What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Kareem Hunt, CLE (8 Viewers)

In my 10 team standard scoring league he went 1st pick in the 6th round snake draft. I was surprised a bit thought he'd last another round.

Just got him 6.05 in a 12 team redraft. Felt like the right price. Rotoworld touting him as a 4-5 round pick since he was tabbed feature back. 

Someone took ware in the 8th. Gah 

Drafted last night and I think I was the only one that saw the most up to date news on Hunt. Took him at the 6/7 turn. I thought it was early, but people seemed to like the pick. 

Also nevermind about the 6/7 turn, this guy is going to be a 3rd or 4th round pick now. I wouldn't get carried way. Chiefs are still a slow low scoring offense. I expect Hunt to have a similar season to Ware last year. That is good, but at where his ADP will move to, it's not a screaming value. 

Also nevermind about the 6/7 turn, this guy is going to be a 3rd or 4th round pick now. I wouldn't get carried way. Chiefs are still a slow low scoring offense. I expect Hunt to have a similar season to Ware last year. That is good, but at where his ADP will move to, it's not a screaming value. 
The KC situation has a chance to really turn on them this year. Getting rid of Maclin, losing Ware, surly a QB controversy could turn them to a 6-10 team this season. My hope now (since I draft on Tuesday) is that Hunt leapfrogs many he should and helps me later on.  

The KC situation has a chance to really turn on them this year. Getting rid of Maclin, losing Ware, surly a QB controversy could turn them to a 6-10 team this season. My hope now (since I draft on Tuesday) is that Hunt leapfrogs many he should and helps me later on.  
Absolutely, I think KC has a down year and could be pretty bad on offense. I was avoiding all Chiefs, but the gamble to get a starting RB in the 7th round was obviously a good pick. I'm just not sure I would be excited to take him in the 3rd round as I see Sig advocating on Twitter. 

Well if Ware is out all year then projections may look like 245 rushing attempts (15.3 per game) at 4.2 ypc 1029 yards (62.3 per game) 48 targets (3 per game) 35 receptions 245 yards (15 per game) and 4-8 TD.

This would be 1274 combined yards (79.6 per game) and 6 TD which is worth 163.4 points in standard scoring leagues (10.2 points per game) 198.4 points in PPR leagues (12.4 points per game)

Those points in 2016 would be RB 16 in standard (where Ware finished) and RB 18 in PPR

I think Hill is a better #1 WR than Maclin. And they still have Kelce and a good defense. This offense is built for running the ball.

Maclin was garbage. 
Maclin was injured. 

Obviously Andy Reid was ready to move on but Maclin was very good for KC in 2015 and finished as WR 15 in PPR scoring.

I do see his absence as a bit of a void for the KC offense overall. He was a player who kept the sticks moving. Not sure Hill and Conley can keep KC on schedule as well as Maclin did.

Maclin was injured. 

Obviously Andy Reid was ready to move on but Maclin was very good for KC in 2015 and finished as WR 15 in PPR scoring.

I do see his absence as a bit of a void for the KC offense overall. He was a player who kept the sticks moving. Not sure Hill and Conley can keep KC on schedule as well as Maclin did.
 I think they'll be fine. Kansas City will do what Kansas City does… I don't see a tremendous regression because they lost Maclin. 

Iirc  Maclin was top 15 only in PPR leagues.  That doesn't translate that well to actual football. 

They still have an above average & accurate quarterback, likely a competent running back,  and an elite defense. With Hill, they will also score special teams touchdowns.

Would they be better were Maclin  still there? Probably so. But I don't think  his departure is  as earth shattering as suggested here. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Not a chance. Maclin is multi time 1000 yard receiver. Hill has never at any level of football been a WR1, he is the ultimate aspirational pick for fantasy. 
 While I agree with this, and I think he's over drafted a bit compared to the players around him, I do think he has a chance to be a special player in this league. The upside is legitimate. Just because he doesn't have the track record doesn't mean he's not capable. 

Of course, first he needs to do something about those  Oven mitts  he calls hands. ;)  

I took Hunt early 6th round (one-keeper league so essentially 7th round) in a Sunday draft just after the "Ware out for the year" news broke. I found out during the draft. I don't know if anyone else knew. 

I mention that because I think that's the end of the Hunt 6/7 availability. I expect 4th round to be where he goes for my future drafts. I agree with those who say he's not fantastic value there, but I'd say if you want him, 4th is where you'll have to make your move. 

While I agree with this, and I think he's over drafted a bit compared to the players around him, I do think he has a chance to be a special player in this league. The upside is legitimate. Just because he doesn't have the track record doesn't mean he's not capable. 

Of course, first he needs to do something about those  Oven mitts  he calls hands. ;)  
He's fun and a super special athlete but he is incredibly ill suited to be a #1WR IMO. 

Ilov80s said:
Yeah, the hype is getting to where he is no longer a value.  I had an auction draft last night.  I opened the bidding on him, thinking he might be undervalued.  He ended up going for $38 (I dropped out once it got past $20). For comparison, I drafted Lamar Miller earlier for $32.

Ilov80s said:
He's fun and a super special athlete but he is incredibly ill suited to be a #1WR IMO. 
I'm inclined to agree. He may well put up WR1 #s for FFB though.  Especially an IDP leagues that get his return yards and touchdowns. 

Well I'm 2/2 on Hunt shares. Paid a 7th round price before Ware's injury and took him in the 5th just now in a 12 team PPR. Yahoo!'s default rankings still have Ware much higher and Hunt way down. I didn't want to gamble that he would come back around in the 6th.

Reid will run him for a few first downs. It will appear they are about to start running down hill, and Reid will randomly take him out or abandon the run. It's just how he coaches. The only one worse is Peyton in New Orleans. 

Reid will run him for a few first downs. It will appear they are about to start running down hill, and Reid will randomly take him out or abandon the run. It's just how he coaches. The only one worse is Peyton in New Orleans. 
That is simply not accurate.

My IDP league is even trickier for Hunt....we draft on Saturday the 9th, the day after KC/NEP game. 

If hunt is great, he's a 2nd or early 3rd rounder. The points count, after all.

If he sucks he'll fall. If he sucks but gets 20+ touches, he'll still be a 3rd rounder. 

:doh:  

My IDP league is even trickier for Hunt....we draft on Saturday the 9th, the day after KC/NEP game. 

If hunt is great, he's a 2nd or early 3rd rounder. The points count, after all.

If he sucks he'll fall. If he sucks but gets 20+ touches, he'll still be a 3rd rounder. 

:doh:  
How's it going brother sauce......   :P

I have my biggest league draft Monday night. (later this evening) I fully anticipate getting Hunt in 1-2 leagues, but where I am drafting (and my planned strategy) I may not be able to get him in tonights draft.

Having a draft after that date (more on that in a minute) is odd, but that may well work in your favor, so be prepared to get him at a relative value. For if the Pats start scoring a bunch then Hunt may not get too much work.  If they get behind quickly KC may have to start throwing, and if thats the case it may keep his touches down some.

So you might be in a unique position to get him "cheap" or late in the draft, if he flies under the radar a bit.

Why on Earth are you guys having a draft on the 9th???   (I'm just assuming that is a time that works for everyone)

TZM

How's it going brother sauce......   :P

I have my biggest league draft Monday night. (later this evening) I fully anticipate getting Hunt in 1-2 leagues, but where I am drafting (and my planned strategy) I may not be able to get him.

Having a draft after that date (more on that in a minute) is odd, but that may well work in your favor, so be prepared to get him at a relative value. For if the Pats start scoring a bunch then Hunt may not get too much work.  If they get behind quickly KC may have to start throwing, and if thats the case it may keep his touches down some.

So you might be in a unique position to get him "cheap" or late in the draft, if he flies under the radar a bit.

Why on Earth are you guys having a draft on the 9th???   (I'm just assuming that is a time that works for everyone)

TZM
Yeah - that had occurred to me. NEP is good at shutting down the best option, and KC's offense is built around the run. 

So Hunt might be labeled a bust & drop to  6-7-8.  Good to draft & not have in the starting lineup for week 1. 

We're drafting the 9th mostly because my festival schedule was brutal this year. Last weekend was Anaheim for the CA Hot Sauce Expo (I won "People's Choice" out of ~40 industry companies), this weekend was Santa Cruz Tequila & Taco festival (I lead a charmed life) and Tuesday we leave to set up our booth for the 6-day Best of the West BBQ cookoff/festival. 

And due to other conflicts of leaguemates we couldn't draft earlier - and most of us didn't want to for injury & other factors. 

So the 9th it is. 

I played in the WCOFF a few years back & they do it that way. I kinda like it. I kinda don't. KC is tough on D too. 

So naturally, it'll be 45-38 :doh:  

Hunt went at pick 34 in my 12 team redraft Saturday afternoon.
I liked Ware a lot this year. I drafted him as my RB3/4 in the 5th/6th round in most of my drafts(yes, I went RB heavy). I would never pick him in the 3rd or 4th. 

Why is Hunt going in the 3rd/4th? I've seen the pre season tape on Hunt and I don't see a 3rd/4th round RB. This one will be interesting to watch, I think Hunt is going to disappoint those drafting him as their RB2 or higher.

I liked Ware a lot this year. I drafted him as my RB3/4 in the 5th/6th round in most of my drafts(yes, I went RB heavy). I would never pick him in the 3rd or 4th. 

Why is Hunt going in the 3rd/4th? I've seen the pre season tape on Hunt and I don't see a 3rd/4th round RB. This one will be interesting to watch, I think Hunt is going to disappoint those drafting him as their RB2 or higher.

Well, if nothing else I can give you credit for your tenaciousness.  Once you form an opinion and post it there appears to be very little that can occur subsequently that will ever change it.

The reason Hunt is going before Ware: 

1. When people were taking Ware, they knew that there was a 3rd round rookie RB who had been getting 1st team reps lurking behind him. Now that Ware is out of the picture, the situation is more clear. Ware would have gotten a big bump if it was Hunt who had a season ending knee injury. 

2. The allure of the unknown. We had a full season to see Ware play and it was ok. He's certainly a reliable player to start, but it's pretty clear he wasn't going to be a star. Since Hunt is a rookie, his upside is unknown (of course so is his downside, but people tend not to think like that). 

3. While Ware proved something on the field the last 2 years, let us not forget who he was. A 6th round pick by Seattle who cut him a year later. He was behind Charles and an undrafted FA on the depth chart. It took injures to both to get him a job splitting time with Kniles Davis- a guy that has basically been cast off an NFL roster 5 times in his 4 year career. In 2016, Ware only ended up as the starter because of the inability for Charles to comeback from knee surgery. Just looking at it from that perspective and it shouldn't be much of a shock that a a RB the Chiefs traded up to take in the 3rd round is viewed as having more upside than Ware. 

Prior to the injury Ware and Hunt were going to form some type of split. Hunt is now the bell cow and the split with West/Spiller will be minimal. IMO Hunt has everything you want in an RB except long speed. I see him as a Foster, Rice, E. Smith kind of RB.

Hunt will be gone by the 3rd round in most every draft moving forward.

Thought this thread would actually be more on fire than it is.  I think Hunt is a low RB1, high RB2 based on opportunity.  We all know there are very few workhorses left.

@GrahamBarfield

Kareem Hunt: Fantasy RB1

Andy Reid coached backfield's have finished inside of the Top 10 in Team RB PPR points seven times in the last 10 years.  Top 16 in 9 of 10.
JJ Zachariason (@lateroundQB) predicts he will finish as the top rookie RB for FF.  I agree.

http://www.numberfire.com/nfl/news/16029/kareem-hunt-will-be-the-top-rookie-running-back-in-fantasy-football-this-year

And just like that, Kareem Hunt is the Kansas City Chiefs' featured running back.

On Friday, Chiefs lead rusher Spencer Ware went down with a knee injury. Today, it's looking like a season-ender, which will force the rookie Hunt to the top of the depth chart. As one group of fantasy owners shed tears (I hope not), another is elated over having a new starting running back on their roster.

This is fantasy football. And it's obnoxious.

But this is the hand we're dealt. And my goodness, for those of you who drafted Hunt later in your fantasy drafts prior to Friday, you may have just landed a pair of aces.

Stepping In and Up

Kareem Hunt's no stranger to a large workload. At Toledo last season, Hunt toted the rock 262 times, finishing the year with a 51.17% rushing attempt market share -- the percentage of team rushes that went to Hunt -- in the backfield. Among relevant backs in this year's draft class, that ranked seventh best.

He also made the most of his workload, accounting for over 58% of Toledo's rushing yards and rushing touchdowns, ranking above average in both market share categories.

Moreover, Hunt ranked eighth in this class in reception market share, catching over 14% of Toledo's completed passes last season.

The man was -- and profiles to be -- a three-down back.

He'll now enter a role in the Chiefs' offense where he needs to be one. Over the last four years in Kansas City -- the four years since Andy Reid has been the head coach -- the player with the highest rushing market share has also seen a significant number of targets through the air. You can see how that jumped from 2012 (no Andy Reid) to 2013 (with Reid) in the table below, too.

Player                  Year    Att  Market Share  Targets  Market Share

Jamaal Charles  2012    285          57.00%       48    10.11%

Jamaal Charles  2013    259          58.60%       104   19.05%

Jamaal Charles  2014    206           49.05%        59    11.97%

Charc West        2015      160        36.70%        34      7.19%

Spencer Ware    2016      214         51.94%      42        7.69%

For reference, only 13 running backs hit the 10% target market share mark in 2016, while 32 made it to 7%. Charcandrick West and Spencer Ware didn't even play full seasons as starters over the last two years, and they were still in that top-25 range within the metric. That's how much the team utilizes their lead back in the passing game.

On the ground -- you know, where running backs are known for doing things -- we should generally expect a rushing market share north of 50%. Again, this is a strong number at the position: it was matched by just 17 backs last year. Ware himself was pacing to a near 60% market share season had he been healthy, too.

And speaking of Spencer Ware, he's actually a reason to feel hopeful about Hunt. Ware wasn't nearly the type of prospect Hunt is, having played behind Jeremy Hill during his final season at Louisiana State. Despite the fact that Ware never hit 200 or more carries in a single season dating back to forever (he never did it in college), the Chiefs had no problem feeding him the rock in 2016.

Whether that was due to a lack of competition (Jamaal Charles was done for) or a love for using true three-down backs, it really shouldn't matter when we're analyzing Kareem Hunt's 2017 potential.

That's exactly what he has going for him, too: there's no competition.

A Running Back's Potential

We know volume is king in fantasy football. It's why bad players with volume can be effective for your pretend teams, and why someone like DeSean Jackson, who always helps his offenses out tremendously by stretching the field, isn't always the best fantasy football option.

This is truest at the running back position. While a wide receiver's volume comes from a combination of scheme, coaching, separation, and quarterback choices (they've got to want to throw the ball to that receiver), a running back's volume is almost entirely driven by coaching decisions and play-calling. That means that evaluation means less: if a wide receiver is good, he'll not only be on the field, but the quarterback -- the guy throwing him the ball -- will notice. If the quarterback thinks a running back is bad, it doesn't really matter. If the back is on the field, he's on the field. He's getting volume.

He's going to be relevant in fantasy football.

This is mostly to say that we shouldn't overvalue running back talent when we inherently know that situation matters more in fantasy football.

From a fantasy perspective, there are five really basic questions we need to ask about the potential for a running back: Does the running back have competition? Is the running back an early-down back? Is the running back going to see goal-line work? Is the running back going to see passing-down work? Is the running back in a good offense?

And when you break things down this way, it's pretty clear that Hunt could finish as this year's best rookie running back.

Does the Running Back Have Competition?

If we peek at average draft position data, it's obvious who the top rookie running backs are in fantasy football heading into the season. We've got Leonard Fournette in Jacksonville, Christian McCaffrey in Carolina, Joe Mixon in Cincinnati, and Dalvin Cook in Minnesota. Each player is being drafted as a starter in a 12-team standard league, and each back was selected significantly higher -- especially Fournette and McCaffrey -- in the NFL Draft when compared to Hunt.

Let's kick things off by looking at the backfield competition each one of these players faces this season.

Player    Competition

Leonard Fournette   Chris Ivory, TJ Yeldon

Christian McCaffrey    Jonathan Stewart, Cam Newton

Joe Mixon    Jeremy Hill, Giovani Bernard

Dalvin Cook   Latavius Murray, Jerick McKinnon

Kareem Hunt    Charcandrick West, CJ Spiller

Now, before you burn my Twitter mentions, I agree that each of these players can and should supplant the other runners in their respective backfields this year. But the already-injured Fournette has to deal with an early-down bruiser in Chris Ivory, who's carried the ball 744 times over the last four years. That's on top of T.J. Yeldon, who caught 50 balls last year, the 11th-most in the NFL. McCaffrey's got a dynamic rushing quarterback and a talented (former first-round selection, albeit now aged) back in Jonathan Stewart. Mixon isn't even starting preseason games because of his competition, and Cook has Latavius Murray, who signed a decent-enough sized contract for a running back with the Vikings this offseason.

Kareem Hunt has the corpse of C.J. Spiller and a player who's been pushed back to a third-down role over the last two seasons in Charcandrick West.

Is the Running Back an Early-Down Back?

Since we don't have NFL data on these players, the best we can do when analyzing their early-down workhorse potential is by looking at how they were used in college. And, unsurprisingly given the notes above, Kareem Hunt carried the load at a similar rate as the other top backs in this year's class. (Note: Fournette's 2015 is used below due to his 2016 injury.)

Name                           Year       Att/Game     Att Market Share

Leonard Fournette         2015    25.00              59.41%

Christian McCaffrey       2016    23.00               48.47%

Dalvin Cook                   2016     22.15             55.60%

Kareem Hunt                 2016      20.15             51.17%

Joe Mixon                       2016     15.58             32.69%

Is the Running Back Going to See Goal-Line Work?

Of the top-60 running back seasons we've seen in fantasy football (PPR) over the last six years (10 per season), just five have scored fewer than five rushing touchdowns. And a solid 73.33% of them have hit the seven-touchdown mark.

Spoiler alert: a running back needs to score touchdowns to be successful in fantasy football.

Is Dalvin Cook a lock to see touches close to his opponent's end zone? Not necessarily. With Oakland last year, Latavius Murray saw 17 touches from within his opponent's 5-yard line, which was the sixth-highest total in football. And Murray missed two games. He thrived in the role, scoring more touchdowns from that distance than anyone not named LeGarrette Blount or David Johnson.

What about Christian McCaffrey? Well, Jonathan Stewart saw 16 goal-line attempts last year, which was just one fewer than the aforementioned Murray. And Cam Newton also exists. Newton's scored the most rushing touchdowns in the entire NFL from within his opponent's five-yard line since entering the league in 2011. That list includes running backs.

And, lastly, Mixon's competing with a player in Jeremy Hill who's literally only been valuable in fantasy football over the last two years because he scores touchdowns.

Fournette should dominate these types of looks for the Jags, but aside from him, shouldn't you feel most confident about Hunt getting goal-line carries?

Is the Running Back Going to See Passing-Down Work?

Given their college profiles, we should feel fairly confident that each of the rookies we're looking at can play a pass-catching role in their offense.

Name                             Year                   Rec Market Share              Rec Yds Market Share

Christian McCaffrey      2016                         20.67%                                   15.08%

Kareem Hunt                 2016                        14.09%                                     9.60%

Joe Mixon                      2016                       13.65%                                     13.01%

Dalvin Cook                    2016                       13.52%                                    14.21%

Leonard Fournette          2015                      12.75%                                      11.69%

Cook and McCaffrey appeared locked into a receiving role in their offense. Cook already has eight targets in the preseason, and McCaffrey's one of the best -- if not the best -- receiving running back prospects we've ever seen.

Mixon should be projected to catch a lot of balls, but Giovani Bernard is there, and he's seen 50-plus targets in all four seasons he's played in the NFL. Meanwhile, T.J. Yeldon has received praise for his pass protection and is slotted in as the Jaguars' receiving running back (as long as he can stay healthy).

While Charcandrick West may see passing downs at times, the original chart above showing how Andy Reid uses his backs as receivers should shed some optimism to Hunt's pass-catching situation.

Is the Running Back in a Good Offense?

Naturally, you'd rather have your running back in a good offense than in a bad one. According to our schedule-adjusted Net Expected Points model, here's where numberFire's algorithm ranked each of the running back's offenses last season.

PlayerOffense Rank

Joe Mixon12th

Kareem Hunt17th

Christian McCaffrey21st

Dalvin Cook22nd

Leonard Fournette30th

These figures will undoubtedly change this year (especially Carolina's ranking), but it should be noted that, under Andy Reid, the Chiefs have ranked 17th, 15th, 13th, and 22nd in overall offensive efficiency. They won't be crushing opposing defenses this year, but it's a safe bet to say that they'll be around an average to slightly below-average offense.

Oh, and also: this should be one of the biggest dings to Leonard Fournette. During the Blake Bortles era, the team has failed to score double-digit rushing touchdowns in a single season.

Thanks for the negative game scripts, Blake.

Bringing It Together

Is Christian McCaffrey in a better situation than Kareem Hunt? There's certainly an argument, but he's competing for the always-necessary goal-line touches with two very capable scorers.

How about Dalvin Cook? It's the same deal. What if Minnesota uses the recently-purchased Latavius Murray as their goal-line back?

Joe Mixon? What about Joe Mixon?

Is Joe Mixon even going to be the team's starter to begin the year?

What about fourth-overall pick Leonard Fournette? Well, not only is Fournette nursing an injury right now, but he's not projected to be the passing-down back in an offense that's seen loads of negative game scripts with their incompetent quarterback under center over the last three years. That's resulted in a capped ceiling for running backs, no matter who the running back is.

What's there not to like about Kareem Hunt?

Kareem Hunt. That's what's not to like about Kareem Hunt.

But I'd maintain that if you're making your running back decisions in fantasy football off of talent and not situation, then you're overlooking the obvious foundation of the game.

It's about opportunity. It's not just about talent.

And, hey -- Kareem Hunt, with loads of opportunity, may also be loaded with talent.

So where do we see him going in redraft (PPR) leagues now ? Have to believe that he doesn't make it past the end of the 3rd round now---although one of the ADP sites I look at (which monitors drafts happening currently---as of Monday, August 28th) still shows his ADP at the end of the 4th round of a 12 yeam draft (pick # 48).

So where do we see him going in redraft (PPR) leagues now ? Have to believe that he doesn't make it past the end of the 3rd round now---although one of the ADP sites I look at (which monitors drafts happening currently---as of Monday, August 28th) still shows his ADP at the end of the 4th round of a 12 yeam draft (pick # 48).
He's probably a mid-3rd guy now

Going before (or after) guys like Cook and McCaffrey ? 
That's tough. I could see the arguments for taking him before because his situation seems more concrete than the other 2, but at the same time, Cook and McCaffery are more talented players.

Wonder if they also sign someone before the season.  Not sure if anyone would dent his prospects at this point.  Ryan Mathews?  Deangelo Williams?  Rashad Jennings?

That's tough. I could see the arguments for taking him before because his situation seems more concrete than the other 2, but at the same time, Cook and McCaffery are more talented players.
I feel like like, in my half point PPR league, that Cook will go before Hunt and McCaffrey. 

Wonder if they also sign someone before the season.  Not sure if anyone would dent his prospects at this point.  Ryan Mathews?  Deangelo Williams?  Rashad Jennings?
They still have West and Spiller. They could bring in someone else I guess, but probably not a priority for them.

I feel like like, in my half point PPR league, that Cook will go before Hunt and McCaffrey. 
Feel like Lat Murray is a bigger threat than Charc West re: touches esp near the goalline, and McKinnon > Spiller.

I have the creeping thought that Lat Murray becomes a wet blanket on Cook's value this year.  Still love Cook don't get me wrong.  Give me Hunt as of today.

Hunt went 1.2 in my dynasty rookie draft his morning. 
Seems high. I could see that pick after a few games to establish his ability. But right now it's probably a reach. That said, of all the rookies he's probably the most likely to contribute immediately so not crazy. 

Users who are viewing this thread