What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***OFFICIAL*** Washington Commanders Thread (9 Viewers)

I'd rather the 'skins were proactive and added a piece now instead of waiting for guys to get released.
Same here. I realize it was only the first preseason game, but Guice was the only Redskin back on the field who saw where holes were and hit them.

Tim Settle will make the team. I watched him for awhile and he never got pushed back. Meanwhile the guy next to him (Popkins, Pipkins?) was getting buried on most plays, literally driven to the ground.

Harris has to make the team at WR. He makes too many good plays. they need that.

Christian looked lost at tackle. Ends consistently went around him and he looked helpless. Not sure what they saw in him.

I know I'm getting old when Andy Pollin's show on Saturday morning is my favorite radio. I've always liked Andy, but I like him even more the older I get.
So do I.

And I'm glad Sheehan and Cooley are gone. Doc used to a source of humor but had turned into a droning caricature of himself, and nobody would tell him to shut up. I liked Bram because he wasn't a blind homer.

New 980 weekday lineup

• 6a-10a The Al Galdi Show
  • 10a-1p Fred Smoot
  • 1p-4p Brian Mitchell and Scott Linn
  • 4p-7p The Steve Czaban Show

My wet dream would be to find a way to acquire Giovanni Bernard from the Bengals. Mixon looked great last night, and Mark Walton/Brian Hill could be an effective COP tandem. I believe Bernard has 1 year left on his contract, He knows the Gruden scheme/Gruden knows him, he's capable of being a lead back, and Marvin Lewis has no idea how to use the Mixon/Bernard tandem. He's beind wasted in Cinci.

This might also be a golden opportunity for the Lions to deal Ameer Abdullah.

I'd rather the 'skins were proactive and added a piece now instead of waiting for guys to get released.

I'm going to imprison myself in the Pit Of Misery if I have to endure another season of 'Fat Rob'.
Gio is more like Thompson than Guice. 

No more Fat Rob. It's Fit Rob now. And he's gonna ball. 

[tinyfont] I hope [/tinyfont] 

Williams just doesn't seem to get the credit/media that he probably deserves, so that could be tough for him. He does have 6 straight Pro Bowls. If he can stay healthy, he'll probably make several more in a row. Not sure which All Pro Teams voters care about. He has back-to-back 1st team selections by Sporting News and one by Pro Football Focus (who I'm guessing voters definitely don't care about). He has one AP 2nd team.
Trent is a warrior and a terrific football player, but he will have a hard time to get into the Hall.  As good as he's been over the years, he's never been the best tackle in the league, and even with 6 Pro Bowls he's hasn't been an All-NFL selection which carries much more weight.  Trent's going to be measured against sure-fire first-ballot Hall of Famers like Joe Thomas and Jason Peters.   Even guys like Tyron Smith (3 All-NFL Selections) would have the inside track on making it to the Hall.  

There's a misconception about Bernard, which is fed by how Marvin Lewis chooses to use him when in a shared backfield. Marvin Lewis has been accused of being on of the most irrational coaches in the League.

I love Chris Thompson, but he's a very role-specific back,  capable of doing some things at a near elite level, and others not as well, and physically incapable of handling a feature load for an extended period of time.

Giovani Bernard is one of the most under-rated rb, and much closer to a complete nfl RB than CT. Explosive and dynamic. He suffers from lack of rational coaching, courtesy of Marvin Lewis, who shouldn't have a job. His presence on the field does not tip the offense's hand. Recently, in 2017, Mixon went down for the year with 5 games remaining, .and Gio had the feature role all to himself. If you look at the tape from those 5 games, you'll see him playing at a borderline elite level in all facets, especially given the poor quality of the Bengals o-line. He's built more compact and sturdier than Thompson, he's tougher and he's better to varying degrees than Thompson at everything a rb does. Coming out in 2013, the comps were Ray Rice, MJ-D and DeAngelo Williams. I see more Earnest Byner, Ahmad Bradshaw, Brian Westbrook than I do Chris Thompson.

Gio has often been asked to play the Thompson role, but is capable of much more. I think we'd all be pleasantly surprised were he to wind up here in a feature role. We'd only have to hope for rational coaching.

My wet dream would be to find a way to acquire Giovanni Bernard from the Bengals. Mixon looked great last night, and Mark Walton/Brian Hill could be an effective COP tandem. I believe Bernard has 1 year left on his contract, He knows the Gruden scheme/Gruden knows him, he's capable of being a lead back, and Marvin Lewis has no idea how to use the Mixon/Bernard tandem. He's beind wasted in Cinci.

This might also be a golden opportunity for the Lions to deal Ameer Abdullah.

I'm going to imprison myself in the Pit Of Misery if I have to endure another season of 'Fat Rob'.
Usually suggestions of trades in the NFL ring hollow but those are two very good suggestions where teams could be looking to move on, not fully because of the play of those two RB's.

Also, don't forget that Gruden was the OC in CIN when Bernard was drafted by CIN in 2013 and he certainly knew how to use Bernard with 1200yd from the LOS as a rookie. It stands to reason that Gruden very easily could have had a voice in CIN drafting Bernard. 

In a league of deflated RB value it would be interesting to see just how much it would take to acquire a backup. The fact that Bernard actually has 2 years at ~$4.5mil/season may actually work in the favor of a trade. CIN can cut him next season for a $750k dead money hit but getting a draft pick might seem preferable with Walton on the bench, as you mention.

I'm afraid the only thing losing Guice will change about the running game is that all the recent emphasis on running the ball more will disappear during the regular season the first time they're down by 7 in a second quarter. Gruden will get pass-happy, and from then on throughout the season will call runs intermittently, change RB's frequently, and prevent any chance of the running game being a success.

Gruden will get pass-happy, and from then on throughout the season will call runs intermittently, change RB's frequently, and prevent any chance of the running game being a success.
If Chris Thompson plays all 16 games, he will be a middling RB2 in PPR

If Chris Thompson plays all 16 games, he will be a middling RB2 in PPR
He would have been anyway even if Guice played all 3 downs. They are going to get Thompson on the field because he's their most explosive offensive player. If Guice had become explosive as well that would just have put Thompson on the field instead of a WR or a TE on third downs.

Allen and Payne occupy 3 blockers, and whichever one gets single-teamed usually beats his man. However, when they play too close together the O-line seemed to herd them together and hold them off longer. Still, they're gonna be good. Settle was good too. The 3 of them and Ionidas form a good rotation, probably need a fifth. Somehow they'll find and excuse to keep Ziggy Hood I guess. I don't see what they see in him. He's like the new Kedric Golston.

Why does Ziggy Hood always make the team? "Because he always makes the team."

It was good seeing the young receivers play so much. Sims had that bad drop but made several tough, critical plays. If he makes the team over Harris I'll be pissed, though.

Perine made a 30-yard straight-line run and went out injured on the tackle. Out a week. Marshall also injured, out  up to 4 weeks. They're trying out Orleans Darkwa.

Alex Smith and McCoy each completed very accurate throws just before a free runner smashed them to the ground. Nice to see that instead of something more cautious.

And since somebody has to say it: 5 field goals? Is this last year all over again?

Out here in San Diego radio talk last week was all about Trever Hoffman making the Hall of Fame. The main radio crew here all flew out to cover it. They realized that Hoffman was probably the last Padre that will go in to the Hall of Fame during their lifetime. Made me think of our Redskin. Who is the next Redskin to make it? Chris Samuels (6 Pro Boles; 1 All=Pro)? Trent Williams? I'm not sure how OLine gets in. I thought Joe Jacoby was a shoe-in. 

Another Redskin going to the HOF!
:goodposting:

Predictions for YPC for Peterson this year?

mine: 3.2
Predictions for total offensive plays before Peterson starts to pout because he came to WAS to be the bell-cow back but then realizes he's in some mish-mash RBBC because Peterson has much less to contribute to the modern NFL where 2/3rds of the plays run are passing plays?

mine: 4

At this particular moment during roster cuts

Rich Tandler‏Verified account @TandlerNBCS 16m16 minutes ago

Assuming Catalina is headed to IR, the #Redskins have no backup guards. Nsekhe and Bergstrom both can play there but they will need to acquire interior OL.

BIbbs released. That's as 'same old 'skins' a move as can be. If both Kelley and Perine are on the final 53, someone worthy of keeping is going to be looking for work. Redundancy is worse when it's compounded with lack of ability. SMH.

[9/1 3:39pm] Danny Johnson indicates he's made the Redskins roster
[9/1 3:39pm] QB Connor Jessop released per Les Carpenter
[9/1 3:10pm] OL Demetrius Rhaney released per John Keim
[9/1 3:02pm] RB Kapri Bibbs released per Ian Rapoport
[9/1 1:44pm] WR Cam Sims is making the roster per John Keim
[9/1 1:43pm] WR Maurice Harris is good to go per JP Finlay
[9/1 1:42pm] WR Brian Quick released per John Keim

Sims and Harris both make the team. They need to get Harris on the field more, and work Sims in.

Bibbs release while Perine is kept. You know darn well that, give the chance, Perine will fumble away 1-2 games this year. I'm afraid when he's on the field.

I wouldn't mind a d-line rotation of Allen, Payne, Settle, and Ionaidas for 3 spots. Payne's more talented than Settle but also (so far) is move aside more often leaving gaping running holes. Settle just never seems to get moved from the middle.

Not sure Apke should have made the team. He was out of position so often this preseason.

Kelley had a good preseason, and it was great seeing him 1) look to see where the hole was before hitting it instead of running into a blocker, and 2) involved in a lot of pass patters and catching most balls that went his way.

They need interior o-line help.

[9/1 7:36pm] DL Ondre Pipkins released per John Keim

[9/1 6:04pm] ILB Martrell Spaight released per John Keim

[9/1 5:19pm] ILB Zach Vigil has made the team per John Keim

[9/1 5:12pm] DT Phil Taylor released per Matthew Paras
Settle got Taylor's job. Vigil got Spaight's job. I think the latter was a mistake but we'll see.

Roster as of right now.

*Rookie
**New to the Redskins in 2018

Quarterbacks (2)
Alex Smith**, Colt McCoy

Running backs (5)
Rob Kelley, Adrian Peterson**, Samaje Perine, Chris Thompson, Byron Marshall

Wide receivers (6)
Josh Doctson, Paul Richardson**, Jamison Crowder, Maurice Harris, Cam Sims*, Trey Quinn*

Tight ends (3)
Jordan Reed, Vernon Davis, Jeremy Sprinkle

Offensive line (9)
Trent Williams, Shawn Lauvao, Chase Roullier, Brandon Scherff, Morgan Moses, Ty Nsekhe, Geron Christian*, Casey Dunn*, Tony Bergstrom

Defensive line (6)
Jonathan Allen, Da’Ron Payne*, Matt Ioannidis, Anthony Lanier, Tim Settle*, Ziggy Hood

Outside linebacker (4)
Ryan Kerrigan, Preston Smith, Ryan Anderson, Pernell McPhee**

Inside linebacker (5)
Zach Brown, Mason Foster, Zach Vigil, Josh Harvey-Clemons, Shaun Dion Hamilton*

Cornerback (6)
Josh Norman, Quinton Dunbar, Fabian Moreau, Adonis Alexander*, Greg Stroman*, Danny Johnson*

Safety (4)
D.J. Swearinger, Montae Nicholson, Deshazor Everett, Troy Apke*
I think they're weak at CB, S, and O-line depth. Possibly at WR too.

Last edited by a moderator:
Rich Tandler‏Verified account @TandlerNBCS 15h15 hours ago

Counting supplemental pick Alexander, 15 regular draft picks, and three undrafted rookies, over a third of the players on the #Redskins roster are home grown and in their first or second years (19 of 53 = 35.8%)

The team announced the signing of former Brown Caleb Brantley. Anthony Lanier was waived/injured in a corresponding move.

Brantley was a sixth-round pick by Cleveland last year, but didn’t make the team when they cut down to 53 players over the weekend. He had 18 tackles and two sacks during his rookie season.

Lanier made the Washington roster as an undrafted free agent in 2016. He had five sacks in the final seven games of the 2017 season, but a hip injury led to Monday’s move. If unclaimed, Lanier reverts to injured reserve.

Jonathan Allen, Daron Payne, Matt Ioannidis, Ziggy Hood and Tim Settle join Brantley on the defensive line.
link

Why is Ziggy Hood still on the team?

John Keim‏Verified account @john_keim

The Redskins have signed RB Kapri Bibbs to the practice squad, per source. They have 5 RBs on the 53-man roster, but likely will place Byron Marshall on IR.

the Redskins wide receiver group for Week 1 projects to be:

Josh Doctson
    Paul Richardson
    Jamison Crowder
    Maurice Harris
    Trey Quinn
    Cam Sims

Doctson, Richardson and Crowder are the only three wideouts with significant NFL experience. At 26, Richardson is now the oldest WR on the team

If the Redskins start the first  game looking unprepared and uninspired, it'll be pretty clear that Gruden can't make the adjustments necessary to be an effective HC in the NFL.

His tenure here has taught us to expect multiple uninspired, unimpressive, unprepared performances by the team 2-3 times a year. With a season 10% the length of an MLB season, even one game like that can't be afforded.

His tenure here has also taught us that the HC can be expected to take away the Skins chances near the ends of halves in any close games through uncertainty, poor clock management, or bad decisions. Even one game like that can't be afforded.

If he keeps doing either of those things this season he deserves to be fired. And I do think he knows this is his last chance, based on the urgency he's conveyed to players.

My quick thoughts on the roster:

The team is getting a lot younger, which is good.  Some positions groups are very young, such as WR and CB.

I am surprised they cut Spaight. 

Keeping Apke is very questionable.  The front office apparently thought he would not make it to the practice squad.

FO apparently thought Hogan would make it to the practice squad and was snatched up by Denver.  I suspected they are really unhappy how that turned out.

I have no problems cutting Bibbs.  And he did make it to the practice squad.  

For all the RBBC talk, it looks like Peterson basically earned the starting gig with a partial week of practice and his showing in the 3rd preseason game.  And Kelley ended up playing a lot in the fourth preseason game.  

They really need a backup C/OG.

You guys hear/read Junior Galette's interview with Dukes? I've never seen more honest answers, he screwed up bigtime. I'm still not sure McPhee is better to have, given our lack of a speed rush. 

Junior Galette to @chaddukes: "My agent and I thought we could get a lot more money on the open market, which I basically regret right now, because I should be in someone's facility right now. It was clearly a bad call."

Asked about being in talks with the Redskins in August, Galette says he contacted Gruden directly: "That's literally me reaching out to Jay and telling him, like, 'Hey. You know, things didn't really work out. I wish I'd taken the deal that was on the table.'" 

"The last reply I got from [Jay Gruden] was, 'We've got five outside linebackers right now. We're gonna give you a call if something happens.' And I justsaid, 'Okay. Let's stay in touch. Keep grinding.'

Isn’t there some rule that makes it beneficial to sign vets after week one? 
Players on the roster for week 1 have their contracts guaranteed for the season.

Players signed after week 1 can be cut without paying for the remainder of their season.

So there is usually a flurry of “veteran insurance signings” a few days ater week 1 games conclude.

ConnSKINS26 said:
You guys hear/read Junior Galette's interview with Dukes? I've never seen more honest answers, he screwed up bigtime. I'm still not sure McPhee is better to have, given our lack of a speed rush. 

Junior Galette to @chaddukes: "My agent and I thought we could get a lot more money on the open market, which I basically regret right now, because I should be in someone's facility right now. It was clearly a bad call."

Asked about being in talks with the Redskins in August, Galette says he contacted Gruden directly: "That's literally me reaching out to Jay and telling him, like, 'Hey. You know, things didn't really work out. I wish I'd taken the deal that was on the table.'" 

"The last reply I got from [Jay Gruden] was, 'We've got five outside linebackers right now. We're gonna give you a call if something happens.' And I justsaid, 'Okay. Let's stay in touch. Keep grinding.'
Here's an article on the interview

https://thefandc.radio.com/junior-galette-regrets-turning-down-redskins-offer

My quick thoughts on the roster:

The team is getting a lot younger, which is good.  Some positions groups are very young, such as WR and CB.

I am surprised they cut Spaight. 

Keeping Apke is very questionable.  The front office apparently thought he would not make it to the practice squad.

FO apparently thought Hogan would make it to the practice squad and was snatched up by Denver.  I suspected they are really unhappy how that turned out.

I have no problems cutting Bibbs.  And he did make it to the practice squad.  

For all the RBBC talk, it looks like Peterson basically earned the starting gig with a partial week of practice and his showing in the 3rd preseason game.  And Kelley ended up playing a lot in the fourth preseason game.  

They really need a backup C/OG.
The youth at CB scares the hell out of me. At that position one rookie goof can mean a TD. I really would like to know what Breeland did to piss them off enough to not even talk to him.

I'm surprised about Spaight as well. You could feel the energy level go up when he was in the game.

I think Apke was a mistake, and will continue to be a mistake. God help us if they have to play him at S during a game.

It would be nice to still have Hogan. He was developing, not crapping the bed.

I don't think it'll be long until Peterson's hurt or racking up a low YPC. I think he's shot. Hope I'm wrong. I think Kelley will be second to Thompson in combined yards by a RB this year. And with Kelley more involved in the passing game they can both be on the field at the same time. I think we'll see some formations we haven't see before.

I expect the D-line to get gashed on run plays early in the season. I hope it'll just be youth, learning gradually where to be and not be. I think Settle will play a lot.

I expect a little more risk-taking by both the QB and the HC this year. I think Reed will be healthy 6-8 games.

You can just feel the apathy building for Sunday's game. I plan to hit the couch fully disinterested and unprepared, in the spirit of Redskin openers.

Jamison Crowder hasn't practiced all week. Mo Harris is out with a concussion.

You can just feel the apathy building for Sunday's game. 
Yeah the growing apathy over the years is interesting. Local tv ratings are down. Radio shows talk about fewer people calling in. Seats still available for the home opener. For a while I assumed it was me getting older and the circles I run in getting older, but seems to be pretty wide spread. 

You guys are crazy. I'm not apathetic at all. I'm excited. Peterson revenge game! New QB era! New defensive era! Peterson revenge game! 

Did you guys see this stat making the rounds:

Kirk Cousins last 3 season openers: 2 TDs, 5 INTs, 2 fumbles, 0-3

Alex Smith last 3 openers: 9 TDs, 1 INT, 0 fumbles, 3-0

We've upgraded the most important position on the team. We added a HoF RB. Drafted to strength our weakness. Cardinals are in for a world of hurt! 

Bring on the Foosball! 

I’m excited but I’m also content knowing we are rebuilding and not competing this season.  I just want to see growth from our young players. And our coach. 

I hate to say it, but I'm having trouble getting interested in either of my teams this year. I'm quite honestly sick of football news being about things other than football. I don't really have angst against any particular group, be it the players, the NFL, the union, whatever. But I miss being able to watch football news and hear actual football news. Anymore it feels like I'm watching an editorial political news channel much of the time. It's sort of soured me on the whole thing.

Users who are viewing this thread