mar 26, 2021, 11:29 AM ET

Fournette would figure to be a (slight) favorite to start 2021 as the Bucs' No. 1 back, but a healthy Jones caps his upside.
I 100% disagree with that line. I'd be extremely surprised if ROJO is not the starting RB but we saw last year he's got one of the shortest leashes of all time.

I'm going to say the backfield will look like like it did when everyone was healthy. Rojo the starter, Fournette now the third down back and primary backup, Vaughn waiting in the wings needing an injury or hoping he gets a shot in 2022 after ROJO and Fournette's contracts run out.

Basically one signing depleted 3 Rb's value.

The good news for those of us hoping the draft offers some strong RB options past the big 3 is Fournette now won't be taking a starting role with a team and Tampa is probably out of the early round RB market.

Sigh. I was having such a good week, too. :sadbanana:

RBBC.

/debate because it’s dumb. We all saw what happened when they were both healthy. We also saw TB nearly cut Fournette late in the season. 

When both TB backs are healthy, both will play, limiting both of their upside unless one gets hurt.  This is the way. 

LEONARD FOURNETTE RB, TAMPA BAY BUCCANEERS

Speaking Tuesday, Bucs coach Bruce Arians said he doesn't know who will be his 2021 starting running back. 

"It's a new football team," Arians said. "Last year's team won the Super Bowl, this year's team hasn't done (expletive). Starting positions will be defined in practice." Leonard Fournette took the reins in the playoffs, but he was actually a healthy scratch in Week 14. His second chance only came after Ronald Jones broke his finger and got the coronavirus. Fournette’s 64 postseason carries were just 33 fewer than he handled during the regular campaign. Jones, who is headed into the final year of his rookie deal, won the 2020 touch war 220-123. It's quite possible a third back is added to the mix, further confusing matters. 

RELATED: 

Ronald Jones

SOURCE: Pewter Report on Twitter 

Mar 30, 2021, 2:49 PM ET

Well I said I thought it would be ROJO's job but this is for sure a whole lot different then Arian's party line last year of "this is ROJO's backfield". 

I  personally don't care who the starter is, just hope it's clear and not like last year when it seemed to be more hot hand driven when everyone was healthy.

Well I said I thought it would be ROJO's job but this is for sure a whole lot different then Arian's party line last year of "this is ROJO's backfield". 

I  personally don't care who the starter is, just hope it's clear and not like last year when it seemed to be more hot hand driven when everyone was healthy.
Playoff Lenny is sneaky ;). He's thorn in the side of RoJo owners.

I think RoJo is the better pure running back as far as running goes, and like you pointed out in the other thread, he seemed to have won the job despite his inability to catch the ball. I looked at their touches and your take appears to be right. Fournette was a healthy scratch as late as early double digits in weeks of the season (I think it was Week 14) and if Jones doesn't have a quad injury (forget Corona, when RoJo came back he pulled a quad -- at least that's what Tampa said) he might have run away with the starting job. I take what Arians said as coachspeak and just motivation for everybody involved. And I think unless Jones comes in catching the ball better, it's another hot hand/situational-type deal one is looking at.

Playoff Lenny is sneaky ;). He's thorn in the side of RoJo owners.
Playoff Lenny was great. ROJO week 4-6 when he got the backfield to himself was really great as well.

I own them both about the same, own the both on the same team, and it's frustrating and I'm sure I can speak for just about anyone who has owned them that we'd all just be happy if someone clearly emerged and it's hard to feel good about that happening right now.

I dropped Fournette from my Dynasty squad, and it feels good.  In fairness, I only picked him up reluctantly in free agency this offseason, and I figured I would wait until a starter was named.  Still, I kept looking at that roster spot as being wasted.  Next up:  AJ Green!

I dropped Fournette from my Dynasty squad, and it feels good.  In fairness, I only picked him up reluctantly in free agency this offseason, and I figured I would wait until a starter was named.  Still, I kept looking at that roster spot as being wasted.  Next up:  AJ Green!

His value is back on the rise if GIO's high ankle sprain is going to last all season- Fournette can survive on third down life. 

His value is back on the rise if GIO's high ankle sprain is going to last all season- Fournette can survive on third down life. 
Fair point, but Fournette was RB33 in my PPR league last season.  I suspect he will be about the same this season.  He is a RB3-RB4 for a fantasy team, with some weekly spot value.

I feel like Fournette's dynasty value is just on life support, however.  If Gio is out . . . if Ronald Jones suffers an injury . . .

Honestly, I feel better just washing my hands of Fournette.  It always pains me to carry players I don't even want to root for, so if I can get comparable point production out of someone off the waiver wire, it makes sense to move on.  In this case, I grabbed Jermar Jefferson.  He is no world beater, but I would rather take a chance on a young player who is hungry than a ho-hum vet just cashing a check, and that is what Fournette strikes me as.

Leonard Fournette rushed nine times for 32 yards in the Bucs' Week 1 win over the Cowboys, adding five receptions for 27 yards.

Although Fournette remained hilariously ineffective as a pass catcher — he turned a would-be monster gain on a screen into a Tom Brady "interception" — he took over as the Bucs' every-down back following a second quarter Ronald Jones fumble. RoJo was never heard from again following his miscue. Only on the Bucs' final drive did Fournette cede serious snaps to supposed third-down back Giovani Bernard. Even were Jones to be permanently banished to the bench, which isn't likely, Fournette is going to have a difficult time generating consistent RB2 value. He's a low-upside FLEX in an offense that wants to funnel its highest-value touches to its pass catchers.

Fournette starting today per Rappaport.

R. Jones "started" the last two weeks. That obviously meant nothing. However, I wonder if Fournette starting actually does mean something this week.

I'd think Arians is looking to protect Brady in pass protection vs. this LAR pass rush.

Nudging Fournette a bit higher now.

Fournette starting today per Rappaport.

R. Jones "started" the last two weeks. That obviously meant nothing. However, I wonder if Fournette starting actually does mean something this week.

I'd think Arians is looking to protect Brady in pass protection vs. this LAR pass rush.

Nudging Fournette a bit higher now.
I' agree with your hypothesis Kyoun1e.

I believe that Arians just has more trust in Fournette than Rojo for the long-term.   Perhaps "Playoff Lennie" can become "Regular Season Lennie".      

Leonard Fournette had four rushes for eight yards in the Bucs' Week 3 loss to the Rams, adding three receptions for 26 yards. 

Outside of a 15-yard first half reception, Fournette did next to nothing in a game that saw Tampa go into pass-heavy catchup mode in the second quarter. Gio Bernard took over backfield pass-catching duties, a major concern for fantasy managers who had relied on Fournette's inexplicable pass-catching involvement. In more normalized game script -- perhaps next week against the Patriots -- Fournette should easily see double digit touches and remains the favorite to get goal line carries for Tampa.

Sneaky sleeper this week.

Longtime NE fan here. Have a feeling Bill B. is not going to try and outsmart Brady. He can't. He knows too much.

The best strategy may be to take the ball out of his hands. Dare TB to run the ball. String the game out so NE has a chance at the end of the game.

NE did this back in the day when Manning was tearing up the league with the Broncos.

If Gio is out and RoJo is still in the doghouse, Fournette could be the biggest surprise volume play of the week.

Sneaky sleeper this week.

Longtime NE fan here. Have a feeling Bill B. is not going to try and outsmart Brady. He can't. He knows too much.

The best strategy may be to take the ball out of his hands. Dare TB to run the ball. String the game out so NE has a chance at the end of the game.

NE did this back in the day when Manning was tearing up the league with the Broncos.

If Gio is out and RoJo is still in the doghouse, Fournette could be the biggest surprise volume play of the week.
Don’t mind this call. Gio needs to be ruled out though. Add to this it’s the Sunday night game and we might not have the luxury waiting to find out if he is. 

Don’t mind this call. Gio needs to be ruled out though. Add to this it’s the Sunday night game and we might not have the luxury waiting to find out if he is. 

Another reason this could be Bill's strategy: He doesn't want Brady going nuts in his big return.

Making sure his ego doesn't get wounded may be as important objective as winning the game.

And now Gio is ruled out.

I don't expect TB to play from behind, but this should mean Fournette is the guy getting the dump offs in the backfield. Would think there are 5-8 cheap PPR points sitting there for the taking.

And if Bill B. executes the strategy I outline above, Fournette could surprise.

Leonard Fournette rushed 20 times for 91 yards and caught 3-of-5 targets for 57 yards in the Bucs' Week 4 win over the Patriots.

Fournette, who got the start in Week 3, was the clear lead back with Giovani Bernard inactive, playing 81% of the Bucs' snaps. Ronald Jones chipped in with a red-zone touchdown on six carries behind Fournette. Fournette's pass game involvement was encouraging, keeping him on the field in a near every-down role, and he got a few goal-line chances but didn't convert. Fournette has been the Bucs' leading rusher in three of four games this season. He gets a matchup with Miami in Week 5.

Oct 4, 2021, 12:28 AM ET

And now Gio is ruled out.

I don't expect TB to play from behind, but this should mean Fournette is the guy getting the dump offs in the backfield. Would think there are 5-8 cheap PPR points sitting there for the taking.

And if Bill B. executes the strategy I outline above, Fournette could surprise.

Think Fournette could be trending here.

If RoJo doesn't get thrown a bone inside the 10 yard line for a TD...huge night.

Not really seeing Gio as a serious threat. His usage may only be in serious 2 minute/catchup mode. Fournette a capable receiver to the point where Brady threw him a bomb (that he almost caught despite PI).

Tempted to plug him in vs a reeling Miami team (instead of a negative trending C. Carson).

Hmmmm, thinking of moving Lockett for Fournette in a 0.5 PPR where RB is a wasteland on the wire.  Seems like he is the lead guy now....on what is arguably one of the top 5 offenses in the NFL.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmmmm, thinking of moving Lockett for Fournette in a 0.5 PPR where RB is a wasteland on the wire.  Seems like he is the lead guy now....on what is arguably one of the top 5 offenses in the NFL.
Yes and yes. I think Lenny is still a little under the radar and seems to have TB’s trust in the passing game.

Leonard Fournette rushed 12 times for 67 yards and one touchdown in the Bucs' Week 5 win over the Dolphins, adding four catches for 43 yards on five targets.

Fournette out-carried Ronald Jones 12-5, and Giovani Bernard handled four carries late in the blowout with the Blaine Gabbert group. Bernard caught a 10-yard touchdown in the first quarter, but Fournette out-targeted him 5-2. Fournette has totally taken control of this backfield, deservedly so, and punched in a five-yard touchdown run in the fourth quarter. Fournette should be viewed as a rock-solid RB2 in one of the league's truly elite offenses ahead of a Week 6 date with the Eagles.

Oct 10, 2021, 4:17 PM ET

Leonard Fournette rushed 22 times for 81 yards and two touchdowns in the Bucs' Week 6 win over the Eagles, adding six receptions for 46 additional yards. 

Both the carries and receptions were new season highs, while the two-score effort was his first of 2021. The totes were his most ever as a Buc, with the catches tying last year's high-water mark. Fournette both served as a battering ram and open-field tackle breaker. He hasn't made many mistakes in recent weeks as he has seized control of the Bucs' backfield away from Ronald Jones on early downs and made it difficult for Giovani Bernard to emerge in passing situations. He is a high-end RB2 who could flirt with RB1 value if this usage keeps up. This is the running back performance the Bucs so desperately wanted in 2020. The Bears are on deck for Week 7. 

Oct 14, 2021, 11:55 PM ET

Wondering if we might be seeing the reemergence of Fournette as a true RB1. Seems to have really earned the trust of Brady and Arians. Felt like the last half-yard TD may have been given as a reward after almost getting in on the previous play, as Brady can pretty much sneak those in at will.

Leonard Fournette rushed 10 times for 35 yards in the Bucs' Week 11 win over the Giants, adding six catches for 39 yards on six targets.

Fournette looked primed for a big game, but the Bucs got a comfortable lead and gave Ronald Jones more playing time to keep Fournette fresh. Fournette had a big gain on a screen called back on a highly questionable illegal formation penalty against Mike Evans. Jones also vultured a six-yard touchdown in the second quarter on the lone drive the coaches gave Fournette a break. Lenny has 14 catches over the last two weeks and is on pace for 75 grabs this season after catching 36 a year ago. Fournette is an every-week RB2 with upside and will get a date with the Colts next Sunday.

Nov 22, 2021, 11:36 PM ET

Sell Mortimer, sell!!!

In dynasty I would be selling him if I could.  He's obviously a hold for contending teams, so ride him until the wheels fall off.

Sell Mortimer, sell!!!

In dynasty I would be selling him if I could.  He's obviously a hold for contending teams, so ride him until the wheels fall off.

Is Jones a worthwhile handcuff add at this stage of the season? For a non-Fournette owner? 

Is Jones a worthwhile handcuff add at this stage of the season? For a non-Fournette owner? 
Jones looks like the more explosive back regardless. Fournette plays because he’s been more reliable in the passing game. 

Fournette has been durable, but if he went out Jones would get the early down snaps. Bernard would take 3rd down and passing situations. 

Price check on aisle 7.

Any recent trades? I have him in a team I took over this year and it's a rebuild. His insane scores run the risk of moving me up the standings. ;)

Price check on aisle 7.

Any recent trades? I have him in a team I took over this year and it's a rebuild. His insane scores run the risk of moving me up the standings. ;)
I'm a contender that needed a Henry replacement and paid a late 1st.  This was prior to his blow up, so I'd guess you may shoot a little higher now.

I'm a contender that needed a Henry replacement and paid a late 1st.  This was prior to his blow up, so I'd guess you may shoot a little higher now.
I wouldn't advise giving a 1st for LF in dynasty leagues, so I sure wouldn't advise giving a higher 1st.  I would just let the LF owner ride him until the wheels fall off.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread