What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Kenyan Drake, LV (1 Viewer)

I just heard of him going for a mid 2nd. And someone was debating Kupp/Jordy for Drake. I said I think I like Drake if they moved Ajayi to feature him. But I'm not sure if that narrative is right or not. My understanding had been that moving Ajayi was partly an endorsement of Drake.
They didn’t move Ajayi to feature Drake. Damian Williams was seeing just as much work, if not more, before he was injured. 

Drake did look better than Williams when they were splitting the work but nevertheless...

Perhaps this has already been discussed, but what rookie pick in dynasty leagues is he worth right now?

Think most were in the late 1st- early 2nd range. 12-14 maybe
I know this isn't popular at FBGs, but I traded the 1.12 and Drake for the 1.07.  I gave up value but I truly believe in this deep RB draft, along with a couple of decent WRs, I'll draft someone at 1.07 that will help my dynasty team more long term than Kenyan Drake 

Last edited by a moderator:
I know this isn't popular but I traded the 1.12 and Drake for the 1.07.  I have up value but I truly believe in this deep RB draft, along with a couple of decent WRs, I'll draft someone at 1.07 that will help my dynasty team more long term than Kenyan Drake 
Unless they give the job to Drake. Then, no, 1.07 probably won't help as much.

Unless they give the job to Drake. Then, no, 1.07 probably won't help as much.
Either way, I like the 1.07 a lot more than Drake and I think most would agree.  However, giving in addition the 1.12 simply is the price to pay to get the 1.07.  I already said I gave up value, but in the long run I'll win that trade if I make the right decision at 1.07 in this deep RB draft.  If a RB I like doesn't fall to me, then someone like James Washington or a couple other WRs I like will, and I prefer them over Drake as well.

Either way, I like the 1.07 a lot more than Drake and I think most would agree.  However, giving in addition the 1.12 simply is the price to pay to get the 1.07.  I already said I gave up value, but in the long run I'll win that trade if I make the right decision at 1.07 in this deep RB draft.  If a RB I like doesn't fall to me, then someone like James Washington or a couple other WRs I like will, and I prefer them over Drake as well.
I understand your thinking but what I saw from Drake (who is only 24 with limited mileage) last year was very intriguing...there really may be something real good there...I don't like a move like this unless you have a very specific target that you just got to have and at the end of the day you maybe able to get the same player at 1.12 as you do at 1.7...there is just way too much downside to this deal for my liking and I don't see the upside being anything too special...

I understand your thinking but what I saw from Drake last year was very intriguing...there really may be something real good there...I don't like a move like this unless you have a very specific target that you just got to have and at the end of the day you maybe able to get the same player at 1.12 as you do at 1.7...there is just way too much downside to this deal for my liking and I don't see the upside being anything too special...
Drake will be his 3rd year in the league and he will be 25 next January.  He had 600+ yards last year with 3 TDs rushing.  Not exactly a world beater.  However, I did like his 4.8 avg and 32 receptions.  I'm not exactly a big fan of Miami's offense going forward either.  In a deep fantasy rookie draft the chances of landing a longer impact player at 1.07 is greater.   I won this league last year and can take some chances with a core of Gurley, M Gordon, Mixon, Evans, and Julio, but I do need to start thinking about adding some youth.  Another reason I prefer the 1.07 to Drake, even though Drake isn't old, I prefer someone 21, not 25 in January.   Again, I know that trade isn't popular with FBGs, but I have my reasons.  I believe the player I would get at 1.12 at RB or WR is much greater risk and I wouldn't be looking for a TE.   After our rookie draft and if I think of it, I'll post who I got at the 1.7, or I may trade up even further to get one of the players I like more than Drake.

Drake will be his 3rd year in the league and he will be 25 next January.  He had 600+ yards last year with 3 TDs rushing.  Not exactly a world beater.  However, I did like his 4.8 avg and 32 receptions.  I'm not exactly a big fan of Miami's offense going forward either.  In a deep fantasy rookie draft the chances of landing a longer impact player at 1.07 is greater.   I won this league last year and can take some chances with a core of Gurley, M Gordon, Mixon, Evans, and Julio, but I do need to start thinking about adding some youth.  Another reason I prefer the 1.07 to Drake, even though Drake isn't old, but I prefer someone 21, not 25 in January.   Again, I know that trade isn't popular with FBGs, but I have my reasons.  After our rookie draft and if I think of it, I'll post who I got at the 1.7, or I may trade up even further to get one of the players I like more than Drake.
If the 1.12 was not involved I would be onboard...it is the fact you are only moving 5 slots up while giving up a young RB that the tends of last year looked excellent...this trade does not make you younger because that 1.12 will be the same age as 1.7...

If the 1.12 was not involved I would be onboard...it is the fact you are only moving 5 slots up while giving up a young RB that the tends of last year looked excellent...this trade does not make you younger because that 1.12 will be the same age as 1.7...
The type of player at 1.12 that carries less risk would be TE or QB (can't believe I said QB).  This is the type of trade I put a lot of thought into and I gave my reasons for it.  I know it isn't popular here, but that's OK, because this is the type of trade that has worked for me in the past.  I simply am not a believer in Kenyan Drake long term and wanted to increase my chances of getting the player I believe will be there at 1.7.  Who knows, perhaps even a surprise. 

The type of player at 1.12 that carries less risk would be TE or QB (can't believe I said QB).  This is the type of trade I put a lot of thought into and I gave my reasons for it.  I know it isn't popular here, but that's OK, because this is the type of trade that has worked for me in the past.  I simply am not a believer in Kenyan Drake long term.
I hear ya...like I said if you have a specific target I fully get-it....if it is generic I just don't like it...

I hear ya...like I said if you have a specific target I fully get-it....if it is generic I just don't like it...
I don't do anything generic.  I have a specific reason and not just one target.  Just look at the options and IMO all are better options than Drake long term.  Barkley, Guice, Jones II, Michel, Chubb, Penny, Ridley, Washington, K Johnson, and Kirk.  That is 10 right there.  It gets a lot murkier after that.  Again, not looking for a TE or QB with a first round pick.

I don't do anything generic.  I have a specific reason and not just one target.  Just look at the options and IMO all are better options than Drake long term.  Barkley, Guice, Jones II, Michel, Chubb, Penny, Ridley, Washington, K Johnson, and Kirk.  That is 10 right there.  It gets a lot murkier after that.  Again, not looking for a TE or QB with a first round pick.
Not sure how you can assign the label that those guys are better long term options than Drake when they have not even been drafted yet. Drake flashed real potential already which you hope a rookie does. So he has already crossed one obstacle off the list (show potential and production). He also is a very strong receiver which suits how the game is played these days. Guice and Chubb seem like 2 downers to me. I don't see anything special about any of the receivers although I think Ridley has a chance to be a good FF WR2-WR3. Again Drake has show upside already, not sure why you would give up on him to rise 5 spots in this draft. I couldn't budge the owner in my league to get Drake.

10...and you had 1.12...good chance you could have one of them and Drake...

Drake will be his 3rd year in the league and he will be 25 next January... 

...25 in January. 
I think we have to stop this. The marker for being "old" in dynasty keeps creeping further and further back as it is - now we need to point out how old he'll be in a year during the discussion. How about we just say he's 24?

Not sure how you can assign the label that those guys are better long term options than Drake when they have not even been drafted yet. Drake flashed real potential already which you hope a rookie does. So he has already crossed one obstacle off the list (show potential and production). He also is a very strong receiver which suits how the game is played these days. Guice and Chubb seem like 2 downers to me. I don't see anything special about any of the receivers although I think Ridley has a chance to be a good FF WR2-WR3. Again Drake has show upside already, not sure why you would give up on him to rise 5 spots in this draft. I couldn't budge the owner in my league to get Drake.
I guess it goes back to his Alabama days.  He couldn't put T J Yeldon on the bench to team with Henry for touches, who by the way people also are negative about.  Drake's senior year he ran 77 times for 412 yards and 1 TD. He had a few moments last year and all of a sudden he's the next great thing (see Thomas Rawls).  Keep in mind he still only had 644 yards and 3 TDs last year.   I'll take my chances with the 1.7.

I remember TJ Yeldon being pretty dang good at Alabama though.  Just because he is poop in the NFL that doesn't really translate as a comparison when they were in college.  Lots of competition over there.

I'm a Drake owner, drafted him as a rookie in dynasty. Tried desperately to get any value by trading him to the Ajayi owner for pennies on the dollar.  He never bit.  Then he flashed and when he gets on the field he is explosive and productive.  I'm holding now.

I think Drake could be just fine and I have him in a few leagues.  However, temper expectations.  Every time a RB shows anything people seem to anoint them as the next great thing.   I seem to remember the same thing about Thomas Rawls recently and you can't give him away now.  Interesting sentence from Rotoworld - Alabama alum should be drafted as a borderline RB1 in fantasy leagues next summer.

borderline?

I think Drake could be just fine and I have him in a few leagues.  However, temper expectations.  Every time a RB shows anything people seem to anoint them as the next great thing.   I seem to remember the same thing about Thomas Rawls recently.  Interesting sentence from Rotoworld - Alabama alum should be drafted as a borderline RB1 in fantasy leagues next summer.

borderline?
Kevan barlow anyone?

Well, obviously the guy is terrible. Complete flash in the pan. What you may have seen last year out of him was a complete mirage. Sell for pennies.

I guess it goes back to his Alabama days.  He couldn't put T J Yeldon on the bench to team with Henry for touches, who by the way people also are negative about.  Drake's senior year he ran 77 times for 412 yards and 1 TD. He had a few moments last year and all of a sudden he's the next great thing (see Thomas Rawls).  Keep in mind he still only had 644 yards and 3 TDs last year.   I'll take my chances with the 1.7.
Weren't you like the biggest supporter of Yeldon before he was drafted?

Weren't you like the biggest supporter of Yeldon before he was drafted?
I don't recall that, but if I did I think all of us can admit mistakes..  I never drafted him in any of my dynasty leagues, but did draft him in one devy league league when he was an underclassman at Alabama.

I think Drake could be just fine and I have him in a few leagues.  However, temper expectations.  Every time a RB shows anything people seem to anoint them as the next great thing.   I seem to remember the same thing about Thomas Rawls recently and you can't give him away now.  Interesting sentence from Rotoworld - Alabama alum should be drafted as a borderline RB1 in fantasy leagues next summer.

borderline?
For every Rawls that flashes than disappoints there is a Priest Holmes that becomes a stud...either side of this can easily make an argument (and a very good one) all day long...all depends on how you feel about him...at the end of last season I thought he looked great...he played as well as any RB did against the Pats all year...you may have seen differently...my issue is not so much cashing in on him as you should if you are not sold on him...just don't like the value you got on this deal...hope it works out for you...

For every Rawls that flashes than disappoints there is a Priest Holmes that becomes a stud...either side of this can easily make an argument (and a very good one) all day long...all depends on how you feel about him...at the end of last season he looked great...he played as well as any RB did against the Pats all year...you may have seen differently...my issue is not so much cashing in on him as you should if you are not sold on him...just don't like the value you got on this deal...hope it works out for you...
...and I admitted with the first post I gave more value to move to 1.7 because I'm not sold on Drake long term.  Like you said, hope it works out for me.

I personally like Drake but he has question marks around him. If you like 7 specific guys, I can see why you made the move. I personally owuldnt have but that's just me. You gotta stick by your guns

I've said before that Drake is one of the most interesting cases to me.  He looks special as all get-out to my eyes.  He did even when he was splitting time with Williams last year and even better when he got a chance to run with the load.

Of course he certainly wouldn't be the first guy to look great on fresh legs at the end of the year and turn into nothing.  I was offered an early 2nd (almost guaranteed 2.01, which it did end up being) for him before Williams got hurt so obviously someone else in my league is a believer too.  My first inkling was to reject but then I looked around for more info on Drake.  The thing that struck me was that in all of his scouting report, every blurb ever written about him, not one person ever mentioned even an inkling that he might one day be a featured back.  Every single piece of text ever written about him that I could find didn't just claim he would be a passing down back at best, they treated it as an assumption and didn't even consider the alternatives.

This was weird because he has the size to be more.  I'm not sure why it's always been assumed that he would never be more.  Even tiny guys like McCaffrey and Bush had people speculating that they could be more as prospects.

Then on top of that we had Gase continuing to split time with him even though he was clearly outplaying Williams, so I sold.  And now I'm scared.  Scared that he's going to blow up and be a fantasy stud on my favorite real life team and I'm stuck holding this lousy rookie pick that could be great or could be nothing.

His value could drop at any minute if Miami brings someone in or drafts someone.  I don't think moving up to 1.07 with him is necessarily bad value but like my trade, it could be one of those trades you look back on in 3 years and think man, what if I had just held him.

Of course, it could be the complete opposite.  Damn you fantasy football.

Massive stud potential here. Most interesting buy low stud candidate in fantasy right now. 

FreeBaGeL said:
I've said before that Drake is one of the most interesting cases to me.  He looks special as all get-out to my eyes.  He did even when he was splitting time with Williams last year and even better when he got a chance to run with the load.

Of course he certainly wouldn't be the first guy to look great on fresh legs at the end of the year and turn into nothing.  I was offered an early 2nd (almost guaranteed 2.01, which it did end up being) for him before Williams got hurt so obviously someone else in my league is a believer too.  My first inkling was to reject but then I looked around for more info on Drake.  The thing that struck me was that in all of his scouting report, every blurb ever written about him, not one person ever mentioned even an inkling that he might one day be a featured back.  Every single piece of text ever written about him that I could find didn't just claim he would be a passing down back at best, they treated it as an assumption and didn't even consider the alternatives.

This was weird because he has the size to be more.  I'm not sure why it's always been assumed that he would never be more.  Even tiny guys like McCaffrey and Bush had people speculating that they could be more as prospects.

Then on top of that we had Gase continuing to split time with him even though he was clearly outplaying Williams, so I sold.  And now I'm scared.  Scared that he's going to blow up and be a fantasy stud on my favorite real life team and I'm stuck holding this lousy rookie pick that could be great or could be nothing.

His value could drop at any minute if Miami brings someone in or drafts someone.  I don't think moving up to 1.07 with him is necessarily bad value but like my trade, it could be one of those trades you look back on in 3 years and think man, what if I had just held him.

Of course, it could be the complete opposite.  Damn you fantasy football.
I think some of the assumption was based on him never being more than a change of pace guy in college. Of course he played with Lacy, Yeldon and Henry(all 2nd round picks), so its not like snaps were easy to come by.

You could be onto something with the fresh legs late in the year thing. He looked good, but not great in my opinion. Oddly enough, I was pretty underwhelmed by his receiving work, considering that most viewed his as a 3rd down guy, though to be fair, Damian Williams is a pretty good pass catching RB. 

I picked him up mid season last year and i thought to myself watching those games that this guy is really good.  

His current value seems to be in the 1.10 range. I would think anyone you can get in that range is going to have their own question marks about workload/opportunity. 

I was really hoping Miami signed a guy like Jeremy hill in FA and maybe they still do but that would maybe mean they don't plan on looking at a rookie in the draft until late and then I wouldn't be worried abt Drake losing time/carries. Otherwise Miami probably takes a rb by round 3 and then it all comes down to who Gase likes more and he didn't want to give the reigns to him earlier so that would worry me a little and probably drop his value pretty quickly right away

I would still hold right now though cause I do think he could be a top 10 back with his big play and pass catching ability

I was really hoping Miami signed a guy like Jeremy hill in FA and maybe they still do but that would maybe mean they don't plan on looking at a rookie in the draft until late and then I wouldn't be worried abt Drake losing time/carries. Otherwise Miami probably takes a rb by round 3 and then it all comes down to who Gase likes more and he didn't want to give the reigns to him earlier so that would worry me a little and probably drop his value pretty quickly right away

I would still hold right now though cause I do think he could be a top 10 back with his big play and pass catching ability
Agreed...I like him as well but who they bring in has such a huge influence on his value...a guy like Hill would be perfect because if Drake is what we think he is he will be the leader in that backfield...on the flipside if they bring in a rookie like Guice than all bets are off...it's gonna be real interesting to see who he eventually shares the backfield with...

well, as a drake owner in one dyno....I see all these moves that the fish have made...seem like the actually improved the Oline. but lost on D, and replaced landry with two Wrs....

they have to add at least one RB from a team depth perspective. If they trade up and take a QB, that's draft capital they lose, now maybe they add a blount/gore type. But if they take a rookie in round 3/4 I don think its panic time....take one of guice/chubb/Michel then yeah maybe its not gonna work out.

The other looming person is CJ Anderson, while I think if hes cut or the fish move a 5th rounder for him, he would see carries he isn't that durable and I think drake would out perform him....

Agreed...I like him as well but who they bring in has such a huge influence on his value...a guy like Hill would be perfect because if Drake is what we think he is he will be the leader in that backfield...on the flipside if they bring in a rookie like Guice than all bets are off...it's gonna be real interesting to see who he eventually shares the backfield with...
Yeah Guice would be bad but i also don't see them getting him unless they take him in the first. I'd say any of 2nd to 3rd guys like Michel, Chubb, penny, and jones would be pretty bad. Guy like freeman or Kerryon Johnson could scare me a little but also wouldn't be the end of the world for me

Do people think the Dolphins will draft a RB still? Be crazy not too, right? Does the Gore signing mean much?
Gore has been a solid player for a long time and will likely be good enough this season as well in a time share. Besides Gore and Drake the Dolphins have a couple RB I am unfamiliar with out of Louisville, Senorise Perry and Brandon Radcliff.

I would expect the Dolphins to draft a RB but they have so many needs on both sides of the ball I doubt it is a high pick.

Here are the Dolphins draft picks right now

First round - pick 11 - 11th overall

Second round - pick 10 - 42nd overall

Third round - pick 9 - 73rd overall

Fourth round - pick 11 - 111th overall*

Fourth round - pick 31 - 131st overall (from New England via Philadelphia)*

Sixth round - pick 9 - 183rd overall**

Seventh round - pick 5 - 223rd overall (from Tampa Bay)***

Seventh round - pick 11 - 229th overall

I could see them possibly using one of their 4th round picks on a RB if a guy they really like is still there. I think the first 3 picks should be focused on offensive line and defensive players since they likely won't be drafting a QB (but probably should).

I see Gore doing a lot of dirty work but Drake getting nice opportunities for big plays. Gore has a lot of experience that Drake could learn from about being a pro that maybe helps his development.

I could see them possibly using one of their 4th round picks on a RB if a guy they really like is still there. I think the first 3 picks should be focused on offensive line and defensive players since they likely won't be drafting a QB (but probably should).
They did sign a couple of free agent o-linemen.

I think they could take a QB with their first pick.

Gase loves him some CJA.  They made an offer to him last year that Denver matched.  They had a trade worked out this offseason for him where they were sending JuWan James (OT) to Denver for him, but backed out last second.  The Gore signing may block a CJA signing, but it shouldn't.  Gore is 90.  Gase knows CJA, and vice versa from Denver.  If they got him, it would definitely hurt Drake a lot more than Gore would.

They did sign a couple of free agent o-linemen.

I think they could take a QB with their first pick.
I wouldn't say it's out of the realm of possibility, but they did just restructure Tannehill's contract converting a bunch of money to an up front signing bonus and increasing his cap hit substantially in 2019 & 2020. Obviously that was for some salary cap relief to afford Landry's tag, but I don't think they do that if they didn't have plans on sticking with him at least for this year.

Users who are viewing this thread