What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Otis fad diet thread — yoga, fasting, and kevzilla walking on🚶‍♂️ (11 Viewers)

Maurile Tremblay said:
A lot of people report continuing to lose another few pounds after ending the potato hack. I don't know why that is. Since there was no water weight bump in the beginning, it doesn't seem like there should be a water weight dip at the end, but who knows?
Potamagic.(tm) 

Having my first gag-worthy moment.  Sitting at my desk eating microwaved, previously boiled, plain potatoes again with no salt, pepper or anything.  No reason to do this to myself other than I've been too lazy to seek out salt or toppings; at night I'm even using ketchup now and it's a world of difference.  Anyway, sitting here right now and eating these feels like force feeding myself.  Not enjoying it one bit, even a little nasty.    But forcing through so I don't get home empty stomached and irritable tonight.

My evening meals, with a little PAM cooking spray and ketchup and some spices, are perfect.  Perfectly happy with those.  But I'm going to need to figure out a better approach to the Spud Hack during my lunch hours at work.  

Actually considering once I hit or get closer to my goal weight throttling back to the protein bars I love to eat at my desk for lunch.  Not potatoes, but 200 calories and a little extra protein, and they're super fast and taste great and get me through the day.  If I can eventually reduce to 3-5 days during the week of coffee for breakfast, a protein bar for lunch, and spuds for dinner, and then eat whatever the hell I want over the weekends (and even some mild cheats during the week for special occasions, e.g., a couple of glasses of wine on a thursday night, or a nice full salad at a business lunch, etc.), and this will maintain my goal weight indefinitely, I'll have found my perfect equilibrium, and wouldn't feel like I'm really depriving myself of anything.  Who knew this would be possible...

Still 10 or 20lbs till I'm where I want to be at an equilibrium place that I'm happy with, but it's on the horizon.

Having my first gag-worthy moment.  Sitting at my desk eating microwaved, previously boiled, plain potatoes again with no salt, pepper or anything.  No reason to do this to myself other than I've been too lazy to seek out salt or toppings; at night I'm even using ketchup now and it's a world of difference.  Anyway, sitting here right now and eating these feels like force feeding myself.  Not enjoying it one bit, even a little nasty.    But forcing through so I don't get home empty stomached and irritable tonight.

My evening meals, with a little PAM cooking spray and ketchup and some spices, are perfect.  Perfectly happy with those.  But I'm going to need to figure out a better approach to the Spud Hack during my lunch hours at work.  

Actually considering once I hit or get closer to my goal weight throttling back to the protein bars I love to eat at my desk for lunch.  Not potatoes, but 200 calories and a little extra protein, and they're super fast and taste great and get me through the day.  If I can eventually reduce to 3-5 days during the week of coffee for breakfast, a protein bar for lunch, and spuds for dinner, and then eat whatever the hell I want over the weekends (and even some mild cheats during the week for special occasions, e.g., a couple of glasses of wine on a thursday night, or a nice full salad at a business lunch, etc.), and this will maintain my goal weight indefinitely, I'll have found my perfect equilibrium, and wouldn't feel like I'm really depriving myself of anything.  Who knew this would be possible...

Still 10 or 20lbs till I'm where I want to be at an equilibrium place that I'm happy with, but it's on the horizon.
Get one of these

Expect miraculous results. That is awesome, Binky, maybe time to talk to your MD about weaning off the meds, even. Congrats, dude, seriously.
Thanks for the guidance man!

I just saw my doctor early last week for my quarterly check-up/blood tests.  I may go out and buy a BP machine to watch it close and then give him a call if it is staying like this.  My overall cholesterol and triglycerides are really high as well.  

I read that we should stick with the starch only for 12 days ...may not be able to go that long.  

Been there. Forcing yourself to eat cold potatoes just so you can function is no fun. That's when I decided to add in other stuff that wouldn't jack up my results. Lots of greens and veggies, almost no calories, but lots of micronutrients and fiber. I also started making extra portions at night, with the intention of bringing a Tupperware full for lunch the next day. Never been a "carry your lunch to work" guy before, but it's easy enough and saves me money and temptation. Also, if you have a fridge at work, keep a jar of salsa in there for these times.

Been there. Forcing yourself to eat cold potatoes just so you can function is no fun. That's when I decided to add in other stuff that wouldn't jack up my results. Lots of greens and veggies, almost no calories, but lots of micronutrients and fiber. I also started making extra portions at night, with the intention of bringing a Tupperware full for lunch the next day. Never been a "carry your lunch to work" guy before, but it's easy enough and saves me money and temptation. Also, if you have a fridge at work, keep a jar of salsa in there for these times.

What are your favorite salad dressings - can you list a few?

You'd order a salad at a business lunch?
Yeah, I know, right? What kind of man does that? Obviously, not a super alpha male who's comfortable enough in his own skin that he posts shirtless selfies to a magic football forum. I wish you could see how good my sternocleidomastoids look while I sneer at Otis. I am ripped, bro.

Thanks for the guidance man!

I just saw my doctor early last week for my quarterly check-up/blood tests.  I may go out and buy a BP machine to watch it close and then give him a call if it is staying like this.  My overall cholesterol and triglycerides are really high as well.  

I read that we should stick with the starch only for 12 days ...may not be able to go that long.  
The offer still stands, if you want some feedback on how to make manageable change that fits for you. I don't want to be a LaRouche and try to force it on you, but I have seen this dietary change have great results at lowering BP, cholesterol and triglycerides. 

What are your favorite salad dressings - can you list a few?
This website has a ton. haven't tried all of them, but most were good. The vegan mayo and the ranch were just ok, but I'm comparing them to the real deal, and some food substitutions just don't work. Ranch and mayo fall in that category.

using fresh berries as an emulsifier works really well. Blueberries or raspberries or strawberries are my favorites. Adding in fresh ginger, fresh herbs roasted garlic and onions, and using citrus juice helps.

Creamy dressings just aren't as good, vegan style, but the use of cashews and/or silk tofu makes a decent enough substitute, just adds dietary fat.

This website has a ton. haven't tried all of them, but most were good. The vegan mayo and the ranch were just ok, but I'm comparing them to the real deal, and some food substitutions just don't work. Ranch and mayo fall in that category.

using fresh berries as an emulsifier works really well. Blueberries or raspberries or strawberries are my favorites. Adding in fresh ginger, fresh herbs roasted garlic and onions, and using citrus juice helps.

Creamy dressings just aren't as good, vegan style, but the use of cashews and/or silk tofu makes a decent enough substitute, just adds dietary fat.
That German Potato salad looks good.

Uh-oh, looks like trouble.

Spud recovery :thumbup:

Got home tonight and after doing some work in the yard, baked up some crispy potato fries with salt and ketchup.  Amazing.

Wel, went full spud yesterday but did cheat in the evening and had two (2) fistfuls of gluten-free pretzel sticks. 

23.3%

:hot:

The good news:

Still lost half a pound in a day.  That's pretty good.  Planning once I finish reading the book to start a Convict Conditioning workout.  I think adding some bodyweight exercise will be helpful, and I do want to start getting some muscle back (I realize that can be a little counter productive, but I think some added lean muscle will ultimately help me burn more calories, and in any event, I'm not going to get FC24-level meathead doing push-ups and pull ups).

Also this morning just for giggles I tried on a suit I had bought off Charles Thyrwitt last year and which I couldn't even button the pants on (I used the suit jacket a couple times as a blazer).  Pants fit perfectly, not even snug.  So definitely shifting back to non-fat-guy wardrobe in the closet, which feels great.  

The bad news:

I didn't break 220, and now it's Friday.  I'll fast for the day (just coffee/water/zero calorie diet snapple) but then may be going out to dinner with the Mrs.  There's a chance I could still be reasonable.  A chance.  But who knows.  If I can be reasonable at dinner tonight, tomorrow morning may be sub 220.

Beyond that it will be the weekend, and so for two days I'll let loose and eat and drink a bit more before going back to potatoes Monday morning.  My lightning fast progress has definitely slowed a bit, in part because I'm probably not so much a fat guy anymore at this point, just an average guy on the cusp of 40 who could stand to lose 10 or 15lbs.  I guess I can't expect the pounds to just fly off from here on out.  May just be slow going, particularly if I want to keep letting loose for weekends.  Of course, if I can let loose on the weekends, I really don't mind this at all, and I could do this indefinitely and eventually get to my goal weight, even if that ends up being in a few months.

Go git' 'em, boys.

I too will prob be letting lose tonight :bag:

Wife wants to go to a steakhouse and eat/get plastered. She told the babysitter 7-12, how much can we possibly eat and drink?

My problem with dieting is when I do go off the rails, it's a 3-4 day setback. I'm at the point where I'm not on the scale everyday anymore and just monitoring my waist and tracking progress visually.

prob putting on 3-4 pounds today regardless though.

I didn't break 220, and now it's Friday.  I'll fast for the day (just coffee/water/zero calorie diet snapple) but then may be going out to dinner with the Mrs.  There's a chance I could still be reasonable.  A chance.  But who knows.
If you're serious about losing the weight then make a plan and stick to it.  4 days of potatoes and 3 days of letting loose will not do it though.

If you're serious about losing the weight then make a plan and stick to it.  4 days of potatoes and 3 days of letting loose will not do it though.
It's more like 5 days of potatoes and 2 days of letting loose. I just need to let loose a little less...

It's more like 5 days of potatoes and 2 days of letting loose. I just need to let loose a little less...
Standard caveats, it depends case to case - but generally speaking in the first stage of weight loss you can do this and it's effective.  Second stage?  You'll plateau.  Get to your goal THEN you can start with the 5 on/2 off routine.  Even then you may not be able to maintain so be prepared to adjust, but you probably will not get to your goal if you start doing this before you're there.

ProstheticRGK said:
No problem. Cooking Aand cooling actually increases resistant starch. I don't think I be ever boiled russets though. Only ever baked them.
FWIW, Boiled 2 large russets...put them in the fridge...sliced up into "chips", placed on foil on tray...sprayed with Pam olive oil spray...salt/pepper each side...approx 3 minutes on high broil each side....came out pretty good.

Ate about 1.5 potatoes worth and they were pretty satisfying.  Can totally see how I could go 3-5 days long on this...esp mixing up the seasonings.

Standard caveats, it depends case to case - but generally speaking in the first stage of weight loss you can do this and it's effective.  Second stage?  You'll plateau.  Get to your goal THEN you can start with the 5 on/2 off routine.  Even then you may not be able to maintain so be prepared to adjust, but you probably will not get to your goal if you start doing this before you're there.
Problem is that as much as full 30-day all spud hacks are reportedly sustainable, that sounds painful.  Your're right though, that there is a middle ground, which is the 5/2 plan wherein the 2 off days don't involve total gluttony (as I've been engaging in in recent weeks) but rather involve two sensible off days.  (i.e., a healthy breakfast, a modest meal out at a restaurant and a drink or two, etc.).  There's definitely room for improvement there -- the last couple of weekends have been insane, with tons of alcohol, pizza, ice cream, cookies, snacks, fast food, you name it.  If I adjust tweak that to normal healthy eating without going overboard, I'll be able to carry the momentum from a prior week into the next week and keep charging forward.

I think that's the challenge for me now.  We'll see how I can do this weekend. 

BP was dangerously high yesterday (after very salty food, very high caffeine day, but still)... Heading into tater land as an experiment to see if it impacts my BP like it did Binky. Combining with cutting caffeine, adding hibiscus tea, and a few other changes. 

To be continued. 

Otis without updating feels like :manoffthewagon: for a few days.

This weekend was brutal for me too - I ate to the point where my stomach hurt. I haven't filled myself up with greasy garbage like this in months. I was having painful stomach gas bubbles and diarrhea bc my body just couldn't handle it.

TBone Steak, Iceberg wedge (blue cheese, bacon, tomato), thick luger bacon, hash brown potatoes,  creamed spinach, brownie sundae dessert, pancakes, more bacon, sliders, french fries, bialey/lox/cream cheese, L&B Spumoni pizza (best you'll ever have), L&B Veal Parm, & Roll N Roaster (best fast food in the world) roast beef/cheese, wings, corn fritters, cheese fries.

It was a weekend like no other. I loaded up on Immodium after waking up with massive stomach pains. Went to the gym at 530am, had a protein shake and fat free Fage to start the day - gonna take a week to just make up for what I did this weekend. Up 5 lbs in the last 3 days :kicksrock:

Otis without updating feels like :manoffthewagon: for a few days.

This weekend was brutal for me too - I ate to the point where my stomach hurt. I haven't filled myself up with greasy garbage like this in months. I was having painful stomach gas bubbles and diarrhea bc my body just couldn't handle it.

TBone Steak, Iceberg wedge (blue cheese, bacon, tomato), thick luger bacon, hash brown potatoes,  creamed spinach, brownie sundae dessert, pancakes, more bacon, sliders, french fries, bialey/lox/cream cheese, L&B Spumoni pizza (best you'll ever have), L&B Veal Parm, & Roll N Roaster (best fast food in the world) roast beef/cheese, wings, corn fritters, cheese fries.

It was a weekend like no other. I loaded up on Immodium after waking up with massive stomach pains. Went to the gym at 530am, had a protein shake and fat free Fage to start the day - gonna take a week to just make up for what I did this weekend. Up 5 lbs in the last 3 days :kicksrock:
That's awesome.

I went off the wagon this weekend, too. Started smelling myself and getting complacent, having lost so much, so fast.

Saturday had an 8th grade graduation party for one of my boys and did pretty well: ate a lot of hummus and vegetables, no beer, even made the vegan German potato salad (above); it's good. But towards the end of the day, I broke down on sugar. Had a pistachio cupcake and some ice cream. Then, yesterday all bets were off. Ordered pizza from a local place we hadn't tried and got curried chicken pizza, tandoori wings and pepperoni pizza. Ate a ton. Followed that up with a piece of graduation cake and more ice cream. My stomach was in turmoil all last night and I feel like crap today.

so, today marks day 1 of 30 of the modified full spud hack. Going back to the roots. I will get under 200 lbs before July 15.

otis, where you at, good buddy?

I am down from 200lbs to 192.2, 3.9%

While its not a pound a day, im working hard. Figure by the end of the month, I could lose another 5lbs. 

Not sure how much that puts me away from oats. I havent followed every post. 

Regardless, gave me a kick in the right direction. 

I went off the wagon this weekend, too. Started smelling myself and getting complacent, having lost so much, so fast.

Saturday had an 8th grade graduation party for one of my boys and did pretty well: ate a lot of hummus and vegetables, no beer, even made the vegan German potato salad (above); it's good. But towards the end of the day, I broke down on sugar. Had a pistachio cupcake and some ice cream. Then, yesterday all bets were off. Ordered pizza from a local place we hadn't tried and got curried chicken pizza, tandoori wings and pepperoni pizza. Ate a ton. Followed that up with a piece of graduation cake and more ice cream. My stomach was in turmoil all last night and I feel like crap today.

so, today marks day 1 of 30 of the modified full spud hack. Going back to the roots. I will get under 200 lbs before July 15.

otis, where you at, good buddy?
Hey fellas,

Doing OK.  Did go off the rails a bit this weekend -- ordered in some delicious Indian food Friday night with the missus and drank some wine; Saturday had a burger for lunch and even some ice cream with the kids; Sunday didn't eat all day until a backyard BBQ in the evening, had a couple of burgers, couple of dogs, some steak, some ice cream cake, some beer, some scotch...

Still, this morning not too bad -- 224.2 and 22%.  Feels like I've been stuck in this general range the past couple of weeks, but looking back at the data now on Fitbit I'm seeing that each Monday (after my "off the wagon" weekends) I've been trending downwards. So it's not all bad.  I'm a bit surprised I didn't get below 220 last week, but I expect it will happen this week.

Back to the hack until a work dinner I have Thursday night, so it will be a solid near 4 day hack this week.  Just had a couple of potatoes microwaved plain with salt and pepper here for lunch (salt and pepper make all the difference in the world--wasn't gagging like I was last week).

So, we're keeping at it.

One thing that I'm struggling with is finding a place to install a pull up bar, though I think I finally have a solution in the laundry room doorway in the basement.  Going to start a Convict Conditioning plan this week, looking forward to trying to get some exercise in consistently, and it shouldn't take me more than 15 or 20 minutes per day to do what is required.  That's nothing.

Otis said:
Doing OK.  Did go off the rails a bit this weekend -- ordered in some delicious Indian food Friday night with the missus and drank some wine; Saturday had a burger for lunch and even some ice cream with the kids; Sunday didn't eat all day until a backyard BBQ in the evening, had a couple of burgers, couple of dogs, some steak, some ice cream cake, some beer, some scotch...
:lmao:  that's going off the rails "a bit"?  If I consumed that at 1 BBQ I'd be puking in the bushes.  WTF

Went off the wagon as well this weekend.  Large thin crust pizza and burgers with boxed ranch/bacon pasta salad and chips.  Also drank diet rootbeer like dope fiend.  

Haven't weighed myself yet.  

Going back on with 2lbs of frozen hash browns today.  

Guys you need to incorporate the cheat day in here. Have someone smart explain the positive effects of resetting leptin and cortisol levels with a cheat day. 

Spuds + Cheat Day = The Ticket 

Guys you need to incorporate the cheat day in here. Have someone smart explain the positive effects of resetting leptin and cortisol levels with a cheat day. 

I think the bigger problem is not cramming a week's worth of cheating into one day. 

That was actually my thinking for going whole hog yesterday, and eating meat and dairy and lots of fat. I was plateauing already doing a maintenance/ slower weight loss diet. I hope it works. I still feel like crap today. Lazy and lethargic.

Hectic morning, forgot to grab my potatoes on my way out (after boiling a whole pot of them last night), and work crazy.  So I grabbed one of my 200 calorie protein bars from my desk.  I'll be back on for dinner.  

Hey fellas,

Still, this morning not too bad -- 224.2 and 22%.  Feels like I've been stuck in this general range the past couple of weeks, but looking back at the data now on Fitbit I'm seeing that each Monday (after my "off the wagon" weekends) I've been trending downwards. So it's not all bad.  I'm a bit surprised I didn't get below 220 last week, but I expect it will happen this week.

Back to the hack until a work dinner I have Thursday night, so it will be a solid near 4 day hack this week.  Just had a couple of potatoes microwaved plain with salt and pepper here for lunch (salt and pepper make all the difference in the world--wasn't gagging like I was last week).

So, we're keeping at it.

One thing that I'm struggling with is finding a place to install a pull up bar, though I think I finally have a solution in the laundry room doorway in the basement.  Going to start a Convict Conditioning plan this week, looking forward to trying to get some exercise in consistently, and it shouldn't take me more than 15 or 20 minutes per day to do what is required.  That's nothing.
I bought a pull up bar recently that just attaches and detaches from doorframes without installation.  It's pretty convenient. 

By the way, discovered an amazing meal last night. Took the pre boiled potatoes out of the fridge and cut them into wedges. The briefest spray or cooking spray, some salt, and bake until crispy. Then instead of ketchup, which is kind of nasty and has a lot of garbage in it, I spread tomato sauce (Rao's pizza sauce) over the top, sprinkle on a touch of garlic powder. Incredible. Was like having a full-on pasta dish. 

Users who are viewing this thread