Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Tarik Cohen - RB - CHI

JFS171

3 hours ago, Milkman said:

Hated the usage tonight. Just thought I'd share. Hopefully they are just hiding him but I'm not sure..... it might be a bunch of Howard and a sprinkling of Cohen. 

It is week 2 of the preseason. While not nothing, it’s not really something either. 

In a real game if  the Bears are down they’re going to throw the ball to Cohen. On long sustained drives, they’re going to utilize Cohen.

again - preseason is not nothing. But I wouldn’t read into anything here for Cohen’s usage since he’s a gadget player & week 2 preseason is generally a pretty vanilla offense. 

Edited by Hot Sauce Guy
  • Like 1

On 8/17/2018 at 5:47 PM, Casting Couch said:

He's 5'6" and 180 soaking wet.

Any who thinks he's taking over the lead role are out of their collective skulls. He's a gadget guy. Nothing more, nothing less.

Define gadget player. 

If Darren sproles is/was a gadget player, ok.  But I'll gladly take that at his ADP. He's not Kamara or McCaffery but not as far off as their ADP suggests.

On 8/17/2018 at 6:16 PM, mcintyre1 said:

I'm not sure I could disagree more this assessment. Cohen's speed isn't quite up there with Hill, but his agility is top notch. Most of his good plays his rookie year were on runs to the outside.

I know this is selective memory but it sure seemed like many of his big plays were called back for various reasons. 

9 hours ago, Milkman said:

Hated the usage tonight. Just thought I'd share. Hopefully they are just hiding him but I'm not sure..... it might be a bunch of Howard and a sprinkling of Cohen. 

Preseason offenses - especially in all but Week 3 - are usually very vanilla.

18 hours ago, -OZ- said:

Define gadget player. 

If Darren sproles is/was a gadget player, ok.  But I'll gladly take that at his ADP. He's not Kamara or McCaffery but not as far off as their ADP suggests.

I know this is selective memory but it sure seemed like many of his big plays were called back for various reasons. 

Cohen should be miles behind Kamara and McCaffery. He does not generate enough weekly fantasy points to warrant a spot in a fantasy starting lineups.

Players who produce consistent weekly points, will win titles for their owners. Cohen does not come close to providing this. He is a BYE week filler, nothing more. (I own this guy in 2 of my 4 dynasty leagues)

On 8/19/2018 at 7:50 AM, Stuart Ullman said:

Like I've said before, the closest comparison of sustained success to this guy is Darren Sproles.

No way in hell am I relying on this guy for production on a weekly basis. There's suddenly a lot of mouths to feed in Chicago.

One could interpret last year as a result of force feeding. They had nobody. He shouldn't play the slot as much in 2018 considering the additions at WR; and I don't see him forcing Howard off the field except in obvious passing downs. For a running back, he's not particularly good at running the ball except when he given a clear lane in space. 

• Like 1

in 10 weeks last year, chris thompson averaged 80 yards/game.

he did that on about 10 touches per.

cohen saw almost 9 touches per last year and even though he's a tad lighter than thompson, i don't think it's unreasonable to see chris thompson 2017 as his ceiling, especially if the new coaches play around a bit more on offense than the previous regime.

This is pretty simple for me, especially in PPR leagues (in standard, yeah probably not worth anything more than a late round dart). 

The first three weeks of the season last year, Cohen had 20 catches and 24 carries for a total of 283 yards and a TD (also had a fumble).  He nearly scored the game winning TD over the Steelers in OT, but was ruled out of bounds.  Howard punched it in after that. 

The rest of the season saw 9 games of fewer than double digit touches.  Maybe defenses caught on to how Fox and Loggains were using him early on, or maybe they just went in a different direction.  Maybe Cohen got banged up.  Regardless, I wouldn't exactly call Loggains and Fox a "creative" duo on offense.  Certainly wouldn't call them savants.

Is Matt Nagy?  I'm not sure.  I don't think he can be any worse though.  Fox is Fisher-esque in his offensive suppression, and always has been.  The only time he had serious success in the NFL was with Peyton Manning running the entire offense in Denver.  Maybe Cohen is just a gadget player, or maybe he's the next Tyreek Hill waiting to be unleashed.  He's not as fast as Hill nor quite the receiver, but he's a better runner than Hill.  Seems like a worthwhile bet to make to me.

31 minutes ago, strong said:

another preseason game and another quiet box score for tarik.

considering how involved he's been in practice and training camp, i think it's pretty obvious the bears are protecting him and playing hide the 8 ball with their gameplan.

Cohen and the rest of the Bears starters didn't play today.  But I agree completely, he's going to be used a lot more than people think this year.  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
5 minutes ago, BobbyLayne said:

Anybody rolling with him Week 1 versus a weak Packers LB corps?

Since McKinnon is out and Mack is hurt, I'll have to roll with Cohen as my RB2 in one of my leagues this week. Hope he goes off.

30 minutes ago, dickey moe said:

Since McKinnon is out and Mack is hurt, I'll have to roll with Cohen as my RB2 in one of my leagues this week. Hope he goes off.

Starting him over Kerryon in the Flex with Jeffery sidelined. Or maybe I’m starting Hyde over Kerryon & Cohen is my RB2. :unsure:

Edited by BobbyLayne

I am in full on wait and see mode with Cohen.  Not getting to see him do anything to stand out in the pre-season has made me even more concerned about his usage than I was already.  In the two leagues I have him, i have the luxury of waiting to see how he is used and if he truly becomes fantasy relevant and a consistent point producer and key part of that offense.

I am a fan for sure, but he is not the typical back and the Bears offense seems like it has a whole lot of potential mouths to feed and i have no idea how the food will be split.

Fingers crossed.

• 2 weeks later...
7 minutes ago, strong said:

i am losing faith but i remember cutting dion lewis early last year when it looked like he wouldn't be involved... 

i'm gonna hold a couple more weeks but i'm not thrilled with how little he's being used.

I'm very disappointed (and surprised). I really bought into the idea that Nagy had big plans for him. So far, that's not been the case. Disappointed in Nagy for that matter. 

2 minutes ago, RushHour said:

I'm very disappointed (and surprised). I really bought into the idea that Nagy had big plans for him. So far, that's not been the case. Disappointed in Nagy for that matter. 

Same and also have been thinking with the way the Chiefs offense looks that I've seriously overrated Nagy's offensive mind.

Why not get him going in the passing game, that’s were he does the best work. I have him in multiple leagues and really thought he would be good but if your gonna give him 6-10 carries and 2 targets he’s not gonna be good. Give him 5 carries and 5+ targets

9 hours ago, RushHour said:

Cohen doesn't seems to be that good to me. He runs around and gets nowhere. I think Chicago is better off using Gabriel more. Gabriel seems to know how to make the most of his touches. 

Perhaps there is a reason Nagy doesn't use Cohen more.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Tarik Cohen rushed 13 times for 53 yards while corralling 7-of-8 targets for 121 yards and one touchdown in Sunday's Week 4 win over the Bucs.

This type of performance was always in Cohen's range of outcomes. What really stood out, though, was that Cohen out-touched Jordan Howard 20-11 and was involved early and often in the Bears' offensive game plan. Not only did he lead the club in targets, Cohen also led Chicago's backfield in carries, getting involved well before the offense erupted for a 38-3 lead heading into the half. It was admittedly a day where everything just went right for the Bears, led by Mitchell Trubisky's career-high six touchdown tosses. Everything seems to be clicking for Chicago heading into the team's Week 5 bye, and better days seem to be ahead for Cohen if kept involved. If you were thinking about dropping him, that's no longer an option.

Sep 30 - 4:22 PM

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
11 minutes ago, Hawkeye21 said:

This thread got pretty quiet without all the complaining.

Tends to happen. Still had a 20 point game for me, but was definitely more lucky in that regard given usage.

I'm interested in why the usage shifted so dramatically -- I was never one to complain about Cohen's lack of usage, as Howard is a solid back with a skill set CHI (and any team) needs by himself and in relation to complimenting Cohen. So seeing Howard get the rock 22 times isn't shocking. It's what he was built to do.

More interested in the why. Was Cohen getting looks early and not getting it done? Was it game plan/script (were the Bears up early or looking controlling on wither/both O and D)? I know the Jets have had trouble with the run over the last few weeks, so was CHI specifically focusing on ground and pound early and often? Cohen's YPC was still pretty nice, but only got 5 attempts, and definitely benefited from one long rip of ~21 yards.

Also troubling seems to be Cohen's lack of usage in the pass game -- one reception off of just 3 targets. That one catch was a doozy, a 70 yarder and a TD (busted coverage? Did Cohen create?). Why were the receivers getting so many more targets (Gabriel 6 targets, Bellamy 5, Miller 7, Burton 4, even Kevin White with 3). 

Will go through the game thread, but looking to hear others' thoughts on the above and what this means for Cohen -- for himself, and in relation to Howard -- going forward ROS. 

On ‎10‎/‎15‎/‎2018 at 8:18 PM, Milkman said:

He doesn't take a lot of big shots. Not anymore concerned about his health than any other standard RB. More concerned with usage. Nagy has shown he's hesitant to lean on Cohen consistently. 

That's ^^^^^^^^ what happened......bears offense struggled too because of the lack of Cohen usage......

25 minutes ago, Stompin' Tom Connors said:

Tends to happen. Still had a 20 point game for me, but was definitely more lucky in that regard given usage.

I'm interested in why the usage shifted so dramatically -- I was never one to complain about Cohen's lack of usage, as Howard is a solid back with a skill set CHI (and any team) needs by himself and in relation to complimenting Cohen. So seeing Howard get the rock 22 times isn't shocking. It's what he was built to do.

More interested in the why. Was Cohen getting looks early and not getting it done? Was it game plan/script (were the Bears up early or looking controlling on wither/both O and D)? I know the Jets have had trouble with the run over the last few weeks, so was CHI specifically focusing on ground and pound early and often? Cohen's YPC was still pretty nice, but only got 5 attempts, and definitely benefited from one long rip of ~21 yards.

Also troubling seems to be Cohen's lack of usage in the pass game -- one reception off of just 3 targets. That one catch was a doozy, a 70 yarder and a TD (busted coverage? Did Cohen create?). Why were the receivers getting so many more targets (Gabriel 6 targets, Bellamy 5, Miller 7, Burton 4, even Kevin White with 3). 

Will go through the game thread, but looking to hear others' thoughts on the above and what this means for Cohen -- for himself, and in relation to Howard -- going forward ROS. 

The 70 yard TD was a screen pass when the jets blitzed so perfect call. Had 40 yards on the ground as well so solid game, I woulda expected more targets in the passing game as well but Howard was doing decent running the game so stuck with that instead

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Bfrahm3 said:

The 70 yard TD was a screen pass when the jets blitzed so perfect call. Had 40 yards on the ground as well so solid game, I woulda expected more targets in the passing game as well but Howard was doing decent running the game so stuck with that instead

Thanks for the insight. I wouldn't call just 40 on the ground good given dearth of touches and that half of it came from one rip. His receiving day was poor by that standard as well - it turned out well but you can't be happy about the lack of targets.

Either way, I'll take it, but not sure I like trajectory. 

2 minutes ago, Stompin' Tom Connors said:

Thanks for the insight. I wouldn't call just 40 on the ground good given dearth of touches and that half of it came from one rip. His receiving day was poor by that standard as well - it turned out well but you can't be happy about the lack of targets.

Either way, I'll take it, but not sure I like trajectory. 

I’ll gladly take 40 on the ground from Cohen every week off of what 5 carries or something. I don’t expect Cohen to get a bunch of carries and yes he didn’t get a lot of targets but that happens sometimes. scoring 4 weeks in a row and still proving that he should get the ball a lot is good for me, good chance he gets his 8 targets again next week

17 hours ago, Stompin' Tom Connors said:

No change in role or situation going forward.  Still a low-touch, boom/bust guy. 

More boom than bust for the last month but still prone to a low output if he doesn't rip off a big gainer or two.

• 2 weeks later...

Tarik Cohen tallied 15 yards and a touchdown on seven carries while snagging six-of-seven targets for an additional 29 yards Sunday in the Bears’ Week 10 win over Detroit.

Cohen was featured early on, out-touching back-field mate Jordan Howard by a noticeable 11-2 margin during the first half. Obviously the 23-year-old didn't have much room to run on Sunday (2.14 yards per carry) but helped his fantasy cause by punching in a goal-line touchdown. Cohen has cooled off some but still found the end zone in five of his last six outings. He'll try to make it six out of seven next week when the Bears host Minnesota.

Nov 11 - 5:31 PM

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 11/22/2018 at 11:08 AM, Bfrahm3 said:

What the hell did Cohen do to Nagy this week to lose touches to the 4th string guy

Honestly, don't care as long as Cohen gets his general touches/snap count and can score me over 35 points like he did this week.

10 minutes ago, Stompin' Tom Connors said:

Honestly, don't care as long as Cohen gets his general touches/snap count and can score me over 35 points like he did this week.

Yeah still seems weird that mizzell is still getting touches especially with Cohen doing so good with his but Chicago/Nagy has gone back to using Cohen more again. He was practically unstoppable in the 4th while the bears where moving down the field. Seemed like every other play was a throw to Cohen because they know he’s a playmaker