What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

TE Jonnu Smith, Miami (1 Viewer)

Watched again. Smith didn't win on blocks several times. I saw the ones that were awesome, I didn't misspeak earlier, it's just I missed the ones he missed. He is playing like a tackle. I'm not sure if I expect him to always win those. There's no doubt they made it as easy as possible on Conklin's return. On many snaps, Kline and Smith make contact with a DL in front of them and Conklin seems to pick and choose who to help. I thought this is usually the case with the C and T against a 3-4 and all I had to do was slide back and see it there with Lewan and Jones with Spain helping. If the rusher goes inside Smith, he pushes him and does nothing. I watched a few times. I think he's thinking "Got him Jack?" Of course, I don't like no one picking up the DE but I'm not wholly sure that those were on Smith. Aside from the six or so where he did little but push to the side, I thought it was fairly good day for a Tackle. 

He's not a tackle and Conklin is AllPro quality. He's no helper type. He's the real deal. Without a doubt, this will change. There just is no way the plan is to minimize Conklin rather than have him do his thing. I'm very confident that was just first game get your feet wet stuff. 

Thanks Bri I haven't been able to watch any Titans games yet.

I know what you are talking about as far as passing pass rushers off and how communication and chemistry can cause bad plays.

I usually see it from the center. But this happens with Te too.

• Smile
Reactions: Bri
Mariota didn't pass to a wide open Smith yesterday and he looked at him. PK posted the video on twitter. MM8 wasn't getting burned two weeks in a row ...but then he did since Williams dropped it.

Smith had two routes early and then blocked an awful lot.

An awful game plan and if you forget week 4, we're looking at the second awful OC the Titans have had and ..Smith is stinking.

LaFleur is so young and so inexperienced, the Titans are about to be so dopey for bringing him on. I am here hoping that week 4 was the norm and this OC will get it together but he has the same prob as Vrabel and the same prob as Robiske- he thinks he's bigger than the players. The number of "cute" plays this year is so high it's absurd. A team should be gimmicky every now and then, not as the norm. How much do they practice that stuff? and how much do they practice the regular O?  Poor Mariota and all the other young guys, ya just gotta feel for them if we're gonna have another stinker. Please let week 4 be the norm, please let week 4 be the norm.....

Jonnu Smith caught 3-of-3 targets for 45 yards and a touchdown in the Titans' Week 10 win over the Patriots.

He still hasn't topped three targets in a game all year, but the Titans are designing plays for Smith in scoring position, and he now has red-zone TDs in consecutive weeks. Even in a plus Week 11 matchup against the Colts, Smith will remain a touchdown-or-bust streamer option on low volume.

Nov 11 - 5:35 PM

Never have seen him play before today and was impressed. Not a huge game but is a beast to bring down. Titans should try to get him the ball more often.

Jonnu was chatty with reporters after and said he finally feels comfortable. He felt like switching to Delanie's role was something he could do no problem but during the games it became so much, so many little things that he wound up focusing on them and getting lost. Last week, he stepped, blocked, turned and the shovel was there and it just hit him- he finally had Delanie's awareness or at least he's getting there. Delanie said my boy's coming along, he's getting it.

It's probably time to give this guy a second chance. His play seemed to mirror what he was saying and it just sort of fits

I picked him up in 3-4 leagues out of  desperation last week after the last minute Gronk announcement.  I dropped him this week, because Gronk would be back.  LOL.  

He's been chilling on the FA in my dynasty league.  Hoping to get him off waivers.

Jonnu Smith caught both of his targets for 63 yards and a touchdown in the Titans' Week 12 loss to the Texans.

Smith caught his first target for a gain on two then was left completely uncovered in the middle of the field, caught a short pass and ran virtually untouched straight up the middle for a 61-yard score in the first quarter. He curiously wasn't heard from again. Smith has seen his role increased in recent weeks with Taywan Taylor (foot) out, but he's still very unreliable as a TE2.

Nov 26 - 11:41 PM

Adam Schefter‏  @AdamSchefter 19m19 minutes ago

Titans’ TE Jonnu Smith is going to miss the rest of the season with an mcl injury, per source.

Jonnu Smith (knee) isn't expected to be ready for the start of Tennessee's offseason program.

Smith is still recovering from last year's torn MCL. It's a concern he's still not over what should have been a short-term injury, but the Titans have no reason to rush him back. Delanie Walker (ankle) is also questionable for the start of OTAs.

SOURCE: titansonline.com

Apr 13, 2019, 7:52 AM

Jonnu Smith (knee) was sidelined to start OTAs.

Smith was only able to get in work with the jugs machine, but this is expected after tearing his MCL last season. With no reason to rush back, expect Smith to take it slow this offseason before ramping up his work right before the season.

SOURCE: Turron Davenport on Twitter

May 21, 2019, 2:17 PM ET

The Titans' official website considers Jonnu Smith (knee) questionable for Week 1.

It's a bit of a surprise since Smith "only" tore his MCL, but he has yet to practice this offseason. The No. 100 overall pick of the 2017 draft went down last Week 14. Perhaps he is a candidate for the reserve/PUP list, which would cost six games. Smith would be something of a TE2 dark horse behind an aging/rehabbing Delanie Walker, but it will all come down to his health.

SOURCE: titansonline.com

Jul 16, 2019, 1:58 PM ET

About ready to cut bait on this guy.  Thoughts?
It depends on your league obviously as far as if another team would pick him up if you drop him and how valuable TE are in your league.

For this season it looks like Walker will be back and Smith will be his back up once he is healthy. This looks like very low value for Smith this season unless Walker is hurt again or Smith somehow surpasses him.

Smith certainly showed flashes of what he could do as the starter. He had 3 games in a row which were good for fantasy purposes. Then of course immediately following that he got injured.

Personally I really like Smith and I would try to find a way to keep him on my roster, but I wouldn't really plan on him entering my line up this season. If you can use the roster spot for something better then that is a decision you have to make.

About ready to cut bait on this guy.  Thoughts?
It's not usually competitive to pickup backup TEs. I agree, but I would be sure to grab him back in December.

After some good moments as a rookie, struggles in-between, the light went on before he tore his MCL He looks like he'll be a fine TE for many years. I don't know that he'll be special and put up Tony G or Gronk numbers but he should be fine and that will be nice to have in dynasty.

Not unless something changed. It was a slight tear of his MCL not super dramatic. Post surgery, knees swell after workouts and then they just sort of get used to it and don't swell often anymore. Usually the spring is to get this over with, while trainers are close by. 

The Titans met with a real lot of TEs this offseason and signed almost none of them. When they go two TE, he is the blocking TE. They'd have signed someone significant if this story were true or were easily anticipated. 

I'll ask and get back later today or tomorrow

Last edited by a moderator:
Jonnu running a sincere 40 on sideline several times. During a break he ran same 40 then cut across the field, all full speed with stop watches and all.

I think him on PUP is more patience and bringing him back in a certain way.

The speed is there. Maybe they had a concern of cutting and that's why they had him go across the field? 

Whatever is going on, it's not typical and I still have zero worry he is available week one.

My concern for him is still a 3WR offense and Delanie ahead of him. Maybe they use 2TE the first four games against top teams, but ...he really should be a backup for one more year

well, got way lucky in my 14 team 22 deep dyno.  have witten and need two viable tes to plan for the future.

1.14    Howard, O.J. TBB TE    3:30:05 a.m.
2.11    Conner, James PIT RB    5:26:21 p.m.
3.10    Butt, Jake DEN TE    8:25:38 a.m.
3.12    Kittle, George SFO TE    9:25:26 a.m.
7.03    Williams, Chad ARI WR    11:24:51 p.m.

jonnu is on the wire, thinking of dropping kittle.
Hope you didn't. Dynasty is funny

Titans activated TE Jonnu Smith (knee) from the active/PUP list.

Smith was cleared for side work last Monday. Now he can finally participate in 11-on-11 drills. The third-year pro was making some noise before going down last December with a torn MCL. Although still a vaguely intriguing dynasty league asset, Smith is off the re-draft radar with Delanie Walker back to full health.

Aug 19, 2019, 1:45 PM ET

Mike Vrabel: “Jonnu’s one of my favorite players on this team. I don’t have favorites, but he’s one of my favorites.”
I can understand why Vrabel would like him. Cut from similar cloth as a player who can do a lot of things well.

He's now off the PUP.  Any insight?
I hate waiting on him to do something.  I probably have less patience with TEs long term, except for guys like Goddert and Henry (if I had him).  Now that Walker is back, how long do you think it will take, if ever, for Smith to amount to anything?  Is that worth a roster spot in leagues with 24 roster spots?  If yes, for how long?

I hate waiting on him to do something.  I probably have less patience with TEs long term, except for guys like Goddert and Henry (if I had him).  Now that Walker is back, how long do you think it will take, if ever, for Smith to amount to anything?  Is that worth a roster spot in leagues with 24 roster spots?  If yes, for how long?
For me, he's a cut at 24.  I've got him currently on an IDP 53 spots roster.  I need something to happen this preseason or I'm letting him go.

He's now off the PUP.  Any insight?
I've talked a lot about him this week and most people that cover the Titans are annoyed with the info they receive from the team. There are no rules, though, on reporting injuries in preseason. Teams can lie left and right if they want and Vrabel helped write the current CBA so...the updates just stink.

I wouldn't roster him in FF or dynasty. Delanie has started talking of retirement and he never did almost like it'd curse his game, so...maybe he does. Everyone was happily wrong and Delanie seems like he'll play forever until the day he retires. 

Jonnu is what ya want. He finally got comfy as a receiver last year and showed it all in a few games. He's a questionable in-line blocker and exceptional down field blocker, but for FF- he showed ya last year that he has "it."

In May or so, he spoke of hoping to beat Delanie out for his spot (in the most respectful way, you ever heard) and that was interesting to hear. He's sat ever since though, so there's no chance that happens. 

The Titans have switched to a 3 WR offense and used to play two and three TE's for more than 80 percent of the game. The TE snaps will go dramatically down in a way people probably haven't seen in decades. It's possible the 3 WR offense flops and they go with two TE Henry sled-dog offense, but I doubt it. OC Smith looks sharp and everyone in the passing game looks better. Ya know how you talk of something happening but when it's about to happen you realize how wrong you were before? That's how it feels now with the Titans finally having a balanced offense. We were all foolish before to think they would. This, right now, is how it should be. 

The slot and TE don't usually both flourish. The Pats can move Edelman outside or Gronk to the slot and make it work- teams can do that, but unless there's a change they both don't usually flourish. 

Humphries is so good. He's welker or edelman or ...he is so automatic at getting a short quick pass from the slot. (Logan Ryan had a great interview comparing him to Edelman and other WRs over the years.) I don't know how Delanie and Humphries fit in together and yet keep the middle of the field uncrowded. HOWEVER (and this is the big point) there is no room for Jonnu. Smith is going to have to orchestrate some great symbiotic relationship between Delanie and Humphries. It's probably impossible to add Jonnu to that. 3 guys over the middle? Any zone could stop that with ease.

The Titans are dealing with Lewan's suspension by having him share time between the first and second team. There are some reports of him playing TE on some gimmicky plays. This would be another guy in Jonnu's way if these actually made it into an NFL game and weren't just practice fodder. Ya gotta wonder about risking an all pro out of position and if it's worth it. 

BUT BUT BUT I would say Jonnu is better than most every backup TE except maybe Goedert. He is very good but if FF is all about opportunity, he has none.

Titans TE Jonnu Smith caught 3-of-3 targets for 64 yards in the Titans' Week 7 win over the Chargers.

Smith hasn't been a fantasy option this year, but he may enter the streaming conversation if Delanie Walker, who left the game early with an ankle injury, misses next week. Smith gets the Bucs next week, who have been funneling yards in the air in 2019.

Oct 20, 2019, 8:39 PM ET

If your TE is injured/on Bye he's a great plug-and-play option. Delanie Walker is out and Smith is a 6'3 SPARQ freak facing a team who gives up the 2nd most fantasy points to TEs.

Rotoworld:

Delanie Walker (ankle) has been ruled out for the Titans' Week 8 matchup against the Buccaneers.

Walker re-aggravated the same ankle that ended his season in 2018. This opens the door for Jonnu Smith to take on an even larger role. The Titans' SPARQ-plug backup TE had played between 42-68% of the offense's snaps in Weeks 1-7 before posting a season-high 83% snap rate in Week 7. Smith has flashed big-play ability for the position during his short three-year career, although stat lines of 6-44-0, 5-21-0, 2-20-0 and 2-22-0 in four career games with more than three targets don't demonstrate a massive ceiling. Still, a matchup with the league's 31st-ranked defense in PPR per game allowed to the TE position is tough to ignore.

SOURCE: Jim Wyatt on Twitter.

Oct 25, 2019, 3:05 PM ET

Worth picking up over Ben Watson or Jacob Hollister? Only the latter?
Both.

Jonnu Smith is an impressive player in my opinion. I may like him too much for playing the defensive side of the ball a bit in college (well). He seems like a TE who can do every thing well. He just is blocked by Walker. That obstacle seems to be fading.

I can't speak for knowing the Titans O, but I know Ryan Tannehill and in Miami he ran an offense with Charles Clay as a frequent target. He likes to go to the TE and unless Corey Davis or  AJ Brown are busting out I can't see him not targeting Jonnu 5-6 times.

Just looked at every TB box score and the TE matchup is more than real. This D has been roasted by TEs.

Very tempted to replace slumping Z. Ertz with J. Smith, but that could be some serious over thinking. The data says do it.

I've got him in two lineups this week and feel good about it.

Watch for the shovel pass at the goal line, they love to run that play.

Users who are viewing this thread