What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Concerts thread - FBG's lovin' live music, we're back in action! (4 Viewers)

Saw The Who last night at the Hollywood Bowl. First time and glad I went. Was a fan but not a super fan like a lot of the crowd. Stayed in Daltrey’s wheelhouse (hope I look that good at 75) and his vocals were pretty good, especially the last set where they killed the Quadrophenia songs. Pete was an animal. So glad I got to see him. Tons of energy. Didn’t like their new songs but they’re still trying to create so can’t hate. Makes me want to back and listen to Quadrophenia and other albums and get more educated. 

They had the full LA Philharmonic orchestra on stage for most of the night which was cool but they also stripped it down to just Roger and Pete  

Liam Gallagher opened. Only played 5-6 songs, lot of snarling, finished with Oasis stuff and crowd ate up Wonderwall. 

Ben Folds last night.  I love Ben Folds Five but admit I haven't listened to him much since then, so I really didn't recognize many of the songs.  He's a great entertainer, good dialogue with the audience, and an incredible piano player.  

Savannah Conley opened.  Not bad.

Seeing 12yo floppinhos first jazz show tomorrow. Playing in a small ensemble of HS and young college kids through the New York Jazz Academy. No school of rock this season...so I'm looking forward to seeing this. What I've heard through the rehearsal door when I pick him up is pretty impressive. Where they rehearse and will be performing is this amazing NYC place just off times square that's three floors of rehearsal and performance spaces full of every type of music and musician you could imagine...music oozes out of every corner and crevice of the place. makes me feel like NYC hasn't been entirely lost to the boring and soul-sucking financial bro-monsters

Heading to Orlando now and have a free night. The Chainsmokers aren’t my thing. A group called Jared and the Mill is playing at a club. $12 ticket. Guys out of ASU. Western indie rock. May give them a shot to get out of theme park and chain restaurant hell. Anybody seen em?

For the shoegazers out there, saw Swervedriver last Wednesday. Show was downsized from a 500 seat venue to 150 and don't even think the place was sold out even then. Not much stage presence (not a surprise) but sounded great. Brought my 18 year old who is Mr. Indie and he enjoyed as well. If they are coming by you, worth checking out for $25/ticket.

Seeing North Mississippi All Stars Friday. Have seen once before and was impressed. Luther Dickinson is one bad mutha...

Saw Elvis Costello and the Imposters last night. It was pretty awesome and glad I got to see yet another band I never thought I would get the chance to see.

On another note...not sure if anyone else is seeing the Brian Setzer Orchestra Christmas Rocks show, but just got a notice that he cancelled the show on the 30th here in St. Pete due to severe tinnitus. I’m bummed because it was a great show last year, but recovery is more important and hopefully he bounces back soon.

ETA: Tour cancelled. Ugh

Last edited by a moderator:
I was surprised by how good the Brooks and Dunn/Reba show was.  Huge fan of the former and sort of equated it to Tim McGraw/Faith Hill. Wanted to see more Tim in that show and I originally wanted all Brooks and Dunn.  But Reba was really good.  And the venue is terrific.  Probably best I've been to in Vegas.  We were 10 rows back in the orchestra but it's small.  Intimate theater, no screens needed.
Saw this in December of 2017 and thoroughly enjoyed it and I'm not a country fan at all.

Saw Wilco Saturday night.  Have been wanting to for years.  I was a little concerned going in given how mellow their latest album is, but they did not disappoint.  Crowd stood/danced the entire time, which is a change of pace for the theater I saw them in. 

Saw Wilco Saturday night.  Have been wanting to for years.  I was a little concerned going in given how mellow their latest album is, but they did not disappoint.  Crowd stood/danced the entire time, which is a change of pace for the theater I saw them in. 
Just looked at your setlist, I imagine Side with Seeds was awesome live.

Saw Elvis Costello and the Imposters last night. It was pretty awesome and glad I got to see yet another band I never thought I would get the chance to see.

On another note...not sure if anyone else is seeing the Brian Setzer Orchestra Christmas Rocks show, but just got a notice that he cancelled the show on the 30th here in St. Pete due to severe tinnitus. I’m bummed because it was a great show last year, but recovery is more important and hopefully he bounces back soon.

As a tinnitus sufferer, I'm pretty sure there's no cure for it. So "bouncing back" seems unlikely...but hopefully he figures out a workaround.

I'm going to see The Last Waltz Tour tonight. It is a celebration of the The Bands farewell concert. The lineup consist of Warren Haynes, Jamey Johnson, Lukas Nelson, Don Was, John Medeski, Terence Higgins, Mark Mullins & The Levee Horns featuring the original horn arrangements of Allen Toussaint, Cyril Neville, Dave Malone, and Bob Margolin.

simey said:
I'm going to see The Last Waltz Tour tonight. It is a celebration of the The Bands farewell concert. The lineup consist of Warren Haynes, Jamey Johnson, Lukas Nelson, Don Was, John Medeski, Terence Higgins, Mark Mullins & The Levee Horns featuring the original horn arrangements of Allen Toussaint, Cyril Neville, Dave Malone, and Bob Margolin.
Solid freakin lineup right there 

Just got tickets to see Dead South at The House of Blues Orlando in January.  I love those guys they put on a great show this will be the 2nd time I have seen them really looking forward to it.

rustycolts said:
Just got tickets to see Dead South at The House of Blues Orlando in January.  I love those guys they put on a great show this will be the 2nd time I have seen them really looking forward to it.
Will be here in January, going to try to catch them this time.

Will be here in January, going to try to catch them this time.
I am just hoping the atmosphere is the same at a larger venue. I saw them at a bar in NC and it was great. Walking up to the entrance we were stopped by a car load of good ol boys and gals l guess you could describe them as rednecks.  Real nice folks they offered us white lightning from the back of their trunk.  Right then I knew it was going to be a great time.

saw elvis costello here in NOLA just a few days later, the array of styles the band covers is impressive and they played all the hits. can never complain, did you see him on that solo tour a few years ago with all of the storytelling? 

Saw a Dr. John tribute at Tipitina's Day before Thanksgiving. George Porter Jr (The Meters) was the musical director. started with a set of four solo pianists doing 3 song miniset tributes. then two sets of electric: Wow was the band tight. Included Papa Gros on keys, a three piece horn section with two that toured with Mac (tony dagradi and tracy griffith), john fohl on guitar (toured with mac), porter of course), renaud poche on percussion (toured with mac) and herlin riley (a total badass) on drums (stanton moore also played drums for some of the tunes) and keke chapman and theresa andersson on backup vocals. It was like an old 50/60s R&B revue band tight, even with the instrumental play-in's for the vocalists to open each set. the mix of the horns and backup vox was like the classic motown/allen toussaint records.

The electric sets had different vocalists/lead musicians come through with songs that greatly accentuated their strengths. Some of the highlights:

Jon Cleary: Such a Night, Let's Make a Better World

Johnny Sansone: I been Hoodood, Walk on Guilded Splinters

Deacon John: Going Back to New Orleans

James Andrews: Cold Cold Cold

Big Chief Monk Boudreax: Iko Iko, Shoo Fly Marches On

Ivan Neville: Right Place, Wrong Time (encore)

Man is it good to live in New Orleans if you love live music. Austin may bill itself as the live music capital of the world (and weird - i lived there for 20 years), but New Orleans is way weirder and the true live music capital. Happy to make recs for anyone if you're coming down

saw elvis costello here in NOLA just a few days later, the array of styles the band covers is impressive and they played all the hits. can never complain, did you see him on that solo tour a few years ago with all of the storytelling? 
No. This was the first and only time. I wanted to see him with Blondie, but no dice. 

Saw Bon Iver Tu Dance Come Through last night in Kings Theatre in Brooklyn.  Holy Cow what a powerful performance.  Went in expected a normal concert with some dancers... obviously I wasn't paying attn (I was gifted the tix a couple days ago)   Ended up being the below... I was NOT disappointed.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CL3xv72k_H0

Getting ready to pull the trigger on Motley Crue, Poison, Def Leppard, Joan Jett tickets.

Kicking off the tour in Miami on July 7th. It's going to be hot as balls but we're going. 

:headbang:

That's a good intro to live music for my 15-year old son. It's going to be his first real concert....

Festival in Tucson has Godsmack as the headliner. Tickets go on sale Saturday. I was thinking of going VIP. They have not announced any other bands but they usually get a few quality bands.

* VIP for this is pretty cheap at $100.00 and I heard it comes with ticket, two drinks, two meals, t shirt, up front seating. Sounds like its worth it if that is true.

Saw Lauren Alaina at a small venue in Baltimore.  She sounded fantastic and had an excellent stage presence, very at ease and natural. 

This new country band called Going West opened.  Four person band with Colbie Caillat as a member.  So I'm thinking they'll play Colbie's two popular songs from when she was a solo act so that'll be cool.  Nope, played like 30 seconds of each song in a kind of montage.  Dumb. 

Senor Schmutzig said:
Getting ready to pull the trigger on Motley Crue, Poison, Motley Crue, Joan Jett tickets.

Kicking off the tour in Miami on July 7th. It's going to be hot as balls but we're going. 

:headbang:

That's a good intro to live music for my 15-year old son. It's going to be his first real concert....
You listed Crue twice instead of Def Leppard

prosopis said:
How was it? Not sure if I would be into the whole thing but, I do think they are talented and they have a few catchy songs.
It was fun. I honestly didn’t know the name of a single song they sing. I did recognize one. They put on a nice lively act. The kids really enjoyed it. I enjoyed the atmosphere, and the beer 

Headed tonight to see the Goo Goo Dolls and Rob Thomas at the UMBC events center.  Smaller venue that may hold 5k for concerts so sight lines should be good and we'll be close to the stage. 

:hifive:

Closest they come to St Louis is Chicago.  Thinking about it.  Just saw Def Leppard last year when they did their tour with Journey.  Saw Crue back in the late 80s.
Update ... they added some additional cities to the tour.  St Louis is the 3rd stop.  June 25.  Will likely go.

Headed tonight to see the Goo Goo Dolls and Rob Thomas at the UMBC events center.  Smaller venue that may hold 5k for concerts so sight lines should be good and we'll be close to the stage. 
Excellent show.  The Googs brought tons of energy and Rob Thomas's set list is just hit after hit.  His voice struggled to hit the high notes so he stayed grounded most of the time.

Fun time.

So, just booked tickets to my first show at Red Rocks to see two of my favorite bands.

Mt. Joy opening for Rainbow Kitten Surprise in July. Out of my mind excited.
Nice.  Wife and I just decided to make the trip to see Lord Huron and Joe Russo's Almost Dead on back-to-back nights in June.  We've never been.

Users who are viewing this thread