What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The Official Kicker (K) Thread (2 Viewers)

2 ppg is pretty substantial. Amari Cooper's disappointing 2017 was 2.9 ppg below his 2016, and about 2 ppg behind guys like Mike Evans & Demaryius Thomas in 2017. Adam Thielen's breakout 2017 was 2.9 ppg above his 2016, and about 2 ppg ahead of Evans & Demaryius. Marvin Jones's breakout 2017 was 2.6 ppg above his 2016; he ended up about 2 ppg behind Michael Thomas & Tyreek Hill and about 2 ppg ahead of Devin Funchess & Nelson Agholor.

Gostkowski has been a top 2 PK in 5 of the past 6 seasons and is a pretty safe bet to get you about 2 ppg against the field. Whereas the WRs & RBs that you can get in round 10+ are more like dart throws.

2 ppg is pretty substantial. Amari Cooper's disappointing 2017 was 2.9 ppg below his 2016, and about 2 ppg behind guys like Mike Evans & Demaryius Thomas in 2017. Adam Thielen's breakout 2017 was 2.9 ppg above his 2016, and about 2 ppg ahead of Evans & Demaryius. Marvin Jones's breakout 2017 was 2.6 ppg above his 2016; he ended up about 2 ppg behind Michael Thomas & Tyreek Hill and about 2 ppg ahead of Devin Funchess & Nelson Agholor.

Gostkowski has been a top 2 PK in 5 of the past 6 seasons and is a pretty safe bet to get you about 2 ppg against the field. Whereas the WRs & RBs that you can get in round 10+ are more like dart throws.
While that may be true, you seem to have missed where I said that it’s virtually impossible to predict year to year. 

Further, by taking a kicker before the last round, what are you not taking?

was it a handcufff to a starting RB? A sleeper Wr or upside TE? 

How much does that cost you per game? 

Besides the fact that you’re being a bit too literal - it’s not “2 PPG”, as kickers have wild swings on a per game basis. Some games it’s 5 PATs & you’ll lose by 2. I was speaking to the average.  Some games it’s 5 FG’s. And terrible K have 5 FG games too.   :shrug:

As long as I live I’ll never understand reaching for a kicker. 

Each to their own though.   :shrug:

Ps - as for Gotskowski, what’d he do that 6th season? 5/6 = ~83%. And that’s no guarantee he does it this season. He might pull a hammy on his 1st kick. 

Last edited by a moderator:
In Lutz we trust.

I often don't draft a K and pick one up on Monday before the first games. This year I got sniped on some WRs I wanted (Golladay & Ridley) in round 13 and there he was. Was way early for me but he served me well last year and he always went earlier so I went for it. Kind of an odd move for me but I think in the back of my mind I was remembering how often those lottery ticket/upside picks from late rounds just end up being WW fodder in October.

Still grabbed Dede Westbrook & Geronimo Allison late so there's this years fodder if they don't pan out.

In Lutz we trust.

I often don't draft a K and pick one up on Monday before the first games. This year I got sniped on some WRs I wanted (Golladay & Ridley) in round 13 and there he was. Was way early for me but he served me well last year and he always went earlier so I went for it. Kind of an odd move for me but I think in the back of my mind I was remembering how often those lottery ticket/upside picks from late rounds just end up being WW fodder in October.

Still grabbed Dede Westbrook & Geronimo Allison late so there's this years fodder if they don't pan out.
You took a kicker in doh d 13?

strategy fail. 

I’m sure Lutz will be good. But that’s a terrible pick. 

No offense intended whatsoever, but any kicker before the last round is a terrible pick.

another reason why is because by investing in an “elite” kicker with a higher-than-last-round pick, you’ll be compelled to hold onto I’m during his BYE week.

and that means dropping another player.

if you only gamble on K in the last round you can drop & add during the BYE and likely lose nothing. 

The only time this backfired on my was last year, when I had 4 kickers get hurt over a 7 week stretch, at $5 per add/drop. I’ve never spent $25 on a K spot before & I was displeased to say the least. :angry:  

You took a kicker in doh d 13?

strategy fail. 

I’m sure Lutz will be good. But that’s a terrible pick. 

No offense intended whatsoever, but any kicker before the last round is a terrible pick.

another reason why is because by investing in an “elite” kicker with a higher-than-last-round pick, you’ll be compelled to hold onto I’m during his BYE week.

and that means dropping another player.

if you only gamble on K in the last round you can drop & add during the BYE and likely lose nothing. 

The only time this backfired on my was last year, when I had 4 kickers get hurt over a 7 week stretch, at $5 per add/drop. I’ve never spent $25 on a K spot before & I was displeased to say the least. :angry:  
:lmao:

Do you pull out "I wanna play in your league" often as well? 

So I have 25 years in the game and my fair share of trophies. Perennially top 2 in scoring, playoffs are a crap shoot.

One thing I did this offseason was look at my late round success. As an example, here are the last 5 years 13th round picks:

• Danny Woodhead RB 2013 - very decent flex in full PPR, won championship 
  • Ladarius Green TE 2014 - oops
  • Isaiah Crowell RB 2015 - meh, but won championship
  • Laquon Treadwell WR 2016 - vanished
  • Corey Davis WR 2017 - hurt
Would you like a hint how many points that quintett contributed to my playoff runs? I never finished worse than 4th. Why only think inside the box? Why not try something different?

What did I forego this year, e.g., what were 10 players drafted between 13.07 and 14.06?

DeVante Parker, Spencer Ware, Charles Clay, Allen Hurns, John Brown, Matt Breida, Mohammed Sanu, Jordan Wilkins, Derek Carr, Pittsburgh

I'm comfortable with the decision making process I employed.

:lmao:

Do you pull out "I wanna play in your league" often as well? 

So I have 25 years in the game and my fair share of trophies. Perennially top 2 in scoring, playoffs are a crap shoot.

One thing I did this offseason was look at my late round success. As an example, here are the last 5 years 13th round picks:

• Danny Woodhead RB 2013 - very decent flex in full PPR, won championship 
  • Ladarius Green TE 2014 - oops
  • Isaiah Crowell RB 2015 - meh, but won championship
  • Laquon Treadwell WR 2016 - vanished
  • Corey Davis WR 2017 - hurt
Would you like a hint how many points that quintett contributed to my playoff runs? I never finished worse than 4th. Why only think inside the box? Why not try something different?

What did I forego this year, e.g., what were 10 players drafted between 13.07 and 14.06?

DeVante Parker, Spencer Ware, Charles Clay, Allen Hurns, John Brown, Matt Breida, Mohammed Sanu, Jordan Wilkins, Derek Carr, Pittsburgh

I'm comfortable with the decision making process I employed.
Thanks for your FFB resume.

This is a hill I’m comfortable dying on. Never take a k until the last pick.

the whole reason I do a K contest periodically is to mock the position out of my utter distain for the position. 

Its 0-2 points per game difference week to week, and unpredictably at that. That’s not worth taking anyone over. 

You mentioned Woodhead. You drafted Woodhead assuming health. And assuming health he would have been worthy of that selection. That’s not a viable argument. Players get hurt all the time. You don’t draft them knowing that they’ll get hurt and not contribute. 

However we all draft kickers with a complete grasp of the fact that week to week they will barely contribute.

could a k make the difference any given Sunday with a 20 point game? Of course they could. But it’s not predictable. And they can also make the difference with a 3 point game any given Sunday.

and at the end of the year, the difference  between the best kicker in your league & the worst rostered K in your league will be about ~2 PPG.

it’s a statistical fact, every year. 

My hill. Don’t @ me, bro. 

(Also, can I play in your league?) ;)  

Woodhead was highly productive the year I drafted him (but yeah, he was a lousy pick in other years when he got dinged up.)

As you get older you care less about others opinions. Breaking out of static thinking & trying something different will only make you a better FF owner.

GL to your teams this year.

Woodhead was highly productive the year I drafted him (but yeah, he was a lousy pick in other years when he got dinged up.)

As you get older you care less about others opinions. Breaking out of static thinking & trying something different will only make you a better FF owner.

GL to your teams this year.
Agreed - and to you as well.

i hope you understand that because of my distain for the lowly K, most of this is tongue-in-cheek. 

Literally zero offfense meant or taken. If you want to take a K in the 13th, I genuinely don’t care - it’s your team. Take him in the 10th if you’d like. Almost every 1st year player does that. 

But the numbers don’t lie. 1st to 20th, 2 PPG. 3-4th to 12th, about 1.5 PPG. For the 18 years I’ve been playing this game that’s held true - and very rarely is the top 12 one year the top 12 the next. 

Best of luck. And F kickers. lol

(RotoWire) Fairbairn (undisclosed) has returned to practice, Sarah Barshop of ESPN.com reports. Analysis: The Texans signed Nick Rose to fill in for Fairbairn, but he missed both of his field goals attempts in Saturday's preseason game against the Rams. Assuming no further setbacks, Fairbairn is locked in as the team's kicker after making 20 of 25 tries in 16 games last year, en route to recording 92 points.

There’s so much kicker talk, I thought I’d write a handy, concise guide to drafting kickers. 

Here is the comprehensive process I’ve employed for years. I hope it’s helpful: 

Q: does he have a foot at the end of his leg?

Y/N

if N, pick a different K. :(  

If Y, check BYE week. 

Q: does he have a BYE of week 9 or later? 

Y/N 

if N, pick a different K :(  

if Y, check his environment

Q: Does he play his home games in a dome?

Y/N

if Y, congratulations! you just drafted a good K.   :hifive:

if N, is he on the west coast at least?

If N, pick a different K :(  

if Y, congratulations! you just drafted a good K!  :hifive:
If N/A, enter K contest.  Pick answer out of a hat.  Win a bottle of hot sauce!

Seventh-round rookie Jason Sanders has won the Dolphins' kicker job.

The Dolphins cut UDFA Greg Joseph on Friday, leaving Sanders alone on the depth chart. Sanders always had the big edge since the team used a draft pick on him. Sanders will be kicking for one of the league's worst teams.

Aug 31 - 11:44 AM

What does everyone think of Jake Elliot? i'm looking for a stud dynasty kicker and other team wants a 2nd round pick.  
I like Jake Elliott

that said, this is literally the 1st time I’ve ever seen a K in a trade question. Ever. :o  

i wouldn’t pay a 15th round pick for a K. Elliott is not worth a 2nd round pick. 

Unless a k is gonna come over & make you breakfast, don’t trade for him. 

I like Jake Elliott

that said, this is literally the 1st time I’ve ever seen a K in a trade question. Ever. :o  

i wouldn’t pay a 15th round pick for a K. Elliott is not worth a 2nd round pick. 

Unless a k is gonna come over & make you breakfast, don’t trade for him. 
usually i'd agree, but i have no kicker right now and have a stacked team in dynasty.  My missing piece is a kicker and i've been screwed not having one.  

Mason Crosby (who i gave up a 3rd for last season) was the main reason i didn't win my league.  PHI should be good and put up a lot of points.  We also lose points for missed FG's so having a reliable kicker is big.

usually i'd agree, but i have no kicker right now and have a stacked team in dynasty.  My missing piece is a kicker and i've been screwed not having one.  

Mason Crosby (who i gave up a 3rd for last season) was the main reason i didn't win my league.  PHI should be good and put up a lot of points.  We also lose points for missed FG's so having a reliable kicker is big.
Your kicker is not why you didn’t win your league last year.

c’mon son. That’s silly.

my league has -1 for MFG too. There are *always* kickers on the wire. Last year it was Butker out of nowhere - claimed off the wire for an add drop fee. 

I see no reason to part with a draft pick for a K. What you need to do is watch them like a hawk, and grab whoever is the most reliable with the latest bye. 

Or you can have it both ways - draft a kicker with your last pick, but not in the last round. When I make trades (keeper league, 12 teams, keep 5), I always try to get a mid or mid-late round draft pick thrown in.  Since every team has to have the same # of picks, I have to send my last round pick back to even the deal. Do this a couple times an your last pick is in the third to last round. 

I imagine this is obvious, but it feels more strategic when you're deliberate about having your full roster in place long before the rest of the league.

Actually, you probably lost your league because you traded your 3rd round pick for a kicker.  Having not learned your lesson, you want to double down on that mistake this year?

Jason Myers has won the Jets' kicking job.

Myers is the de facto winner after the Jets waived Taylor Bertolet, though it's always possible they dip back into the free agent well. The Jags' kicker since 2015, Myers was cut midseason last year and could not make the Seahawks this summer. Myers has a big leg but has converted less than 80 percent of his field goal attempts over the past two years.

Source: Rich Cimini on Twitter 

Sep 1 - 12:43 PM

Dan Bailey - K -  Free Agent

Free agent K Dan Bailey will work out for the Jets on Monday.

The Jets were planning to move ahead with Jason Myers as their kicker, but that was before Bailey became available. Bailey is coming off a down year in Dallas but has converted 88.2 percent of his career field goal attempts, good for the second-best success rate in NFL history. Even if the Jets pass on him, Bailey shouldn't be on the market for long.

Related: Jets

Source: Field Yates on Twitter 

Sep 2 - 8:02 PM

I really wanted Justin Tucker but didn't get him in my draft, but ended up with Wil Lutz. According to my league they said Wil Lutz was the 2nd Ranked Kicker but I really have no clue how they came up with that ranking.

Dan Bailey immediately gets call from Jets. 

Works out today, per Rotoworld. 

May I editorialize? I'll post what I posted in the Jets thread. Don't. Let. Him. Leave. The. Building. Please. 

Hey guys! I've never been in a league with kickers being such an important factor...I just joined my work league and they have some crazy scoring for Kickers

With PAT made giving 4points and 40s and 50s yarders giving 6 and 10pts that could really swing the score easily.

With that said....which kickers should I target and how early should I jump on the kicker?

12 Team - PPR

PAT Made:                4 points
PAT Missed:              -2 points

FG Made 0-19:          3 points

FG Made 20-29:        4 points

FG Made 30-39:         5 points

FG Made 40-49:          6 points

FG Made 50+:             10 points

FG Missed 0-19:          -1 point

FG Missed 20-29:         -1 point

FG Missed 30-39:-         1 point

FG Missed 40-49:          -1 point

FG Missed 50+:             -2 points

Hey guys! I've never been in a league with kickers being such an important factor...I just joined my work league and they have some crazy scoring for Kickers

With PAT made giving 4points and 40s and 50s yarders giving 6 and 10pts that could really swing the score easily.

With that said....which kickers should I target and how early should I jump on the kicker?

12 Team - PPR

Draft Dominator will let you input that scoring

Let’s get this season started in style! 

The unofficial, official, unofficial inaugural  kicker contest! 

Easy to win.   :hifive:

Even easier to lose!  :pickle:

All ya gotta do is pick the K who scores the more points this week, and guess the distance of his longest FG.

that’s the tiebreaker.

1. # of Points 

2. FG distance

the closest to #1, then #2 wins two bottles of their choice of award-winning hot sauce. 

get those guesses in!

:popcorn:

Rules:

k scoring = NFL scoring. FG = 3, PAT = 1. 

Fake FG, or botched snap, if K passes, rushes or receives a TD, he gets 6.

fake/botched PAT results in 2, if K is directly responsible for the 2, he gets 2.

All entries MUST be put in 15 mins before the morning games on Sunday. IF you want a K from the Thursday night game, get that pick in 15 mins before kickoff. 

USA shipping only. I can only be so generous. 

;)  

NO EDITING OF POSTS! If you want to change your guess, that’s fine - delete your post & post a new one. Any edited post is an automatic DQ.

Anyone on my ignore list (only like 8 users, every one of them knows who they are) is automatically DQ’d. Sorry, shoulda been nicer when ya had the chance. That’s how life is sometimes.  :yes:  

GO!

let’s see that K love!  :wub:

P

12 Team - PPR

Still irrelevant because every kicker makes and misses kicks, and especially the longer ones.

whoever set up your kicking is a jerk though. Penalizing kickers more for missing longer kicks is, no offense, dumb.

shorter kicks should be penalized. In the league I commission, only 30 yard or less gets -1, and MPAT -1.

So in your format it really should be miss 30+ for -3

40+ for -2

50+ -1

I don’t see how it makes sense to penalize them more for missing harder kicks. 

Anyway, it’s irrelevant. Draft your best team. Take a K in the very last round. Get one with the latest BYE that kicks in a dome or on the WC. 

Let the other teams reach for kickers as though the rule effects only them, and not the entire league. 

Even the best K is gonna miss his share of 50+. It’s just how it is.

this adds zero importance to K in my opinion, and concerning yourself with it will only serve as a draft day distraction. 

Let’s get this season started in style! 

The unofficial, official, unofficial inaugural  kicker contest! 

Easy to win.   :hifive:

Even easier to lose!  :pickle:

All ya gotta do is pick the K who scores the more points this week, and guess the distance of his longest FG.

that’s the tiebreaker.

1. # of Points 

2. FG distance

the closest to #1, then #2 wins two bottles of their choice of award-winning hot sauce. 

get those guesses in!

:popcorn:

Rules:

k scoring = NFL scoring. FG = 3, PAT = 1. 

Fake FG, or botched snap, if K passes, rushes or receives a TD, he gets 6.

fake/botched PAT results in 2, if K is directly responsible for the 2, he gets 2.

All entries MUST be put in 15 mins before the morning games on Sunday. IF you want a K from the Thursday night game, get that pick in 15 mins before kickoff. 

USA shipping only. I can only be so generous. 

;)  

NO EDITING OF POSTS! If you want to change your guess, that’s fine - delete your post & post a new one. Any edited post is an automatic DQ.

Anyone on my ignore list (only like 8 users, every one of them knows who they are) is automatically DQ’d. Sorry, shoulda been nicer when ya had the chance. That’s how life is sometimes.  :yes:  

GO!

let’s see that K love!  :wub:
Bump! 

2 days to get a K guessed for the TNF.

you have until Sunday 9:45 AM PT to guess any other game. 

It's been now a full day since Dan Bailey worked out for the Jets and I haven't heard word one about a contract. What, exactly, do the Jets want in a kicker?

Dan Bailey has to be an upgrade for at least 10 teams and some of them should want to win at the cost of a couple $M  :unsure:
He's set to make 3.4 million dollars this year. I'd think he could actually play it off of the teams and get about 4 cool walking out of a kicker-desperate place with a cool half million. 

He's set to make 3.4 million dollars this year. I'd think he could actually play it off of the teams and get about 4 cool walking out of a kicker-desperate place with a cool half million. 
The fact that he's set to make $3.4M this year is probably why he is no longer kicking for the Dallas Cowboys ( who have the second highest dead cap hit in the league).  There are 15 NFL teams that spend $4.0M or less on kicker/punter/long snapper combined.  It's a relatively big investment for a position that generally doesn't even warrant the expenditure of a late round draft pick (Buccaneers excepted)

The fact that he's set to make $3.4M this year is probably why he is no longer kicking for the Dallas Cowboys ( who have the second highest dead cap hit in the league).  There are 15 NFL teams that spend $4.0M or less on kicker/punter/long snapper combined.  It's a relatively big investment for a position that generally doesn't even warrant the expenditure of a late round draft pick (Buccaneers excepted)
Yes, every good article I read said something to that effect. I'm not that steeped in football metrics, but how much is a win worth? What's a win share worth? What's a kicker worth, all other things help constant? 

The Jets have tons of cap room. Keeping his salary at 3.4 is easily doable. The raise was a cheeky little joke of something the Jets would do. They were paying out 3 million for Nick Folk's a few years ago, so why not now, with a good one and cap room? 

Yes, every good article I read said something to that effect. I'm not that steeped in football metrics, but how much is a win worth? What's a win share worth? What's a kicker worth, all other things help constant? 

The Jets have tons of cap room. Keeping his salary at 3.4 is easily doable. The raise was a cheeky little joke of something the Jets would do. They were paying out 3 million for Nick Folk's a few years ago, so why not now, with a good one and cap room? 
Got it.  Jets have $20M in cap space in 2018, and are paying Myers $700, none guaranteed. So they obviously would be a good candidate for Bailey's services.  But Bailey would obviously prefer a multi-year contract, because he's a "name" kicker and can command more than a one year deal.  That's where it becomes problematic for the teams, as they are encumbering money in out years on a specialist that could go to extending current players or signing free agents for positions of need

Got it.  Jets have $20M in cap space in 2018, and are paying Myers $700, none guaranteed. So they obviously would be a good candidate for Bailey's services.  But Bailey would obviously prefer a multi-year contract, because he's a "name" kicker and can command more than a one year deal.  That's where it becomes problematic for the teams, as they are encumbering money in out years on a specialist that could go to extending current players or signing free agents for positions of need
This is pretty much exactly it, and time's ticking on that first game paycheck for Bailey and the Jets. Both sides need this resolved.  I'm stunned Bailey isn't immediately in another camp right now, which means a deal may indeed likely be in place, as has been reported by the NY CBS affiliate. 

Users who are viewing this thread