What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The ***OFFICIAL*** 2018 Pittsburgh Steelers Thread (4 Viewers)

Does anyone know when the Compensatory Pick FA signing end date is? There's a point after which we can sign anyone and not lose a compensatory pick. 

Right now we've only lost 2 free agents, if we sign anyone that wasn't cut, we won't get a comp pick for Leveon. That's not worth it to me.  The Steelers need to wait for one of our FAs to be signed before signing any mediocre players. Not sure there's any player I could see us signing that's worth losing that 3rd rounder. 

Does anyone know when the Compensatory Pick FA signing end date is? There's a point after which we can sign anyone and not lose a compensatory pick. 

Right now we've only lost 2 free agents, if we sign anyone that wasn't cut, we won't get a comp pick for Leveon. That's not worth it to me.  The Steelers need to wait for one of our FAs to be signed before signing any mediocre players. Not sure there's any player I could see us signing that's worth losing that 3rd rounder. 
I am not sure but I am guessing the Steelers know the rules well enough.

Complete random point here.  Cleveland is suddenly the darling team of the NFL and a shoe in to win the division.   They’ve definitely won the offseason but man am I hoping for them to fail.  I have a hunch that they’re going to be a hateable team soon enough.

NFL Update‏ @MySportsUpdate 4m4 minutes ago

#Steelers are adding a WR, reaching an agreement with former #Colts and #Jags WR Donte Moncrief. Expected to be a 2-year deal. (@AdamSchefter first)

I don't hate the Moncrief signing.  They needed someone to be able to play outside to at least keep teams honest when they decide to roll coverage to JJSS inside(which, I assume, they will regularly), and when healthy Moncrief has been capable enough outside that he can't be totally ignored.  

I'm more hoping Washington makes "the leap" in that regard, since he is absolutely a better downfield guy (or was at OSU at least), but Moncrief should allow them to not force it with him (or any rookies they may pickup) if it's not there.

Last edited by a moderator:
Complete random point here.  Cleveland is suddenly the darling team of the NFL and a shoe in to win the division.   They’ve definitely won the offseason but man am I hoping for them to fail.  I have a hunch that they’re going to be a hateable team soon enough.
I currently don't have any ill-will towards Cleveland what-so-ever.  I can root for them a little bit initially even. (Helps I own lots of their players on Off and Def)

I truly hate the Bengals and their classless organization. Full stop.

And I want to beat the Ravens even more then I want to beat the Bengals (who I hope all catch gonorrhea).

NFL Update‏ @MySportsUpdate 4m4 minutes ago

#Steelers are adding a WR, reaching an agreement with former #Colts and #Jags WR Donte Moncrief. Expected to be a 2-year deal. (@AdamSchefter first)
Not bad, not earth shattering. 

Are they going to cut burnett, extend ben, and sign Zach Brown and Berry or Ha Ha?

i just haven’t seen anything on whether they are looking at others or even bringing guys back like Fort. 

I currently don't have any ill-will towards Cleveland what-so-ever.  I can root for them a little bit initially even. (Helps I own lots of their players on Off and Def)

I truly hate the Bengals and their classless organization. Full stop.

And I want to beat the Ravens even more then I want to beat the Bengals (who I hope all catch gonorrhea).
Give it a year with a good Browns team and you'll learn to hate them again.

Not bad, not earth shattering. 

Are they going to cut burnett, extend ben, and sign Zach Brown and Berry or Ha Ha?

i just haven’t seen anything on whether they are looking at others or even bringing guys back like Fort. 
The Ben extension is definitely going to happen.   I am not sure what the deal is for Burnett.     I am not interested in Berry.  They were trying to work out a deal with Fort but other teams were interested.    Ha Ha and Zach Brown are pipe-dreams.

The Ben extension is definitely going to happen.   I am not sure what the deal is for Burnett.     I am not interested in Berry.  They were trying to work out a deal with Fort but other teams were interested.    Ha Ha and Zach Brown are pipe-dreams.
Well, had they rescinded Dupree, cut burnett, and created space via ben ....

The Steelers need to do whatever they can to get  Devin White in the first round and barring that, Devin Smith to address ILB but I wouldn't mind them taking a TE with one of their 3rd round picks.  Maybe Caleb Wilson or Jace Sternberger.

It seems to me that the deal is that they're pissed. They're mad about how AB and Bell and Harrison and Blount turned out, and they aren't going to be dictated to by players. They 100% plan to cut him, but after the safety market shakes out and the demand for his services are even lower.  If the situation arises and they need access to that cap space they can cut him at any time, but going public and saying "I want outta here!" just because you sucked last year and probably were going to get cut anyways, that screwed him over. 

I thought that part of the reason we haven't gone for other FAs was because we didn't want to lose the compensation pick for Bell, but now I'm not sure after the signing of Moncrief. I think that signing Nelson and Moncrief means we get 0 comp picks next year. 

Depending on the $$, I feel pretty good about the Moncrief signing. Hopefully it's very low guaranteed money so we can get out next season if need be with little to no hit. He's a young WR (26 when the season starts) and has shown flashes of talent in the past, just issues staying healthy and on the field. He can provide a solid outside presence, and it's impossible to tell how good he could have been last year if he had someone better than Bortles throwing him the ball. 

I thought that part of the reason we haven't gone for other FAs was because we didn't want to lose the compensation pick for Bell, but now I'm not sure after the signing of Moncrief. I think that signing Nelson and Moncrief means we get 0 comp picks next year. 

Depending on the $$, I feel pretty good about the Moncrief signing. Hopefully it's very low guaranteed money so we can get out next season if need be with little to no hit. He's a young WR (26 when the season starts) and has shown flashes of talent in the past, just issues staying healthy and on the field. He can provide a solid outside presence, and it's impossible to tell how good he could have been last year if he had someone better than Bortles throwing him the ball. 
Agreed.

As for the compensatory picks go I don't think they are trying to do whatever they can to sure up the 2019 roster and not worry about what potential picks they may or may not get in 2020.  As much as the extra #3 is nice it comes at the end of the round so really a #4.    It wouldn't surprise me to see them still add another free agent for depth.  There are some decent RBs still out there.

From Jeremy Fowler ESPN

"

Steelers ILB L.J. Fort signs a three-year deal with the Eagles that can reach up to $10 million with playing time incentives, according to a source. The deal includes $1.9 million in guarantees. Steelers made efforts to keep him but he had other suitors."

I wanted Pittsburgh to resign him and it sounds like the contract he signed was doable.

Report: Steelers are expected to re-sign Daniel McCullers to new two-year contract  :X
Hopefully it's a deal that we can get out of this year if he doesn't win in camp with little to no guaranteed money. 

Also, hopefully it's less than $2 mil per year because I can't imagine he had much demand for his services. 

From Jeremy Fowler ESPN

"

Steelers ILB L.J. Fort signs a three-year deal with the Eagles that can reach up to $10 million with playing time incentives, according to a source. The deal includes $1.9 million in guarantees. Steelers made efforts to keep him but he had other suitors."

I wanted Pittsburgh to resign him and it sounds like the contract he signed was doable.
Ugh. Much rather have for for up to $10 than Chickillo at $8. 

Maybe Thomas and Ola are making the leap this year ....

He did?  What the hell???
Yeah, he was on the practice squad, and they signed him away at the end of the season onto their reserve/future squad I believe. My guess is that he was upset about not making the roster (as were many of us) and knew Mosley was leaving so he'd have a shot next year.

McCullers signed for 2 years $2.75 million. That's not bad, we'll see if he's able to win a spot in camp if we draft any competition for him. 

Also, it's possible that LJ Fort counts as a top 50% ILB contract and helps us retain a compensation pick. There's a lot of ILBs signed to rookie deals or vet minimum deals. 

First thing I thought of when I heard they might get Bills pick at 9. But really not sure 9 was good enough, I don't think it will be to get him.
The window is closing and they have a huge hole in the middle. If they love him they need to try and do what they can to move up. Mocks I have seen have him going from 9-11, Not sure what it would take to move from 20 to that range

The window is closing and they have a huge hole in the middle. If they love him they need to try and do what they can to move up. Mocks I have seen have him going from 9-11, Not sure what it would take to move from 20 to that range
Probably at least our 2nd.

Also, rumors have the Steelers interested in Golden Tate and Justin Houston, not sure if the Tate rumors were only before Moncrief or ongoing. Also not sure I really want us to sign Tate, he was just meh last year. 

The Houston rumors seem much more believable, but it's thought that the Steelers could try and sign Dupree to a multi-year contract to reduce his cap hit from $9 mil this year, but that would make 0 sense if we also get Houston to be across from Watt. 

My ideal Friday = a Big Ben 2-year extension, and announcing that we signed Houston to a 3-year deal. We want any big deals to end simultaneously to Big Ben so that we can drop all that cash and be ready to rebuild. 

Is there any chance we extend Cam Heyward 2 years to reduce his cap hit? He's signed for this year and next year, and has a cap hit of almost $15 mil this year and $13 mil next year. 

Also, if a fantastic DE falls to us in the 2nd, I think we should take that opportunity, because right now we don't have great DE depth, and Tuitt hasn't been playing as well as he was a year ago. 

Golden Tate signed with the Giants, I'm glad we didn't get him but I think he's older and a bit overrated. 

I don’t know this voodoo but this dood says Bell should still garner a 3rd round comp pick: https://twitter.com/nickkorte/status/1106279625519325184?s=21
Should be accurate, but if we sign any more UFAs we'd have no comp pick. We got lucky that LJ Fort got a semi-decent contract to cancel out our signing of Moncrief, and James cancels out Nelson, so we still get one for Bell. This is why I want us to go after Houston, he was cut so he doesn't count against comp picks, and then we could take a ILB (Bush) in the 1st and not be screwed at CB, OLB, or WR, because we covered that in FA. 

Golden Tate signed with the Giants, I'm glad we didn't get him but I think he's older and a bit overrated. 

Should be accurate, but if we sign any more UFAs we'd have no comp pick. We got lucky that LJ Fort got a semi-decent contract to cancel out our signing of Moncrief, and James cancels out Nelson, so we still get one for Bell. This is why I want us to go after Houston, he was cut so he doesn't count against comp picks, and then we could take a ILB (Bush) in the 1st and not be screwed at CB, OLB, or WR, because we covered that in FA. 
I was kind of wanting to get Golden Tate but after seeing what the giants gave him, no thanks. He got 23 million guaranteed I think, isn't that pretty close to Bell? Lol

Leeroy Jenkins said:
With OBJ having an $18mm dead money hit?  What are they doing there??
Gettleman is a terrible GM. He believes 100% in his player evaluations, which aren't very good. Last year he signed Jon Stewart in free agency and said that he hasn't lost a step (delusional) and then drafted a RB #2 overall when they have significant needs at QB. 

In Steelers news, it looks like the Berry signing and Chickillo signing are very team friendly and with little guaranteed money. It's highly possible the team moves on after this season if there's other players in place, or moves on from Berry during this offseason if they get a rookie punter, he would only have $700k in dead money. 

Why is the Moncrief deal still not listed anywhere? People that were signed a day after him have their deal #s fully announced, but his have been a secret. Hope it's not because we vastly overpaid. At the same time, I'm not sure what amount would be ok. Adam Humphries and John Brown got $9 mil per year, I feel like it'll be around there, but hopefully lower. 

Hoping to get some cap relief today via ben and dupree contracts so that we can sign Houston and/or Brown ....

I guess we will draft another safety or force burnett to actually play this year?

Hoping to get some cap relief today via ben and dupree contracts so that we can sign Houston and/or Brown ....

I guess we will draft another safety or force burnett to actually play this year?
Houston just started following 4 Steelers on Twitter. It's stupid, but about 50% of the time it's a sign that the player has interest in the team. Signing him would be huge.

My guess is that the Steelers still cut Burnett at some point, not sure if there's a point after which his contract is fully guaranteed for the season. Also think we probably draft a middle round Safety (3-6) not early, because I think Edmunds and Davis are seen as the answer within the building. Could change is some great Safety falls to us in round 2.

I thought the same thing. 

Steelers still have a lot of depth holes to fill or guys to re-sign. DHB, Hunter, Ridley, Fort, Sensabaugh, Behre, James all gone or unsigned. 
It seems like they're really striving to get younger. A couple years ago it really bit us in the butt that we had one of the oldest teams in the NFL, I think that the FO sees that the end of Ben's career is closing in, and when it does, we're going to need a solid base but also lots of cap room. I wouldn't be surprised if we still resigned a couple of those guys, but equally I could see them just going for draftees/UDFAs. 

The NFL New Year came last week. Yinz wanna start the new 2019 Steelers thread? It will be nice to shed the vestiges of all the recent drama that surrounded the team last year.

Former Rams’ LB Mark Barron reached agreement on a two-year, $12 million deal with the Pittsburgh Steelers, per source. A rare free-agent foray for Pittsburgh.

Hmmm, not that I don't like Barron, the player, but how do they see him fitting into the scheme?  He certainly can't be asked to play outside with his hand in the dirt.

Lining him up more like a hyrbrid S/LB I guess....which was supposed to be Edmunds' gig, non?

He is a coverage ILB for a 3-4.  And a weakside coverage backer in the 4-3.  Think Wesley Woodyard Den/Ten.

Users who are viewing this thread