What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Otis fad diet thread — yoga, fasting, and kevzilla walking on🚶‍♂️ (14 Viewers)

Did a 30-min restorative yoga session with the Down Dog app this morning.

Tried to walk the dog first thing but it started raining on us.  Got to see a full rainbow tho, so I'll take it.   

Was under calories yesterday, even with one drink...  but then I had a second drink...   :bag:

Keep up the good work!

Oh man. I forgot about caring. It’s been a bad 2 weeks or so. Which stinks because I felt like a new human during my fasting phases. Otis turns 45 this weekend, so we decided to let loose. But after this weekend, it’s back to hardcore. Stopping the heavy drinking and bad foods, and reimplementing tons of water and some fasting.  We’ll be right as rain by August   Let’s go!

This week:  229 lbs       Last week:  231 lbs

Change:  -2 lbs               Loss to date:  52 lbs

------------------------------

Target weight:  207 lbs

March 12:   281 lbs  
March 19:   274 lbs
March 26:   270 lbs
April 2:       265 lbs
April 9:       262 lbs
April 16:     259 lbs
April 23:     256 lbs
April 30:     254 lbs
May 7:       251 lbs
May 14:     249 lbs
May 21:     246 lbs
May 28:     245 lbs
June 4:      239 lbs
June 11:    235 lbs
June 18:   235 lbs
June 25:   231 lbs
July 2:      229 lbs
Been mixing in more favorite foods which will be good for when I get down to my goal. Was talking with physical therapist and he didn't do any caliper tests, but confirmed what I'd heard from the other trainer a few years back that probably 200-205 was the right range for me, or even more if it's muscle weight.

Had a second setback with the shoulder. I was stupid and tried to move something heavier than I thought it was. On the good side, I've got more range of motion with it, and the therapist mentioned he can see more definition on my shoulders. But backing off doing any weights at all with the exercises for probably the next week or two. At the moment my shoulder is aching so I'm going to let it subside a little before even doing those too much.

I bought a Bosu ball last week off Amazon. It's a half-inflated ball mounted on a flat platform which provides an unstable surface that is great for core work and balance. You can use the ball side or the platform side to work different things. When I rehabbed after my knee surgery 5-6 years ago, I couldn't hardly stand on it doing something for more than about 5-10 seconds without falling off. Within a few weeks I was doing full exercise sets on it without problems. I thought this might be a good addition. When I hit my goal weight I want to shift some of my cardio time into weight training and toning. As expected my balance was crap. I tried doing my shoulder exercises on it but was afraid I was going to hurt the shoulder worse waving my arms for balance in the middle of them. I can't do planks with my shoulder like this, but some of the crunches and sitting ones I should be able to do with it in the meantime. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Researchers recruited 36 participants and assigned each to one of three groups for three weeks. The first group didn’t intermittently fast at all and just reduced their daily calories by 25 percent. The other two groups fasted on alternate days, with one group following a fast day by eating 50 percent more than usual and the other group eating 100 percent more.
This isn't what I or the vast majority of the IF community would call intermittent fasting.

Been mixing in more favorite foods which will be good for when I get down to my goal. Was talking with physical therapist and he didn't do any caliper tests, but confirmed what I'd heard from the other trainer a few years back that probably 200-205 was the right range for me, or even more if it's muscle weight.
How tall are you?  What are they considering the right range? 

The bmi chart says that normal weight for me at about 5' 10-11" is between 128.6 and 173.9... I almost want to get to 128.6 just to see what my organs look like shrink wrapped in pale hairy skin.  

Was drinks last night, went to bed way too late, got up way too early. Dragged my remains out there anyway, only to have my back get tight a third of the way in. It was a pretty grim trip, and although it seemed like a lot of effort, I'm not surprised my pace was 19:41.

End of week update --

Exercise:
4 walks / 16.25 miles / 2175 calories burned

Rested my knees on Wednesday again and I think I might make that a normal part of my routine. The combination of insoles + a bit more rest + leg strengthening seems to have my knee pain on the decline. Felt pretty minimal pain during today's walk, which was my longest to date (6.5 miles). Want to be completely pain-free for a couple weeks before trying to jog, hopefully that'll happen soon. 

Diet:

I mentioned last time that I wanted to cut down on booze a bit more, and instead I went through a 12-pack of hard seltzers this week. :bag:  The upcoming weekend probably won't be great either. Still going strong on everything else though -- I've been bringing these Healthy Choice frozen meals to work and most of them are pretty good, although there have been some unpleasant surprises. For example, Tuesday's BBQ beef bowl had dried ####### cranberries in the sauce. We've planned a reasonably healthy 4th of July menu, so as long I don't get too deep in the booze I should make it out of the weekend alright. Hope everyone has a good 4th!

The bmi chart says that normal weight for me at about 5' 10-11" is between 128.6 and 173.9... I almost want to get to 128.6 just to see what my organs look like shrink wrapped in pale hairy skin.  
I can't even remember last time I was in the 170s. Early in high school I guess.

I'm 5'11", frame for a fullback rather than being slender. If you remember I posted that trainer in 2018 when I was losing weight before, had done caliper measurements to determine lean weight, and used it to get at body fat % and project how both would change as I lost weight. He had my goal at 207 lbs which would be about 19-20% body fat or something like that if I remember right.  For men 50 and over, 18-22% is considered the healthy range still.

Our office is reopening in a week and a half, which also means access to the trainers in the gym there again. When I get down to my goal I'll probably go back in and do the caliper measurements again and see where that puts me.

It's pretty much exactly what @Otisis doing and similar to @AAABatteries
Close, I guess.  What I've done for a couple months now is:

• Weekly 40 hour fast - I haven't missed this for 8 weeks in a row now.  I basically eat dinner Tuesday night and then don't eat again until Thursday lunch time.  I will say that I've yet to do a water-only fast - half of those 8 days I've had coffee with sugar free creamer and half I actually have some alcohol (calories).  I'm probably not getting the full benefit and I want to get to where I do water only (we'll see though)
  • IF virtually the rest of the time.  And a more standard 18/6 is my usual - no breakfast, lunch at noon and dinner at 6:00
  • Low carb most of the time, most weeks would be in the Keto range, some just low-ish carb
  • I have drank alcohol pretty much the whole time.  I would probably have lost another 3-5 pounds over those 8 weeks if I had eliminated alcohol - I just don't want to
The longer I go with all this and pay attention to health and fitness, it becomes more and more obvious that there is no right way to do this.  You have to do what you can handle and stick to.  There's many different paths to weight loss, you just got find yours.

bmi has value, but doesn't take body type and/or muscle into play.  we're the same height.  i haven't weighed 130#, since around 10th grade.  and my nicknames were bones, skeletor, etc

Coincidentally, i received an email today that my Ooni pizza oven has shipped!  :excited:  
When you make your first pizza, can you please post about it in the PizzaGuys thread? I’ve been making homemade pizza for a while now using a baking steel at 550 in the oven.  They’ve been turning out great but I’m thinking the Ooni takes it to the next level.  Just not sure I want to invest in it.  I believe the Ooni will get up to 800 easily?  Would love to hear how it works for you.  

Got back from a week long vacation in the Smoky Mountains.  Ate too much, drank too much, didn’t exercise (even abandoned push-ups for the week) but also hit my calorie goals every day with the hikes.  Long body combat sessions and push-ups are in my future!

On the road a lot right now, some of it planned vacations but July is just shot right now for me. 

I haven't been playing as much tennis, it's just miserable out there right now with the humidity. 

-Haven't had a drink in 48 hours, want to see how far I can push it. Not even a beer not even a MIller Lite. 

Trying just to not overeat so I don't go backwards...sugar and that's all I can tell you. It wrecks havoc on everything

When you make your first pizza, can you please post about it in the PizzaGuys thread? I’ve been making homemade pizza for a while now using a baking steel at 550 in the oven.  They’ve been turning out great but I’m thinking the Ooni takes it to the next level.  Just not sure I want to invest in it.  I believe the Ooni will get up to 800 easily?  Would love to hear how it works for you.  
It's supposed to arrive tomorrow, so I will report back!

Oh man. I forgot about caring. It’s been a bad 2 weeks or so. Which stinks because I felt like a new human during my fasting phases. Otis turns 45 this weekend, so we decided to let loose. But after this weekend, it’s back to hardcore. Stopping the heavy drinking and bad foods, and reimplementing tons of water and some fasting.  We’ll be right as rain by August   Let’s go!
I believe you Otis, you're going to do it. 45 was when i got serious, I'm only 2 years ahead of you. 

Close, I guess.  What I've done for a couple months now is:

• Weekly 40 hour fast - I haven't missed this for 8 weeks in a row now.  I basically eat dinner Tuesday night and then don't eat again until Thursday lunch time.  I will say that I've yet to do a water-only fast - half of those 8 days I've had coffee with sugar free creamer and half I actually have some alcohol (calories).  I'm probably not getting the full benefit and I want to get to where I do water only (we'll see though)
  • IF virtually the rest of the time.  And a more standard 18/6 is my usual - no breakfast, lunch at noon and dinner at 6:00
  • Low carb most of the time, most weeks would be in the Keto range, some just low-ish carb
  • I have drank alcohol pretty much the whole time.  I would probably have lost another 3-5 pounds over those 8 weeks if I had eliminated alcohol - I just don't want to
The longer I go with all this and pay attention to health and fitness, it becomes more and more obvious that there is no right way to do this.  You have to do what you can handle and stick to.  There's many different paths to weight loss, you just got find yours.
40? I do a lot of 12-16 hour fasting, sometimes I will go a whole day. That's incredible. 

I would need cocaine to not eat for 40 hours, then I could do it in my sleep...well i wouldn't really be sleeping. 

I'm 6-3 and I would like to see what 165 looks like, I'd like to see what 175 looks like for a whole month, hard for me to break 180 too often.

40? I do a lot of 12-16 hour fasting, sometimes I will go a whole day. That's incredible. 

I would need cocaine to not eat for 40 hours, then I could do it in my sleep...well i wouldn't really be sleeping. 
I'd be lying if I said it was easy.  But as I've mentioned, I like that it allows me to do something simple - note, it's simple but not easy - and I feel it has really helped my mental outlook with food. 

Forgot to post earlier, and I'm running out to the bar, so,,,a good night's sleep made all the difference, as expected. Pace this morning was 18:04. :bowtie:

The scale says I gained 0.3 pounds this week, tipping back over 270. I know what I'm doing works, so I guess I just need to come with more force, like they say in the NBA. :oldunsure:

I'd be lying if I said it was easy.  But as I've mentioned, I like that it allows me to do something simple - note, it's simple but not easy - and I feel it has really helped my mental outlook with food. 
I actually think it’s not that hard. We’re programmed with this absurd new default that you have to eat a minimum of 3 times per day. Humankind never did that other than during this last 0.00001% of our existence.  We aren’t built for this constant assault on our digestive systems. It’s why we’re all fat and sick. We eat too much and too often. It’s that simple.  I never feel as good as I do after I haven’t eaten for two days but just guzzle a ton of water. 

Rode Soquel Demo Forest in Santa Cruz on the mountain bike today after having drank beers all day yesterday. (I also got a nice ride in yesterday to justify the drinking). 21 miles, 3,700ft of elevation gain.  My Garmin died towards the end of the ride, but my neighbor who is skinnier, in better shape and always burns significantly fewer calories than I do on our rides burned over 2,400.  I’m guessing I probably burned over 3,000 active calories. Ate/drank like #### afterwards, but I don’t care. It was a hell of a workout. 

According to to the scale, these past 2-3 weeks have been pretty epic.  Oof.  Weighed in for the first time today, I managed to put on 11lbs in that period.  Surely some of this is birthday weekend bloat, but boy, I hate giving back all that progress on the scale.  Rebooting today.  Off the booze, and starting off with a fast to give my body a break.  Got some bone broth, which is supposedly the best thing to do during a fast — we’ll give it a whirl, see where it leads.  I’m not setting any specific fasting timelines — planning to go at least a day or two in this first one, and then we’ll see; also planning to get the dog back out for daily walks again, which I have neglected recently.  

It’s not even midsummer yet.  There’s still time.  Onwards. 

Back in town. Weight stayed the same as when I left. 185.5 so not bad considering all the drinking. 

It was low 80s with a slight breeze at the beach all last week. Return home and its 98 and humid AF.  :shock:   

~9lbs to go. 
how tall are you?  i fluctuate in the 180's  i prefer sub 185.  haven't cracked the 170's in forever.  

5'9" and getting shorter. At 176 I would be pretty ripped. Its a balance. Too light and I can be pushed around on the basketball court. Too heavy and I lose some speed/stamina. 
i'm a little taller.  i start to see vague hints, of shadows, that might be abs, as i approach 180.   :lmao:  

i'm going to do a bone broth fast, inspired by my colonoscopy prep.  that, and maybe stop drinking all the days.  continue exercising as i do, and see if i can crack that mythical 170 number.  i've made half hearted attempts before.  we shall see.

Wow...  well that was a nice vacation-ish.  Was off for four days, so I ate all the food, drank all the booze, and blew up all the fireworks...  'Murrica!

Already walked the dog almost 2 miles and did a 40-min down dog session w/ a core strength focus.  Boats and crow were not up to my usual standard, but I guess that happens w/ 4 days of sloth behavior.  

Back at it today.

Keep up the good work!

Walked the dog. Bone broth for dinner. Pretty starving today so I also had a mini bag of pretzels. Will head to bed soon, repeat tomorrow. Maybe I’ll have dinner tomorrow night, would rather push through another day. Will see how I feel. 

Did a 30-min HIIT workout today with the down dog app.  Got a good sweat going, so that was nice.  Also just walked the dog about 1.5 miles.  

Was under my calories yesterday, until the wife came home and unloaded her work stress on me which made both of us have drinks.   :bag:

It is a new day!

Keep up the good work!

Down about 5lbs from yesterday’s absurd weigh in.  Still about 6lbs above my low of a few weeks ago.  Going to plan to plow through another day of fasting today.

DA RAIDERS said:
i'm a little taller.  i start to see vague hints, of shadows, that might be abs, as i approach 180.   :lmao:  

i'm going to do a bone broth fast, inspired by my colonoscopy prep.  that, and maybe stop drinking all the days.  continue exercising as i do, and see if i can crack that mythical 170 number.  i've made half hearted attempts before.  we shall see.
It’s all about the lighting! 

What are these new little hand clapping things we have hanging under the avatars now? I miss a couple days and I come back and I get some signal notification thing, thought maybe my controls were reset or something and then suddenly we fave @STEADYMOBBIN 22 has become an "explorer" around here 😆

Yesterday I had a pretty intense headache.  Thought to check my bp and it was high.  I dealt with this last year and have dropped over 20lb since then and it has been in control for the most part.  I guess eating poorly and drinking too much over the last week has raised it again.  Sheesh.  Getting old is just no fun.  

Did a 40-min down dog yoga session with upper body strength focus this morning.  Also already walked the dog almost two miles.  

Was under calories and off booze yesterday.  My sodium was a little over 2200mg.  Going to try to keep it down under 2000 going forward.  (That was key for me in controlling my bp in the past.)

Keep up the good work!

Poke_4_Life said:
Yesterday I had a pretty intense headache.  Thought to check my bp and it was high.  I dealt with this last year and have dropped over 20lb since then and it has been in control for the most part.  I guess eating poorly and drinking too much over the last week has raised it again.  Sheesh.  Getting old is just no fun.  

Did a 40-min down dog yoga session with upper body strength focus this morning.  Also already walked the dog almost two miles.  

Was under calories and off booze yesterday.  My sodium was a little over 2200mg.  Going to try to keep it down under 2000 going forward.  (That was key for me in controlling my bp in the past.)

Keep up the good work!
my first walk/run/hike, after my colonoscopy, was gnarly.  i guess it was flushing out the propofol.  my heart rate was 30bpm higher than normal, in the difficult bits.  it went back to normal during the same route, the next day.  scary.

Down to 225 and change this morning.  Still 4lbs over my min weight of a few weeks ago.  That’s fine.  But really if we’re going to make any progress, we gotta get going.

Oh and I haven’t eaten in like 3 days (I think Monday night was my last meal).  Not feeling so Superman this time.  A little weak and light headed.  I may or may not eat tonight.  Maybe I’ll just power through…

Users who are viewing this thread