Jump to content
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

***Chicago Bears Thread*** Got a QB! Don't ruin him!


Recommended Posts

Let's hope all these rumors aren't true. Gilmore reports talks broke down. Lost out on best tackle available. Sounding like Jefferson not in the equation. Could lose Alshon.  All while having plenty of cap space. Now isn't the time to conserve cap space you morons. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, saintfool said:

$15 million isn't "huge money" for the position anymore. It's what you pay for a low-end starter in 2017. You weren't going to get established starters like Taylor or Cousins. No one will touch Kapernick right now. Garrapolo hype is nothing but a combination of desperation and wishful thinking. This is may be the best of a bad set of options, quite frankly. I'd be curious to see how the deal is structured because I think they're still going to draft someone. They're going to let Glennon serve as the bridge with the potential for actually competing within the division, as opposed to signing Hoyer or keeping Barkley.

You're missing it again. No, 15 million isn't huge money for a starting qb. It IS huge money to someone who's a backup qb that you put in as a starter. If the deal is structured to 3 years 45 million with a lot of it guaranteed, it's a huge mistake.  See Brock Osweiler.  We had a bridge qb with Hoyer, and cheap. Now you're paying 45 million to a bridge qb?!? That's lunacy! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

43 minutes ago, flapgreen said:

You're missing it again. No, 15 million isn't huge money for a starting qb. It IS huge money to someone who's a backup qb that you put in as a starter. If the deal is structured to 3 years 45 million with a lot of it guaranteed, it's a huge mistake.  See Brock Osweiler.  We had a bridge qb with Hoyer, and cheap. Now you're paying 45 million to a bridge qb?!? That's lunacy! 

I'm not sure you get it: The Bucs drafted Winston. They saw a brighter future with Winston than with Glennon and it worked out. There's no shame in saying he was beat out by Winston. Glennon put up respectable numbers as a rookie. He struggled year two like many do (hey, like Winston!) but I don't fault the Bucs - or Glennon - for taking Winston. He's clearly the better player right now. 

What you had with Hoyer was a career back-up. You were dooming your team and fans to mediocrity at best. You can't ask a coach, GM, or the fans to subject themselves to that. Glennon has *some* upside, potential even if it is B- grade. No one is suggesting that a deal for Osweiller gets made again. Keep in mind, Denver was willing to spend $15m on Brock too. Brock just got a better offer in Houston. Glennon alone doesn't make sense. Glennon with a favorable contract (even if $15m year one is guaranteed) + Watson, for example, is a plan. They have $51 million in cap room this year. The cap will increase next year too. This is rational planning.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, flapgreen said:

Let's hope all these rumors aren't true. Gilmore reports talks broke down. Lost out on best tackle available. Sounding like Jefferson not in the equation. Could lose Alshon.  All while having plenty of cap space. Now isn't the time to conserve cap space you morons. 

Why the hell haven't we heard AJ Bouye's name linked to us this week?  Ridiculous. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, RBM said:

Why the hell haven't we heard AJ Bouye's name linked to us this week?  Ridiculous. 

Why the hell are all of the big name free agents apparently signing with other teams while the Bears are sitting on their hands? Uh, you just went 3-13 and you have a ton of cap space. After being cautious over the last 2 seasons, Nows not the time to be cautious!!! The idiocy of this team defies all belief. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, flapgreen said:

Rumors are 3yrs 15mil per for Glennon. If that actually the case, it's more of the same for this organization and Pace is no different than anyone else. Lions appeared to have locked up Wagner, so there's the best RT gone. More years of failure and embarrassment again, guys. So pretty much same as day 1

At least we'll have another high draft pick in 2018:shrug:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Bears fans seem to be treating this signing as some sort of embarrassing disaster "because Mike Glennon"......obviously. I mean, it must be self-evident that he's terrible, even though he's barely played for 2 seasons.

I'm not saying he's going to come in and tear up the league, because that's very unlikely. But I guess I don't understand why people can't at least be open to the idea that Glennon might be okay, at least a league average starter (or slightly below, which is what this money represents). There seems to be this attitude around the media (not just in relation to Glennon) that players aren't capable of improving or that if you have demonstrated flaws in the past, they can't be overcome - if your first 'take' in relation to a player is negative, then that's who that player is forever more.

In the case of Glennon, he wasn't even terrible as a rookie. I would say that we don't have a big enough sample size yet to really know if he's a starter level QB or not - he's still young and unproven, but now he gets his chance. If he fails, he'll be out of the league in 2 years.

The money doesn't seem ridiculous to me since QB is the most expensive postion. Others have said that it's a lot to pay a backup QB....sure, but he was a backup on another team that had Winston. How do we know that he couldn't have started last year for other teams (including the Bears) and performed well? I don't want to sound like Glennon's biggest fan because I'm not but I just don't think the verdict is in yet and this move seems fine to me, givne the other available options, and that there still may be some upside here.

 

Edited by RushHour
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, mbuehner said:

Like it or not, it looks like 15m WAS the market price for Glennon: https://mobile.twitter.com/CharlesRobinson/status/838588037915426817

Multiple #NFL sources are pegging the free agent contract of #Bucs QB Mike Glennon as expected to land between $14-$15 million per season.9:12 PM · Mar 5, 2017

 

I wonder what Hoyer got.

 

 

15m can't be the market when there are only two bidders....one who is willing to pay 8m.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Love that pretty much everyone is laughing at the Bears. Anyone who thinks he's better than Jay has no clue about football. And we're paying him more. Pace and Fox will be gone within 2 years and the Bears left with #### again.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, Grahamburn said:

Give the guy a chance, Chicago.

Glennon us good enough to win a few more games than the 3 that Chicago won last year. I guess that will be looked at as a great improvement. Great job at improving, Bears! Better be a front loaded deal with ability to cut him after one season. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The Bears continuing their long history of bad QBs. Remember when Pace said they were going to draft a QB every year? And now, because they made no effort to address the QB position, they are reduced to signing Mike Glennon for $14.5 million a year and pretending that this is a step forward. Is it something in the water at Halas Hall? Are the football gods angry at the Bears for something? I know Cutler had to go, but my guess is, by mid-season we are remembering the good old days when Cutler was under center. Another sad day in Bearsland.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The list of Bears QBs in the last 30 year:

Mike Phipps-Vince Evans-Bob Avellini-Greg Landry-Jim McMahon-Steve Fuller-Mike Tomczak-Doug Flutie-Jim Harbaugh-Peter Tom Willis-Will Furrer-Eric Kramer-Steve Walsh-Dave Kreig-Rick Mirer-Steve Stenstrom-Moses Moreno-Shane Matthews-Cade McNown-Jim Miller-Chris Chandler-Henry Burris-Cordell Stewart-Rex Grossman-Jonathan Quinn-Craig Krenzel-Chad Hutchinson-Kyle Orton-Brian Griese-Jay Cutler

Glennon ought to fit right in with his bunch.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Top cb now off the market.  Chicago sits idle with top safety, CB, and tackle now gone. Great freaking job you morons. 

The expected price tag for free agent CB Stephon Gilmore for the #Patriots is slated to eclipse $14M per year, I’m told. Hefty but worth it

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The Bears arent going to the Superbowl this year. Or next year. Thats just a fact. I dont see any point in paying top position free agents this season, especially before you even draft. In a couple years when the Bears expect to start competing again, those guys would be leaving, and in the meantime they were relegating the guys who will be here to the sideline. History shows you dont build a successful franchise through free agency. I see no problem with what the Bears are doing in that respect.

Edited by mbuehner
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 years into a rebuild with a load of cap space and because they're not going to the Super Bowl next year, you don't think they should sign any big time talent. That reasoning is beyond me.  So what should they do with the cap space? Spent the last 2 years being conservative with it and it led to a total of 9 wins.  Now you think they should continue with that strategy because you "can't build a successful franchise though free agency?" Hugely simplistic way to view it. This team Plain sucks. Devoid of top end talent. None of their own players worth re-signing, but they shouldn't sign any other top free agents because they're years away from competing, still? This is organization and mindset is why the Bears continue to be losers. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, RBM said:

Why the hell haven't we heard AJ Bouye's name linked to us this week?  Ridiculous. 

With Gilmore likely out of the picture, #Bears made an offer to the other top cornerback, A.J. Bouye, according to ESPN's Jeff Dickerson.

11 hours ago, flapgreen said:

Why the hell are all of the big name free agents apparently signing with other teams while the Bears are sitting on their hands? Uh, you just went 3-13 and you have a ton of cap space. After being cautious over the last 2 seasons, Nows not the time to be cautious!!! The idiocy of this team defies all belief. 

Why would any FA want to sign with the Bears other than money?  Even if the Bears are offering the most why would a player pick them over a team like the Pats?  Remember, the Pats have a lot of money this off season even after winning the SB.  That puts a team like the Bears in a tough spot.

This makes it even more important to sign Jeffery.  They aren't using that money on many other guys so far.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, flapgreen said:

3 years into a rebuild with a load of cap space and because they're not going to the Super Bowl next year, you don't think they should sign any big time talent. That reasoning is beyond me.  So what should they do with the cap space? Spent the last 2 years being conservative with it and it led to a total of 9 wins.  Now you think they should continue with that strategy because you "can't build a successful franchise though free agency?" Hugely simplistic way to view it. This team Plain sucks. Devoid of top end talent. None of their own players worth re-signing, but they shouldn't sign any other top free agents because they're years away from competing, still? This is organization and mindset is why the Bears continue to be losers. 

If you pay, say, a top end Right Tackle, and then the best player on your board in round 2 is a right tackle... what do you do? Take a different guy, which violated your core philosophy of always taking the best available? Or draft a guy to sit for a couple years?

What is the point of bringing in flashy, expensive talent to win you a couple extra games and move you down in the draft while keeping you mediocre? Thats football hell defined.

The Bears didnt become one of the worst franchises in football in a year or two, they arent going to fix it in a year or two. Its going to take several years of good drafting to restock the cupboard. Developing 'Bears' has to be the primary focus. Taking that focus away so you can puff your chest out about landing a free agent that doesnt help you in the big picture is how you stay bad.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, flapgreen said:

Guys care about making money. Not winning. Perfect year to continue rebuilding the defense and the space to do it and we're signing Glennon when we're not going to win much anyway. 

Wait, wait, wait...  So if the Bears offer a guy $10M per year and the Pats offer that same guy $9M per year with all the same guarantees you're saying they would pick the Bears because they only care about making money?  I believe you may be incredibly wrong on this one.  Money is important but it's generally got to be a significant difference to choose a losing team over a winning team.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Hawkeye21 said:

Wait, wait, wait...  So if the Bears offer a guy $10M per year and the Pats offer that same guy $9M per year with all the same guarantees you're saying they would pick the Bears because they only care about making money?  I believe you may be incredibly wrong on this one.  Money is important but it's generally got to be a significant difference to choose a losing team over a winning team.

I think most guys would take the extra million for sure.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, mbuehner said:

If you pay, say, a top end Right Tackle, and then the best player on your board in round 2 is a right tackle... what do you do? Take a different guy, which violated your core philosophy of always taking the best available? Or draft a guy to sit for a couple years?

What is the point of bringing in flashy, expensive talent to win you a couple extra games and move you down in the draft while keeping you mediocre? Thats football hell defined.

The Bears didnt become one of the worst franchises in football in a year or two, they arent going to fix it in a year or two. Its going to take several years of good drafting to restock the cupboard. Developing 'Bears' has to be the primary focus. Taking that focus away so you can puff your chest out about landing a free agent that doesnt help you in the big picture is how you stay bad.

If the Tackle is by far the best player available in the draft then you take that guy and have two really good Tackles.  Having a lot of talent on the OL is a good problem to have.  You can move one to the other Tackle position, use one as a back up or trade one.  It's a pretty important position.

If you have a similar grade on a guy that's a different position then I think it's perfectly fine to take the other guy.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Hawkeye21 said:

If the Tackle is by far the best player available in the draft then you take that guy and have two really good Tackles.  Having a lot of talent on the OL is a good problem to have.  You can move one to the other Tackle position, use one as a back up or trade one.  It's a pretty important position.

If you have a similar grade on a guy that's a different position then I think it's perfectly fine to take the other guy.

Thats certainly true- but I'm talking about the philosophy more than anything. There, of course, will be free agent signings. But the free agents should be in service of building the team long term, and that means not prioritizing big names just because they are big names.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Hawkeye21 said:

Very doubtful.  Not for $1M.  Of course some guys might, especially a young guy but most want to win and going to the Pats gives them a very good chance at a SB.

Its a million dollars. Even for millionaires thats a lot of money.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, flapgreen said:

Bears Suck. Build the defense. Develop a qb. Nope. Let's sign mike Glennon and then be conservative. Great 

They're still going to draft a QB though so it doesn't really matter that much.  It's possible that by getting Glennon they may be wanting to draft D with the first pick and a QB in the 2nd or 3rd which is what a lot of fans wanted to start with.  I don't think Glennon is that good but the overall strategy is fine.

The money kind of bothered me at first but they don't seem to be getting any top FAs anyway so there is still plenty of money left to spend.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, mbuehner said:

Its a million dollars. Even for millionaires thats a lot of money.

Not really, not when you're getting a multi million contract already.  I've heard numerous times when they go through negotiations how that's not a huge difference.  One isn't too bad, two makes a difference and anything over that is getting too far apart for most.

I'm strictly going by reports I read online and seeing negotiations on shows from NFL Films and Hard Knocks.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Pace said he would build around Jay Cutler last year. That never happened.  This year, he said they would spend in free agency to build the secondary. Let's see if he's lying there, too.  So far, we have statue Mike Glennon and two garbage tackles to protect him. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

First 20 minutes of Spiegel and Harkins got me off the ledge.

We have more money than we can spend and this doesn't prevent us from drafting a qb or signing anyone we want. And I ha no interest in seeing Cutler or Hoyer in a Bear uniform again.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, RBM said:

First 20 minutes of Spiegel and Harkins got me off the ledge.

We have more money than we can spend and this doesn't prevent us from drafting a qb or signing anyone we want. And I ha no interest in seeing Cutler or Hoyer in a Bear uniform again.

That may get you off the ledge with Glennon but what about not giving Gilmore a serious offer?  Or seriously going after Bouye?  They absolutely have to sign some quality players in FA because they do not have enough draft picks to fill all the needs they have.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Hawkeye21 said:

That may get you off the ledge with Glennon but what about not giving Gilmore a serious offer?  Or seriously going after Bouye?  They absolutely have to sign some quality players in FA because they do not have enough draft picks to fill all the needs they have.

Exactly right. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guys seem to forget that DeMaurice Smith attacked the Bears organization last month advising all FA's to stay away.  It seems like the Bears may have to over pay for every player they want this off-season.

 

http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2017/02/03/demaurice-smith-nflpa-will-sway-players-from-signing-with-bears-if-illinois-workers-comp-bill-passes/

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • flapgreen changed the title to ***Chicago Bears Thread*** Got a QB! Don't ruin him!

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...