What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

______ Passed Away Today, RIP (4 Viewers)

Larry King passed.
PIers Morgan, um, tribute to Larry King:

Piers Morgan @piersmorgan

Larry King was a hero of mine until we fell out after I replaced him at CNN & he said my show was ‘like watching your mother-in-law go over a cliff in your new Bentley.’ (He married 8 times so a mother-in-law expert) But he was a brilliant broadcaster & masterful TV interviewer.

https://twitter.com/piersmorgan/status/1352969095990423555

I ran into Larry King several years back, around 2009 or 2010, outside of the Buzz Lightyear ride at Disneyland. I exited the ride, and there he was in line to get in, hunched over, holding this little plastic lazer pistol with both hands. It took me several seconds to understand what I was looking at. 

He was with some younger woman who I later found out wasn’t his current wife. They filed for divorce months later but I guess reconciled.

Then he started doing shows for Russia Today. Crazy life he had.

Larry King passed.
as bad a season for olskool broadcasters as olskool baseballers......

when i was in radio, i had the good fortune to be mentored briefly by Boston's best broadcaster, a fellow named Norm Nathan. as a child of the transistor radio generation,  i adored people who could hold my attention and groove my imagination with the chrome glint of their voice and presence, so this was a special thrill to me. to instantly convert information into perspective is as brilliant & poetic to me as the best athlete or musical soloist. Nathan had it, King had it, fewfewfew people have it anymore. every time i am assaulted by what little powdered oblivion the selftrons in present-day thrones of edification can toss at us, real broadcasters become more gigantic. RIP, sir. Paradise Cloud, Florida, you're on the air -

I ran into Larry King several years back, around 2009 or 2010, outside of the Buzz Lightyear ride at Disneyland. I exited the ride, and there he was in line to get in, hunched over, holding this little plastic lazer pistol with both hands. It took me several seconds to understand what I was looking at. 

He was with some younger woman who I later found out wasn’t his current wife. They filed for divorce months later but I guess reconciled.

Then he started doing shows for Russia Today. Crazy life he had.
That's a great visual. :lol:

Hank Aaron - the real HR king - passed away this morning at age 86. 
this item from Peter King's column touched me this morning:

2. HANK AARON AND THE BROWNS. The man who broke Babe Ruth’s career home-run record, once thought unbreakable died Friday in Atlanta. Aaron was a huge Cleveland Browns fan. So huge that he used to buy single tickets in the Dawg Pound (the end zone with the crazy fans), fly from his Atlanta home to Cleveland on three or four Sunday mornings every autumn, bundle up, sit anonymously and alone in the stands, and fly back to Atlanta Sunday evening. Who knew? Ernie Accorsi, the GM of the Browns in the eighties, did. One summer day in 1986, at Browns training camp in Kirtland, Ohio, Accorsi thought he spied Aaron behind the ropes, watching practice with fans. Accorsi, a huge baseball fan, sidled up near Aaron and introduced himself. “I know you!” Aaron said. “It’s an honor to meet you.” That started a relationship that Accorsi, of course, was thrilled to have. “He told me he sat in the Dawg Pound, alone, for games, and I told him, ‘Hank, we can get you better seats than that.’ He said, ‘I don’t want ‘em. I love sitting there.’ “

Accorsi said Aaron became a Browns fan early in life because they were the first team, under Paul Brown, to sign and feature black stars—Bill Willis, Marion Motley, Len Ford, all of whom earned busts in the Pro Football Hall of Fame. Aaron subscribed to the Cleveland Plain Dealer by mail to follow the team during the season. And once every week or 10 days, Accorsi’s phone would ring, and Aaron would want some scoop on his team. “He’s everything everybody has said about him,” Accorsi said. “A gentleman. Completely humble. And he loved his Browns.”

Cloris Leachman, who played old ladies for 50 years, dead at 94.
too good. many folks know how much i revere the great comic performer Zero Mostel for his touch with the beats, notes, pitch, volume, gestures of comedy. Miss Leachman came the closest to matching him of any other comedic actor i've seen and was a far more adventurous improviser, from what i understand. thankyouthankyouthankyou.  :bow: RIP -

Last edited by a moderator:
This one hurts. Losing him and John Thompson feels like part of my youth is gone. 
I was living in eastern Maryland after I graduated from college.  I lived in the country and had no access to cable TV, but there were plenty of Big East games on TV.  Syracuse, Georgetown, Temple, Villanova - seemed like any game between the two was a dogfight.  I wasn't a college BB fan, but the personalities in the league gave me a reason to watch.

I was living in eastern Maryland after I graduated from college.  I lived in the country and had no access to cable TV, but there were plenty of Big East games on TV.  Syracuse, Georgetown, Temple, Villanova - seemed like any game between the two was a dogfight.  I wasn't a college BB fan, but the personalities in the league gave me a reason to watch.
Yup. 

I grew and live here still but like you, wasn’t a huge college basketball fan but it just seemed like the games were always on. They were prominent in the papers back when we read newspapers.  Big John and the other coaches were all larger than life and those Big East rivalries were epic dogfights. 

Tom Servo said:
I’m sure there were a lot of Temple games on TV, but Temple was never in the Big East for basketball. They were just in the Big East for football. They stayed in the A-10 for basketball until their move to the AAC.

I went to GW in late 90s/early 2000s, and have had GW season tickets basically every year since (welp, until this year). Lots of Chaney memories. Chaney’s Temple teams always in contention while he was there.

ETA: The Chaney versus Calipari clip needs to be in here.

I’m sure there were a lot of Temple games on TV, but Temple was never in the Big East for basketball. They were just in the Big East for football. They stayed in the A-10 for basketball until their move to the AAC.
Oy! That was almost 35 years ago!  Gimme a break on the memory!!!  :P

Didn't the Philadelphia D-1 hoops programs used to play each other regularly -- Penn, Lafayette, St. Joe's, Villanova, and Temple? Wouldn't be surprised if some had memories of seeing Temple-'Nova games on TV.

Didn't the Philadelphia D-1 hoops programs used to play each other regularly -- Penn, Lafayette, St. Joe's, Villanova, and Temple? Wouldn't be surprised if some had memories of seeing Temple-'Nova games on TV.
Yes - LaSalle and not Lafayette though.  I think all of the games were at the palestra.

Yes, it was called "The Big Five" and they would have doubleheaders as the Palestra. Penn, St. Joe's, Villanova, Temple and LaSalle. Not Lafayette, which is not really near Philly. 

After Villanova won their first national title, they left "The Big Five" and were replaced by Drexel. Eventually Villanova returned and it is now the "City Six". 

Users who are viewing this thread