What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Otis fad diet thread — yoga, fasting, and kevzilla walking on🚶‍♂️ (18 Viewers)

@E-Z Glider got some Slightly Mighty from Dogfish Head, immediate improvement, much more satisfying 👍 MOP approval, already thinking about having them at first get together with friends, seriously satisfies that craft urge to want to hit the bars.

They were out of the Lagunita's but they knew what I was asking for and the owner said he was working on restocking them so I'm glad I asked.

Founder's was the All Day which I have had before and I didn't need a 12-pack of it. I believe they make a Pilsner and I imagine that would be tasty since I like Pilsners in general. He said he would order it but they were out of it at the distributor.

95 calories, 4% is light but the taste is great and you can enjoy 2 of them for less than the "Phase" Changer from Lagunita's I ended up trying as well, liked the can. 

I have been using the Lose It App lately, previously have had used MFP. The main difference to me has been that Lose It allows me to not count exercise calories burned towards an additional daily allotment. Do you guys and gals feel it works better to count those in your days or not? On heavy workout days I eat some extra food but then it can be disheartening to see the numbers go red, but on light days I don't want to add anything extra.
It really depends on your baseline. If you assume that you're burning calories* at your BMR and no more, you should definitely count exercise. Not counting it could be dangerous if you start losing more than 2lbs per week consistently.  If you assume that you are somewhat active then you should rarely count exercise unless it's really a lot - it's already built into your calorie goal.  I am not a doctor and this is not medical advice. Consult a doctor before beginning this or any exercise program. 

I just have to jettison my DGAF that settles in every day after 7pm quarantine time. 

Actually thinking the path for me is to go back to what worked for me at the start of this year. Just no junk food, limit carbs, and limit booze.  If I do those things I’ll never ever go off the rails calories-wise.
It’s a solid plan and it was working for you.   Do it. 

I don’t mind counting calories.   I’m not starving myself since I get 2200/day.   If I exercise, I have no reason to go over.   

I burned 900 calories today. I could probably eat near 3000 and be fine. I maybe have done that. I don’t know. But these white wine spritzers are dynamite because they’re like like half or a third wine so I can just keep drinking them (and hydrate at the same time!) 

Day 37 and what an incredible day only to be followed up by one outstanding evening on the Jupiter/Juno Pier area...still not letting folks on the beach however along A1A we could watch the last SUPER MOON rise up at 8:27 this evening and we saw the first little crack of moonlight on the horizon, we were one of the last couples to leave the beach as we turned it into the 2nd leg of over 120 minutes of walking today covering over 6 miles broken up into two separate sessions. 

What a beautiful site tonight, we watched a man and woman well into their 60s/70s just start kissing each other as the moon rose and nobody was in a bad mood, nobody was complaining about not being able to walk all the way to the shoreline or water just yet but we know it's coming in the next week, they've already announced it. We'll be ready to take our walks down to the shoreline and then just walk into the ocean in our swim shorts. 

120 Minutes to add to the totals, about a 500 calorie deficit but I drank a couple beers including a full freight IPA/7.4% I think I need to be using them more for food and nutrition. 

875 and 800 totals for the month 

Both with a 500+ calorie deficit today

-We had cycled 5 days in a row prior to today, can really feel it in my arms and chest. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Breakfast - Oatmeal (120 calories)

Lunch -  leftover Indian food (484 calories)

Snacks - pretzel stick + 6 mini candy bars (582 calories.   :bag:  )

Dinner - 6 spinach and ricotta stuffed shells with marinara (my pasta dishes are dynamite) + salad with no dressing (930 calories)

Exercise - 400 active calories burned

400 calories under but getting myself a drink now (no snacks tonight)

I was able to hike today!!  :excited:    Most state and municipal parks re-opened Tuesday, and I got a chance late this afternoon to get out.  No time to do anything challenging, and pretty short at ~5 miles, but it was so amazing to get dirt under my feet again!  Followed that with some prawn and crab cocktail, lobster roll, and fish & chips.  I limited to the first mostly while Mr krista ate the rest, so I should be OK with my points for the day but haven't calculated yet.  Oh yeah, while waiting for the seafood feast to be prepared, I hobo'd some wine at a little gazebo across the street, so there's that, too.

Breakfast - Oatmeal (120 calories)

Lunch -  leftover Indian food (484 calories)

Snacks - pretzel stick + 6 mini candy bars (582 calories.   :bag:  )

Dinner - 6 spinach and ricotta stuffed shells with marinara (my pasta dishes are dynamite) + salad with no dressing (930 calories)

Exercise - 400 active calories burned

400 calories under but getting myself a drink now (no snacks tonight)
You get 2100 calories a day and you weigh 150 lbs? Bite me

I received a few suggestions to eat more protein and lift weights.  My wife is vegetarian and although we split the cooking, we never cook meat at home.  I do when she travels but that isn’t happening anytime soon.  And now that I can’t go to the gym, lifting weights isn’t an option.  I do get some push-ups in daily with my workouts but probably not enough.  As a result I find myself eating 5 mini Kit Kat bars.   :sadbanana:

day 4 update:

-109 calories for the day.  This is remarkable because there was an ice cream truck in our neighborhood today and my wife and kids bought me a 300 calorie ice cream sandwich.  I felt I had to eat it to be a good dad/husband :)  .  It was pretty damn good though - it was called "Chip Around" and was a bunch of ice cream between two chocolate chip cookies, here is a pic:  Chip Around

+7 calories overall for the challenge

10.3K steps today

day 4 update:

-109 calories for the day.  This is remarkable because there was an ice cream truck in our neighborhood today and my wife and kids bought me a 300 calorie ice cream sandwich.  I felt I had to eat it to be a good dad/husband :)  .  It was pretty damn good though - it was called "Chip Around" and was a bunch of ice cream between two chocolate chip cookies, here is a pic:  Chip Around

+7 calories overall for the challenge

10.3K steps today
If I knew that chocolate chip cookie was 300 calories, I would eat 3 of them and then try to burn off a 1000 calories later on.  That looks divine.

I received a few suggestions to eat more protein and lift weights.  My wife is vegetarian and although we split the cooking, we never cook meat at home.  I do when she travels but that isn’t happening anytime soon.  And now that I can’t go to the gym, lifting weights isn’t an option.  I do get some push-ups in daily with my workouts but probably not enough.  As a result I find myself eating 5 mini Kit Kat bars.   :sadbanana:
how many push ups?

do squats.  squats, of all kinds.   do enough of them, with enough variations, and it'll feel like a killer leg day.  i did 10 reps of 4 different squats, 3 times, the other day.  so, 120 squats.    ran a mile and hiked 10 minutes of steep hills.  my legs were barely functional for the next 2 days.

and there are a zillion other plyometric things you can do.  all i have at home are 25lb dumbbells .  i make it work with all sorts of HIIT, super sets, etc.

1/1 - starting weight 257.7

5/9 - 233.6

Under on points and ran over 3 miles to finish a perfect week (goal wise). 

Family had “breakfast for dinner”. French toast, waffles, cinnamon rolls (cooked in the waffle iron which they raved about) with extra icing, sausage and bacon. 

I had will power though and had 3 eggs scrambled with loads of veggies and turkey. I did have 1 piece of bacon though. 

Protein smoothies

Maybe try something like this https://www.runnersworld.com/training/a20805692/10-essential-strength-exercises-for-runners/

I am not a doctor and this is not medical advice. Consult with your doctor  before beginning any exercise or diet plan.

Nobody I know is suffering from a protein deficiency but you can get it from other things besides meat. I don't enjoy the smell inside my house after most meat is cooked, even fish which can be smelly too if not careful. 

Free weights 30 lbs and under are pretty cheap from places like ****'s Sporting Goods. You don't need to do an entire 45-60 minute weight workout, i would grab some a couple dumb bells and start playing youtube vids for proper technique. Turn a corner of your house into a mini gym.  

1/1 - starting weight 257.7

5/9 - 233.6

Under on points and ran over 3 miles to finish a perfect week (goal wise). 

Family had “breakfast for dinner”. French toast, waffles, cinnamon rolls (cooked in the waffle iron which they raved about) with extra icing, sausage and bacon. 

I had will power though and had 3 eggs scrambled with loads of veggies and turkey. I did have 1 piece of bacon though. 
You're doing great FT, and I am a huge fan of breakfast for dinner, even the bowl of cereal works some evenings. 

switched mfp to unemployed, sea slug.  it now says 1640, are my desired calories.  i'm at 930 consumed, for the day.  with around 500 calories burned through deliberate exercise.  i'll snack tonight, but should easily stay under 1500 for today.  no booze makes a big difference.  
I am figuring out between beer and milk/half n half I am jamming over 500 calories a day just from those two things. I like a couple cans of beer in the afternoon to take the edge off and I love my coffee. But i am re-considering my position on these two things. 

how many push ups?

do squats.  squats, of all kinds.   do enough of them, with enough variations, and it'll feel like a killer leg day.  i did 10 reps of 4 different squats, 3 times, the other day.  so, 120 squats.    ran a mile and hiked 10 minutes of steep hills.  my legs were barely functional for the next 2 days.

and there are a zillion other plyometric things you can do.  all i have at home are 25lb dumbbells .  i make it work with all sorts of HIIT, super sets, etc.
Sounds like you are the guy to talk to about weights. I want to get started at home, very light to start for several weeks and just get my body used to the exercises. I don't want size but rather tone and tighten everything. Actually the legs are doing well, arms are tightening from the cycling but I need to lift some weights and get stronger. 

I am figuring out between beer and milk/half n half I am jamming over 500 calories a day just from those two things. I like a couple cans of beer in the afternoon to take the edge off and I love my coffee. But i am re-considering my position on these two things. 
Drinking calories has proven to be suboptimal for me. These days, the only consistent liquid calories is the Atkins shake I have in the afternoons.

Now, drinking. That is a whole 'nother can of worms. At home, my rule is that there's no plural for nightcap. I'm a grownup, I can have A drink in the evening. If you go back, that's not a nightcap, you're just drinking now.

Drinking calories has proven to be suboptimal for me. These days, the only consistent liquid calories is the Atkins shake I have in the afternoons.

Now, drinking. That is a whole 'nother can of worms. At home, my rule is that there's no plural for nightcap. I'm a grownup, I can have A drink in the evening. If you go back, that's not a nightcap, you're just drinking now.
Generally speaking, drinking your calories is a big weight loss no-no. Alcohol aside the only time I drink anything but water and black coffee is gatorade after a hard workout. So even when I have bad food days the scale doesn't catch up to me later because I'm not adding on those unsatiated calories via fluids too.

Walking lunges, push ups, dips, box jumps, russian speed lunges, many different iterations of abdominal exercises, burpees, etc.

Get creative too - get a bag of weed & feed or something else lying around but don't have a medicine ball? Do squat-and-throws with that thing. The one we have is thick enough that it doesn't break open. They can also come in handy with the walking lunges. Or calf raises (use stairs).

8:00 and 10 points left to enjoy a couple of Michelob Ultras. 

I had to do 35 minutes on the indoor bike because it was raining all afternoon.  Kept my heart rate between 130 & 140 so close to running. 

many beers last night.  still ended the day, right at my number.  was quite under, if i count the exercise.  this is an interesting experiment.

Greetings All

-Running around as things re-open in my area, getting a haircut this afternoon, we'll see how that works out. 

Day 37 yesterday and today is Day 38 

135 minutes of walking and cycling on Day 37 

Day 38 is today, already walked 45 minutes and Cycled another 60+ over the Jupiter Inlet

900+ Calorie Deficit on Day 37

2,500+ Calories left to work with the rest of today, it's a terrific feeling. 

No beer or liquor yesterday however we did have a scoop or two of some super premium ice cream. 

995 and 800 Total Minutes for May so far between myself and Mrs, I can feel a little more exercise later in the evening perhaps. Tomorrow is likely to be a lot of rain and harder to predict when we can get out for a stretch, it's not going to be nearly as pretty as today. 

i'm new to this calorie counting, but i don't think it's wise to count your exercise calories.  just because you have extra calories, according to an app,  you shouldn't hammer a pizza at midnight.  my goal is to stay under, or at my allotted calories.  i'm not counting the exercise calories as bankable or anything like that.  most of my days, i am way under, according to exercise.  i've only had 1 day, that was significantly under because of food consumption.  :2cents:   :shrug:

i'm new to this calorie counting, but i don't think it's wise to count your exercise calories.  just because you have extra calories, according to an app,  you shouldn't hammer a pizza at midnight.  my goal is to stay under, or at my allotted calories.  i'm not counting the exercise calories as bankable or anything like that.  most of my days, i am way under, according to exercise.  i've only had 1 day, that was significantly under because of food consumption.  :2cents:   :shrug:
You’re totally right and this is exactly the mentality that I need to get to.  On weekdays it will be easier because I don’t drink or eat as much.  On weekends, I’m letting loose.  I’ll put in a hardcore workout on weekends but I’m banking that #### and rewarding myself later.  TBH my only Achilles heel is booze and as long as I keep that to a minimum on weekdays, I’m perfectly fine binging on weekends (if I’ve earned it).  I’m not much of a night snacker to begin with.

You’re totally right and this is exactly the mentality that I need to get to.  On weekdays it will be easier because I don’t drink or eat as much.  On weekends, I’m letting loose.  I’ll put in a hardcore workout on weekends but I’m banking that #### and rewarding myself later.  TBH my only Achilles heel is booze and as long as I keep that to a minimum on weekdays, I’m perfectly fine binging on weekends (if I’ve earned it).  I’m not much of a night snacker to begin with.
we are in the same boat.  but i work nights, and am used to eating very late.

how're those workouts going?  i did a gajillion bench press, tricep exercises and shoulders yesterday, with my 25lb dumbbells.  feels so goofy benching 25lbs, but what am i gonna do?  added in 100 push ups for good measure.  i'm feeling it, should be nice and sore tomorrow.  heading out to log some miles right now.

get some!

we are in the same boat.  but i work nights, and am used to eating very late.

how're those workouts going?  i did a gajillion bench press, tricep exercises and shoulders yesterday, with my 25lb dumbbells.  feels so goofy benching 25lbs, but what am i gonna do?  added in 100 push ups for good measure.  i'm feeling it, should be nice and sore tomorrow.  heading out to log some miles right now.

get some!
I'm going to buy 25 lb dumbbells and start following your suggestions.  Plan to add strength training as a major part of my workout routines soon.  

Couldn't agree more but let's take my vertically challenged wife who gets a whopping 1200 calories a day to work with...try it I invite you. She can have Oatmeal, a salad and a protein/veggie dinner, nothing but fruit or a yogurt for a snack and she better not touch anything from anywhere outside of the house...I feel for her. She sometimes is at 1250-1300, that 500 she burned up in 60-90 minutes cycling, I can understand why she might use a few of them to cover her on a couple days. 

But in general I agree 100% with you and I have had a huge calorie deficit almost everyday, i should still 86 all booze and liquid calories as MAC was saying. 1,800-2,000 calories if I don't drink any beers and don't have too many treats is quite a lot to fill up 3 meals and 2 decent snacks in a day. Men have a huge advantage. 

I’ve hit a wall. In many ways. I’m over the quarantine, for the first time just feeling done with it. I’m feeling a little over my job lately; just a little burnt out I think.  And my drinking has increased, while my food discipline has decreased. It culminated yesterday in a day with no exercise, and a ton of drinking, so much so that I woke up hungover and throwing up. Hasn’t happened in years.  Not even sure how much I drank, but the red wine began flowing around 5, I switched over to a few scotches in the middle, and then back to red wine. I was basically guzzling nonstop for 6 hours. Oof.  I think it was just the end of a long stressful week, and all that anxiety just released at once. 

Feeling pretty disgusted with it, but I’m now determined not to drink anymore.  I’ll have a beer at a backyard BBQ, but I’m not doing the scotches or red wines, or the regular daily drinking, and I’m not binge drinking like this anymore. It’s awful for your sleep, your energy, your weight, your health, your state of mind. There’s really nothing good about it. Poison. I literally poisoned myself sick. Jeez. Shameful. 

So anyway, I’ll be laying off the booze. In terms of weight loss it’s always been the X factor. Regardless of the type of diet I’ve done, there’s one constant — when I don’t drink, I get in good shape and feel great; when I drink, I get fat and out of shape and kind of miserable.  And that’s not to mention that during my sober periods I sleep better, have more energy, make better food choices, am in a much more positive place mentally, and feel fantastic. 

Someone please come to my house and facepunch me if I start drinking all the time again. 

xo

Oats 

Just did 9miles. Mostly mellow hiking.  Did one serious uphill and a bunch of smaller ones. Great hike. Saw a large deer and a 3-4 foot rattle snake. Both were super cool.  Sitting at a 700 calorie consumption deficit, with filet on the menu tonight.   :pickle:   gonna go get a bottle of red. I’ve earned a glass. 

When I first started this I set mfp to do 2lbs per week weight loss and assume I do zero exercise. I counted everything. A long walk in the grocery store, a walk outside with my family, I counted it.  And I ate right up to my calorie goal every day. It came off like clockwork. If I didnt take a cheat day I lost almost exactly two pounds per week.  If I did, I lost about what I was expected to lose. I don't enter the grocery trip or walk at the mall anymore but I still enter every minute I put in on the treadmill running or walking and I eat right up to my calorie goal and it still works.  Just because it worked for me doesn't mean that it will work that way for everyone but I will continue to disagree with people who say that you shouldn't eat those exercise calories because it was exactly those extra calories that got me to work harder at exercising and got me where I am now which is much better shape than before I started taking this seriously.  It was the mindset that I am in control and I can earn more food if I want to or I eat less if I don't that changed things for me. That I am not punishing myself for a big lunch, I'm earning my dinner.  That exercise is something that leads me to rewards, instead of thinking that exercise is my penalty for overeating.  I see things so much more clearly now that I have a healthier paradigm.  

Users who are viewing this thread