What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

White Privilege and Intersectionality (1 Viewer)

I had a massive blow up when I was much younger with a mentor about how I agreed with her about everything but I thought the term “feminist” just continued to divide us and I consider myself a humanist and won’t discuss it in terms of feminism. 

I still shake my head and feel a little silly when I think of that. 
If feminism was dominating progressive politics and resulting in outcomes counter-productive to the goals of feminism, it would be reasonable to suggest rethinking the approach about how ones talks about the goals/concepts of feminism.

Last edited by a moderator:
I told my dad when I was 12 I don`t think I want to go to college...I remember his words to this day "Well the world needs ditch diggers too" In all societies some class is always going to be feel somewhat "oppressed" 

If the USA was 100% white it would be the rich vs the poor warfare. The haves vs the have not's.
I don’t understand the point of this post.  Are we pretending that black people in America haven’t been oppressed?  

If feminism was dominating progressive politics and resulting in outcomes counter-productive to the goals of feminism, it would be reasonable to suggest rethinking the approach about how ones talks about the goals/concepts of feminism.
It’s also reasonable to consider that your ideal first step isn’t the ideal first step. 

It’s also reasonable to consider that your ideal first step isn’t the ideal first step. 
What is my ideal first step?  Finding another way to group people in a way that better achieves improved outcomes for minorities?

What is my ideal first step?  Finding another way to group people in a way that better achieves improved outcomes for minorities?
Sounds like it.  Seems like people who want to talk about white privilege aren’t focusing on fixing how we group people first, they’d like to stop being discriminated against before we try to change our whole language and categorization system around the world. 

We haven’t even adopted the metric system yet.  Which do you think can happen fastest: getting rid of racial categorization entirely in this country, or nationwide guidance from the DOJ about body cam usage, footage retention, and release to the public? Or a law providing an adverse inference in court against the officer if he didn'tturn on the camera?

Sounds like it.  Seems like people who want to talk about white privilege aren’t focusing on fixing how we group people first, they’d like to stop being discriminated against before we try to change our whole language and categorization system around the world. 
My point is that I mostly hear about white privilege and intersectionality in conversations from progressives.  The language of progressives overwhelmingly seems to be that of identity politics, grouping people in ways that highlight division along artificial boundaries and don't align well with achieving political solutions in America, but actually end up being counter-productive politically.

If progressives want to seriously achieve the goal of stopping discrimination and improving the lives of minorities, they should rethink identity politics and consider grouping folks by criteria that more closely align with wellbeing in America, such as class.  In doing so, you remove the backlash against identity politics that results, in part, in the Trumps of the world, and you bring on board a lot of people who otherwise would've been turned off by rhetoric around race that can sometimes be abrasive to people.

My point is that I mostly hear about white privilege and intersectionality in conversations from progressives.  The language of progressives overwhelmingly seems to be that of identity politics, grouping people in ways that highlight division along artificial boundaries and don't align well with achieving political solutions in America, but actually end up being counter-productive politically.

If progressives want to seriously achieve the goal of stopping discrimination and improving the lives of minorities, they should rethink identity politics and consider grouping folks by criteria that more closely align with wellbeing in America, such as class.  In doing so, you remove the backlash against identity politics that results, in part, in the Trumps of the world, and you bring on board a lot of people who otherwise would've been turned off by rhetoric around race that can sometimes be abrasive to people.
And I’m telling you that when you say this to many people of color, they hear “we know you’ve been oppressed but you need to let that go right now for the greater good.  We got your back.” 

And I don’t know how versed you are in the history of civil rights and feminism, but spoiler: every time we’ve said that we really didn’t have their back.

You're just substituting one kind of fragmentation with another. I don't really understand your point beyond that. Are we only to discuss the inequities that exist in our society which you approve discussion of?

And you’re likely to hear “You know, it’s pretty much the height of white privilege for you to say it’s time to stop referring to white privilege for the greater good.”
Which is one of the big problems with the white privilege concept, these kind of comments.  The validity of your point is judged based on the skin color of the person making them.  There's little more offensive to folks who care about truth than living in that kind of world.

You're just substituting one kind of fragmentation with another. I don't really understand your point beyond that. Are we only to discuss the inequities that exist in our society which you approve of?
I'm making a distinction that isn't based on identity, but rather one that's fluid that people can move in and out of.  Not only that, but there's some objective nature to this reality.  Additionally, it's a grouping that's more accurately mapped onto wellbeing in America than race.  And finally, it's a grouping that can actually form a political coalition that can help address some of the issues folks are looking to address.

But yeah, I guess aside from those benefits there really isn't much to my point.

One of the appeals of Obama’s was how he spoke about America across boundaries.  No red states or blue states, only the United States.  We all want the same things for our families...it’s a framework that brings us together.  

Dividing down racial or identity lines divides us and when we get divided down racial lines, the smaller groups pitt d against the bigger groups, which group is going to win?  The biggest racial group and when they win they will tend to be more protective of their group and lash out against perceived attempts to diminish its power.

any of that sound familiar from, oh, the past few years?

When you wage political battles along racial identity lines, people fall into the groups to which they identify and stick together which means the largest racial group will win.

Why not wage battles along class lines?  It’s not an identity, it’s something you fall into based on income levels and it more accurately tracks your levels of success in America than race.  The working class far outnumbers the 1% and if it’s class warfare we are waging, it’s preferable to racial warfare which will be lost by minorities for the foreseeable future.

I'm making a distinction that isn't based on identity, but rather one that's fluid that people can move in and out of.  Not only that, but there's some objective nature to this reality.  Additionally, it's a grouping that's more accurately mapped onto wellbeing in America than race.  And finally, it's a grouping that can actually form a political coalition that can help address some of the issues folks are looking to address.

But yeah, I guess aside from those benefits there really isn't much to my point.
Objective nature to reality? Other forms of segmentation are not objectively identifiable?

How is class more accurately mapped into wellbeing if the discrimination under discussion is based on something else?

Lots of potential groupings can form coalitions that "address some of the issues folks are looking to address" - yours is just one of many. It depends on the issue under discussion.

As I said, you're just promoting your pet categorization over some others. And by your own admission, there's fluidity to the population of your category, which implies it might be more critical to focus on inequalities in areas which have much less fluidity in terms of inclusion/exclusion.

One of the appeals of Obama’s was how he spoke about America across boundaries.  No red states or blue states, only the United States.  We all want the same things for our families...it’s a framework that brings us together.  

Dividing down racial or identity lines divides us and when we get divided down racial lines, the smaller groups pitt d against the bigger groups, which group is going to win?  The biggest racial group and when they win they will tend to be more protective of their group and lash out against perceived attempts to diminish its power.

any of that sound familiar from, oh, the past few years?
Yeah.  Update: Did pretending the other side doesn’t do that enough to derail attempts at consolidation of disparate factions work? 

Not really sure what you’re asking.  
Obama: we are all one America

racists: Nope, we still hate black people and brown people.  And kinda East Asians.

People of color: uh, guys? They’re just killing black kids in the streets

Obama: we must recognize that we are all one people, even through moments where we see ourselves in the victims in the news

2016 election: Teehee

"I understand your race has been systemically disadvantaged for centuries in this country and in many respects it continues to this day, but as a white male I'm deeply offended by the terminology you're choosing to use to describe the advantages folks like me have been granted, often at your race's expense. So please stop using that term or I won't listen. Please pass the Grey Poupon."     
:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:  

Objective nature to reality? Other forms of segmentation are not objectively identifiable?

How is class more accurately mapped into wellbeing if the discrimination under discussion is based on something else?

Lots of potential groupings can form coalitions that "address some of the issues folks are looking to address" - yours is just one of many. It depends on the issue under discussion.

As I said, you're just promoting your pet categorization over some others. And by your own admission, there's fluidity to the population of your category, which implies it might be more critical to focus on inequalities in areas which have much less fluidity in terms of inclusion/exclusion.
Race isn't based on anything measurable.  You can't determine race based on anything genetic as there are no white or black genes or grouping of genes.  It's a social construct that people largely choose based on what they identify with, and it can change based on what they choose to be identified with. 

Other ways to segment people are objectively chosen.  One example would be family income, another could be eye color, another could be hair color (tougher), another could be blood type, another could be state you live in.  All of these are objective groupings, but few of them actually correlate well with your projected success in America.

One thing that correlates well with "wellbeing" in America is your social class, specifically information about your parents relationship or your family income levels growing up, or your current income levels.  Those things have better predictive power regarding how well you're likely to do in America financially, education, etc.

I agree that there could be more possible groups where you can band together to address common issues, and perhaps there are some better than social class.  But my main point is that when you choose to group by race, you end up pitting yourself against the majority race and when you do that, it's generally a losing battle.  But when you try to find common ground that solves a lot of the same issues you care about, but do so by grouping yourselves not by "identity" but rather by other classifications that include a broader cross-section of society, you can actually start to build a coalition that's stronger and broader than the group you're going to get pushback from.

I'm happy to give up social class as a grouping if someone can find some better indicator that's not identity based that better predicts success in america that can also be used as a vehicle to social change.

Race isn't based on anything measurable.  You can't determine race based on anything genetic as there are no white or black genes or grouping of genes.  It's a social construct that people largely choose based on what they identify with, and it can change based on what they choose to be identified with. 

Other ways to segment people are objectively chosen.  One example would be family income, another could be eye color, another could be hair color (tougher), another could be blood type, another could be state you live in.  All of these are objective groupings, but few of them actually correlate well with your projected success in America.

One thing that correlates well with "wellbeing" in America is your social class, specifically information about your parents relationship or your family income levels growing up, or your current income levels.  Those things have better predictive power regarding how well you're likely to do in America financially, education, etc.

I agree that there could be more possible groups where you can band together to address common issues, and perhaps there are some better than social class.  But my main point is that when you choose to group by race, you end up pitting yourself against the majority race and when you do that, it's generally a losing battle.  But when you try to find common ground that solves a lot of the same issues you care about, but do so by grouping yourselves not by "identity" but rather by other classifications that include a broader cross-section of society, you can actually start to build a coalition that's stronger and broader than the group you're going to get pushback from.

I'm happy to give up social class as a grouping if someone can find some better indicator that's not identity based that better predicts success in america that can also be used as a vehicle to social change.
And we will just hold off on addressing minority concerns until we work out this linguistic issue?

Not really sure what you’re asking.  
Obama: we are all one America

racists: Nope, we still hate black people and brown people.  And kinda East Asians.

People of color: uh, guys? They’re just killing black kids in the streets

Obama: we must recognize that we are all one people, even through moments where we see ourselves in the victims in the news

2016 election: Teehee
Obama rode the approach to victories in 2008 and 2012.  Progressive society in general did not follow suit...they kept going with identity politics, demonizing those who disagreed with Obama, calling them racists (i'm sure some were, but not all were).  Black lives matter rose in prominence, the LGBT issue rose in prominence, and folks were bombarded on all sides about how not accepting all these different things made them bigots.

It became an era of identity politics where folks who disagreed were called out for it, called bigots or racists, and it completely soured folks on the other side sufficiently that a huge wave of opposition rose up in the Tea Party and the right had renewed vigor.  This went on for years, with the battle continuing...and then you have Trump who comes in and says all the stuff this group had been feeling and been angry about.  The PC culture, all these folks changing the makeup of the country, all the demonization of people who didn't think it was right and here's Trump telling them it's ok and he's going to bring back the good old days.

I think the 2016 "Teehee" is the comeuppance of the wrath the Identity Politics movement built up on the right.  Being from Louisiana, have you read "Strangers in their own land"?  The overriding narrative that resonated with folks on the far right is that they've been doing what they were supposed to, and all these other "groups" were now getting priority over them, getting to cut in line, getting promoted at their expense and they were tired of it.  Trump was that vehicle for expressing this for many.

So yeah, I think that 2016 should've been the time for Bernie, and likely would've been had the deck not been stacked for Hillary because his message of social class was more tailored for the moment than her more clinical approach to gearing policies that met each category in society, each identity group on the left.  

Anyway, all that to say Obama's vision was responsible for his two wins, but what liberal america was doing in the meantime was full-scale peddling of identity politics, and 2016 was a reaction to it in Trump.

And we will just hold off on addressing minority concerns until we work out this linguistic issue?
I don't understand why you keep saying this as I never have said this or implied it.

What are minority concerns?  Access to good jobs? Upward mobility? Good education for their kids?  A desire to not be discriminated against in ways contrary to law?  Fair treatment by police?  Enforcement of laws?

I mean...tell me what I'm missing?

ETA: The point I'm trying to make is that working by social class rather than identity, minorities can get their same concerns addressed AND be more likely to win elections, thereby actually seeing their concerns championed by elected officials.

I don't understand why you keep saying this as I never have said this or implied it.

What are minority concerns?  Access to good jobs? Upward mobility? Good education for their kids?  A desire to not be discriminated against in ways contrary to law?  Fair treatment by police?  Enforcement of laws?

I mean...tell me what I'm missing?

ETA: The point I'm trying to make is that working by social class rather than identity, minorities can get their same concerns addressed AND be more likely to win elections, thereby actually seeing their concerns championed by elected officials.
I keep saying it because the plan you’ve put forth is “change the wording.”  As though that fixes something.  What is it the people you’re upset with for using the term White Privilege want?

I keep saying it because the plan you’ve put forth is “change the wording.”  As though that fixes something.  What is it the people you’re upset with for using the term White Privilege want?
I've answered this question multiple times already and I'm running out of other ways to answer it.

I've answered this question multiple times already and I'm running out of other ways to answer it.
I apologize, I’m probably just being obtuse. They want you to feel guilty? Is that what you’re referring to? Because then, as Ivan mentioned, they’re idiots. 

I apologize, I’m probably just being obtuse. They want you to feel guilty? Is that what you’re referring to? Because then, as Ivan mentioned, they’re idiots. 
I'm not focused on "changing the wording" but the fundamental structure of the argument from a losing one to one more likely to win.  It's not about semantics, it's about strategy and finding common ground to achieve goals.

The goals of folks who push identity politics, who discuss white privilege, who talk about intersectionality, all want better opportunities for minorities.  They want better education for their kids, fairer treatment under the law, access to quality job opportunities that pay good wages...the list goes on and I didn't include them all.

My point is not that they need to change their wording, but that progressives need to move from identity politics and the language of identity politics, to politics that include larger groups of folks and don't pit folks against each other based on race or sexual identity, things that are identities rather than non-identity based groupings like social class that map better to success/wellbeing in America.

So the TL;DR of this is that identity politics is a losing battle, as is the language of identity politics like "white privilege".  Progressives who care about improving the lives of minorities should switch strategies to representing/advocating for groups of people based on social class or other categories that correlate more directly to wellbeing in America.  This increases the likelihood that they win elections, and see improvements for the people they care about.

I'm not focused on "changing the wording" but the fundamental structure of the argument from a losing one to one more likely to win.  It's not about semantics, it's about strategy and finding common ground to achieve goals.

The goals of folks who push identity politics, who discuss white privilege, who talk about intersectionality, all want better opportunities for minorities.  They want better education for their kids, fairer treatment under the law, access to quality job opportunities that pay good wages...the list goes on and I didn't include them all.

My point is not that they need to change their wording, but that progressives need to move from identity politics and the language of identity politics, to politics that include larger groups of folks and don't pit folks against each other based on race or sexual identity, things that are identities rather than non-identity based groupings like social class that map better to success/wellbeing in America.

So the TL;DR of this is that identity politics is a losing battle, as is the language of identity politics like "white privilege".  Progressives who care about improving the lives of minorities should switch strategies to representing/advocating for groups of people based on social class or other categories that correlate more directly to wellbeing in America.  This increases the likelihood that they win elections, and see improvements for the people they care about.
I agree that a parallel strategy can and should be to change how we talk about race, class, and gender in this country, among other categories.  

But I think that’s a battle that can be fought concurrently and is definitely not everyone’s priority.  Discrimination/privilege should be. 

I agree that a parallel strategy can and should be to change how we talk about race, class, and gender in this country, among other categories.  

But I think that’s a battle that can be fought concurrently and is definitely not everyone’s priority.  Discrimination/privilege should be. 
And that's fine, but the case I've been trying to lay out is that any strategy that furthers identity politics is unlikely to achieve its goals and has already been shown to have undesired consequences.

I'm not sure why one would continue to move forward with a platform/strategy so fundamentally flawed as identity politics when a similar option is available that can achieve similar outcomes with less consequences and more political allies.  Just doesn't make any sense.

To me, it's instituting a ledger system whereby minorities attempt to tally the debts they're owed for being a minority, and the debts owed by the majority (or the oppressor, or colonialists) and attempting to negotiate from that starting point.  It's as if folks who use this kinda language want to enter negotiations by insisting that the white folks in the conversation owe a debt, and that debt should be paid to people based on whatever intersectionality says they are owed.  I don't see how this can ever be an effective negotiating tactic that does anything other than turn off the majority of white folks who are approached this way (which is generally what happens).

Unfortunately, it's interpreted, when white folks get annoyed with this approach, as them not being able to accept their white shame.  And yes, this is actually something that's commonly said but I suspect you've heard it as well.  And perhaps folks like yourself, who have a nuanced or perhaps softer framing of the situation can tone down the shame and guilt angle, but are you willing to say that there is no implied debt in discussions with folks who talk about white privilege?  You seem to interpret it as "responsibility" but do you acknowledge, or do you see it in conversations with others, that in many cases it's approached as a debt rather than a responsibility?
Here's an analogy you probably won't agree with, but here it goes:  You seem to be saying that the people who have created a very unfair game to certain players, which they've been winning for centuries are all of a sudden going to make it more fair because they think it should be more fair and are tired of winning.  Imagine the losers getting the creators to a negotiating table for a new rules summit and them not being able to discuss the inequity of the rules in the past.  They have little to no power to begin with, the fact that they dealt with so much #### and are still even playing becomes a tangible piece and aspect of the game to them.  Which the current players enjoying the rules can easily dismiss cuz, hey, the game is hard and they're just trying to survive as well... you don't see them on god mode, the advantage is barely noticeable now.  But you and I agree it exists, let's just not mention it.

And that's fine, but the case I've been trying to lay out is that any strategy that furthers identity politics is unlikely to achieve its goals and has already been shown to have undesired consequences.

I'm not sure why one would continue to move forward with a platform/strategy so fundamentally flawed as identity politics when a similar option is available that can achieve similar outcomes with less consequences and more political allies.  Just doesn't make any sense.
Because most of the people talking about this aren’t talking “politics” per se.  They’re talking “life.”  And “What life is really like right now.”

Yes, everything is politics.  But not to everyone.  

When you wage political battles along racial identity lines, people fall into the groups to which they identify and stick together which means the largest racial group will win.
So again, might makes right?  There's privilege in being white because white people have waged political battles along racial identity lines for centuries.  It seems you give no weight to history.  There are people still alive today that had to use different bathrooms, etc.  Literally were unallowed to shop in certain stores or be in towns after dark.  That was JUST happening.  And people didn't decide one day that it was unfair and they should share the ability to buy goods and go poop in the same place... people had to FIGHT for that right.  Die and bleed.  And that blood, fight and struggle isn't valid currency to you.  You speak like that was a favor done for them because it was fair and right.

Here's an analogy you probably won't agree with, but here it goes:  You seem to be saying that the people who have created a very unfair game to certain players, which they've been winning for centuries are all of a sudden going to make it more fair because they think it should be more fair and are tired of winning.  Imagine the losers getting the creators to a negotiating table for a new rules summit and them not being able to discuss the inequity of the rules in the past.  They have little to no power to begin with, the fact that they dealt with so much #### and are still even playing becomes a tangible piece and aspect of the game to them.  Which the current players enjoying the rules can easily dismiss cuz, hey, the game is hard and they're just trying to survive as well... you don't see them on god mode, the advantage is barely noticeable now.  But you and I agree it exists, let's just not mention it.
I think it's a poor analogy because it doesn't really fit the key points of the situation, but mostly I think you miss my point.

I'm not saying that we shouldn't talk about inequality in general, but when we draw the lines along racial lines, and make that the operating point from which we speak on personal levels and also politically, the end result is division and resentment rather than progress and solutions.

Instead, if we talked about issues along lines other than race, we can tackle the concerns that minorities have, and also bring more folks along for the ride who can support the cause and make it more likely that the plight of minorities, and some working class whites as well, can be improved.  Largely by focusing on what we as Americans have in common, rather than what divides us.

So again, might makes right?  There's privilege in being white because white people have waged political battles along racial identity lines for centuries.  It seems you give no weight to history.  There are people still alive today that had to use different bathrooms, etc.  Literally were unallowed to shop in certain stores or be in towns after dark.  That was JUST happening.  And people didn't decide one day that it was unfair and they should share the ability to buy goods and go poop in the same place... people had to FIGHT for that right.  Die and bleed.  And that blood, fight and struggle isn't valid currency to you.  You speak like that was a favor done for them because it was fair and right.
Again, you're missing my point.  Likely I'm doing a poor job of explaining myself, but I'll try once more:

I'm not saying might makes right.  I'm not justifying oppression, or ill treatment of minorities.

What I am saying is identity politics, while folks seek to use it to address issues minorities face, ends up causing more problems and making solutions less likely to be achieved.  It does this because it draws the battle lines along racial lines, and when you have minorities split up among a few different lines, and you have whites in one group, and you pit them against each other in a battle for who gets benefits in society at whose expense, then you get white folks lining up against the minorities en masse, voting for candidates who oppose this kind of racial alignment, and in a society where white is the majority race, whites will win a racial battle of numbers.  Enter Donald Trump.

My overriding point in all of this is that I'm a supporter of social justice.  I'm for improving the lives of minorities and I do agree they've had a bad go in our country.  There's no doubt there's a privilege in being white, and being male.  There's no doubt minorities have it rough.  We all agree that things can and should be better for minorities, and we should be working to improve their lives.

However, we can continue down identity politics route, which I'm making a case ends up being counter-productive and producing a backlash making it less likely minorities achieve their political/societal goals...OR...we can switch the conversation and groupings to something that actually aligns better with real-world problems and isn't simply an "identity" like race.  Group people by social class, or some other better metric that maps onto wellbeing in America, and speak to folks in that group across all races.  

Talk to folks in the working class.  Explain how the system is rigged against them by the powerful.  Talk about how justice is different for folks with money than for folks without money.  Talk about how the education system is a disgrace.  Talk about how job opportunities aren't what they need to be.  Talk about how the richest 1% are stockpiling so much of the wealth in this country and then using it to influence politics to ensure they get more tax cuts when their candidates are elected.  Talk about issues that cross racial lines, that connect with everyone and you have a uniting message...one that pulls folks together across racial lines and doesn't make them antagonists but members of the same team.  It's what our society needs right now, and it's a winning strategy that will get minorities, who are over-represented in the working class range social classes.

Then you'll get traction politically, you will face less of a backlash from white voters because you're not continually telling them they have to take a back seat because they're white and that blacks and other minorities go to the front of the line.  Then you'll start to see some real traction on these issues that will make the lives of minorities better, that will get them able to realize more of their political goals and improve their lives.  Because that is really the goal, isn't it?

I think what you're saying is, black people shouldn't bring up the past because it annoys white people who are best in a position to help them.  And you don't want to bite the hand that feeds you. 

I think what you're saying is, black people shouldn't bring up the past because it annoys white people who are best in a position to help them.  And you don't want to bite the hand that feeds you. 
Not just black people.  My example initially was a Puerto Rican friend.  But no, that's not my point.

In a society that's a democracy, you need allies in order to achieve your political goals.  If you set out seeking to convince people they're guilty of something because they're white, it's a losing battle.  Several have said that's not necessarily what white privilege means, but as I've said, operationally, many times that's the approach taken and how it's used in the wild.

So you have an effort by minorities and well meaning progressives to educate people about their white privilege, all the while under the banner of identity politics...where your identity as a minority, or a racial group, or your sexual orientation, or any other category you believe you belong to, is paramount and it's the frame of reference from which the arguments for resolutions are geared.  The natural result of this approach will be to turn off white folks who otherwise could be allies to minorities to achieve goals they are interested in, but because this is the chosen approach, they will turn them off.

It's not because white people can't handle the past.  But it is because most white folks, and really, folks in general regardless of race, don't want to be blamed, shamed, or guilted for things they never did.  And reasonably so.

So when white privilege, white guilt, intersectionality, and identity politics is operationalized and actually used in conversations, I've seen over and over again appeals made to past injustices by people who aren't those they're talking to, being used as a justification for the people they are talking to, to do something that may be counter to their interests presently.  This is a losing strategy.

Oddly enough, those very people can be won over to the causes of minorities by a simple change of approach, by a change of framework of the argument.  Instead of coming from a position of "I'm the oppressed, white folks owe minorities these fixes to their situations due to past injustices" (I know it doesn't have to be this approach, but more often than not it is) they can come at it from a position of "Being working class, or poor, or lower middle class in America is tough because the deck is stacked against us.  We have less options, the rules for us aren't the same as they are for the rich.  The judicial system isn't the same for us as it is for the rich. So much in society is unfair for us because we are in this situation, and we should band together and fight for better opportunities for us, better education for our kids, better retraining opportunities, better justice in the courts, better treatment by law enforcement, etc."

On one hand, you have an "us vs them" mentality where it's minorities against whites.  On the other hand you have a cross-racial representation of folks numbering in the many millions who can talk to each other with "us" language, and talk about common injustices and pitfalls of being in that category, that check almost all of the same boxes that they were trying to get checked by using their "white privilege" and identity politics approaches.

But it's not as simple as just changing language, it's changing the entire framework of how you relate in society to other people from one where we're disadvantaged by identities we put on like race, to situations we don't necessarily chose like being working class and being continually screwed by a system stacked against us by the rich.

Adonis, I think you’re talking political strategy and the social construct and reinventing society and other people are talking about trying to get a job and not get shot by a cop next week.

Because most of the people talking about this aren’t talking “politics” per se.  They’re talking “life.”  And “What life is really like right now.”

Yes, everything is politics.  But not to everyone.  
There are two levels here:

1. Is a framework through which minorities see the world, or can see the world.  In this area, politics doesn't really matter because it's how they make sense of things.  This is fine, so long as you're not trying to convince anyone outside of your own group of your views because once "white privilege" comes into a conversation with 95%+ white folks, and then the follow-up thoughts that there should be shame, blame and guilt for benefitting as a white person because all those benefits came at the expense of minorities...well, that's just not a way you can effectively connect with other humans in any meaningful way.  It's a good way to isolate yourself from others, and worse that that, it's just simply not true that folks bear guilt for their white privilege.  So absent any political component, white privilege, intersectionality, mixed with guilt and shame (which is quite common) is simply a flawed perspective.

2. It's also pretty mainstream politically in progressive circles.  The fact that it's mainstream in progressive politics, means that the success of this approach determines whether real issues minorities face are addressed.  If the approach is flawed, minorities are less likely to see resolutions to their issues because candidates are less likely to win elections.  It's my contention that identity politics as a whole is flawed and doomed to failure for many of the reasons laid out above, but simply because it pits the country in a battle along racial lines and while white folks still are the largest racial group, the white racial group will win these battles.  It's a losing proposition.  

So yes, not everyone sees all discussions as political, but even when these discussions aren't purely political, but are simply interpersonal, they're still wrong and misguided fundamentally.

Adonis, I think you’re talking political strategy and the social construct and reinventing society and other people are talking about trying to get a job and not get shot by a cop next week.
And I'm saying that if black folks want people in power who can help them create systems, or reform systems, so that they're less likely to get shot by a cop next week or get a job, then they need to drop identity politics as a personal framework for how they see the world, and as a political framework.  It's wrong in the former situation, and a flawed strategy in the latter.

by identities we put on like race, to situations we don't necessarily chose like being working class and being continually screwed by a system stacked against us by the rich.
Ok, have a nice season, I'm spitting the hook.
:shrug:, fine by me.  I don't think you've accurately summarized what i've said after multiple attempts, so if spitting the hook means I won't continue trying to explain my point to you in a way you won't misrepresent, then that may be for the best.

And I'm saying that if black folks want people in power who can help them create systems, or reform systems, so that they're less likely to get shot by a cop next week or get a job, then they need to drop identity politics as a personal framework for how they see the world, and as a political framework.  It's wrong in the former situation, and a flawed strategy in the latter.
Well, then it appears we are at one of those fundamental disagreement impasses the internet is so good for. 

I can’t speak to the second term. I don’t hear it used. 

But as far as white privilege goes, it’s a fact. I don’t feel guilty or ashamed about it, but it exists: as a white American I have had, throughout my life, economic and cultural opportunities that a lot of minorities have not had. 

I don’t want to give these up. I don’t feel ashamed about it. I deserve these opportunities in a free society. So does everyone.  What’s important is to acknowledge that the imbalance exists and try to fix it by finding ways to give minorities the same opportunities that I have enjoyed. 
How anyone can feel ashamed about what they are not responsible for is beyond me. You just try to live a better life.  Are things perfect? 

Heck no but they are much better than a generation or two ago.  That is all you hope for in a society. 

Users who are viewing this thread