What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***OFFICIAL*** Washington Commanders Thread (14 Viewers)

This is feeling like a 6-10 year, where the first 3-4 games are like extended training camp with a coach saying "we did some good things out there" after losses. Then they "hit their stride" just as the injuries mount. I still see the offense taking a step back, specifically the passing game. When Ryan Grant's a starting WR your passing game is in trouble. And if Scherff and Lauvao don't dramatically improve their blocking I don't see the running game picking up no matter how many times they run. I think the defense will improve greatly at LB (Brown is a huge step up from Compton) and improve somewhat in the backfield, but I still can see other teams gashing the D-line for 4 yards a pop before someone has a chance at a tackle. If Ziggy Hood's on the field you know your defensive line is in trouble.

Sorry Cravens retired but I wouldn't put any hope in him returning. I think Doctson will stay hurt. It hurts losing high draft picks like that.

However, in 10 minutes I'll be cheering my ### off. Go Skins.

Defense has potential.

Offense looks worse.

cousins reverted back to the guy who freaks out and makes bad decisions under pressure.  

Were building a promising core on defense but it looks increasingly likely we'll have a new qb next year.  

Which makes this entire season kind of about talent evaluations.  

Feels like it's going to be a long hard season .  Maybe we'll win next week...rams are beatable.  But overall the schedule is hard and it's really difficult to imagine the team we saw today winning half their games 

Defense has potential.

Offense looks worse.

cousins reverted back to the guy who freaks out and makes bad decisions under pressure.  

Were building a promising core on defense but it looks increasingly likely we'll have a new qb next year.  

Which makes this entire season kind of about talent evaluations.  

Feels like it's going to be a long hard season .  Maybe we'll win next week...rams are beatable.  But overall the schedule is hard and it's really difficult to imagine the team we saw today winning half their games 
Im ok with this.  Unless cousins has a miraculous recovery, id rather focus on the D first and foremost.  Maybe luck into a serviceable QB. 

I know it's the Luck-less Colts, but the Rams look like a markedly different Team from the '16 Team...Even without Aaron Donald (today), (he'll play next week), that D has the potential to be quite good, and from the looks of this Colts/Rams game, McVay has definitely done some whispering to Goff this offseason...which opens things up for Gurley,..which to me, right now, looks like a recipe for a long Week 2...

Last edited by a moderator:
I know it's the Luck-less Colts, but the Rams look like a markedly different Team from the '16 Team...Even without Aaron Donald (today), (he'll play next week), that D has the potential to be quite good, and from the looks of this Colts/Rams game, McVay has definitely done some whispering to Goff this offseason...which opens things up for Gurley,..which to me, right now, looks like a recipe for a long Week 2...
After rams we have raiders and chiefs. We lose next week we're legit staring at 0-4

Play calling was awful, zero balance. 

Pryor had lots of drops.

Cousins was overthrowing every deep ball. Continues to be horrible in the red zone and when it counts the most 

They didn't target Doctson a single time that I can remember (what a waste)

Kelley runs hard but is still just a JAG. 

Did I mention how much I hate being a Redskins fan. 

I see McVay's team put up 46 points today. 16 were scored by the defense, so that's 30 by the offense. First-year coach, second year QB.

i missed the game.  How bad was it? heard kirk threw an awful pick in the redzone?
Yeah, that was how one of the 2-3 decent drives ended. Another decent drive ended in a TD after Chris Thompson pinballed off half the Eagles defenders for an unlikely TD, another drive which wasn't even that good but extended twice on Eagles penalties ended in a FG. Other than that there was near zero offense.

The worst part is that's about what I expected. Normally after a loss the other fans are all doom and gloom and I'm the optimistic one. I don't see any reason for optimism here. Our #1 receiver can't catch. Our QB has never been good except when surrounded by talent. We have a JAG RB and our run blocking isn't good. We have a new OC who was probably way down on our list of candidates. Trent Williams is still good and Reed will make an impact in the 6-10 games he's healthy in. I'm not sure what else there is to be optimistic about.

Week 1 and I am already accepting that this year is about developing and evaluating talent. I'll have to get enjoyment out of watching our rookies develop and waiting for doctson to get a target.

No reason to sign Cousins to a Stafford like contract. Let someone else deal with it. I think Pryor gets better as the season goes on. I'm actually excited to watch him play, especially since we'll be behind most of the time airing it out. We'll also be airing it out bc I don't think our running game is going to do much. 

Fedex field will be ~50% Redskins fans the last 7 home games  

Week 1 and I am already accepting that this year is about developing and evaluating talent. I'll have to get enjoyment out of watching our rookies develop and waiting for doctson to get a target.
That works for the defense. We may get to next season with some hope that we have a good core there to build around. No hope for the offense though. Our only rookies there are depth players. Including 2nd year players only adds Doctson, who knows if he'll ever be healthy. Our 2 new-to-us WR's are on 1 year rentals, and the price to keep our QB is going to be prohibitive (even if his price drops this year, which it will, he's not signing here unless it's another franchise deal. He'll sign for cheaper somewhere else.) We have sooooo much rebuilding ahead on that side of the ball. 

On the bright side, actually glad to see we don't have a bunch of "moral victory" type of posts in here, which is what I am used to seeing in past seasons. I hate those. I always feel that is the sign of a fan base that is just so used to losing, they expect nothing better. I never want to accept losing.

Pretty bad performance yesterday by the offense.

Can't turn the ball over 3 times (plus another on Special Teams) and expect to win the game. Cousins could have easily had another INT on the opening drive, but it was dropped. He was airmailing passes all game. Just didn't look in sync at all with the WRs.

Why wasn't Docston more involved? Gruden really does love Ryan Grant.

Running game looked atrocious. When your non-running QB is tied for being the leading rusher on the day, that's bad.

I did think the defense played pretty well outside of the busted coverage TD early. Held Philly to a bunch of FGs and created turnovers.

Huge game this week on the road. If they lose to the Rams, 0-4 is a real possibility with KC and Oakland waiting in the wings.  

One day after and I'm still feeling low.

Feels weird to say this, but Rams game is Code Red.  And feels weirder to say this but Rams really ought to be favored BIG in this matchup.

Is there any way we can get God to tell Kirk Cousins to throw the ball a little lower when he gets pressured in the pocket?  Or does God just confine himself to contract talks?

I feel bad for the defense.  If they shore up third down coverage, they actually have potential.  I'll take Manuski's more aggressive style over Joe Barry any day.

Anyone other than me want to see Jay Gruden get more pissed off?  Brian Mitchell wrote a piece on CSN where he said he thought part of the problem was Gruden doesn't get pissed off and therefore, the offense seems causal and lackidasical.  Then, I listened to Kirk Cousins presser after the game, and he didn't even sound upset.  I mean, he was saying, "we  have to get better" but blah, blah, blah milktoast with no emotion. 

If these guys don't care, why should we?

Sorry I don't have links for all these references ... but go to CSN Mid Atlantic if you are interested ... all that stuff is up there.

One day after and I'm still feeling low.

Feels weird to say this, but Rams game is Code Red.  And feels weirder to say this but Rams really ought to be favored BIG in this matchup.

Is there any way we can get God to tell Kirk Cousins to throw the ball a little lower when he gets pressured in the pocket?  Or does God just confine himself to contract talks?

I feel bad for the defense.  If they shore up third down coverage, they actually have potential.  I'll take Manuski's more aggressive style over Joe Barry any day.

Anyone other than me want to see Jay Gruden get more pissed off?  Brian Mitchell wrote a piece on CSN where he said he thought part of the problem was Gruden doesn't get pissed off and therefore, the offense seems causal and lackidasical.  Then, I listened to Kirk Cousins presser after the game, and he didn't even sound upset.  I mean, he was saying, "we  have to get better" but blah, blah, blah milktoast with no emotion. 

If these guys don't care, why should we?

Sorry I don't have links for all these references ... but go to CSN Mid Atlantic if you are interested ... all that stuff is up there.
This has been one of my biggest complaints about Gruden.  Team always needs a "CODE RED!!!" to get up for some games every year.  All the talk of soft camps and I think the Skins have never won an opening day game with Gruden at the helm.

This has been one of my biggest complaints about Gruden.  Team always needs a "CODE RED!!!" to get up for some games every year.  All the talk of soft camps and I think the Skins have never one an opening day game with Gruden at the helm.
Nope. 0-4 on opening day under Gruden. Remember, we gave this guy a contract extension in the offseason too.

Nope. 0-4 on opening day under Gruden. Remember, we gave this guy a contract extension in the offseason too.
This contract was not fully guaranteed though correct?  I seem to recall that it would be fairly easy for the team to part ways with Gruden if they wanted.  Also I don't listen to Cooley or Sheeahan any more.  I'm sure they were full of Kirk excuses this morning.

This contract was not fully guaranteed though correct?  I seem to recall that it would be fairly easy for the team to part ways with Gruden if they wanted.  Also I don't listen to Cooley or Sheeahan any more.  I'm sure they were full of Kirk excuses this morning.

Contract extension or not, is there any way that Gruden survives a losing season this year?
Not sure if the extension was fully guaranteed or not, it may have been. But if the team really falls apart, I could see them moving on from Gruden.

I don't listen to Cooley and Kevin either, but I saw a couple retweets yesterday where Grant Paulsen was blaming just about everyone outside of Kirk for yesterday's debacle.

Contract extension or not, is there any way that Gruden survives a losing season this year?
No. That would be consecutive years of going backwards, and I've already said this is a make-or-break year for him. After last year's collapse by the team (which Gruden is responsible for), going backwards a second straight year won't be tolerated.

That said, the guy's got 15 games to work with, and he knows this game should've been a win and would have had his offense been better prepared. He may turn up the urgency right now and right the ship. I doubt it, because he seems so comfortable, but he could.

Cousins was really bad yesterday. I guess leverage doesn't win football games.  Losing Garcon and Jackson is going to hurt all season long, and if he's any good as a QB he'll figure out how to move the offense without them. The run blocking was bad yesterday (like most of last year). Kelly keeps getting hit in the backfield. Third down defense was bad just like last year.

The positives: Chris Thompson just keeps getting better. Mason Foster and Zach Brown were quite good. Breeland and Fuller were quite good. Edited to add: Josh Norman was very good. Safety play was improved from last year. There was more QB pressure than last year by the defense. Trent Williams is still going downfield and throwing second and third blocks.

If they play like this next week they're getting beat by the Rams, who have a better defense than the Eagles.

Sheehan had all his Cousins excuses lined up this morning. And is there anyone worse at taking Monday morning fan venting than Cooley and Sheehan? Neither one can take more than a sentence or 2 of criticism before they talk over the caller. In 30 minutes I heard 3 callers just hang up on them this morning. The idea is to let fans vent, and they don't do that.

Cousins's  streak of game-losing interceptions is now at 2.

Cousins was bad.  It would be hard for anyone to defend him.

My big question:  what happened to Doctson?  I thought he was a starting wr and I don't recall even seeing him on the field.  Pryor and Crowder started the game.  In 3 wr sets, it looked like Grant came in and Crowder moved to the slot.

My big question:  what happened to Doctson?  I thought he was a starting wr and I don't recall even seeing him on the field.  Pryor and Crowder started the game.  In 3 wr sets, it looked like Grant came in and Crowder moved to the slot.
Yeah, the lack of Doctson was disappointing. Not sure if that was because of the time he missed recently or because he's just not really good enough or because he's in the doghouse for some other reason.

I'd don't see how  he's not good enough when he's had less than 10 touches of,the football on an NFL field. Might wanna actually try throwing to him and see if he ducks like he's playing dodgeball or maybe he catches it. 

Jay is a made guy in Bruce's Tampa mafia, but Dan will blow him out if this thing collapses this year. And I think there's a good chance it will. We're staring at 1-7.

Bruce is a major, major problem and bulletproof until the stadium gets done. 

My sister texted my wife asking who mine and my boys' favorite Redskins are. I asked "Current or all time?" Unfortunately, she said current. I think this is probably related to a Christmas present. I got nothing. I guess I will go with Reed. Or I'm tempted to just say someone like Quick, Nsekhe, or Ioannidis. 

I think my sons said Norman and Pryor. 

My sister texted my wife asking who mine and my boys' favorite Redskins are. I asked "Current or all time?" Unfortunately, she said current. I think this is probably related to a Christmas present. I got nothing. I guess I will go with Reed. Or I'm tempted to just say someone like Quick, Nsekhe, or Ioannidis. 

I think my sons said Norman and Pryor. 
Will they know the difference? Say Darrel Green anyway and watch the gifts roll in. 

dgreen said:
Yeah, the lack of Doctson was disappointing. Not sure if that was because of the time he missed recently or because he's just not really good enough or because he's in the doghouse for some other reason.
I just read Doctson played 20 snaps with no targets.  His playing time will likely increase.

Last year, they had plays designed for Doctson and were itching to get him into the games.  This year it completely different.

dgreen said:
In his press conference Gruden sounded like Doctson not being in there was related to practice.  Almost zero practices last year and very few this year, sounds like a coach who doesn't want to reward a player with playing time who has only practiced a couple of times with the team.

In his press conference Gruden sounded like Doctson not being in there was related to practice.  Almost zero practices last year and very few this year, sounds like a coach who doesn't want to reward a player with playing time who has only practiced a couple of times with the team.
Sounds like a player who hasn't honed his craft and isn't actually ready to be used in a game situation.  I'm not saying he's lazy, but you can't improve if you don't put in the work.

Snap counts from 63 offensive plays: Reed 55, Pryor 53, Crowder 49, Grant 37, Kelley 33, Thompson 30, Davis 27, Doctson 20, Quick 6, Paul 5. I was surprised by Doctson too, but I understand the reasoning. Gotta be available and consistent.

Marvelous said:

This whole Cousin's thing is just not good for the present and the Franchise. Other players are going to have a hard time rallying behind this guy...just my opinion.

This whole Cousin's thing is just not good for the present and the Franchise. Other players are going to have a hard time rallying behind this guy...just my opinion.
Not if Cousins keeps playing the way he is.  He needs to show he can pick the team up and put them on his shoulders.

Couple this with everyone saying how hard Ryan Grant works in practice and the amount of targets he got and it's easy to see Jay is sending Docstom a message. 

Users who are viewing this thread