What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Dynasty Value Discussion Thread (13 Viewers)

It has been talked about a bit already.

The outlook hinges somewhat on what they do with Watkins. If they keep him and he gets targeted more, then this means less opportunity for Woods and Kupp. If they do not keep Watkins, then a normal progression for both players productivity seems appropriate to expect.

I still see Gerald Everett becoming more involved with the passing game as he develops. So what they do with Watkins is going to have an effect on the opportunity of the rest of their receivers.

If Watkins stays then opportunity for Woods and Kupp stays the same or possibly goes down slightly. If Watkins does then I think Woods and Kupp get a slight uptick in opportunity.
Maybe I am reading this wrong but you don’t think this offense as a whole grows?  With Goff maturing and McVay growing as a Coach don’t you think the pie has a chance to get bigger?  I will also admit I am not a Watkins guy so I don’t see him as the threat many others do but I obviously see how that scenario can occur...

Maybe I am reading this wrong but you don’t think this offense as a whole grows?  With Goff maturing and McVay growing as a Coach don’t you think the pie has a chance to get bigger?  I will also admit I am not a Watkins guy so I don’t see him as the threat many others do but I obviously see how that scenario can occur...
Yes I think the overall offense does improve, in particular the passing game.

Goff is going into his 3rd seasons as a QB (usually a year of statistical improvement for a QB) also 2nd year in the offense usually leads to increased efficiency, which leads to more volume. I also see the WR being in the same offense, same QB as another reason to expect improvement.

The Rams only threw the ball 518 times in 2017. The average NFL team throws the ball 563 times per season over the last 3 years. The average of 546 from 2017 is a new low since 2011. I see this bell shape turning north and teams passing he ball more in 2018 including the Rams, for several of the reasons previously mentioned.

In addition to this Todd Gurley was the 2nd most targeted player on the team. While I expect Gurley to continue to be involved a lot as a receiver, I can see Gurley's targets going down slightly and him becoming the 3rd or maybe 4th more targeted player on the Rams in 2018. Meaning the percentage of the growing pie being distributed to the receivers a bit more due to gained communication, timing, trust, familiarity ect.

eta- Goff has to grow into making his own pre snap reads and the offense picks up the pace a bit. I don't think they continue the same tactic of slow rolling in the headset the way they did this season as much. It worked against them doing that too often at times.

Last edited by a moderator:
Biabreakable said:
Which Cook(s) are you talking about?

I just mentioned Everett a bit in my previous post. I think what the Rams do with Watkins has some impact on Everett's opportunity as a receiver. They did use Everett somewhat as a rookie and he made some splash plays. He is capable of more. But right now too many mouths to feed for Everett to do much more. Tyler Higbee is an obstacle to his playing time as well.
Jared Cook

Magic_Man said:
What are the projections for Everett's & Cook's values next season?
I like Everett, I think he is still coming along though. Higbee is a potential hurdle. My main fear for any LAR pass catcher is that it will be Gurley and then evenly distributed among the other pass catchers until someone starts to stand out.

Cook to me is a solid buy this off season. He can likely be acquired fairly cheaply and in a deeper league, or a TE premium league he is a value. Im unsure of his contract status so, this is assuming he remains in Oakland

Vance McDonald- hold after a seeing solid targets in the playoffs? Doubt he’s tradable in nonpremium leagues. Wondering if the playoff usage is a sign of things to come. 

he seems pretty worthless to me. he's been around long enough to know he is what he is - a guy that will always show some flashes but ultimately be a disappointment.
I hate owning Jared Cook...there is no rhyme or reason as to when he will have a good week..last year he had 7 weeks with 25 yards or less...he had a combined reception total of 14 for those 7 weeks...it's one thing if he is a youngster and trending upwards but he is 30 and as you say we know what he is...

Vance McDonald- hold after a seeing solid targets in the playoffs? Doubt he’s tradable in nonpremium leagues. Wondering if the playoff usage is a sign of things to come. 
I think he is a buy, was learning the system this year, they and Ben seem to like him and I think playoff game is sign of things to come. I think he will be a slightly better Heath Miller which is not bad in PPR, esp TE premium

I think he is a buy, was learning the system this year, they and Ben seem to like him and I think playoff game is sign of things to come. I think he will be a slightly better Heath Miller which is not bad in PPR, esp TE premium
A slightly better Heath Miller?  Miller had 6 seasons with 50+ catches...McDonald is 27 and has a career total of 78 in 5 years...that would be a huge leap...

A slightly better Heath Miller?  Miller had 6 seasons with 50+ catches...McDonald is 27 and has a career total of 78 in 5 years...that would be a huge leap...
yes but he was in SF that doesn't count for me, they are unable to use the TE properly. Vernon Davis and Delanie Walker put up pedestrian numbers in SF as well

yes but he was in SF that doesn't count for me, they are unable to use the TE properly. Vernon Davis and Delanie Walker put up pedestrian numbers in SF as well
Davis had 5 seasons with over 50 receptions, 4 with over 700 yards and 5 with 5 or more TDs...he had production there...agreed about Walker but he was playing behind Davis who they used a high pick on so he was kind of buried there...

Davis had 5 seasons with over 50 receptions, 4 with over 700 yards and 5 with 5 or more TDs...he had production there...agreed about Walker but he was playing behind Davis who they used a high pick on so he was kind of buried there...
He played with Kaepernick and Gabbert at QB. I don’t think those years (2013-2016) were really representative of his potential talent.  

He played with Kaepernick and Gabbert at QB. I don’t think those years (2013-2016) were really representative of his potential talent.  
Agreed...he is an odd one...he played for San Fran for 7 years and never had more than 30 receptions...he goes to Tennessee at age 29 and goes on to have 5 quality years...gotta give the Titans credit IDing him...  

Jared Cook
Ah. I agree with Dr. O on this one. Cook is fools gold. You will always be chasing points and mostly be disappointed.

That said. Carr was trusting Cook on some critical downs. Went to him on 4th down IIRC so he has earned some trust there. Or maybe Carrs other options were just not as good, or match up, or all of the above. Anyhow he likely will have a good game or two along the way then disappear as usual.

Thoughts on Randall Cobb?  He seams to have lost a step and hasn't put up big numbers for a couple years now.  But he's only 27 and is in a good situation.  I think most are assuming he's gone as a FA, but I'm not so sure.  While his cap hit is huge (12M), his guaranteed money is not (3M).  Because he's under performed his contract so thoroughly, he has incentive to restructure.  Rodgers likes him and he seems happy in GB.  I think GB keeps one of Jordy and Cobb, so there's potential that Cobb is the #2 next year, which would obviously make him fantasy relevant again.  That said, if they do move on from him, things could get worse than they are now. 

Buy, sell, or hold for a mid-2nd?

Ah. I agree with Dr. O on this one. Cook is fools gold. You will always be chasing points and mostly be disappointed.

That said. Carr was trusting Cook on some critical downs. Went to him on 4th down IIRC so he has earned some trust there. Or maybe Carrs other options were just not as good, or match up, or all of the above. Anyhow he likely will have a good game or two along the way then disappear as usual.
I agree but did target him for Gronk's bye as they were playing the Dolphins who seemed to be very weak against TE's and it paid off.

Thoughts on Randall Cobb?  He seams to have lost a step and hasn't put up big numbers for a couple years now.  But he's only 27 and is in a good situation.  I think most are assuming he's gone as a FA, but I'm not so sure.  While his cap hit is huge (12M), his guaranteed money is not (3M).  Because he's under performed his contract so thoroughly, he has incentive to restructure.  Rodgers likes him and he seems happy in GB.  I think GB keeps one of Jordy and Cobb, so there's potential that Cobb is the #2 next year, which would obviously make him fantasy relevant again.  That said, if they do move on from him, things could get worse than they are now. 

I paid a late 2nd last year and would pay that now. Too much uncertainty to want to pay more. I would sell for a mid 2nd.

I do have a sneaky suspicion that to keep Rodgers happy, they bring both Jordy and Cobb back at a reduced contract (off the wall idea is moving Montgomery back to WR and letting Cobb go). Then draft a WR in the 2nd or 3rd to groom a year or two.

I agree but did target him for Gronk's bye as they were playing the Dolphins who seemed to be very weak against TE's and it paid off.
If you can figure out when is the right time to play him, more power to you.

With an outlook of maybe only using him 2-4 games of the season, I am not sure that is really worth giving up much for.

TE premium scoring or 2 TE leagues could change this somewhat. I was speaking of your general start 1 TE maybe PPR.

I would sell.

Ty Montgomery, possibly a receiving RB, incoming WR from the draft all seem like risks to his role and opportunity in Green Bay.

If they only keep one of Nelson or Cobb and it is Cobb, I definitely can see an uptick in Cobbs opportunity. It may be short lived though as other players become more involved.

There is always the risk of Nelson being kept, not Cobb. Then depending on where Cobb goes, it is likely a downgrade from Rodgers.

Nelson did seem done to me, but maybe just a bad year for him. Not sure.

This was posted in the wrong thread:

Thoughts on this offer curious if anyone would have accepted

get: 1.1 and 1.12 rookie picks

give: Freeman and D. Adams

i am all in on the Barkley fever but Adams is too good a piece at that price to include right? 
Personally, I'd have snap accepted that trade. IMO, Barkley will be an immediate upgrade from Freeman and he's 5 years younger. Adams is definitely worth more than the 1.12 but that delta isn't as big as the one between Barkley and Freeman. During the draft, you may be able to move the 1.12 for a veteran that could help offset the loss of Adams. I've seen players like Alshon (3 years older than Adams) go for around that much and that's before rookie fever sets in. The 1.12 will hold more value leading up to and during your rookie draft.

That's really tough. I'm not a Cobb fan, but if you think he'll be back in GB then he's easily worth more than a mid-2nd in ppr. He only played 4 games with Rodgers last year but IIRC he was on pace for like 90/900 in those games. Unless you are confident you can flip that mid-2nd for some proven talent, it's going to be a dart throw so it doesn't hold much value. So I guess it comes down to team need (if Cobb is gathering dust on your bench, might as well get something for him) and your confidence he's back with GB.

I'd like to move up from 1.06 in a rookie draft (PPR).  What type of bump up could I expect if I package the 1.06 with a selection of the following WRs:

K.Benjamin

C.Coleman

A.Cooper

M.Evans

D.Funchess

C.Hogan

A.Robinson

A.Thielen

I'd like to move up from 1.06 in a rookie draft (PPR).  What type of bump up could I expect if I package the 1.06 with a selection of the following WRs:

K.Benjamin

C.Coleman

A.Cooper

M.Evans

D.Funchess

C.Hogan

A.Robinson

A.Thielen

1.  Don't trade away Evans  

3.  I'd say Cooper/Thielen/Robinson could get you up to 1.02 depending on who your trade partner is (worth a shot at 1.01 but I doubt it)

3.  Any of the others expect a minor bump if any.  I wouldn't want to buy any of the others except maybe Corey Coleman for a minimal cost.  

K.Benjamin

C.Coleman

A.Cooper

M.Evans

D.Funchess

C.Hogan

A.Robinson

A.Thielen
You may as well make the offer to the holder of pick one.

I would not trade Evans for pick 1 straight up. 

You have some very talented WR and I think all of the guys you list will interest different owners, more than the others.

If you don't have a preference, you could let the owner of pick 1.01 choose which WR they want along with pick 1.06 as I think Amari Cooper, Allen Robinson both have top 12 WR upside although they are coming off of disappointing seasons. Adam Thielen did have a top 12 season. He is at least a strong WR two even to non believers. Funchess had some good plays. Not sure how I feel about Norv Turner as the OC there but I think some are higher on Funchess than I am. He did make some good plays that forced me to stop criticizing him. 

Anyhow I have found when I give an owner choices, sometimes this leads to a good trade for both parties. So ask yourself which WR are you ok with parting with for a higher draft pick.

For example

1.01 Any WR but Evans and pick 1.06

1.02 Any WR but Cooper and Evans and pick 1.06

1.03 Any WR but Evans, Cooper. Thielen, Robinson and pick 1.06

Once you get to pick 1.04 I don't think you need to give a WR on top of 1.06 or perhaps  lesser one. Hogan and Benjamin have the least value to me right now and I guess I wouldn't mind throwing one of them in with pick 1.06 to move to four if I feel very strongly about the top 4 of the draft. Pick 1.05 is I think very similar to pick 1.06 so really wouldn't give much for such a move. 3rd round pick or something maybe.

Time to update the ongoing discussion of David Johnson? I was hoping that they would hire a HC from the offensive side of the ball like Shurmur, who at one time was thought to be a leading candidate for the job. I think a lot of Steve Wilks having watched him do a good job here with the Panthers, but I'm not sure what he means for developing/rebuilding that offense. 

Perhaps more directly related to Johnson, I'm not sure what to make of hiring McCoy as OC. According to azcentral one of the things that Wilks liked about McCoy was that they "both realized they shared a lack of vision for what the offense might look like in 2018" and saw the offense as a "piece of clay" they would have to adapt as they went.  A charitable reading of that would a willingness to be flexible (they do indicate a desire to adjust to their players' strengths and system rigidity would not be a plus for this franchise right now), but that reads a little more like "we don't have the personnel we need right now, so we'll see...." The same article summarizes the Cardinals' challenges: no QB under contract, Fitz possibly retiring, and an offensive line rebuild. McCoy has adjusted to/coached QBs with different skill sets in the past (Pete. Delhomme, Orton, Tebow) and has inherited top guys in Rivers and Manning. But he's been unsuccessful in recent years and concerns from last season with the Broncos that his playbook was too unwieldy, especially given the Broncos' QB group, have been a reminder than McCoy expects a lot from his QBs. So, unless the Cardinals sign a veteran FA I don't see many scenarios where this offense runs smoothly next season. 

I still think Johnson has a high floor in ppr because he is such a gifted route runner and receiver.  RevengeOfTheBirds has a breakdown of RB production under McCoy between 2009-2016. There aren't too many guys in this group who parallel Johnson's skill set in total (for example: Woodhead had very good target/reception numbers in 2013 and 2015, and McCoy got some decent production from rushers like Mathews and Gordon). The author calculates the average RB production from 5 seasons where a starting RB wasn't injured as follows: 332 carries 1,205 yards 3.6 ypc 7 touchdowns; 91 targets 77 catches 613 yards 7.9 yards per catch 3 touchdowns. I don't think that kind of production is realistic for 2018 given the team's likely composition on offense, so that's just for reference. 

Is there a case for trading for Melvin Gordon?  If you look at last year's PPR top 10:

Gurley

Bell

Kamara

Hunt

Gordon

Ingram

McCoy

McCaffrey

Hyde

Fournette

Gordon is nicely positioned at RB5.  He's still relatively young at 25.  It's highly likely he's the lead back for the Chargers in 2018 (good chance LAC picks up his 5th year for 2019?).  So a case can be made for a 2 year window of RB1 worst case.  Those 2-3 years could be pretty good if the Chargers get better at run-blocking.

The downside is sub-4.0 YAC and TD dependent.  He's a candidate for a RBBC (Ekeler showed some good things) which would make him game script dependent.  Microfractured knee raises durability issues and the possibility of a rapid decline.

Looking at starting RBs under the age of 26, he stands out as someone you can go out and get without paying through the nose... but it could just as easily bite you in the rear.

Is there a case for trading for Melvin Gordon?  If you look at last year's PPR top 10:

Gurley

Bell

Kamara

Hunt

Gordon

Ingram

McCoy

McCaffrey

Hyde

Fournette

Gordon is nicely positioned at RB5.  He's still relatively young at 25.  It's highly likely he's the lead back for the Chargers in 2018 (good chance LAC picks up his 5th year for 2019?).  So a case can be made for a 2 year window of RB1 worst case.  Those 2-3 years could be pretty good if the Chargers get better at run-blocking.

The downside is sub-4.0 YAC and TD dependent.  He's a candidate for a RBBC (Ekeler showed some good things) which would make him game script dependent.  Microfractured knee raises durability issues and the possibility of a rapid decline.

Looking at starting RBs under the age of 26, he stands out as someone you can go out and get without paying through the nose... but it could just as easily bite you in the rear.
I'm non-ppr in the league where I own Gordon so YMMV but I think Gordon is worth more to me as an actual starting RB (he's my RB2     which is nice) and I don't think I would even get top 10 RB value for him. If you can though more power to you!

tkrull said:

Gurley

Bell

Kamara

Hunt

Gordon

Ingram

McCoy

McCaffrey

Hyde

Fournette

That’s the thing - you have a prime aged RB who’s put up RB1 numbers the last two years (when he’s played), but nobody wants to pay for that. I’ve shopped him around in my 0.5ppr and haven’t gotten any bites. It appears people want to give RB2 prices for him. He’s my RB2, so I’d rather just hold on than sell him cheap. I have a feeling that’s the story in most leagues unless you can find someone who thinks he’s about to fall into oblivion (knee, sub-4ypc, etc) and wants out at any price. 

I've been wanting to move Gronk and received an offer of M. Evans, A. Collins & K. Dixon for D. Adams & Gronk. That's essentially swapping Adams for Evans & the 2 RBs for Gronk. I declined as I don't see that as enough in return for Gronk when Adams & Evans are ranked so closely.

I've been wanting to move Gronk and received an offer of M. Evans, A. Collins & K. Dixon for D. Adams & Gronk. That's essentially swapping Adams for Evans & the 2 RBs for Gronk. I declined as I don't see that as enough in return for Gronk when Adams & Evans are ranked so closely.
Personally don't think Evans and Adams are that close.. That said I'd prolly still reject as I don't have any interest in Collins or Dixon.

That isn't near enough for Gronk.

That isn't near enough for Gronk.
Now he tries Collins & Dixon for my Goff. Still no. I'm wondering if offering my 1.14 is too much to offer for Collins.(We have a developmental draft before rookie draft so the top rookie prospects are already spoken for aka the 1.14 pick is diluted & I also own the 1.13.)

Evans>>Adams

Right, but not by enough to give Gronk away
There's enough of a delta between Evans and Adams that I would probably make that trade after the draft if Collins/Dixon survive the draft (assuming Baltimore signs Collins in free agency). If Baltimore takes a rookie in the first 3 rounds, Collins and Dixon lose almost all their value. On offense, Baltimore really needs to focus on OL and WR, so there's a chance they don't spend heavily or draft RB, but to make that trade, I'd need to be sure. 

Personally don't think Evans and Adams are that close.. That said I'd prolly still reject as I don't have any interest in Collins or Dixon.
Right.  Evans > Gronk ~= Adams > Collins/Dixon. 

Not quite enough but it wouldn't take much of an objective upgrade from the Ravens to get it done.

There's enough of a delta between Evans and Adams that I would probably make that trade after the draft if Collins/Dixon survive the draft (assuming Baltimore signs Collins in free agency). If Baltimore takes a rookie in the first 3 rounds, Collins and Dixon lose almost all their value. On offense, Baltimore really needs to focus on OL and WR, so there's a chance they don't spend heavily or draft RB, but to make that trade, I'd need to be sure. 
Collins is an exclusive rights free agent which basically means he either plays for Baltimore or no one at all, and I assume they will offer him a contract at that level. I agree with your take, I think the end of the line may be near for Gronk so I see it as a fair offer. While if I had to bet, Gronk probably does play this season, I do think the retirement talk is more than just talk. With his physical style and the way TEs generally age his time will come sooner than expected.

I'm also higher on Collins then most - loved him as a prospect, was disappointed that he fell so far in the draft, but now feel a little bit vindicated by how he looked last season. By no means is he bullet proof but I agree it's unlikely that the Ravens use any real valuable resources at the position. Between one of Collins and Dixon (my money is on Collins), you're looking at the lead back in a committee at worst. So given the gap between Evans and Adams I don't see this as a bad exit strategy on Gronk.

ETA: I may not take the offer at this time - but I think it's far from insulting.

Collins is an exclusive rights free agent which basically means he either plays for Baltimore of no one at all, and I assume they will offer him a contract at that level. I agree with you I think the end of the line may be near for Gronk so I see it as a fair offer. While if I had to bet, he does play this season, I do think the retirement talk is more than just talk. With his physical style and the way TEs generally age his time will come.

I'm also higher on Collins then most - loved him as a prospect, was disappointed that he fell so far in the draft, but now feel a little bit vindicated by how he looked last season. By no means is he bullet proof but I agree it's unlikely that the Ravens use any real valuable resources at the position. Between one of Collins and Dixon (my money is on Collins), you're looking at the lead back in a committee at worst. So given the gap between Evans and Adams I don't see this as a bad exit strategy on Gronk.
Good point about the ERFA. I thought I remembered it being a given that he'd be back, but I couldn't remember the details which is why I just made the assumption.

Personally, I'd prefer Dixon due to his receiving/pass blocking skills, but would definitely like the security of having them both. Collins did have his moments last year. Would really like to see Baltimore spend some resources on the OL, though, before I invest much in that backfield. 

Collins is an exclusive rights free agent which basically means he either plays for Baltimore or no one at all, and I assume they will offer him a contract at that level. I agree with your take, I think the end of the line may be near for Gronk so I see it as a fair offer. While if I had to bet, Gronk probably does play this season, I do think the retirement talk is more than just talk. With his physical style and the way TEs generally age his time will come sooner than expected.

ETA: I may not take the offer at this time - but I think it's far from insulting.
To feel comfortable doing it today, I'd want him to toss in Hunter Henry. I only have J. Cook & Everett left at TE. This is PPR.

Don't take it so literally, geez. Should I say "add" instead then? ;)
That has the same effect - my point is that no one is going to add Hunter to that deal. You couldn't expect the Baltimore RBs in that case, but maybe you would or should be fine with that.

That has the same effect - my point is that no one is going to add Hunter to that deal. You couldn't expect the Baltimore RBs in that case, but maybe you would or should be fine with that.
Nothing ventured, nothing gained. I tossed in McGuire to start so we'll see what he says.

Nothing ventured, nothing gained. I tossed in McGuire to start so we'll see what he says.
You can try but in my experience when you get greedy you either piss the other guy off or you give him time to re-evaluate, ask others, may even read this board and he decides he doesn’t want to do the deal at all. 

The Dynasty trade thread shows us that there are plenty of bad trades made so I guess it's possible. I'm a Jets fan - while I think he could be serviceable if given a starting RB's workload personally he would not move the needle for me. Powell will still be there and he's a much better all around RB and I think it's highly possible the Jets use one of their second round picks on a RB.

With that said, you never know.

Magic_Man said:
Right, but not by enough to give Gronk away
I think in dynasty Evans is worth WAY more than Adams, and Gronk's value is about to fall off of a cliff.  The guy is talking potential retirement right now.  Maybe he's got 2 seasons of production left max.  Maybe zero.

I think in dynasty Evans is worth WAY more than Adams, and Gronk's value is about to fall off of a cliff.  The guy is talking potential retirement right now.  Maybe he's got 2 seasons of production left max.  Maybe zero.
I think we sometimes get caught up in rankings & perceived value, though. Adams clearly out produced Evans last season & now with Cobb or Jordy likely gone he may even get better. I'm not saying I'd rather have one or the other, just saying that it's a real possibility Adams ends up the better fantasy player once again, Especially if Winston doesn't turn it around.

Users who are viewing this thread