What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

NFL viewership off 11% YOY (1 Viewer)

Even without Wentz, it's a pretty intriguing match-up. Eagles are obviously a huge underdog, and I think loads of viewers will be tuning in to see if they can pull it off. Given all the QB injuries, I think this is one of the better match-ups the NFL could've hoped for from a ratings perspective. Big-market, interesting team that's never won a SB against a dynasty (and you may hate the dynasty, but more people watch when NE is playing, I'm sure).

This match-up has to hurt viewership even more. Both teams from the NE part of the US. Seems it limits viewer interest to an even smaller corner of the country.
I would think the Pats like the Yankees or the Irish will always drive ratings b/c there's no ambivalence about them; you either love them or you hate them.   

Even without Wentz, it's a pretty intriguing match-up. Eagles are obviously a huge underdog, and I think loads of viewers will be tuning in to see if they can pull it off. Given all the QB injuries, I think this is one of the better match-ups the NFL could've hoped for from a ratings perspective. Big-market, interesting team that's never won a SB against a dynasty (and you may hate the dynasty, but more people watch when NE is playing, I'm sure).
Is there a precedence for a team making a superbowl like the Eagles where their franchise QB was injured during the season?

I guess I'm one of the people still sleeping on the Eagles because I expected them to lose to the Falcons.. and every game thereafter.

I feel like it will be really weird if they were to win the game and then they have a QB that just won them a superbowl and had been a pro bowl QB for them in the past. and their franchise guy who's definitely better...  that's just an odd spot to be in.

All the Brady Patriots superbowls have one thing in common... they are one score games that come down to the wire.

Is there a precedence for a team making a superbowl like the Eagles where their franchise QB was injured during the season?

I guess I'm one of the people still sleeping on the Eagles because I expected them to lose to the Falcons.. and every game thereafter.

I feel like it will be really weird if they were to win the game and then they have a QB that just won them a superbowl and had been a pro bowl QB for them in the past. and their franchise guy who's definitely better...  that's just an odd spot to be in.

All the Brady Patriots superbowls have one thing in common... they are one score games that come down to the wire.
Jeff Hostetler replacing Phil Simms is the one I always think of. Also, I'm pretty sure Kurt Warner was technically the backup when Trent green got hurt in preseason when they won the super bowl but I don't think that one should count. 

6th rounder Brady taking over for Bledsoe in 2001.

Jeff Hostetler replacing Phil Simms is the one I always think of. Also, I'm pretty sure Kurt Warner was technically the backup when Trent green got hurt in preseason when they won the super bowl but I don't think that one should count. 
yup, i forgot about that one... probably because that giants team was mostly run and defense and Jeff didn't really have to do much.   Man the Bills should've beaten that team

6th rounder Brady taking over for Bledsoe in 2001.
Yup.. should've remembered that also.   Gosh there's absolutely no reason the Rams should not have won that game.   I really hated that '01 Pats team...  really didn't respect the entire Pats unit until the '07 16-0 season..  by then I really came around to liking Brady as a player..  then was just pissed they lost that helmet catch game.

What's happened since then has been ridiculous... what a career.. regardless of whether he wins or loses in a couple weeks.   Given that the Pats should've definitely lost in '14 and '16.. it wouldn't surprise me if they lost a game they really should win a la 2007/2011

Aside from the previous posts, there's also:

- Roger Staubach (alternated with Craig Morton the first few weeks of 1971, then became full time starter in Week 7)
- Jim Plunkett (took over for Dan Pastorini in Week 3 of 1980)
- Doug Williams (started weeks 2 and 10 of 1987, but sat on the bench the rest of the year. Then suddenly he was announced as the starter for the playoffs)
- Trent Dilfer (didn't take over from Tony Banks until midseason)

Most of the starters weren't exactly "franchise" quarterbacks, but Jay Schroeder had gone 12-4 for the Redskins in 1986 and was named to the Pro Bowl.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hard pass on this one.  Only way I tune in is to see the aftermath if a meteor hits the stadium.
This got me to thinking about all that sanctimonious bullcrap waxed by announcers whenever an NFL owner comes onto their monitors. I think they'd draw more fans if they cut the piety and began making jokes about the owners' hair and how they inherited their money or just what giant dooshnozzles they all are (looking at you, Dan Snyder). I'd tune in at least for a little while to get a fresh batch of Mark Davis Dumb n Dumber jokes.

Baseball freaking rules.

Those that don't think so....go eat some more of the #### sandwich being shoved down your throat known as todays NFL.
I like baseball but it's not even close and viewership numbers will agree with me.  I will watch just about any football game because I love football and it's entertaining.  I can't do that with baseball.  I will watch every Cubs game but I can't stomach wasting my time watching two other teams play, it's too boring.  The only time I enjoy watching other teams besides the Cubs is during the playoffs.

- Roger Staubach (alternated with Craig Morton the first few weeks of 1971, then became full time starter in Week 7)

I don't think this qualifies. Morton wasn't injured that year.  Morton had his whole shoulder thing 2 years prior and was just rendered ineffective post-surgery.   

I like baseball but it's not even close and viewership numbers will agree with me.  I will watch just about any football game because I love football and it's entertaining.  I can't do that with baseball.  I will watch every Cubs game but I can't stomach wasting my time watching two other teams play, it's too boring.  The only time I enjoy watching other teams besides the Cubs is during the playoffs.
Hey I get it. Everyone likes what they like.

I still watch football. But man...the last 7-10 years have been painful for me with all this replay nonsense plus I am not as fond of the players these days. It has truly ruined the game. Just my opinion. 

I actually prefer the college game far more. Even though games can take longer than NFL games....the actual game itself is far more enjoyable action wise. The pageantry and the pride oozes out of the screen compared to the sterile, packaged and contrived NFL. Just awful now. 

This is me. I don't like the NFL, I like seeing the best football players in the world playing on free TV. I also watch college & high school football but it's obviously not at the same talent level. Other sports have their place, but football at its highest level will always be #1.

Hey I get it. Everyone likes what they like.

I still watch football. But man...the last 7-10 years have been painful for me with all this replay nonsense plus I am not as fond of the players these days. It has truly ruined the game. Just my opinion. 

I actually prefer the college game far more. Even though games can take longer than NFL games....the actual game itself is far more enjoyable action wise. The pageantry and the pride oozes out of the screen compared to the sterile, packaged and contrived NFL. Just awful now. 
I love college football as well.  Been a season ticket holder to Iowa games for a while now.  I just love the game of football in general.

Baseball has gotten worse since they added replay just like the NFL.  Every year MLB is trying to find ways to shorten the game because it's just takes too long.  What sucks is when you watch a slow pitcher when he's throwing balls.  Takes forever.  Inconsistent strike zones have also gotten bad.  Really, all the things people complain about the NFL I can almost find wrong with MLB.  If I wasn't a Cubs fan I probably wouldn't watch any games until the playoffs.

I love college football as well.  Been a season ticket holder to Iowa games for a while now.  I just love the game of football in general.

Baseball has gotten worse since they added replay just like the NFL.  Every year MLB is trying to find ways to shorten the game because it's just takes too long.  What sucks is when you watch a slow pitcher when he's throwing balls.  Takes forever.  Inconsistent strike zones have also gotten bad.  Really, all the things people complain about the NFL I can almost find wrong with MLB.  If I wasn't a Cubs fan I probably wouldn't watch any games until the playoffs.
Quite the opposite for me with baseball replay. They make the decisions quickly and it is obvious when a call is right or wrong. There is no 20 minute discussion of is it a catch or not. I was very apprehensive about replay in baseball. As long as they simply keep it like it is now....I am good with it.

The only two things I am not enjoying are the catcher blocking home plate rules (pure BS and it is called the Buster Posey rule because if it was a 2nd string catcher called up from AAA filling in while a star catcher were on the DL it would have been a non story and no rules change would have happened) and they are taking the take out slide rule waaaaaaay too far at 2B on double plays. Part of playing baseball was being an aggressive slider to take out the double play. Your taught this in pony league (13 years old and up) that when you slide make sure you try and disrupt the double play timing. Now I don't condone intentionally hurting another player with a take out slide. But 99% of those slides are without intent to hurt, but to just simply disrupt the double play and not give up and lay down and accept it. Chase Utlley's slides had intent...no doubt. I was not a fan of the way he did it. He clearly is going for the legs. But many many (most) baseball players are just sliding hard into the bag and not trying to take them out completely. The rule is being interpreted far too aggressively IMO. 

Anyway.....baseball has no time clock. It is 27 outs. It is part of the charm for me. And yeah slow working pitchers are a chore to watch (Scott Sanderson I am talking to you you slow as molasses #####) but a pitch clock or batter in the box clock is ridiculous. That is not how baseball has been played nor should it ever be. Part of the pace of play makes baseball the kind of game you can talk and share thoughts on the strategy, what pitch you think is coming, what play might be on....a lot of things going on between pitches. Our society has become far too ADD. It is just that simple. Also there are 162 games which for me is awesome. Some nights will be a drag some nights will be fast, some will be exciting, some boring, but always unpredictable.

Baseball is the ultimate game of anticipation. On any given pitch you just don't know what could happen. I get the Extra Innings package and love that I can watch any team I want every night. 

1 more month till pitchers and catchers report!!

I used to watch baseball constantly.  I get it that to be a true "fan" you need to watch all the games and follow the teams ups/downs but there is so much more out there now.  4 hours is just a whole lot of time to dedicate to anything like that.  When it was the era where Seinfeld and Simpsons were the only things on TV, things were different.  I can catch the highlights in 3 minutes of youtube clips and get years of my life back.  

I used to watch baseball constantly.  I get it that to be a true "fan" you need to watch all the games and follow the teams ups/downs but there is so much more out there now.  4 hours is just a whole lot of time to dedicate to anything like that.  When it was the era where Seinfeld and Simpsons were the only things on TV, things were different.  I can catch the highlights in 3 minutes of youtube clips and get years of my life back.  
LOL yeah. That is true. But West Coast baseball is my late night delight while my wife hit's the sack. 

I can binge watch TV series anytime I want. 

But if you want the best baseball highlight show.....tune in to Hedi on Quick Pitch every morning on the MLB network. Best highlight show bar none for any sport.

Joe Summer said:

- Jim Plunkett (took over for Dan Pastorini in Week 3 of 1980)
- Doug Williams (started weeks 2 and 4 of 1987, then sat on the bench the rest of the year. Then suddenly he was announced as the starter for the playoffs)
- Trent Dilfer (didn't take over from Tony Banks until midseason)

Most of the starters weren't exactly "franchise" quarterbacks, but Jay Schroeder had gone 12-4 for the Redskins in 1986 and was named to the Pro Bowl.
Good post.   What's the Doug Williams story?  Sure seems off

Todem said:
Quite the opposite for me with baseball replay. They make the decisions quickly and it is obvious when a call is right or wrong. There is no 20 minute discussion of is it a catch or not. I was very apprehensive about replay in baseball. As long as they simply keep it like it is now....I am good with it.

The only two things I am not enjoying are the catcher blocking home plate rules (pure BS and it is called the Buster Posey rule because if it was a 2nd string catcher called up from AAA filling in while a star catcher were on the DL it would have been a non story and no rules change would have happened) and they are taking the take out slide rule waaaaaaay too far at 2B on double plays. Part of playing baseball was being an aggressive slider to take out the double play. Your taught this in pony league (13 years old and up) that when you slide make sure you try and disrupt the double play timing. Now I don't condone intentionally hurting another player with a take out slide. But 99% of those slides are without intent to hurt, but to just simply disrupt the double play and not give up and lay down and accept it. Chase Utlley's slides had intent...no doubt. I was not a fan of the way he did it. He clearly is going for the legs. But many many (most) baseball players are just sliding hard into the bag and not trying to take them out completely. The rule is being interpreted far too aggressively IMO. 

Anyway.....baseball has no time clock. It is 27 outs. It is part of the charm for me. And yeah slow working pitchers are a chore to watch (Scott Sanderson I am talking to you you slow as molasses #####) but a pitch clock or batter in the box clock is ridiculous. That is not how baseball has been played nor should it ever be. Part of the pace of play makes baseball the kind of game you can talk and share thoughts on the strategy, what pitch you think is coming, what play might be on....a lot of things going on between pitches. Our society has become far too ADD. It is just that simple. Also there are 162 games which for me is awesome. Some nights will be a drag some nights will be fast, some will be exciting, some boring, but always unpredictable.

Baseball is the ultimate game of anticipation. On any given pitch you just don't know what could happen. I get the Extra Innings package and love that I can watch any team I want every night. 

1 more month till pitchers and catchers report!!
Well they are adding a 20 second pitch clock this year

Love baseball and the fact they have no clock. One of the best things they have in my opinion. 

Nothing better than sitting in the garage on a summer night with the TV on and a cold beer in my hand. Watching the game, talking to neighbors, kids outside playing in the yard. I can get stuff done in there while the game is on.

It's always done by 10:00 or so, so I'm in bed at a decent hour. 

Love baseball and the fact they have no clock. One of the best things they have in my opinion. 

Nothing better than sitting in the garage on a summer night with the TV on and a cold beer in my hand. Watching the game, talking to neighbors, kids outside playing in the yard. I can get stuff done in there while the game is on.

So the best part about this sport is that it drags on so long that you don't have to pay attention to it? ;)

So the best part about this sport is that it drags on so long that you don't have to pay attention to it? ;)
Lol.....the great thing is a lot less commercials and stoppages in play. The beauty of baseball. Only time we get breaks is between innings and pitching changes.

One trend in baseball (and it has been for a little while now) is the lack of starters able to go 6-7 innings. Relief pitching (middle relief for that matter) has fast become a high paying position. In the past (80's, 90's and early 00's) they did not make much money. Now? A good middle reliever can make 5-8 Million a year easy. So we get a lot more pitching changes now then ever before.

The new saying around the league is 5 and fly. (5 innings for the starter and goodbye). Very few workhorses these days. And that's sad. I love those inning eaters of old. Guys who had rubber arms and were horses. 

When you have at least two of those guys.....it does wonders for your bullpen. 

Sounds like a lot of other sports qualify and enjoyable for you then.  Could just as easy put a soccer game on or golf tourney.  Why not hockey?

I actually enjoy watching all of those sports on TV.  I even enjoy watching fishing shows, but I love to fish.

Good post. What's the Doug Williams story? Sure seems off
Jay Schroeder had a lingering shoulder injury and had troubles with ball velocity. But he still went 8-2 in 1987. At one point Schroeder was benched for his erratic play, but then Williams got injured in the very next game and it was back to Schroeder. In the regular-season-finale, Williams came off the bench to throw 2 TDs in the 2nd half to lead Washington a come-from-behind victory. Shortly afterwards, Joe Gibbs announced that Williams would start in the playoffs.

One of the underlying factors was the pedigrees of the two quarterbacks. Schroeder was a 3rd-round-pick who was a backup in college and only got a chance to play in the NFL because Joe Theismann got injured. A lot of people thought that his 1986 season was just a fluke and that Williams should have been the starter all along. Meanwhile, Williams was a former first round pick who had led the Buccaneers to the NFC Championship game and had starred in the USFL. (Also, Joe Gibbs had been OC for the Bucs, so he was familiar with what Williams could do.)

The whole controversy played out in the press for well over a year. In 1988, Schroeder was traded (to the Raiders) and Williams got injured and was replaced by Mark Rypien, who led the team to another Super Bowl victory in 1992.

Ironically, Williams was almost traded to the Raiders in 1987. But thanks to Washington's high asking price (a 1st round pick) and Gibbs's gut feeling that Williams might be needed later in the year, the trade was canceled. The Raiders probably dodged a bullet on that one, considering the fact that their 1st round pick in 1988 was Tim Brown.

Sounds like a lot of other sports qualify and enjoyable for you then.  Could just as easy put a soccer game on or golf tourney.  Why not hockey?

I actually enjoy watching all of those sports on TV.  I even enjoy watching fishing shows, but I love to fish.
Post season hockey is freaking fantastic.

I feel with baseball, I can have it on (non playoffs) and do other stuff and greatly enjoy the game. Hockey moves much faster and thus I feel like I have to watch every second. no multitasking

Post season hockey is freaking fantastic.
I agree.  Hockey is nonstop action.  I never understood how people can call it boring.  I get not being interested if you don't know any of the players but it's exciting.  Also one of the best things to watch live.

Users who are viewing this thread