What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Jack Doyle needs a thread (1 Viewer)

Well that was quick:

Not only that but he got a full practice in with no setbacks. ---> https://twitter.com/Colts/status/1055900320583372802

Unless I hear that he's gonna be eased in I'm playing him.
The eased in part was 100% speculation on my part, though it does make sense given Ebron's play of late. Still, I can see why you'd roll with Doyle over Ricky. Good luck! I am hoping to see Doyle bounce back fast but rolling with the Uzo this week. :D

Jack Doyle registered six catches for 70 yards and a touchdown on seven targets Sunday in the Colts’ Week 8 win over Oakland.

This was Doyle's first appearance since Week 2 after missing five games with a hip injury. Doyle did almost all of his damage on one possession, catching four balls for 52 yards and a touchdown on a six-play drive during the fourth quarter. His 10-yard touchdown grab broke a 28-28 tie, putting Indy ahead for good with 5:28 remaining. There was some concern that Doyle would take a backseat to Eric Ebron, who dominated during his absence, but it looks like both players are going to have a role in the Colts' offense. The Colts are off next week but return against the Jaguars in Week 10.
It should be noted Luck threw a TD pass to 3 different TEs; Ebron, Alie-Cox, and Doyle.

Someone dropped him a couple weeks ago and I picked him up. Perhaps I should have started him instead of Njoku. Ugh. 
Misery loves company.  I made that same decision but it was the right decision.  The outcome didn't work out of course but Njoku was on a roll. 

It should be noted Luck threw a TD pass to 3 different TEs; Ebron, Alie-Cox, and Doyle.
Doyle led in targets by a good margin though, and I believe he had 100% of the TE targets in the 2nd half.

3-1-7

ETA - nope, the Ebron TD (career high 7th) was on the opening drive of the 2nd half. Doyle received all the TE targets (4) the remainder of the game.

Last edited by a moderator:
The eased in part was 100% speculation on my part, though it does make sense given Ebron's play of late. Still, I can see why you'd roll with Doyle over Ricky. Good luck! I am hoping to see Doyle bounce back fast but rolling with the Uzo this week. :D
Pardon the sobbing sounds.... that's just me in the corner expecting to lose by a point or two less than this decision cost me. 

Crow doesn't taste good.  Ever. 
This was never an informed opinion. Colts like using two TE sets, so no TE is going to have the position locked down. It's more likely that they both vulture from one another a little bit and are, as a result, low TE1's. 

Good news -- Colts TEs accounted for all 4 TDs today.

Bad news -- none of them went to Doyle.

Danged Ebron even ran for one.  :kicksrock:

Good news -- Colts TEs accounted for all 4 TDs today.

Bad news -- none of them went to Doyle.

Danged Ebron even ran for one.  :kicksrock:
Doyle had a shot but got stopped at the 1. Luck is going to aggressively target TEs in the Red Zone, and it looks like he's going to try and target Ebron. Ebron got a TD on a jet sweep (WTF?) and the mother of blown coverages also. It lowers his ceiling considerably but his floor should be safe.

Jack Doyle caught all three of his targets for 36 yards in the Colts' Week 10 win over the Jaguars.

The Jaguars could not keep track of Colts tight ends early in this game, and Doyle got loose for a 20-yard catch of his own on the first play of the second series. Unfortunately, he could not get in on the tight end scoring spree in the first half. He came close when he was tackled at the one-yard line in the second quarter, but Mo Alie-Cox got the score on the next play. Doyle should have better days moving forward, but Eric Ebron will be a touchdown threat all season.

Going to post this here and the Eric Ebron thread:

Observations: Jack Doyle ran 21 routes on 49-of-56 offensive snaps (88%) Sunday, but it amounted to just three targets and 36 yards. Eric Ebron ran 12 routes on 21 snaps (38%), but it somehow led to three targets and two touchdowns. In the four games Doyle’s played, Ebron’s run 66 fewer routes (122 to 56) and seen 10 fewer targets (25 to 15) as the team’s backup tight end, but has somehow managed to score four more touchdowns than Doyle (5 to 1) in those outings. It’s obviously unsustainable production (though I said that last week and here we are).

Had both Ebron and Doyle.

Doyle on the field more, running more routes.

Trade Ebron this week for Denver D. (great playoff schedule and in our League our D's get more Points than in most leagues, pretty valuable)

Ebron  had a 0. So I think my choice keeping Doyle was a good one.

However......

Doyle stars out on fire with 4 catches in the beginning of the game and then.... and then.... NOTHING!

I did not see the game. Anyone with any insight??

I think I need a new TE.

Have Njoku but he has fizzled as well.

I have been rolling with Ebron all year but signs don't bode well for ROS. This team (my Ebron team) will make the playoffs, so I have just added

Rudolph and Everett for the home stretch. I imagine I will cut one of these TEs in the next 2 weeks, hopefully someone emerges as reliable

Trade Ebron this week for Denver D. (great playoff schedule and in our League our D's get more Points than in most leagues, pretty valuable)

However......

Doyle stars out on fire with 4 catches in the beginning of the game and then.... and then.... NOTHING!

I think I need a new TE.

Not sure what you expect out of your TE but Doyle's floor is fine. Always on the field on a team that usually target TEs a lot.

Jack Doyle caught 4-of-4 targets for 43 yards in the Colts' Week 11 win over the Titans.

It was a disappointing day seeing as the Colts scored 38 points and Eric Ebron was not targeted. Doyle did have to watch as Mo Alie-Cox drew a red zone look. Doyle has the occasional mindmeld with Andrew Luck, but Luck is spreading the ball around as much as any quarterback in football. Doyle will nevertheless remain a TE1 for Week 12 against a Dolphins defense that's been routinely embarrassed by opposing seam stretchers

However......

I think I need a new TE.

From memory, but I had several games on (I have Doyle in one league): I think Doyle had 1 catch on the third drive and then 3 catches on the next drive. I only remember 1 target after that and I think there was a penalty on the play.  The Colts had a couple of short td drives after that and the game was out of hand.

The Titans were one of the toughest match-ups for TEs although they hadn't really faced many teams with a formidable TE.  Ebron was a non-factor with no targets. Cox had 1 target that I remember where Luck missed him. 

My TE nightmare continues every week.

As I traded Ebron 2 weeks ago.

Have Doyle and Njoku. 

Played Doyle this week

Ebron just scored.

Njoku scored and had a decent day with 5 cathedral and 55 yards.

Lot of game left today for Doyle right??

Jack Doyle caught 4-of-4 targets for 16 yards and a touchdown in the Colts' Week 12 win over the Dolphins.

The score was Doyle's second in four games since returning from his hip injury, though he got out-targeted 7-4 by Eric Ebron, who had yet to draw more looks in a game since Doyle's return. Ultimately, Doyle should continue to see heavier usage even if Ebron is the preferred target in the red zone. Doyle will maintain TE1 appeal for Week 13 against the Jags' leaky tight end defense.

The Athletic's Stephen Holder reports Jack Doyle is expected to be placed on injured reserve with an "unspecified" injury suffered in Sunday's Week 12 win over the Dolphins.

Nov 26 - 3:52 PM

Source: The Athletic on Twitter

Colts placed TE Jack Doyle (kidney) on injured reserve, ending his season.

He had to be hospitalized after Week 12's win over Miami and underwent a "prodecure." Coach Frank Reich did say Monday that Doyle's prognosis is "good" to resume playing football in 2019. This locks Eric Ebron back in as Indianapolis' primary tight end. The injury will hurt the Colts more in real life than fantasy box scores; Doyle is a far superior blocker to Ebron and plays over 80% of the team's offensive snaps. With Ebron taking over the No. 1 tight end role, Mo Alie-Cox will move to No. 2. No. 3 tight end Erik Swoope hasn't played since Week 7 due to a knee injury.
... F*****CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK!!!

My WW options:

Andrews, V Davis, Gates, James, Herndon, RSJ, Uzomah, Vannett

Or keep rolling out Greg Olsen  :wall:

Amazingly, Brate was available in the one league where I have (had) Doyle...picked him up immediately.

Noone cares, but I traded away Julian Edelman in Week 6 to get OJ Howard, then picked up Doyle a week before he came back.

I had 3 TEs, tried to trade Jordan Reed, no takers, so I dropped him.

Then Howard.

Now Doyle.

FML. 

Ebron with a shot at being the TE1 when all is said and done this year. 
Actually this in a sense hurts Ebron a little... a lot of that the Colts have been able to do is due to Doyle blocking. They are without a blocking TE now and unless they sign one, Ebron is going to have to block a lot more. Now they could just go FB or slide more protection, but that's going to open up Andrew Luck to more pressure

Actually this in a sense hurts Ebron a little... a lot of that the Colts have been able to do is due to Doyle blocking. They are without a blocking TE now and unless they sign one, Ebron is going to have to block a lot more. Now they could just go FB or slide more protection, but that's going to open up Andrew Luck to more pressure
Huh?  Ebron isn’t a blocker, and besides, we have already seen what happens to Ebron without Doyle; he was TE3, and top-5 in targets, receptions, and yards during that span, and #1 in TDS.  Why would Indy do something different this time?

Huh?  Ebron isn’t a blocker, and besides, we have already seen what happens to Ebron without Doyle; he was TE3, and top-5 in targets, receptions, and yards during that span, and #1 in TDS.  Why would Indy do something different this time?
They had Erik Swoopes and a decimated WR core? Also, he's the only healthy TE left on the roster... so yeah, he's going to have to block a bit.

I'm not saying Ebron will tank; getting more snaps is never bad. But don't expect him to be targeted as heavily as he was before, that's not possible.

Users who are viewing this thread