What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Christian McCaffrey, SF (4 Viewers)

There was a bias for a long time against African American QBs in college and the NFL. The game evolves. Sometimes slowly.

Is McCaffrey the one to break the (white) glass ceiling? Who knows. But if his 40, shuttle times and splits are better than an African American RB (or two) at the combine next year, I can't see a team ignoring that because the color of his skin. Numbers don't lie. Tape doesn't lie. Every team in the NFL only cares about winning. Period.

Its a controversial sliding scale. You got your Andy Daltons, your Peyton Hillis', Dirk Nowitzkis  - and on the other end you got your Jimmy Grahams, Derek Jeters and Blake Griffins.

Its very complex, only slightly less obtuse as QBR.

Last edited by a moderator:
What NFL draft round are we expecting him to go in?
What round do all the whiteys go in? Probably that one.

/s

Depends on Chubb's recovey. That guy was a serious talent, but that was a Marcus Lattimore kind of injury, and he may never come back from it.

McCaffrey broke Barry friggin Sanders' record, and is coming off season where I believe he was robbed of the Heisman. If he has another strong, healthy season (another big if, if you ask me) and tests well at the combine, I won't be surprised to see him go middle second to early third.

Realistically, I think he's the fourth running back off the board, which may mean he goes later than I expect. Hard to say for sure, since I think next year's class will be the best we've seen in awhile, so it'll be interesting to see how the teams value the backs.

Do you think it's a coincidence that in the last thirty years you can count on one hand the number of white RBs who have had seasons worth a damn? Is it a coincidence there are zero white cornerbacks in the league and there hasn't been one since Jason 'toast' Sehorn? 
Ryan Mathews is half White - it's probably the white half of him that's always getting injured and keeping his other half down.

White dudes suck at rb
In general, possibly, but McCaffrey seems to buck this trend, and that statement seems like a massive reduction of the issue at hand. I'd be curious to look at the success rate of white dudes that are already successful, Heisman caliber running backs in college as they transition to the NFL. I imagine the sample size is minimal, but I think that's a more appropriate pool of players to compare him to than just white running backs in general.

Sure, I concede there are very few successful (defined as a starter, or at least a significant portion of a RBBC) white running backs in the NFL, but how many white guys like McCaffrey, with his skill set and accolades, do we really have to compare him to?

He's got another year to play where a lot can happen, but at this point I think his tape speaks for itself. I can only hope there are more a few people like some of y'all in my leagues that write him off just because of his pigmentation.

Woodhead held a couple records in college but he came from a division 2 or 3 school. Mccaffrey, while being 5-6 inches taller than Woodhead, they are still imo very similar backs.

He ofc went undrafted, but that was a different NFL than todays NFL. I don't think he will be one of the first backs off the board but it won't be because he isn't one of the best backs in that class.

I keep coming into this thread hoping for some useful notes about him and all I keep seeing is "he's white, he's going to suck".  Shutup people... He's plenty athletic, big, strong, quick, enough to be a damn good RB in the NFL.  The question is not about his skin color, it's can he show improvement on what he did this past year and keep his stock trending upwards.  If he can then hell we might have 4 RB's go in the 1st round of the NFL draft, if he can't then I still think an NFL team is getting a great RB.  

He's a RB, not a "white RB".  Let him play football.

I posted this in the 2017 Draft Prospects thread but figure this is a better thread for it:

I'm not sure what to make of McCaffrey from watching game clips.  He obviously racks up yards and has very good speed.  What I don't see a lot of is lateral moves and quick juke type ability.  I see a lot of well designed plays that are blocked well and McCaffrey seems to excel at setting up and reading his blocks and hitting the right holes.  He has speed too, but I didn't see much of him stopping on a dime and laterally changing directions like what I see from elite RBs.  I want this kid to be a stud and he's still very young.  If he puts up huge stats again, I guess you kind of have to trust that production.  I'm not a big follower of college ball.  Does Stanford have a great O-line?  Is their offense unique or gimicky?

I would call stanfords offense plain and vanilla to be honest.  But it is a pro style. Kid is just a dominate college player.
Power run, pro style offense, led by a mediocre game managing QB, where opponents can key on McCaffrey because he is almost their entire offense.

The offensive line is generally stout, and they drew up a number of different ways to get him the ball into space (screens, sweeps, dump offs, etc.), but it's the fact that he was able to get so much after getting the ball, even with team's normally stacking the box against him, that was most impressive. I think the way Shaw and Stanford like to run the ball (let the OL and blocking TE open up lanes and then hit that hole hard with a single cut) doesn't allow him to fully demonstrate his lateral quickness, but what you don't see in their normal offense you definitely get glimpses of in the return game.

He's got fantastic hands out of the backfield, and is just very good, at least from what I remember (i.e., I have no stats to back me up), at creating opportunity for himself once the ball was in his hands. It's been awhile since I checked, so things may have changed, but McCaffrey was graded by PFF as a better all around RB than Zeke, Fournette, Cook, etc..

A long season left to play, but there's nothing so far that would indicate he won't be successful at the next level.

Thanks, Moonshine.

I'm definitely excited to see what he does this upcoming season.  The few times I did see some lateral quicks was in the return game.  It's possible he's so good at seeing the field that he doesn't need the lateral cuts as much.  Could his anticipation be that great?

Thanks, Moonshine.

I'm definitely excited to see what he does this upcoming season.  The few times I did see some lateral quicks was in the return game.  It's possible he's so good at seeing the field that he doesn't need the lateral cuts as much.  Could his anticipation be that great?
Possibly. The best players are the ones that make it all look easy and seamless, and that's what he did on a regular basis. It takes a special player to break Barry Sander's record, IMO, but I think it was more the culmination of a number of special circumstances that helped make it happen, including the skill of a very special player in McCaffrey. At the end of the day though, I expect this upcoming season to be tough for a number of different reasons, which could result in a slide in his draft stock:

1. Tough road games at Notre Dame, at Oregon, and at UCLA.
  2. Keller Chryst is my guess on who is going to be the starter at QB. He was a pretty solid recruit coming out of high school, but he's got 9 attempts in his career so far. Hogan was mediocre, but a mediocre game manager is really all McCaffrey needed to be successful, and there's no guarantee that Chryst can even be that.
  3. They'll also lose Joshua Garnett and Kyle Murphy on the OL this year and Cajuste on the outside. While Stanford does pretty well reloading on the OL, these losses aren't pedestrian.
I think he's a special player, but I expect a down year (it's tough to do better than a record breaking season, really). No matter who you are, eventually the hype train derails. Like most years, I think ultimate destination of the top few guys (Fournette, Cook, Chubb if healthy, McCaffrey, Freeman) after the draft will decide what order they get drafted for fantasy purposes.

TL/DR - He's a special player with great vision and a unique skill set, but it could be a very long year for him before next year's NFL draft.

Also, he has pretty much the same body frame as Dalvin Cook (6ft 200 lbs), who no one is currently calling a Danny Woodhead comp.

Possibly. The best players are the ones that make it all look easy and seamless, and that's what he did on a regular basis. It takes a special player to break Barry Sander's record, IMO, but I think it was more the culmination of a number of special circumstances that helped make it happen, including the skill of a very special player in McCaffrey. At the end of the day though, I expect this upcoming season to be tough for a number of different reasons, which could result in a slide in his draft stock:

1. Tough road games at Notre Dame, at Oregon, and at UCLA.
  2. Keller Chryst is my guess on who is going to be the starter at QB. He was a pretty solid recruit coming out of high school, but he's got 9 attempts in his career so far. Hogan was mediocre, but a mediocre game manager is really all McCaffrey needed to be successful, and there's no guarantee that Chryst can even be that.
  3. They'll also lose Joshua Garnett and Kyle Murphy on the OL this year and Cajuste on the outside. While Stanford does pretty well reloading on the OL, these losses aren't pedestrian.
I think he's a special player, but I expect a down year (it's tough to do better than a record breaking season, really). No matter who you are, eventually the hype train derails. Like most years, I think ultimate destination of the top few guys (Fournette, Cook, Chubb if healthy, McCaffrey, Freeman) after the draft will decide what order they get drafted for fantasy purposes.

TL/DR - He's a special player with great vision and a unique skill set, but it could be a very long year for him before next year's NFL draft.
You have accurately captured the issues Stanford faces next season, with QB being the biggest question mark. Common sense says a down year is coming, but maybe the loss of all that talent makes the offense revolve around McCaffery even more. 

I am going to the spring game this weekend and will report back with any worthy impressions.

After re-watching game clips of the other RBs for 2017, I decided to revisit McCaffrey.  This guy IS special.  I've come to the conclusion that he is just so good and he anticipates, creates and hits angles so well, that he makes it look easy.  After watching Fournette, Cook, Chubb, Freeman, it's McCaffrey who stands out the most to me.  In fact if I were to rank those 4 right now, it would be:

Tier 1:

McCaffrey

Chubb

Tier 2:

Fournette

Cook

ESPN's David Lombardi sees Stanford junior RB Christian McCaffrey as the team's most versatile player.
In other breaking news, water is wet. Lombardi called McCaffrey the most versatile player, not just at Stanford, but in the country. Last season, the 6-foot, 197-pounder broke Barry Sanders' NCAA record for total yardage, racking up 3,864 between rushes, receptions and returns. Lombardi is already looking ahead to the coming season and wrote, "Just how much better can McCaffrey be in 2016? That's the big question, considering he did all that damage as a 19-year-old last year." Pro Football Focus ranked him as the best returning player in college football earlier this offseason. Barring injury, he is a legitimate Heisman contender.

Source: ESPN.com

After re-watching game clips of the other RBs for 2017, I decided to revisit McCaffrey.  This guy IS special.  I've come to the conclusion that he is just so good and he anticipates, creates and hits angles so well, that he makes it look easy.  After watching Fournette, Cook, Chubb, Freeman, it's McCaffrey who stands out the most to me.  In fact if I were to rank those 4 right now, it would be:

Tier 1:

McCaffrey

Chubb

Tier 2:

Fournette

Cook
You left off Freeman.  He will be a better pro back than McCaffrey IMO.  Haven't watched enough of Chubb, Fournette, and Cook.

Stanford sports performance director Shannon Turley indicated that junior RB Christian McCaffrey is in better shape now than he was last year.
"[McCaffrey]’s substantially better than he was during his exact training period last year," Turley said, adding that "this guy is at a higher physical level than he was last year." The 6-foot, 197-pounder is coming off a record-breaking 2015 campaign, making Turley's words all the more terrifying for the Pac-12. "You’re talking about a guy who’s leaner, faster, stronger, and more explosive now." McCaffrey crunched the universe with 3,864 total yards last season.

Source: ESPN.com 
May 17 - 9:03 PM

This guy reminds me of Reggie Bush on the field. He's electric. They should call him White Lightning to mess with him.

NFL Media draft analyst Chad Reuter ranks Stanford junior RB Christian McCaffrey as the sixth-best player in college football.

"In many other years, McCaffrey might have run away with the Heisman Trophy after breaking Barry Sanders' single-season all-purpose yardage mark (3,864)," he wrote. "Much like Sanders, McCaffrey's combination of toughness and agility makes you hold your breath every time he gets the ball." The 6-foot, 197-pounder lost out to Alabama RB Derrick Henry in 2015 and will once again battle a gamut of gifted competitors (like LSU RB Leonard Fournette and Clemson QB Deshaun Watson) for the hardware this fall.

Source: NFL.com

CBS Sports draft analyst Rob Rang noted that Stanford junior RB Christian McCaffrey shares a similar skill-set with former USC RB Reggie Bush.

"McCaffrey offers a terrific blend of vision, burst and agility - just like his boyhood idol," Rang wrote. The analyst ranked McCaffrey as his No. 7 underclassman for the 2017 draft, but cushioned that slot with the belief that the 6-foot, 197-pounder is "[a]rguably the most dynamic player on this list." The three-headed running back race between McCaffrey, Dalvin Cook and Leonard Fournette to be the first back off the 2017 board should provide buckets of fun between now and the draft itself. Before we reach that point, all three gentlemen figure to be in conversation for the Heisman.

Source: CBS Sports

Instead of drafting Christian McCaffrey in the 1st, I'd rather take Elijah McGuire in the 3rd.

What's the difference between Christian McCaffrey and Giovani Bernard or Duke Johnson?

reminds me of a slower Travis Jervey 

Could be a steal in Dynasty drafts next season, for my team's sake I hope his "whiteness" hurts his draft stock.

Instead of drafting Christian McCaffrey in the 1st, I'd rather take Elijah McGuire in the 3rd.

What's the difference between Christian McCaffrey and Giovani Bernard or Duke Johnson?
The difference is that McCaffrey holds the NCAA record for most all-purpose yards in a season. 

Users who are viewing this thread