What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***OFFICIAL*** Washington Commanders Thread (15 Viewers)

Well, for one thing, and it's a plus, he's unique in terms of skill set to Crowder and Doctson. Three unique options is good. Hope he can stay on the field; seems to get banged up a lot.

Yeah, I like this signing. Some concerns with health but his skill set is a lot like desean’s game. Nice compliment to the existing group of WRs too. 8m a yr is a good price for him as I think he’s an ascending talent. He’s had some highlight reel catches. It helps this scheme when they have a WR that takes the top off the defense and PR does that. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, I like this signing. Some concerns with health but his skill set is a lot like desean’s game. Nice compliment to the existing group of WRs too. 8m a yr is a good price for him as I think he’s an ascending talent. He’s had some highlight reel catches. It helps this scheme when they have a WR that takes the top of the defense and PR does that. 
I'd agree with that. he's not as good as DeSean, and isn't paid as much, but they bring a lot of the same things to the table. Crowder will certainly be a lot more effective with a guy clearing out for him. I also think this might be a make or break year for Doctson.

So the deal that Skins didn't make with Cousins after 2015 season was 3 years 58.5 million...fully guaranteed. That last part seemed to be a pretty relevant detail. Had anyone heard that before? He's been angling for a fully guaranteed contract all these years? Makes a lot more sense that they never could negotiate a long term deal with this guy. Definitely should have traded him. That was their biggest mistake. 

So the deal that Skins didn't make with Cousins after 2015 season was 3 years 58.5 million...fully guaranteed. That last part seemed to be a pretty relevant detail. Had anyone heard that before? He's been angling for a fully guaranteed contract all these years? Makes a lot more sense that they never could negotiate a long term deal with this guy. Definitely should have traded him. That was their biggest mistake. 
Yeah, I think we’ve know for a while that his main concern was getting as much guaranteed as possible. He didn’t want a 5 year, $140m deal that the team can easily get out of after two years and he never sees most of the money. He pointed out many times that he thinks all NFL contracts are really just one year deals, if that’s what the team wants it to be. That’s why he was ok with the franchise tag. He basically saw that as the same thing as a typical long term deal in the NFL. 

No, I hadn't heard it was fully guaranteed.

Thinking out loud, either that money wasn't enough for him then and he didn't counter, or he just didn't want to be here. Because the "wanting a fully guaranteed contract" business is pretty clearly BS. Or was.

Niles Paul signed with Jaguars.

Ryan Grant failed his physical with the Ravens (after the news came out that Crabtree was available).

Quick re-signed with the Skins.

Redskins re-signed Zach Brown.  3 years at $8/million a year. He's worth that.
To elaborate, he would have led the league in tackles again last year if he hadn't gotten hurt. Can you imagine how back their defense would have been if Brown wasn't all over the field making tackles other players missed? He's not so good in pass coverage but man is he all over the field making plays.

No, I hadn't heard it was fully guaranteed.

Thinking out loud, either that money wasn't enough for him then and he didn't counter, or he just didn't want to be here. Because the "wanting a fully guaranteed contract" business is pretty clearly BS. Or was.
The 3/58.5m fully guaranteed was Cousins' offer, not the Redskins'. The Redskins said no thanks to that, then gave him 2 years totaling $44m with the franchise tags. It's always been about the guarantees for him.

dgreen said:
The 3/58.5m fully guaranteed was Cousins' offer, not the Redskins'. The Redskins said no thanks to that, then gave him 2 years totaling $44m with the franchise tags. It's always been about the guarantees for him.
Thanks.

fatness said:
Ryan Grant failed his physical with the Ravens (after the news came out that Crabtree was available).
Breeland just failed his physical and won't sign with the Panthers.

I originally thought the Redskins may get multiple compensation picks in 2019.  With Grant and Breeland failing physicals, their contracts could be significantly lower, which will affect what the Redskins get.  They will definitely get a 3rd rounder for Cousins.

Orlando Scandrick signed. Supposedly (from what little I've heard) he's good in man coverage and bad in zone coverage. Supposedly the Skins badly wanted another veteran in the secondary. I guess Rogers-Cromartie was asking too much money.

Johnathan Hankins and Pernell McPhee both talked to them today but left without signing.

Will Compton meanwhile visited the Bills today.

Will Compton‏Verified account @_willcompton

The “turn and cough” method never gets any more comfortable during your physical, fellas

Cravens traded to Denver.  Washington swapped picks in the 4th and 5th rounds with Denver and get an additional 5th.  Also there's a conditional pick if Cravens plays a certain amount for Denver, I'm not sure what that is though.

Cravens traded to Denver.  Washington swapped picks in the 4th and 5th rounds with Denver and get an additional 5th.  Also there's a conditional pick if Cravens plays a certain amount for Denver, I'm not sure what that is though.
Absolute steal for a guy with 2nd round talent.  If he's healthy and his head is clear, they got a great deal.

Absolute steal for a guy with 2nd round talent.  If he's healthy and his head is clear, they got a great deal.
I'm surprised Washington got anything for him.  He had a moment that he walked away from USC too, so it's a pretty fair deal.  Shame though, I thought he was going to develop into something special here.

I heard that the conditional pick was a 6th rounder. Don't know if that's correct or not.

Washington made out OK here. They got one pick, moved up their picks in 2 rounds, and get a conditional pick if he actually plays. Which I doubt he will for a season.

Wish we would spend whatever is necessary to sign Johnathan Hankins...

...If we draft Derrius Guice, or any other RB not named Saquon in the first round, I'm going to do something completely irrational that's going to get me in legal trouble.

I'm almost NEVER a proponent of trading up in the draft... BUT if the rumors are true that most NFL teams are slotting Fitzpatrick as a S and he's sliding in the draft I can't think of a player that would fit WAS's needs much better than that. If you only had to move up a few spots to get him he would absolutely be worth it imo. Even if he was "just" a nickel that's a starter in the NFL today. I thought they made a big mistake by not making a run for Tyrann Mathieu and this would make up for that mistake. That seems like Fitzpatrick's downside, with possible upside as Jalen Ramsey type.

Without a 3rd round pick WAS would probably be smarter to slide down that up, but Fitz is one of those rare players that changes your entire defense and you only get a chance to draft them so often imo.

2018 Regular Season:

@ Cardinals 

vs Colts

vs Packers

-bye-

@ Saints (MNF)

vs Panthers

vs Cowboys

@ Giants

vs Falcons

@ Buccaneers

vs Texans

@ Cowboys (Thanksgiving)

@ Eagles (MNF)

vs Giants

@ Jaguars

@ Titans

vs Eagles

Start Season on the road, hate the Week 4 Bye, both MNF games are road games, @ Cowboys on Thanksgiving, Jags in Jax, 4 of last 6 on road...at least Packers, Panthers and Falcons are here. Mixed bag, skewing negative, IMHO.

Thoughts?

WASHINGTON REDSKINS

Sept. 9 at Arizona Cardinals, 4:05 p.m. (FOX)
Sept. 16 vs. Indianapolis Colts, 1 p.m. (CBS)
Sept. 23 vs. Green Bay Packers, 1 p.m. (FOX)
Sept. 30 -- BYE
Oct. 8 at New Orleans Saints, 8:15 p.m. (ESPN)
Oct. 14 vs. Carolina Panthers, 1 p.m. (FOX)
Oct. 21 vs. Dallas Cowboys, 4:25 p.m. (CBS)
Oct. 28 at New York Giants, 1 p.m. (FOX)
Nov. 4 vs. Atlanta Falcons, 1 p.m. (FOX)
Nov. 11 at Tampa Bay Buccaneers, 1 p.m. (FOX)
Nov. 18 vs. Houston Texans, 1 p.m. (CBS)
Nov. 22 at Dallas Cowboys (Thanksgiving), 4:30 p.m. (FOX)
Dec. 3 at Philadelphia Eagles, 8:15 p.m. (ESPN)
Dec. 9 vs. New York Giants, 1 p.m. (FOX)
Dec. 16 at Jacksonville Jaguars, 1 p.m. (FOX)
Dec. 22 or 23 at Tennessee Titans, TBD (TBD)
Dec. 30 vs. Philadelphia Eagles, 1 p.m (FOX)

I'm seeing 6-10.

2018 Regular Season:

@ Cardinals 

vs Colts

vs Packers

-bye-

@ Saints (MNF)

vs Panthers

vs Cowboys

@ Giants

vs Falcons

@ Buccaneers

vs Texans

@ Cowboys (Thanksgiving)

@ Eagles (MNF)

vs Giants

@ Jaguars

@ Titans

vs Eagles

Start Season on the road, hate the Week 4 Bye, both MNF games are road games, @ Cowboys on Thanksgiving, Jags in Jax, 4 of last 6 on road...at least Packers, Panthers and Falcons are here. Mixed bag, skewing negative, IMHO.

Thoughts?
I hate everything about this schedule. The 2 Mondays come off a bye week and then after a Thursday game, so that extra prep day isn't even there. Early bye is the worst. Light NFC games to finish the season are weird. Half our AFC games in the last 3 weeks? How is that a thing? The one game we pencilled in taking a road trip for, Arizona, comes up as week 1. No time to organize and a harder ticket than later in the year. Worst. Schedule. Ever.

I hate everything about this schedule. The 2 Mondays come off a bye week and then after a Thursday game, so that extra prep day isn't even there. Early bye is the worst. Light NFC games to finish the season are weird. Half our AFC games in the last 3 weeks? How is that a thing? The one game we pencilled in taking a road trip for, Arizona, comes up as week 1. No time to organize and a harder ticket than later in the year. Worst. Schedule. Ever.
I couldn't agree more, especially with a bunch of AFC games at the end of the year. 

The NFL really needs to add excitement at the end of the NFL season with the last 6 games being against division opponents. That would make those last six games(the most important of the season) so much more exciting and important. The non-Conference games should always be at the start of the season where they make the least difference in the standings. Fans are so starved for football EVERY game will seem exciting the first month or so of the season. Even if your team is completely out of the playoff hunt then division opponents love to play spoiler and knock a division rival out. 

Put the most important regular season games(the ones that actually determine if you make the playoffs or not) at the end of the season, Goodell. Now that you "fixed" the catch rule just do something a lot more simple.

If it's pick 13 and Vita Vea is still available that is who they should draft. And if they trade out of the spot, or do not draft him, they're imcompetent. They switched to the 3-4 in 2010 and have never run it well, and have never had a real nose tackle. Those 2 things are directly related.

Vegas has the win total o/u at 5.5. Sounds like easy money on the over, but it has me worried that we could be headed toward a really bad season. 

Vegas has the win total o/u at 5.5. Sounds like easy money on the over, but it has me worried that we could be headed toward a really bad season. 
I typed a long reply and then lost it and so I'll just summarize. The season victory totals the last 3 years have been 9, 8, and 7, so 6 would make sense for this year following the trend. Gruden's limits as a coach (that was the long part of the reply I lost) are probably worth another -0.5 games. I think Vegas is thinking that way.

Look at the schedule. I wait... How many games do you think we will be favored to win? If Vegas had to lay all the games out right now it might just be 2. Colts at home and Giants at home (it's currently a pickem @ AZ week 1). I think Vegas is feeling really comfortable with the 5.5 line. It is going to rope a lot of Skins fans in. 

There aren't enough excellent players on this Roster to aspire to better than 8-8. I know interior defense is terrible, but right now what this Team needs is better players at just about every position. So I'm advocating for BPA. I'm still pissed about the Alex Smith deal. We lost a 3rd Rounder + a starter caliber DB. When a trade is 'even', both sides should walk away uneasy that they did the right thing. Everyone in KC was ecstatic after that deal got done. Redskins land...not hardly as much.

I mean really: Trent Williams, Jordan Reed (healthy), Zach Brown, Kerrigan, Norman...what other players would any of the other 31 Teams fall all over themselves trying to acquire were they available? When the cupboard is that bare, you have to tear it down to the studs. When they let Kirk walk, they should have held a fire sale and taken anything they could get for anyone, and started from ground zero. Consistently notching 7-8-9 wins is no way to go through life, son...but you can't tell Uncle Brucie that. He'd rather aspire to mediocrity than really, really suck for a couple of seasons, with the goal being not to suck for several seasons after that. I think that's largely because when he really looks deep into the mirror, what's staring back is someone who has no clue how to build a Team from the ground up, and he knows full well if he's ever put in that position, he'll be exposed publicly, and be out of the NFL forever.

Bruce Allen: Just good enough, because once you've reached 'good', why aspire to anything greater?

...and the whole time he thinks we, the fans, can't see right through his BS. Oh, the hubris...

Wait... There's a non drunk time!? 
Wait.... I thought they got rid of THE "drunk" in the organization?

Oddly enough, the organization that listens to that guy ended up with the best cover corner in a league that passes the ball nearly 2/3rd the time. Meanwhile the Redskins pass on perhaps the best pure S in the draft(Derwin James) AND arguably the 1B corner in the draft(Jaire Alexander)!? But they came away with a DLman that is nearly useless when rushing the passer, so there's that.

Everyone says that you can't just trade down/up at your will and you need to find a partner to make those moves. Ozzy Newzome certainly seems to make it look easy.

I mean really: Trent Williams, Jordan Reed (healthy), Zach Brown, Kerrigan, Norman...what other players would any of the other 31 Teams fall all over themselves trying to acquire were they available?
I know he was hurt for much of his rookie year, but most teams would still value Jonathen Allen at his contract over the next several years. Crowder would also garner interest based on his salary even if he had a slightly down year last year. Maybe Perine/Thompson/Swearinger based on their salary. Maybe Moreau based on size and potential.

Everyone says that you can't just trade down/up at your will and you need to find a partner to make those moves. Ozzy Newzome certainly seems to make it look easy.
This part is pretty annoying. Two teams right after us traded down. That means the options were there. And Payne would have fell. And who cares if he doesn't? 

This part is pretty annoying. Two teams right after us traded down. That means the options were there. And Payne would have fell. And who cares if he doesn't? 
It especially kills you when the team behind you traded their pick for two first rounders(this year, and next year) and pick 147. It wouldn't be all that surprising if Senat would be available with the late pick. It also wouldn't be completely out of the question for a 40yo QB to break down and that NO 1st rounder could be very high if that happened.

When you consider the opportunity cost Payne was a very expensive run plugger.

Users who are viewing this thread