What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Raheem Mostert, MIA (1 Viewer)

That was one of the most gruesome injuries that I have witnessed... and it seemed such a weird way to get it, too.  Just bracing from a fall.  Poor guy.
It was horrifying.  I'm surprised his bone didn't bust right through his skin.  I'm so scared to ever fall like that now.

49ers RB Raheem Mostert required a "re-do" of the operation to his broken arm.

The new operation has apparently added a month to Mostert's recovery from an injury he initially suffered early last November. Mostert just signed a new three-year deal in March, but this complicates his chances of earning work, or even making the team, in the 49ers' log-jammed backfield.

SOURCE: Matt Maiocco on Twitter

May 21, 2019, 4:39 PM ET

He looked really great last year and I felt bad for him that he got hurt, but he's a cut right now if there's anyone available on the WW. 

Do we think Mostert is simply a one-week flex option, or would he hold value through the season?
Picked him up last night in my main short bench league and felt good about it.  Dropped him this morning for TY Montgomery on the news for Bell’s MRI.  I like RM’s breakout potential and upside for sure, but right now he holds only low end flex appeal for the next 2-4 weeks.   

Last edited by a moderator:
Do we think Mostert is simply a one-week flex option, or would he hold value through the season?
I would hold and stash given Breida's own injury history. That said, keep on eye on Jeff Wilson, too, in case Breida/Mostert gets hurt or struggles - Wilson also did well when called upon last year.

The key is how long Coleman will be out.

Picked him up last night in my main short bench league and felt good about it.  Dropped him his morning for TY Montgomery on the news for Bell’s MRI.  I like RM’s breakout potential and upside for sure, but right now he holds only low end flex appeal for the next 2-4 weeks.   
Did the same

Raheem Mostert rushed 13 times for 83 yards and caught 3-of-4 passes for 68 yards and a touchdown in Week 2 against the Bengals.

Mostert had an expanded role with Tevin Coleman sidelined. He led the backfield in carries, but Matt Breida started and was the feature back before Mostert took over late in the blowout win. Mostert was still involved early, with his touchdown coming on a 39-yard screen in the first quarter. The 49ers look committed to a timeshare between Breida, Mostert, and Jeff Wilson. Mostert is a FLEX play for Week 3 against the Steelers.

Sep 15, 2019, 4:39 PM ET

📽️  Mostert had more than one run like this during which he turned a seeming disaster into something positive

David Lombardi‏Verified account @LombardiHimself

This won't show up in the box score, and the 49ers fumbled it away a few plays later, but Raheem Mostert had more than one run like this during which he turned a seeming disaster into something positive. Given injuries, Mostert is about to get a lot of run, IMO.

10:53 AM - 9 Sep 2019

------------------------------------

Michael Fabiano‏Verified account @Michael_Fabiano Sep 9

Time to add Raheem Mostert.

Ian RapoportVerified account @RapSheet

#49ers RB Tevin Coleman suffered an ankle sprain in yesterday’s win over the #Bucs, source said, an injury that is expected to force him to miss time. He’s having tests today (in Youngstown, OH, where the team is staying) to determine the nature of the sprain.

-----------------------------------------------

🚑

I'm happy for this guy. I saw him a fair amount the last few preseasons and always came away thinking man he looks good and he always seemed to just make or miss that final cut. Last year he got some playing time and had the injury. He is fun to watch.

So Breida had a great game as well, with a few more carries and being more productive with them.

That's no slight to Mostert, who ran really well too and had a great passing game.

Do we think this is going to be a relatively 60/40 split between Breida and Mostert? Did the garbage time help pump Mostert's carries up?

Have to think the team still involves Mostert, but also think his usage goes down (80/20? 75/25?) in a more regular gamescript.

I am hoping to leverage Mostert as a flex until Coleman comes back, and the guy has the goods to deliver. Just still wary about what his usage will be next week.

Thoughts?

So Breida had a great game as well, with a few more carries and being more productive with them.

That's no slight to Mostert, who ran really well too and had a great passing game.

Do we think this is going to be a relatively 60/40 split between Breida and Mostert? Did the garbage time help pump Mostert's carries up?

Have to think the team still involves Mostert, but also think his usage goes down (80/20? 75/25?) in a more regular gamescript.

I am hoping to leverage Mostert as a flex until Coleman comes back, and the guy has the goods to deliver. Just still wary about what his usage will be next week.

Thoughts?
I have both and can't bring myself to start either of them. No idea how things shake out in a closer game.

I have both and can't bring myself to start either of them. No idea how things shake out in a closer game.
I don't envy that position. Who are you starting instead? Breida seems like a safer bet of the two, but if you didn't have any other choices, that's truly a caught between Scylla and Charybdis situation.

49ers RB Raheem Mostert (knee) is expected to be active for Thursday's game against the Cardinals.

As is Matt Breida (ankle), meaning the 49ers' backfield will be at full strength, if not necessarily full health. There is greater distance between Tevin Coleman and Breida than usual this week, while Mostert can't be taken seriously as a FLEX option. If Jeff Wilson gets run, it figures to mostly be after one of his three backfield mates tweaks an injury.

SOURCE: Matt Maiocco on Twitter

Oct 31, 2019, 2:44 PM ET

Raheem Mostert (knee) is active for Week 11 against the Cardinals.

He'll slide into Matt Breida's role as the 1B to Tevin Coleman with Breida sidelined by an ankle injury. Mostert is a worthy RB3/FLEX play with the Niners as heavy home favorites.

Nov 17, 2019, 2:48 PM ET

Raheem Mostert rushed six times for 45 yards and a touchdown in Week 12 against the Packers.

Mostert had an expanded role with Matt Breida missing another week. He was a non-factor in the first half before getting fed touches in mop-up duty. Mostert's touchdown came on a run up the middle where he broke multiple tackles late in the fourth quarter. He continued to play ahead of Jeff Wilson, who finished with two carries. With Breida getting close to a return, Mostert has fleeting standalone value and is just a low-end handcuff.

Nov 24, 2019, 11:38 PM ET

Raheem Mostert rushed 19 times for 146 yards and a touchdown in the 49ers' Week 13 loss to the Ravens.

Tevin Coleman received the "start," but Mostert quickly Wally Pipp'd him, taking over as the leader of the 49ers' Matt Breida-less backfield. Coleman finished the rain-soaked day with a pathetic 5/6/0 rushing line. Mostert, meanwhile, is now up to 5.85 yards per carry, and has consistently shown greater chunk-play ability than Coleman this season. Breida is the wild card. The tea leaves suggest he should finally return from his ankle injury in Week 14. If he doesn't, Mostert will have RB2 appeal vs. the Saints' tough run defense. If Breida does suit up, Mostert will be an uncertain FLEX.

Anything to see here? I sat Mostert on a deep bench thinking him a RB4-5 type while Breida is out and assuming he gets Coleman leftovers. Based on the division of work in a key game, should I be thinking of him as a flex start as long as Breida is out? 

Mostert has been on/off/on/off/on/off my squad all year - you guessed it, he's off my squad right now when he blew up in a game  :lol:  

He has talent and I would trust him if he were the last man standing, but there are too many RB options on SF that any one of them could be the man on a give week (see Coleman smashing for 4 TDs earlier this year).  I'll probably add him again (unless someone does it first) because that's how it goes between me and Raheem, but I probably would never start him unless 2 of the other 3 RBs are injured and that still is no guarantee.

They won't change the hot hand approach.  They always have 3 active RBs.  Breida is back so week 14 it will be Breida/Coleman/Mostert.  Good luck figuring out which one will get the hot hand.

I own Coleman and honestly, I'm not sure I'm going to bother with Mostert (who has already been on my roster). 

In fact, I'm actually considering bailing on this entire situation and dropping Coleman.

And with Breida back and Mostert just busting out, that's exactly when Coleman goes nuts again.

Raheem Mostert rushed 10 times for 69 yards and one touchdown in the 49ers' Week 14 win over the Saints, adding two catches for 40 yards and a second touchdown on two targets.

Even with Matt Breida back in the lineup and Tevin Coleman still healthy, it was Mostert who paced the Niners backfield with his 12 touches to Breida's seven and Coleman's three. Coleman barely played after being benched last week. Mostert is just so much more explosive with fresher legs and has deserved this shot atop the depth chart. Mostert is a weekly RB1/2 in the NFC's run-happiest offense ahead of a dreamy Week 15 home date against the Falcons.

I think this is 2019 version of Damien Williams. 

27 year old breakout coming on strong at the end of the year... We all think he's a one week hero, but he keeps proving us wrong...  Going strong into the playoffs now... One more big week and he will have had as many as Williams did last year.

If he continues during the NFL playoffs he should have a value rise very similar to Damien last year.   It should follow that same arc... 

I vowed not to miss this year's Williams, but I missed Mostert for the same reason I missed Williams.  I didn't believe it, and I was too late. 

27 year old breakout coming on strong at the end of the year... We all think he's a one week hero, but he keeps proving us wrong...  Going strong into the playoffs now... One more big week and he will have had as many as Williams did last year.

If he continues during the NFL playoffs he should have a value rise very similar to Damien last year.   It should follow that same arc... 

I vowed not to miss this year's Williams, but I missed Mostert for the same reason I missed Williams.  I didn't believe it, and I was too late. 
Yep.

I had picked him up in a couple leagues but only because they have deep rosters, and desperation. 

Unlike Williams though, Mostert has decent competition for carries with Coleman and Breida. 

May end up a guy worth watching. I've never personally been blown away by Buck Allen. Forest clearly has a vice grip on that job now, but has been banged up previously this year.

Mostert is a SPARQ freak who dominated preseason in Philly, then was on Miami's practice squad, called up, and cut. The Ravens claimed him off waivers. We all know the sterling success the Philbin administration had in talent evaluation. Mostert is an uber long shot, but there's some real athletic talent that a coach like Trestman could really take advantage of.

With the release of Terrance McGee, Mostert should be active tonight. Let's see what happens.
:thumbup:  

Coleman is averaging 3.7 ypc this year.  It should be impossible to be that bad in SF's offense.  And it's badly skewed because of his one game against Carolina who made the Washington RBs and broken D. Freeman look great.

Wouldn't beat yourself up too badly -- I picked up Mostert after his week 1 effort of getting 40 yards off of 9 carries when Coleman got dinged, and benefited from his monster WK 2 game  and his solid yardage in WK 3 -- he clearly looked good but had to drop him given SF's bye and to cover injuries elsewhere on my squad.

At that point, Coleman and Breida were getting healthier and were the no-brainer 1-2 punch relegating Mostert to the back seat. Except for Week 8 vs CAR, Mostert really had no impact or carries, so was fairly obvious he wasn't getting his shot.  

Mostert flashed but I think you could be forgiven if you didn't snag him before week 11. It was a really crowded backfield and no real guarantee that he would be back unless injury struck.

I was looking for him in waivers into WK 12 but he was snagged by a guy with better priority. If you mean you waited past that point, than yes, you can kick yourself for missing him based on early signals and a great WK 12 when given a role. 

I am giving serious thought to benching Miles Sanders or Linsday to start him this weekend. He has looked fantastic the last 2 weeks especially. Am I nuts? 

I agree with you on Mostert being this year's D-Will. As the new lead dog in that offense, Mostert may be a league-winner for a lot of championship teams.     .    

Don't feel bad about missing out; it happens.   

49ers coach Kyle Shanahan said Raheem Mostert has "earned" his role as the team's top ball-carrier with his recent production.

San Francisco had been employing a committee until recently with Mostert separating himself from the Niners' backfield pack with four touchdowns over his last three games. "Raheem’s earned it over these last few weeks," said Shanahan. "We keep trying to balance it out, but what Raheem has done these last few weeks and has continued to do, we need to give him more opportunities. He’s given us no choice." Mostert's unlikely emergence—since going undrafted out of Purdue he's risen from special teams afterthought to lead rusher on one of the league's best offenses—has been nothing short of remarkable. Matt Breida and Tevin Coleman should still see some level of involvement, but Mostert is clearly in the driver's seat. He'll be an RB2 consideration when the Niners host the Falcons (whose offense Shanahan coordinated before landing his first head-coaching gig) in Week 15.
.... SHANAHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANN!

Not sure what you've been watching - Mostert has 29 carries over the past 2 weeks, Coleman 8 (for a whopping 12 yards).  Mostert is the alpha in the backfield now.  

https://www.sfchronicle.com/49ers/article/49ers-Shanahan-on-Mostert-s-leading-role-14897719.php

Coleman is averaging 3.7 ypc this year.  It should be impossible to be that bad in SF's offense.  And it's badly skewed because of his one game against Carolina who made the Washington RBs and broken D. Freeman look great.
I agree with you and want him to be the lead back next year. I'm just saying he has better competition (despite recent struggle) than Williams did heading into the off season. 

Of course, SF could draft a back, I think they probably should. But RM looks good for now.

-OZ- said:
I agree with you and want him to be the lead back next year. I'm just saying he has better competition (despite recent struggle) than Williams did heading into the off season. 

Of course, SF could draft a back, I think they probably should. But RM looks good for now.
Why in the world do you think SF should draft a RB?  They just locked up a guy averaging >6ypc for 3 years, $8m.  I don't understand why people keep sleeping on this guy.  What more does he need to do?

Why in the world do you think SF should draft a RB?  They just locked up a guy averaging >6ypc for 3 years, $8m.  I don't understand why people keep sleeping on this guy.  What more does he need to do?
The concern isn't with him directly, the concern is that Shanahan won't give him the majority of the snaps this weekend (or any week).

Maybe if he hadn't been on 5 teams in his career, had more than one game with 100 yards rushing, more than 5 games with 10 rushing attempts, had more targets in the passing game (understand they have kittle, and it's not all that common for a RB to get targets with an elite TE on the field although it does happen), had more than 2 games with 40 snaps... It looks like shanny will use him the next few games and his performance throughout the playoffs will be telling.

The 2020 RB class looks loaded. My saying they probably should draft a back is about the quality players that should be available in the middle rounds this year. 

I wonder how much of San Fran's running game and offense is being designed by Mike Shanahan.  He might still be putting in 60 hour workweeks totally focused on watching film and designing plays while his son deals with the mundane daily coaching responsibilities.  Mike might even be handpicking the running backs.

I am deciding between eckler and Mostert for Sunday.  Eckler has been off the charts al season but I have a gut feeling here Mostert goes off again and eckler quiets down vs a stout ninny defense. Thoughts .?

Maybe if he hadn't been on 5 teams in his career, had more than one game with 100 yards rushing, more than 5 games with 10 rushing attempts, had more targets in the passing game (understand they have kittle, and it's not all that common for a RB to get targets with an elite TE on the field although it does happen), had more than 2 games with 40 snaps... It looks like shanny will use him the next few games and his performance throughout the playoffs will be telling.

The 2020 RB class looks loaded. My saying they probably should draft a back is about the quality players that should be available in the middle rounds this year. 
Those are all really terrible arguments.  He is one of those rare players that look like they can break any touch into a TD.

The 49ers aren't going to draft a RB.  

Those are all really terrible arguments.  He is one of those rare players that look like they can break any touch into a TD.

The 49ers aren't going to draft a RB.  
Really? A complete lack of record is a bad argument for having doubts whether a player can continue to play at a high level, as opposed to just having a good patch of games?  It's not like any player ever had a few nice games then disappointed. 

We'll see. 

Really? A complete lack of record is a bad argument for having doubts whether a player can continue to play at a high level, as opposed to just having a good patch of games?  It's not like any player ever had a few nice games then disappointed. 

We'll see. 
143 carries, 905 yards, 6.3ypc.  

And they are going to draft a RB :lmao:

Users who are viewing this thread