What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2021 New York football Giants (5 Viewers)

Maybe he's an  up-and-comer...

We traded vanilla bean for French vanilla.....our guy got ran out of his last job, and has spent the last year plotting and scheming

Like @Sweet Love said none of us know much about this guy to have an informed opinion of him.

From the outside looking in this certainly looks like a desperation move made by a dysfunctional franchise.

That being said he’s the coach now and as a Giants fan (not sure why am still a fan) I hope he can overcome the dysfunction and turn things around.

I’m coming around to the hire. He’s learned directly under the two greatest coaches or the era. Not sure who everyone wanted or thought was going to walk through the door and save the day? Hopefully they give him couple years. Sounds like There is a Garrett connection and this could be good hire as well for OC. 

I’m coming around to the hire. He’s learned directly under the two greatest coaches or the era. Not sure who everyone wanted or thought was going to walk through the door and save the day? Hopefully they give him couple years. Sounds like There is a Garrett connection and this could be good hire as well for OC. 
You poor poor thing

Like @Sweet Love said none of us know much about this guy to have an informed opinion of him.

From the outside looking in this certainly looks like a desperation move made by a dysfunctional franchise.

That being said he’s the coach now and as a Giants fan (not sure why am still a fan) I hope he can overcome the dysfunction and turn things around.
I can't call it a desperation move because all signs point to them hiring Judge over Rhule (a.k.a they probably were ready to cancel Rhule's interview sometime Monday). It's certainly an out-of-the-box move, at the very least he seems to be intense and a leader of men. Unfortunately this means Gettleman still retains all his power since McCarthy and Rhule (the coaches I wanted) would've certainly asked for a lot of pull. The again...

Adam Schefter‏Verified account @AdamSchefter

Panthers are giving former Baylor HC Matt Rhule a seven-year - seven year - deal worth $60 million that with incentives could be worth up to $70 million, per league sources.

One other cost for Carolina hiring Matt Rhule: Panthers paid Baylor a $6 million buyout to hire their new head coach, per league sources.
Look, I get he's doing a teardown and rebuild, but 7/60+another 6 million? YIKES...

Last edited by a moderator:
Ian Rapoport‏Verified account @RapSheet

One note on the #Giants: Matt Rhule called them before signing his 6-year deal with the #Panthers and gave them the opportunity to match and lure him to get on the plane. They declined and hired Joe Judge instead.
https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/1214581904315424768

So yeah, Giants weren't matching that money for a first year before the interview. I already speculated they probably didn't want to give their HC a lot of power. I'm very interested to see what Judge's contract is.

9 potential assistant coach candidates

It's a slideshow, so I will just list them out:

OC:  Jason Garrett, Jay Gruden, Norv Turner, Joe Brady, 

OL coach: Bill Callahan   (anyone, I mean anyone is an improvement over Hal Hunter)

DC: Wade Phillips, Rod Marinelli, Kris Richard

Special Teams: Thomas McGaughey (would be retaining him).

OL coach: Bill Callahan   (anyone, I mean anyone is an improvement over Hal Hunter)

I saw another site suggest that Jim Caldwell should be in the mix for OC as well

I would like to give Judge time to prove himself.  He seems like he has potential.  My concern, besides the huge concern with retaining Gettleman, is how many of Belichick's assistants went on to become successful head coaches?

According to ESPN's Jordan Raanan, Giants coach Joe Judge is expected to reach out to ex-Browns coach Freddie Kitchens about a position on his staff.

It's the first interest Kitchens has received since his firing last month. Kitchens fared disastrously in his one season atop the Browns' chain of command, though he's had success as both a position coach and coordinator and worked with Judge at Mississippi State years earlier. A 38-year-old making the leap from specials teams coordinator to head coach, Judge would be wise to surround himself with an experienced staff in East Rutherford.
I have no issues with this, as an offensive coordinator he was pretty good. As we saw with Pat Shurmur, sometimes you can't be a head coach and call plays at the same time. If he tabs Kitchens I can't wait for the Baker Mayfield jabs.

Joe Judge: No Nonsense!   (6 min vid of his 1st presser)

Joe Judge is a no-nonsense kind of guy.

The Giants introduced their new head coach Thursday afternoon, and the one thing that’s clear is he’s not messing around.

“We’ll punch you in the nose for 60 minutes,” Judge said.

The 38-year-old says his team will be “blue collar, hard work, in-your-face. We’re not gonna back down from anybody.”

Judge says he has an old-school philosophy, and he wants a physical team that’s going to represent the region.

“The only culture we’re gonna have in that building is a winning culture,” Judge said.

The Patriots' offense basically flamed out because their WR corps couldn't make the appropriate reads....

Gettleman:  Let's hire the WR coach as our head coach!!!  Everyone will think that's the dumbest move ever, and when it turns out to only look medium dumb I will look like a genius!!!

Classic Gettleman

kittenmittens said:
The Patriots' offense basically flamed out because their WR corps couldn't make the appropriate reads....

Gettleman:  Let's hire the WR coach as our head coach!!!  Everyone will think that's the dumbest move ever, and when it turns out to only look medium dumb I will look like a genius!!!

Classic Gettleman
Speaking of Classic Gettleman

Looks like the Giants have hired (or will hire) Patrick Graham as the DC. Graham was most recently the DC in Miami in 2019. He has a history with Judge in NE and some history with the NYG as well.

Graham's wiki page

Ole Miss Freddie Roach new Giants DL coach:

2017-Pres.Ole MissDefensive Line

2015-16AlabamaDirector of Player Development

2013-14South AlabamaLinebackers / Defensive Ends

2012Murray StateDefensive Line

2011East Mississippi C.C.Defensive Line / Strength and Conditioning

2008-10AlabamaStrength and Conditioning

Mike Garafolo
@MikeGarafolo
·
2m
More #Giants assistants coming together: QB coach is expected to be Jerry Schuplinski, sources said. Was assistant QB coach for the #Dolphins, who will let him reunite with Joe Judge. Schuplinski was with the #Patriots 2013-18.

Picking up Saban and Belicheck guys.

ESPN’s Jordan Raanan reports Giants interviewed Mike Shula for their offensive-coordinating vacancy.

It’s the first we’ve heard from Shula all offseason after he spent the past two years under Pat Shurmur in the same role. Shula previously worked with GM Dave Gettleman in Carolina, so it’s no surprise coach Joe Judge and staff are considering keeping him around. It would at the very least shore up the Giants’ new coaching staff as the team recently hired ex-Dolphins DC Patrick Graham for their defensive-coordinating role.
That better be a courtesy interview. His work doesn't really inspire confidence there.

Definitely explains why Miami let him go.

I'm hoping the Giants can get Bill Callahan as OL coach.  
@RVacchianoSNY: A name I've heared increasingly mentioned in connection with the Giants: Bill Callahan.

He worked under Garrett in Dallas from 2012-14 as OC and OL coach. Hiring Garrett as OC and Callahan as OL coach would be quite a coup for first-year coach Joe Judge, if it's possible.

Giants hired ex-Cowboys coach Jason Garrett as offensive coordinator.

One of the league's longest-tenured head coaches before his contract was not renewed by the Cowboys, 53-year-old Garrett will be working for his first new organization since 2007. "The Clapper" entered the coaching ranks as Nick Saban's WRs coach in Miami in 2005-06. Despite being an "offensive-minded" head coach, Garrett has not actually called plays since 2012. Bill Callahan, Scott Linehan and Kellen Moore had those honors Garrett's final seven years in Dallas. Garrett will not have that luxury in New York, where ex-special teams coordinator Joe Judge needs a bonafide coordinator. Garrett has no shortage of interesting young players at his disposal as he transitions back into calling the offensive shots, as Daniel Jones, Saquon Barkley, Evan Engram and Darius Slayton are all ready and waiting.
Ehhhh... I don't hate the move per se, but I don't exactly love it either. Those who remember those days know he once was an up-and-coming offensive coordinator, and like I said it's more the other facets of him being a HC ended his tenure in Dallas. However, he hasn't called plays in a long time and I'm not sure if he's analytically driven at all.

@RVacchianoSNY: A name I've heared increasingly mentioned in connection with the Giants: Bill Callahan.

He worked under Garrett in Dallas from 2012-14 as OC and OL coach. Hiring Garrett as OC and Callahan as OL coach would be quite a coup for first-year coach Joe Judge, if it's possible.
Bill Callahan is one of the very best offensive line coaches ever. 

Bill Callahan is one of the very best offensive line coaches ever. 
I would love if this happened.  But would be happy with anyone over the current guy (Hal Hunter).    I'm just hoping Tom Quinn didn't give Hal the incriminating Mara photos he must have had that kept him the Giants special teams coach for 10 years.     Tell me, has anyone ever said....damn that NYG special teams are game changers?  (rhetorical).

https://twitter.com/mortreport/status/1218967120752652288

Chris Mortensen‏Verified account @mortreport

With no on-field coaching spot on Mike McCarthy's @dallascowboys staff, sources say Jason Witten hasn't ruled out playing in '20, and not to rule out reunion w new @Giants OC Jason Garrett. Of Witten's 16 games, his most productive game was vs. Giants.
Mort... you're drunk. STAPH IT. Giants have Engram, Kaden Smith (who flashed as a player coming from SF), and Rhett Ellison as a blocking TE. No room for Witten.

Dan Graziano
@DanGrazianoESPN

Source says Giants will interview Dave DeGuglielmo for their OL coach job. Was on Patriots staff with Joe Judge 2014-15.

Jordan Raanan
@JordanRaanan

DeGuglielmo spent time with the Giants from 2004-08. Return could be on the horizon. Also likely signals Bill Callahan is headed elsewhere.

Dan Graziano
@DanGrazianoESPN

Source says Giants will interview Dave DeGuglielmo for their OL coach job. Was on Patriots staff with Joe Judge 2014-15.

Jordan Raanan
@JordanRaanan

DeGuglielmo spent time with the Giants from 2004-08. Return could be on the horizon. Also likely signals Bill Callahan is headed elsewhere.
Looks like Callahan is headed to Cleveland 

Former Browns coach Freddie Kitchens is expected to be hired by the Giants.

It's unclear what his defined role will be, but it will presumably be as a positional coach under OC Jason Garrett. Kitchens and coach Joe Judge have worked together previously at Mississippi State and Kitchens' experience as an NFL head coach is likely viewed as a big plus for Judge, who is making a big leap into head coaching. Kitchens hasn't been considered for notable jobs since his Cleveland firing, so it's likely that the two parties come to an agreement soon. Judge, Garrett, and Kitchens all being on the same coaching staff is a treat for us all.
LOL Giants have two of the best "Terrible As A Head Coach But Fine As A Coordinator" coordinators in the league.

The Giants also are hiring Jody Wright, Bruce Feldman of Fox Sports reports.

Wright spent last season with Kitchens in Cleveland.

Wright worked as the offensive line and assistant head coach at the University of Alabama at Birmingham in 2018. He spent much of his coaching career at the University of Alabama, serving as director of player personnel from 2015-17 and as graduate assistant/offensive analyst from 2010-12.

Judge was with the Crimson Tide from 2009-11.
Current Giants' Assistant Coaches:

Offensive coordinator — Jason Garrett
Defensive coordinator/assistant head coach — Patrick Graham
Special teams coordinator — Thomas McGaughey
Offensive line
Running backs — Burton Burns [reported]
Tight ends
Wide receivers — Tyke Tolbert [reported]
Quarterbacks — Jerry Schuplinski [reported]
Defensive line
Linebackers
Defensive backs — Jerome Henderson [reported]
Special teams assistant — Tom Quinn
Defensive assistant [role not yet known] — Bret Bielema [reported]
Offensive assistant [role not yet known] — Jody Wright [reported]

Offensive line
Tight ends
Defensive line
Linebackers
Defensive backs — Jerome Henderson [reported]
Special teams assistant — Tom Quinn
Defensive assistant [role not yet known] — Bret Bielema [reported]
Offensive assistant [role not yet known] — Jody Wright [reported]
Too much Cleveland and Miami trash ... I don't like that  

Fox Sports' Bruce Feldman reports the Giants are expected to hire ex-Browns coach Freddie Kitchens as their new TE coach.

This hire has been expected for roughly a week, but the specifics of the move were unclear. Kitchens will work alongside OC Jason Garrett under head coach Joe Judge, who worked with the former Browns head coach at Mississippi State. Evan Engram is certainly talented enough to take another step forward in 2020, although this is a crowded passing game with plenty of uncertainty entering next season.
Odd... TE coach? I did hear on other forums he did a lot of work with Njoku, some with RSJ. Huhn...

Updated List

Offensive line — Marc Colombo [reported, not official]
Tight ends — Freddie Kitchens [reported]
Defensive line
Linebackers