What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Tyreek Hill, MIA (5 Viewers)

Faust said:
Coach Andy Reid confirmed that Tyreek Hill (clavicle) won't suit up Sunday night against the Colts.

Hill is getting close to a return, but it won't be this week. Demarcus Robinson and Mecole Hardman will continue to work as the offense's outside WRs with Sammy Watkins taking most of the snaps in the slot. They have a low-key difficult matchup against a Colts defense that allowed the fewest PPR per game to the WR position in 2018 and ranks 12th in 2019. Of course, matchups don't matter all that much when your QB is capable of making nearly any throw on the field.

SOURCE: BJ Kissel on Twitter.

Oct 4, 2019, 2:11 PM ET
Fixed that for BJ Kissel. 

Me, fantasy genius, “RBs get hurt too much, way too unpredictable. Imma go WR-WR from the 8 spot!”

looks at lineup, sees D.Adams, T.Hill hurt on my bench.

:kicksrock:

i already started Lockett, and put Dissly at Flex this week, so if Hull goes I’ll bench Marquis Brown for him. Amari Cooper is healthy, so he’s the only lock for my receiving lineup. 

But if Hill is active, he’s in my lineup. 

According to NFL Network's Ian Rapoport, Tyreek Hill (clavicle) has a "realistic" chance of playing Week 6 against the Texans.

Hill was ruled out for Sunday night's showdown with Indy after getting in a limited week of practice, but all signs point to a return next week against the Texans. Out since breaking his clavicle in an opening-week win over Jacksonville, Hill's return will add another downfield element to the Chiefs' vertical attack. Perhaps the most feared deep threat in all of football, Tyreek will immediately reclaim every-week WR1 status upon his return.

SOURCE: Ian Rapoport on Twitter

Oct 6, 2019, 12:24 PM ET

Any word on practice and availability this week?  Most of the opinions I'm reading are indicating that he may play, but haven't seen any updates on whether he is practicing or allowed to take part in contact drills.

Any word on practice and availability this week?  Most of the opinions I'm reading are indicating that he may play, but haven't seen any updates on whether he is practicing or allowed to take part in contact drills.
I'm all ears ... I've been subbing in Edelman so obviously need to decide tomorrow. Might roll another week with Jules just in case. Wouldn't mind seeing a full game anyway.

Might roll another week with Jules just in case. Wouldn't mind seeing a full game anyway.
I am with you. As much as it seems stupid to bench Hill no matter who the team faces, I'll have Golladay, Chark, and Sutton in favorable match ups and might just roll with them over Hill to avoid a down week his first week back.

On one hand, I can see Andy sitting him just one more week if he's below 100% -- if this is just a pain management issue, the Chiefs will have to turn it around quickly after HOU to play the next Thursday night against divisional foes in DEN. So if recovery time may be an issue, makes more sense for Hill to come back to help shore up the squad in a divisional game and have a longer period of recovery afterwards.

On the other hand, Chiefs are only one game ahead of the Raiders (surprisingly) who are on a bye, so distancing themselves further in the division from them and keeping their pace ahead of the Chargers is also a consideration, especially after that loss to IND -- a spark like Hill to keep this team on track may be pretty meaningful at this juncture of the season, and HOU is no roll-over team.

Not at all. I just have a feeling it has alternate connotations I don't know about.

I really need a key.

I am in the know about  :ptts:  ,  :wolf::pics: , and  :shiny:  (although I don't know when you would actually use the latter aside from paying ongoing respects to one of the board's best)

I think I once knew how/why to use  :obc:  and  :gang1: / :gang2:  but forgot.

I know the user reference for  :fro:  but not when to use it.

I have no idea when to use  :ph34r:  vs  :ninja::tebow:  vs  :bow: , or when you would use  :construction::toilet: , at all.

Color me  :whoosh:
:tfp:

it felt like he could have maybe even played last week if needed....if he plays this week, I think you start him....just IMO

From Rotoworld: 

PATRICK MAHOMES QB, KANSAS CITY CHIEFS

Patrick Mahomes (ankle) is practicing Wednesday.

After tweaking it in the Sunday night loss to the Colts last week, Mahomes said he's fine. He should bounce back in a big way this week at home against the Texans with Tyreek Hill (collarbone) possibly rejoining the lineup.

SOURCE: Sam McDowell on Twitter

Oct 9, 2019, 1:41 PM ET

SAMMY WATKINS WR, KANSAS CITY CHIEFS

Sammy Watkins (hamstring) is not practicing Wednesday.

Watkins made a cameo appearance to start Sunday night's eventual Week 5 loss to the Colts but quickly left after coming into the night questionable. A long suffered of lower-body injuries, Watkins can't be trusted for Week 6 against the Texans. Tyreek Hill practiced again Wednesday and could be back to join Demarcus Robinson, Mecole Hardman, and Byron Pringle at wideout.

SOURCE: BJ Kissel on Twitter

Oct 9, 2019, 12:55 PM ET

I think he plays. Wednesday Full practice is  A good sign. 

edit: damn..  limited practice.

Last edited by a moderator:
Tyreek Hill (shoulder) was a limited participant at Wednesday's practice.

Meanwhile Sammy Watkins (hamstring) sat out altogether. Coach Andy Reid mentioned it's currently a "timing thing" with Hill, meaning he's likely looking at a game-time call. If both Hill and Watkins are out, Byron Pringle enters the WR3 streaming fray following his 6/103/1 breakout in place of the latter on Sunday night. Hill returns to being a no-doubt WR1 if active.

SOURCE: Kansas City Chiefs on Twitter

Oct 9, 2019, 5:20 PM ET

Ugh. Need him to go.

Have him and David Johnson in a big money league. With Kirk, Singletary, Henry and Robbie Anderson waiting in the wings. 

need 2 to go of 6 guys.... and may only end up with Anderson able to go   :lol:  

Today's the day boys.  Not surprised by the LP designations for Wednesday and Thursday as I expected that.  Today will determine it IMO.  If he is designated FP to he'll be active on Sunday.  Today tells the tale.

Today's the day boys.  Not surprised by the LP designations for Wednesday and Thursday as I expected that.  Today will determine it IMO.  If he is designated FP to he'll be active on Sunday.  Today tells the tale.
rapsheet reported this morning they are doing a scan on him today and they hope to get good news

According to NFL Network's Ian Rapoport, there is "optimism" Tyreek Hill (clavicle) will play against the Texans in Week 6.

Hill has practiced on a limited basis the past two weeks. He's trending toward a Week 6 return, though he'll undergo a scan on his injured clavicle to make sure it's healed properly before getting the green light. Hill could be eased in coming off a month-long absence, though his matchup against the Texans is far too enticing for fantasy owners to pass up. Sunday's projected shootout in KC has a 55-point Vegas total, easily the highest on the slate.

SOURCE: Ian Rapoport on Twitter

Oct 11, 2019, 8:31 AM ET

Chiefs are playing this exactly how they should even tho it won't make fantasy owners happy.....HOU has to prepare for him at full strength.....and for not not playing at all...not many players move the "game plan" needle as much as Hill does.....he changes every defensive formation/play call when he is on the field....

Honestly, that sounds to me like he'll be sitting. 

One thing to be a GTD. Another thing to be practicing with the scout team instead of full blown practices with the 1s.
unless thats exactly what you want HOU to think by saying it......most/many practices are not open to public/media anymore, so we really have no idea what Hill really did or did not do.....he very well may have practiced a little with the scout team....but that doesn't mean he didn't also practice with the 1's....a bunch....Reid has no reason to come out and say "yeah Hill was a full go with our first team"....

thing is HOU knows this as well as all teams play these little games....which means HOU still has to prepare for him which is all you can really hope....is that they maybe waste some practice time, etc....or don't prepare enough for Hill if he does play....or somewhere in between....

Chiefs are playing this exactly how they should even tho it won't make fantasy owners happy.....HOU has to prepare for him at full strength.....and for not not playing at all...not many players move the "game plan" needle as much as Hill does.....he changes every defensive formation/play call when he is on the field....
He changes nothing unless he is on the field.  If KC is blowing smoke all week in order to fool Houston into thinking that he's going to be active, what's the benefit when he's actually a game-time scratch?

He changes nothing unless he is on the field.  If KC is blowing smoke all week in order to fool Houston into thinking that he's going to be active, what's the benefit when he's actually a game-time scratch?
I don't own hill but for one,  it waste a good chunk of film time they could be using to study the chiefs without hill. Now that it's possible he might play, they need to watch film on him and create a gameplan as if he is in. Compared to if they knew he wasn't in, they would have all that extra time to prepare.

I don't own hill but for one,  it waste a good chunk of film time they could be using to study the chiefs without hill. Now that it's possible he might play, they need to watch film on him and create a gameplan as if he is in. Compared to if they knew he wasn't in, they would have all that extra time to prepare.
Yeah, the theoretical disadvantage is forcing the Texans to prepare two different gameplans. Tyreek is enough of a factor it makes sense to do that.

Practically, I don't know how much difference it makes. Probably not much, but in a close matchup, it might have some significance.

Yeah, the theoretical disadvantage is forcing the Texans to prepare two different gameplans. Tyreek is enough of a factor that it makes sense to do that.

Practically, I don't know how much difference it makes. Probably not much, but in a close matchup, it might have some significance.
Exactly my thought. Maybe they miss a formation in film review that could be exposed since they spent so much time planning for hill. It should be a 1 score if hills out. Texans might even pull of the upset

if they spend a great deal of time having to prepare for him to play....then that was a great deal of time they weren't spending on preparing for him not to play.... :shrug:

Houston needs to only prepare one game plan: rush the passer against this awful Chiefs offensive line. Until they fix THAT it's not gonna matter.

if they spend a great deal of time having to prepare for him to play....then that was a great deal of time they weren't spending on preparing for him not to play.... :shrug:
How do they prepare for him to not play?  Do they skip preparing for a great QB throwing strikes to any really fast guys and focus on stopping the tackle-eligible and fumblerooski?  Or do they have to come up with a strategy to make sure he's not scoring TD's in street clothes?

How do they prepare for him to not play?  Do they skip preparing for a great QB throwing strikes to any really fast guys and focus on stopping the tackle-eligible and fumblerooski?  Or do they have to come up with a strategy to make sure he's not scoring TD's in street clothes?
Really interesting question.

There are definite players that an offense gameplans for. Schemes to address disruptive players like Mack and Donald; leveraging routes and 2-4th receivers to circumvent shut-down corners; creating mismatches with hybrid TEs or flanking out RBs.

Defenses preparing for offenses likely have that too -- you need to prepare to shore up run support for a team like the Giants or Dallas. Likely some tape study for talents like CMC or Cohen who can be used in such versatile ways. How you can cover Kelce or a Gronk. You need to double a guy like Megatron, arguably Hill.

But would imagine for Ds, it's more about defending tendencies on down and distance than game-planning for specific people outside of the above examples. To @Hankmoody's point, how do you specifically prepare for Tyreek? The guy is blazing fast so you put bracket coverage or press man to slow him down, but you know the routes he makes and how he does it -- it's almost just as much about disrupting Mahomes in the pocket and preventing roll-outs and those crazy on the run deep shots he can make, and that Hill can get open for. In that case, it's more defending the play than the man.

Would love to know more about this. Teams tend to be fairly secretive about how they gameplan, but would be very interesting to know some of the ins-and-outs of how both Os and Ds approach this.

You are right... sorry...they shouldn't account/prep for Hill...he is a JAG 

Stompin' Tom Connors said:
Really interesting question.

There are definite players that an offense gameplans for. Schemes to address disruptive players like Mack and Donald; leveraging routes and 2-4th receivers to circumvent shut-down corners; creating mismatches with hybrid TEs or flanking out RBs.

Defenses preparing for offenses likely have that too -- you need to prepare to shore up run support for a team like the Giants or Dallas. Likely some tape study for talents like CMC or Cohen who can be used in such versatile ways. How you can cover Kelce or a Gronk. You need to double a guy like Megatron, arguably Hill.

But would imagine for Ds, it's more about defending tendencies on down and distance than game-planning for specific people outside of the above examples. To @Hankmoody's point, how do you specifically prepare for Tyreek? The guy is blazing fast so you put bracket coverage or press man to slow him down, but you know the routes he makes and how he does it -- it's almost just as much about disrupting Mahomes in the pocket and preventing roll-outs and those crazy on the run deep shots he can make, and that Hill can get open for. In that case, it's more defending the play than the man.

Would love to know more about this. Teams tend to be fairly secretive about how they gameplan, but would be very interesting to know some of the ins-and-outs of how both Os and Ds approach this.
Good thoughts.  I'm going to throw in my two cents here.

It's also about the individual matchups.  I follow the Seahawks and I remember back in 2013/2014 when it was "en vogue" for the media talking heads to criticize Richard Sherman for "only playing one side of the field" instead of following the opposing team's #1 player.  His response (paraphrased) was that he had to study all of the receivers on their team in order to understand what they were doing which was actually more difficult to do.

The way I'm reading this is if a CB has to prepare for the week and may potentially go head-to-head against Hill, he might not necessarily be studying his understudy as much which may lead to some early confusion.  A good example of how this translates is how the Raiders were not prepared for Demarcus Robinson and he torched them accordingly, however has remained in check moving forward (once CBs had some tape on him).

Given this, I would expect that if Hill goes it might be a bit of a timeshare early on to see which WR the CB prepared for.

Until the Chiefs figure out their protections with that awful offensive line, I would temper all expectations of the KC offense.

Hell, if anything, I’m betting high on McCoy and Damian on the screen game more than anything. Mahomes simply has no time to throw downfield accurately at this point.

I don't think he plays tomorrow.  He practiced with the scout team this week.  I don't think he'd do that if they thought he was going to play.  His skill set and impact are unique enough that they were destined to lie for a week or two and say he might come back when he had no chance of actually coming back.
Hope you are wrong; think that you are right.

I don't think he plays tomorrow.  He practiced with the scout team this week.  I don't think he'd do that if they thought he was going to play.  His skill set and impact are unique enough that they were destined to lie for a week or two and say he might come back when he had no chance of actually coming back.
FWIW...Reid did say that he also ran "a little bit" with the offense.  Still..I'm skeptical.

ESPN's Adam Schefter reports Tyreek Hill (shoulder) has a "serious chance" to play in Week 6 against the Texans.

Hill will test his shoulder pregame before the team makes a final call on his availability. With a "serious chance" to play, season-long and DFS players should begin filtering out Byron Pringle from their lineups as Hill would warrant Top 7 consideration at his position alongside Demarcus Robinson and rookie Mecole Hardman in three-wide sets if active. Pringle would become a WR3 streamer and DFS cash game option only if Hill's shoulder fails during pregame warmups.

SOURCE: Adam Schefter on Twitter

Oct 13, 2019, 1:44 AM ET

If this were a total chump team I'd lean toward no go. But this is marquee game of week and Mahomes needs weapons. 

FWIW I'll roll dice in flex over Malcolm Brown (Gurley owner)

If this were a total chump team I'd lean toward no go. But this is marquee game of week and Mahomes needs weapons. 

FWIW I'll roll dice in flex over Malcolm Brown (Gurley owner)
I'm debating firing up Hill myself in one league over the bust known as JuJu. (but thats Big Ben's fault too)

But if you are starting Hill over Brown , who is likely guaranteed 13-15 touches or more.....well, ya got faith I guess.

Any other week I might agree, but NO GURLEY + HILL LIKELY LIMITED........ :oldunsure:             

I bet its close, but you are going for upside I reckon. I like the gutsy call, not sure if I could stomach it though.

TZM

I'm debating firing up Hill myself in one league over the bust known as JuJu. (but thats Big Ben's fault too)

But if you are starting Hill over Brown , who is likely guaranteed 13-15 touches or more.....well, ya got faith I guess.

Any other week I might agree, but NO GURLEY + HILL LIKELY LIMITED........ :oldunsure:             

I bet its close, but you are going for upside I reckon. I like the gutsy call, not sure if I could stomach it though.

TZM
Oh great now your giving me second thoughts haha. I guess it's about minimizing regret. If Hill goes off I'd feel more a dope with him on my bench vs Brown. Because IMO Brown has more usage question marks. We have yet to see how McVay will divvy up touches sans Gurley. While I don't really believe much in Henderson you never know. Plus SF is a tough matchup. Hopefully they put Hill on ice one more week and it is moot. 

Oh great now your giving me second thoughts haha. I guess it's about minimizing regret. If Hill goes off I'd feel more a dope with him on my bench vs Brown. Because IMO Brown has more usage question marks. We have yet to see how McVay will divvy up touches sans Gurley. While I don't really believe much in Henderson you never know. Plus SF is a tough matchup. Hopefully they put Hill on ice one more week and it is moot. 
Hill has a very low floor.  Brown has a very high floor.  And I don't see much difference in their ceilings.

TZM
I’m starting hill over juju.  

Users who are viewing this thread