What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Otis fad diet thread — yoga, fasting, and kevzilla walking on🚶‍♂️ (13 Viewers)

Yesterday I ran for the first time in..... :oldunsure:  a very long time. (I used to run 6 miles every other day but decided it was too rough on my legs and usually only do sprints on grass or ride my bike)

Felt pretty good. Probably only did a mile or two, some of it walking but mostly running. Legs are sore today but I feel good. 

Keep it up folks. 

Poke_4_Life said:
Was under calories and off booze yesterday.  My sodium was a little over 2200mg.  Going to try to keep it down under 2000 going forward.  (That was key for me in controlling my bp in the past.)

Keep up the good work!
What are some good low-sodium foods that you like? This week I started using MyFitnessPal to track my nutrition, and while my intake of fat & sugar has been cut down to an acceptable level, I’m apparently still struggling with sodium. Lots of foods out there with unexpectedly high sodium content.

Last edited by a moderator:
Seriously gang, it’s not an eating disorder.  It’s a totally effing genius food hack.

Diet nerds: Otis, just have salads and steamed kale 5 times a day and you can be thin!

Otis: How about I just skip eating for a couple days and then have tacos and beer?  

Seriously why should I eat all sorts of stuff I don’t like?  Why not just eat stuff I LOVE and then just eat less frequently!

Had a big win at work so broke the fast tonight.  Some delicious chicken cutlets (I don’t see veggies around at the moment, sorry greens!) and some wine and cookies.  WINNING

Work calamities have sent me off the rails the past 10 days.  I've still fit in my yoga every day, but when I saw that today's Adriene was Total Body Deep Core, I said NFW.  Looked at tomorrow's instead and saw it was "Yoga Rinse," which when I started it up Adriene explained was meant for horrible work days and when you're full of bad juju.  #### yeah!  I did the 20-minute session, which made me feel better for 3.4 seconds before lapsing back into a migraine, excruciating back and neck pain, and a bad attitude.  

Yesterday I ran for the first time in..... :oldunsure:  a very long time. (I used to run 6 miles every other day but decided it was too rough on my legs and usually only do sprints on grass or ride my bike)

Felt pretty good. Probably only did a mile or two, some of it walking but mostly running. Legs are sore today but I feel good. 

Keep it up folks. 
Now he's an enthusiast

Seriously gang, it’s not an eating disorder.  It’s a totally effing genius food hack.

Diet nerds: Otis, just have salads and steamed kale 5 times a day and you can be thin!

Otis: How about I just skip eating for a couple days and then have tacos and beer?  

Seriously why should I eat all sorts of stuff I don’t like?  Why not just eat stuff I LOVE and then just eat less frequently!

Had a big win at work so broke the fast tonight.  Some delicious chicken cutlets (I don’t see veggies around at the moment, sorry greens!) and some wine and cookies.  WINNING
I kind of agree with this. People think dieting means forcing yourself to eat food you don't like until you can't do it anymore. Then they stop and eat food they like again, until they inevitably put the weight back on.  

I don't eat salads either.  I found some healthy foods I enjoy and I eat those.  I only eat about 7 fruits and 7 vegetables and kale isn't one of them. But I make sure to get them into my day almost every single day.

I do eat foods I love.  All the time.  I had wine last night and a bagel with cream cheese yesterday, a cheeseburger the day before and pepperoni pizza the day before that. 

The thing that appeals to you about fasting seems to be that you think you can pig out on absolute garbage for a few days and then just stop eating altogether, and still lose weight.  You're doing the McDonald's diet but without the medical supervision.  It's not a life hack, it's dangerous. 

But with one small tweak you could make it much healthier.  Instead of fasting for full days between these pig-out sessions, just have a little healthy food.  Mixed berries and greek yogurt.  A bowl of vegetables. A homemade burrito bowl.  Something.

Then cut down on the amount of food by the same amount when you do pig out.  You can still have those big cheat days. 

What I'm worried about right now is that you are loading up your gut with absolute garbage - which is nothing new except that you're not holding yourself back at all and it sounds like you're deliberately avoiding anything healthy when you do.  So your diet has somehow actually gotten worse. You'll have this huge backlog of wine and cookie mush mixed in a slurry with chicken cutlets and tortilla chips, all oozing its way through your intestines into a lump in your belly.  Then you fast and don't push any of it through your system, then you eat another monster meal. 

And now comes the deuce of the century.  Like a diamond, pressure and time will compress this onslaught of undigestables into an absolute wrecking ball through your rectum, a porcelain denting turd potato that leaves you with nothing but cramps and hemorrhoids.  

I know people say this about every one of these awful fad diets you've tried but you are literally so full of #### right now

What are some good low-sodium foods that you like? This week I started using MyFitnessPal to track my nutrition, and while my intake of fat & sugar has been cut down to an acceptable level, I’m apparently still struggling with sodium. Lots of foods out there with unexpectedly high sodium content.
The only way I can seem to limit sodium is by eating mostly foods that don't come from a package.  Everything that is purchased on the shelf in the grocery store has too much sodium.  I spend a lot of time comparing nutrition labels and researching restaurant menus online.  

I really like the Dax spices.  They are no salt, but still have good flavor.  I use them all the time when I grill meats.  I will add a bit of salt to the meat still, but it is much less than normal seasoning.  The Green, Red, Greek, and Blackened are great.  Steakhouse and Taco Knight not so much.  

Already walked the dog almost 2 miles and completed a 30-min a HIIT workout (down dog app, again).  I'm actually hoping to get a restorative yoga session later as well.  My last HIIT session left me kinda sore, it includes stretching but it's just not much.  

Was relatively under my calories yesterday, but did have a little booze. Ugh.  

Keep up the good work!

End of week update --

Exercise:
4 walks / 16.35 miles / 2100 calories burned

Keeping steady on my distance and 4x/week leg strengthening exercises. Two of my walks were a bit slower than usual so calories burned took a slight dip from last week, but on Tuesday's 6-miler I did set a single-walk PR for both pace and calories burned. The knee pain popped up on this morning's walk after being virtually nonexistent all week, I'm hoping that was just due to inadequate stretching. Will keep an eye on it.

Diet:

As mentioned upthread, I started tracking my nutrition with the MyFitnessPal app this week. Overall I was pretty happy with what I found, but my sodium levels were still awfully high -- I'm finding a lot of sodium in unexpected places. The English muffin I have with breakfast apparently contains 25% of my recommended daily intake.  :loco:  Will be shopping around for lower-sodium brands.

I'm going to be visiting my parents for a few days next week and we already have multiple restaurant trips planned, so I'm expecting the diet to get a little ugly. To keep things from getting totally out of control, I think my goal will be to walk 20 miles rather than 16 and limit myself to <=6 drinks. It's now been one month since I started all these changes and I'm feeling pretty good, keep up the good work everyone!

The only way I can seem to limit sodium is by eating mostly foods that don't come from a package.  Everything that is purchased on the shelf in the grocery store has too much sodium. 
@caustic

this.  it's also the answer for every other, "how do i to eat healthier", question. 

eta: thought i should expand on this a little.  basically, if you make your food from scratch, you control what goes into it.  wife and i went for Chinese food last night.  it was delicious.  however, i could feel all the sugar and salt in the food.  gonna need to sweat that crap out today.

our bone broth is on day 3, in the crock pot.  smells unreal.  my wife added chicken feet to it, for some extra gelatin.  gonna be delicious.  

As mentioned upthread, I started tracking my nutrition with the MyFitnessPal app this week. Overall I was pretty happy with what I found, but my sodium levels were still awfully high -- I'm finding a lot of sodium in unexpected places. The English muffin I have with breakfast apparently contains 25% of my recommended daily intake.  :loco:  Will be shopping around for lower-sodium brands.

I'm going to be visiting my parents for a few days next week and we already have multiple restaurant trips planned, so I'm expecting the diet to get a little ugly. To keep things from getting totally out of control, I think my goal will be to walk 20 miles rather than 16 and limit myself to <=6 drinks. It's now been one month since I started all these changes and I'm feeling pretty good, keep up the good work everyone!
Good work.  Also, restaurants have way too much salt in all their food.  If you can, look for the best options before you go but it's very, very hard.  It also doesn't make sense. 

Here's an example.  Wife and I like to have Panera occasionally, for their salads.  Their side item bag of chips has less salt than the baguette (and also less calories).  Stuff like that makes no sense to me.  

Good work.  Also, restaurants have way too much salt in all their food.  If you can, look for the best options before you go but it's very, very hard.  It also doesn't make sense. 

Here's an example.  Wife and I like to have Panera occasionally, for their salads.  Their side item bag of chips has less salt than the baguette (and also less calories).  Stuff like that makes no sense to me.  
The sodium content of bread has been one of the biggest surprises for me. I got a Panera summer corn chowder bread bowl for dinner recently -- I knew it wasn't the healthiest option ever, but I figured it would be better than a burger & fries. Realized later that it had a whole day's worth of sodium, and almost half of that was from the bread! We also got Chipotle bowls the other night since they were buy one get one free, and even though I tried to be judicious (brown rice, no meat, etc.) my bowl still clocked in at 2,000 mg of sodium -- I guess the salsas are pretty bad. It's rough out there.

The sodium content of bread has been one of the biggest surprises for me. I got a Panera summer corn chowder bread bowl for dinner recently -- I knew it wasn't the healthiest option ever, but I figured it would be better than a burger & fries. Realized later that it had a whole day's worth of sodium, and almost half of that was from the bread! We also got Chipotle bowls the other night since they were buy one get one free, and even though I tried to be judicious (brown rice, no meat, etc.) my bowl still clocked in at 2,000 mg of sodium -- I guess the salsas are pretty bad. It's rough out there.
Chipotle is another thing we get from time to time...  I've had to start using my own salsas...  theirs have stupid amounts of sodium.  You're better off using something at home from a jar or even a bottle of Cholula. 

This week:  232 lbs       Last week:  229 lbs

Change:  +3 lbs               Loss to date:  49 lbs

------------------------------

Target weight:  207 lbs

March 12:   281 lbs  
March 19:   274 lbs
March 26:   270 lbs
April 2:       265 lbs
April 9:       262 lbs
April 16:     259 lbs
April 23:     256 lbs
April 30:     254 lbs
May 7:       251 lbs
May 14:     249 lbs
May 21:     246 lbs
May 28:     245 lbs
June 4:      239 lbs
June 11:    235 lbs
June 18:   235 lbs
June 25:   231 lbs
July 2:      229 lbs
July 9:      232 lbs
Very lousy week. Got sick on the weekend, just a cold as far as I know, not Covid. But I did little besides work, eat and sleep.  No exercise until yesterday I felt back to normal and got my first ride in for the week.  Put 3 lbs back on eating delivery and not caring about the calories.

Will have to see if I can lose it back this week.  Missed a phys therapy appt for the shoulder, though the one I had yesterday, they said to stop doing the exercises until next week anyway as it has been pretty painful since I reinjured it lifting something heavier than I expected.  Will send me back to the doctor for an MRI if it doesn't improve in the remaining 2 1/2 weeks I have with them.

Eating out when dieting should generally be avoided. It's probably the most important piece to prioritize once into maintenance mode, but if it's a regular part of someone's diet that is trying to lose weight it's akin to swimming upstream. You probably won't enjoy the meal if you make a pragmatic decision, so why bother.

I kind of agree with this. People think dieting means forcing yourself to eat food you don't like until you can't do it anymore. Then they stop and eat food they like again, until they inevitably put the weight back on.  

I don't eat salads either.  I found some healthy foods I enjoy and I eat those.  I only eat about 7 fruits and 7 vegetables and kale isn't one of them. But I make sure to get them into my day almost every single day.

I do eat foods I love.  All the time.  I had wine last night and a bagel with cream cheese yesterday, a cheeseburger the day before and pepperoni pizza the day before that. 

The thing that appeals to you about fasting seems to be that you think you can pig out on absolute garbage for a few days and then just stop eating altogether, and still lose weight.  You're doing the McDonald's diet but without the medical supervision.  It's not a life hack, it's dangerous. 

But with one small tweak you could make it much healthier.  Instead of fasting for full days between these pig-out sessions, just have a little healthy food.  Mixed berries and greek yogurt.  A bowl of vegetables. A homemade burrito bowl.  Something.

Then cut down on the amount of food by the same amount when you do pig out.  You can still have those big cheat days. 

What I'm worried about right now is that you are loading up your gut with absolute garbage - which is nothing new except that you're not holding yourself back at all and it sounds like you're deliberately avoiding anything healthy when you do.  So your diet has somehow actually gotten worse. You'll have this huge backlog of wine and cookie mush mixed in a slurry with chicken cutlets and tortilla chips, all oozing its way through your intestines into a lump in your belly.  Then you fast and don't push any of it through your system, then you eat another monster meal. 

And now comes the deuce of the century.  Like a diamond, pressure and time will compress this onslaught of undigestables into an absolute wrecking ball through your rectum, a porcelain denting turd potato that leaves you with nothing but cramps and hemorrhoids.  

I know people say this about every one of these awful fad diets you've tried but you are literally so full of #### right now
This is fair.  This works when I fast a couple days and then eat in moderation, and relatively healthy food, as normal for some days.  Fast and then binge is a bad recipe.  But there’s a happy and healthy medium in there.

This is fair.  This works when I fast a couple days and then eat in moderation, and relatively healthy food, as normal for some days.  Fast and then binge is a bad recipe.  But there’s a happy and healthy medium in there.
This is exactly right but you tend to lose sight of it when you're alternating between the throes of a food orgy and the postmortem shame cycle.  Training yourself to believe that it's ok to go completely off the rails if you just don't eat for a few days afterwards is really dangerous because it appeals to "double cheeseburger meal with 20 mcnuggets and booze" Otis as well as "full Bale wasn't extreme enough" Otis.  You're enabling your worst self by telling it that it's ok to eat terribly because the consequence is just a day or two of fasting later. 

The change i would personally make is to still allow myself the occasional binge day, because it seems like that's really important to you.  Practice recovering from it by getting back on a healthier eating plan of your choice the next day, but preferably one that includes some healthy foods.  Track all the stuff you ate and get a sense for how many days of healthy it takes to recover from one day of Caligula and keep it in mind for your next binge.  Try to find some foods that you actually like that aren't as bad for you - veggies and dip at the barbecue, or a hamburger instead of a cheeseburger, maybe try grilling sweet potato fries or prosciutto wrapped pineapple chunks - and see if it takes less time to recover.  Introducing new foods into the equation might actually keep you from eating more bad ones. 

But when you are done, you don't get to fast for a day and erase your sins. I would make sure you still eat some nutrients, which will make it take longer, which will keep bad Otis from believing that he can come out whenever he wants because there are no consequences.  

That's just my approach though. I am not a doctor and this is not medical advice.  Consult your doctor before beginning this or any diet or exercise program.

Walked at an 18:21 pace despite considerable back tightness. Possibly related: didn't get a lot of sleep last night. Also, my office chair committed seppuku this morning and tried to take me with it, so there's a large and heavy box in my future.

The scale says I gained 1.2  pounds this week. That's four in a row. If it's not a smaller number on Friday morning, there's going to be consequences.

Fred is so right. I need to focus more on overall health, because that’s the point here. 

I still believe the fasting is beneficial for many reasons, and I will continue using it as a tool. But, when I am eating, I need to generally put good stuff in my body. And I also need to get back to exercising. The walks with the dog are nice, but my new Apple Watch is telling me I should be getting 30 minutes of exercise too. 

So maybe the right combination is sporadic fasting, as I have been; but eating healthy foods and more veggies when I do eat; and get back on the rower for 30 minutes a day.  That’s what I’d like to do. 

Fred is so right. I need to focus more on overall health, because that’s the point here. 

I still believe the fasting is beneficial for many reasons, and I will continue using it as a tool. But, when I am eating, I need to generally put good stuff in my body. And I also need to get back to exercising. The walks with the dog are nice, but my new Apple Watch is telling me I should be getting 30 minutes of exercise too. 

So maybe the right combination is sporadic fasting, as I have been; but eating healthy foods and more veggies when I do eat; and get back on the rower for 30 minutes a day.  That’s what I’d like to do. 
I would love this post even more if you weren't replying to my Saturday morning post on Sunday night. 

But yes, if fasting works for you and your doctor doesn't think it's a problem then incorporating it into a healthy diet sounds good. And having nutritious food and exercise on most of the non fasting days sounds good. And having some blow outs is probably fine.  There seems to be some good from each of the things you've tried, so pulling it all together could maybe finally be the answer.  I'm rooting for you.  Lfg

Did my first drunk yoga yesterday.  Had wine tasting plans with friends at 1 pm, which of course became sloppy.  I'd spent the morning walking back and forth to the farmers market and then back "downtown" for wine tasting, so my yoga had to wait until I got home.  I decided to forgo the 58-minute one on Adriene's calendar yesterday (though I did it today) and chose a shorter one from later in the week.  Little did I know it involved a lot of balancing poses.  Oops, those didn't go so well.  :lmao:

I'm kinda proud to have kept my everyday yoga streak going, though, instead of napping.

I burned 1,700 calories on the mountain bike in Tahoe today. It’s seeming like my plans for riding around the lake are not going to work out…. just too many other outdoor activists keep getting planned with family members, which is why I love this place. Taking my son out to show him some trails tomorrow.

I did have a few post-ride beers, but also swam in the lake and my lunch was cucumber and hummus with grapes and plums. Feels good to get a day of amazing physical activity and good diet in. 

I burned 1,700 calories on the mountain bike in Tahoe today. It’s seeming like my plans for riding around the lake are not going to work out…. just too many other outdoor activists keep getting planned with family members, which is why I love this place. Taking my son out to show him some trails tomorrow.

I did have a few post-ride beers, but also swam in the lake and my lunch was cucumber and hummus with grapes and plums. Feels good to get a day of amazing physical activity and good diet in. 
i'm headed up there friday.  north lake.  you still going to be there?

Did my first drunk yoga yesterday.  Had wine tasting plans with friends at 1 pm, which of course became sloppy.  I'd spent the morning walking back and forth to the farmers market and then back "downtown" for wine tasting, so my yoga had to wait until I got home.  I decided to forgo the 58-minute one on Adriene's calendar yesterday (though I did it today) and chose a shorter one from later in the week.  Little did I know it involved a lot of balancing poses.  Oops, those didn't go so well.  :lmao:

I'm kinda proud to have kept my everyday yoga streak going, though, instead of napping.
Does she have any for dudes who spent hours ripping out vines and digging up sod yesterday and forgot they were middle aged?

As usual, didn't go to sleep when I should on Sunday night. When I got up, I decided it was too rainy to walk, but I didn't go back to bed for an extra hour, either. Couldn't have played it any worse. At least the cloud cover kept me from broasting at noon, it was more of a sous vide thing. Pace was 18:50.

bummer.  if you'll be around, i'll be getting some exercise in, saturday morning.  and then, i'm up for an afternoon beverage somewhere.
Will let you know.  Our plan right now is to leave Saturday morning, but we may choose to leave late Saturday night so that we get more time up here.... or even just leave Sunday, which would probably be my preference.  My wife isn't too thrilled on the idea of staying an extra day so I can get more mountain biking in when I'm leaving on a guys trip for 4 days next week to mountain bike in Downieville.

Will let you know.  Our plan right now is to leave Saturday morning, but we may choose to leave late Saturday night so that we get more time up here.... or even just leave Sunday, which would probably be my preference.  My wife isn't too thrilled on the idea of staying an extra day so I can get more mountain biking in when I'm leaving on a guys trip for 4 days next week to mountain bike in Downieville.
see ya Saturday!

Well it was a weekend, got lots of exercise but ate all the food and drank all the booze...  anyway...  

Did a 40-min down dog session today with core strength focus.  This one was had a twist in there was a side plank with a tree pose leg for the top leg while having the top arm extended out also.  Added a new level of complexity for sure.  I was able to complete the boat poses which was nice, as I usually struggle with them on a Monday after a bad weekend.  

Also walked the dog almost 2 miles, but we do that everyday.  

Keep up the good work!

Did a 40-min down dog yoga session today with a upper body strength focus.  This one had two crows, I did better on the first, and a bridge pose with one leg raised.  Those bridges like that are rough.  Also walked the dog almost 2 miles.

Was under calories and just barely over my sodium yesterday.  (Didn't do any exercise other than walk the dog yesterday, just wasn't feeling it.)

Keep up the good work!

This is the type of content I am all for.  Otis you just keep being Otis!

As for my dieting, I keep wanting to get below 190lbs but can't seem to do it.  I keep bouncing around 190 to a bit above 195.  

I felt good this morning, but I was determined to avoid going out too hard too early, causing unnecessary back pain. I was willing to sacrifice some time, but my pace wound up being 18:27, so for today at least, I struck a nice balance.
I feel like the more problems you describe, the faster your pace tends to be.  Strong work.

Could have used a little more breeze this morning, but we're contractually prohibited from whining if the temperature starts with a 7. I had to lighten up on the throttle to get around without back pain, and my pace drifted up to 18:47. I can live with that.

Did you think I was taking my birthday off? Do you know who I am? Pace was 18:49.

The scale says I lost 2.7 pounds this week. I turn 60 at a lower weight than 50...than 40...than 35.

I have you guys to thank for a lot of this. Off to celebrate all weekend, but you know I'll be out there tomorrow.

Users who are viewing this thread