What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Joe Mixon, HOU (1 Viewer)

If you want to cut the sample size in half--sure.  He was the most effective back last week and the least effective back the week before.  If I'm a Bengals fan, I want Mixon with the ball in his hands; certainly ahead of Hill--I get it.  I just think if we're going to talk about how Hill is a plodding bum, it's fair to point out that Mixon has yet to distance himself from--and is actually getting outgained per carry by--said bum.
It's fair to point that out. It's also fair to point out that he's played exactly two games in the NFL, which is a meaningless sample size. His carries and YPC are both trending upwards after the first game and his head coach has said, "he’s way better than I expected" and "he's going to have a fine pro career."

A bit early to play the "sky is falling" game.

Dynasty owners have nothing to worry about yet. Redraft owners might be getting a bit antsy, but isn't this kind of how we all thought it would play out? Some pity touches for Hill/Bernard early in the season while they ease the rookie in, then he has a big game and never looks back? That script is still possible. It just might take more than 2 games.

It's fair to point that out. It's also fair to point out that he's played exactly two games in the NFL, which is a meaningless sample size. His carries and YPC are both trending upwards after the first game and his head coach has said, "he’s way better than I expected" and "he's going to have a fine pro career."

A bit early to play the "sky is falling" game.

Dynasty owners have nothing to worry about yet. Redraft owners might be getting a bit antsy, but isn't this kind of how we all thought it would play out? Some pity touches for Hill/Bernard early in the season while they ease the rookie in, then he has a big game and never looks back? That script is still possible. It just might take more than 2 games.
I'm buying in dynasty.  I value him just about as much as I did heading into week 1.   In redraft, I have no interest, personally.  I'd take a James White over him pretty easily.  

Anyone catch the game? Thoughts on Mixon's potential going forward, is he the guy™?
Mixon played well. Like in week 1 his play was better than his numbers because he is getting contacted or in some cases completely blown up in the backfield on probably 20 or 25% of his carries.

In the passing game Mixon looks really smooth and comfortable. I didn't see him line up out wide but his play in the screen game was outstanding. No matter how bad the o-line plays Mixon should be able to gain yards here. Note that Mixon's first touch was credited as a 20 yard run but really it was a swing pass type play so his "effective" stat line was more like 60 yards receiving, 40 yards rushing. 

Mixon's running between the tackles continues to show promise but it's still a work in progress. He sometimes shows an ultra patient running style in the LeVeon Bell mode where he completely pauses behind the line of scrimmage surveying the defense. There were some carries where he made something out of nothing with this style, jump cutting and finding late developing holes but there were definitely others where putting his nose down and grinding would have led to larger gains. However when it was late 4th quarter and time to preserve a lead the CIN coaching staff trusted Mixon with every carry and he looked great grinding out tough yards and also showing one pretty awesome cutback. Then just when it seemed Mixon was doing his best work he slipped on a critical 3rd and 1 play which caused the Bengals to have to settle for a FG.

What I see when I watch Mixon is a player on the verge of breaking out. He has the speed to bust big plays, elusiveness in a short area or the open field, power to carry tacklers on his back and finish runs, and elite ability as a receiver. I think he can be scary good and I'd be very surprised if his coaches didn't feel the same way. His snap count and touches continue to trend up and there's no reason why this performance should derail that momentum

Does anyone else think that this might be the week that Mixon has his coming out party? Under the new offensive coordinator, Nixon had 21 touches this past week. That equals what he had combined in the first two weeks. That's a good indication of where this OC is going with this backfield. 

I can see that continuing Sunday and if the Bengals are in control of this game, we could witness the official takeover of Joe Mixon of the Cincinnati backfield.

Last edited by a moderator:
Anyone catch the game? Thoughts on Mixon's potential going forward, is he the guy™?
Athletic player, but poor runner, dancing with indecision on most of his carries. Mixon makes running with the ball look difficult. He has great ability in space, but right now his vision is a liability; Hill and Bernard make that evident when they get a carry. 

Athletic player, but poor runner, dancing with indecision on most of his carries. Mixon makes running with the ball look difficult. He has great ability in space, but right now his vision is a liability; Hill and Bernard make that evident when they get a carry. 
Is it his vision or is it inexperience that will come in time in which he needs to learn to be more decisive in his decision; where through experience Hill and Gio have learn to take what's given immediately?

Tex

Is it his vision or is it inexperience that will come in time in which he needs to learn to be more decisive in his decision; where through experience Hill and Gio have learn to take what's given immediately?

Tex
Not sure. Hopefully the latter. I'm sure it's difficult to adjust to the speed of the NFL, especially when you haven't played in real games for a while. But some guys don't ever make the adjustment, see Trent Richardson and Darren McFadden. And other guys have it right from the beginning, Dalvin Cook and Kareem Hunt.

Fortunately, Mixon is a physical freak so at least he has that going for him. And the blocking has sucked. But I would still feel a lot better about him if I noticed some good instincts. 

I've mentioned this before, but despite being very familiar with Mixon as an OU fan, I found him to be a difficult read during my draft prep. 

Mixon was put in such good situations in the Oklahoma offense it was hard to truly evaluate him. They did an excellent job of playing to his strengths. Unlike Perine, he rarely faced a stacked box. In short, you needed to do a lot of projecting with Mixon & that's not the most accurate way to scout somebody.

Mixon has some outstanding pro traits, especially as a pass-catcher, but he's not a sure thing like many people thought. I also found him to be slightly overrated as an athlete. Mixon is a very good athlete, but I saw comparisons to DJ & he doesn't have that kind of raw physical ability, IMO. I still believe there's a decent chance Mixon can be a legit RB1, but he needs to improve on some of the finer points of being a pro ball carrier.

Mixon could improve quickly & I'd be interested at the right price, but his situation doesn't help matters.

Interesting discussion on mixon for sure.  I'm really interested to see how this year and his career goes. 

I passed on him in my rookie draft for mccaffery. Not sure I made the RT move.  Jury is still out on both players to be honest.  

I don't know why I'm rooting for mixon to be great.  Others hate him BC of what he did to that girl. I suppose if she were my daughter I'd hate him too.  But it would be cool if he rehabiliates his life, becomes a star in the NFL, keeps his nose clean and becomes a great role model for kids.  I believe in 2nd chances.  

I feel like we are watching different players.  He made some cuts on Sunday that only a handful of NFL backs could make.  I thought he looked great to be honest.  

I feel like we are watching different players.  He made some cuts on Sunday that only a handful of NFL backs could make.  I thought he looked great to be honest.  
I acknowledged his cuts when I said "Athletic player". I also mentioned earlier in this thread his strength when he carried Jadeveon Clowney like a book bag a few yards in week 2.

I'm bothered that he never seems to have any room to run, but Bernard always does. Maybe Mixon just can't find it, which could explain why he stutters behind the line on most of his carries. 

Yeah, I wasn't quite understanding the 'poor runner' part. He had a bit of Leveon Bell-like hesitation/burst in some of his cuts. I liked what I saw. 

If you're a FBG subscriber check out the top 10 film breakdown that Waldman posted in the week 4 content section. Very glowing film on Mixon from this week showing some fantastic cuts, unbelievable pad level, and power.  Compared him to Edgerrin James. 

I agree the Bengals line is a problem but I knew drafting Mixon he would be a hold and wait.  I think this kid is going to blow up in the latter portions of this season.  He is just that talented.  

Calling Mixon a “poor runner” is very pessimistic I think.

Yes there are carries where he dances too much.  He’s young and he’s trying to develop an NFL running style and figure things out.  Watch his tape on the Bengals late clock killing drive, he adapts to the situation well, running much more directly.  He looked outstanding on that drive.  Hopefully he’s learning as he goes.

As far as space goes, I see the same thing you’re seeing: on quite a few carries Hill and Gio seem to have more room to run.  We’re not talking about a big sample size.  It’s possible that just by sheer randomness Mixon has carried the ball on plays with worse run blocking or more defensive attention to stopping the run. Gio plays in a lot of passing situations and passing down backs almost by definition will have more space to operate in.  We need to watch a lot more Bengals football before we concern ourselves with this. 

Look, I’m not here to gloss over Mixon’s mistakes but to watch the tape we’ve seen so far and call him a poor runner feels like a very harsh assessment.  I see a player who’s not there yet but who is flashing a lot of talent and making some plays despite a poor offensive line.  He has 35 NFL carries.  If he’s still making the same mistakes week 16 as he made week 1 then we can entertain some concerns but right now I see a lot more positives to his game than negatives…

I'd think Arizona might have interest as well. And with Sproles out, Philly might give up a pick for Gio. 
They'd be crazy to give up Gio. That guy can fly and has great hands. He's not bad running either, though you'd never want to rely on him as your primary back. He's more than capable of making a few spot starts though.

They should trade Hill. I'm praying they do.

Yes there are carries where he dances too much.  He’s young and he’s trying to develop an NFL running style and figure things out.  Watch his tape on the Bengals late clock killing drive, he adapts to the situation well, running much more directly.  He looked outstanding on that drive.  Hopefully he’s learning as he goes.

As far as space goes, I see the same thing you’re seeing: on quite a few carries Hill and Gio seem to have more room to run.  We’re not talking about a big sample size.  It’s possible that just by sheer randomness Mixon has carried the ball on plays with worse run blocking or more defensive attention to stopping the run. Gio plays in a lot of passing situations and passing down backs almost by definition will have more space to operate in.  We need to watch a lot more Bengals football before we concern ourselves with this. 

Look, I’m not here to gloss over Mixon’s mistakes but to watch the tape we’ve seen so far and call him a poor runner feels like a very harsh assessment.  I see a player who’s not there yet but who is flashing a lot of talent and making some plays despite a poor offensive line.  He has 35 NFL carries.  If he’s still making the same mistakes week 16 as he made week 1 then we can entertain some concerns but right now I see a lot more positives to his game than negatives…
I didn't get to see the 4th quarter against the Packers, so I went back and watched it. Mixon had more decisiveness on said drive than I've seen of him. I stand corrected.

But it must be noted he ran the wrong play on the final third down stalling the drive.

I haven't seen much of the Bengals this year but I did get a chance to watch them fall apart and let the Packers back in the game for a bit yesterday.

I thought Mixon looked good, he had a run where the commentators mentioned reminded them a bit of LeVeon Bell, as he waited patiently behind the line then cut back to the right side for a pretty nice run when nothing else was really there. Maybe others saw this play? I thought that was a good decision on Mixon's part and he made something out of nothing.

It is possible that the defense is focusing more on the run when he is in there compared to the other two RB. Not sure about that, just saying its possible. It definitely seems that way for the Vikings when Dalvin Cook is in there.

I didn't get to see the 4th quarter against the Packers, so I went back and watched it. Mixon had more decisiveness on said drive than I've seen of him. I stand corrected.

But it must be noted he ran the wrong play on the final third down stalling the drive.
If it's the play I'm thinking of he slipped and almost fell after the snap so Dalton kept it

If it was a different play I missed it

Agreed... Giants' OL is putrid and their head coach / offensive coordinator doesn't scheme well who seems to be hellbent on run a same formation (1 RB 3 WR 1 TE).
I keep hearing the Giants O-line sucks. But the only guy who can't run behind it is Perkins. He makes that line look so bad.

Mixon thread detour.

His back foot slipped as he tried to explode from his stance. 

Gonna Flex him this week.

Week 5 I may roll with Martin coming off suspension but we’ll see how the Browns game goes. That will be the weekly decision if  everyone stays healthy.

So far, so good in terms of usage. This played out as I envisioned when I took him at 5.03.

I keep hearing the Giants O-line sucks. But the only guy who can't run behind it is Perkins. He makes that line look so bad.

Mixon thread detour.
My apologies to everyone for deviating this subject to Giants' OL.  But I'll get back to the subject of Mixon to tied in with sh*tty OL being emerging trend in the NFL.  He does offer a tantalizing talent in cutting on dime, which I found to be impressive despite Bengals' crappy OL.    And he's only rookie in a horrible RBBC with Hill and Bernard. 

He looks like he is trying to run like Leveon Bell.

Mixon does imitate Bell's style at times, whether it's on purpose or not I don't know. He didn't do that at Oklahoma. Could be he's overwhelmed on certain carries. As mentioned before, Mixon was consistently put in such good situations at Oklahoma & faced light boxes so many times I'm sure it's a big adjustment.

This was my reservation with Mixon (a lot of projecting) despite being very familiar with him. My general feeling about Mixon during my draft prep is that he was slightly overrated, but Mixon has enough raw ability to be a legit RB1, especially in PPR. Might be one of those things where the light goes on & he takes off. 

I find Mixon to be an interesting case study for FF.

Breakout week for Joe Mixon? 

20 carries, 100 yards rushing, 3 receptions, 35 yards receiving and one or two TD's. Nice fantasy day!

Time for the Bengals to get back on track. Dalton throws for 2 TD's and 275 yards as well.

Division matchup is the real first test for the new offensive coordinator.  Very interested in watching this game given the Bountygate blitzer vs Bengals oline.

Anyone who saw the game -

Was his terrible stats a product of his o-line or him? i.e. Was he getting drilled in the backfield or just not hitting the holes?

His o line and the involvement of the other backs are holding him back.   And of course it's also possible that mixon simply isn't as good as we all thought.  

I only have him on one team and that team is almost certainly gonna be 0-4. I know this will sound silly to some but I just outright cut him. It didn't feel right drafting him. I passed on him everywhere except my one local league were he fell quite far--and even then I threw up in my mouth a little drafting him. Cutting him I feel like the ancient Mariner getting rid of that albatross 'round his neck.

Users who are viewing this thread