What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

⚽ Soccer Match-day Thread (8 Viewers)

Little known fact - The West Brom jerseys they're wearing today with the thin vertical stripes are in fact UPC codes that big clubs can use for live transfer pricing.

Kepa gets a rare start in a meaningless game against Krasnodar and gives up a near-post goal on the first shot he faced.  Its a good thing Stamford Bridge is nearly empty.  I feel terrible for him - back line has once again not done him any favors - but this is uncanny.

Basaksehir have walked off the pitch in their game against PSG.  Assistant ref reportedly made a racist comment to a staff member.
I appload them for it.  Also curious how that affects the game and the group.  replay?

meanwhile Ive never seen a team panic like United is right now.  So many bad decisions and selfish play.  And the ref then books Shaw for a good challenge and warns the bench for complaining about it.

Kepa gets a rare start in a meaningless game against Krasnodar and gives up a near-post goal on the first shot he faced.  Its a good thing Stamford Bridge is nearly empty.  I feel terrible for him - back line has once again not done him any favors - but this is uncanny.
it has to be some weird voodoo stuff.   

His shot to goal ratio would be horrible for the lowest paid player in the Albanian first division much less wearing the albatross of being the most expensive keeper ever.

I appload them for it.  Also curious how that affects the game and the group.  replay?

meanwhile Ive never seen a team panic like United is right now.  So many bad decisions and selfish play.  And the ref then books Shaw for a good challenge and warns the bench for complaining about it.
They are coming back on the field without the offending 4th official 

After their first 2 matches in the group stage, Manchester United needed 4 points in 4 games to qualify for the round of 16.  Unless something changes drastically in the next 45 minutes they're gonna fail to do that.  Gonna start to hear some real rumblings for Ole pretty soon I'll bet.

After their first 2 matches in the group stage, Manchester United needed 4 points in 4 games to qualify for the round of 16.  Unless something changes drastically in the next 45 minutes they're gonna fail to do that.  Gonna start to hear some real rumblings for Ole pretty soon I'll bet.
They're soooo inconsistent. They've looked really good lately, especially away. What happened today?

it has to be some weird voodoo stuff.   

His shot to goal ratio would be horrible for the lowest paid player in the Albanian first division much less wearing the albatross of being the most expensive keeper ever.
Having watched almost every game he's played at Chelsea, I would say the strange thing is he's not had many howlers or objectively bad keeper errors.  Many or most are goals where you think  - "That would have been a great save." or "Cech or Courtois probably would have saved that."  But he very rarely comes up with those great saves, or even the saves like the shot today where it wouldn't even have been "great" and we've come to expect a top level keeper to save them at least half the time.

Having watched almost every game he's played at Chelsea, I would say the strange thing is he's not had many howlers or objectively bad keeper errors.  Many or most are goals where you think  - "That would have been a great save." or "Cech or Courtois probably would have saved that."  But he very rarely comes up with those great saves, or even the saves like the shot today where it wouldn't even have been "great" and we've come to expect a top level keeper to save them at least half the time.
Yeah. Nothing shocking or remotely bad. I haven't seen all the games, but some of the goals I saw him let in looked savable by a top GK.

I don't understand the lineup or the subs Ole has made.  No need for Shaw and Telles to start knowing Shaw won't be 90 fit.  Rashford and Greenwood have been selfish, De gea bad.

That wasn't a foul so it shouldnt of been a PK.

Europa here they come

It really comes down to the loss vs Turkey.  The three top teams went 1-1 against each other.  The team that loses to Turkey goes to the Europa.... United is that team.

UEFA has a big decision to make in handling the PSG Basaksehir game.  Replay?  Both lose?  Draw?

A draw sends them through.  No game puts them behind United on goal diff unless HtH gd is the tie breaker?

ETA, no I don't think United deserve to go through, but also why would PSG get a free pass for the game?

Last edited by a moderator:
It really comes down to the loss vs Turkey.  The three top teams went 1-1 against each other.  The team that loses to Turkey goes to the Europa.... United is that team.

UEFA has a big decision to make in handling the PSG Basaksehir game.  Replay?  Both lose?  Draw?

A draw sends them through.  No game puts them behind United on goal diff unless HtH gd is the tie breaker?

ETA, no I don't think United deserve to go through, but also why would PSG get a free pass for the game?
United is in Europa.  HTH is the first tie breaker and PSG has that over ManU.  I heard a replay tomorrow?  Assuming with a different ref crew?

United is in Europa.  HTH is the first tie breaker and PSG has that over ManU.  I heard a replay tomorrow?  Assuming with a different ref crew?
HTH is 1-1, does it go to goal diff in those games then?

A loss by PSG and their overall GD if worse.

Rumors of a replay but no confirmation yet.

United deserves Europa.  Where they can lose to Jose and Tottenham....

HTH is 1-1, does it go to goal diff in those games then?

A loss by PSG and their overall GD if worse.

Rumors of a replay but no confirmation yet.

United deserves Europa.  Where they can lose to Jose and Tottenham....
Yep, the HTH is handled as if they were in the knock out rounds.  Aggregate between the two games with away goals being the tie breaker.  If they're tied on that, then it goes to overall GD in the group stage.  So PSG is through with 4-3 aggregate.

Yep, the HTH is handled as if they were in the knock out rounds.  Aggregate between the two games with away goals being the tie breaker.  If they're tied on that, then it goes to overall GD in the group stage.  So PSG is through with 4-3 aggregate.
:censored:  just makse that last goal in the PSG game even worse.

CletiusMaximus said:
I would take him all day over Courtois who I feel makes some of the worst decisions I’ve ever seen for a “top” level keeper. 

CletiusMaximus said:
eff all that, he sucks worse than the nerds geeking up the Mando thread.

Ole #### the bed in CL - and consistently the side isn’t ready to play from the whistle.  
Its hard to argue with this.  They came out for the draw and found themselves too far behind before they started to play. I just can't believe how consistently flat they start every game.  

De Gea needs to be sat down.  That third goal was atrocious.  He looks like he didn't want to get hit with the ball.  He is too often glued to his line and still relies on his reflexes and they arent as sharp as they were.  Henderson has to get the call.

I also don't understand why there is no former defender on his coaching staff.  The outside backs are constantly and unneccesarily sucked in leaving the far post wide open.  Both sides every game.  They need a guy like Evra or Rio to help improve that area.  Plus it would probably help McGuire and everyone to get some real coaching.

Its hard to argue with this.  They came out for the draw and found themselves too far behind before they started to play. I just can't believe how consistently flat they start every game.  

De Gea needs to be sat down.  That third goal was atrocious.  He looks like he didn't want to get hit with the ball.  He is too often glued to his line and still relies on his reflexes and they arent as sharp as they were.  Henderson has to get the call.

I also don't understand why there is no former defender on his coaching staff.  The outside backs are constantly and unneccesarily sucked in leaving the far post wide open.  Both sides every game.  They need a guy like Evra or Rio to help improve that area.  Plus it would probably help McGuire and everyone to get some real coaching.
Breaks my heart to read about MU's troubles.  Ole needs to keep the job.  

Breaks my heart to read about MU's troubles.  Ole needs to keep the job.  
Crashing out of the CL after the excellent start is a problem for sure, esp with how bad it went.  But I am not ready to jump on the Ole out bandwagon.  United is in 5th place, 5 points behind the leaders with a game in hand.  He is still in Europa, FA Cup, and the League Cup. 

Any new manager that comes in will have the same issues: backed when not in CL, not backed if in CL.  I could only dream about having Sancho in the team with Martial and Cavani out yesterday instead of going 5 in the back (or playing 4-3-3 with Telles as an attacker).  Yes he could have used Mata or VdB instead so that is on Ole too.

Although as I've said before, make Ole the Director of Football.  He has shown he can be ruthless with players.  He also had agreements with Sancho and Haaland before Woodward pulled the plug.  Give him the power to buy and sell.  Hire Poch to manage the team.  I think that would have potential.

Crashing out of the CL after the excellent start is a problem for sure, esp with how bad it went.  But I am not ready to jump on the Ole out bandwagon.  United is in 5th place, 5 points behind the leaders with a game in hand.  He is still in Europa, FA Cup, and the League Cup. 

Any new manager that comes in will have the same issues: backed when not in CL, not backed if in CL.  I could only dream about having Sancho in the team with Martial and Cavani out yesterday instead of going 5 in the back (or playing 4-3-3 with Telles as an attacker).  Yes he could have used Mata or VdB instead so that is on Ole too.

Although as I've said before, make Ole the Director of Football.  He has shown he can be ruthless with players.  He also had agreements with Sancho and Haaland before Woodward pulled the plug.  Give him the power to buy and sell.  Hire Poch to manage the team.  I think that would have potential.
I was just channeling my inner Sinn...  he's not really missed, but there's not enough Spurs chat in here now...  

I'm sure this is old news on account of everyone keeping tabs on the REIGNING CHAMPIONS' loanees, but 17 year old Harvey Elliott is ripping the Championship up.  Nice solo goal just now.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread