What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR JuJu Smith-Schuster, NE (2 Viewers)

should be a decent volume play this week

I have another pretty good option (Sutton) but I think he's a great start v the Bengals with Diontae sidelined

JuJu Smith-Schuster (ribs) got in a limited practice on Thursday.

A welcome sign after he missed Wednesday. Smith-Schuster was considered day-to-day after the injury and this is trending in the right direction for him being available against the Packers. Considering he's yet to crack 52 yards in a game on the season, this probably isn't going to be his breakout spot if he does play. Factoring in the pain tolerance aspect of playing through this injury, he's probably on the WR4/5 line. 

Sep 30, 2021, 4:37 PM ET

JuJu Smith-Schuster caught just 2-of-8 targets for 11 yards in the Steelers' Week 4 loss to the Packers.

JuJu's career tailspin has continued through the first four weeks. He has just 15 catches for 119 scoreless yards on 27 targets four games into the season. Big Ben missed him on a touchdown in this one, sailing a pass over JuJu's head in the red zone. Diontae Johnson is the lone playable wideout in Pittsburgh; he has 34 targets in three games played and went 9-92-1 on 12 targets Sunday. JuJu will be a WR6 next week against the Broncos.

Steelers have ruled WR JuJu Smith-Schuster out of Week 5 with a shoulder injury

Smith-Schuster took a hit from Kareem Jackson in the first half and exited immediately. He appeared to be a great deal of pain on the sideline when trainers were examining him. His status will need to be monitored this week, heading into Week 6 against the Seahawks.

SOURCE: Jenna Harner on Twitter

Oct 10, 2021, 2:57 PM ET

JuJu Smith-Schuster caught 0-of-1 target in the Steelers' Week 5 win over the Broncos, adding two rushes for six yards.

The big story here is that Smith-Schuster injured his shoulder on one of his two carries. He appeared to be in serious pain on the sideline as trainers worked with him. His status will need to be monitored for Week 6 against the Seahawks. If healthy he will be in FLEX consideration, in what may be a low volume passing day as the Steelers take on an Geno Smith and an exploitable run defense.

Oct 10, 2021, 5:04 PM ET

Steelers are expected to put JuJu Smith-Schuster on injured reserve and are fearful he will miss rest of the season after injuring his shoulder vs Broncos, per Gerry Dulac of Pittsburgh Post Gazette

JuJu Smith-Schuster will have shoulder surgery and is out for the remainder of the 2021 season. 

The writing was on the wall after Smith-Schuster suffered a painful shoulder injury on a vicious hit against Denver. Smith-Schuster, 25 in November, will enter free agency in 2022 without having shown he's anything more than a serviceable slot receiver. It's a steep fall for what was one of the NFL's most exciting rookies in 2017. His season-ending injury will open up more targets for Chase Claypool and Diontae Johnson.

- Ian Rapoport, Twitter

Entering 2022, Ju-Ju's team situation is up in the air, but it would seem his role would be relatively the same wherever he lands.  Maybe I'm overly optimistic, but I'm buying right now.  Where would you rank Ju-Ju in dynasty?  Other long-term thoughts/projections?

Entering 2022, Ju-Ju's team situation is up in the air, but it would seem his role would be relatively the same wherever he lands.  Maybe I'm overly optimistic, but I'm buying right now.  Where would you rank Ju-Ju in dynasty?  Other long-term thoughts/projections?
He's a buy right now, but he could also land in a situation where it's a bad team, bad qb, or both.

JohnnyU said:
He's a buy right now, but he could also land in a situation where it's a bad team, bad qb, or both.
Bad QB, bad offense, or both would be my only concern.  Juju seems like a decent talent, but he does need to land in an average or above average situation to be a difference maker.  Not sure you could put him in Detroit and expect anything more than 30 other wideouts can provide.

Does anyone recall the other organizations that showed interest in him last offseason?

Bad QB, bad offense, or both would be my only concern.  Juju seems like a decent talent, but he does need to land in an average or above average situation to be a difference maker.  Not sure you could put him in Detroit and expect anything more than 30 other wideouts can provide.

Does anyone recall the other organizations that showed interest in him last offseason?
KC would be a great landing spot obviously.  They really don't have a WR2 in my mind.  Hardman isn't it.

Looking to stash a few potential keeper guys in this last week of waivers.

With Gallup and Godwin recently tearing their ACLs, this might open up more FA opportunities for a next-tier guy like JuJu if a team thinks he can resurrect his career.

Thoughts on his FA prospects?

Looking to stash a few potential keeper guys in this last week of waivers.

With Gallup and Godwin recently tearing their ACLs, this might open up more FA opportunities for a next-tier guy like JuJu if a team thinks he can resurrect his career.

Thoughts on his FA prospects?

Tough to get too excited about him after seeing the lukewarm interest he got last year...he is still young and if he ends up in the right situation he can still be productive, but I don't think he will ever be the player we thought he would be early in his career...if his current Owner isn't looking for much he isn't a bad addition as long as you don't plan on relying on him.

The Pittsburgh Post-Gazette reports JuJu Smith-Schuster (shoulder) is "healthy enough to play" in the Wild Card Round but is unlikely to be activated to face the Chiefs. 

Gerry Dulac reports the Steelers are "hoping" Smith-Schuster can go, but that they are "not planning on it right now." It would seem Smith-Schuster has gained medical clearance but is not in football shape after sitting on the shelf since Week 5. The takeaway would seem to be that Smith-Schuster might be ready for the Divisional Round if the Steelers pull off a Sunday night miracle in Kansas City.  

SOURCE: Gerry Dulac on Twitter 

Jan 13, 2022, 7:29 PM ET

Steelers activated WR JuJu Smith-Schuster (shoulder) from injured reserve.

Smith-Schuster will play in Sunday's Wild Card game against the Chiefs. The Steelers didn't clear Smith-Schuster to practice until this week, making in unlikely he sees a full-time role coming off a three-month absence. The 25-year-old gives the Steelers an upgrade as the No. 3 receiver behind Chase Claypool and Diontae Johnson, but shouldn't cut into their target shares.

Jan 15, 2022, 2:49 PM ET

ESPN's Brooke Pryor said JuJu Smith-Schuster is "likely" to return to the Steelers in 2022. 

Smith-Schuster took far less money in free agency last year to stay in Pittsburgh for what turned out to be an injury-marred, low-production season for the slot receiver. Thanks in part to a shoulder injury that wiped out more than half his season, Smith-Schuster probably failed to drum up any interest among teams outside Pittsburgh. Pryor said Smith-Schuster would "keep an eye" on the team's quarterback situation, but it can hardly be worse than what Ben Roethlisberger brought to the table in 2021. 

SOURCE: ESPN.com 

Jan 25, 2022, 12:19 PM ET

I've lost ability to understand what makes JJSS tick. Maybe being a #3 WR on a team without a clear 2022 QB is his dream job. 

Or maybe he realizes that he’s not going to get a better offer from another team, which somehow I doubt.
Agreed, but it almost feels like he doesn't want to be a FA coming out of last offseason, and the results. I would have thought him to be on the other end of the 'prima donna WR' spectrum than he's been. Seems like he's just Mr. "here, there, money, contract, situation.... whatever."  

Agreed, but it almost feels like he doesn't want to be a FA coming out of last offseason, and the results. I would have thought him to be on the other end of the 'prima donna WR' spectrum than he's been. Seems like he's just Mr. "here, there, money, contract, situation.... whatever."  
As much as many folks like to bash him, maybe he just likes Pittsburgh and his teammates, and isn't motivated by money :shrug:

Last edited by a moderator:
Shuster is more of a solid #2, high #3 type of WR. 

A guy who can thrive when there is a true #1 in the same offense. I would like to see Shuster in Detroit with the right deal.  Of course Detroit still needs a true #1 but they might have that in St. Brown.  St. Brown and Shuster would be a nice start.

As much as many folks like to bash him, maybe he just likes Pittsburgh and his teammates, and isn't motivated by money :shrug:
Don't get me wrong, not intending to bash at all. It's admirable. It's also frustrating as a FF owner to own a young, talented WR who is selfless - or maybe not as self interested.

Don't get me wrong, not intending to bash at all. It's admirable. It's also frustrating as a FF owner to own a young, talented WR who is selfless - or maybe not as self interested.
I agree as a fellow owner - follow the money/opportunity, for cripe's sake.

Shuster is more of a solid #2, high #3 type of WR. 

A guy who can thrive when there is a true #1 in the same offense.
I've seen others with this perspective. I don't agree with it. Guys don't get 111 receptions for 1400 yards because of someone else. JMHO, there's a lot better explanations for JJSS stats slipping post AB (though he did have 97 receptions in 2019), and Ben Roethlisburger aging quickly is at the top of the list for me. 

I've seen others with this perspective. I don't agree with it. Guys don't get 111 receptions for 1400 yards because of someone else. JMHO, there's a lot better explanations for JJSS stats slipping post AB (though he did have 97 receptions in 2019), and Ben Roethlisburger aging quickly is at the top of the list for me. 
I think it’s a bit of recency bias. While he may have peaked already, I think he’s being undervalued these days.

I think it’s a bit of recency bias. While he may have peaked already, I think he’s being undervalued these days.
Oh, it's totally recency bias, perceived as validating concerns raised when AB left. He's struggled with injuries, and had a maddening 1/3 share as Roethlisberger's arm slowly turned into a noodle, and an offense trending toward run first as a consequence. Regardless of whether he's labeled a WR1/WR2, he's a guy who proved he's capable of 100 receptions. I don't buy he needs Uberstar WR on the other end of the formation to do it. He just needs the right offense, the right QB, and a desire to be there.

I would assume Juju signs elsewhere. Big Ben is retiring and he was the main reason that Juju came back to the Steelers. Also, Matt Canada can't figure out how to use him other than for 5 yard routes. He would be a great asset for the Steelers with an especially young WR room that only has 2 WRs signed for next year (Diontae and Claypool) but they wouldn't offer a solid chance at a playoff run or lots of WR production. 

It wasn't just that.   AB's departure, lack of a running game/bad offensive line, injuries and horrible offensive play calling were all factors in JuJu's decline in production as well as Ben's aging.

It wasn't just that.   AB's departure, lack of a running game/bad offensive line, injuries and horrible offensive play calling were all factors in JuJu's decline in production as well as Ben's aging.
Totally agree, that’s why I said list and forgot to include OL issues you mention in my next post. Main point was I don’t view JJSS as some guy who requires a WR1 to be good.

I don't think he can 'easily' return to his 2018 form because AB is gone and Big Ben is nearing the end and Juju never faced the sort of coverage he saw last year without Antonio Brown taking double coverage.  Add James Conner was in top form in 2018 so I don't see him 'easily' returning to 2018 form.  I doubt he was as good as his stats from two years ago when he saw soft coverage and the spotlight wasn't focused-in on him.
Got a lot of blowback for this take when I called it last year when many were predicting upside of his 1,400-yard season thinking he was a legit top WR.

Not even I could predict such a devasting fall.

Yes, he was injured but not only did his target numbers plummet by 100 from 2020 to 2021, he went from 166 targets in 2018 to only 28 last year.

The reason I doubted him is because he was the beneficiary of AB getting bracketed coverage much like OBJ who struggled in Cleveland for years when faced with bracket coverage until he went to LA and now benefits from triple-crown winning top WR in the NFL Cooper Kupp so he's feasting on easy/bad coverage Ju-Ju went the opposite direction.

Doubt the Steelers will invest in him unless they use him to land a big FA QB but I doubt that happens either so his value will be determined by where he goes and the role he'll play.

Got a lot of blowback for this take when I called it last year when many were predicting upside of his 1,400-yard season thinking he was a legit top WR.

Yes, he was injured but not only did his target numbers plummet by 100 from 2020 to 2021, he went from 166 targets in 2018 to only 28 last year.

The reason I doubted him is because he was the beneficiary of AB getting bracketed coverage much like OBJ who struggled in Cleveland for years when faced with bracket coverage until he went to LA and now benefits from triple-crown winning top WR in the NFL Cooper Kupp so he's feasting on easy/bad coverage Ju-Ju went the opposite direction.

Doubt the Steelers will invest in him unless they use him to land a big FA QB but I doubt that happens either so his value will be determined by where he goes and the role he'll play.
Fair points - many #2 WRs thrive when they have a dominant WR alongside them to take away pressure. Only a few have proven to thrive even if they're the only game in town (e.g., Adams, Hopkins, Evans (pre-Godwin), Thomas).

Going to KC may be one of those great landing spots for JuJu given the attention that Hill and (an eventually aging) Kelce provide in a high octane passing offense.

Did they ever even have him run routes that were further than 3 yards from the LOS?  The few times I have seen him the last 2 years it looked like he was an extension of the run game.

Did they ever even have him run routes that were further than 3 yards from the LOS?  The few times I have seen him the last 2 years it looked like he was an extension of the run game.
Had a look at PFF data. This year was obviously a wash, but in 2020 he ranked 194th out of 200 WRs in terms of average depth per target (ADOT). In 2019 and 2018 (the latter being his monster year) he was in the 150s, and in his rookie year of 2017 he was 129th. So yes, he's always been more of a slot/underneath guy.

• Thanks
Reactions: Hoh
Had a look at PFF data. This year was obviously a wash, but in 2020 he ranked 194th out of 200 WRs in terms of average depth per target (ADOT). In 2019 and 2018 (the latter being his monster year) he was in the 150s, and in his rookie year of 2017 he was 129th. So yes, he's always been more of a slot/underneath guy.
Did he run mostly the same type of routes in college?  If not, then why did they change him?

Did he run mostly the same type of routes in college?  If not, then why did they change him?
I didn't really follow him in college, so others may have a better view on this. Perhaps with Brown already in the fold, JuJu might have filled a more complementary role as a slot guy and just excelled there.

I disagree entirely that AB was the result of JuJu's decline or that bracket coverage had remotely anything to do with OBJ's lack of success in Cleveland.

I just don't know how to filter through all the noise when it comes to Pittsburgh and their WRs. And to me the noise consists of this:

1 - Not trying to convince anyone who disagrees but for me I saw major decline with Ben these last couple years and his ability to throw downfield consistently. Doesn't mean he hasn't thrown the occasional good ball but it is hard for me to take any take on Juju/Claypool/DJ seriously without acknowledging Ben's decline. It will be tempting to bump them up if Pit goes out and gets a splashy QB. 

2 - Pit playcalling has been atrocious. I don't know how much of that is chicken and egg with the OC trying to protect Ben's weakness but the insistence on short throws has been predictable and not very fruitful. You would think that would help Juju, though, and that is probably true. But it just isn't a good offense if that is all it is doing.

3 - Bad OL, Antonio Brown drama, Juju almost leaving, then stays, now what is he going to do, what are they going to do at QB? Basically just more noise. Is he good or just good enough? Do I care? If he produces, I do not.

Bottom line what am I doing with Juju? Holding. I've got a couple nibbles over the last couple years but they are consistently horrible lowball feelers. He can still be a fantasy stud in the right spot. He is still young enough. I mean really if he went to the Chiefs I would want as many shares as I could get. Not because I think he will dominate box scores there, but he will instantly double in value. If Winston or the like comes to Pit I think people will love that as well. If I could get him for a 2nd I would but doubt that gets him from anyone. There may be a few owners out there that can't wait to get rid of him though. IDK. 

Anyone else think Trubisky could end up in Pittsburgh?  I can't imagine them going with Rudolph. 

Anyone else think Trubisky could end up in Pittsburgh?  I can't imagine them going with Rudolph. 
No I don't. I'd like to see it but often don't get what I want.  I think the additions to the QB room will be through the draft  instead of bringing in a third vet to compete with Haskins and Rudolph. I don't know a fellow Steeler fan who likes it,  but Rudolph should be the heavy odds on favorite to at least open the season.

No I don't. I'd like to see it but often don't get what I want.  I think the additions to the QB room will be through the draft  instead of bringing in a third vet to compete with Haskins and Rudolph. I don't know a fellow Steeler fan who likes it,  but Rudolph should be the heavy odds on favorite to at least open the season.
Bad year to be drafting a QB IMO.  Even the so called top QBs like Corral. Pickett, Willis, Howell, Ridder aren't a sure thing, no one is in this draft.  I like Pickett the best.  Besides, they don't have the draft capital to move up and would be foolish to offer up future 1sts to move up in this year's draft for a QB.  They are better off trying to get Trubisky.  The Bears didn't use him right and is usually a terrible place for a young QB.

Bad year to be drafting a QB IMO.  Even the so called top QBs like Corral. Pickett, Willis, Howell, Ridder aren't a sure thing, no one is in this draft.  I like Pickett the best.
I'd say there are no sure thing QB's in any draft and a lot changes from what we think today on some of these QB's and what they might be.

Look back Trubisky's class. At this point in the process many had him or Kizer as 1-2. That draft gave us Mahomes and Watson.

That was NOT considered a strong  QB draft class at all, better then this years but not strong. I mentioned this in a Steelers or Big Ben thread and for reference sake I looked up Daniel Jeremiah's initial top 50 which came out in mid January. Watson was in the 20's, Mahomes did not crack the list.

Mix in some of the COVID crazyness which impacted college football the last two years and I'm not ready to say a QB can't be found in this class, just they all have question marks.  I'd even venture to guess that by the time the Senior Bowl practices wrap up that some significant buzz will start to build for some QB's, and we should start to see some separation.

My guess is some NFL teams will end up liking these QB's more then fans or draft experts do now. Main issue IMO for Steelers is not that they won't be able to identify a top notch QB prospect they  would take in round one but that QB still being available when they are OTC and as you indicated team is not in a position to trade up.

So I agree, I wish they'd sign Trubisky as well. Sign him, dump Haskins, let Trubisky and Rudolph compete and if have a shot at  QB in the draft take it but don't force it is what I wish they'd do. I just don't think they see it that way, would really enjoy being wrong.

Steelers WR JuJu Smith-Schuster said he’s “likely headed” for free agency.

Smith-Schuster re-signed to a one-year, $8 million contract as a free agent last offseason. A shoulder injury limited him to five games before returning for a Wild Card loss to the Chiefs. With Chase Claypool and Diontae Johnson on rookie contracts, the Steelers have cap space to sign one of Smith-Schuster or James Washington this offseason. There should be an active market for Smith-Schuster, who doesn’t turn 26 until November, but it may come in the form of another one-year deal.

SOURCE: Michael Gehlken on Twitter

Feb 6, 2022, 11:56 AM ET

Headed for free agency
Will be an immediate asset to a winning team, IMO.  Still very young, he’s got good hands, runs clean routes. Terrific possession receiver. Would fit in great on the Niners, and would give Lance a reliable underneath target. 

I could think of quite a few teams that could use him, actually. Vikings come to mind, too.

Users who are viewing this thread