What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Courtland Sutton, DEN (4 Viewers)

If Sutton can be had at a good price in dynasty league rookie drafts then jump on it.  Having said that, this is the year for RBs, so don't get cute in the top half of the 1st rd.  I wouldn't argue late 1st, early 2nd, to mid-2nd.

Wait, if you are so certain he’s an echo of Treadwell, why would you use any draft pick on him?

Wait, if you are so certain he’s an echo of Treadwell, why would you use any draft pick on him?
if you can get him late first or early second, then jump on it. .  However, if you use the 1.03 to 1.08 on him then I say your reaching.  This draft is very good for RBs and no way will I reach for a WR.  Not even Ridley n the top 4.  I can see Ridley going in the middle of the 1st rd in dynasty rookie drafts.

Last edited by a moderator:
if you can get him late first or early second, then jump on it. .  However, if you use the 1.03 to 1.08 on him then I say your reaching.  This draft is very good for RBs and no way will I reach for a WR.  Not even Ridley n the top 4.  I can see Ridley going in the middle of the 1st rd in dynasty rookie drafts.
This year I went to a few of SMU’s games and I just came away unimpressed. IIRC majority of his yards came against lower Conference schools. Honestly his numbers are not even Elite to begin with. I’ve tried to like him as a prospect and I just don’t see it. I hope the Cowboys don’t draft this dude in the 1st to try to prove a point to Dez........oh Gawd please no.

Tex

This year I went to a few of SMU’s games and I just came away unimpressed. IIRC majority of his yards came against lower Conference schools. Honestly his numbers are not even Elite to begin with. I’ve tried to like him as a prospect and I just don’t see it. I hope the Cowboys don’t draft this dude in the 1st to try to prove a point to Dez........oh Gawd please no.

Tex

You know what they say about being careful what you wish for.  You keep citing production, but by your own accounts you have no idea of the context.  FWIW, I’d prefer he doesn’t go to Dallas either.  It’s fun warching them flounder.

You know what they say about being careful what you wish for.  You keep citing production, but by your own accounts you have no idea of the context.  FWIW, I’d prefer he doesn’t go to Dallas either.  It’s fun warching them flounder.
I this horrible feeling in my gut!!!

Tex

An anonymous NFL scout compared SMU WR Courtland Sutton to Tennessee Titans Corey Davis and Los Angeles Chargers Mike Williams.

This could be viewed in a positive light as both players were drafted early in the first round, but the scout continued his comparison by saying Sutton's a "Big, physical guy still learning the position." He also believes Sutton's ceiling is a "solid No.2" in an offense. Other scouts cited concerns about his route-running and toughness. Rotoworld's Thor Nystrom is bullish on Sutton and has him as the No. 1 overall wide receiver and 22nd overall player in his Top-400 Big Board. Sutton will likely be selected anywhere from the end of Day 1 to the beginning of Day 2.

Source: Bob McGinn Football 

Apr 22 - 4:26 PM

the first sentence lacks what the scout said.

I've been reading a bunch about the three and it's not close. One guy brought up the William Green RB draft for comparison

Reading this thread - only can confirms that nobody knows what to think of this kid.

He’s big and fast. Big hands. High point artist. Route running is a big problem. 

Prospects like Sutton, when there is such a divide in value ... I like to look for some other qualities. 

Superficial probably. But I like to watch these type of players during interviews - how do they conduct themselves? Do they start every response with “uhm” ...

im still undecided on Sutton. But I’ve warcged his “highlights” ... took in his combine, and watched his combine press “Interview”

seems like a very self aware kid, well spoken, and excited about being a pro.

I’m a bit drunk ... but anyone on the fence, should check out his combine media session:

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-combine/0ap3000000918874/Courtland-Sutton-I-m-a-dominant-receiver-You-ll-feel-my-presence

He’s big and fast. Big hands. 
I don't think fast is one of the words I would use to describe him.  He could be a steal late first / early 2nd for dynasty teams however.  Or if he doesn't work out it wouldn't be as much of a sting if taken at the right spot.

SF at #9 is possible and it would be a fantastic spot for him to land. He's got #1 WR in FF upside in SF. 
We've seen crazier things happen, Ted Ginn and Darius Heyward-Bey come to mind. But it would still shock me if SF took a 2nd round WR at #9, no matter how much they need one. 

We've seen crazier things happen, Ted Ginn and Darius Heyward-Bey come to mind. But it would still shock me if SF took a 2nd round WR at #9, no matter how much they need one. 
Yeah I disagree with your assessment of him. I've read this thread though and don't need to go through it with you again. I hope everybody values him like you do so I can get him on all my teams.

Yeah I disagree with your assessment of him. I've read this thread though and don't need to go through it with you again. I hope everybody values him like you do so I can get him on all my teams.
How I feel about him has nothing to do with where he'll go in the draft. The consensus towards him from what I've seen is late 1st or early 2nd; anywhere from the 2nd WR taken to the 5th.  

How I feel about him has nothing to do with where he'll go in the draft. The consensus towards him from what I've seen is late 1st or early 2nd; anywhere from the 2nd WR taken to the 5th.  
Wonder where consensus was last year for Ross and Williams. 

Lol you haven't heard of him being the 1st WR taken? Where have you been since the combine?

***Edit***

And i have no idea what you're talking about. I didn't say your opinion had any bearing on where Sutton would be drafted. I just said i hope everybody values him like you do so i can pick him up late in the first round of rookie drafts. 

You know "late" in the first round of rookie drafts where I'm always drafting. 

Reception Perception: Courtland Sutton

Sutton posted a 69.1 percent success rate vs. man coverage, which rests at the 56th percentile among prospects charted over the last three classes. He tested out at the 66th percentile (79.4 percent) against zone coverage. Those scores aren’t elite but they’re far from damning, either.

The most concerning result from Sutton’s Reception Perception was his 60 percent success rate vs. press coverage. Sutton fell at the 36th percentile in this metric. He saw just 35 press attempts in a conference where tight physical coverage is rare to find but it was concerning that he didn’t show out in small viewings.

Lolol yeah no way a big physical receiver like Sutton could ever learn how to beat press coverage. 
The article states too CBs in the AAC rarely play press coverage. The guy only has 33 data points for Sutton against it. Plain to man-to-man provides a bigger concern, where Sutton only manages 56th percentile of the receivers recorded the past 3 year, which includes the top receivers in the draft. So that's ok I guess, and it goes along with the theory he only needs to learn to run routes better. One the other hand, I think it shows he's less than a can't-miss prospect.

One the other hand, I think it shows he's less than a can't-miss prospect.

There’s only 2 can’t miss guys in this draft IMO, and FFers aren’t going to be drafting one of them.  Can’t miss is a way overused term (which is odd considering by definition how exclusive it is).

There’s only 2 can’t miss guys in this draft IMO, and FFers aren’t going to be drafting one of them.  Can’t miss is a way overused term (which is odd considering by definition how exclusive it is).
Without arguing over semantics, I meant to imply this guy has more risk than some of the other receivers, like Moore and Ridley. One would think Sutton could do better against man coverage considering his competition. 

The article states too CBs in the AAC rarely play press coverage. The guy only has 33 data points for Sutton against it. Plain to man-to-man provides a bigger concern, where Sutton only manages 56th percentile of the receivers recorded the past 3 year, which includes the top receivers in the draft. So that's ok I guess, and it goes along with the theory he only needs to learn to run routes better. One the other hand, I think it shows he's less than a can't-miss prospect.
I don't remember saying he was a can't miss prospect. I think all I said is I hope other people value him like you. 

Without arguing over semantics, I meant to imply this guy has more risk than some of the other receivers, like Moore and Ridley. One would think Sutton could do better against man coverage considering his competition. 

How did he do against double teams?

Yahoo Sports' Jordan Shultz reports the Dallas Cowboys "plan to select" SMU WR Courtland Sutton today.

The Cowboys have been long rumored to draft Sutton as the replacement for Dez Bryant. They hold the No. 50 overall pick and could potentially be forced to trade up to select him with the Colts and Cardinals both in the market for wide receivers. The Colts have three picks (36, 37, 49) before the Cowboys next selection and have a good chance of taking him before the Cowboys even get a chance to trade up. Despite the Cowboys blatant and well-known interest for Sutton, it isn't a sure-fire thing he lands there.

Source: Jordan Shultz on Twitter 

Apr 27 - 2:59 PM

Ideally I don't want Sutton falling out of the 2nd round but I'd like to see 4-5 more offensive skill position players taken in front of him and have him drafted into a good situation. Dallas would be ideal. GB would be good. 

He's still my #2 prospect in rookie drafts and #1 WR prospect. 

Broncos selected SMU WR Courtland Sutton with the No. 40 overall pick in the 2018 NFL draft.

Sutton (6’3/218) started all three years for the Mustangs, compiling a career 195/3,220/16.5/31 receiving line and dabbling as a basketball forward at SMU. Sutton is an old-school possession receiver with 4.54 speed who won in the run-after-catch and contested-catch games in college but didn’t consistently separate from American Athletic Conference DBs. (Sutton’s tape shows SMU’s poor QB play was at least partly to blame.) A 93rd-percentile SPARQ athlete, Sutton ultimately profiles in the Muhsin Muhammad-Alshon Jeffery range with some traditional "No. 1 receiver" traits. The Cowboys were linked to Sutton, but he has a chance to shine with the Broncos if all of the pieces align.

Apr 27 - 7:42 PM

Terrible landing spot. Behind two established vets and a #### QB. Won't do anything for 2-3 years. Oh well. 

Sanders was a rumored trade bait and given his contract is most likely a cut after this season. 

If Sutton can play,  he'll push Sanders to a #3 role.

Terrible landing spot. Behind two established vets and a #### QB. Won't do anything for 2-3 years. Oh well. 
not true, DT and Sanders could likely be gone this time next year. And Keenum made Diggs and Theilen very playable last year....so.....but yes he probably marinades at least 1 season, which might not be a bad thing for him.

not true, DT and Sanders could likely be gone this time next year. And Keenum made Diggs and Theilen very playable last year....so.....but yes he probably marinades at least 1 season, which might not be a bad thing for him.
Exactly what I'm looking for.  Let someone else draft him 1.09, add Jordan Wilkins at the end of the 2nd, then trade him straight up for Sutton in November.

Your attempt at devaluation is appreciated by your fellow FBG league mates 
Lol I traded out of the first round after I saw his landing spot. If he had gone to Dallas in the 1st round I would have traded Brandin Cooks straight up for the 1.02 and happily took him. No games here. It's a bad spot for him. 

Broncos OTA Day 1 observations

Excerpt:

Rookie WR Courtland Sutton had the catch of the day four snaps before the end of practice, leaping over second-year CB Brendan Langleyfor a grab from Lynch near the left sideline.

It was exactly the kind of catch the Broncos drafted Sutton to make, and it was similar to a slew of receptions he had at SMU. Perhaps that was why Sutton downplayed the reception after practice.

"It felt good, but it's one of those things [where] I expect myself to do those things," Sutton said. "It's not one of those things that's a 'wow' moment for myself. Once you have high expectations for yourself, you just want to make sure that you're going out and doing that every day, because I know if I'm not bettering myself, then I'm letting the team down."

... It was a good day for both of the Broncos' rookie draftees at wide receiver. Sutton followed his big grab with another catch from Lynch down the right sideline. Lynch then hit fourth-round pick DaeSean Hamilton on two consecutive passes to close out the day's work.

This guy is being slept on so hard in dynasty IMO. I know RB is in vogue right now but I can’t believe some of the RBs (and WRs for that matter) being drafted ahead of him in rookie drafts, given his profile and potential. Sure his situation isn’t great year one but it’s not THAT terrible...and after that it might be pretty sweet. I’d rather have him over anyone other than Barkley in this draft to be honest. Getting him late first is criminal.

From the accounts I’ve seen so far, both Sutton and Hamilton appear to be further ahead of the curve than expected.  It’s just skeleton drills so far, but it looks pretty good.

Users who are viewing this thread