What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Lamar Jackson, BAL (7 Viewers)

Lamar Jackson completed just 9-of-20 passes for 143 scoreless yards in the Ravens' 30-16, Week 7 win over the Seahawks, adding 116 yards and one touchdown on 14 rushing attempts.

The easy star of this one, Jackson again channeled his inner Michael Vick and proved slippery in the wet, rain-soaked conditions in Seattle. Jackson again played without top downfield option Marquise Brown (ankle) and used his legs to create the big plays on offense with multiple runs of 20-plus yards. His day would have been bigger if Mark Andrews didn't drop several wide-open passes that hit him in the hands and if Jackson didn't lose his footing on several occasions. He switched out his cleats multiple times. Even with all that, the Seahawks still couldn't contain him. Jackson has gone over 100 rushing yards with a score in back-to-back weeks and is making a case for MVP. A day filled with highlights, Jackson's best play was an eight-yard power touchdown run on 4th-and-2 with the game tied 13-13 late in the third quarter. The 5-2 Ravens host the Patriots in Week 9 following next week's bye.

Oct 20, 2019, 7:34 PM ET

Lamar said he had to change his cleats twice. Knew he had to go back to his original cleats when he got caught by a linebacker. 

This guy is just amazing....

He is not bad as a passer as the numbers suggest either....after the patriots schedule....I can see him doing even better with Hollywood Brown coming back in the picture. 

He delivers fantasy points... whatever it takes.

If you're staring at a crapper day from say a Matt Ryan, you know it's staying that way. Jackson though... tough day through the air,  but might run for 100 + TD.

In a 1qb dynasty league with 4pt passing tds is he worth a mid-late 2020 1st AND 2nd round pick?  

I originally offered a 1st.  He came back asking for 2 1st rd picks.  Now he’s asking for my 1st and 2nd.  

Just to be the Devil's Advocate, just three weeks ago against Pittsburgh, 161 passing yards, 70 rushing yards, 1 passing TD, 0 rushing TD, 3 INTs.

That was the last time he threw a TD pass. Got me 10 points. That's his real floor, not 20. 
I think I tend to throw out Pittsburgh-Baltimore games for some reason because they are always weird slugfests.  But you are right, there is a real floor there and I do worry against NE.

Just to be the Devil's Advocate, just three weeks ago against Pittsburgh, 161 passing yards, 70 rushing yards, 1 passing TD, 0 rushing TD, 3 INTs.

That was the last time he threw a TD pass. Got me 10 points. That's his real floor, not 20. 
And the Ravens went for it on 4th vs the Seahawks which got 1 TD, from the 8. Chancy stuff there.

In a 1qb dynasty league with 4pt passing tds is he worth a mid-late 2020 1st AND 2nd round pick?  

I originally offered a 1st.  He came back asking for 2 1st rd picks.  Now he’s asking for my 1st and 2nd.  

Depends on QB availability, what your current QB situation is like, and if you are competing or rebuilding. 

And the Ravens went for it on 4th vs the Seahawks which got 1 TD, from the 8. Chancy stuff there.
This is kind of becoming part of the equation with Lamar and his value.  Harbaugh goes for it on 4th down a lot - creates more opportunity for Lamar to put up points.  I dont think this should be counted against him - it should be an x-factor that actually elevates his value.

What do we think about starting him this week vs. New England?  Especially if you have the New England defense as well...

I could definitely see some turnovers and even TDs by NE, but Lamar could still get his in garbage time.  Though NE tends to play all 60 minutes, so maybe not.  Or maybe Roman just tries to run, run, run and mitigate mistakes (which has worked sometimes for them).  Not that that would necessarily be bad for Lamar owners here.

What do we think about starting him this week vs. New England?  Especially if you have the New England defense as well...

I could definitely see some turnovers and even TDs by NE, but Lamar could still get his in garbage time.  Though NE tends to play all 60 minutes, so maybe not.  Or maybe Roman just tries to run, run, run and mitigate mistakes (which has worked sometimes for them).  Not that that would necessarily be bad for Lamar owners here.
Right now benching for Stafford.

In the end, I wouldn't be surprised if both Jackson and Stafford end up at the same number, but I think Stafford can do so with less risk/higher floor/higher ceiling.

Bill B. usually doesn't get fooled by young QBs. He's going to take away something, make him uncomfortable, force some mistakes.

If Harbaugh took notes during the bye week, he would a) Stress don't make any damn mistakes, and b) Not throw the ball one single time.

im starting him over wentz

He's my only QB and while I don't like this matchup, he'll be in my lineup.

Might have to flip a coin on Jackson vs NE or Garoppolo vs ARI
I used Garoppolo last week to cover the bye.  I dropped him this week and am rolling w/ Lamar.  The Pats are good but they also haven't faced top QBs.  I believe between the running and passing Lamar should be able to have a decent day.

• Smile
Reactions: SCT
I'm starting Josh Allen vs WAS over him one league.....other league I think I gotta play him over Sam Darnold vs MIA, but I'm tempted to start Sam.

He is a top 5 QB so far this year.  He has not been fluky.  He is a 100% must start regardless of matchup.  Don't get cute.  Even if the Ravens get hammered he still can put up garbage time stats as defenses go into prevent allowing chunk runs building his rushing yardage.  Also, he is always in play for multiple rushing TD's. 

Yeah definitely don't start the qb1(ppg) whos an elite rusher against a team whos biggest weakness is stopping the run.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have Dak (@NYG) in over Lamar right now.  First time I have even considered this move, despite Dak playing at a pretty high level.

He is a top 5 QB so far this year.  He has not been fluky.  He is a 100% must start regardless of matchup.  Don't get cute.  Even if the Ravens get hammered he still can put up garbage time stats as defenses go into prevent allowing chunk runs building his rushing yardage.  Also, he is always in play for multiple rushing TD's. 
But Josh Allen vs the Redskins??

So?  My question is why do you have Allen and Jackson.  Trade one of them.  No need to have 2 QB's
Seriously?  QBs dont have byes?  QBs who run the ball 15 times per game and scramble around in the pocket regularly never get hurt?  If you own Lamar Jackson, it would be super ballsy to not own a second QB.  A sprained ankle turns Lamar Jackson into short Joe Flacco, and ends your season if you dont have a competent backup.

Yeah definitely don't start the qb1(ppg) whos an elite rusher against a team whos biggest weakness is stopping the run.
i get your point, but it's not like we are talking about a totally proven commodity yet.  I agree that the thing that is most likely to work in this game for the Ravens' O is Jackson's rushing, as it could mean just taking away everything else.

I've got Stafford in now, but I'm facing a juggernaut opponent this week. And he has the SF D on Thursday night.

Think the way I may play this is if SF D goes for 25+ I go for upside in Jackson. If SF is mediocre, play it safe with Stafford.

Seriously?  QBs dont have byes?  QBs who run the ball 15 times per game and scramble around in the pocket regularly never get hurt?  If you own Lamar Jackson, it would be super ballsy to not own a second QB.  A sprained ankle turns Lamar Jackson into short Joe Flacco, and ends your season if you dont have a competent backup.
Most 1 QB leagues have suitable options on the waiver wire.  I would much rather have lottery ticket WR/RB for that roster spot then take up a backup QB.  Yes, to get through your bye week you may roster a 2nd QB and drop a top 5 QB but for the rest of the time I have no reservation about only having Jackson on my roster. 

Now if you are in a league that hords QB's and the waiver wire is barren then I can see why you would keep a backup.  But other than that it's fine to just have Jackson. 

i get your point, but it's not like we are talking about a totally proven commodity yet.  I agree that the thing that is most likely to work in this game for the Ravens' O is Jackson's rushing, as it could mean just taking away everything else.
He has been doing it for a full year of games (counting last year).  I am a believer and think he has proven fantasy commodity.  I am not necessarily a believer that he is a proven NFL QB....but that doesn't matter for fantasy and he has proven (to me) to be legitimate there. 

Most 1 QB leagues have suitable options on the waiver wire.  I would much rather have lottery ticket WR/RB for that roster spot then take up a backup QB.  Yes, to get through your bye week you may roster a 2nd QB and drop a top 5 QB but for the rest of the time I have no reservation about only having Jackson on my roster. 

Now if you are in a league that hords QB's and the waiver wire is barren then I can see why you would keep a backup.  But other than that it's fine to just have Jackson. 
If its a 10-team or a shallow bench league, then I hear you - waiver wire will be ripe.  I play in dynasty leagues, 12 teams with 24-25 man rosters.  Theres nobody on the wire.  All lin context I guess.  

I've got Stafford in now, but I'm facing a juggernaut opponent this week. And he has the SF D on Thursday night.

Think the way I may play this is if SF D goes for 25+ I go for upside in Jackson. If SF is mediocre, play it safe with Stafford.
Stafford is the upside play this week. LJax is the safe floor low ceiling play vs NE.

Except the Patriots and 49ers. Everyone's ceiling is low against them.
I don't think that we can say that definitively about the Pats.  I still believe in them as a very good defense, but obviously they have had a hugely advantageous schedule.

That is one thing that I find kind of fascinating about this matchup, fantasy-wise.  Two rocketships this year fantasy-wise whose true real-world quality is not entirely clear to me.

Pats will sell out to stop the run.  They will also have a spy on Lamar.  If he has a good week it will have to be through the air.

I own Lamar and Brady.  Leaving Lamar on the bench this week.

Pats will roll in this game

Pats will sell out to stop the run.  They will also have a spy on Lamar.  If he has a good week it will have to be through the air.

I own Lamar and Brady.  Leaving Lamar on the bench this week.

Pats will roll in this game
I have them fairly even this week, but benching a guy for a HOF qb isn't the worst thing you can say about a player.

Users who are viewing this thread