What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Otis fad diet thread — yoga, fasting, and kevzilla walking on🚶‍♂️ (14 Viewers)

the eliptical is my answer i wanted to give it some time before i posted this but it is like a miracle cure for my back limiting my working out 1 i can do it without pain and 2 if i go on the eliptical my back stops hurting and i normally get 5 to 6 hours out of it before it starts hurting again  i have probably gained about 10 pounds in the last month or so since my back went to hell but now i am back baby lets see how fast i can drop 10 take that to the bank bromigos 

the eliptical is my answer i wanted to give it some time before i posted this but it is like a miracle cure for my back limiting my working out 1 i can do it without pain and 2 if i go on the eliptical my back stops hurting and i normally get 5 to 6 hours out of it before it starts hurting again  i have probably gained about 10 pounds in the last month or so since my back went to hell but now i am back baby lets see how fast i can drop 10 take that to the bank bromigos 
Seating incumbent bike would be great for you as well. Helped when I was recovering from sciatica 

Did a casual 28 miles of riding this weekend, but ate a huge burrito and drank way too much.

On a positive note, the ride I did yesterday I rode with my wife and our neighbors to tackle one of our local climbs that our neighborhood uses as a benchmark.  It's 1.5 miles of a near constant 7-8% grade.  Both wives made it up without stopping to rest.  Their time was around the same as when I first conquered this climb.  Every time I have ridden it my heart pounds through my chest, my legs burn, and I'm a sweaty mess.  Riding at their pace (my former pace) I didn't even break a sweat.  10 months ago I would have been gasping for air.

I tend to lose sight of how far I've come because it never feels like it gets any easier, I just get faster.  Even if the weight loss has slowed down my cardio and overall fitness is the best it's been in over 10 years.

Week 0:  Goal - lose 18 pounds

Week 1:  -5.4 pounds, -5.4 pounds total

Week 2:  -0.4 pounds, -5.8 pounds total

I knew it wouldn't be good.  I went way off the rails last Friday-Sunday (Oats>hai).  This week isn't starting out much better as I have three big stressers in my life that I need to get settled, and it's making me want pizza and wine.  A couple of those should be worked out one way or another in the next 24 hours or so, and I hope to get back on it then.  Actually today I am eating well, but I want wine and I don't want yoga.  Yesterday I didn't want yoga either, but I did force myself into it.  Today, notsomuch.

Week 3:  -2.2 pounds, -8 pounds total

Back at it!  I'm surprised to have lost that much given a couple of bad days, but as DocHolliday recently pointed out, a bad day or two per week can be offset by doing well the rest of the time.  W00t.

Adriene's new free session for this month came out today.  It's a 12-minute core conditioner.  Is Adriene just dialing it in on the free practices these days?  Well, at least she does her own moves - suck it, Tim!

This was a good one if you're super-pressed for time but just want some quick core work.  She doesn't waste time with a bunch of breathing or stillness at the beginning or end.  Bam-bam-bam!  There were a couple of moves I hadn't seen in her prior videos, so that was fun.

Just got off the mat from doing Yoga with Tim Transform Day 17.  

Eh, I didn't really like this one.  He did it himself, but he was very focused on making sure poses were correct (straight back) and used two blocks for most of the moves.  I only have one block and didn't know I needed a second.  So that kinda sucked.  Still a good workout.  I did notice in this session, since he was doing the work himself he was harder to hear at times.  So now I don't like it when he has someone else do his sessions but I also don't like it when he does his sessions.  Maybe I'm just hyper critical?

Had a single drink last night after a stressful work day yesterday, and ended up right at my calorie goal.  

Keep up the good work everyone.

The bolded might be the most impressive thing I've read in this thread in a long, long time.  I can do zero pretty easily, but I can't remember the last time I had just one drink.
We've discussed that ad nauseum in this thread.  This time was a combination of a bad day but also wanting to keep calories in check.  

Just got off the mat.  Did Yoga with Tim Transform Day 18.

This one had a slow start using a strap around the arms to activate different muscles in the arms.  It seemed to work and feel interesting.  Then the workout was fine.  Lots of vinyasa, warriors, chair poses, side planks, etc.  I was hoping we would get into wheel again, but he stopped at bridge.  Oh well.  

Stayed off the booze and significantly under my calories yesterday.  

Keep up the good work.  

Keep up the good work! Elliptical is a great low impact full body workout for getting everything in motion. I use a spin bike for a similar reason as a have had a bum knee since grade school. Same concept, if I don't do a workout every few days it starts feeling weaker or less stable, but a couple workouts a week and its a champ. 

Have you considered doing any shorter mini workout more often during the day just to keep thing loose? Say if your working from home or sitting a lot, just pop on and do a 10 minute cruise on the elliptical to get everything going and then go back to your day. I do a similar thing with walks during my breaks while working at home otherwise my back hates me.

💪

Just got off the mat.  Did Yoga with Tim Transform Day 18.

This one had a slow start using a strap around the arms to activate different muscles in the arms.  It seemed to work and feel interesting.  Then the workout was fine.  Lots of vinyasa, warriors, chair poses, side planks, etc.  I was hoping we would get into wheel again, but he stopped at bridge.  Oh well.  

Stayed off the booze and significantly under my calories yesterday.  

Keep up the good work.  
I meant to look up what a wheel pose was after you mentioned it before, but I forgot.  Just looked, and it's basically a backbend?

Yes, like this.

It's pretty darn hard, and can be rough on the neck if you have neck or upper spine issues.

Between being able to to wheel and crow poses, this Tim series has been worth it to me.
I'll try a wheel at the end of whatever I do today.  Looks like Adriene's calendar is a 23-minute "Yoga for Insecurity," which I'll probably do despite not feeling insecure.  I also did her "Yoga for Social Anxiety" one that was on the calendar yesterday despite not having that, either.  This must be mental health week with Adriene.

Yoga with Tim Transform Day 19 in the books.  

Two in a row that Tim did himself.  This one was nothing special, but there was a crow pose that I held for a bit before falling forward and almost landing on my face.  Had to stop the video for a second and actually hold it to remind myself I could.  Other than that it was side planks, core work and the usual flows.  Just under 30 mins total.  He did spend a little extra time early on making sure poses are correct, which seems to be his theme currently.  

Was under calories and off booze yesterday.  Keep up the good work.  

krista4 said:
I'll try a wheel at the end of whatever I do today.  Looks like Adriene's calendar is a 23-minute "Yoga for Insecurity," which I'll probably do despite not feeling insecure.  I also did her "Yoga for Social Anxiety" one that was on the calendar yesterday despite not having that, either.  This must be mental health week with Adriene.
I read the link you provided on "Wheel" and decided I should dip into it slowly, so yesterday after the official practice I did it but keeping the top of my head on the mat.  Today I'll lift it a little more and try to hit it gradually.

By the way, it turns out "Yoga for Insecurity" means "here's a ####-ton of straight-arm, forearm, and side planks."  Decent workout.

I read the link you provided on "Wheel" and decided I should dip into it slowly, so yesterday after the official practice I did it but keeping the top of my head on the mat.  Today I'll lift it a little more and try to hit it gradually.

By the way, it turns out "Yoga for Insecurity" means "here's a ####-ton of straight-arm, forearm, and side planks."  Decent workout.
Good idea.  You can do bridge to build up to it as well.  But yeah, wheel is a little scary since if your arms give way you will crash onto your head.  But also if you release out of it slowly then stopping on your head is recommended.  Wheel is also a very early pose to get into forearm balancing and head stands.  

Hey gang I just had an amazing discovery: if you drink two bottles of wine and eat pizza and chocolate cookies on Friday Jr., then you feel terrible on Friday morning. 

Why do I do this?  I don’t know but it’s stupid. I don’t really even enjoy it much and then I feel awful in the morning. 

Anyway, going out for tacos with the Mrs for lunch today (a splurge that I actually enjoy), and that will then round out my 24 hours off the clock this week. Then it’s back at it. 

This wouldn't be the end of the world, if Otis actually could get back at it through Mother's Day weekend. I would hang a -2000 line against that, but I'm pretty sure I'd still get one-way action.

Pace this morning was 18:53.

Last edited by a moderator:
My latest addiction appears to be sugar.  I was good all week and didn’t snack at all after dinner.  On Friday Jr, I decided to have one cupcake leftover from my daughter’s birthday. That led to a small bowl of ice cream.  That led to a bigger bowl of ice cream.  Stayed off the booze at least.

Hey gang I just had an amazing discovery: if you drink two bottles of wine and eat pizza and chocolate cookies on Friday Jr., then you feel terrible on Friday morning. 

Why do I do this?  I don’t know but it’s stupid. I don’t really even enjoy it much and then I feel awful in the morning. 

Anyway, going out for tacos with the Mrs for lunch today (a splurge that I actually enjoy), and that will then round out my 24 hours off the clock this week. Then it’s back at it. 
:blowsout:

This remind me of my good frend fat tonks who was a America Indian.  Tonks mom was from India and his dad was a Indian so we called him hafnhaf.  Hafnhaf drive the oober and he meet lots of people who don't wanna walk like him.  One of his regular was a big man named Columbuns. Tonks drive Columbuns every day from his house to the Taco bell and they talk about all 5he good thing that they did that week. 

But then one day tonks say I don't want to drive with Columbuns anymore he is not my frend. And I say why not you alway go with him in the car. And he said every day I always go to the same taco bell and get the chupa cobra with sour creams and fire and Taco Tony call it the hafnhaf like me and I feel so good.  And I tell Columbuns to tried it and he said oh this is good and he get it every day with hot sauce. 

Well one day Taco Tony he get the big promotion to go to the Chillis and he makes the big tacos now and they don't even have to ask for sour cream its free and its really the good life.  But when we go to Taco bell, Columbuns says I want a chupa lupa with sour cream and hot sauce and the new guy says that sound great and he said thanks I call it the Columbuns.  And I say no Columbuns you can't order that thats the hafnhaf like me and he said no way ho se that's the Columbuns I discover it like my great granfather Chris Columbuns you cant order that unless you call it the Columbuns 

So now Tonks and Columbuns they fight and he won't drive the oober for him an Columbuns have to walk to get his chipolata because nobody drive him there and now Columbuns get skinny becsu he do all the walking and fat tonks get skinny because he can't afford a Taco bell and I got fat eating hafnhafs because tonks was right they are pretty good and the moral to story is don't let your friends tell you not to eat oompa chaloompas because they are really good ool

Bad day on Tues but I also think the app wasn't syncing correctly because on Wednesday I had to resync everything to my IPHONE health app to my Myfitpal app too. I felt so bad with myself I went home and had a chicken salad and bunch of other fun healthy stuff added. Put some Salad dressing very minimal to take out the blandness and woofed that down. Yesterday I had a very good day and Wednesday wasn't so bad. 

trying to have a really good day with tomorrow coming up a bad day. Thinking if I do drink any beer I'm going with some Michelob light or Coron Premier. Both under 90 Cals. Gonna try to eat as healthy as possible but with the event catered I think I'm gonna be doing a lot of guesstimating. 

Overall I'm feeling really good. As some of you know I have Aspergers so this whole thing Is a challenge but I do like the whole getting on some sort of schedule thing when it comes to what I'm eating. Yesterday was a really great day and I had two Reese's cups with my lunch as my dessert as I was on track. By the end of yesterday with dinner I had over 300 Cals left. I had worked off over 220 yesterday from all the walking and running around at work I did. I'm usually one who will quit if I don't get results to something right away but I've surprised myself here. 

I use to have big time stomach issues/constipation in the morning which led me to have issues getting up and now those are mostly gone. Also with less sugary drinks I've found myself more wide awake and not as tired during the day despite the fact my sleep is all out of wack. 

Posting helped me stick with it the first time. So here we go again. 

This week:  251 lbs       Last week:  254 lbs

Change:  -3 lbs               Loss to date:  30 lbs

------------------------------

Target weight:  207 lbs

March 12:   281 lbs  
March 19:   274 lbs
March 26:   270 lbs
April 2:       265 lbs
April 9:       262 lbs
April 16:     259 lbs
April 23:     256 lbs
April 30:     254 lbs
May 7:       251 lbs
Lost 3 lbs. Eating more was the right call. I felt better and the weight came off easier.  Currently doing about 2800-3000 calories for two days, and then about 1800 calories the other 5. And exercise about 1500-1600 calories, 6 days a week. 

Doing a second bike ride in place of walking for a couple days. Got a blister on the side of my heel from my stupid office chair.   :rolleyes:  

Off to get some blackened chicken royale as a reward. Today is rest day and one of the 2800 calorie days.

Ok.  Back at it.  Out of the 24 hour vortex.  Have a headache and feel pretty crappy.  Turns out lots of alcohol and sugar and overeating makes your body feel bad WHO WOULD HAVE THOUGHT.

Back to Noom, back to logging meals.  Boy, imagine how much faster my progress would be if I just eliminated these 24-48 hour benders I seem to have each weekend?   But staying positive.  It’s all going in the right direction.  And as long as that’s happening, it’s all good. 

Pace this morning was 18:53. The weather all week has been lovely and cool on the don patrol, an extra week of Spring gifted to us. We've been promised considerable rain to start next week, though.

Otis, this can be done, and GregR and I have shown. The universe (mostly) moves in cycles, and they can be ridden. The scale says I lost 3.6 pounds this week. Of course, it said I gained 3.1 pounds last week, but the trend is favorable. Now off for migas and grocery shopping with a full stomach.

Had my big cheat day didn't get steps in either. Taking it easy tonight. Lunch was catered by an Italian restaurant with Salmon stuffed in Crab, Bruschetta, Cheese Ravioli, a pasta, and some Tomato, Garlic and Basil thing. I had to guesstimate to my best ability. Had a light breakfast with Yogurt today and my coffee and that was it 

Yesterday stayed just about on budget (ok within a hundred calories…), had two 95 calorie slim hazy IPAs.  Gym this morning for a good full body lift. Eating well. Going to a family party, will have a couple drinks but stay on budget.  Keeping at it. Summer is here and there’s little time to lose. Let’s go let’s go. 

Did yoga with Tim on Friday, as well as two sessions today. 

Friday was Transform day 19.  It was a 'mobility' day.  Just some simple arm movements that didn't seem hard, but actually were.  The simple little moves really made my arms/shoulders hurt over the weekend.  The movements were for targeting the muscles around the rotator.

Today I did Transform Day 20, which was strength day, and Transform Day 21, which was a breathing exercise.  The strength one was heavy on the legs and they fill like jell-o now.  

One thing I will give Tim credit for, both days 19 and 20 are designed to complement regular yoga practice and target muscles that sometimes do not get enough work doing just yoga.  I really like that part of his programs.  He acknowledges yoga is not a panacea for strength/mobility.  

I drank too much this weekend, and ate poorly at two family gatherings.  Back on the 'horse' today.  

Keep up the good work!

Otis said:
Noom has been pretty solid in getting me out of this rut.  I even have been having a glass or two of wine at night, and a few Hershey kisses or crackers etc.  Making it all work.  

I can smell sub-220 like a warm fresh-baked brownie. 
I signed up for Noom last week too, I like it so far. It's nothing groundbreaking/that different than MyFitnessPal but I like the red/yellow/green way of looking at things. For the weekend I basically planned out my days based on those categories to enable to me stay within them but also do what I want to do. I always eat very well and exercise during the week but come Friday through Sunday afternoon, it's a blizzard of beer and overeating. I'm at a similar weight to you Otis, at 227 at present - been as high as 240 and ideal is probably around 200, though 210-215 is my short term target.

I also like how Noom considers exercise in terms of the calorie budget - it basically gives you back half of what you earn, so if I go for a run that in theory burns 600 calories, it gives 300 extra. I think this is helpful in letting you reward yourself for the exercise but also not go off the rails with the health halo effect of "oh I ran 3K, I can eat that whole pizza".

The big thing for me is beer, I won't give it up, I don't want to give it up - but by logging the calories from it honestly, I have switched to lighter beers and probably a couple less than I'd normally have

If anyone's interested, my weekend looked like this:

Friday - 2050 calorie allowance (ran 5K and walked 9.5K - walked to the pub and back to pick up some curbside beer for weekend), 1763 calories used

• Green 405 calories - lentil soup, banana, grapes, coffee
  • Yellow 910 calories - 4 slices thin crust pizza, one 4% beer
  • Red 448 calories - 2 x IPA beer

Saturday - 1780 calorie allowance (did 40 mins circuit training), 1757 calories used

• Green 346 calories - spaghetti squash, homemade marinara sauce, apple, whole wheat english muffin
  • Yellow 948 calories - 2 eggs, bahn mi sandwich, plant based chicken breast, helles lager
  • Red 463 calories - margarine, 2x IPA beer 

Sunday - 1790  calorie allowance (ran 5.5 km), 1724 calories used

• Green 782 calories - whole wheat english muffin, lentil soup, roasted potatoes, black bean burger patty
  • Yellow 787 calories - plant based sausage patty, one egg, 1/2 cup pasta salad, 2x pilsner, 2x light beer
  • Red 155 calories - burger bun, margarine
So, the obvious takeaway is maybe don't have ten beers over the weekend but for me, it's the fact that I was able to still have those beers, still have pizza Friday, still have chicken parm Saturday (though on Spag squash), still have a mothers day BBQ Sunday and keep it within a moderate range. Usually I weigh in about 4 lbs heavier on Monday than I was Friday morning, today I was about the same (within a pound) and now during the week when I won't have ten beers, I can get some losses going.

One thing I will give Tim credit for, both days 19 and 20 are designed to complement regular yoga practice and target muscles that sometimes do not get enough work doing just yoga.  I really like that part of his programs.  He acknowledges yoga is not a panacea for strength/mobility.  
This part sounds appealing.

Back at it!  I'm surprised to have lost that much given a couple of bad days, but as DocHolliday recently pointed out, a bad day or two per week can be offset by doing well the rest of the time.  W00t.

Week 4:  -1.2 pounds, -9.2 pounds total

Well, this was a weird week.

On Thursday, I shut down my walking temporarily.  I have been experiencing some significant pain in my right knee, to the extent it interfered with sleep, and I wondered if all the miles on hard surfaces were to blame.  I also shut down yoga just for one day to give a full rest.  Went back to yoga on Friday but then...

BAM!  Got hit with COVID.  Well isn't this fun.  So since my Friday yoga I've had no activity.  Zero.  On the other hand, the COVID caused me not to eat anything but a small amount of rice over the course of two days.

In summary, a lot less activity last week, but a couple of low-calorie days to supplement some high-cal ones earlier in the week (Wednesday was a disaster for food/drink and is probably also when I caught the virus), led to a moderate loss.  I'll take any progress during this odd week.  And hey, I'm halfway to my goal!

Last edited by a moderator:

Week 4:  -1.2 pounds, -9.2 pounds total

Well, this was a weird week.

On Thursday, I shut down my walking temporarily.  I have been experiencing some significant pain in my right knee, to the extent it interfered with sleep, and I wondered if all the miles on hard surfaces were to blame.  I also shut down yoga just for one day to give a full rest.  Went back to yoga on Friday but then...

BAM!  Got hit with COVID.  Well isn't this fun.  So since my Friday yoga I've had no activity.  Zero.  On the other hand, the COVID caused me not to eat anything but a small amount of rice over the course of two days.

In summary, a lot less activity last week, but a couple of low-calorie days to supplement some high-cal ones earlier in the week (Wednesday was a disaster for food/drink and is probably also when I caught the virus), led to a moderate loss.  I'll take any progress during this odd week.  And hey, I'm halfway to my goal!
Glad to hear you're doing ok with this virus but sorry and scary to hear you got sick.   

Did a big (as in a lot of people) family bike ride for Mother's Day.  13.5 miles, burned a little over 800 calories.  The grandparents were all riding e-bikes.  My daughter is riding a single speed 20" bike, so she was a bit outclassed.  I got my workout in by pushing her up the hills and when she was gassed at the end (it was a hot day) I pushed her so should could just coast and I ended up setting the pace for the group.  Definitely got my heartrate going having to push an extra 60-70 pounds of dead weight at the end of the ride.

Users who are viewing this thread