What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***OFFICIAL*** Washington Commanders Thread (12 Viewers)

Allen's responsible. You know, Genius Bruce Allen who talked the Skins into dumping salary cap money into the uncapped year, which resulted in them losing huge amounts of $$ to spend for a couple years. Bruce Allen, the GM who McCloughan supposedly replaced but remained as McCloughan's boss, who's now trying to get rid of McCloughan.

As for Crowder on a fantasy team, if  they lose Jackson and Garcon you might want to trade him to someone who thinks he'll do better next year than this past year. Crowder's quite good and very tough to cover in the slot. But if the outside WR's are average or below he's gonna get much tougher coverage next year, as will Reed. Jackson and Garcon had a good bit to do with freeing up Crowder.
Gotta love how such incompetence is able to keep employment at the highest level of sports. Another fine example showing that every business has losers that do not deserve to be employed yet somehow are able to suck their way to the top and stay there. Pro sports are no different than your average company.

Yeah. Crowder needs a #1 to take the heat off him and allow him to work underneath. Lose Cousins, I lose Crowder.

Last edited by a moderator:
If Cousins did go elsewhere, I think Gruden would be OK with playing McCoy.  I mean, he started him over Cousins just one season prior.

I on the other hand think he'd be nuts.  I'd be on the phone with TB trying to get Glennon for a pick.  He's got a cannon.  He's played good in TB when given the chance, but the team around him when he was a starter was pretty worthless.  And he's only 27 years old - 2 years younger than Cousins.  At least bring him in to compete with McCoy. 

All from Mike Jones:

Chris Bakers' representatives met with the Redskins and had "encouraging" talks and expect to receive an offer on Tuesday, two sources say.
Good bit of interest around league in Garcon and Jackson. Some insiders think both are gone. However, some say WSH still could keep Garcon.
Still, Skins yet to meet w Garcon's camp. Nothing set up... Supposed to talk with Jackson camp, but sense is he'll get much more elsewhere
Skins chances of re-signing either after the negotiation window opens Tuesday drops drastically.

Master Tesfatsion‏Verified account @MasterTes Mar 3

Washington WR John Ross has met with the #Redskins at the #NFLCombine this week. One of the best WRs in what's been considered a deep class.

Don't know. Maybe his agent told him that'll give him more leverage. He could hold out or something I guess.

MikeApf said:
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2696197-jay-gruden-redskins-reportedly-agree-to-2-year-contract-extension

For what it's worth. gruden extended.  I think this means they are signing Cousins as well.
This may be cosmetic. Nothing's been signed. No details provided. And when it's signed it may include no additional guaranteed money. And the agreement was made at a late night eating/drinking place very popular with NFL combine attendees.

It makes it look like the team's not in chaos though, so I guess the optics are good.

Edited to add a description of the place from last year:

In addition to serving as a mass-evaluation extravaganza for 32 franchises, the NFL Scouting Combine is a weeklong circus of speculative schmoozing and spring-break-style socializing, and this year's annual pilgrimage to Naptown was hardly short on inner-sanctum intrigue.

While agents, coaches and team executives conducted technically verboten conversations about impending free agents and theoretical trade targets like San Francisco 49ers quarterback Colin Kaepernick, and alcoholic beverages got passed around bustling downtown Indy establishments and hotel bars like the pigskin in highly ranked QB prospect Jared Goff's final college game, there were moments of tension and contentiousness, too. From the spat during player-interview sessions that resulted in Falcons defensive line coach Bryan Cox shoving a Cardinals scout, to reporter-on-reporter Twitter feuds, to the annual early-morning shouting sessions at Prime 47 (and the annual next-day reparations), animated personalities in a highly competitive mini-universe comingled with passion and purpose.

Last edited by a moderator:
According to Rapoport, the extension was struck late Saturday at Prime 47 steakhouse in Indianapolis, where the NFL Scouting Combine is currently taking place. Saturday was also Gruden's 50th birthday.
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000790230/article/redskins-gruden-agrees-to-2year-contract-extension

The team has yet to announce the new deal
http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/news/redskins-coach-jay-gruden-2-year-contract-extension/1p4smrcmt41d11pgesilwj41ss

It's not on the team website yet.

If we get good news about Scot coming back, and we sign Cousins....and Doctson turns out to be a stud....maybe this team isn't going down the toilet after all!! One can only hope!!  :banned:

Trent Murphy did surprisingly well last year after several disappointing seasons. He seemed faster and stronger and got to the QB more.

Redskins linebacker Trent Murphy is facing a four-game PED suspension

Murphy, 26, had a breakout season in 2016, recording a career-high nine sacks and three forced fumbles in 16 games, as part of a three-man pass rushing rotation for Washington with Ryan Kerrigan and Preston Smith. He had recorded six sacks and three forced fumbles in 31 games during his first two seasons with the Redskins.

Some free agency talk.

You guys think we should go after Mangold?

I'd love to se Kendall Wright take DeSeans role at Hal the cost if DeSean leaves. 

Some free agency talk.

You guys think we should go after Mangold?

I'd love to se Kendall Wright take DeSeans role at Hal the cost if DeSean leaves. 
I like Kendall Wright in a vacuum, he's a nice enough player, but there are durability concerns, I think he's more of a rotational guy rather than a full-time starter, and he's more quick than fast. The closest comp to D-Jax in the current available market appears to be Kenny Stills. It looks like he's going to be expensive, but probably cheaper than Jackson. I'd be all for it, though, as at this point it looks like he's matured into a commodity. I'm not in favor of re-signing D-Jax, primarily because of his age, and his primary attribute: speed. There are bigger, stronger, quicker, better route-runners with better hands out there, but what D-Jax brings to the table is that unique caliber speed. He's getting to that age where time is going to take it's toll, and I don't think we want to be in the middle of his final contract when he begins losing a step, because when that goes, he's not elite at anything else. That unique speed, which causes defenses to play deeper and creates space and widens seams, appears to be critical to our offense, because everyone else seems to need him out there doing his thing to play at their own maximum efficiency. So while it has to be a player that coordinators/d-backs respect enough to lengthen the field for, the role itself, is critical to getting the most out of our existing personnel and the Gruden offense. I think everyone suffers if we don't have a legitimate guy playing the speed-guy role. I hope we kick the tires on every speed guy on the market in the weeks to come, and if we don't want to pay up for Stills, we somehow get lucky enough to find someone better than a Devery Henderson-type.

John Keim's thoughts on free agency. I bolded the parts that jumped out at me for the following reasons: Ziggy Hood stinks. Compton's nice but gets exposed badly in pass coverage. All the (unconfirmed) talk I've heard recently pointed to Garcon being more likely to come back than Jackson.

Baker, Ziggy Hood, Cullen Jenkins and Kedric Golston. They’re not going to retain all of them and there’s a chance only two will remain (Hood and Baker). But even if they keep two, the Redskins will attack this position in the offseason, both in free agency and the draft. There are players who fit what they need: Dontari Poe and Brandon Williams. Calais Campbell is a name to watch, too. Though he’s 30, he has kept himself in top shape and hasn’t missed a game the past two seasons. Bennie Logan and Johnathan Hankins are run-stuffing options, and, therefore, less expensive. They need more depth and versatility up front; their inability to stop the run -- in their base and nickel defenses -- has really hurt.

Linebacker: At the combine, Redskins coach Jay Gruden touched on the need to have athletic linebackers to best defend more spread attacks. They do feel OK about Will Compton and Mason Foster inside, but there’s no doubt if they have a chance to upgrade with a top inside linebacker then they’ll try to do so. Keep in mind: Compton is a restricted free agent, so when they make a tender offer to him, it will reveal more about how they view him and the situation inside. Dont’a Hightower will be a free agent and the best available, but his price tag might surge too high. San Francisco's Gerald Hodges would represent a low-cost option.

Receiver: This could really be a few positions -- safety; interior offensive lineman -- but receiver will be interesting because of what happens with Pierre Garcon and DeSean Jackson. There’s long been a good chance both will depart; the Redskins have shown little urgency in retaining either one. That could change, and perhaps they attempt to keep Jackson. If both test the market, the Redskins will be looking for a veteran wideout. The most prominent name mentioned has been Kenny Britt, coming off a 1,000-yard season. The Redskins do like what they have with their young wideouts, but they will be in the market for another.
This is likely an unpopular opinion but I think Jackson does more for the Skins offense than Garcon does. He expands the area that defenses have to cover; Garcon does not. Garcon's better for the running game but when has Gruden ever wanted to run the ball? And Gruden's back for 2 additional years (not wild about that).

I have not paid any attention to Kenny Britt for awhile now since I assumed he was a memeber of the Knucklehead Forever club. Has he straightened himself out yet? He did have a pretty good year last year.

Mike Jones‏Verified account @MikeJonesWaPo 1h1 hour ago

Redskins had good Indy meeting w DJax camp and while there's some interest, he's definitely expected to have a lot of deep-pocket suitors.
And from PFT:

By all appearances, big money will be flowing in his direction. Per a source with knowledge of the situation, Jackson is expected to agree to terms on Thursday, the first day of free agency.

The candidates include Washington, Tampa Bay, and multiple other teams. The interest is sufficiently strong to permit Jackson’s representatives to declare bidding open when the legal tampering period commences on Tuesday, if that’s what they choose to do. Then, it would be just a matter of playing the waiting game.

Jackson previously has said that he’ll take the best offer. However, don’t discount the quality of the team’s quarterback play. All things equal, the team with the better quarterback will likely get the nod. Which means that the team will the lesser quarterback could need to pony up extra cash to close the deal.

Not sure I said that but it's a good question. I'd guess he thinks Winston is better (as do I) but that he's awful comfortable in Gruden's offense which gets him the ball a lot. So I'd say those 2 things are a wash.
You didn't say it, it was in the quote from PFT.  Pretty close between the two.

The whole thing feels orchestrated.  Allen suddenly shows up in the media.  Scot disappears for whatever reason.  Gruden gets re-signed at the combine when Scot isn't there - as if it couldn't have been done 1 month ago or 1 week from now.  And suddenly Allen has the chance to swoop in and look like a hero signing Cousins.  And if Cousins doesn't live up to the contract, Allen reminds Snyder for the next 5 years that they would have had him cheaper if not for the old GM.  All of it sounds like a scheme from the top down.

The whole thing feels orchestrated.  Allen suddenly shows up in the media.  Scot disappears for whatever reason.  Gruden gets re-signed at the combine when Scot isn't there - as if it couldn't have been done 1 month ago or 1 week from now.  And suddenly Allen has the chance to swoop in and look like a hero signing Cousins.  And if Cousins doesn't live up to the contract, Allen reminds Snyder for the next 5 years that they would have had him cheaper if not for the old GM.  All of it sounds like a scheme from the top down.
agreed.  im seeing reports that Bruce leaked the 3 way trade rumor as well.  SMDH

Who knows what is going on, right?

The one thing the Redskins are DEFINITELY guilty of is not communicating well enough.   They could be guilty of more, but at least they are guilty of that.

I'm often down on the media for their wild speculations but the Redskins open the door to this by not doing well from the PR front.  That dude Tony Wylie or whatever his name is is sub-par in my book.

With that said, the lack of communication can mean one of several things:

1.  There is a chance Scot M is legit off the wagon and struggling once again.  In the wake of this, the Redskins are keeping quiet so as not to out him.  This is the most "kind" interpretation you could come up with I know.

2.There is a chance that Allen is the devil folks say he is and he's just torpedo-ing Scot's career generally because he wants his job.  This is possible, but if Scot were dead man walking, doomed to be fired, why woudn't he just say f it and out Allen, Snyder and the rest of them.  The only reason not to do this would be if Snyder had him sign some sort of gag order to get paid...basically if he was paying for his silence.  Otherwise, why would Scot just take it up the kazoo with no future in Washington and be silent the whole time?  This actually confuses me about this scenario.

The other thing that confuses me about this situation is if Allen wants Scot's job and Snyder is in Allen's pocket, why not just make up and excuse and fire Scot outright?  Why all the subterfuge?  I see what this theory is all about but it's not fully explained to my liking.

3.  Related to 2 above could be something more subtle.  What if Allen and Snyder  generally like Scot's scouting work but just strategically disagree with him about Gruden and Cousins?  Could  it be that Scot legitimately thinks that Cousins isn't worth the cap space and Gruden is sub-par and is ok going through a long, patient rebuilding phase, but Allen and Snyder  feel that  Cousins and Gruden are "good enough" to make a run now?  Remember, "how do you like me now" appeared to be directed at Scot.  In this scenario, Allen would just be getting Scot out of the way long enough to reel in Cousins and Gruden, then would return to Scot.  This is possible because Allen is saying, he's away for personal reasons but he'll be back soon.  He's not saying that Scot is gone, gone. 

None of these explanations are really satisfying to me, actually.  I don't really believe things are as conspiratorial as the media says but also don't think there as "routine" as what Allen says. 

Someone is gonna write a heck of a expose book when this is all over with.

I just hope it's not Chris Cooley.  :P

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/redskins/jay-gruden-earned-hard-to-get-security-with-the-redskins-but-also-a-new-burden/2017/03/05/6518acf2-01df-11e7-ad5b-d22680e18d10_story.html?utm_term=.f2ecbbfdcc0b

I thought this article described Gruden pretty well. I didn't think it was a great pick at the time and there are times where he really comes off as a doofus, but this description made sense to me and I'm starting to appreciate him. 

I'm not sure I agree this extension means substantially more pressure for Jay though - it feels more like Bruce Allen saying "LOOK OVER HERE!!" to distract everyone from the current mess.  

Whatever happens, Gruden will be the one in charge of making the decisions look better. He’s good at that. He’s the boyfriend who has managed to create a good relationship with a partner whom everyone told him not to date. Too crazy, people said. But Gruden fosters sanity in a special way. He doesn’t take himself too seriously. He’s loyal, but he’s not deferential; remember how he stood up and convinced Allen and Snyder that the Robert Griffin III reclamation project needed to end in favor of Cousins. And when he doesn’t get what he wants, Gruden has the creativity to work around the disappointment, refraining from moping, holding grudges and complaining to the media.

So far, Gruden has been the rare coach who can accept Washington for it what is and make the best of it. But can he continue to do so? This extension only puts him deeper into the chaotic system. Is there really a way to work around possibly losing McCloughan and Cousins during the “Win Now” portion of this rebuilding?

As Gruden celebrates the security of an extension, he must prepare for what comes attached: burden. A big and inescapable burden.

What if Allen and Snyder  generally like Scot's scouting work but just strategically disagree with him about Gruden and Cousins?  Could  it be that Scot legitimately thinks that Cousins isn't worth the cap space and Gruden is sub-par and is ok going through a long, patient rebuilding phase, but Allen and Snyder  feel that  Cousins and Gruden are "good enough" to make a run now?
If that's what's happening we've certainly seen that "we're good enough to win now" movie before. Hi Vinnie.

I have not paid any attention to Kenny Britt for awhile now since I assumed he was a memeber of the Knucklehead Forever club. Has he straightened himself out yet? He did have a pretty good year last year.
PFT kind of answered.

Per a source with knowledge of the situation, Rams receiver Kenny Britt has several interested suitors. The Eagles, Washington, 49ers, and Seahawks are believed to be in the mix. At least one more team has currently emerged (not the Patriots, despite the Rutgers connection), and more could eventually join the fray.

The question becomes whether a team views him as a No. 1 or a No. 2 receiver. That dynamic will drive the value of the deal, with a No. 2 contract in the range of $6 million to $8 million per year and a No. 1 contract potentially reaching $10 million.

Britt, who had a string of off-field incidents early in his career, has been a model citizen in recent seasons — and he’s still only 28. He quietly generated a career-high 68 catches and his first 1,000-yard season in 2016 while playing for one of the worst offenses in football.

John Keim‏Verified account @john_keim 5h5 hours ago

Yes, the Redskin remain in contact with DeSean Jackson. Has some strong suitors. Tampa? Have heard them for a while. But definitely others 2
John Keim‏Verified account @john_keim 5h5 hours ago

The Redskins have (finally) reached out 2 Pierre Garcon's reps w/in the last day. Remains to be seen if anything gets completed.many suitors

From Mike Jones, an article written before the Skins contacted Garcon. Here comes the fast-paced drama.

Free agency’s negotiation, or “legal tampering,” window opens at noon on Tuesday, and then signings can begin at 4 p.m. ET Thursday. That means between now and Tuesday afternoon, Redskins officials will make a late push to re-sign any of their own players with expiring contracts, and they’ll start making overtures to outside free agents. Washington’s four most-prominent free agents are wide receivers Pierre Garcon and DeSean Jackson, defensive end Chris Baker and tight end Vernon Davis. Team officials met with the agents of Baker and Jackson on Friday and Saturday in Indianapolis, respectively, and they reached out to Jackson’s agent by phone on Monday. Baker’s camp expected an offer on Tuesday, but it remains to be seen if that offer jives with the type of payday the defensive end has in mind.
People familiar with Washington’s plans expect the team to place a high priority on upgrading their defense both in free agency and the draft. Along the defensive line, Terrell McClain, Bennie Logan, Johnathan Hankins and Calais Campbell rank among a handful of potential targets for Washington. While the Redskins plan to go young at wide receiver, leaning heavily on holdovers Jamison Crowder, Josh Doctson, Ryan Grant and Maurice Harris, it’s still likely the team will try to add at least one veteran. Kenny Britt, Kenny Stills and Andre Holmes have been linked to the Redskins as of late.
Gruden has been a fan of Cousins, and people who have spoken with him privately say the coach firmly believes that Cousins gives him the best chance to win, especially as he geared up for what was a pressure-packed year: needing to win and contend for the playoffs again despite losing his offensive coordinator and possibly both veteran wide receivers this offseason. But now, although Gruden still badly wants and feels the need to win, the pressure has eased a bit. Now that he has been giving more time, league insiders wonder if Gruden will be less-desperate for the team to meet Cousins’s demands.

Two different sources said such a shift in mindset could open the door for Washington to go the more affordable route: pursue a trade for Cousins and then draft a quarterback and develop him while using Colt McCoy as a bridge this season.

Well aware of the importance McCloughan places on the combine, many people around the league — scouts, coaches, agents — believe there’s more to this story.

Those sentiments stem from the knowledge of frictions between team president Bruce Allen and McCloughan for some time now. Allen overruled McCloughan on some personnel matters, and has not taken his advice on others. Allen hasn’t allowed McCloughan to speak to the media since last spring, and most recently nixed the GM’s usual state of the team address at the Senior Bowl in January. Meanwhile, team radio station talk show host Chris Cooley raised the question that Allen’s handling of McCloughan had to do with a recurring drinking problem. Allen declined a chance to squash that rumor when asked about it last week. He provided no further insight into McCloughan’s absence, but he did say that McCloughan will return to the team as soon as his family matters are resolved.

But those same people referencing those additional factors at play find a McCloughan return unlikely. They suspect that eventually — and very likely after the draft — the two sides could part ways.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/football-insider/wp/2017/03/06/jay-gruden-signed-and-combine-ended-the-redskins-face-free-agency-questions

But those same people referencing those additional factors at play find a McCloughan return unlikely. They suspect that eventually — and very likely after the draft — the two sides could part ways.
This is the kind of thing that makes it harder and harder to continue being a fan of this team. The fans were so excited when we got this guy. Now they are going to let him be run out of town by a total loser. We are actually approaching last straw territory for me.

This is the kind of thing that makes it harder and harder to continue being a fan of this team. The fans were so excited when we got this guy. Now they are going to let him be run out of town by a total loser. We are actually approaching last straw territory for me.
I hear ya. It's just not me. The team is bigger than all of them and all of us. There will be hundreds of years. It's my team throughout my existence. For better or worse. All I can do from way out here in the fandomesphere is hope for the best. HAIL! :banned:  

John Keim‏Verified account @john_keim

Yes, as @chaddukes tweeted, Redskins WR Pierre Garcon indeed requested a trade early in the season, his agent confirmed 1/2
I think it's safe to say Garcon is gone.

I think it's safe to say Garcon is gone.
And while people can say the Skins are dysfunctional, it would be dumb to make an offer to someone that doesn't want to be there, so that makes sense why we've read the Skins have had no contact this offseason. Try to sign DeSean, if they can't for a reasonable deal, pray Doctson turns out, and draft a WR on day two or three. 

Well, fellas I chose Corey Davis in the first round of the Shark Pool March mock-draft. Feel free to disagree with me and tell me who you think I(they) should have chosen instead. I really was hoping for Mike Williams but he has already been taken.

Well, fellas I chose Corey Davis in the first round of the Shark Pool March mock-draft. Feel free to disagree with me and tell me who you think I(they) should have chosen instead. I really was hoping for Mike Williams but he has already been taken.
With Taco Charlton and Quincy Wilson still on the board I'd be pretty pissed if they took Davis there.  I will admit that I don't often like taking a WR in the 1st round though.  

I also think Dalvin Cook is going to be pretty special and wouldn't mind seeing him in Baltimore or Washington.

I still think Fournette would be the better back to take if both are available when we pick. He appears to have soft hands, he just wasn't used a lot in the passing game. Although I wouldn't mind if they tried to get Joe Mixon in the 3rd. Who cares about any potentially negative PR from drafting him, we are used to that!! ;)   

With Taco Charlton and Quincy Wilson still on the board I'd be pretty pissed if they took Davis there.  I will admit that I don't often like taking a WR in the 1st round though.  

I also think Dalvin Cook is going to be pretty special and wouldn't mind seeing him in Baltimore or Washington.
I tend to agree with your analysis that there could be good defensive players available and I'd like to see us move that way -- and that's even if we let both Jackson and Garcon go.  If the Redskins go WR in the first round this year I will scream.  Plus:  http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf/2017/03/wmu_wr_corey_davis_a_top_nfl_p.html

INDIANAPOLIS -- Record-setting Western Michigan receiver Corey Davis has suffered an ankle injury that could jeopardize his place as the top receiver in this year's NFL draft.

Davis bowed out of the Senior Bowl with a shoulder injury, then subsequently tore two ligaments in his ankle and underwent surgery six weeks ago. He expects to be back to full speed by April, and will have no problem being ready for the start of rookie minicamp.

I know prolly no big deal on the injury front, but ...but... Doctson.  :wall:

I still think a RB can be found in mid to late rounds...

Users who are viewing this thread