What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Aaron Jones, MIN (6 Viewers)

I chickened out and he's back in my SL over Perriman and Lockett. I hedged by grabbing Boone so I have an additional presence for Monday. If I need a miracle, Jones it is but if I need modest stats, I'll roll Boone if Mattison is out.

I chickened out and he's back in my SL over Perriman and Lockett. I hedged by grabbing Boone so I have an additional presence for Monday. If I need a miracle, Jones it is but if I need modest stats, I'll roll Boone if Mattison is out.
Jones touches are such a wild card with J.Williams and D Adams to compete with. 70 rushing yards and no TDS? Or 40 yards and 3 TDS? I hate AJs floor,  so I prefer the guarantee targets of Perriman.

Last edited by a moderator:
No love for this guy? What an amazing fantasy year he had! Healthy and beastly, a great combination. Let's see how far he can take the packers in the playoffs!

No love for this guy? What an amazing fantasy year he had! Healthy and beastly, a great combination. Let's see how far he can take the packers in the playoffs!
Health was always the concern, and he has shown he can do it. Hes a beast. Once GB gets a competent wr2 his volume in the passing game should go down, but both him and Williams look like a great combo this year and next. 

I don’t know what to make of him yet.  #2 RB but I don’t trust him fully.  Very odd to be the #2 RB in FF but be under 1000 rush yards.  He’s feast or famine.
Have you considered Ockham? That he's a touchdown-dependent guy and you might need to calibrate your expectations next year?

Don't get me wrong, he's no Sony Michel, but a lot of his looks, I've noticed, are inside the five. Indeed, checking ESPN's OTD chart (OTD stands for opportunity-adjusted touchdowns. It is a statistic that weighs every carry/target and converts the data into one number that indicates a player's scoring opportunity. For example, if a player has an OTD of 3.0, it means that a statistically league-average player who saw the same number of carries/targets in the same area of the field would have scored three touchdowns.), he's sixth in the league in opportunity-adjusted points with 272 opportunities, very much in first with 19 TD, sixth with 10 OTD, 13 touches inside the five for fifth in the league, and one end zone target.

IOW, not only is he seeing tons of volume in the red zone, he's actually outperformed his average opportunity-adjusted touchdowns by nine! That's a lot of regression that might be had there.

Caveat emptor next year, but even taking away the touchdowns, he's still in rather elite company. 

• Smile
Reactions: DAG
As far as Opportunity Adjusted Fantasy points, he rates eighth among backs with a OFP of 238 with a FORP (Fantasy Points Over Replacement Player) of 61, which is second in the league to McCaffrey.

Either way, for both these posts, the thing we can most infer, or claim to be true, is that he's getting elite fantasy opportunity and performing way beyond expectations even with that large volume and the quality of his opportunities seen, both of which have been favorable with respect to fantasy points. 

He’s a dynamic RB that’s made the most of his opportunity, seemingly with a fading franchise QB and relatively healthy OL. However he takes an inordinate number of hard hits and gets tackled at more odd body angles than any other RB I can recall watching. Best way I can describe it. Injuries are hard to predict but IMO he’s a hard sell this offseason

As far as Opportunity Adjusted Fantasy points, he rates eighth among backs with a OFP of 238 with a FORP (Fantasy Points Over Replacement Player) of 61, which is second in the league to McCaffrey.

Either way, for both these posts, the thing we can most infer, or claim to be true, is that he's getting elite fantasy opportunity and performing way beyond expectations even with that large volume and the quality of his opportunities seen, both of which have been favorable with respect to fantasy points. 
I don’t question his ability/talent.  I question the regime.  I’m not sure they realize what they have, or maybe they do and aren’t as impressed as I am.  My point is I got him on the cheap in dynasty, as I imagine most did, and  therefore I have other RB talent as well.  I don’t think that despite his high finish I will able to auto-start him every week.  To be fair, I am the king of paralysis by analysis.    How about you...if you have other viable options, do you think Jones is matchup proof yet?

I don’t think he’s matchup proof based on his volatility.  If his floor was higher then I’d say yes.  However, he puts up too many duds for me to set and forget.  

• Smile
Reactions: Hoh
I don’t question his ability/talent.  I question the regime.  I’m not sure they realize what they have, or maybe they do and aren’t as impressed as I am.  My point is I got him on the cheap in dynasty, as I imagine most did, and  therefore I have other RB talent as well.  I don’t think that despite his high finish I will able to auto-start him every week.  To be fair, I am the king of paralysis by analysis.    How about you...if you have other viable options, do you think Jones is matchup proof yet?
No, I don't think he's match-up proof at all. I think he's really touchdown-dependent right now, and that is going to regress to the mean at some point unless the circumstances next year are similar to this one's. I wish I'd drafted him, but considering the next most touchdowns to his is around fifteen, and only two guys have that? He's an RB1 this year solely based on opportunity. 

I wasn't questioning you, really. Just giving some further numbers that are in line with the concerns you expressed. 

Wow am I really getting the sense here that I might be able to buy low on Jones? Based on comments here. I guess I find it hard to believe anyone would want to get rid of him, but maybe I should try to buy.

Wow am I really getting the sense here that I might be able to buy low on Jones? Based on comments here. I guess I find it hard to believe anyone would want to get rid of him, but maybe I should try to buy.
I actually am really just looking at numbers as I only saw Green Bay play three or four times this year, and Jones seemed to be firmly implanted in the end zone all the time. Others that rostered him probably have a better idea of what it's like to have him on your team with the claimed (I'm not sure that's totally correct) variance he brings.  

Before we look forward, let me just say thank you to my man, Aaron Jones.  I’m old enough to have won a championship with AHMAN GREEN and my senile brain still at times confuses the two. 

This year Aaron Jones got enough opportunity and out produced with what he had... HOWever, I do believe a decently sized component of that (over)efficiency was his pure talent. 

That last run won me (and many others) a championship.  And he showed his raw talent that few share, getting a TD in a play most dont. Pretty damn fun to watch, nail biting the way to that breakout. 

But that championship may not have happened without Jones’ games at 15+ points, 6 games 23+, 4 games 27+, and 2 games at 38+!

GB provides him a lot of good opportunities to utilize his talent on a good offense with a very good Qb who commands a lot of defensive focus... all this resulted in efficient production. There was some luck involved, but also very good talent on a good offense put in good positions to be productive. And he was.

Now, looking forward, we can expect some regression... but I won’t assume a regression along the lines of a JAG or JAG+ player in a decent to good situation but some limited usage (which you could argue worked to keep Jones healthy for the most high leverage situations).  

KAMARA is a great example of a really amazing talent in a great but shared situation... and he was top 5 twice in a row.  And then scored two TDS over the course of the fantasy regular season.  Which might we see? I’d not expect 19 TDS, but not what is now 4, either.  10-14 TDs is in the mix along with a good, but not amazing, number of receps and scrimmage yards.  Health is obviously key, and this usage may well be a part of what we saw production wise this year.

This year Aaron Jones got enough opportunity and out produced with what he had... HOWever, I do believe a decently sized component of that (over)efficiency was his pure talent.
Absolutely in agreement with you about how you have to look at talent and efficiency. There are times we should be rewarding guys who are efficient, not fading them because of some regression that may never happen. That's why I said I'd only seen him three or four times and don't know. He looked really good to me, if a bit on the frail side for an every down RB, which he wasn't, ceding work to WIlliams.

FWIW, next year won’t see him taken in the third/fourth round.

Mid second next year - maybe climb into the first depending on expected role etc?  Any lower than mid-second screams huge upside as we saw this year. He was a huge lift at a great value.  Next year value muted unless he’s overlooked*

*also water wet blah blah 

I've watched every one of his games the last two years. For those that believe his value is solely based on opportunity, you need to rethink that. He is closer to Kamara than he is to Blount. If you are going to sell this off-season make sure you are getting top 10 value. Or you probably will be regretting you sold.

I think it's interesting that high touchdown guys are valued lowly based on expected regression but high yardage guys generally aren't.  There were four RBs over 2000 yards last year and all of them were valued exceedingly highly (top 5 overall dynasty players worth 4+ 1st round picks) and only 1 of them came close to repeating that number, and two of them didn't even finish as a top 10 RB this year.

Other than CMC, the other 3 regressed in yardage by anywhere from 500-900 yards, which is the fantasy equivalent of dropping 8 to 15 touchdowns.  So if AJ were able to maintain his yardage/reception totals from this year it would take him dropping 8-15 touchdowns to have the same regression in FF points that Zeke/Kamara/Barkley had this year just in their yardage regression.  Yet no one seemed to be worried about that yardage regression when ranking them where they did entering the offseason.

Jones reminds me a lot of Kamara coming off his rookie year, in that his value (much like Kamara's back then) already has his regression built in.  Even if we were to cut his touchdowns by 65% down to 8 TDs that would still have left him as RB11 this year as a guy with 1500 yards, 50 receptions, 8 TDs.  That's kind of where his value is right now (December ADP has him at RB10).  He was a 24 year old RB that finished as RB2 this year and his asking price is typically that of a mid/late RB, or around 1-2 mid 1sts.  Far from the 4-5 1sts that people were asking for the young RBs that finished that high last year.

So if you're buying right now you're paying ~RB10 prices for a guy who might drop to RB10 production this year, but might surprise (like Kamara did) and maintain his top 5 production for a 2nd consecutive year and see a massive increase in value.

Even when you boil down the stats, I think he gets hurt by having just enough receiving as a chunk of his overall totals to give the inference from his rushing only stats that he’s good or almost really good but not enough yards vs TD to be sustainable or reliable.

He will likely gain nearly 1500 total yards from scrimmage (1415 now) and almost or actually 20 TDs (19 now). Adds nearly 50 catches going into week 17. 

So, a season of 1500 yards with 19+ TDS and 50 receptions (editted for accuracy... jeebuz that good)

It’s almost as if he’s getting flack because he’s been too good at getting TDs. 

Even when you boil down the stats, I think he gets hurt by having just enough receiving as a chunk of his overall totals to give the inference from his rushing only stats that he’s good or almost really good but not enough yards vs TD to be sustainable or reliable.

He will likely rush for nearly 1500 total yards (1415 now) and almost or actually 20 TDs (19 now). Adds nearly 30 catches with 26 going into week 17. 

So, a season of 1500 yards with 19+ TDS and almost 30 receptions. 

It’s almost as if he’s getting flack because he’s been too good at getting TDs. 
He has 47 receptions.

🥴

See, even better
Right.  It's interesting to me.  If he were a 24 year old running back that had just finished with 1500 yards, 50 catches, 10 TDs instead of 1500 yards, 50 catches, 20 TDs I don't think his value would be any different than it is right now.  I wonder if it might even be higher since people wouldn't be as excited to scream "regression!" every time his name popped up.

You look at guys in the past like Fournette, Gordon, Freeman were all considered top dynasty assets after putting up a season of roughly 1500/50/10 at 22-24 years old.  As you mentioned above it's almost like Jones is being punished for scoring too many TDs.

5 weeks he had less than 10 points (0.5 ppr), which is my personal benchmark...others might vary.  That’s too many to be considered plug and chug IMO.

For comparison, Dalvin Cook had 1.  Zeke had 1.  

Henry, Ekeler, Chubb = 3.

I like him.  I’m not selling, but unless I see GB commit to usage more I think I will still be playing matchups with him alongside guys like Drake and Mixon.  I just think that’s an unusual stance regarding a guy who finished #2. It fascinates me.

5 weeks he had less than 10 points (0.5 ppr), which is my personal benchmark...others might vary.  That’s too many to be considered plug and chug IMO.

For comparison, Dalvin Cook had 1.  Zeke had 1.  

Henry, Ekeler, Chubb = 3.

I like him.  I’m not selling, but unless I see GB commit to usage more I think I will still be playing matchups with him alongside guys like Drake and Mixon.  I just think that’s an unusual stance regarding a guy who finished #2. It fascinates me.
Elliott was a top four back, likely top overall if not for the home out, back during draft time. Will likely be top 4 again.  Jones was late 3rd early 4th in many leagues, and probably mid late second next year. 

Elliot went for 25+ once.  Jones did it 5 times. Twice 35+ 

Those huge weeks can’t be discounted, especially with a guy primed to get TDs because they can come in chunks.

That’s why it’s more variable but Jones flat wins more weeks for you, if he may come up with 5 than 13-25 a few more times.

Most of all, if Jones has the 10 time 15+ and huge upside and a floor of 12, he’d be Cook, and better than Elliott.

Why is Jones listed under 1000 yards rushing on ESPN and Pro-Football Reference.com?

I think we're adding his passing totals to his total of 984. He's got over 1500 total yards. This doesn't mean that the subsequent discussion isn't perfectly valid. He's a stud with a weird caveat. A reverse Julio Jones.

To illustrate my own bias, Jones has now helped me win back to back ships in my 96-team dynasty league* and I just took 3rd in the FPC with him. I'm not sure what there is to not love but I'll admit that if he goes late 1st early 2nd next year I may or may not take him there. I sort of prefer WR WR near that first turn. But I have *no* idea how the tiers will look by then. FWIW although he mostly went in the 3rd round in FPC drafts (TE premium), there were a few I saw where people took him in the late 2nd and I started to consider him there myself at the time. I ended up taking him at 3.10 on this 3rd place team. 

*ETA I forgot the asterisk. 96 team dynasty is eight 12 team leagues whose top 4 seeds all combine for a 32 team points race weeks 15-16. Packers stack crushed week 16 two years in a row. 

I think it's interesting that high touchdown guys are valued lowly based on expected regression but high yardage guys generally aren't.  There were four RBs over 2000 yards last year and all of them were valued exceedingly highly (top 5 overall dynasty players worth 4+ 1st round picks) and only 1 of them came close to repeating that number, and two of them didn't even finish as a top 10 RB this year.
In my experience yards are more sticky year over year compared to TD so it is only natural to not expect those numbers to repeat in 2020 while if the player is gaining yards, that is something more sustainable in general,

Now Aaron Jones has 1415 combined yards over 15 games. So this is on pace for 1509 combined yards over 16 games or 94 total yards per game.

That is good and with the TD its great for fantasy but that is still 500 yards shy of the 2k club you are talking about from last season.

This is a new offense for the Packers. In times past the RB wouldn't score so many TD. Rodgers like Favre was throwing the ball in the red zone more often and also a history of splitting time with another RB which has happened with Jones at times this season still despite him clearly performing at a higher level than Williams.

So maybe the TD rate is something that is sustainable for Jones next season. It is harder to project anything but fewer TD for Jones next season given how many TD he had this season.

How I would try to project for that would be based on career TD rate per game which for Jones is .82 which itself right now is very high. Good TD scorers are usually only slightly better than .5 TD per game, so I am just recognizing that and it is going to produce a projection that is very near to 1 TD per game for Jones.

At this rate over 16 games would mean a projected 13 TD for Jones in 2020 which obviously is fewer than he scored this year (regression to the mean) but still very high as far as projecting for TD goes.

Love the guy.  TD's won't be 20ish next year, but I'm assuming the coaching staff wisens up and gives him more touches.  

Sad thing is--he was such a value in the 3rd round this year--youll have to pay the full 1st round price tag next season.

Aaron Jones rushed 21 times for 62 yards and two touchdowns in the Packers' 28-23, Divisional round win over the Seahawks.

Tyler Ervin (two) and Jamaal Williams (one) combined for just three carries. The yards weren't there for Jones, but he did punch in a pair of one-yard touchdown runs in the second quarter to stake the Packers to a 21-3 lead at the break. Jones now has 21 touchdowns on the year. He'll get a stiff test against the Niners in the NFC title game. Jones rushed 13 times for 38 scoreless yards in Week 12 against San Francisco.

Jan 12, 2020, 10:05 PM ET

Aaron Jones rushed 12 times for 56 yards and a touchdown in the Packers' NFC Championship Game loss to the 49ers, adding five receptions for 27 yards and an additional score.

With Jones' latest two-score effort, he closes the book on 2019-20 with 23 touchdowns in 18 games. His 19 regular season scores were tied for the second most in Packers history, an amazing feat with a franchise this storied. Although still treated as more of a 1A back than true workhorse, Jones confirmed years of belief from analysts that he was capable of being one of the most productive running backs in football. Dangerous in space as a runner, Jones is a legitimate game-breaker as a pass catcher. Headed into the final year of his rookie deal, Jones' contract could be a summer imbroglio. Absent a holdout, Jones will be worth a first-round pick in every format of fantasy.

Jan 19, 2020, 9:55 PM ET

ESPN's Rob Demovsky reports the Packers are scheduled to meet with Aaron Jones' agent to begin discussions on a new deal.

Currently set to make $2.19 million on the final year of his contract, Jones and the Packers are clearly getting ahead of what could be an intriguing situation to monitor this summer. Entering merely his age-26 season, Jones' 19 regular season touchdowns were tied for the second-most in Green Bay's historic franchise history last year, which not so coincidently occurred on a career-high 285 touches. Barring blatant signs of an impending holdout, Jones will undoubtedly come off draft boards as a first-round pick in Best-Ball leagues throughout the spring.

SOURCE: Rob Demovsky on Twitter

Feb 28, 2020, 12:31 PM ET

I fear the regression is coming, just doesn't seem like 19 TDs is sustainable. To the point, right or wrong, that I was offered him in a PPR league for Godwin, and I rejected.  :shrug:

I fear the regression is coming, just doesn't seem like 19 TDs is sustainable. To the point, right or wrong, that I was offered him in a PPR league for Godwin, and I rejected.  :shrug:
I like Jones a lot, even with some regression, but I absolutely would keep Godwin.

I told him if he'd add the 1.7 rookie pick I'd do it (because I need a RB) but he refused. So yeah, I'm keeping Godwin. Man his future with Arians looks VERY bright...
….as long as they get a decent QB to throw to him...…..There is a non-zero chance that he takes a downgrade at QB from the fantasy perspective. 

I said last offseason that it was a good time to sell Jones, and I was dead wrong. His value is way higher now. Especially if they are offering him a long term deal. In general I wouldn't blame anyone for selling Jones off after last year. 19 TDs is not very sustainable and is very volatile. I think this is baked into his current value though... I don't see him being valued where he finished last year. 

I think he has a good 2020, likely finishes as a RB1 again, but probably lower. RB2 at worst. If you can get a decent return for him, I don't blame anyone for selling, but I wouldn't go out and buy him either. 

Keep in mind- GB should be upgrading their RB situation, and Jace looks good at TE. The reason Jones got so many looks in the passing game is because for a while they had literally no one, or just one guy. With more weapons, the targets should undoubtedly come from Jones. 

I said last offseason that it was a good time to sell Jones, and I was dead wrong. His value is way higher now. Especially if they are offering him a long term deal. In general I wouldn't blame anyone for selling Jones off after last year. 19 TDs is not very sustainable and is very volatile. I think this is baked into his current value though... I don't see him being valued where he finished last year. 

I think he has a good 2020, likely finishes as a RB1 again, but probably lower. RB2 at worst. If you can get a decent return for him, I don't blame anyone for selling, but I wouldn't go out and buy him either. 

Keep in mind- GB should be upgrading their RB situation, and Jace looks good at TE. The reason Jones got so many looks in the passing game is because for a while they had literally no one, or just one guy. With more weapons, the targets should undoubtedly come from Jones
Which really makes no sense from a matchup standpoint.  He was a mismatch and was really good.  It should be relied on more not less.....but I am sure you are right and it will be less work in the passing game from him. 

Which really makes no sense from a matchup standpoint.  He was a mismatch and was really good.  It should be relied on more not less.....but I am sure you are right and it will be less work in the passing game from him. 
It doesn't make sense... and I could very well be wrong. I always approach this kind of stuff from a pie chart perspective... 

Davante Adams was on pace for 168 targets last year, so that would have been 2 years in a row, so I feel comfortable projecting 170 in 2021. So let's look at the rest keeping in mind we would give Adams another 40 targets from this group (Adams had 127 last year) 

Jones: 68
Graham: 60 (FA)
MVS: 56
Allison: 55 (FA)
Lazard: 52
J. Williams:45
Other: 78 (includes 2 TEs, Kumerow, and a FB getting the majority) 

112 for the RBs is a lot. But it worked. It's possible this is how LaFleur wants his offense to run. 

Lazard should see an uptick... I think he deserves it and will be the WR2. Allison should be gone. Make room for a new rookie. I would give 25 of his targets to Lazard, bumping him up to 77 targets with 30 left over in the "open" category"

Graham, Lewis, Tonyan's targets are interesting. I would expect some backup TEs to be involved to some degree, but I am not sure I see backups getting 20 and 15 targets each. If Sternberger can be a solid TE target, I think he can get about 50 targets himself, and then the backups have about 12 each. This frees up 23 targets. 

MVS won't go away unless a rookie comes in and bumps him down. I see that happening if GB takes a WR in the first 2 rounds. In that case MVS could see a small decrease to 45 targets. 

So that leaves 64 targets open... keep in mind 40 need to go to Adams... I'm not sure that makes a lot of sense with adding a rookie WR. 

I am just speculating, but if you add a rookie WR, especially one drafted in the first 2 rounds, I think it's safe to say that person would get 45 targets in this offense. It's possible some targets come from Adams, but I am not going to make my bet based on that... because it seems like a bad bet based on the last 2 years. Rodgers is keyed in on him, and the guy gets 10+ targets per game. 

Williams seems like a good option, but LaFleur is on record stating he likes Jones mixed in with Williams, so I would only say that if the RBs were to lose targets it would be equally distributed from both. 

I would expect about 50-60 targets for Jones this year... I think that's reasonable and still a great option for fantasy. It all depends on GB selecting a WR in the first 2 rounds. If they pass until the 4th or 5th then I think it's more likely a rookie WR wouldn't be looking at a bigger piece of the pie. 

It doesn't make sense... and I could very well be wrong. I always approach this kind of stuff from a pie chart perspective... 

Davante Adams was on pace for 168 targets last year, so that would have been 2 years in a row, so I feel comfortable projecting 170 in 2021. So let's look at the rest keeping in mind we would give Adams another 40 targets from this group (Adams had 127 last year) 

Jones: 68
Graham: 60 (FA)
MVS: 56
Allison: 55 (FA)
Lazard: 52
J. Williams:45
Other: 78 (includes 2 TEs, Kumerow, and a FB getting the majority) 

112 for the RBs is a lot. But it worked. It's possible this is how LaFleur wants his offense to run. 

Lazard should see an uptick... I think he deserves it and will be the WR2. Allison should be gone. Make room for a new rookie. I would give 25 of his targets to Lazard, bumping him up to 77 targets with 30 left over in the "open" category"

Graham, Lewis, Tonyan's targets are interesting. I would expect some backup TEs to be involved to some degree, but I am not sure I see backups getting 20 and 15 targets each. If Sternberger can be a solid TE target, I think he can get about 50 targets himself, and then the backups have about 12 each. This frees up 23 targets. 

MVS won't go away unless a rookie comes in and bumps him down. I see that happening if GB takes a WR in the first 2 rounds. In that case MVS could see a small decrease to 45 targets. 

So that leaves 64 targets open... keep in mind 40 need to go to Adams... I'm not sure that makes a lot of sense with adding a rookie WR. 

I am just speculating, but if you add a rookie WR, especially one drafted in the first 2 rounds, I think it's safe to say that person would get 45 targets in this offense. It's possible some targets come from Adams, but I am not going to make my bet based on that... because it seems like a bad bet based on the last 2 years. Rodgers is keyed in on him, and the guy gets 10+ targets per game. 

Williams seems like a good option, but LaFleur is on record stating he likes Jones mixed in with Williams, so I would only say that if the RBs were to lose targets it would be equally distributed from both. 

I would expect about 50-60 targets for Jones this year... I think that's reasonable and still a great option for fantasy. It all depends on GB selecting a WR in the first 2 rounds. If they pass until the 4th or 5th then I think it's more likely a rookie WR wouldn't be looking at a bigger piece of the pie. 
Everything you said makes sense.  My issue is with the coaches moving away from utilizing Jones more in the passing game.  He was a mismatch that gave the Packers a big advantage.  When they through to him down the field on wheel routes and seam routes he was open and made big plays.  I just don't understand why they didn't try it every game. 

I told him if he'd add the 1.7 rookie pick I'd do it (because I need a RB) but he refused. So yeah, I'm keeping Godwin. Man his future with Arians looks VERY bright...
That’s a super fair price for Godwin. I see him going around the turn in startups. 

I agree with your methodology on this but I think the depth chart is going to churn more than you are saying here. I think they draft a stud WR early. They need to. As deep as the class is it wouldn't be terrible to draft two. I know they've taken many in recent drafts, but I just don't think Lazard and Allison are what they want or need. If they actually do go out and get Austin Hooper, their offense is going to look completely different from a targets piechart perspective. Adams gets 170 because he is their dominant #1 WR and that's how that's going to be. But Lazard and Allison will be getting scraps behind the new rookie and Hooper (if he goes there, who knows if he does). To be clear, if they don't get Hooper, I am still saying this early rookie will ascend and take the #2 spot. 

Either way, I really don't know what that means for Jones but I do think they will want to continue to use him as a receiver. I also think the emergence of new passing game weapons only makes Rodgers and the entire offense more dangerous, which only *increases* Jones TD potential. But I would say that is in a general sense as a positive regression from the mean, which still leaves room for being a negative regression from last year. He could have 15 TDs easy. 

I agree with your methodology on this but I think the depth chart is going to churn more than you are saying here. I think they draft a stud WR early. They need to. As deep as the class is it wouldn't be terrible to draft two. I know they've taken many in recent drafts, but I just don't think Lazard and Allison are what they want or need. If they actually do go out and get Austin Hooper, their offense is going to look completely different from a targets piechart perspective. Adams gets 170 because he is their dominant #1 WR and that's how that's going to be. But Lazard and Allison will be getting scraps behind the new rookie and Hooper (if he goes there, who knows if he does). To be clear, if they don't get Hooper, I am still saying this early rookie will ascend and take the #2 spot. 

Either way, I really don't know what that means for Jones but I do think they will want to continue to use him as a receiver. I also think the emergence of new passing game weapons only makes Rodgers and the entire offense more dangerous, which only *increases* Jones TD potential. But I would say that is in a general sense as a positive regression from the mean, which still leaves room for being a negative regression from last year. He could have 15 TDs easy. 
I agree with them taking a wr very early, I'm just not sure he ends up the starter this season or right away. We dont see that very often in general in the NFL... or maybe just as Packer fans we dont see that often. Even Adams was third string for a while as a 2nd rounder. I cant remember the last rookie who went right into a wr2 role... maybe Jordy Nelson? Javon Walker?

I think you misinterpreted my targets list- that was the 2019 targets. I am Wanticipating Allison to not be resigned. Lazard was great last year and got Rodgers trust. MVS will stick around but be buried as wr4 at best. I still think a wr4 can get 40 targets or so in that offense. enough to make it frustrating for the wr2 owners 

Users who are viewing this thread