What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Otis fad diet thread — yoga, fasting, and kevzilla walking on🚶‍♂️ (9 Viewers)

That's amazing Greg 

I'll mention again that when you lose a lot of weight fast, you are more likely to end up with loose skin that you can't get rid of except surgically. What I've read suggests that pausing and letting your skin tighten and adjust to your new weight gives you a chance to build a little muscle, fill out your flesh costume and then get back to business.  I've been doing this gradually and have gone from 284.6 to the low 200s with some ups and downs during that time, and have apparently avoided that so far although I don't know what I'll look like when I eventually hit my target weight.  Is it worth it to you to hit the pause button soon, now that you're down almost 50 lbs/over 15 percent of your starting weight?
That's why I've been trying to up my calories, etc. Last time around I actually lost weight faster but then I plateaued when I got shin splints and couldn't ride for an extended time.  I didn't end up with any loose skin, and I wasn't too worried by a 2-3 lb loss each week. But 10 the last two weeks does worry me a little. Some of it was probably water weight as I was a little less hydrated than normal coming out of that week post-surgery. 

But yeah, that is something I might consider, maybe just maintain for a week or two to help give my body some time to catch up.  I feel like I'm about where I was last time though. I recall feeling like I had this bit of a flap where the belly used to be, but what I read then was you'll get that because there's still fat in it, but once it clears out it'll be more likely to go away. Which ended up happening then when I did lose more.

My pace was 18:07 this morning, though it didn't feel like I was killing myself. I do a little better on Saturdays, when I have more time between waking and walking.

The scale says I lost the 2.2 pounds I gained last week, onward to my doctor visit on Tuesday.

Innuendo aside my self discipline has been lagging recently maybe I should do this one later 
I actually enjoyed this one a lot.  46 minutes, and it seems the "discipline" part was holding poses a lot longer than you usually might, without losing focus.  It felt very good.  There was nothing really challenging other than a part where you go from a lunge into an Eagle pose.  I felt like the Karate Kid!

And...are you ready for this...somehow she tricked me into doing Crow for the first time.  Held it for a second or two at most.  I tried to re-create after the session and had no idea how I got there, so I might only ever do it in this particular practice.

Hey everyone  :bye:

I recently went to the doctor and found that my blood pressure and heart rate were higher than normal -- a predictable consequence of eating/drinking a ton during the pandemic. I'd like to nip this in the bud before something serious happens, so I'm working to improve my diet & exercise routine. This week I started getting up early to go on walks every morning which has been genuinely enjoyable. On the diet front, I frequent the fast food joints by my house far too often on my way to/from work, so the first step will be to cut that out. I did a much better job of cooking breakfast at home and bringing lunch to work this week, so I only had one (1) Sonic chicken sandwich as a treat on Friday. 

It's a solid start but I've gone on health kicks and fallen off the wagon many times before -- so now it's a matter of staying the course. Hoping this thread will help with that. :)  

I recently went to the doctor and found that my blood pressure and heart rate were higher than normal -- a predictable consequence of eating/drinking a ton during the pandemic. I'd like to nip this in the bud before something serious happens, so I'm working to improve my diet & exercise routine. This week I started getting up early to go on walks every morning which has been genuinely enjoyable. On the diet front, I frequent the fast food joints by my house far too often on my way to/from work, so the first step will be to cut that out. I did a much better job of cooking breakfast at home and bringing lunch to work this week, so I only had one (1) Sonic chicken sandwich as a treat on Friday. 

It's a solid start but I've gone on health kicks and fallen off the wagon many times before -- so now it's a matter of staying the course. Hoping this thread will help with that. :)  
Welcome!  Sounds like you’re off to a great start.  Finding exercise you actually enjoy is huge.

krista4 said:
I actually enjoyed this one a lot.  46 minutes, and it seems the "discipline" part was holding poses a lot longer than you usually might, without losing focus.  It felt very good.  There was nothing really challenging other than a part where you go from a lunge into an Eagle pose.  I felt like the Karate Kid!

And...are you ready for this...somehow she tricked me into doing Crow for the first time.  Held it for a second or two at most.  I tried to re-create after the session and had no idea how I got there, so I might only ever do it in this particular practice.
I clicked on it, figuring to give it a try.

She said it was a juicy one and I was out.  

krista4 said:

Yeah that lunge eagle thing was tough.  Surprisingly no core.  Also surprisingly inappropriate dead dog chat.  What was that. 

Welcome. Git er done. 

Innuendo aside my self discipline has been lagging recently maybe I should do this one later 
I’m with you. Past week in my house was everyone off the rails. Way too much booze in recent weeks. Today I drank a ton of water, and though I was considering starting a fast today, I instead had a salad and two cookies.  Didn’t drink alcohol. So, a good day. Hoping to string together a bunch like this, and maybe some fasting days in there too. 

The thing that’s helped me most likely to tame my appetite, both on fasting and just low cal days — I carry a big 40oz thermos of cold water with me all day.  It’s easy to go through two or three without thinking as you go through the day. And I feel less urge to race to the kitchen at night die a cold adult beverage when I’m also sitting there drinking tons of water. I recommend. Going to keep doing that and see how it helps. 

I rarely get a proper night's sleep on Sunday, and my walk on Monday suffers as a result. Pace was 19:18. Still, I got out there and moved for almost an hour, much preferable to blowing it off.
If you have any questions about proper sleep and exercise regimens you should probably ask Otis 

I am not an Otis and this is not Otis advice.  Consult your Otis before beginning this or any Otis program 

Last edited by a moderator:
Week 0:  Goal - lose 18 pounds

Week 1:  -5.4 pounds, -5.4 pounds total

Week 2:  -0.4 pounds, -5.8 pounds total

Week 3:  -2.2 pounds, -8 pounds total

Week 4:  -1.2 pounds, -9.2 pounds total

Week 5:  -0.6 pounds, -9.8 pounds total

Week 6:  -2.0 pounds, -11.8 pounds total

Week 7:  -2.0 pounds, -13.8 pounds total

<5 pounds to my goal, but an intervening vacation is going to set me back a bit.  I'll try to be at goal by end of June.

Week 8-9:  -0.4 pounds, -14.2 pounds total

As expected, the holiday week and my vacation set back my progress, though not as much as I'd feared.  I figured I'd gain during that time, but instead managed a tiny loss. 

<4 pounds to go, but I just semi-spontaneously booked June 25-28 in San Francisco, where my sole goal will be to eat all the food.  Hopefully a lot of walking and hills there will help balance it out.

Just got off the mat.  Did a 40-min down dog session with a flexibility focus.  

Not the best weekend for me.  Ate fast food Saturday for the first time in a long time.  It actually made me feel kinda ill the rest of the day.  Also drank too much over the weekend.  

Back at it now.  

Keep up the good work.

That's why I've been trying to up my calories, etc. Last time around I actually lost weight faster but then I plateaued when I got shin splints and couldn't ride for an extended time.  I didn't end up with any loose skin, and I wasn't too worried by a 2-3 lb loss each week. But 10 the last two weeks does worry me a little. Some of it was probably water weight as I was a little less hydrated than normal coming out of that week post-surgery. 

But yeah, that is something I might consider, maybe just maintain for a week or two to help give my body some time to catch up.  I feel like I'm about where I was last time though. I recall feeling like I had this bit of a flap where the belly used to be, but what I read then was you'll get that because there's still fat in it, but once it clears out it'll be more likely to go away. Which ended up happening then when I did lose more.
Shin splints are the worst because there’s nothing you can do. It’s not like you can just muscle through the pain because it will only worsen. 

I’m with you. Past week in my house was everyone off the rails. Way too much booze in recent weeks. Today I drank a ton of water, and though I was considering starting a fast today, I instead had a salad and two cookies.  Didn’t drink alcohol. So, a good day. Hoping to string together a bunch like this, and maybe some fasting days in there too. 
It’s up to you to string the good days together.  They don’t have to insanely good either.  

It’s up to you to string the good days together.  They don’t have to insanely good either.  
I weighed in this morning at 221.9.  I was a bit  :shock:  to be at my lowest weight of the year given how I’ve been a bit off the rails the past two weeks.  I suppose the IF and coupe days of fast really blunt the bad days.  Amazing.  

Haven’t eaten since a salad and two cookies for dinner on Sunday, only thing I ate that day.  Last night I was ravenous and thinking about making a bowl of soup, but powered through.  Woke up this morning and leaped out of bed, feeling almost giddy.  Energy, clarity, feeling good.  I’ll continue to fast through the evening today and consider breaking it then, or, if my body feels good, I may keep going.  

Unrelated thought — Sunday night when I wanted a “treat,” rather than booze I lit up a cigar.  Really enjoy a cigar out back here and there.  It gets you a little buzz too. It’s like a zero calorie substitute for a drink.  Of course, there’s the risk of cancer, so I’m trying to moderate there too….being thin ain’t no use if yer dead. 

I weighed in this morning at 221.9.  I was a bit  :shock:  to be at my lowest weight of the year given how I’ve been a bit off the rails the past two weeks.  I suppose the IF and coupe days of fast really blunt the bad days.  Amazing. 
I mean, it's kind of obvious but if you are like me and doing IF and a fasting day then you are going from 21 meals (in theory) to 12.  That's basically eating 60% of what you were before - assuming you aren't snacking all the time.  That and reducing alcohol will definitely move you in the right direction.  I've not been great with the alcohol intake the last week - I'm following the Euro soccer tournament and doing drinks for the matches when possible so for the next couple weeks I hope to tread water.

Just did another 40 min down dog session.  Was able to hold crow twice for about 30-sec each time.  That's nice considering it wasn't long ago when I first started getting into the pose.  

Was probably over my calories yesterday as I had a spontaneous lunch at a nearby cafe w/ my mom.  That was worth it at least.  

No booze yesterday.  Trying to eat well today.  

Keep up the good work.  

Going away with my lovely wife to the Carolina Mountains, Pisgah, Marshall House Inn on the French Broad River and on the way back will be visiting a lot of the GSMNP which I think most of you can figure out what that is. Going to see Madison and Milledgeville in GA along the way and just slow trek it over the next week or two. 

This is what people who live near the beach in Florida want to go for a "vacation" or escape. Hoping to see many trails and some waterfalls while we are up there and we also are going to avoid a lot of alcohol and just all kinds of other negative vibrations, want to get my iPhone out of my hands for a few days. Disconnect. 

Will be ready to crank back up when i return, hopefully the trip kick starts several things. 

Cheers!   
😂

Sure we weren't going to drink...have I got some stories for all of you. I think the best one IMO is the one where we had no reservations or hotel booked on the 2nd night of our trip away from Florida and ended up in Clayton, GA(NC/GA border) where we bounced between "Fortify Pi"(Oh Nelllie!) and a distillery called "Moonlight" and the bartender at Fortify sent us to Moonlight with food for someone who I figured was just another server/bartender and it ended up being the Owner of the Bourbon Distillery who opted to not close the tasting room at 5 o'clock, instead gave us a personal taste tour for 2 more HOURS!!! after they were supposed to be closed. 

They make full on Georgia Bourbon Whiskey and folks they don't just make any run of the mill version, oh no they actually manufacture and create "Single Barrel Bourbon Whiskey-120 proof!!!" and I will tell you if you've never had anything beyond the standard 80 proof, you haven't really lived life yet 😂. :suds:  👍   Oh my holy god, it was about as good as the Balcones 125 Proof I had in Austin, TX 3 yrs ago in the basement of an office building and I simply told that man, "pour me the best bottle you have back there" and he opened that Balcones bottle with pride I might add. This bourbon reminded me of that one and this time I have an entire bottle unopened I brought back with me. 

Moonlight

I also want to share that the owners introduced us to some friends of theirs and mind you that my wife and I had no real plans or hotel reservations this one particular night, the rest we had booked and already knew where we were going but this particular day we hadn't really made plans and we ended up in a brand new house on the side of the mountain, this couple we were hitting it off with invited us to stay with them as their new BnB was not being rented...2,000 sq ft house, they gave us the 2nd floor to lounge out and stay the night for FREE, are you F-Bomb kidding me? Yes we did this! We also picked up their dinner at the local bar/grill with a smile on our face. 

It was an amazing journey and vacation, I simply want to thank you all BECAUSE...i whooped it up on those trails, i was not sucking wind and just stepping up and over all obstacles in my Merrill Hiking Boots and looking like i was built for trails. Last time in the Mountains i was 250+, god's honest truth. I was 192 the other day which is a little high for me, like the 180 range better but overall i was much better equipped to get up and down these mountains, hell yeah i want to thank you all for encouraging me to lose weight all this time, it really paid off and people seemed to take to my vibration everywhere we went on this trip. 

More to come but i just want to thank everyone, I did really good on this trip up to the mountains with mrs, first time away from Florida since prior to 2020 so you understand what i am saying. 

Peace everyone! 

Hey bfred, tomorrow on Adriene's June calendar is a repeat of that Core Strength Ritual that caused you to call her "a merciless ######### ########" and led to my being sore for three days.

Spent days including my weekend preparing for a client pitch, THEY reached out to ME, and 90 minutes later I felt like I wasted much of my life.  Clients are jerkfaces. 

so, I decided to eat dinner. I had salmon, potato leak soup, and a few chocolate chip cookies, and some white wine spritzers. My stomach is rolling and rumbling like a Kentucky barn dog (is that a thing?). I feel awful. Note to self: just don’t eat. Not worth it. 

Just got some bad news.  Planning to destroy some pizza tonight like nobody's business.
:towelwave:

Im weak sauce so i will cheer you on because I know when you want to you can just go nuclear for a week or two and do things the average person simply will not do in order to counter some of the fun. 

-Maybe it takes one to know one 😉

If the bad news triggered the pizza, I do understand and likely would be eating it right along with you, I had so many good pizzas while I was on the road in GA/NC this past week. 

If you make the crust and put fresh cheese and sauce on it, don't think you need to apologize for that kind of pizza but most of us do the same thing, either order a place no muss no fuss or we try and take a "Boboli" crust and dress it up like we are making homemade pizza and in fact we all suck. 

My point is, if you make it from scratch, no apologies needed. The challenge for most of us I'm guessing is that we do not make it from scratch and try everything from frozen to take it n bake it at home and we fail miserably. 

I really have missed you all, it's unreal the influence this particular group has had on my daily life. 

-one more thing, it's not just my physical experience/appearance, we don't talk much about the mental challenge and lord knows I am a sinner but so many of you have touched me and i try very very hard when I am in public domain and I can make a slight difference in the happiness of someone and can step in, i try and do it repeatedly if it matters to any of you. I try when I am asked for almost anything, I try and do the right thing. It's not always easy but it also wasn't easy taking MoP under your protective wing when i needed a safe port when that pandemic unfolded and I am eternally grateful to ALL of you for not turning your back on me when things were pretty darn awful in the World. 

More to say but that's a start, lot of soul searching on this trip up to the mountains and I have plenty to be thankful for. 

Spent days including my weekend preparing for a client pitch, THEY reached out to ME, and 90 minutes later I felt like I wasted much of my life.  Clients are jerkfaces. 

so, I decided to eat dinner. I had salmon, potato leak soup, and a few chocolate chip cookies, and some white wine spritzers. My stomach is rolling and rumbling like a Kentucky barn dog (is that a thing?). I feel awful. Note to self: just don’t eat. Not worth it. 
I've been there Otis, different scenario but very similar in nature where you are trying to impress some folks in order to conduct business, never an easy thing. 

Salmon and Potato Soup is a sure fire winner IMHO, the cookies and wine is the issues but I would be a hypocrite for even mildly chastising you

Week 8-9:  -0.4 pounds, -14.2 pounds total

As expected, the holiday week and my vacation set back my progress, though not as much as I'd feared.  I figured I'd gain during that time, but instead managed a tiny loss. 

<4 pounds to go, but I just semi-spontaneously booked June 25-28 in San Francisco, where my sole goal will be to eat all the food.  Hopefully a lot of walking and hills there will help balance it out.
Great job!!!

Would love to see a diary of all the food places you hit in SF

I'm just going back over the last couple weeks of posts but... 

#### YEAH!

I think all men in general come out big time winners when they put forth a little effort in the morning/evening walks, I don't know a single male who has done this with consistency and not seen amazing results. I've yet to see the thread or blog where someone is watching their calories and exercising a lot and not seeing results of some kind. It's almost impossible for guys to go thru the motions and not get results. 

Women on the other hand, it's complicated and i can explain it but I'm also not a woman and am only going on first hand info from my experiences with my wife and other females, it seems twice as hard for a good portion of them and it hurts my heart to see women/people that truly want to make a change and their bodies do not cooperate, most men would fall off the wagon inside of a week or less if they had to deal with this.  

Been a few days since my last update. We're moving our home gym to make room for an air hockey (wife) or poker (me) table so I havent weighed myself since last week. (Cause picking the scale up off the table its on and laying on the ground is too difficult) Last week was also our 20th wedding anniversary so there was heavy drinking but overall I think I kept it under control. 

I continued to ride my bike 5-6 miles 3/4 days and added pushups, chin ups and pull ups. I feel great, see progress but the wife wont stop buying junk! Stupid kids. 

I apparently set my alarm for 5:46 PM, but woke up on my own at 5:41 AM. Felt unreasonably good this morning, pace was 18:04.

As the sun rose behind me, I briefly cast an enormous shadow down the street. It was Attack of the Fifty Foot Kev there for a minute.  :lmao:

Otis said:

PS this client just hired me.  #fastinglife

Users who are viewing this thread