What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Kareem Hunt, CLE (1 Viewer)

I wanted to jump on here this morning and say that as one of the people who said they were concerned it might be too much, too soon, and even though the Patriots obviously weren't "the patriots" laat night a d have many issues to resolve with personnel, I was very impressed and this looks exciting to watch going forward. 

Well done 

I've been a Chiefs fan for 14 mostly painful years. I know 2 things: bad QB play and good RB play. This kid, in this system behind this line, with this coach, is the truth.

Quote me all year long. Trust me. Win leagues with me. 
I'm in. I did a league in Vegas last night after the game with 11 other top ranked fantasy players according to FFWC rankings and I took him 3rd overall. It was a tossup between him and A. Brown for me, and I went with points in the bank and what my eyeballs confirmed for me on all the points you described above.

Remember Foster's breakout week 1 in 2010? 33/231/3. Likely wasn't game planned for, like Hunt tonight. He had a fantastic NFL run, so I would just call this an outlier or project a Foster type career trajectory out of one game either. You have to hold at this point if you own Hunt and see where it goes, could be an outlier or could be an indicator he's going to be on champ rosters.
Regarding getting game planned for, while that might be true, it is gonna become a pick your poison situation with defenses. Assuming Hill is okay, his speed has to be accounted for; he will scare the hell out of every defense.  And then you've got one of the top TEs in football in Travis Kelce.  If teams want to game plan for Hunt and stack the line, Hill will take the top off all day, while Kelce gets open across the middle non-stop. Having a play caller as creative Andy Reid will help them all.  It's win-win-win. 

One game. One game when he set a record for yards from scrimage.

one game where his entire skill set was on display. 

One game where he showed more fluidity receiving the ball than anyone in the league not named Westbrook - not on the 78 yarder -that was a perfect pass. That showed speed. No, on the 1st TD where Smith threw a horrible pass that sailed high and outside and Hunt brought it in cleanly; then took a great angle to the end zone.

you can't come in here and tell me I didn't see what I saw. Hunt looks like the real deal, and that Chiefs OL can open holes for him. When they couldn't he made his own yards. 

Now, is he the next Marshall Faulk? Of course not - it's one game, as you suggest. 

But there's plenty to be excited about if you're a chiefs fan or a Hunt owner. :yes:  
yes. I agree. let's temper expectations, but yes hunt owners have the real deal for sure

Might be a time to sell high. I'm not sure his value will ever be higher and you might be able to flip him for one of the top 3 fantasy WRs if someone overreacts.

That said, he looked really good and with that hot start will definitely contend for the top RB spot. Feeling a small twinge of draft regret taking Dalvin instead of Hunt.

Might be a time to sell high. I'm not sure his value will ever be higher and you might be able to flip him for one of the top 3 fantasy WRs if someone overreacts.

That said, he looked really good and with that hot start will definitely contend for the top RB spot. Feeling a small twinge of draft regret taking Dalvin instead of Hunt.
I'll never understand why people want to sell up and coming players.

I'm not selling now because I'm a running back whore. When it's week 10 and I'm headed for the playoffs I want a RB starved team begging for one of my RBs.

Good post. Hunt mania will be super high. But if you need a RB to win now, you gotta hold him and play him.  

if I had hunt I would probably be trying to sell for a top wr. This is for my situation only.

If I had hunt my rbs would be Ajayi Crowell Hunt and Abdullah. My wrs would be hurting with Dez and likely a 5th rounder or Diggs

flipping hunt for a guy like Antonio Brown or OBJ would be huge. 

his value won't get any higher. he's the real deal. I wouldn't expect rb1 numbers every week but he will at least be the best rb2 out there. thats awesome. 

selling high is worth it if you are deep at rb. but I can definitely see why people would hold onto him... he looked good

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm in. I did a league in Vegas last night after the game with 11 other top ranked fantasy players according to FFWC rankings and I took him 3rd overall. It was a tossup between him and A. Brown for me, and I went with points in the bank and what my eyeballs confirmed for me on all the points you described above.
LOL. 

It just seems like every time a young player has a big game there's a group that scream 'sell high'
everyone manages their team differently. last year d. Parker had a huge game. I sold him high and grabbed Crowell. worked out better for me. 

selling high can be a huge difference maker for a championship. of course theres always that group that says "over my dead body" too. theres.no right or wrong, just individual teams. we all don't have to manage the same way or criticize how someone else might manage Hunt

everyone manages their team differently. last year d. Parker had a huge game. I sold him high and grabbed Crowell. worked out better for me. 

selling high can be a huge difference maker for a championship. of course theres always that group that says "over my dead body" too. theres.no right or wrong, just individual teams. we all don't have to manage the same way or criticize how someone else might manage Hunt
I'm fine with people managing how they want.  I guess I just found it interesting how every year there are some players that have good games and there's always a group that say sell high.  It's almost as if it's become cliche.

It just seems like every time a young player has a big game there's a group that scream 'sell high'
Have you been reading the posts in here and the game thread?  The opposite is also true - people are crowing him ROY after seeing one game of the NFL season.  Those are the type of people that just might overpay for a guy like Hunt, so why not if you weren't sold on him before this and might not think he will sustain this for the season?

Wat, I thought Hunt was the Alpha dog...

Yeah, roll him out.

Lets start a I'm starting Hunt over __________

I'd start but I failed to roster him, but if I did, I'd probably sit him tonight for Burkhead, who I got with my 14th round pick.

Normally I wouldn't do this, but given the circumstances I can't help myself.

Have you been reading the posts in here and the game thread?  The opposite is also true - people are crowing him ROY after seeing one game of the NFL season.  Those are the type of people that just might overpay for a guy like Hunt, so why not if you weren't sold on him before this and might not think he will sustain this for the season?
Oh yeah.  They are a the opposite end of the spectrum of when a new player has a big game.  They are also pretty cliche.  We could easily come up fantasy football stereotypes just from people who post here.

There is one team where I have Hunt and would consider trading him but it will all depend on Elliott.  I have David Johnson and Elliott as my starting RBs with Hunt as a flex or bench player.  If Elliott can play all year then it makes sense to try and trade him.

Karlos Williams
Spencer Ware
Matt Jones

Just off the top of my head, guys that less than 12 months ago were red hot trade values.  I've always said I will sell anyone at full market value because their value can only go down.  If someone offers me AJG or Evans for Hunt I will break a finger getting to the accept button.

I'd be one of those sellers if I owned him anywhere.  I think he'll break down with a higher workload which doesn't mean he can't succeed as a 60-70% workload guy and that might be enough to keep him in the rb1 category but for people crowning him in the lev Bell and DJ tier, it's just dumb.  Simple way for me to put it on Hunt is id rather be late to his party than jumping in after 1 game for 1st round startup prices.  

Karlos Williams
Spencer Ware
Matt Jones

Just off the top of my head, guys that less than 12 months ago were red hot trade values.  I've always said I will sell anyone at full market value because their value can only go down.  If someone offers me AJG or Evans for Hunt I will break a finger getting to the accept button.
I would depending on the other RBs I had.  I always worry about trading for a player that may have a bad season or get hurt while giving away an up and coming player.  Always two ways to look at it.  If Hunt isn't my best RB then I would certainly entertain trade offers.

I'd be one of those sellers if I owned him anywhere.  I think he'll break down with a higher workload which doesn't mean he can't succeed as a 60-70% workload guy and that might be enough to keep him in the rb1 category but for people crowning him in the lev Bell and DJ tier, it's just dumb.  Simple way for me to put it on Hunt is id rather be late to his party than jumping in after 1 game for 1st round startup prices.  

Workload is an interesting topic with Hunt.  He got 17 carries and 5 catches for 22 touches - which frankly was more than I expected.  West only had 2 touches, so it sure looks like Hunt is the primary guy if this is a reasonable indicator.

But the thing I found interesting watching the game was that Hunt seemed to be getting spelled quite a bit (relative to workload differential).  It appeared that Reid was pacing him a bit, which IMO is a very good thing.

If this keeps up, I could see where the traditional rookie wall might be something that Hunt could overcome.  

Curious as to what others' perceptions were.

ETA:  here is a snap count that I found:

KC O plays:  69

Running back

RB Kareem Hunt: 40

RB Charcandrick West: 24

FB Anthony Sherman: 12

Guess Billy should have worked on shutting him down. What he did was very impressive, will need to see it again soon to know he is as good as this game shows.

Came in to post something similar.  This was the only game in town last night, so not only was everyone in your league likely watching, those that weren't saw the highlights this morning.  The gold is in multi-player and multi-pick deals you can generate with him.  The situation would have to be perfect to have someone move Brown, Julio, or even OBJ straight up at this point.  But Hunt and a couple of B minus roster fillers could likely net you sweet sweet haul you would have never even sniffed before last nights game.

Don't give Hunt away (or even take fair/even value), but take a look at some deep teams that you think you might be able to fleece.  Push the "this is your last chance to get him this cheap" meme.  Can't make any sales if you don't make any calls.  If worse comes to worse people reject your offers and you're stuck with a game-changing bell cow type back that you likely got at a fantastic ADP compared to what he'll provide you with over the course of the season.  Boo Hoo. 

- Side note: if you think you're overestimating the hype frenzy on this guy or your ability to sell high....take a look at the last couple of pages in this thread.  People are losing their minds over one game.  Visions of Priest Holmes and Jamaal Charles dancing in their heads.  Be the guy that benefits from that hysteria, not the guy that falls for it.

Came in to post something similar.  This was the only game in town last night, so not only was everyone in your league likely watching, those that weren't saw the highlights this morning.  The gold is in multi-player and multi-pick deals you can generate with him.  The situation would have to be perfect to have someone move Brown, Julio, or even OBJ straight up at this point.  But Hunt and a couple of B minus roster fillers could likely net you sweet sweet haul you would have never even sniffed before last nights game.

Don't give Hunt away (or even take fair/even value), but take a look at some deep teams that you think you might be able to fleece.  Push the "this is your last chance to get him this cheap" meme.  Can't make any sales if you don't make any calls.  If worse comes to worse people reject your offers and you're stuck with a game-changing bell cow type back that you likely got at a fantastic ADP compared to what he'll provide you with over the course of the season.  Boo Hoo. 

- Side note: if you think you're overestimating the hype frenzy on this guy or your ability to sell high....take a look at the last couple of pages in this thread.  People are losing their minds over one game.  Visions of Priest Holmes and Jamaal Charles dancing in their heads.  Be the guy that benefits from that hysteria, not the guy that falls for it.
I don't disagree with you, but historically Andy Reid RBs - particularly versatile ones - have been fantasy gold. Even two-touch West was gold for several weeks, and Ware after that. Undoubtedly, he won't be the next Jamaal Charles, but Hunt has virtually no competition for touches as long as he stays healthy. You can't say that about many RBs anymore.

I don't disagree with you, but historically Andy Reid RBs - particularly versatile ones - have been fantasy gold. Even two-touch West was gold for several weeks, and Ware after that. Undoubtedly, he won't be the next Jamaal Charles, but Hunt has virtually no competition for touches as long as he stays healthy. You can't say that about many RBs anymore.
Great points (and a lot of the points I'd push if I were trying to make a killing in a deal).  Hunt's performance last night was one of those things that could set up your team for years to come. 

Best part is if no one wants to pony up the price, you're "stuck" with him.  Not a bad spot to be.

He's also a rookie who likely will hit the wall if they use him that much this season
He looked gassed during one of his long runs. He was outrunning McCourty down the sideline and he slowed up, was caught, and forced out of bounds.  Could have potentially had another TD. Most rookies hit a wall after playing their final year of college, going straight into combine training, then straight into the NFL season.  Wouldn't be surprised if he did as well, but I'm guessing most Hunt owners are pretty happy this morning. Even if he was benched, he's shown that he's a great asset for the future.

I'm not saying I wouldn't trade him for a big haul if someone offered, but people seem to talk as if this is some kind of fluke. In Hunt we have:

* a no-doubt, locked-in No. 1 RB on his team

* a guy who was chosen in the 3rd round, not some UDFA

* hand-picked by a coach who has a proven track record of success with RBs

* on a team with a proven track record of featuring its RB moreso than most teams in the league in the pass-happy NFL

* behind one of the better run-blocking OLs in the league

* a guy who in college never fumbled, didn't rack up a history of injuries, and didn't beat his girlfriend/wife which is a nice bonus

I simply don't see anything not to like. Every checkbox is ticked, everything you want in a productive fantasy RB is there.

he looked good, but gassed, probably because seemingly everytime he caught the ball or had a run,he was breaking free for 78 yards..tired from all the LOOONG runs he had..

but was this his talent coming on, or what appears to be a very bad NE defense, or both?

That's an interesting response. I've seen three high stakes drafts since last night and Hunt and gone 3 in all of them.
I believe it. My redraft league drafted on the Saturday after the Thursday Night games were played for the last five years. This year we went back to the weekend before Labor Day. I am almost positive that if we were drafting tomorrow he would have went 3rd - especially knowing who had that slot this year (he traded up for my No. 3 pick the year Manning threw 7 TDs on opening Thursday Night).

While it seems "off" that a guy should vault up the board based on one game - if you realty think about it, not only are you locking in the points but we now got a preview on how Reid will use him and what he's capable of in that role. Will he score 46 points every week? Obviously not, but he will likely be projected to score 15-22 points every week going forward now and will likely hit that range, and beyond, a good number of times.

he looked good, but gassed, probably because seemingly everytime he caught the ball or had a run,he was breaking free for 78 yards..tired from all the LOOONG runs he had..

but was this his talent coming on, or what appears to be a very bad NE defense, or both?
He also broke 2-4 long(ish) runs that were called back due to holding penalties - so while they don't show up officially as carries, they take their toll.

Karlos Williams
Spencer Ware
Matt Jones

If that's the market value then yes by all means.  But is that really the market value?  We're people really giving up 1st round WR assets for guys like you mentioned above?Sell high sounds nice in theory but I doubt people will be giving up that much after one week...I could be wrong though. 

To me Gillislee is the sell high from last night.  His snap count was half of James White and I can't imagine too many games where Brady has 0 TD's and the Patriots have that many goal line plunges.

Users who are viewing this thread