What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Otis fad diet thread — yoga, fasting, and kevzilla walking on🚶‍♂️ (12 Viewers)

So when is Woz going to pay off the bet?
I'm not there yet, even if the bet is still on. I need to get below 215 and stay there for a week. My progress has been a lot slower in recent weeks. Probably because I'm not going FULL spud anymore. For instance yesterday I didn't eat all day, but got home and had a bowl of potatoes (with the Joe T Greek seasoning, great stuff), along with some pretzels, some sesame sticks, a FLA VOR ICE, and a Coors Light. Low cal day but I'm not getting the full impact of the power of potatoes.

Oh and got the microwave bag delivered last night. Can't wait to give it a shot. 

Three weeks ago, I started hacking the Potato Hack by having them only at dinner. As a Type II diabetic, I didn't want to eat potatoes all day, and my biggest problems with satiety are at night. So it's high protein, low carb for breakfast and lunch, and spuds for dinner. In three weeks, I'm down 5.4 pounds.

PotatoMagic!TM
Tell me more...how much are you having at dinner and how has this dating blood sugar been affected? Are you checking in the mornings? 

Oh and got the microwave bag delivered last night. Can't wait to give it a shot. 
Report back.  4 minutes for a baked potato would be awesome but the description is a little sketchy at that link.

I'm not there yet, even if the bet is still on. I need to get below 215 and stay there for a week. My progress has been a lot slower in recent weeks. Probably because I'm not going FULL spud anymore. For instance yesterday I didn't eat all day, but got home and had a bowl of potatoes (with the Joe T Greek seasoning, great stuff), along with some pretzels, some sesame sticks, a FLA VOR ICE, and a Coors Light. Low cal day but I'm not getting the full impact of the power of potatoes.

:kicksrock:

Tell me more...how much are you having at dinner and how has this dating blood sugar been affected? Are you checking in the mornings? 
Oh, my glucose is always bad in the morning, 207 just now. Got a "leaky liver" that secretes too much at night. Usually 2-3 potatoes, depending on size. So 50-60g of carbs at dinner, which is tolerable with the <20g I've had up to that point.

So you guys that are doing this for real...How many pounds of potatoes are you putting away per day on average?
I'll take a look at my grocery receipt next week, but for Monday through Friday, this is what my shopping list looks like:

-20 little red potatoes (4 for breakfast each day)

-5 russets (one for lunch each day)

-8 Yukons (two each day for supper and evening snack.  Real food for supper on Friday)

Don't know the total weight, but I'd say on average that's what I'm eating.

I'll take a look at my grocery receipt next week, but for Monday through Friday, this is what my shopping list looks like:

-8 Yukons (two each day for supper and evening snack.  Real food for supper on Friday)

I can't imagine that's more than (150 + 250 + 300?) 700 calories. Interesting.

I can't imagine that's more than (150 + 250 + 300?) 700 calories. Interesting.
Throw in some ketchup with the dinner meal.

Without looking it up, I'd say you're underestimating the Yukons.  The ones at my grocery store are huge.

I also grab the biggest russets in the bin.  If you're going on "average" I'd round up a little more.

Definitely not 2000 calories a day, but certainly not 700 either.

I'd say I'm going through most of a 5 pound bag of yukons every day - somewhere around 1200-1500 calories or so. I tend to make fries out of them for the most part and snack through the day as needed - the majority at dinner. 

Microwave gold potatoes... Cut them into chunks with your fork, then douse them in malt vinegar with a dusting of salt.  

So simple. So good. 

I'd say I'm going through most of a 5 pound bag of yukons every day - somewhere around 1200-1500 calories or so. I tend to make fries out of them for the most part and snack through the day as needed - the majority at dinner. 
This makes more sense to me (although if that works for Bull, good job). I just started my version of this yesterday, probably knocked out 2-3 lbs (kept my usual Greek yogurt in the morning, I like that it's high in protein for the calories...oh and it also means I'm not eating boiled potatoes at 6:30 am). I seemingly didn't have as much trouble as others in just piling in boiled red potatoes with just some salt and pepper. Obviously that could be different after days/weeks of this but I got the impression from reading others here that it was the lack of interest in eating nothing but potatoes that kept everything in range. Maybe I'm just lucky in that when I'm trying to diet, I can focus a lot on just eating for utility. 

I'm really trying this as an experiment to see what kind of difference, if any, I see in eating 1200ish calories from potatoes vs the same amount in a more normal approach. 

This makes more sense to me (although if that works for Bull, good job). I just started my version of this yesterday, probably knocked out 2-3 lbs (kept my usual Greek yogurt in the morning, I like that it's high in protein for the calories...oh and it also means I'm not eating boiled potatoes at 6:30 am). I seemingly didn't have as much trouble as others in just piling in boiled red potatoes with just some salt and pepper. Obviously that could be different after days/weeks of this but I got the impression from reading others here that it was the lack of interest in eating nothing but potatoes that kept everything in range. Maybe I'm just lucky in that when I'm trying to diet, I can focus a lot on just eating for utility. 

I'm really trying this as an experiment to see what kind of difference, if any, I see in eating 1200ish calories from potatoes vs the same amount in a more normal approach. 
The boredom of eating is what keeps me from eating much during the week.  The first week when I did 100% russets, I was dreading a meal by the end of the week.  That wasn't going to work long term, so I started adding in the yellows.  This is my first week with reds, and the variety helps, but I'm still not hungry, except late afternoon.  It's a long stretch from lunch to getting home, and getting some potatoes cooked, but I don't want to start snacking.  A big plate of fries keeps me full until 10ish.  In the old days, that's when I'd grab junk.  Now, a potato isn't what I'm in the mood for, so I just don't eat.

The boredom of eating is what keeps me from eating much during the week.  The first week when I did 100% russets, I was dreading a meal by the end of the week.  That wasn't going to work long term, so I started adding in the yellows.  This is my first week with reds, and the variety helps, but I'm still not hungry, except late afternoon.  It's a long stretch from lunch to getting home, and getting some potatoes cooked, but I don't want to start snacking.  A big plate of fries keeps me full until 10ish.  In the old days, that's when I'd grab junk.  Now, a potato isn't what I'm in the mood for, so I just don't eat.
:thumbup:  whatever works

Beer, bottle of wine, and a couple of fingers of a $300 bottle of a Macallan special edition, after a massive greek gyros and falafel meal followed by cookies and salted dark chocolate and chocolate ice cream. 

WOW TOUGH DIET
how many days / week are cheat days?

JerseyToughGuys said:
how many days / week are cheat days?
Weekends usually.   But I'll have a random cheat for a business meal, or for a special occasion.  And lately I drink a beer or a scotch here or there (last two nights had one beer each night, it was glorious, granted it's Corona and Coors Light).

Bottom line is that it's working.

Big test next week.  Business travel for several days.  Being away from home and away from a routine is always the hardest for me.  thinking about bringing that potato bag that I bought based on a recommendation in here.  I'll find a bag of potatoes at a local store there and nuke 'em in my room.  

Checking out for a week or two.  Boys' baseball tournaments is throwing my schedule for a loop.  It's hard to go full spud when you spend all day at the ball field, and get home late (that was last week).  This week we're out of town so I'll be staying at a hotel for Tuesday through Saturday.  Little chance I can go full spud in those conditions.  GL all, I'll be back in a bit, and probably bigger than ever.

Reached my new years goal weight of 200 this morning thanks in a large part to eating a bunch of potatoes while at home.  Its still obvious I can shed some more pounds before getting too thin so I'm moving the finish line to 195.   Never thought I'd get there until I started pounding down the potatoes.  

Little help here people. Wife and I are in!

starting tomorrow headed to the store to buy potatoes. Sweet potatoes are allowed or not?

one reason for me to give it a whirl is my triglycerides are off the charts high. Everything else is normal. We'll see if it has any affect

starting tomorrow headed to the store to buy potatoes. Sweet potatoes are allowed or not?

one reason for me to give it a whirl is my triglycerides are off the charts high. Everything else is normal. We'll see if it has any affect
Just so you get timely feedback (but maybe not the best), I believe sweet potatoes are allowed, but only recommended occasionally.  They are not as fully balanced nutritionally as white potatoes.

6 dollars for 20 pounds of spuds.  :winning:  currently making a soup, no dairy, water, thyme, salt, pepper and a few bay leaves.  i'll puree that and will be able to take a drink any time. we have plenty of different hot sauces and will be hitting the ground running tomorrow.  

tonight however... :banned: i'll weigh in tomorrow morning.  i wish i could test my triglycerides before i start, but i'll do a physical in a month or two.  hoping for under 300

Okay Otis, you finally piqued my curiosity so I bought the book and intend to do a 3-5 experiment.

After reading the book it seems that this may be little more than a simple calorie restriction program.  Sure potatoes have resistant starch which help feel gut flora, which is awesome.  But I don't believe that is the basis for success of the program, it's the fact that he recommends you eat about 3 lbs of cooked white potatoes per day (with a range of 2-5 lbs).  That translates to about 1,280 calories (854 on the low end and 2,134 on the high end).

Seems to me that it would be difficult not to lose weight eating 1,280 calories of anything.

How many lbs of potatoes are people averaging?

Still gonna give it a try next Mon-Wed (or Fri) to see how it impacts my general perception of my health (and my bowels, this better not mess with my morning BM).  Considering I have been at my "goal" weight of 185 (6'1") for over a year and I feel great it will be interesting to see what kind of impact it has.

He recommends that the first time you go with just straight "white" potatoes with, at most, a little salt (russet, yukon gold, red, or blue are all considered "white" potatoes for the purposes of this diet).  No other seasonings, oil (even for cooking) or any other foods.  Just white potatoes.  Yams and sweet potatoes are a different species and contain a lot more sugar and a lot less starch (I disagree with the notion that they have a lesser overall nutritional profile though).

After you give it a shot with the basic program he suggests certain variations like mixing in a small sweet potato with the general program. Other variations are using a bare minimum of cooking oil but just to prevent sticking to pans, additional seasonings, adding a small portion, 4 oz or less, of lean meat.  He even suggests a simple gravy recipe using potato starch powder and bone broth, both of which you can buy at most grocery stores (Bob's red mill makes one but there are others).

Still gonna give it a try next Mon-Wed (or Fri) to see how it impacts my general perception of my health (and my bowels, this better not mess with my morning BM).  Considering I have been at my "goal" weight of 185 (6'1") for over a year and I feel great it will be interesting to see what kind of impact it has.
The one thing I really like about what potatoes give me is the ability to have a bad day and pretty easily follow it up with day with a good dose of potatoes which enables me to maintain my weight.   

I'll track my stats and intake fairly consistently.  My overall objective is to try this for two weeks on a trial basis just to establish a baseline  

Ultimately hope to test this vs. a PSMF type diet at a later date, but that could be into next year.  

At 175/14% which is an all time high for me.  Goal is to pull back to 165/10 then push to 180/15 by roughly April.

didn't love day 1.  i work nights and got really really hungry. i was a bit light headed.  i had a dull headache most of the night.  i've never done a diet of any kind, just ate well and exercised, so this is all new to me.  i'll have to bring a potato to work.

i don't have a digital scale but probably lost 2#.  my goal is to make it through friday.

4 lbs or so per day. 

I think in addition to just reducing calories, part of the benefit is that you're getting a full dose of nutrients, but limited fat and sugar, which, after consecutive days, forces the body to burn reserves instead of looking for it in food intake. While you'll still lose weight eating only 1200 calories a day at McDonald's, the weight won't come off as fast as potatoes seem to make it melt away. 
Not sure I buy that...well you qualified your statement with "seem" so I guess I will let it go.  Nor do I buy the notion that you get a full dose of nutrients from exclusively eating potatoes.

this sucks.  it may not be for me.  
This whole diet is just a slight hack on PSMF to help with compliance a bit.  All the bikini babes on prep go that way.  They are also likely dosing some bad pharma stuff, but it's worth mentioning thats the macro profile they try to hit.  

Users who are viewing this thread