What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Chicago Bears Thread*** A dynasty begins... (17 Viewers)

This would be the one scenario that would make me feel better about last night's move.

If they don't gain any more picks in this draft I'm not sure what their plans will be to fill the other needs they have.  I suppose they will just pick up undrafted guys.
Yeah... My issue is that I don't see a top of round 2 pick bargain that makes sense.  Other teams should want these guys more than Chicago.  Worst case is to grab CB King or OT Robinson. Although JuJu or Cook could be interesting too...

I'm sure they did have him ranked higher.  They're just wrong and used a lot of picks in a deep draft to move up one spot when they could have had their guy at 3.
Who are you tied in with at the 49ers that is giving you this inside info that they would have stayed pat and not of traded with anyone else?

*Note - I dont like the pick either, but you guys are making black and white assumptions with no basis.  The moving parts of a draft go far beyond what any of us can even pretend to understand.

Who are you tied in with at the 49ers that is giving you this inside info that they would have stayed pat and not of traded with anyone else?

*Note - I dont like the pick either, but you guys are making black and white assumptions with no basis.  The moving parts of a draft go far beyond what any of us can even pretend to understand.
Of course they could have traded with someone else.  Chicago must have thought they were going to, obviously.  I just think the Bears made a knee jerk head scratching move when they need a lot more help on their team.

If Trubisky works out then the picks they gave up will not matter.  I hope he does for Bears' fans sake. 

Does anyone think Kizer goes before the Bears tonight?
This will be interesting.  I was hoping they would take Adams round one and grab Keizer in 2 if available.  

My guess though is someone makes a trade and grabs him in the first 3 picks.  Although the Bears could have made the trade and moved up to grab him if necessary and not given up as much obviously.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm ok with the trade since they obviously love Trubisky. My only thing is now Trubisky better be better than Watson, because imo Watson was the guy to get AND he wouldn't have cost picks. 

BusterTBronco said:
Ha ha ha!  Mitch Trubisky?   Love it!!

Not only did the Bears make a terrible pick, they TRADED UP to make it!

Worst draft pick in the history of the NFL!
Go troll somewhere else.

Lets move on to round two... A trade down is a good bet as I think there are about 5x elite prospects left on most teams boards.  There is solid DB depth in this round and I hope we go that route. 

Ideally we drop 10-20 slots and get a 3rd back.  Grab Obi, a CB, WR or DE.
Wouldn't surprise me if they traded down twice. 

Of course they could have traded with someone else.  Chicago must have thought they were going to, obviously.  I just think the Bears made a knee jerk head scratching move when they need a lot more help on their team.

If Trubisky works out then the picks they gave up will not matter.  I hope he does for Bears' fans sake. 
A move like this isn't knee-jerk.  They have been considering this scenario for months. 

Giving up third round picks is too much for a franchise qb. :lmao: Sure.
I don't think anybody cares about the 3rd round picks that much. What is disappointing is that many of us don't think Trubisky is a franchise QB after 13 starts and 2 years where he couldn't beat out a non-NFL QB.

My issue was passing up a potential all-pro pass rusher, for a QB who might not be better than Mike Glennon, and giving up extra picks to boot. I hope I'm wrong, but man I'd have preferred Thomas and Kizer over Trubisky and..?

A move like this isn't knee-jerk.  They have been considering this scenario for months. 
Who took over your account?  So now this is a thoughtful and well run organization that is implementing a master plan for total football domination?  They signed Mike Glennon to a $45M contract with $18.5M guaranteed as a bridge QB for Mitchell Trubisky, a 13 game starter with mediocre numbers and tape in those games, and gave up multiple picks to move up ONE SPOT to get him!

I'd be furious if I were a fan of the Chicago Bears.

• Smile
Reactions: -X-
I don't think anybody cares about the 3rd round picks that much. What is disappointing is that many of us don't think Trubisky is a franchise QB after 13 starts and 2 years where he couldn't beat out a non-NFL QB.

My issue was passing up a potential all-pro pass rusher, for a QB who might not be better than Mike Glennon, and giving up extra picks to boot. I hope I'm wrong, but man I'd have preferred Thomas and Kizer over Trubisky and..?
Doesn't matter what me or you think about Trubisky. Have to trust Pace knows his stuff. Last year's draft says he does. 

Fans... Deal with Tru... Not the best trade to get him, but trust the process.  Obviously he was worth the trade for management. We traded back last season for this exact reason.  We still have a 2nd and 4th remaining.  Things can really only improve from here. 

"We aren't good at drafting after pick #2.  We're going to pass the rest of the weekend.  See you guys with the #1 overall next year."

So what's the perfect scenario for the Bears for 2017?  Glennon plays all year and Trubisky sits and watches?  I'd think no, because what will management do next? Let Glennon walk and start Trubisky? 

Or perhaps Glennon starts the season, and once the Bears are like 2-8, Mitch finishes off the year then the Trubisky era starts?  Glennon is gone after 1 year and some veteran QB is brought in to back up Trubisky?

I just don't see Triubisky as a franchise QB and the Bears are many pieces away from being competitive but that's okay, Viking fan here.

Who took over your account?  So now this is a thoughtful and well run organization that is implementing a master plan for total football domination?  They signed Mike Glennon to a $45M contract with $18.5M guaranteed as a bridge QB for Mitchell Trubisky, a 13 game starter with mediocre numbers and tape in those games, and gave up multiple picks to move up ONE SPOT to get him!

I'd be furious if I were a fan of the Chicago Bears.
Never said they were a well run organization. Said they didn't make the decision at the last second. Everyone knew Garrett was going first.  The Bears had to be thinking about this move we'll ahead of time. I want them to get a qb. Didn't care how they did it. We'll see what happens. 

We're hitched to this wagon... A QB can make a team, but a team can make a QB.  Lets move on to making the making the most of our 2nd round pick.  I like King at CB or even Lamp is he falls.  That kid is 100% a football player.

We're hitched to this wagon... A QB can make a team, but a team can make a QB.  Lets move on to making the making the most of our 2nd round pick.  I like King at CB or even Lamp is he falls.  That kid is 100% a football player.
I like both of those guys

I think the majority of fans are willing to give him a chance.  I feel that most people are happy to have a QB, they just don't like what they had to give up to get him.
It would be nice if the city of Chicago could actually get behind a qb for once. They never have. I actually feel bad for most QBs coming here. Fans and local media blow

It would be nice if the city of Chicago could actually get behind a qb for once. They never have. I actually feel bad for most QBs coming here. Fans and local media blow
I think Chicago fans will be behind Trubisky more than you think.  Remember, the back up QB is always the most popular player on the team.  It will be even more true this season.  If Glennon isn't great the fans will be calling for Trubisky.  If the Bear's waited until the second round or even traded back in the first to get their QB you wouldn't see as much pressure on getting the rookie on the field.

I think it is hilarious that they are trying to prove the Bears didn't give up much by showing the terrible draft picks the Bears have made in the third and fourth rounds in the past. 

In 2016 in the third, Austin Hooper and CJ Prosise were both taken after Bullard. In the fourth Dak Prescott was taken after both of the Bears picks.

In 2015 David Johnson, Duke Johnson and Ty Montgomery were all taken after Grasu. Jamison Crowder was taken one pick before Langford.

in 2014 Donte Moncrief, John Brown and Brian Stork were all take after Will Sutton. In the fourth round Martavis Bryant and James White were taken after Carey. 

And I am not as familiar with the defensive players. So the argument that the Bears have drafted poorly in the third and fourth rounds so they shouldn't worry about losing those draft picks is stupid.

Lot's of "what ifs".

But, what if Glennon is a better QB than Trubisky and Mitchell never gets to start? I'd rather have those picks for defensive players and depth. Two things we have also lacked for years. 

I think it is hilarious that they are trying to prove the Bears didn't give up much by showing the terrible draft picks the Bears have made in the third and fourth rounds in the past. 

In 2016 in the third, Austin Hooper and CJ Prosise were both taken after Bullard. In the fourth Dak Prescott was taken after both of the Bears picks.

In 2015 David Johnson, Duke Johnson and Ty Montgomery were all taken after Grasu. Jamison Crowder was taken one pick before Langford.

in 2014 Donte Moncrief, John Brown and Brian Stork were all take after Will Sutton. In the fourth round Martavis Bryant and James White were taken after Carey. 

And I am not as familiar with the defensive players. So the argument that the Bears have drafted poorly in the third and fourth rounds so they shouldn't worry about losing those draft picks is stupid.
I agree, I think that is the stupidest point that some people try and make in order to defend them giving up those picks.  If that's how we're going to think then why ever have 3rd round picks.  Might as well not have a 6th or 7th either since starters rarely come from those rounds as well.  Lets only use the 1st and 2nd round picks every year and see if they can build a team that way.  Bunch of goof balls.

I think Chicago fans will be behind Trubisky more than you think.  Remember, the back up QB is always the most popular player on the team.  It will be even more true this season.  If Glennon isn't great the fans will be calling for Trubisky.  If the Bear's waited until the second round or even traded back in the first to get their QB you wouldn't see as much pressure on getting the rookie on the field.
I really hope so. 

I think the majority of fans are willing to give him a chance.  I feel that most people are happy to have a QB, they just don't like what they had to give up to get him.
100% agree. But f___ it, lets see what we have.  Pace hitched his horse and an all or nothing roll is worth it right now.  Worst case we celebrate a starting QB in 2017

That's not the argument. The argument is it's worth this risk, due to the less likelihood of getting a perennial pro Bowler in the 3rd, to get a franchise qb.  That's why first rounders are worth more. 

I agree, I think that is the stupidest point that some people try and make in order to defend them giving up those picks.  If that's how we're going to think then why ever have 3rd round picks.  Might as well not have a 6th or 7th either since starters rarely come from those rounds as well.  Lets only use the 1st and 2nd round picks every year and see if they can build a team that way.  Bunch of goof balls.
This is not what the justification for giving up 3rd round picks for a franchise qb is.  What about the teams who give up multiple firsts for a QB? Does that mean 1st round picks are worthless because most of them wash out? No. That's not the point.  The Chiefs are a very well run organization that's made a lot of great picks over the years.  They just gave up a ton to get Mahomes.  Do you think they're dumb? Did they make a terrible choice?  Their good track record gives them the benefit of the doubt, thought.  The Bears don't get that benefit from most people. Doesn't mean it was a bad move. 

This is not what the justification for giving up 3rd round picks for a franchise qb is.  What about the teams who give up multiple firsts for a QB? Does that mean 1st round picks are worthless because most of them wash out? No. That's not the point.  The Chiefs are a very well run organization that's made a lot of great picks over the years.  They just gave up a ton to get Mahomes.  Do you think they're dumb? Did they make a terrible choice?  Their good track record gives them the benefit of the doubt, thought.  The Bears don't get that benefit from most people. Doesn't mean it was a bad move. 
I take it you haven't seen the people who were showing the Bear's past 3rd round picks in order to prove that they Bears really didn't give up much.  To me that's a poor argument.

Lot's of "what ifs".

But, what if Glennon is a better QB than Trubisky and Mitchell never gets to start? I'd rather have those picks for defensive players and depth. Two things we have also lacked for years. 
That's the other factor.  How much effort does Glennon give knowing he's only there for this year?  Do the players show him respect?  Locker room issues galore.  They'll have to start MT at some point.

The biggest difference is the Chiefs moved up 17 spots. The Bears moved one spot and took a guy that would have likely been available with no movement. Was it 100% that he would be there? No, but it was more probable that he would be there than it is he becomes a pro-bowler. I find it hard to believe that any scouting department would have had Trubiski so much higher than any other QB. If a team has Mitch #1, cool. If they have him #1 and a big gap to #2, they are likely incompetent.  

Physically, Trubisky is a Jimmy Garoppolo clone, without the experience in a championship pro system. If the Bears wanted a QB why not just flip their #1 for Jimmy? Not that I think that would be smart, but it would've probably been cheaper and they'd get a guy who has pro starts in a great system. I get the desire to find a franchise QB, but this move reeks of desperation. I hope they get lucky, but the odds aren't with them. Moves like this is why bad teams stay bad. How are the Bears going to develop Mitch? Dave Ragone going to coach him up? Good grief.

"We aren't good at drafting after pick #2.  We're going to pass the rest of the weekend.  See you guys with the #1 overall next year."
I really do not think the Bears are competing for the #1 pick next year.

Defense was good last year and will benefit from healthy returns and FA adds.  A CB and S in the draft will help, still deep pools to choose from...

Offense needs to be upgraded, especially at WR.   Glennon will be respectable, even if only 1 year.   I posted earlier that an easy add is Michael Floyd to help the WR's.  Grab an OT and then hope for the best at TE.

SF is going to be bad in a tough division (SEA and AZ).   Cleveland and Jaz will always find ways to screw the pooch as well...

No expert here, but just my $.02

The biggest difference is the Chiefs moved up 17 spots. The Bears moved one spot and took a guy that would have likely been available with no movement. Was it 100% that he would be there? No, but it was more probable that he would be there than it is he becomes a pro-bowler. I find it hard to believe that any scouting department would have had Trubiski so much higher than any other QB. If a team has Mitch #1, cool. If they have him #1 and a big gap to #2, they are likely incompetent.  
What?!? Chiefs moving up a long way giving up a ####load was OK but Bears giving up a couple thirds because they only moved up one spot to get the top qb in the draft wasn't?  And how do you know any team is incompetent because of how they have QBs rated? 

For a guy who's been claiming we can't know everything that's going on behind the scenes, you're pretty sure of yourself on this behind the scenes scenario.
Does that not sound like common sense to you? Everyone knew the consensus #1 pick. The Bears traded up immediately to the #2 pick.  You can't possibly think they hadn't considered that until right after Garrett was picked. 

Physically, Trubisky is a Jimmy Garoppolo clone, without the experience in a championship pro system. If the Bears wanted a QB why not just flip their #1 for Jimmy? Not that I think that would be smart, but it would've probably been cheaper and they'd get a guy who has pro starts in a great system. I get the desire to find a franchise QB, but this move reeks of desperation. I hope they get lucky, but the odds aren't with them. Moves like this is why bad teams stay bad. How are the Bears going to develop Mitch? Dave Ragone going to coach him up? Good grief.
Their terrible coaching staff doesn't mean they shouldn't ever draft a qb.  But that's definitely a big concern. They need a new coach definitely. 

100% agree. But f___ it, lets see what we have.  Pace hitched his horse and an all or nothing roll is worth it right now.  Worst case we celebrate a starting QB in 2017
I like the fact that Pace made a signature move. He is a young, respected GM with a historic franchise who could have done the safe thing and sat tight for the BPA (which in his opinion still could have been Trubisky) or moved down to accumulate pics and maybe ended up with Watson. But he gambled and hitched his cart to this horse. I hope he's right. And if he is, he's going to be seen as a genius. But I just don't think he is.

I really do not think the Bears are competing for the #1 pick next year.

Defense was good last year and will benefit from healthy returns and FA adds.  A CB and S in the draft will help, still deep pools to choose from...

Offense needs to be upgraded, especially at WR.   Glennon will be respectable, even if only 1 year.   I posted earlier that an easy add is Michael Floyd to help the WR's.  Grab an OT and then hope for the best at TE.

SF is going to be bad in a tough division (SEA and AZ).   Cleveland and Jaz will always find ways to screw the pooch as well...

No expert here, but just my $.02
They are one of the worst 5 teams in the NFL as we stand here today. 

Users who are viewing this thread