What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Dynasty Watch - Chris Godwin WR Tampa Bay (2 Viewers)

Chris Godwin caught 5-of-7 targets for 133 yards and two touchdowns in the Bucs' Week 17 win over the Falcons.

Godwin was able to make the most of Mike Evans missing three quarters with his first 100-yard game of the season. However, Antonio Brown saw 14 targets and is clearly the primary beneficiary of Evans going down. It looks like Evans will be able to suit up in the Bucs' Wild Card round game against Washington but if he doesn't, Brown is the preferred target on this team. Godwin would still project for high-end WR2 numbers in the context of a six-game playoff slate.

- Rotoworld

Chris Godwin caught 5-of-12 targets for 79 yards and one touchdown in the Bucs' Wild Card win over Washington.

Godwin had a very up-and-down game. He uncharacteristically had multiple drops -- possibly up to five -- but also found the end zone and made some plays in traffic. It would be a surprise if Godwin's drops carried over as he's been sure-handed for his entire NFL career. With Mike Evans avoiding a setback, the Bucs should be ready for a high-scoring affair next weekend. The Bucs are most likely playing the Saints in New Orleans.

Jan 9, 2021, 11:57 PM ET

Chris Godwin caught 4-of-7 targets for 34 yards in the Bucs' Divisional Round win over the Saints.

Godwin's biggest play was a third-down catch on a slant on the final drive that produced a first down and helped salt away the clock. He very nearly made an incredible touchdown catch in the back of the end zone earlier in the evening but was unable to control the ball as he went to the ground despite beating the safety on the deep shot and getting two feet in bounds on the play. Godwin has been up-and-down this season in a loaded offense. He gets the Packers next week in the NFC title bout.

Jan 17, 2021, 10:41 PM ET

Chris Godwin caught 5-of-9 targets for 110 yards in the Bucs' NFC Championship Game win over the Packers. 

After logging zero 100-yard games during the 2020 calendar year, Godwin now has two in the past four weeks going back to Week 17. He finally seems healthy after a season of playing through nagging ailments. With Antonio Brown (knee) uncertain for Super Bowl LV, eight is probably Godwin's targets floor for a likely shootout against either Kansas City or Buffalo. 

Jan 24, 2021, 7:12 PM ET

Chris Godwin caught 2-of-4 targets for nine yards in the Bucs' Super Bowl LV victory over the Chiefs. 

After a juggernaut 2019 where he caught 86 balls for 1,333 yards and nine touchdowns in 14 games, Godwin crashed back to earth in 2020 as he battled injury and increased target competition. Seemingly nowhere close to 100 percent health until late in the season, Godwin missed four games as he dealt with finger, hamstring and concussion issues. That hampered his ability to build chemistry with meticulous Tom Brady, while Antonio Brown siphoned major targets alongside Mike Evans. Godwin did reach 84 yards in three of his final four regular season contests, and (insert) in the playoffs. 20 days shy of his 25th birthday, Godwin is headed to free agency, where he will be one of the hottest commodities we have seen at wideout in years. With Evans commanding so much money, it would be hard for the Bucs to keep Godwin for the roughly $16 million it would cost under the franchise tag. 

Feb 7, 2021, 10:40 PM ET

I'm curious, why do you think he's gone? 
Because of cap space and the money Tampa has tied up at receiver. Godwin, according to PFF, is the top WR on the market. That's over Golladay, Robinson, Corey Davis, you name it. He's going to command serious dollars somewhere and Tampa has as a ton of money already invested in Evans. They might franchise Godwin, but they'd be lacking for resources then at other positions, and both Scotty Miller and Tyler Johnson are up and coming receivers that might be ready to step in in his absence. Capella, TB expert on the board, predicts they'll indeed franchise him, but I haven't seen that in any of the publications. Barnwell had him going to New England, which got me worried. He'd draw double coverage all day and I'm not sure they have a QB that can get him the ball.

Anyway, I'd keep my eyes peeled for a move for mega money.

Because of cap space and the money Tampa has tied up at receiver. Godwin, according to PFF, is the top WR on the market. That's over Golladay, Robinson, Corey Davis, you name it. He's going to command serious dollars somewhere and Tampa has as a ton of money already invested in Evans. They might franchise Godwin, but they'd be lacking for resources then at other positions, and both Scotty Miller and Tyler Johnson are up and coming receivers that might be ready to step in in his absence. Capella, TB expert on the board, predicts they'll indeed franchise him, but I haven't seen that in any of the publications. Barnwell had him going to New England, which got me worried. He'd draw double coverage all day and I'm not sure they have a QB that can get him the ball.

I really like Godwin but I feel like he drops an awful lot of balls that hit him in the hands - too many to be "a one". Jordy Nelson got over that I guess and maybe Godwin will too but it's really tough on a franchise when it signs a guy they thought was a "one" who turns out to be a "two".

Thanks! I was also anticipating a franchise tag, giving Brady as many weapons as possible for another run. I agree New England would be an awful landing spot. Outside of Tampa I'm not sure where I'd want him to go that has money... How about Jacksonville? Miami?

I really like Godwin but I feel like he drops an awful lot of balls that hit him in the hands - too many to be "a one". Jordy Nelson got over that I guess and maybe Godwin will too but it's really tough on a franchise when it signs a guy they thought was a "one" who turns out to be a "two".
He'd only dropped one ball all year until he got the yips against WFT. Barely any drops the year before, either. But about being a "one." You might be right. He's probably not a top-end one, but he'll fetch a pretty penny in free agency.

Thanks! I was also anticipating a franchise tag, giving Brady as many weapons as possible for another run. I agree New England would be an awful landing spot. Outside of Tampa I'm not sure where I'd want him to go that has money... How about Jacksonville? Miami?
I'd buckle in and hope for Tampa with those options. Jacksonville with Lawrence is intriguing, but with Chark and Shenault, who knows if he'd even be the alpha on his own team. I'm not sold on Tua whatsoever. If Miami lands Watson, then for sure Godwin following him there would be awesome for him and fantasy GMs that roster him, but if it's Tua, not so much, IMO. Jets have a ton of money and cap room, so don't count them out, either. Their wide receiver corps is as thin as Miami's, maybe even more so. So...it's up in the air for sure.

He’s going to get franchised and the one-year deal off of that and try to get a long-term deal done after. Mark my words. Zero chance he’s leaving imo 

Last edited by a moderator:
The Bucs have some big decisions to make. LaVonte David and Shaq Barrett are also both free agents. Can’t franchise everyone. They’re going to have to get really creative with existing players’ contracts. 

I really like Godwin but I feel like he drops an awful lot of balls that hit him in the hands -
That would not worry me, but read some stuff about how he does against press coverage the other day and that would worry me.

Basically what I read the other day was that Arian's lines him up all over to avoid press man coverage and no WR since 2019 who has run at least 500 routes has seen less press man coverage. When he has been against press man coverage he struggles to get targets, just 10% of his targets which is 4th lowest in the league and I don't recall the 3 WR's who were lower then him just none of them were any good.

So it seems to me that Arians has done a great job of putting him best possible situations to avoid his weakness, press man. Sometimes coaches do stupid stuff so risk of him leaving is his new coach not putting him in best situations for success and most of all possibly his new coach not having luxury of moving him around to take advantage of matchups because he's the clear cut #1 and not playing with a Mike Evans type.

The Bucs have some big decisions to make. LaVonte David and Shaq Barrett are also both free agents. Can’t franchise everyone. They’re going to have to get really creative with existing players’ contracts. 
Those two won’t need to be franchised, they will probably be the first two to re-sign. Gronk wants to come back, so they can use the tag on Godwin. 

Only significant player I think they lose is Fournette. Also think Brate ends up a cap casualty. 

Super bowl teams always have some guys leave in free agency, it’s their time to cash in. However this team could also lure some free agents who will take a discount because TB gives them a solid chance at winning a super bowl. If Godwin leaves, I could see someone like Marvin Jones taking a team friendly deal (or they roll with Johnson/Miller who looked pretty solid as well). 

Super bowl teams always have some guys leave in free agency, it’s their time to cash in. However this team could also lure some free agents who will take a discount because TB gives them a solid chance at winning a super bowl. If Godwin leaves, I could see someone like Marvin Jones taking a team friendly deal (or they roll with Johnson/Miller who looked pretty solid as well). 
Agreed...Tampa is a little bit different because their window is probably small due to Brady's age but IMO one of the keys to sustaining a run is who you let go because you can't keep everyone...when you fall in love with all of your players you can get yourself in trouble...the good news is (as you point out) once you become a destination for a potential championship you can acquire quality veterans at very team-friendly contracts.

Those two won’t need to be franchised, they will probably be the first two to re-sign. Gronk wants to come back, so they can use the tag on Godwin. 

Only significant player I think they lose is Fournette. Also think Brate ends up a cap casualty. 
Do you think Shaq re-signing before the franchise deadline in 2 weeks is the highest priority? From the outside that's my perspective cause that would then allow them to tag Godwin, who aged just 24 is ripe for a big pay day whenever he actually hits free agency. If they get to the deadline without a Shaq extension then what?

Regardless, Lavonte David being on the wrong side of 30 leaves me thinking you guys can get him back in March so long as another team does not vastly overpay for him.

Do you think Shaq re-signing before the franchise deadline in 2 weeks is the highest priority? From the outside that's my perspective cause that would then allow them to tag Godwin, who aged just 24 is ripe for a big pay day whenever he actually hits free agency. If they get to the deadline without a Shaq extension then what?

Regardless, Lavonte David being on the wrong side of 30 leaves me thinking you guys can get him back in March so long as another team does not vastly overpay for him.
Yes I think a Shaq extension will be announced shortly. They have been working on that for a long time and they want to save the franchise tag for Godwin. 

David and Gronk are locks to re-sign. Highly doubt either leaves. In fact they may even take less to come back. 

Capella said:

I agree with your line of thinking that they'll be extended and Godwin will be franchised.  Just have to figure out how to make the money work.  Mike Evans has already said he'd restructure.  Donovan Smith and Jensen could also.  They can probably extend Brady another year as well to spread his money out. 

Have to think David is going to be offered quite a bit. Is he a luxury the Bucs can afford to keep?

just don’t see them having the money to sign all their marquee free agents. And how much is the franchise tag cost going to be for wr next year?

I agree with many points and I'll simply add a few more of my own. 

-3rd Rd- #84 pick, has 26 starts last 2 seasons, looks like he missed 4 games this past year so I adjusted and his number in terms of catches and TDs per catch ratio about the same, one difference was simply his ypc dipped but you knew Brady was not going to throw as many Hail Mary or deep bombs as say Winston did in 2019. 

-His Market value from what i have been reading is roughly $17-$18M per season, he could command and likely get a 5yr/$75 deal in his sleep. The guy is still 24 yrs old? All of the top paid WRs in the NFL are significantly older than him so I would imagine that makes him even more appealing to some teams. You cannot discount that he has had tons of talent around him and if he is asked to be the No 1 with nothing else of real note opposite him, how good will he be? I'm not saying he isn't a No 1 WR. 

-The Bucs will receive a compensatory pick if he leaves and signs elsewhere, that's really little comfort when he is better than many of the 1st Rd WRs coming out of college this year and last year/few years. It will be very hard for Tampa Bay to keep him and a Franchise Tag might not make him feel warm n fuzzy either. 

I agree with you Rock, the Bucs are going to have make a decision between Godwin and Barrett IMHO...they might have try and get lucky in the Draft with another pick or two at OL and make a change or two like Smith who is owed $14.5M at Left Tackle, cost nothing to release him, you add that to a robust $30M they have in cap space and you are closer to $45M they can play with. 

Bucs Thread I posted a lengthy one discussing several contracts that could be re-worked or players potentially traded. What if the Bucs traded their 1st and OJ Howard to get a top flight WR prospect(Pick 1) and then perhaps must let Godwin go, etc....they can do this many different ways and have a lot of flexibility. Godwin gone? Not a foregone conclusion is all I would say. 

The consensus among Bucs' beat reporters is that Chris Godwin will return to Tampa Bay in 2021.

Godwin is a free agent, but the Bucs can place the franchise tag on him if the two parties are unable to agree on a long-term contract. With Tom Brady under contract for another season, the priority is to find "win now" talent, so it'd be a surprise if an established high-end receiver like Godwin wasn't a top priority for GM Jason Licht. In addition to Godwin, the Bucs also will be making decisions on free agents Antonio Brown, Rob Gronkowski, and Leonard Fournette.

SOURCE: Luke Easterling on Twitter

Feb 17, 2021, 2:16 PM ET

Zero chance. Literally zero. 
Agree, the Bucs already have a special needs WR in Brown, they don't need another one and I don't believe Brady has that special relationship with Odell that he seems to have with Brown. When i watched Brown in the Super Bowl, there was ZERO chance he was dropping that TD in the end zone from Brady. He will retire with a Super Bowl ring to flash at all his parties and clubs because once he leaves Tom's House, he will likely revert back to his old self, just my opinion. (Hope I'm wrong)

I believe right now that Antonio Brown will be back with the Bucs, likely the only team that will even employ him still and he will actually have a pretty good season next year. He racked like 140-150 yds in one game the week or two leading up to the Playoffs.  A productive off season and the Bucs are going to have 1-1-1 Evans-Godwin-Brown all No 1 level WRs for Brady to throw to. It's like going WR the first 3 rounds in FF 

The Bucs want to make Tom happy and he was his happiest IMO when he threw to Randy moss even though he didn't win a ring with him.Tom became an alpha QB at that point and not just a system guy that won 3 rings. 

I don't know about you Cap but for me, Mid-Late Feb is usually about the time I check out of football until at least the Draft but this year because of the Bucs the party just won't stop. I believe the Bucs are going to win it again next year and I believe Brady wants to do it so he can be the only QB to win B2B for 2 different NFL teams, just winning 1 for a couple organizations is a major accomplishment like Manning did for Indy and Denver on his way out, in fact the Broncos went to 2 Super Bowls under Manning. 

Agree, the Bucs already have a special needs WR in Brown, they don't need another one and I don't believe Brady has that special relationship with Odell that he seems to have with Brown. When i watched Brown in the Super Bowl, there was ZERO chance he was dropping that TD in the end zone from Brady. He will retire with a Super Bowl ring to flash at all his parties and clubs because once he leaves Tom's House, he will likely revert back to his old self, just my opinion. (Hope I'm wrong)

I believe right now that Antonio Brown will be back with the Bucs, likely the only team that will even employ him still and he will actually have a pretty good season next year. He racked like 140-150 yds in one game the week or two leading up to the Playoffs.  A productive off season and the Bucs are going to have 1-1-1 Evans-Godwin-Brown all No 1 level WRs for Brady to throw to. It's like going WR the first 3 rounds in FF 

The Bucs want to make Tom happy and he was his happiest IMO when he threw to Randy moss even though he didn't win a ring with him.Tom became an alpha QB at that point and not just a system guy that won 3 rings. 

I don't know about you Cap but for me, Mid-Late Feb is usually about the time I check out of football until at least the Draft but this year because of the Bucs the party just won't stop. I believe the Bucs are going to win it again next year and I believe Brady wants to do it so he can be the only QB to win B2B for 2 different NFL teams, just winning 1 for a couple organizations is a major accomplishment like Manning did for Indy and Denver on his way out, in fact the Broncos went to 2 Super Bowls under Manning. 
Yea man I haven’t come off this high yet lol. I keep buying stuff I don’t need. 

I agree that AB-Evans-Godwin will be back with Miller and Johnson. Gronk and OJ at tight end. TBD about Brate - Brady loves him in the red zone. I think they have a truly excellent chance to go B2B — which is more than this Bucs fan could ever conceive. Exciting times. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't see why he couldn't sign a long term back loaded extension in Tampa.  Amari Cooper got 5 years and $100M with $60M guaranteed.  Only $12M in the first year.  Offer Godwin close to the same thing, but put all the cap hit in years 3-5 when Brady is likely to be gone.  He's only 24.

I think its safe to assume his numbers will be much better with a 2nd year with Brady compared to last year...

I think its safe to assume his numbers will be much better with a 2nd year with Brady compared to last year...
Good health vs what he dealt with most of early last year should be big.

If they resign AB he'll probably acclimate a little better with full camp and maybe earn a bigger role and Brady's a year older but to me good health from Godwin and increased familiarity with Brady trumps those things.

The Bucs used the franchise tag on Chris Godwin. 

With the team's core staying put, there was no way the Bucs were going to let Godwin, 25, leave via free agency. In Tom Brady's first season with Tampa, Godwin was second on the team with 84 targets while missing four games. His 70 receiving yards per game marked a massive drop off from the 95.2 yards per game he logged in 2019 though he continued to find the end zone at a decent clip, scoring seven times in 2020. Godwin and Mike Evans will continue to see a similar target share as the Bucs look to become repeat champs in 2021. Tagging Godwin means Lavonte David and Shaq Barrett are going to enter free agency. 

Yeah I don't know I think at his cost I am going to be fading Godwin this year. He will be a useful WR2 in fantasy with weekly WR1 upside, but I see more of Brady spreading it around like he did last year. Not saying that is a bad thing but I just don't see Godwin putting up league winning numbers here. I'm kind of glad I moved him recently. Good and solid chalk for FF but not great enough at the price. I will be curious to see what his ADP does now. These dominoes everywhere are starting to fall a little.

That was my assumption as well. I’d put it at 10% based on his playoff audition for other teams. 
Yea, somebody said he is going to get 8M a year for 2 years and for a guy who was benched in week 15 that doesn’t seem possible. He was unbelievable in the playoffs though, god bless that guy. 

Yea, somebody said he is going to get 8M a year for 2 years and for a guy who was benched in week 15 that doesn’t seem possible. He was unbelievable in the playoffs though, god bless that guy. 
Nothing negative to say about Fournette.  If he can get that from someone more power to him.

Glad to have Godwin in the fold for another year.  This signifies losing at least one of Shaq or LVD though.

Yeah, the week 14/15 situation is also part of why I think he’s gone regardless of what he gets paid. Clearly there was either something about his play or his character it was rubbing the coaching staff the wrong way.

sure did have a hell of a playoff run though.

Nothing negative to say about Fournette.  If he can get that from someone more power to him.

Glad to have Godwin in the fold for another year.  This signifies losing at least one of Shaq or LVD though.
I’m not sure it does. They were never going to franchise Shaq a second time. 

Users who are viewing this thread