Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

The Trump Years- Every day something more shocking than the last!

5 hours ago, Sabertooth said:

I don't know, it got a lot of press time.  Maybe the Dems need to pay attention to what is winning elections nowadays.  

The fact that transgender bathrooms is an issue that "gets a lot of press time" and "wins elections" is embarrassing.  So no, the Dems should not pay attention to it the way Republicans do.  It does not deserve equal air time with the real issues facing our country.  People need to put their Bibles and Qurans down and join the rest of us in the 21st century.

• Like 3
  • Replies 141.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SaintsInDome2006

• Henry Ford

• packersfan

• timschochet

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I won't know for a while, but my final chemo treatment was a week and a half ago, the side effects are subsiding, and I feel better than I have in a long time. Thanks for asking.

So that whole, "I bet you wimps would never challenge big, bad Donald physically" stuff got me thinking last night. I sincerely believe that I could defeat an entire gauntlet of all living Presid

You kidding?  For those on the right, the past 8 years the supporters have been focused almost totally on how much the democrats were the enemy.  It was on fox news, on talk radio, on the breitbart an

18 minutes ago, sho nuff said:

Like squis or not...Max...he pretty much got you there.

Your response showed more outrage than just about everything you claim is outrage and hysteria.

He "got" me?  Are we playing a game?  In that case, both of you lose.

I wouldn't expect you to know the difference between normal and outrage/hysteria.  You guys simply don't know anymore since EVERYTHING is an outrage today that makes you go hysterical.

"SEE YOU IN COURT" has now become "well hold on there, not so fast, can't we just put this case off awhile, we're not sure what to do yet". http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/government-lawyers-call-delay-trump-immigration-order-case/story

Government lawyers are asking for a delay in the Washington federal court case involving Donald Trump's controversial immigration order while an appeals court mulls whether to reconsider potentially reinstating the ban, according to new federal court filings.

Lawyers for the states of Washington and Minnesota, meanwhile, argue in new court documents that their case against the Trump administration should proceed quickly and that the nationwide temporary restraining order against Trump's executive action should be considered indefinite.

“Given the gravity of the States’ constitutional allegations, Defendants’ stated national security concerns, and the public interests at stake, the States respectfully submit that discovery should proceed without delay,” the states’ filing says.

• Like 2
24 minutes ago, IvanKaramazov said:

Yeah, this is seriously crazy.  It is trivially easy to demonstrate that the travel ban is based on anti-Muslim bigotry, without having to go back to what some guy said to somebody in middle school. 

It was actually at the time entering high school from someone he knew in middle school, but of course you would mischaracterize that, as you always do. And those attitudes persisted in high school. http://www.univision.com/univision-news/politics/how-white-house-advisor-stephen-miller-went-from-pestering-hispanic-students-to-designing-trumps-immigration-policy

In liberal Santa Monica, students in the city's largest high school tended to hold progressive ideas, to be environmentally conscious and open minded.

But Miller went the other way. He quickly stood out as a contentious and provocative student whose conservative and ultra-nationalist politics put him continuously at odds with teachers, administrators and students.

Univision Noticias spoke with several classmates who said Miller had few friends, none of them non-white. They said he used to make fun of the children of Latino and Asian immigrants who did not speak English well.

Early on, Miller began to write opinion columns in conservative blogs, the local press and the high school's own newspaper, The Samohi. He also contributed at times to the national radio show of Larry Elder, a conservative African American, and once invited him to speak at the school.

Displaying his hostility toward minorities, Miller complained to school administrators about announcements in Spanish and festivals that celebrated diversity.

In his third year at the school, the 16-year-old Miller wrote a letter to The Lookout, a local publication, about his negative impression of Hispanic students and the use of Spanish in the United States. [...]

Natalie Flores, another student who witnessed Miller's evolution from middle to high school, said he displayed “an intense hatred toward people of color, especially toward Latinos.” She and other students interviewed for this report recalled that Miller became angry whenever he heard students speaking Spanish in the hallway

“I think his big problem was the Latinos. He thought they lived off welfare,” said Flores, now enrolled at the Teachers College at Columbia University.

And if you want to discount that fine, but then there were his activities and writings on the Duke University School Newspaper, which you probably also dismiss under the same reasoning. But it doesn't appear he changed much, if at all

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stephen_Miller_(aide

While attending Duke University, Miller accused the poet Maya Angelou of "racial paranoia" and described student organization Chicano Student Movement of Aztlán (MEChA) as a "radical national Hispanic group that believes in racial superiority."[6]

Once again this is not dispositive of the person he is today, but this is information has some relevance as to the character of a person who is a close advisor to the president and helped draft the travel ban.

Edited by squistion
6 minutes ago, squistion said:

And if you want to discount that fine, but then there were his activities and writings on the Duke University School Newspaper, which you probably also dismiss under the same reasoning. But it doesn't appear he changed much, if at all.

Yes, I would dismiss that under the same reasoning.  If he hasn't changed much, then it should be easy to find things to criticize about the guy right now, not the guy from 10+ years ago.  

https://www.yahoo.com/news/trump-moves-spark-iraqi-anger-calls-against-future-071015858.html

Now the Iraqi leader is coming under pressure. Lawmakers are demanding he reduce cooperation with Washington in the future, limit or prevent American troops from staying in the country after the defeat of IS, and reciprocate for any travel ban on Iraqis. Members of powerful Shiite militias have outright warned of retaliation against Americans if the U.S. carries out any military action against Iran, their patron.

Basically, Trump ran a campaign based on open hostility toward Muslims.  He explicitly called for a ban on them entering the country.  One of his first acts in office was to impose such a ban for seven majority-Muslim countries.  One of his advisors actually stated on television that the aim of this was to ban Muslims in a way that might pass legal scrutiny.  And you dip#### Sherlock Holmes wannabe's are digging back into some guy's middle-school-to-high-school transition to piece together the clues.    

• Like 6
2 minutes ago, IvanKaramazov said:

Basically, Trump ran a campaign based on open hostility toward Muslims.  He explicitly called for a ban on them entering the country.  One of his first acts in office was to impose such a ban for seven majority-Muslim countries.  One of his advisors actually stated on television that the aim of this was to ban Muslims in a way that might pass legal scrutiny.  And you dip#### Sherlock Holmes wannabe's are digging back into some guy's middle-school-to-high-school transition to piece together the clues.    

This looks like a case for Encyclopedia Brown People!

• Like 2
1 hour ago, RBM said:

GTFO. Nobody would care if it wasn't a Trump thing. Just another worthless thing to cry about. 

Wrong. If it were a Clinton or Obama thing lots of people would care about it, with you being one of them.

• Like 4
3 minutes ago, IvanKaramazov said:

:lol:

At least the rednecks that come right out and say it are being honest.

Trump is a little man, slimy, creepy, and just pathetic in general. Spent a week in DC for work and had time to check out a lot of sites. Just reminders everywhere of the great people that built this country.

To have this guy elected by half the nation that voted is just a ####### embarrasment that still shocks me.

• Like 6
5 hours ago, jon_mx said:

I am not seeing why one is worse than the other.  At least in Trump's case he is selling something that is actually his.  You are wearing rather rose-color glasses when it comes with the massive wealth the Clintons accumulated over the years for providing no tangible product.   Neither of these two had the ethics to be voted in. 

Wait. I thought he divested?

Nothing to see here, folks. Move along.

• Like 1

Miller has long been an advocate of framing the fight against terrorism in religious terms. In 2007, while an undergraduate at Duke University, he started the Terrorism Awareness Project, an effort to make "students aware of the Islamic jihad and the terrorist threat, and to mobilize support for the defense of America and the civilization of the West." The group promoted "Islamo-Fascism Awareness Week" on college campuses and took out ads in college newspapers titled, "What Americans Need to Know About Jihad." After many papers declined to run the ads, Miller appeared on Fox & Friends to discuss the controversy, saying, "How are we going to win a war on terror if we can't even talk about the enemy?"

As a member of the Duke Conservative Union, Miller worked closely with Richard Spencer, a Ph.D. student who would later coin the term "alt-right" and become a leading white nationalist. Spencer told me that at Duke, Miller helped him with fundraising and promotion for an on-campus debate on immigration policy that Spencer organized in 2007, featuring influential white nationalist Peter Brimelow. Miller vehemently denied to me that he had any connection to Spencer or his ideas, but another former member of the Duke Conservative Union confirmed to me that Miller and Spencer worked together on the Brimelow event. And at DCU meetings, according to another past member of the group, Miller denounced multiculturalism and expressed concerns that immigrants from non-European countries were not assimilating.

http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2017/01/stephen-bannon-miller-trump-refugee-ban-islamophobia-white-nationalist

10 minutes ago, zoonation said:

Some sweet alleged Trudeau quotes on what a baffoon Trump is on RoguePOTUS.  I choose to believe it is all true!

Unlikely to be real, but:

Rogue POTUS Staff ‏@RoguePOTUSStaff  40m40 minutes ago

"This guy is an idiot. He has no idea what he's doing." Overheard by Trudeau to Freeland.

Rogue POTUS Staff ‏@RoguePOTUSStaff  34m34 minutes ago

Trudeau overheard expressing offense to his cabinet members @ POTUS handshake games. Finds is "disrespectful and tasteless."

Rogue POTUS Staff ‏@RoguePOTUSStaff  30m30 minutes ago

PM Tru likens POTUS to "that one kid who never got beaten up only because everyone else thought he was too pathetic to be worth it. (cont)

"...And now he thinks it's because they all were scared of him. But the whole time they were just laughing at him."

20 minutes ago, timschochet said:

Miller attended my wife'a high school, Santa Monica. She went a few years before though. 

Just stayed in the Le Meridian across the street from it last week. One of my best friends went there as well.

4 minutes ago, Sinn Fein said:

Unlikely to be real, but:

Rogue POTUS Staff ‏@RoguePOTUSStaff  40m40 minutes ago

"This guy is an idiot. He has no idea what he's doing." Overheard by Trudeau to Freeland.

Rogue POTUS Staff ‏@RoguePOTUSStaff  34m34 minutes ago

Trudeau overheard expressing offense to his cabinet members @ POTUS handshake games. Finds is "disrespectful and tasteless."

Rogue POTUS Staff ‏@RoguePOTUSStaff  30m30 minutes ago

PM Tru likens POTUS to "that one kid who never got beaten up only because everyone else thought he was too pathetic to be worth it. (cont)

"...And now he thinks it's because they all were scared of him. But the whole time they were just laughing at him."

Thanks Rogue POTUS Staff.....Because of your leaks...we'll now be building a wall on the North border.

• Like 2
34 minutes ago, IvanKaramazov said:

It was the time in his high school, not the transition, but you always have to mischaracterize any argument against you, thinking it gives you the win.

And if you don't count that, you, of anyone, should at least consider his college years, as most people don't think one receive a "get out of jail free" card for that (so to speak) for actions during that time.

Edited by squistion
19 minutes ago, fatness said:

Oh come on.  I mean high school?  College?  

That's like 30 years ago now.  And he's renounced all those statements.  Plus there's nothing in his recent good acts that suggest he's anything other than a fine, upstanding human being.

It's not like there's a consistent racist or fascist thread to his thoughts going back thru the last 15 years or anything.

2 hours ago, fatness said:
5 hours ago, Ned said:
5 hours ago, jonessed said:

The same criticisms were levied on Obama.  I can't blame them for going where they choose. Security expense is part of the package.

I honestly have no idea, so bear with me.... Obama was being criticized for profiting from it?

I don't think this got answered.

:shrug: 

4 minutes ago, Dinsy Ejotuz said:

Oh come on.  I mean high school?  College?  

That's like 30 years ago now.  And he's renounced all those statements.  Plus there's nothing in his recent good acts that suggest he's anything other than a fine, upstanding human being.

It's not like there's a consistent racist or fascist thread to his thoughts going back thru the last 15 years or anything.

I'm pretty sure you're kidding, but if not, it was 2007. He's only 31.

1 hour ago, shader said:

http://www.politico.com/story/2017/02/trump-mar-lago-taxpayers-234562

This politico story takes an educated guess at the amount of money that a weekend trip to Mar-a-Lago costs.  Interestingly, an article in the NYT https://www.nytimes.com/2017/02/10/opinion/footing-the-bill-for-trumps.html treats that Politico 3M figure as gospel.

Has anyone found verified numbers?  It would be interesting to see how Trump owning the facility might change the price-tag. 

Last weekend was probably a bit more - as the US has to foot Abe's bill...because it would be an illegal gift if the Japanese government paid for the stay at Trump's resort.  It is possible that Trump "comped" Abe's visit - but that would not be in keeping with Trump's personality...

6 minutes ago, fatness said:

I'm pretty sure you're kidding, but if not, it was 2007. He's only 31.

That is why people are bringing this stuff up about Miller. Yes, if you are 50 years ago college is about 30 years behind you. At age 31, it is 8-13 and is more relevant. High school is not exactly the distant past either for a 31 year old.

Edited by squistion
1 hour ago, fatness said:

"SEE YOU IN COURT" has now become "well hold on there, not so fast, can't we just put this case off awhile, we're not sure what to do yet". http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/government-lawyers-call-delay-trump-immigration-order-case/story

I guess we can put to rest the thought of Trump having some sort of intel where this just needed badly to be done?

• Like 1

Most people have their most open mind while attending college.  They are away from home, interacting with people from all across the world, drinking all sorts of domestic beers and learning from professors who probably have more worldly views than any teacher they have had before.  

So this was him at his most open mindedness , let that sink in 

Edited by Righetti
  • Like 4
2 hours ago, shader said:

http://www.politico.com/story/2017/02/trump-mar-lago-taxpayers-234562

This politico story takes an educated guess at the amount of money that a weekend trip to Mar-a-Lago costs.  Interestingly, an article in the NYT https://www.nytimes.com/2017/02/10/opinion/footing-the-bill-for-trumps.html treats that Politico 3M figure as gospel.

Has anyone found verified numbers?  It would be interesting to see how Trump owning the facility might change the price-tag. 

The Politico story (widely quoted) is based on a 2013 GAO report on an identical trip by Obama to Palm Beach.

Many of the 126 rooms of Mar-A-Lago likely are being used by members and high level officials. Not sure how big the family compound is but knowing DJT it's not modest. But it's a moot point - Donald  isn't providing rooms gratis, and room & board is a tiny fraction of the $3.6M.

Logistics of Presidential travel:

- Presidential entourages range from 300-900 depending on the nature & length of the trip

- Air Force One costs $228K per hour, two are being used.

- Plus 1-3 airliners to carry the entourage.

- Plus however many C-17 transports to carry the 45 car Presidential motorcade.

- Palm Beach PD racks up $275K in overtime, fully reimburseable.

Found all that in a few seconds. Bet there are tons of other costs (communications gear, support vehicle, Air Force/Navy aerial support) we don't know about. This stuff doesn't get published in detail for obvious reasons so looking at old GAO reports & reimbursements is the only way to put it together, and probably still doesn't capture everything.

Inside our borders, the nation of E Pluribus Unum threatens to be fractured across ethnic lines by racial animus and divisive multiculturalism

It's been a while since I took Latin.  What does that mean again?

While both his and Abe's inner circles were frantically looking for cell phones to illuminate the super secret intel about the latest North Korean provocation, our Dear leader sat back and took it all in, like a mentally challenged six year old.   I get that not every president handles a crisis quite the same, Obama liked to listen, Reagan went to his advisors, Herbert drew on his experience from the CIA, jr. liked to color and Bubba told the girl under the table to go faster, so it's not surprising that Trump has his own way.   Trump takes the opportunity to marvel at the curtains and carpeting and cutlery at Mar-a-Lago and thinks about the impromptu speech to a newlywed couple in the main ballroom 100 feet away.   
A campaign which was punctuated with "lock her up" chants because of Hillary's questionable use of classified materials, now put their own classified information spread on the table right over the lobster bisque and the peppers with anchovies, so they could read it clearly.   Didn't seem to matter that waiters were refilling water glasses and club members were taking photos, because Trump is Trump and the rules only apply to other people.  

Great job America 

• Like 6
19 minutes ago, Righetti said:

Most people have their most open mind while attending college.  They are away from home, interacting with people from all across the world, drinking all sorts of domestic beers and learning from professors who probably have more worldly views than any teacher they have had before.  

Below is from the 2006 Stephen Miller article that Ivan K says we should dismiss because he was just a immature child at Duke University, but this was only 11 years ago and sounds similar to me to the "white pride" stuff we heard on this forum from SIDA:

http://www.dukechronicle.com/article/2006/11/america-forgotten-campus-culture

America without her culture is like a body without a soul-yet many of today's youth see America as nothing but a meeting point for the cultures of other nations.

How can America survive if many don't acknowledge, let alone embrace, the very culture that gives it life? We must come to the defense of our heritage. And for us, that fight begins right here, on our campus.

It's easy to understand how the student I spoke with arrived at her deeply misguided conclusion. Duke, in lockstep with the modern American university, worships at the altar of multiculturalism. As we obsess over, adulate and extol the non-American cultures we ignore the culture we all hold in common.

Edited by squistion
5 hours ago, Matthias said:

No shtick you should do your homework. We shouldn't require an ID to vote because it disenfranchises hundreds of thousands of voters while purporting to solve fake votes by dozens.

If he doesn't care about poor people, then why should he care about disenfranchising people?  That doesn't matter.  It's clear who has perspective on this issue and who doesn't.

5 hours ago, Matthias said:

After being obnoxious you probably should do another long post about civility.

Then he should report people that hurt his feelings.

• Like 1
20 minutes ago, Righetti said:

Most people are at their most extreme political position as well.  And do really stupid things. 

• Like 2
4 hours ago, Homer J Simpson said:

Would you commit a felony to vote two or three times for the candidate you want to win? 

No?  Because it would be completely f###ing stupid and pointless to do so?

FYI, that's the same conclusion that everyone else came up with too, junior.

Meh a couple extra felonies every 4 years doesn't even move my needle. 

• Like 2
  • Clayton Gray changed the title to The Trump Years- Trump Jr. might have accidentally treasoned. Maybe.
  • Joe Bryant locked this topic